PDA

View Full Version : GDT 8/14/2013: Phillies @ Braves

Pages : [1] 2 3

Krovahn
08-14-2013, 03:51 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-g_rTE7qaXag/UAINHwZiVBI/AAAAAAAAE1I/_ayVSBuYK4E/s320/braves.jpg

Tonight's lineup for your Atlanta Braves:
Jason Heyward RF
Justin Upton LF
Freddie Freeman 1B
Evan Gattis C
Chris Johnson 3B
Tyler Pastornicky 2B
Bossman Jr. Upton CF
Paul Janish SS
Brandon Beachy P

Tonight's lineup for the visiting Phillies:
Jimmy Rollins SS
Michael Young 1B
Chase Utley 2B
Dominic Brown LF
Darin Ruf RF
Cody Asche 3B
John Mayberry CF
Carlos Ruiz C
John Lannan P

Orphan Black
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Hope Beachy keeps the progress up tonight.

Hulavol
08-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Love it when the big white bear is in there!!

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Damn, Janish and Pnick in there? Beachy's gonna hafta be good

zbhargrove
08-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Well we don't have to look at Uggla and BJ bat together now... now (at least for today) we have to look at BJ and Janish together... I think I pefer the former, but Simmons prob does need a day off. I just wish we had a better offensive backup.

zbhargrove
08-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Damn, Janish and Pnick in there? Beachy's gonna hafta be good

Are you referring to their defense or offense? Pnick is a fine defensive 2nd baseman and Janish is a fantastic defensive SS who can't hit. Offensively, yes it sucks to have Janish in there but Pnick is much better than Uggla stick wise.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 05:19 PM
I would have liked to have the main lineup in there to try to win the series, especially with the off day coming tomorrow. But maybe Janish can surprise us. Let's hope John Lannan doesn't put one of his two-hit shut outs up.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I would have liked to have the main lineup in there to try to win the series, especially with the off day coming tomorrow. But maybe Janish can surprise us. Let's hope John Lannan doesn't put one of his two-hit shut outs up.

I understand giving Janish a game at short. But it would be better to do so on a day Mac starts and BJ sits, IMO.

parkvadawg
08-14-2013, 05:46 PM
BJ carries the offense tonight. Feels it in my bones.

cajunrevenge
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Simmons stats over the last 7 days .150/.227/.200. I dont think he will be missed offensively.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Are you referring to their defense or offense? Pnick is a fine defensive 2nd baseman and Janish is a fantastic defensive SS who can't hit. Offensively, yes it sucks to have Janish in there but Pnick is much better than Uggla stick wise.
Offense. And when Pastornicky hits 21 hrs in a season i'll buy that he's "much better" than Uggla offensively. You people put so much stock in batting average. It's cute.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Offense. And when Pastornicky hits 21 hrs in a season i'll buy that he's "much better" than Uggla offensively. You people put so much stock in batting average. It's cute.

Pastornicky has a 1 DRS at second for his MLB career (small sample size I know) while Uggla is at -15 for this season. So defensively Pastornicky is a clear upgrade, even if he plays only average or a bit below at second.

As far as the offense goes, Uggla OPS this year isn't even .700 including his 21 homers. Plus he's one of the worst with RISP (and strikes out a lot with a runner at third and less than two outs). Pastornicky doesn't need to hit 21 homers to top that offensively. He just needs to make contact better and put up a .650 OPS or better. This will be enough to top Uggla as long as Pastornicky makes a little contact in situations Uggla almost never does (and also uses his speed to steal some bases).

tvsportscaster
08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Tarp is on the field it's raining in Atlanta yet again. Game will be delayed.

CrimsonCowboy
08-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Another rain delay

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Tarp is on the field it's raining in Atlanta yet again. Game will be delayed.

We've been losing everytime there is a rain delay a lot lately (or so it seems). This being the case and given our line-up I'd be okay with a rain out. Then again that might not be good if the boys lose their off day tomorrow.

BlackwaterPark
08-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Damn rain :(

chopdrew
Lol. Is this where someone tells me about "situational baseball" again? That's quaint, like when my grandma used to take the phone off the hook during lightning storms so the house wouldn't get hit. Situational baseball does not exist over the course of 162 games, and people that advocate one player over another because of their ability to "put it in play" miss the point. I don't dispute that uggla's been hit & miss this year, but scratch singles don't impress me, regardless of situation. Mickey Mantle once said about Pete Rose that "if he (Mantle) had gone to work every day trying to hit scratch singles, he'd have worn a skirt." Don't confuse "contact" with production.

BlackwaterPark
We've been losing everytime there is a rain delay a lot lately (or so it seems). This being the case and given our line-up I'd be okay with a rain out.

Not I....Double headers are brutal

tvsportscaster
08-14-2013, 06:06 PM

In all likelihood if this one is rained out, they would play it tomorrow as both teams are off. The Phillies don't come back to Atlanta until the final series of the year, and the Braves certainly don't want a doubleheader that weekend certainly not with the post-season looming.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM

A double header in late Sept with our call-ups should be easy. Keep in mind that by then I expect we'd already locked up our division too. But it is possible they might make it up tomorrow (our off day) so that wouldn't be good.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 06:09 PM
In all likelihood if this one is rained out, they would play it tomorrow as both teams are off. The Phillies don't come back to Atlanta until the final series of the year, and the Braves certainly don't want a doubleheader that weekend certainly not with the post-season looming.

I think we'd prefer the latter personally. We'll have extra players on hand (Sept. call-ups) to play it (and should have already won our division). But I agree that we wouldn't want to play tomorrow our off day.

Hulavol
08-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Agree. I do not want a double header the last series of the season.
Besides, I am psyched for baseball tonight...

tvsportscaster
08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I think we'd prefer the latter personally. We'll have extra players on hand (Sept. call-ups) to play it (and should have already won our division). But I agree that we wouldn't want to play tomorrow our off day.

