PDA

View Full Version : Can ATL win a World Series with this rotation?

skidlee
07-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Mike Minor
Kris Medlen
Paul Maholm
Julio Teheran
Tim Hudson
Brandon Beachy

I really have my doubts that they can get it done. Its not a knock on them really. They are all good pitchers (at times) in their on right but I don't see that shut down rotation that you need to win a WS out of that group.

With how up and down out lineup is the rotation is going to have to hold good hitting lineups down and thats something they don't do on a regular basis.

NinersSBChamps
07-05-2013, 06:32 PM
No the Braves can't win a World Series with any rotation because of the offense.

ChapelHillMatt
07-05-2013, 06:42 PM
The answer is no, you need an Ace......we don't have one.

I agree with Alex though, the main reason this team won't win is because they don't have the ability to manufacture runs.

CyYoung31
07-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Get in the playoffs, and anything can happen.

AUTiger7222
07-05-2013, 08:15 PM
The pitching isn't the issue. It's a question of it the offense will score enough. The same question the Braves have been asking for years with regards to their struggles in the playoffs for what seems like forever.

50PoundHead
07-05-2013, 08:24 PM
No the Braves can't win a World Series with any rotation because of the offense.

Kind of my feeling right now as well.

Worry that if we make the playoffs that the starters won't get deep enough into games and the bullpen will wear out, but we've got the kind of offense that appears to be feast or famine and that usually means famine when you play in October.

AUTiger7222
07-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Braves starting pitchers have the 5th most innings pitched this season. Just because we don't have a slew of complete games and shutouts doesn't me we haven't been pitching deep. There's only 1 team ahead of the Braves in innings pitched that has pitched the same amount of games and that's the Reds. The other 3 teams head of the Braves (Phillies, Athletics, Red Sox) have all played more games. Braves starters have averaged 6 1/3 innings pitched per start this season. That's great work in today's baseball.

yeezus
07-05-2013, 10:09 PM
who was in the phillies rotation when they won in 08?

AUTiger7222
07-05-2013, 10:15 PM
who was in the phillies rotation when they won in 08?

Cole Hamels
Joe Blanton
Brett Myers
Kyle Kendrick
Jamie Moyer

Our rotation is much better than that.

weso1
07-05-2013, 10:56 PM
I asked that some question at the beginning of the year, and felt like a fool up until recently for even asking the question. Now that question is showing it's ugly face again. I don't know... could just be a bit of a slump. We knew they'd regress a bit. I'd feel better having an ace, but there is Beachy waiting on the sidelines. I feel pretty comfortable going to war with a top 3 of Beach, Minor and Medlen if all three are pitching close to their ability.

BlackwaterPark
07-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Correct

zitothebrave
07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Yes. Issue is the Braves need to just be hot at the right time. Our rotation for a stretch was awesome.

yeezus
07-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Cole Hamels
Joe Blanton
Brett Myers
Kyle Kendrick
Jamie Moyer

Our rotation is much better than that.

exactly. their offense was a juggernaut but ours could be if everyone doesn't suck. our rotation is MUCH better than that one, and I personally trust Minor against anyone. And our bullpen will still be great.

Bdawg2309
07-06-2013, 01:41 AM
not if the AL wins the all-star game.
then again, the braves are 14-22 in home playoff games @ turner field

yeezus
07-06-2013, 01:05 PM

what exactly do past Braves teams have to do with this one?

NinersSBChamps
07-06-2013, 01:11 PM
what exactly do past Braves teams have to do with this one?

Same team name.

Enscheff
07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I think the rotation is good enough to win it all, but the offense will almost certainly be shut down when they are facing the top 3 starters for other playoff teams. The story will then be "where did the Braves powerful offense go in October?"

I full expect JUpton to catch fire in the playoffs because he seems to be a guy that needs big games to get fired up (for example, start of the season, playing against his old team, and hopefully the playoffs). Freeman will also be solid in the postseason. The rest of the offense will probably completely disappear and strike out 15+ times per postseason game.

yeezus
07-06-2013, 01:26 PM
I think if anything stops us it will be the offense, but I don't think it's definitely going to. they could get hot and be fine. we just don't know right now.

Carp
07-06-2013, 02:36 PM
The rotation is great. Not really sure how Minor and Medlen aren't considered "Aces." Both have been hovering right around the 3.00 ERA mark all season, with Minor being over 3.00 for the first time just recently.

Not to mention, we have Beachy coming back and Teheran has been great too.

Our rotation is every bit as good as any other team that has won the WS recently.

Mrs. Meta
07-06-2013, 02:47 PM
We haven't won a playoff series since 2001, I'd worry about that first.

yeezus
07-06-2013, 04:39 PM
We haven't won a playoff series since 2001, I'd worry about that first.

again, not sure what 2001-2012 have to do with 2013.

Mrs. Meta
07-06-2013, 05:02 PM
again, not sure what 2001-2012 have to do with 2013.

Sorry, but the braves' playoff history has taught me never to think too far ahead when it comes to potential world series aspirations, haha.

cajunrevenge
07-07-2013, 02:38 AM
There is no magic formula for winning championships. The problem is that the regular season is a marathon and the playoffs are a sprint. The frequent off days means depth is less important. Depth is a key thing teams need to survive the long season to get to the playoffs. The reason wild card teams have won disproportionately is because their weakness is masked by the frequent off days. The rotation becomes a 3-4 man rotation instead of 5 and they can throw their 3-4 best relievers every game.

If you need a dominant ace and a strong rotation to win world series then someone needs to tell the previous 8 world series winners to return their rings because none of them have world series caliber rotations. In fact only Matt Cain of the 2012 Giants team was the only starter with an ERA under 3 in the rotation of the last 8 world series champs. Might go back longer but I got bored after going back 8 years. There are countless teams that entered the playoffs with a Verlander or Kershaw caliber ace only to watch him wet the bed in game 1 of the division series and took an early trip home. We had 3 hall of fame starters and that got us 1 title. The A's had 3 aces and they never even got to a world series.

GovClintonTyree
07-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Absolutely true. In the words of the immortal Joaquin Andujar, "Youneverknow."

One year, BJ Upton had 9 HRs in the regular season and 7 in the playoffs. Youneverknow.

Last year Justin Verlander, the best pitcher on the planet, got rocked in game 1 of the World Series by Pablo Sandoval, among others. Youneverknow.

Our pitching is plenty good. Just depends on how they're going in October. If Medlen can hit a gnat in the ass from 60 feet, he can be unhittable. If Minor is throwing meatballs, he looks really ordinary. If he's not, he's as tough as it gets. I'd put our bullpen against anybody's.

zitothebrave
07-07-2013, 09:54 AM

I know we have struggled on the road, but I think facing an AL team may be best for us. If we can have Mac and Gattis both in the lineup for 4 games, that gives us a distinct advantage other other NL teams.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I love when people say this current staff can't win.

We had 14 consecutive pennants and 1, say again, 1 world series win with arguably the best rotation in baseball for those 14 years. It is not pitching, you got to hit as well. Heck we had the best pitching and hitting in one year and still didn't win.

It is a CRAP shoot when you get in there.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 12:59 PM

We had 14 consecutive pennants and 1, say again, 1 world series win with arguably the best rotation in baseball for those 14 years. It is not pitching, you got to hit as well. Heck we had the best pitching and hitting in one year and still didn't win.

I love how people think winning in the regular season is the same as the post season.

yeezus
07-07-2013, 01:06 PM
I love how people think winning in the regular season is the same as the post season.

who said that?

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 01:26 PM
who said that?

No one. He likes to whine and b it ch at everything that doesn't fit right in his world.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 01:28 PM
No one. He likes to whine and b it ch at everything that doesn't fit right in his world.

