PDA

View Full Version : GDT 8/17/2013: Nationals @ Braves

Pages : [1] 2 3

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 02:09 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgUx_Vi6BnHoCh-MYhKGN1MjCL5YF_cBE9zjm-_GeaCKxz2nUOsw

Tonight's lineup for your Atlanta Braves:
Jason Heyward RF
Justin Upton LF
Freddie Freeman 1B
Brian McCann C
Chris Johnson 3B
Jordan Schafer CF
Andrelton Simmons SS
Paul Janish 2B
Mike Minor P

Tonight's lineup for the visiting Washington Nationals:
Denard Span CF
Anthony Rendon 2B
Ryan Zimmerman 3B
Jayson Werth RF
Ian Desmond SS
Wilson Ramos C
Tyler Moore 1B
Scott Hairston LF
Stephen Strasburg P

jpack1
08-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Here we go.

BravesBlock
08-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Wow. Has BJ lost his starting job to Jordan? It would be shocking if Fredi left BJ off the postseason roster. BJ has to snap out of the funk eventually. Our management obviously thought highly of him to award him a $75 million dollar contract. Still can't believe that he is the top paid person on our team. He hasn't done anything this year to warrant anywhere near $75 million. I sure hope he snaps out of his season long slump soon.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Sounds like he's in a platoon role.

With what he's getting paid, he needs to be starting, not like Schafer has been all that great since coming off the DL.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Yeah, he needs to be starting and going 0-4 every day with two to three strikeouts. Have an occasional three to four games where he starts hitting and then go right back to sucking. It could be something else.

The Chosen One
08-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Could be showcasing Jordan with Reed coming back soon.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Apparently, Tyler Jordan got hurt during the game yesterday for the Nationals? They placed him on the DL and recalled an OF.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Apparently, Tyler Jordan got hurt during the game yesterday for the Nationals? They placed him on the DL and recalled an OF.

Nah, he's coming back from TJ.

Might of been his last start of the year.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah, he needs to be starting and going 0-4 every day with two to three strikeouts. Have an occasional three to four games where he starts hitting and then go right back to sucking. It could be something else.

Not like Jordan has been all that great either, BJ needs to start.

skidlee
08-17-2013, 02:54 PM
nothing wrong with schafer starting

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Not like Jordan has been all that great either, BJ needs to start.

Jordan hasn't been terrible all season; BJ has. Yeah, we don't need 15 million dollars sitting on the bench, but he hasn't exactly given Fredi a choice. Again, I think there may be more to it. As mentioned, possibly showcasing Schafer. For all we know, there may be some current disagreement going on between Fredi and BJ.

Gary82
08-17-2013, 03:00 PM
The Nats boards' Hey Atlanta thread is quite a treat. Some of my favorites:

I actually think Atlanta is stupid enough to throw at Bryce in the first inning.

If that happens - forgetta bout it ...

A brawl is inevitable regardless - if an Atlanta player is lost for the year because of it, so be it.

You reap what you sow you douchebags

I wouldn't mind taking a swing

I was so mad last night I chased my kid out of the room - I said some not so nice things

I think I need to go to confession or something

The Nats are not likely to make the playoffs, and one or two games won't matter. Hit somebody hard enough that he leaves the game. Thorw fastbal and slider low and outside. Then a full-power fastball high and tight. If the Braves hitter os dumb enough to lean across the plate, so be it. Break bones.

freak Atlanta - with it's ridiculous and racist "tomahawk" BS (There's a team like the 'Skins inheriting the name, then there's only recently coming up with offensive crap that every single fan in the park joins in on.) The Braves, a team so evil their stadium is literally death incarnate, having claimed two souls in five years to fuel its hoodoo.

It's nlot just at a high level.

I got hit in a 16-year olds league because the guy ahead of me hit ne over an ice cream truck parked on a street beyond center field. I went looking to steal second and spike the 2B. Previous season stomped on opposing catcher's foot because they guy had it on home plate when my guy scored. A team from Laurel didn't try to break up a DP after their runner slid late and body-high as our SS threw side-arm toward 1B. SS had a strong arm -- he was a backup pitcher -- and he throw hit he runner snack in the forehead. No runners wore batting helmets on base.

