PDA

View Full Version : Good Wood

Tapate50
08-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Guy has been lights out and improving with every start. Thoughts on how he fits in for us in post season play? Better than you expected ? About the same? Should he go deeper?

Heyward
08-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Too early to say right now.

We will cross that bridge when/if the time comes,

Gary82
08-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Right now, he's in the postseason rotation. I don't know if he'd be my number three, but I am open minded.

50PoundHead
08-16-2013, 11:03 PM
He has stepped up. He keeps pitching like he is and he's going to have to be considered for the playoff rotation. But if he's not in the rotation, he's a shoo-in for the 3rd LHP in the bullpen. Valuable guy.

AUTiger7222
08-16-2013, 11:34 PM
He has to be in my postseason rotation. You use 4 starters in the rotation in a deep long series.

BravesBlock
08-16-2013, 11:44 PM
So what order do you pitch them? How do you think Fredi sets up the rotation?

Braves1976
08-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Right now, my rotation in the post-season is Minor, Beachy, Teheran and Wood. Medlen to the bullpen.

Gary82
08-16-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm not ready to put Beachy in the postseason rotation. Not yet.

Braves1976
08-16-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm not ready to put Beachy in the postseason rotation. Not yet.

He'll be in the rotation barring a set-back health wise.

Gary82
08-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah, Fredi will.

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I am having a terrible time coming to terms with the fact that the team is probably best served not resigning Tim Hudson.

Wood is the real deal, and that makes five. The only way you sign Huddy is if you want six and you're ready to have Wood in the bullpen, and that's clearly a waste. He's ready.

Braves1976
08-17-2013, 01:01 AM
I am having a terrible time coming to terms with the fact that the team is probably best served not resigning Tim Hudson.

Wood is the real deal, and that makes five. The only way you sign Huddy is if you want six and you're ready to have Wood in the bullpen, and that's clearly a waste. He's ready.

I expect Huddy will be brought back as the veteran of the rotation. Medlen will be traded or moved to the bullpen.

The Chosen One
08-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Medlen isn't going to bullpen.

Hsi value there would plummet pitching 1 inning, when he's shown he's fully capable of pitching 7-8 innings strong potentially.

He'll be traded before he ever goes to the bullpen, although I see the scenario of Hudson being let go more realistic, or Wood or Beachy being traded.

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 01:17 AM

Hsi value there would plummet pitching 1 inning, when he's shown he's fully capable of pitching 7-8 innings strong potentially.

He'll be traded before he ever goes to the bullpen, although I see the scenario of Hudson being let go more realistic, or Wood or Beachy being traded.

I wouldn't deal any of them. We are frigging loaded.

And I was right about Medlen, Beachy and Minor.

The Chosen One
08-17-2013, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't trade any either.

But if anyone wants to see a fairy tale of Hudson coming back, one has to go.

Teheran has nothing left to prove in the minors after pitching sensationally as a rookie this year.
If Wood has no regressions, he has no reason to go to AA after pitching half a season up here and proving himself.
If Beachy has no regressions which looks like he has nowhere to go but up, he's not gonna be in the minors when he already established himself last year for 3 months, and this would be another 2 months.
Minor has been our ACE tbh. He was pretty darn good but was in Medlen's shadow second half of last year, and he's been our most reliable starter this year the entire year.
Medlen is the only guy that really has to prove something which I know is silly after his 10-0 run last year. His expectations are extremely high entering this season and he has not lived up to MadduxII so far this season. He could have more value in a trade potentially, that's why he's the only one I could see us realistically dealing.

Braves1976
08-17-2013, 01:29 AM

I agree that it's more likely Medlen is traded. But I wouldn't rule out the Braves moving him to the bullpen. They almost did earlier this season. While that could hurt his trade value. The Braves might do it with plans to move him into the rotation later in the season (just like last year). I also disagree that Medlen has proven as much as you say. He's a good pitcher but more often than not he's only had two pitches going this year. He'll need to have three more consistently in the long run, IMO.

That said, Huddy's season this year before his injury was a lot better than most give him credit. He was great in three starts vs Washington (0.84 ERA), great vs the Mets in his other division games too. Plus he is still a proven winner every year who helps the young pitchers. Huddy didn't get to pad his record or stats by facing the worst in our division Miami this year.

Lastly, I don't know why we'd trade Beachy or Wood. If you ask me either being moved is very unlikely.

The Chosen One
08-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Beachy and Wood would be under control for another team longer, which would mean we might have leverage if trying to unload BJ or sell off CJ on his career year.

Medlen's clock started 2009, so he's got 3 more years of arby I think?

Medlen had 2 main pitches last year, the difference is this year he's leaving pitches up in the zone for homeruns, and his command and he's not getting those calls he was last year.

He had a good curve last year, but his bread and butter was backdoor fastball inside to the lefty or outside to righty, and the swing and miss changeup. The last few starts have encouraged me that he's going back to that.