They were talking on tv, that they probably wouldn't want to risk it the last weekend of the season and it would be played tomorrow instead. However, that appears to be a moot point, because the rain has already slackened off and they should be playing shortly.

stpeteirish
08-14-2013, 06:14 PM
but if they play in Sept we'll have Uggla back, with new eyes, its a no brainer Sarcasm

mfree80
08-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Any word of the likelihood of,getting this one in? Or a potential start time?

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Lol. Is this where someone tells me about "situational baseball" again? That's quaint, like when my grandma used to take the phone off the hook during lightning storms so the house wouldn't get hit. Situational baseball does not exist over the course of 162 games, and people that advocate one player over another because of their ability to "put it in play" miss the point. I don't dispute that uggla's been hit & miss this year, but scratch singles don't impress me, regardless of situation. Mickey Mantle once said about Pete Rose that "if he (Mantle) had gone to work every day trying to hit scratch singles, he'd have worn a skirt." Don't confuse "contact" with production.

If you think my point was only about situational hitting (or contact for that matter), then you missed part of it. I noted that Pastornicky wouldn't need to hit 21 homers to put up a similar OPS as Uggla too. And Pastornicky also brings speed to steal bases.

tvsportscaster
08-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Any word of the likelihood of,getting this one in? Or a potential start time?

Listening to the radio rain delay show, they probably will get it in, the rain is lightening up, no word on the potential start time.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 06:19 PM
They were talking on tv, that they probably wouldn't want to risk it the last weekend of the season and it would be played tomorrow instead. However, that appears to be a moot point, because the rain has already slackened off and they should be playing shortly.

I know, that's why I edited my earlier post saying playing tomorrow wouldn't be good. I was okay with playing a DH in late Sept. though for the reasons I previously noted. I figured it would give us a chance to see someone like Mejia and Poveda (pitcher) play that might not otherwise. Which is fine by me once we lock up our division.

Bdawg2309
08-14-2013, 06:26 PM
another L coming?
let's hope the trend of the last 2 rain delayed games doesn't continue

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 06:29 PM
If you think my point was only about situational hitting (or contact for that matter), then you missed part of it. I noted that Pastornicky wouldn't need to hit 21 homers to put up a similar OPS as Uggla too. And Pastornicky also brings speed to steal bases.
Stealing bases is dumb. Unnecessary. I'm a Moneyball guy through & through. Listen, Uggla's been frustrating. No doubt. I think this LASIK will do him some good, and I hope it will, because when right, he hits home runs. That's why we paid him. I get really frustrated w people who talk about his batting average, because we didn't pay him to go 3-4 with three singles. I like Pastornicky, I think he's a better option off the bench than Janni. I just roll my eyes at people who think the key to winning baseball is contact. Playing for one run an inning is a coward's mentality.

50PoundHead
08-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Stealing bases is dumb. Unnecessary. I'm a Moneyball guy through & through. Listen, Uggla's been frustrating. No doubt. I think this LASIK will do him some good, and I hope it will, because when right, he hits home runs. That's why we paid him. I get really frustrated w people who talk about his batting average, because we didn't pay him to go 3-4 with three singles. I like Pastornicky, I think he's a better option off the bench than Janni. I just roll my eyes at people who think the key to winning baseball is contact. Playing for one run an inning is a coward's mentality.

I don't disagree with the risk/reward angle of what you're saying, but you have to make contact to hit a HR and Uggla isn't making contact consistently. Sure, he still hits the big fly, but that is just about the only thing he brings to the table. You think any Moneyball organization would be paying Uggla what he's getting paid?

Enscheff
08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Moneyball guy talking about HRs? Did you even read Moneyball?

The problem with a lot of sabermetrics is that it assumes all runs are created equally, and all games are equally important.

Scoring 1 run off Kershaw in the NLCS is harder and more valuable than scoring 1 run off some scrub at the back end of the BP in September when the division is clinched.

When the Braves are down 2-1 in game 1 of the NLCS and Mac leads off with a double like he did a few nights ago, the rest of the lineup needs to score him. It is much easier to hit a grounder to 2B and a sac fly off Kershaw than it is to touch him up for a HR.

Most of the time it is best for players to take borderline pitches in an attempt to draw a walk rather than make weak contact, or swing for an extra base hit, but in some situtations contact needs to be made.

If you can't understand how sabemetrics fail at the micro level, then there isn't really any discussion to be had.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 06:43 PM

I believe there is a place for stealing bases. But I agree that we shouldn't be sending runners who don't have a very good stolen base percentage (including their track record). Plus it also goes back to my situational point you seem to totally dismiss. So I do think there are times where it's good to go for the stolen base. Otis Nixon was one of my favorite Braves back in the day.

That said, I actually appreciate Moneyball and I hate all the bunting that Fredi does.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't disagree with the risk/reward angle of what you're saying, but you have to make contact to hit a HR and Uggla isn't making contact consistently. Sure, he still hits the big fly, but that is just about the only thing he brings to the table. You think any Moneyball organization would be paying Uggla what he's getting paid?
Yeah, if they couldn't move him. Listen, the guy hit 21 hr blind. He walks a good bit, and his eyesight is an issue. As a guy who's eyesight went pretty much midseason playing college ball, I completely identify with that whole "duck out of the way of a curveball" thing. I sympathize with the guy. The guys hit 76 hr's as a Brave. That's not bad at all. And that in and of itself is value.

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Im fairly certain we paid Uggla to be. .240-.260 average guy, but even with the home runs and walks he's around .180.

Jesus he's so terrible I would have accepted .210-.225

parkvadawg
08-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Word on the start time?

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Moneyball guy talking about HRs? Did you even read Moneyball?

The problem with a lot of sabermetrics is that it assumes all runs are created equally, and all games are equally important.

Scoring 1 run off Kershaw in the NLCS is harder and more valuable than scoring 1 run off some scrub at the back end of the BP in September when the division is clinched.

When the Braves are down 2-1 in game 1 of the NLCS and Mac leads off with a double like he did a few nights ago, the rest of the lineup needs to score him. It is much easier to hit a grounder to 2B and a sac fly off Kershaw than it is to touch him up for a HR.