Heck, I once carved a gash in the shin-guards of a catcher from Hyattsville and he was a childhood friend. I slide high enough to miss his feet, though.

That's baseball.

skidlee
08-17-2013, 03:04 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 8m

BJ said "i have no argument" about not playing. Gave classy, team-first response.

lets not assume BJ is being an a-hole about not playing

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 03:06 PM
BJ is terrible, it's amazing some people still want him to play.

Gary82
08-17-2013, 03:07 PM
BJ is probably a good dude and a great teammate. He knows the deal. I just hope that he turns it around soon.

PawPawMaxwell
08-17-2013, 03:17 PM

Announced yesterday that it would be his last start of the year. Typical Nats practice of shutting their young guys down.

PawPawMaxwell
08-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I for one hope there is no brawl tonite. We would definitely be at a disadvantage with BJ and Uggla taking swings and missing.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 03:21 PM
The Nats boards' Hey Atlanta thread is quite a treat. Some of my favorites:

Quote 1: Lulz. I WISH Harper would try to charge the mound.
Quote 2: If you're that upset, you need to re-evaluate life.
Quote 3: So now, you're cool with hitting people?
Quote 4: Washington Redskins and former Washington Bullets say hello. Real classy trying to bring people who died in accidents into the convo.
Quote 5: What are you even talking about?

tvsportscaster
08-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Harper scratched from the staring lineup. Span now playing CF and leading off.

skidlee
08-17-2013, 03:43 PM
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3m

Nats have scratched Bryce Harper from their lineup tonight

BremanFan88
08-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Well some of us don't let 4 months overshadow a guys entire career. BJ is a good player who is struggling. It happens but the guy needs to play to get himself out of it for his sake and the Braves. I know some people like to go off of small sample sizes though. It's why guys like CJ and Schafer are thought of as the next great things by the general braves fan population and a guy like BJ is considered trash that needs to be gotten rid of asap. Perspective is a hell of a thing.

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Harper scratched from the staring lineup. Span now playing CF and leading off.

Really.

Bruised shoulder blade?

GovClintonTyree
08-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Well some of us don't let 4 months overshadow a guys entire career. BJ is a good player who is struggling. It happens but the guy needs to play to get himself out of it for his sake and the Braves. I know some people like to go off of small sample sizes though. It's why guys like CJ and Schafer are thought of as the next great things by the general braves fan population and a guy like BJ is considered trash that needs to be gotten rid of asap. Perspective is a hell of a thing.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. -Rick James (as told to Chip Caray)

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I can't see BJ being this bad the whole five years, but if it hasn't improved in October, you can't just "let him play his way out of it" then. Hopefully he'll get going in September.

gilesfan
08-17-2013, 03:59 PM

No, he has a hurt back. He was planning on 1-2 more starts.

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Could be showcasing Jordan with Reed coming back soon.

Don't think Reed is coming back soon, still not running. If they keep him on the DL till the rosters expand we don't have to sent Terdo down, which is a good thing.

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Really.

Bruised shoulder blade?

Post tramatic stress syndrone.

skidlee
08-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 1m

Davey said Bryce Harper was prepared to play tonight but went to hit & couldn't get his left arm loose -- result of one of the HBPs

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Schafer, BJ platoon might actually be a good idea. If either of them is clearly more productive (hopefully that would be BJ) he gets to play everyday. If Schafer keeps hitting .300 he'll have some value in the offseason, one would think.

Hawk
08-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Bryce Harper is a poonce.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I heard someone told Harper this **** was over, so he threw a temper tantrum like the little wuss he is and locked himself in his hotel room.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Really.

Bruised shoulder blade?
Sounds more like a bruised ego.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 04:10 PM

As is Schafer.

With his contract, he will be playing in the near future, let him play.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Announced yesterday that it would be his last start of the year. Typical Nats practice of shutting their young guys down.

Uhh, he's coming off TJ.

He had 1-2 starts left, all teams do this,

bravebonebook
08-17-2013, 04:11 PM
IF I didn't HATE the Nats so much and IF I didn't dislike most twenty something year olds and IF he didn't run his mouth sometimes half-cocked, I'd probably not want him hit. IMO, Ian Desmond is much more frustrating and deserving...