Braves1976
08-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Beachy and Wood would be under control for another team longer, which would mean we might have leverage if trying to unload BJ or sell off CJ on his career year.

Medlen's clock started 2009, so he's got 3 more years of arby I think?

Medlen had 2 main pitches last year, the difference is this year he's leaving pitches up in the zone for homeruns, and his command and he's not getting those calls he was last year.

He had a good curve last year, but his bread and butter was backdoor fastball inside to the lefty or outside to righty, and the swing and miss changeup. The last few starts have encouraged me that he's going back to that.

Beachy will be coming off a partial season after Tommy John. I doubt they trade him that soon. Plus I expect Beachy to get back to being very good again. Wood is the real deal so I'd not want to move him either.

Medlen is a free agent in 2016 so it makes sense to move him this off-season.

cajunrevenge
08-17-2013, 02:25 AM
I think it might depend on the team we face and whether they are better vs lefties or righties.

Team OPS vs lefties
------------------------------
Pirates .734
Dodger .721
Reds .705
Cards .661

Team OPS vs righties
---------------------
Cards .769
Dodgers .730
Reds .718
Pirates .697

vs Pirates you go with RH starter
vs Cards you got with the lefty - .100 OPS difference here
vs Reds/Dodgers it really doesnt matter.

There is still over a month to sort things out. I think Medlen is going to get the benefit of the doubt though.

sentenza
08-17-2013, 04:21 AM
I hope he can hold this impressive form for now! Ok, 5 starts is not that much to say he's an ace!
I'm a little concerned, that teams will "read" him. Right now you can see that his unconventional delivery is a problem for many batters. If they see him more and learn about him, everything can be different.

thethe
08-17-2013, 05:14 AM
I hope he can hold this impressive form for now! Ok, 5 starts is not that much to say he's an ace!
I'm a little concerned, that teams will "read" him. Right now you can see that his unconventional delivery is a problem for many batters. If they see him more and learn about him, everything can be different.

Agreed but the stuff is there. He could be a solid #2 down the road. Just hope his arm holds up.

Tapate50
08-17-2013, 07:18 AM

Hey, it worked for Nomo for a while!

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Agreed but the stuff is there. He could be a solid #2 down the road. Just hope his arm holds up.

Well, he looks like a solid #2 right now. The more I see him, the more convinced I am that his mechanics aren't any more violent than any other pitcher's. I kind of like them. It gives his fastball action and sets up his plane for the knuckle-curve, which is a sweet pitch. Landing six inches open from a straight line never hurt a pitcher.

Jordan, from the Nats, on the other hand...

Orphan Black
08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
btw...Alex Wood has only given up 1 homer in almost 52 IP. That is freaking amazing.

Temo
08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
So, figuring that Minor/Teheran/Medlen are locks... who's the 4th on the postseason staff? Beachy or Wood?

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
I would go with Beachy and Wood and sit Medlen.

CJC
08-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Medlen is a lock?

I'm not sure. I think Minor and Teheran are, but the other 2 could be Medlen, Beachy, Wood or Malholm.

Temo
08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
I would go with Beachy and Wood and sit Medlen.

That seems doubtful, unless Beachy goes on a run for the rest of the year.

Temo
08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Medlen is a lock?

I'm not sure. I think Minor and Teheran are, but the other 2 could be Medlen, Beachy, Wood or Malholm.

Not sure I understand. What's Beachy done that gives him a leg up on Medlen, as of now?

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
That seems doubtful, unless Beachy goes on a run for the rest of the year.

I agree it's doubtful. It's simply what I would do.

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Not sure I understand. What's Beachy done that gives him a leg up on Medlen, as of now?

Certainly think it's a bit early, but Beachy has a few starts to show what he is..... a better pitcher than Medlen.

nsacpi
08-19-2013, 03:54 PM
None of them are locks. Not even Minor. It will all come down to how well they pitch in their last four or five starts of the regular season. There is no starter that so towers above the others that he would be in the playoff rotation even if he pitches poorly down the stretch.

Temo
08-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Certainly think it's a bit early, but Beachy has a few starts to show what he is..... a better pitcher than Medlen.

They almost identical career numbers.

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 03:56 PM
They almost identical career numbers.

Well, I personally think last year was a fluke for Medlen. I think he's a mid to high 3's pitcher if he remains in the rotation.

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Minor is a lock of all locks to be in the postseason rotation.

jpx7
08-19-2013, 04:02 PM
He'll be in the rotation barring a set-back health wise.

Why are you so absolutely sure about this? Beachy has progressed a little quicker than expected, but still doesn't look especially sharp. We'll see how the next month and a half play out, but as of today I still trust Medlen more (as far as 2013 is concerned).

stpeteirish
08-19-2013, 04:03 PM
nobody's mentioning Maholm but he'll get a shot before the end of the year. Doubt if he outpitches the others, so it should be an easy choce. But if he does they might go with the "experience" even tho he has none, at least as far as playoffs are concerned.