WOW nice attack

STFU ass hole

TURBO
07-07-2013, 01:31 PM
play nice

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 01:39 PM
WOW nice attack

STFU ass hole

Make me Biatch.

You whine on Scout you whine here, that is all you do is whine.

Do us all a favor and go to ESPN and whine and b itch there, it would make us all happy.

ChapelHillMatt
07-07-2013, 01:40 PM

It's both, not one or the other.

You need to be able to score (play small ball mostly) pitch and play good defense. Everyone focuses on the infield fly from last year but we lost that game because of Chipper's error and Medlen not pitching well.

To win in the playoffs you need to be playing well in all 3 facets of the game.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Make me Biatch.

You whine on Scout you whine here, that is all you do is whine.

Do us all a favor and go to ESPN and whine and b itch there, it would make us all happy.

What the hell are you talking about? I never hardly posted at all?.

I get attacked by ass holes like you just because I don't think *****ing about what the manager does or doesn't do.

you ass holes can have your little message board

I do have a life and don't live in my mothers basement

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
What the hell are you talking about? I never hardly posted at all?

I get attacked by ass holes like you just because I don't think *****ing about what the manager does or doesn't do.

Then fuc*ng leave you crying whining ass biatch.

So what, we post about it, you fu*cking tampon wearing ass need to quit whining about it. It is simple, don't like what's posted thingbring in facts instead of attacking the poster. I am attacking you because I am posting facts of your bi tching, here and the other board. You have a rep, if you want to change it, change your tampons to depends, might make a difference.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 01:48 PM
If you think I whine the what the hell do you think if yourself and everyone else

WOW

D-bag

TURBO
AA needs a release after moderating scout the last few months.

AerchAngel

You need to be able to score (play small ball mostly) pitch and play good defense. Everyone focuses on the infield fly from last year but we lost that game because of Chipper's error and Medlen not pitching well.

I agree, this is why I say an ace is not going to get you far in the playoffs either. We should know that with 3 aces on the mound each of those 14 years and only won once. You need more than just an ace.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 01:49 PM
AA needs a release after moderating scout the last few months.

LMAO!!!

You are whiner Skidlee, we know you, understand you. 365 days of PMSing is bad for your health. You need to check it out.

yeezus
07-07-2013, 01:51 PM
What the hell are you talking about? I never hardly posted at all?.

really? the "mother's basement" routine?
I'm not criticizing you. you're just making stuff up. no one said that.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 01:51 PM
LMAO!!!

You are whiner Skidlee, we know you, understand you. 365 days of PMSing is bad for your health. You need to check it out.

Whatever D-bag

You need to change you name because you sure as hell not an angel.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 01:53 PM
really? the "mother's basement" routine?
I'm not criticizing you. you're just making stuff up. no one said that.

Just like he made stuff up.

All I posted what that winning is the regular season and the posted season are not the same thing and he went ape ****

TURBO
07-07-2013, 01:55 PM

All I posted what that winning is the regular season and the posted season are not the same thing and he went ape ****

Maybe scoout has sent him on a mission to tear apart this forum. Stay strong. :icwudt:

weso1
07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Well, that escalated quickly.
I don't think skid's post quite deserved that reply. If you don't like certain posters then ignore them.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Whatever D-bag

You need to change you name because you sure as hell not an angel.

Oh quite contraire. I am an asshole, here, there, everywhere, but when I call a person a name, I don't do it because I want to, it is because they shown themselves to be the name I call them.

Calling me a DB is an honor to be honest. Been called that on more than 8 boards. It is apparent that me dressing your whining ass down must have struck a nerve. Change your whining to something positive than none of us will mess with you. It is okay to have an opinion, but you whine when you attack posters, this is why I am ripping. A thread talking about Fredi's terrible management must have been a bad PMS day for you. Everyone was on you about your whining.

yeezus
07-07-2013, 01:58 PM

i agree that it was an overreaction, but your post implied someone said what you said, when no one did.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Well, that escalated quickly.
I don't think skid's post quite deserved that reply. If you don't like certain posters then ignore them.

