PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Unions Lose Right-to-Work Challenge

acesfull86
08-16-2013, 06:51 PM
link (http://www.governing.com/news/state/michigan-unions-lose-right-work-challenge.html)

The nearly 36,000 unionized employees who work for the State of Michigan are subject to the new right-to-work law, meaning those employees can opt out of paying union dues when the next round of contracts take effect in January.

The right-to-work law, passed in the final frenzied days of the legislature’s lame-duck session in December, makes it illegal to require employees to contribute financially to a union as a condition of employment.

------------

The horror!!!

AerchAngel
08-16-2013, 10:11 PM
link (http://www.governing.com/news/state/michigan-unions-lose-right-work-challenge.html)

The nearly 36,000 unionized employees who work for the State of Michigan are subject to the new right-to-work law, meaning those employees can opt out of paying union dues when the next round of contracts take effect in January.

The right-to-work law, passed in the final frenzied days of the legislature’s lame-duck session in December, makes it illegal to require employees to contribute financially to a union as a condition of employment.

------------

The horror!!!

Indeed. <checking sarcasm meter, looking for MacGuiver and one of his gadgets>

CK86
08-17-2013, 08:44 PM
I love the idea of unions, love what they're supposed to stand for, and especially for fighting to get their employees the best pay and benefits they can get. With that said, I hate any union that forces someone to become apart of a union in order to become eligible to be employed, just doesn't seem right.

zitothebrave
08-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I love the idea of unions, love what they're supposed to stand for, and especially for fighting to get their employees the best pay and benefits they can get. With that said, I hate any union that forces someone to become apart of a union in order to become eligible to be employed, just doesn't seem right.

Like anything, unions that get too big are bad. Same as companies and anything else. When something gets too big it compromises the good that it can do. Nature of the beast.