Beachy's one of the four unless he has a regression, he's been getting better each start. We'd probably go with Medlen over Wood; Medlen's been there and Wood was in college last year, for crying out loud.

God, our pitching is young. Julio's innings need to be limited in Sept so he's a full go in Oct.

jpx7
08-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Medlen isn't going to bullpen. [...] He'll be traded before he ever goes to the bullpen, although I see the scenario of Hudson being let go more realistic

Agreed.

Enscheff
08-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Well, I personally think last year was a fluke for Medlen. I think he's a mid to high 3's pitcher if he remains in the rotation.

Agreed. I was clamoring for Wren to sell high on Medlen this offseason. Maybe he just didn't have any buyers offering anything he wanted, who knows.

I could very easily see Medlen traded this offseason and Hudson signed year to year until he retires, or a contact with a bunch of mutual options.

No way Wren trades Minor, Teheran or Wood this offseason. Maybe Beachy if his stuff doesn't come back. He seems to be 2-3 MPH short on his fastball this year.

I have a feeling Uggla is gone this offseason, and someone like Medlen is used to help convince the other team to pay more of Uggla's money. Some AL team can use him as a primary DH, and the Braves can't really continue to run a poor defender at 2B if he's only putting up a 700-750 OPS.

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Why are you so absolutely sure about this? Beachy has progressed a little quicker than expected, but still doesn't look especially sharp. We'll see how the next month and a half play out, but as of today I still trust Medlen more (as far as 2013 is concerned).

Beachy has improved since his first start, including an 8 inning shutout of Miami and two more quality starts. I am not saying he's back to what he use to be yet. But even so he seems to be progressing fine (and I'd still trust him over Medlen at this point). Medlen is mostly a two pitch pitcher unlike Beachy. Also, I wouldn't say that I am "absolutely sure" based on my qualifier regarding Beachy's health. It's possible Beachy goes through a dead arm period. I wouldn't call him a lock, I just expect him to be in the rotation the way things are going barring a set-back.

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 04:49 PM
I could very easily see Medlen traded this offseason and Hudson signed year to year until he retires, or a contact with a bunch of mutual options.

Agreed. The Braves historically prefer at least one vet like Huddy in the rotation to help the young guns along. So as long as Huddy's rehab goes well, I expect him to re-sign and take another hometown discount.

cajunrevenge
08-19-2013, 04:56 PM
I am warming up to the idea of Medlen going to the pen next year. I was really against it this year because I wanted him to get a full season in the rotation to prove himself which I think he has done. I think his value now is higher than it was last offseason because he has a whole 1.5 years of success in the rotation even if he hasnt been as good as we hoped this year. I really like the idea of going into 2014 with 6 capable starters. Odds are we will need all 6. I would re-sign Hudson and let Medlen/Wood/Beachy compete for 2 rotation spots with the loser starting in the pen. All 3 have bullpen experience and could thrive in that role while waiting for a rotation spot. Pitching depth is almost always an illusion. We thought there wouldnt be room when Beachy came back June 15th, its not August 19th and its just now becoming an issue. It would be a little different to me if Gilmartin and Graham had proven that they would be ready for a rotation spot sometimes next year. Both are big question marks going into 2014.

nsacpi
08-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Most teams need 8-9 starters to get through a season. Having a quality sixth guy in AAA is a good thing. I think we'll bring back Huddy, and Wood (even though he might be our best starting pitcher) will start the year in AAA. Whoever is the sixth guy will get a lot of starts.

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Most teams need 8-9 starters to get through a season. Having a quality sixth guy in AAA is a good thing. I think we'll bring back Huddy, and Wood (even though he might be our best starting pitcher) will start the year in AAA. Whoever is the sixth guy will get a lot of starts.

We mostly agree as usual, I just don't see Wood starting in AAA like you do. I expect him to perform too well for that to happen.

jpx7
08-19-2013, 05:15 PM
But even so he seems to be progressing fine (and I'd still trust him over Medlen at this point).

I simply think it's too early to ascertain exactly how fine Beachy's progressing, much less trust him over Medlen at this point. While 2014 is a different story, I just have a lot more faith in Medlen for this season's purposes — and Beachy would have to be pretty dominant over the next month and a half to change my mind.

PawPawMaxwell
08-19-2013, 05:19 PM
As stated: Much too early to tell but how is this years top draft pick doing. He is in the same mold as Wood IIRC. Already thru TJ also. Could he be on same track as Wood?

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I simply think it's too early to ascertain exactly how fine Beachy's progressing, much less trust him over Medlen at this point. While 2014 is a different story, I just have a lot more faith in Medlen for this season's purposes — and Beachy would have to be pretty dominant over the next month and a half to change my mind.

Well, if we agreed on everything things wouldn't be very interesting. Seriously, I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree on who we trust more between them.

jpx7
08-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Seriously, I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree on who we trust more between them.

Plus, there's still about six weeks' worth of games to potentially sway one of us one way or the other.

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Plus, there's still about six weeks' worth of games to potentially sway one of us one way or the other.

True.