PDA

View Full Version : Rays DFA Ryan Roberts

stpeteirish
08-16-2013, 09:12 AM
looks like a fit to me can play 2b 3b and switch hitter. Better hitter than Janish, easily. Probably better in a short run pennant race and playoff situation than Pastornicky as well.

No brainer if Pastor's out for a while. Eliot Johnson also DFA'd (by KC). Not sure if he's an upgrade or not.

50PoundHead
08-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Holy crap! I just looked at Eliot Johnson's stats and the guy has struck out 49 times and managed to walk only 8 times in around 170 plate appearances. Strikeouts don't matter for some guys, but when they do for a guy like Johnson.

Not sure on Roberts. Brings a little versatility (but can't play SS) and can hit a little. I'd say only take a look if Pastornicky is done for the season.

tvsportscaster
08-16-2013, 05:28 PM
looks like a fit to me can play 2b 3b and switch hitter. Better hitter than Janish, easily. Probably better in a short run pennant race and playoff situation than Pastornicky as well.

No brainer if Pastor's out for a while. Eliot Johnson also DFA'd (by KC). Not sure if he's an upgrade or not.

Roberts is not a switch hitter, he hits from the right side only.

Braves1976
08-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Roberts has also been really poor vs righties (though solid vs lefties).

BRule
08-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Roberts has been horrible for the last 3 and a half years.

Hawk
08-16-2013, 06:40 PM
When surveying the paltry pool of middle infield talent available at this point, it's a toss up for me between Roberts and Brendan Ryan.

I like Roberts' tattoo sleeve. Ryan is a stud defensively. Both have experience on playoff teams. That's about it, really.

Bdawg2309
08-16-2013, 11:06 PM
If the rays released him , there's probably a reason

57Brave
08-17-2013, 07:12 AM
If the rays released him , there's probably a reason

I'm slowly coming around to the blanket statement of if the Rays let you go ////// There is a reason.
they dont seem to make mistakes in player evaluation

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Has to be better than Janish.

What do we have to lose if we brought him in?

stpeteirish
08-19-2013, 06:51 AM
cleared waivers, optioned to Durham by the Rays. I'm surprised we didn't claim him, he's better than Janish and Gosselin. maybe its the money, he's making 2.75 Mill; you have to pay him (prorated) on a waiver claim.

stpeteirish
08-19-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm slowly coming around to the blanket statement of if the Rays let you go ////// There is a reason.
they dont seem to make mistakes in player evaluation

and they kept him, which is what they said they wanted to do when he was designated.

57Brave
08-19-2013, 07:15 AM
No, they didnt keep him. He was unceremoniously sent down to the minors. No one claimed him so they have to honor their commitment for the rest of the season

There used to be a phrase in the transaction sections called. "Put on irrevocable waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. "
The players union put the Kibosh to that A little too graphic

50PoundHead
08-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Surprised no one picked him up. He's a decent utility guy and it's not like the pro-rated contract amount is that high. Not saying we should have picked him up. Just surprised no one did.

bravebonebook
08-19-2013, 11:50 AM
No, they didnt keep him. He was unceremoniously sent down to the minors. No one claimed him so they have to honor their commitment for the rest of the season

There used to be a phrase in the transaction sections called. "Put on irrevocable waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. "
The players union put the Kibosh to that A little too graphic

Yeah, wouldn't want to bruise the ballplayer's fragile egos...:roll: