PDA

View Full Version : Strength of this year's team

Runnin
08-17-2013, 11:29 AM
I think it's overall team and organizational depth.

We've weathered a lot of adversity without missing a step. 2 of our 3 best relievers go down. No problem. Still have the best bullpen in baseball. Lose a veteran starter and a team leader. Really? I almost didn't even notice. McCann out for 6 weeks. Huh? Position players forget how to hit, etc. Who cares? Chipper who?

We keep forgetting how young the team is, the youngest in fact, but perhaps that's because they appear so ready to contribute. We've gotten such good play out of guys no one expected to play major roles or major minutes - Gattis, Teheran, CJ, Schafer, Alex Wood, Carpenter, Walden. These guys haven't been just serviceable, they've played like allstars. Talk about stepping up. It would be impossible to say who's been the best new Brave this year.

And others have taken that step forward that we all hoped they would - Minor, Freeman, Heyward and Medlen are both back on track. Simmons' defense is still other-worldly and he's holding his own as a hitter, which is more than enough for him for now. McCann and Kimbrel are both still beasts.

BJ and Uggla have sucked but it hasn't hurt us that much.

If it's true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, barring any major fails (which I'm well aware is still possible.) this team should be feeling pretty strong come this post-season.

Frank Wren should take some time to enjoy what he has created. I know I am. :pound:

Temo
08-19-2013, 01:37 PM
I was gonna make this post today, then saw that it was already made.

The Braves have no one in the top 40 in the majors in WAR... but then have 4 guys in 5 spots just outside. BJ and Andrelton are the only guys on the team with significantly below-average batting lines, and most everyone is in the solid-to-good range. Same for the pitchers... no real top-the-line guys, just a staff with zero holes. The bullpen has Kimbrel, who is a game-changer, but other than that, just a bunch of good players.

They're such a deep team this year, and it's been a lot of fun. Very few complaints about anyone's play (really just BJ).

The Chosen One
08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
You don't think Uggla's Batting average is significantly low?

Temo
08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
You don't think Uggla's Batting average is significantly low?

His batting average blows, but he takes the most walks on the team, has the 2nd best power numbers (after McCann, tied with JUpton), and doesn't play an offense-premium position. I understand he's overpaid, but as a player he's been a little below average as a 2nd baseman.

Julio3000
08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
His batting average blows, but he takes the most walks on the team, has the 2nd best power numbers (after McCann, tied with JUpton), and doesn't play an offense-premium position. I understand he's overpaid, but as a player he's been a little below average as a 2nd baseman.

Yeah. Check the league-average 2B numbers posted in the backup IF (?) thread. He's not a bargain, but he's no SVOD relative to his peers.

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Starting pitching, which I thought was a huge concern.

Temo
08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah. Check the league-average 2B numbers posted in the backup IF (?) thread. He's not a bargain, but he's no SVOD relative to his peers.

Yep.

NL 2B: .251/.311/.376
Uggla: .186/.307/.389

50PoundHead
08-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Things have really fallen in place. I thought the bullpen would be really good and it has been. Stating pitching has been the big surprise for me. Much better than I expected.

Offense has been inconsistent, but power up and down the line-up is a plus. Upton the Elder and Uggla have underperformed, but Upton the Younger carried the squad early and is heating up again. Freeman and Heyward are both top-drawer talents. Key hits from Gattis early as well. McCann got back just as Gattis was cooling off.

So, outside of a couple of really painful stretches that thankfully weren't that long, the old cliche of "someone different every day" has found its way into our season.

Runnin
08-19-2013, 09:09 PM
That last game with the Nats was a perfect example of guys stepping up and delivering on the big stage. Whatever Fredi and his staff are doing the young players are coming in to the game and more than holding their own.

The season isn't quite over yet but so far this team as a whole has held together and performed pretty darn well. I hope they don't start getting complacent. It's not this easy folks.