Most of the time it is best for players to take borderline pitches in an attempt to draw a walk rather than make weak contact, or swing for an extra base hit, but in some situtations contact needs to be made.

If you can't understand how sabemetrics fail at the micro level, then there isn't really any discussion to be had.

Don't talk down to me, dick. I understand sabermetrics. I also understand how runs are different in different situations. I also understand that if you play to only score one run against Kershaw, chances are that's all you're going to do. If you only get one, be fine with it, but don't change everything you do because you think the pitcher you're facing is elite. Playing for one, particularly in early innings, playoffs or no, gets you beat more often than not.

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Let's keep it civil guys. Thanks.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Im fairly certain we paid Uggla to be. .240-.260 average guy, but even with the home runs and walks he's around .180.

Jesus he's so terrible I would have accepted .210-.225

Batting average doesn't matter. His obp is lower than i'd like, and thats disappointing, but batting average is archaic. I'm more concerned over whether or not he eats too much garlic than I am with his batting average. He strikes out too much, and his obp is lower than normal for him, but batting average just takes up a spot on his baseball card at this point. We as a people have WAY more accurate measure of his productivity than batting average. Now, you could say that those way more accurate measures are also lacking, and i'd agree with you, but don't tell me about batting average. You're smarter than that.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Let's keep it civil guys. Thanks.
My bad, Keif. I don't like being talked down to. Won't happen again. Going stir crazy waiting for game.

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Batting average doesn't matter. His obp is lower than i'd like, and thats disappointing, but batting average is archaic. I'm more concerned over whether or not he eats too much garlic than I am with his batting average. He strikes out too much, and his obp is lower than normal for him, but batting average just takes up a spot on his baseball card at this point. We as a people have WAY more accurate measure of his productivity than batting average. Now, you could say that those way more accurate measures are also lacking, and i'd agree with you, but don't tell me about batting average. You're smarter than that.

I don't normally care about batting average but .180 for a starting second baseman getting 15 million is unacceptable. His OBP would be higher if his batting average was better.

jpx7
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm more concerned over whether or not he eats too much garlic

That's not possible.

tvsportscaster
08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Word on the start time?

Still raining, they're a long way from starting.

parkvadawg
08-14-2013, 07:05 PM
That's not possible.

Agreed no such thing

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 07:09 PM
This season convinced me batting average was overrated considering CJ and Freddi are our only average guys. Every one else has been closer to 200 than 300. But I repeat, Ugglas's .180 for how much he is getting paid is unacceptable. Bj doesn't even walk.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't normally care about batting average but .180 for a starting second baseman getting 15 million is unacceptable. His OBP would be higher if his batting average was better.
Well, you're not wrong about his numbers. .305 obp is unacceptable. But you guys act like he's not trying, like he's sitting at home counting his money and laughing evilly. I hope this LASIK helps. If it doesn't, I'll be ready to give up on him too.

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Well, you're not wrong about his numbers. .305 obp is unacceptable. But you guys act like he's not trying, like he's sitting at home counting his money and laughing evilly. I hope this LASIK helps. If it doesn't, I'll be ready to give up on him too.

Never said he wasn't trying. I know he cares because he drops an f-bomb after every strike out. However he is the highest paid player on the team and this isn't little league where you get A for effort.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 07:21 PM

I don't recall ever questioning Uggla's effort. I love that he always hustles to first, etc. Now I have questioned BJ for not hustling, but not Uggla.

tvsportscaster
08-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Tarp is coming off, no start time yet.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Never said he wasn't trying. I know he cares because he drops an f-bomb after every strike out. However he is the highest paid player on the team and this isn't little league where you get A for effort.

BJ makes more than him. Not that THAT helps his case...;)

tvsportscaster
08-14-2013, 07:28 PM
8:55 First pitch

ESP47
08-14-2013, 07:29 PM

What on earth are you talking about? First you say batting average doesn't matter, then you say his obp is lower than you'd like. Now considering Uggla is one of baseballs walk leaders....what other useless stat out there would he need to improve to get his obp up to his career norms?

You say playing for 1 run is foolish. So why does it matter if he strikes out too much? Swing for the fences if 1 run innings and batting average don't matter.

You're coming at everyone as this statistical know it all and then you're turning around pointing out Uggla's faults...which all in turn point directly at the very statistic that you're saying doesn't matter.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Lincecum sure isn't what he use to be, he looks rather bad against the Nats so far tonight.

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 07:36 PM
8:55 first pitch

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:41 PM
What on earth are you talking about? First you say batting average doesn't matter, then you say his obp is lower than you'd like. Now considering Uggla is one of baseballs walk leaders....what other useless stat out there would he need to improve to get his obp up to his career norms?

You say playing for 1 run is foolish. So why does it matter if he strikes out too much? Swing for the fences if 1 run innings and batting average don't matter.

You're coming at everyone as this statistical know it all and then you're turning around pointing out Uggla's faults...which all in turn point directly at the very statistic that you're saying doesn't matter.

The statement "batting average doesn't matter, but his obp is low." isnt at all contradictory. I understand how on base percentage is calculated.

I do think playing for one run is foolish. At any point. A team should be fighting to keep an inning from ending, regardless of who the pitcher is.

I'm probably Uggla's biggest supporter. I think his HR's, RBIs, and runs scored are undervalued. But if he's going to keep up his current contact rate, he's gonna have to walk a lot more.

Do you think batting average matters? If so, please never address me again.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Since there was a rain delay, we probably lose.

The one plus of the delay was them showing the Chipper documentary. Makes me miss him even more.

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Dan Uggla has an OPS of just .696 this season. Sorry but that is pathetic. No arguing about it. Pastornicky is capable of posting an OPS close to that.

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Since there was a rain delay, we probably lose.

The one plus of the delay was them showing the Chipper documentary. Makes me miss him even more.

I miss him too but I've seen it so many times that I'm sick of it. I'm sick of all these rain delay shows. Why can't they show something different?