Exactly.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Maybe scoout has sent him on a mission to tear apart this forum. Stay strong. :icwudt:

LMAO.

No. I wouldn't do that. Most of my friends are here.

TURBO
07-07-2013, 02:02 PM
LMAO.

No. I wouldn't do that. Most of my friends are here.

I know. just trying to bring some comic relief to this "discussion"

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 02:08 PM
If he doesn't respond to my posts, then he is cool with me. Being snarky, I will open up my shirt with DB on it and act like one.

I suggest he stay out of my posts.

I don't respond to his whining like posts so you have no worries there.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM
If he doesn't respond to my posts, then he is cool with me. Being snarky, I will open up my shirt with DB on it and act like one.

I suggest he stay out of my posts.

I don't respond to his whining like posts so you have no worries there.

So you posts are just so goooooooood that no one ever has to question you.

Wwowwowowo

we have another PD already

TURBO
07-07-2013, 02:15 PM
http://www.troll.me/images/ancient-aliens-guy/epenis-level-asians.jpg

ChapelHillMatt
07-07-2013, 02:17 PM
This thread has been ruined.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 02:21 PM
So you posts are just so goooooooood that no one ever has to question you.

Wwowwowowo

we have another PD already

wow a good post.

No. I always been a DB to people that whines. Everyone here knows this. Actually there is only one person that doesn't like me and that is you. Maybe CYoung and Running, but they don't whine about it like you.

Even being a mod and some here got banned, they would tell you I defended them. DB's don't do that. Also I even pm'ed them telling them what I have done and responded to them. DB's don't do that. So you might want to ask yourself, why is AA being a DB? Look at yourself for the answer, you started it, I ended it. I am done with this.

As for PD, he is his own entity and we are not alike, he is who he is, I am who I am. He can be a DB, I am a DB, that is the difference but it is who we are being DB to is what separate us.

skidlee
07-07-2013, 02:25 PM
I questioned your post and you got pissed

end of story

You attacked me and I defended myself and you didn't like it.

I have never used the ignore button. If you don't like someone just don't interact with them.

I have never had issues with anyone and if they have had issues with me no one has ever said so.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I questioned your post and you got pissed

end of story

You attacked me and I defended myself and you didn't like it.

I have never used the ignore button. If you don't like someone just don't interact with them.

I have never had issues with anyone and if they have had issues with me no one has ever said so.

Because we got use to you. Don't make a snarky comment in my post and I won't tear a new asshole in you.
Got it? Thanks in advance.

weso1
07-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Speak for yourself AA... "We" haven't commented.

And it's the internet... You should really get thicker skin for snarky comments, because they are aplenty here. And it wasn't even all that snarky.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Speak for yourself AA... "We" haven't commented.

And it's the internet... You should really get thicker skin for snarky comments, because they are aplenty here. And it wasn't even all that snarky.

I have black thick skin I beg your pardon. Snarky comments will be addressed, maybe if he would take my response in kind, did you ever think about that?

Maybe you would roll over, I don't. Sorry.

ChapelHillMatt
07-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Skidlee is a good guy, can we stop this kind of back and forth? Just agree to disagree and move on. As a mod (I realize you aren't one here) you should be a peace maker, not an instigator. We all root for the same team. This kind of posting isn't pleasant to read. It's not what this place should be about.

yeezus
07-07-2013, 03:17 PM
what the hell is going on. this is really dumb. i've never had a problem with either of you, and AA, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with sid other than you, right now.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Skidlee is a good guy, can we stop this kind of back and forth? Just agree to disagree and move on. As a mod (I realize you aren't one here) you should be a peace maker, not an instigator. We all root for the same team. This kind of posting isn't pleasant to read. It's not what this place should be about.