50PoundHead
08-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah, if they couldn't move him. Listen, the guy hit 21 hr blind. He walks a good bit, and his eyesight is an issue. As a guy who's eyesight went pretty much midseason playing college ball, I completely identify with that whole "duck out of the way of a curveball" thing. I sympathize with the guy. The guys hit 76 hr's as a Brave. That's not bad at all. And that in and of itself is value.

The point being, he's effing blind. His trend line was in steady decline before his eyes started bothering him. My point is this (and others have decried your Moneyball comparison) is that a Moneyball team would have brought him in for a year and then let him walk because he was going to get too expensive. If you look at the A's, that's what they did consistently in the early-2000s after they had to break up their core (the 3 stud pitches, Giambi, and Tejada). If a team is supposedly hamstrung by budget issues, you don't roll the dice with a guy like Uggla. And unfortunately, Uggla doesn't get any points for what he's done in the past. This ain't golf where you get a handicap based on what you've done before. The game is played in real time and space.

As for sympathy, I sympathize with pretty much every player when they are trending downward as fast as Uggla is.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:50 PM
The point being, he's effing blind. His trend line was in steady decline before his eyes started bothering him. My point is this (and others have decried your Moneyball comparison) is that a Moneyball team would have brought him in for a year and then let him walk because he was going to get too expensive. If you look at the A's, that's what they did consistently in the early-2000s after they had to break up their core (the 3 stud pitches, Giambi, and Tejada). If a team is supposedly hamstrung by budget issues, you don't roll the dice with a guy like Uggla. And unfortunately, Uggla doesn't get any points for what he's done in the past. This ain't golf where you get a handicap based on what you've done before. The game is played in real time and space.

As for sympathy, I sympathize with pretty much every player when they are trending downward as fast as Uggla is.
So they would've cut him, knowing they'd still have had to pay him for three years, OR, they would've traded him to some team and ate 80 cents on the dollar to get rid of him?

jsebe10
08-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Dude, Uggla sucks. You might have the same eye sight as him...

I'll stop putting so much stock into batting average just as soon as MLB stops handing out accolades for it.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
I miss him too but I've seen it so many times that I'm sick of it. I'm sick of all these rain delay shows. Why can't they show something different?

It was the first time I'd seen it, but I agree they tend to re-run stuff over and over. Wish they had the rights to some old highlights video or something like that.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Also, I've had LASIK. It's phenomenal. It's Tommy John for the optic system. I see better than 20/20 now. It wouldn't surprise me if he saw significant improvement from this.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Dude, Uggla sucks. You might have the same eye sight as him...

I'll stop putting so much stock into batting average just as soon as MLB stops handing out accolades for it.

They shouldn't give accolades for it anymore.

thethe
08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Also, I've had LASIK. It's phenomenal. It's Tommy John for the optic system. I see better than 20/20 now. It wouldn't surprise me if he saw significant improvement from this.

I agree. I think we are going to see a better Uggla in September. I really do not want him on the team but his level of ineptitude was much more than just simple regression.

thethe
08-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Batting average does matter to an extent. You have to prove that you can actually hit a baseball. Not saying you need to hit 300 but you can't hit 230 and be effective IMO for a long period of time. Sure, there is the rare case of Adam Dunn but that is few and far between.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 07:57 PM
So they would've cut him, knowing they'd still have had to pay him for three years, OR, they would've traded him to some team and ate 80 cents on the dollar to get rid of him?

I'm pretty sure part of 50's point was that they'd let him walk (instead of signing him long term to a big contract right away like we did).

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Bad call yet again.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 08:00 PM
It's not the most important stat, but there's still something to be said for how many hits you get on average.

ESP47
08-14-2013, 08:01 PM
The statement "batting average doesn't matter, but his obp is low." isnt at all contradictory. I understand how on base percentage is calculated.

I do think playing for one run is foolish. At any point. A team should be fighting to keep an inning from ending, regardless of who the pitcher is.

I'm probably Uggla's biggest supporter. I think his HR's, RBIs, and runs scored are undervalued. But if he's going to keep up his current contact rate, he's gonna have to walk a lot more.

Do you think batting average matters? If so, please never address me again.

Yeah batting average matters and I'm going to address you with it whether you like it or not.

There's only a certain amount of walks a player can draw unless they're being pitched around ala Barry Bonds. Dan Uggla isn't a player that pitchers pitch around. He draws walks by having a good eye and taking borderline pitches that sometimes get him on base and sometimes send him back to the pine. Statistically there's only so many walks a guy like Uggla can take before he has hardly any hits and has a record smashing amount of strikeouts. If you're already one of the top players at drawing walks and your OBP is still hovering around .300...then the only other plausible explanation is batting average. You see if Mr. Uggla had a "normal" batting average of .250 or so, he'd now have an OBP of about .370. Oh how wonderful would that be?!?

Hitting the ball and not getting out wins games. What a novel idea!

If you're going to ***** and moan about being talked down to, I'd suggest not talking down to others at the same time.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Batting average does matter to an extent. You have to prove that you can actually hit a baseball. Not saying you need to hit 300 but you can't hit 230 and be effective IMO for a long period of time. Sure, there is the rare case of Adam Dunn but that is few and far between.
You can if you walk enough to keep your obp at a respectable level. My point is, and has been for a while, that there is no difference between a walk and a hit. I believe that. Getting on base is better than not getting on base. Has Uggla been doing that enough? No. He hasn't. And I agree with anyone else who thinks that. I just think we put way too much stock in a "batting" stat that throws out between 25-35% of a guys at bats.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah batting average matters and I'm going to address you with it whether you like it or not.

There's only a certain amount of walks a player can draw unless they're being pitched around ala Barry Bonds. Dan Uggla isn't a player that pitchers pitch around. He draws walks by having a good eye and taking borderline pitches that sometimes get him on base and sometimes send him back to the pine. Statistically there's only so many walks a guy like Uggla can take before he has hardly any hits and has a record smashing amount of strikeouts. If you're already one of the top players at drawing walks and your OBP is still hovering around .300...then the only other plausible explanation is batting average. You see if Mr. Uggla had a "normal" batting average of .250 or so, he'd now have an OBP of about .370. Oh how wonderful would that be?!?

Hitting the ball and not getting out wins games. What a novel idea!

If you're going to ***** and moan about being talked down to, I'd suggest not talking down to others at the same time.

Well, enjoy being wrong. Batting average is obsolete as a measure of a players effectiveness.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Good job working around some bad luck. Let's score early and often.

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I miss Simba's defense already. I'm sure Beachy does too.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty sure part of 50's point was that they'd let him walk (instead of signing him long term to a big contract right away like we did).

Sure, but he hit .290 the year before they traded for him. I'm sure that was enough for some people. Hell, his first year here he only hit .233, but he had 36 hr. That's an output I was more than happy with.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Good job working around some bad luck. Let's score early and often.

Janish is solid defensively at short and I don't mean to pick on him. But Simmons likely makes both those plays for outs. That's just how great Simmons is defensively. It makes you appreciate him even more when he's not in there.

Tapate50
Anyone feel like having Simmons in there would have shortened that inning by about 7 or 8 pitches?

BravesBlock
I had it back in 2000 and agree that it is awesome. As long as his bat speed hasn't dropped off as some here have speculated then he should at least clearly see the ball miss his bat. 😄

AUTiger7222
You can if you walk enough to keep your obp at a respectable level. My point is, and has been for a while, that there is no difference between a walk and a hit. I believe that. Getting on base is better than not getting on base. Has Uggla been doing that enough? No. He hasn't. And I agree with anyone else who thinks that. I just think we put way too much stock in a "batting" stat that throws out between 25-35% of a guys at bats.

If you truly believe there's no difference between a hit and a walk you need to get a clue. It's a hell of a lot easier to score on 3 singles in a row than it is to get 4 straight walks to score a run. And for all the praise you're giving Uggla about having 21 homeruns he still has a slugging percentage below .400 and an OPS below .600. Sorry but those are terrible numbers especially when the guy's average is .180.

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Anyone feel like having Simmons in there would have shortened that inning by about 7 or 8 pitches?

Not sure if he could have done anyting with Browns grounder but he definitely makes the play on Michael Young.

Shouldn't be a slight to Janish because Simmons might be only a handful of MLB SS that can make that play.

thethe
Heyward is amazing!

TURBO
boooooom

Braves1976

No doubt about it.

Good start by Heyward!

The Chosen One
Love Heyward.

AUTiger7222
HOMERUN JASON HEYWARD!!!!!

Tapate50
If he love baseball that would have been a two run job. Nice!

chopdrew
Ok, onto game discussion. Nice job working out of trouble there, Beach.

Gary82
08-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Heyward's nothing but a 4th OFer.

bravesnumberone
Great start!

AUTiger7222
I absolutely love it when Jason Heyward is doing that!

Gary82
08-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Jason's avg up to .255 now. Amazing comeback.

Heyward
Love Heyward.

Thanks.

The Chosen One
Heyward is the next Francoeur.

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Sure, but he hit .290 the year before they traded for him. I'm sure that was enough for some people. Hell, his first year here he only hit .233, but he had 36 hr. That's an output I was more than happy with.

Unless Dan Uggla has had eye issues for 3 years now he's not come close to the same level of production with the Braves that he had with the Marlins

2006 - .819
2007 - .805
2008 - .874
2009 - .813
2010 - .877
2011 - .764
2012 - .732
2013 - .696

JusticeForAll23
We've already matched our run total from our previous two rain delay games....combined!

50PoundHead

I had some details of the contract wrong, but what I'm arguing is that they shouldn't have extended him for four years when (or shortly after) they traded for him. They should have let him play a year and then let him gauge the market. He had six years in and would have been a free agent. If he has a monster year, offer him arbitration. Of course, the Braves don't do that.

As for batting average not mattering, I agree it is not the sole determinant of a player's value. I don't think any one statistical category is by itself. For the record, Uggla's isoOBP is the second highest of his career, so the fact that his OPS is low is directly related to his failure to hit the ball. One can argue, perhaps persuasively, that BABIP has an element of luck, but when you are striking out at the rate Uggla is, luck's not playing that big a role.

I don't have anything inherently against Uggla. He is who he is, but he's if he's not an .800 OPS guy with a bat, he's not worth what he's being paid.

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Yep

skidlee
08-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't see why anyone would want Pastor getting 500+ ABs as their teams starting 2b. I just don't see his bat playing in the majors well enough to be considered and everyday player.

Has a team ever does a shift where they move to the opposite field? Because thats exactly want you would do for pastor. He is a punch and judy hitter with sub par D.

I hope the braves trade him.

Gary82
08-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Another hit for Freeman. ho hum

thethe
BE PATIENT EVAN!

Julio3000
Heyward is amazing!

Could probably move him now.

bravesnumberone
Weightroom.

Great baserunning by Freddie

thethe
So close. If this was a hot night that was gone.

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Could probably move him now.

Could we get Francouer back for him?

Braves1976
Gattis just missed a three run bomb, but worked out like bunting both runners up.

parkvadawg
Wonder when the "I was wrong about Jason posts will start" it's about that time.

Braves1976
Come on CJ!

AUTiger7222
I don't see why anyone would want Pastor getting 500+ ABs as their teams starting 2b. I just don't see his bat playing in the majors well enough to be considered and everyday player.

Has a team ever does a shift where they move to the opposite field? Because thats exactly want you would do for pastor. He is a punch and judy hitter with sub par D.

I agree. Rev isn't a guy you want starting but I think he would be a good bench bat who could hit enough if he needed to start for a couple of weeks you wouldn't suffer from having absolutely no production in that spot.

zitothebrave
08-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Who cares less about baseball, Jason or Justin?

Dalyn
08-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Could we get Francouer back for him?

Not if thethe Gonzalez has anything to do with it!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4604596888144261&pid=15.1

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
CJ is way late.

Not that time.

TDlxANDER
08-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Wow...what a catch

weso1
BS

BravesBlock
Wonder when the "I was wrong about Jason posts will start" it's about that time.
No where near time for that. I still think if we can package him for a TOR starter we should do it. We have a couple of options for right field.

Gary82
CJ with a sac fly. 2-0!

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Man, I thought that would drop. Great catch. Come on Pastornicky!

weso1
Great job by CJ to at least get one there.

bravesnumberone
Great hustle, Pastor.

AUTiger7222
I like Rev's speed. Got a hit out of nothing there to keep the inning going.

TDlxANDER
Nice hustle by Pastor

JusticeForAll23
Nice to see a productive out after back-to-back games of back-to-back K's with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs.

zitothebrave
No where near time for that. I still think if we can package him for a TOR starter we should do it. We have a couple of options for right field.

None of them good though.

BOOM

Gary82
whats with all the infield singles

Braves1976
I thought he might beat that out, that's what I love about his speed. Nice hustle kid. But now it's up to BJ Upton.

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:20 PM

First you offer a contract extention. If he turns it down then you trade him.

weso1
Man... that was Utley's ball all the way, but the pitcher still needs to get over there.

Dalyn
I agree. Rev isn't a guy you want starting but I think he would be a good bench bat who could hit enough if he needed to start for a couple of weeks you wouldn't suffer from having absolutely no production in that spot.

I think Tyler could actually become (somewhat) valuable offensively with experience. .290 .340 .370 with around 20 stolen bases. Not fantastic, but not bad at all.

parkvadawg

Like? Gattis in left fill time? No thanks what if Mac doesn't sign?

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:21 PM
I think Tyler could actually become (somewhat) valuable offensively with experience. .290 .340 .370 with around 20 stolen bases. Not fantastic, but not bad at all.

I agree. Don't get the negative sentiment towards him.

TDlxANDER
08-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Oh hey look, BJ's back

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh boy...BJ just doesn't have a clue.

AUTiger7222
BJ just stands there like he has no clue.

zitothebrave

Or you just let him leave via FA and get a high draft pick. We have to try to keep Heyward at all costs. Period. Heyward and Freeman are 2 you build around.

skidlee

because he isn't as good as people think he is

Gary82
It said BJ took three strikes. Does he have any idea where the strike zone is? Maybe he needs LASIK.

Braves1976
Terrible AB by BJ again, he just sat there and took them right down the pipe.

chopdrew
08-14-2013, 08:23 PM

You wanna trade Jason Heyward and I'M the idiot? lol...

chopdrew
It said BJ took three strikes. Does he have any idea where the strike zone is? Maybe he needs LASIK.

Vaginal Reconstruction...

Runnin
Young Bossman disproving the old adage that there's no such thing as a bad BJ.

Dalyn
because he isn't as good as people think he is

No one thinks he is that good.

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Agreed. Plus Pastornicky is better defensively than Uggla at second.

jpack1
How can you be so lost to take 2 88mph FBS down the pipe.

AUTiger7222

I don't think he would hit that much. I think he could do maybe .260/.320/.340 with around the 20 stolen bases if he were to start everyday. There's been much worse guys than that get 500 at-bats in a season. I was just saying on a good team like the Braves he's the perfect guy to have on the bench since he can play both infield and outfield. Having seen a few games of him playing the outfield I'm perfectly comfortable with him out there.

skidlee
08-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Or you just let him leave via FA and get a high draft pick. We have to try to keep Heyward at all costs. Period. Heyward and Freeman are 2 you build around.

I agree

BravesBlock
Like? Gattis in left fill time? No thanks what if Mac doesn't sign?
Justin stays in left. As we have all witnessed, his defense isn't good enough for right. Gattis is our fall back in case we lose Mac. If Mac resigns then I could see them trading Laird or Gattis. For right field I think we let Terdo and Shaffer battle it out.

zitothebrave
No one thinks he is that good.

Some peopel think he's better than Uggla, and that likely isn't the case.

Heyward

Sadly, I agree.

Better get value instead of a meh draft pick.

Tapate50
I would love to be a fly on the wall when Fedi and Beej discuss his issues.

thethe

Can't let a player of his value leave for just a draft pick. You give it one more year and if he doesn't accept a contract you trade him for a bunch of studs. Getting a draft pick for Jason Heyward is a complete and utter disaster.

Gary82
08-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I think Pastor would need to excel defensively to start every day, and I just don't see that happening. He doesn't have great instincts.

edit: He hasn't exhibited to me great instincts.

skidlee
Agreed. Plus Pastornicky is better defensively than Uggla at second.

that isn't exactly hard to do

zitothebrave
Justin stays in left. As we have all witnessed, his defense isn't good enough for right. Gattis is our fall back in case we lose Mac. If Mac resigns then I could see them trading Laird or Gattis. For right field I think we let Terdo and Shaffer battle it out.

Jordan Schafer to start? Lulz

Not to mention I'd love seeing how many doubles and triples an OF with Terds in RF lets up

Heyward

Only reason I'd do that is because I don't think he'd sign an extension with us.

What ace are we talking about whose under control for 5+ years?

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Where the hell did a bat come from?

50PoundHead

I'm not a big Pastornicky guy, but pretty much the exact words you wrote about him were written about Martin Prado when he first came up. It's way early on Pastornicky. He likely projects as a utility guy. He reminds me a lot of Jamey Carroll.

Heyward

So you'd take a measly draft pick over proper value if you know he wont stay?

I love Heyward, but if we can't sign him, it's best to get value back for him. Letting him walk for a draft pick would be awful.

I hope they can extend him, but if not, it's best to unfortunately trade him for a haul.

Julio3000
08-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Janish had no idea what to do with the bat.

zitothebrave

We're a winning team. I'll take a yerar of winning and a draft pick over a year of losing and some prospects.

Gary82
Dang, Beachy doesn't play. Braves already coming back up to bat.

AUTiger7222

Justin is better in RF than LF. He won the fielding bible in RF a couple years ago. This year he's playing LF in the majors for the first time ever.