He is doing the right thing and not saying anything so why bother to keep this open? I am willing to let it go, so please refrain from posting on this incident.

AerchAngel
07-07-2013, 03:29 PM
what the hell is going on. this is really dumb. i've never had a problem with either of you, and AA, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with sid other than you, right now.

lol, I am not even going to comment on that.

Gary82
07-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Wild Wild Joe West forum is that way -->http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

bravesnumberone
07-07-2013, 04:55 PM
To answer the original question posed, it's not very likely this rotation can win a World Series, but anything is possible in the postseason. This current staff would really have to reach deep down, or our offense would have to go on a 3-week tear.

AUTiger7222
07-07-2013, 06:10 PM

Medlen only gave up 3 hits against the Cardinals in 6 innings. How is that not pitching well?

The Chosen One
07-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Guys, as Gary said the Wild Wild West forum is there for a reason. None of that crap needs to go on in these threads on the main board.

I'm at work most of the time and can't moderate everything, but I have narrowed down a list of a few potential candidates. I hope I do not see this personal bickering continue.

The community is strong nto when everyone agrees, but whens omeone disagrees and debate arises. I want everyone to feel welcome here and post freely without feeling as if they're going to get hung by the internet lynch mob. I do not want to alienate users, but I do want to get rid of trolls.

I'm done with this topic.

TURBO
07-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Guys, as Gary said the Wild Wild West forum is there for a reason. None of that crap needs to go on in these threads on the main board.

I'm at work most of the time and can't moderate everything, but I have narrowed down a list of a few potential candidates. I hope I do not see this personal bickering continue.

The community is strong nto when everyone agrees, but whens omeone disagrees and debate arises. I want everyone to feel welcome here and post freely without feeling as if they're going to get hung by the internet lynch mob. I do not want to alienate users, but I do want to get rid of trolls.

I'm done with this topic.

I told them to play nice :emot-siren.gif.17:

The Chosen One
07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
I told them to play nice :emot-siren.gif.17:

Apparently not nice enough. :cooter:

TURBO
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Apparently not nice enough. :cooter:

Dont they fear me enough. I need more power :icwudt:

The Chosen One
07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Dont they fear me enough. I need more power :icwudt:

:smilet-digitalpoint

BRule
07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
AA YOU STINKY HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

I'M HILARIOUS

NinersSBChamps
07-08-2013, 03:31 PM
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/88af7562311ff419bdb1347623acb55a/l.gif

Heyward
07-20-2013, 06:57 PM
I think it's good enough.

But like others, I worry about the offense a bit more.

They strikeout too much, rely on the HR, don't hit great with RISP and manufacture runs vs top pitchers which you need to do.

We will cross that bridge if we get there however.

Heyward
07-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Chippers error lead to 3 runs which would of been a DP, at worst one out, and we probably win that game if that doesn't happen.

And thats a one game do or die situation, would of had 2 or more chances in a series.

That said, don't think this team is built for th playoffs but the best team doesn't always win..l.

Bdawg2309
07-20-2013, 07:03 PM
What's the starters ERA this month?

Heyward
07-20-2013, 07:04 PM
What's the starters ERA this month?

Not very good, what's it overall for the season?

Bdawg2309
07-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Couldn't find the starters era this month but the team era is 3.94, good for 11th in the nl

It was 2.71 last month
3.69 in may (6th in NL)
3.15 in April (1st in NL)

Just gotta hope October isn't the bad month

Bdawg2309
07-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Never mind, found it. Not sure if it included today
But the team era this month is 5.38
Only the padres have a worse era
Their BABIP is .341, highest in the NL

NYCBrave
07-20-2013, 07:56 PM
It's the same issue it's always been, MLB sets up the playoffs to favor the teams who have a top heavy rotation. We structure our teams to be built for the long haul of a season. Usually teams fighting until the end to make the playoffs have an iffy rotation outside of a couple of aces, so once they get in, they only need to rely on those top guys to win.