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Creatures of the night wondering why the Owl isn't on the field.

bravesnumberone
BJ either needs his head or eyes examined. I mean how much can one suck? Does he just think every pitch is a ball?

Keep on rolling, Beachy.

Braves1976
that isn't exactly hard to do

Nor did I suggest that was the case.

Dalyn
Jordan Schafer to start? Lulz

Not to mention I'd love seeing how many doubles and triples an OF with Terds in RF lets up

Can't believe people don't remember how terrible Jordan really is.

weso1
Janish is like an AL pitcher having to bat in an interleague game for the first time.

parkvadawg

Pretty confident we will keep Jason. We should. Someone shoot me in the face if Schafer is ever the starting RF

zitothebrave
08-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Justin is better in RF than LF. He won the fielding bible in RF a couple years ago. This year he's playing LF in the majors for the first time ever.

People don't realize that playing the 2 corner spots is different. Balls jump differently and carry differently. Justin will improve in LF. People also have to remember that coming up Justin was originally an IF. He's only been playing the OF for about 6 or 7 years

thethe
We're a winning team. I'll take a yerar of winning and a draft pick over a year of losing and some prospects.

Trade one year of winning now for a couple of years of losing later? No thanks. You can trade a player of Heywards ability for an above average RF plus stud prospects.

I want Heyward to stay. I have wanted him to sign an extension even when he was struggling but if he makes it clear that he doesn't want to stay here then you need to move him. Getting a draft pick for Hewyward is a complete waste.

skidlee
I'm not a big Pastornicky guy, but pretty much the exact words you wrote about him were written about Martin Prado when he first came up. It's way early on Pastornicky. He likely projects as a utility guy. He reminds me a lot of Jamey Carroll.

I was never against Prado playing. I didn't understand why they traded for Uggla and moving Prado to LF.

Braves1976
Come on Janish work a walk!

Grrr, someone give Janish the take sign anytime he has 3-1 strike on him.

BravesBlock
08-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I would love to be a fly on the wall when Fedi and Beej discuss his issues.
What do you when? Hopefully they have already had that conversation. If not then Freddi is not doing his job. I would love to be a fly on the wall in Frank Wrens luxury box while he is watching a game and BJ is playing. Wonder what he says in private.

mfree80
08-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Can't believe people don't remember how terrible Jordan really is.

I really do believe players improve and mature. I think JS has turned a corner. I think he could start.

yeezus
I was never against Prado playing. I didn't understand why they traded for Uggla and moving Prado to LF.

No I don't, you're that guy from the book store, right?

yeezus
I really do believe players improve and mature. I think JS has turned a corner. I think he could start.

He would get exposed.
..again.
He's a very good 4th OFer. Not a starter.

chopdrew
Run that pitch count up, Lannan. Damn. Somebody left the pitching machine out there.

Heyward

We are, but we also are building for tommorow.

If you can get a big offer back, it's something to consider assuming he would decline an extension.

TDlxANDER
True or False...Paul Janish should never swing in a 3-1 count.

bravesnumberone
Every single one of our pitchers is a better hitter than Janish.

Gary82
08-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 7m
B.J. looks at three strikes in a five-pitch at-bat to leave runners at the corners. He's now hitting .095 (7-for-74) w/ RISP.

Insane. I'd leave BJ off the playoff roster at this point.

AUTiger7222
It's a damn shame when the pitcher knows the strike zone and your "star" center-fielder doesn't.

Heyward
Pretty confident we will keep Jason. We should. Someone shoot me in the face if Schafer is ever the starting RF

He already turned down an extension, so it's not out of the realm to think he may not.

Braves1976
Haha, Beachy is better than Janish. He didn't swing and worked a walk. If Janish would've took the rest of AB he'd probably be on second now given Lannan's control issues.

Dalyn
08-14-2013, 08:34 PM

Some certainly do. He is a valuable 4th outfielder. Nothing wrong with that.

AUTiger7222
Heyward is just smoking everything!

yeezus
Jason is just LACING the ball lately. Man!

Heyward
True or False...Paul Janish should never swing in a 3-1 count.

He should never swing at all.

bravesnumberone
Heyward is winning.

thethe
Jason hitting the ball HARD!

Braves1976
Heyward can do no wrong! Nice hustle as usual too! Good baserunning all around boys!

Gary82
IM NOT TRADING HEYWARD!:elefant:

chopdrew
j-hey up to .352 bop. I remember in april/may when we all thought he was garbage. He was carrying too much weight with that appendix.

yeezus
Heyward is just smoking everything!

You can't say this, Shanks just saw it and said "even crack, right??"

skidlee
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
No I don't, you're that guy from the book store, right?

huh?

parkvadawg
Schafer would have hit that 600 feet

BravesBlock
Which makes it odd that he appears to be a better defender in Left than Right.

zitothebrave
Trade one year of winning now for a couple of years of losing later? No thanks. You can trade a player of Heywards ability for an above average RF plus stud prospects.

I want Heyward to stay. I have wanted him to sign an extension even when he was struggling but if he makes it clear that he doesn't want to stay here then you need to move him. Getting a draft pick for Hewyward is a complete waste.

No lock those prospects amount to anything.

Tapate50
.226 other than the lead off spot and .364 in it? Like, whoa.

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
People don't realize that playing the 2 corner spots is different. Balls jump differently and carry differently. Justin will improve in LF. People also have to remember that coming up Justin was originally an IF. He's only been playing the OF for about 6 or 7 years

No he wasn't. BJ was the one that used to play IF. Justin has always played the OF since was drafted but it was always RF and CF. He never played LF in the minors or majors.

Gary82
08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
All loaded up for Freddie!

50PoundHead
08-14-2013, 08:37 PM

I was talking more about their projection when first entering the bigs. When I first saw Prado, I never thought he'd be able to pull the ball with any authority

I get that they needed power and traded for Uggla. I thought, and still think, that Prado made himself into a pretty good baseball player, but you need different-sized gears to have optimum synergy and I can see why they traded for Uggla.

Braves1976
Come on Freeman let's blow them out early! Oh, Lannan's out eh? OK.

skidlee
wow taking him out?

is he hurt?

Tapate50
Here comes the Vanilla Gorillla!

bravesnumberone
Well that sucks. Hopefully nothing serious for Lannan. Also sucks because we haven't done all that great against their terrible bullpen.

Heyward

But a pick in the 30's will?

thethe

Obviously not but if the draft pick (which is more of a crapshoot) turns out to bust then you literally got NOTHING back for Jason Heyward. That should not be an option. Unless there is some indication from McGuirk that they will open up the vault to keep Heyward then trading him should ALWAYS be an option.

parkvadawg
Lannan owns us

zitothebrave
08-14-2013, 08:38 PM
No he wasn't. BJ was the one that used to play IF. Justin has always played the OF since was drafted but it was always RF and CF. He never played LF in the minors or majors.

Justin played 2B and SS IIRC growing up. Gilesfan can come in later for clarification.

Julio3000
Jason hitting the ball HARD!

If by "ball," you mean "pipe," yeah, most definitely.

Seriously, dude is just a force right now.

50PoundHead
Let's break this thing open. Lannan has been a pain in our side for years. It would be nice to knock him around tonight.

Dalyn
08-14-2013, 08:39 PM
You can't say this, Shanks just saw it and said "even crack, right??"

:snort:

AUTiger7222
John Lannan is coming out with an injury.

AUTiger7222
Justin played 2B and SS IIRC growing up. Gilesfan can come in later for clarification.

Right but I was talking about since he got drafted. All he's played since he got drafted is RF and CF. This is the first time he has ever played LF. So it's a major adjustment for him.

zitothebrave
Obviously not but if the draft pick (which is more of a crapshoot) turns out to bust then you literally got NOTHING back for Jason Heyward. That should not be an option. Unless there is some indication from McGuirk that they will open up the vault to keep Heyward then trading him should ALWAYS be an option.

False, we got an extra year of Jason Heyward.

parkvadawg
08-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Don't agree with that. Justin is lost in left. What I will say is not many if anyone is better than Jason in right

weso1
Need to at least get one here.

Dalyn
Come on, Gattis!

http://theultimateshowdown.net/images/Nut-Punching-Bear.jpg

skidlee
I was talking more about their projection when first entering the bigs. When I first saw Prado, I never thought he'd be able to pull the ball with any authority

I get that they needed power and traded for Uggla. I thought, and still think, that Prado made himself into a pretty good baseball player, but you need different-sized gears to have optimum synergy and I can see why they traded for Uggla.

Well I don't see Pastor turning himself in a starting major league player. At best he will be a decent utility guy.

I understand that the braves needed RH power and the trade for Uggla was pretty easy to make. And if he was still keeping his OBP and OPS high while hitting his 30+ HRS it would have been awesome.

BravesBlock
08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Insane. I'd leave BJ off the playoff roster at this point.
Would the Atlanta Braves have the guts to do that. I agree that if he hasn't turned it around by the time playoffs start that he should be left off the roster but does anyone believe that Wren would actually do it?

AUTiger7222
08-14-2013, 08:42 PM

It depends on which defensive stats you're looking at.

mfree80
08-14-2013, 08:42 PM
wow taking him out?

is he hurt?

Yeah. His feelings are hurt because the Braves ar e eating him up.

skidlee
08-14-2013, 08:43 PM
But a pick in the 30's will?

The braves have had a lot of 1st round picks to bust

TDlxANDER
08-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Here comes the Vanilla Gorillla!

Joel Przbyilla?

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Wow, just missed it!

bravesnumberone
Good job, Freeman.

AUTiger7222
Crap! Just a couple feet too short.

parkvadawg
Freeman's topspin really plays with my emotions

Braves1976
Man, Gattis just missed a three run bomb earlier. Now Freeman just missed a grand slam. Come on Gattis!

thethe
08-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Check to see if that ball is ok.

weso1
I can't believe Janish touched that bat.

bravesnumberone
Break it open here.

Gary82
bases loaded again.

Dalyn
Come on, Gattis!

http://theultimateshowdown.net/images/Nut-Punching-Bear.jpg

HBP

:icwudt:

zitothebrave
Way to go BABIP!!

Braves1976
08-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Way to go CJ! 5-0 Braves. Come on Pastornicky let's get some more boys!

thethe
Johnson is a hitting machine.

pfiggy
atta CJ

Gary82
babip strikes again!:tchop:

weso1
CJ is is just ridiculous.

ChapelHillMatt
CHRIS JOHNSON CAN HIT

50PoundHead
08-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Well I don't see Pastor turning himself in a starting major league player. At best he will be a decent utility guy.

I understand that the braves needed RH power and the trade for Uggla was pretty easy to make. And if he was still keeping his OBP and OPS high while hitting his 30+ HRS it would have been awesome.

Don't get me wrong. I pretty much agree on Pastornicky. I think he projects to be a decent utility guy if he learns to play 3B and OF. Can handle the bat and runs fairly well.

Dalyn
http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/files/2013/07/Chris-Johnson.jpg

Tapate50
Way to go BABIP!!

Pure luck.

chopdrew
"Captain Throw-In" with the big ab. Nice.

bravesnumberone
08-14-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm not really used to our 2B making contact.

parkvadawg
08-14-2013, 08:48 PM
I'll admit I never saw CJ being this good. I'm going to need some folks from the other site to confess to their sins for Jason.

skidlee
08-14-2013, 08:49 PM
thethe

what you said today about the league min relievers so we can keep Kimbrel does seem like what the braves might do.

Avilan
Lamm
Shea Simmons
Ryan Harper

Could be doable

weso1
I feel like the Dbacks may have a da buyer's remorse.

Braves1976
Good start, hopefully Beachy stays sharp and gives us another shutdown inning too.

Heyward
08-14-2013, 08:50 PM
The braves have had a lot of 1st round picks to bust

Of course, that's my point.

If he declines an extension, I don't see what's wrong with dealing him for a big haul instead of letting him walk for basically nothing unless that pick becomes Mike Trout.