Heyward
08-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Schafer, BJ platoon might actually be a good idea. If either of them is clearly more productive (hopefully that would be BJ) he gets to play everyday. If Schafer keeps hitting .300 he'll have some value in the offseason, one would think.

Gonna be hard for BJ to get in any rhythm if he's just hitting vs lefties.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 04:14 PM
IF I didn't HATE the Nats so much and IF I didn't dislike most twenty something year olds and IF he didn't run his mouth sometimes half-cocked, I'd probably not want him hit. IMO, Ian Desmond is much more frustrating and deserving...

I hate the Nats too but how is Desmond more deserving.

He plays the game the right way, goes about his business and is a good player. Don't mind him at all.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Not to keep harping on Harper, but I don't mind Desmond all that much. Gained a lot more respect for him last series when he scolded Harper for not running out a pop out.

jsebe10
08-17-2013, 04:27 PM

Agreed. I dunno what it is about that trust fund baby, but Desmond urks me big time.

PawPawMaxwell
08-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Uhh, he's coming off TJ.

He had 1-2 starts left, all teams do this,
All I know is that Chip and Joe said a couple times that Jordan was being shut down after yesterdays game. Dont know which announcers you watched. Even commented when he ran his speed up to 95 or so that no reason for him to be leaving anything out there since was being shut down.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 04:32 PM
All I know is that Chip and Joe said a couple times that Jordan was being shut down after yesterdays game. Dont know which announcers you watched. Even commented when he ran his speed up to 95 or so that no reason for him to be leaving anything out there since was being shut down.

Even still, he was getting near the 160 inning cap.

All teams do this.

tvsportscaster
08-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Infielder Tyler Greene has been signed as a minor league free agent and has been assigned to Gwinnett. Probably nothing more than minor league roster filler with Pastornicky and Gosselin gone from Gwinnett.

NinersSBChamps
08-17-2013, 04:34 PM
BJ doesn't care if he plays or not. He's getting 75 million over the next 5 seasons no matter what. If he in fact wants to win, then being on the bench is the best option for the team.

thethe
08-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Yeah, this year is almost a lost year. Hopefully he comes back hitting next year. We are going to see a platoon for the rest of the year me thinks.

Wonder if we might get Heyward in CF in the postseason.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Yeah, this year is almost a lost year. Hopefully he comes back hitting next year. We are going to see a platoon for the rest of the year me thinks.

Wonder if we might get Heyward in CF in the postseason.Depending on which of Gattis, Schafer, BJ and even Terdo are hot at the time of the playoffs, we very well might see J-Hey in CF.

thethe
08-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Depending on which of Gattis, Schafer, BJ and even Terdo are hot at the time of the playoffs, we very well might see J-Hey in CF.

Gattis hasn't shown that much in a while so I'm not sure its going to happen. Might make sense to just go defense all around and keep Heyward in RF.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Gattis hasn't shown that much in a while so I'm not sure its going to happen. Might make sense to just go defense all around and keep Heyward in RF.Lately, I agree. However, there is still a month and a half before the playoffs start; so, who knows whom may be hot by then. (hopefully all of the above)

Heyward
08-17-2013, 04:47 PM
I doubt it.

BJ is still our best bet in CF.

Tapate50
08-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Gattis hasn't shown that much in a while so I'm not sure its going to happen. Might make sense to just go defense all around and keep Heyward in RF.

To be fair to your boy, he hasn't been getting much pt. He has also landed a few pretty close to the fence. I think he needs reps.

Diesel
08-17-2013, 04:48 PM
I think Schafer is doing quite well despite not having results recently. Still working the count, taking walks and hitting to the opposite field. Hit in some tough luck of late. I seriously think he is getting a solid look because Fredi is preparing him for the playoffs. This is a lost season for BJ. No way you can run him out there in the playoffs.

As for Harper, I think Davey is keeping him out of this game because the Nats are getting some retribution tonight. And they want Harper out of the crosshairs.

thethe
08-17-2013, 04:52 PM
To be fair to your boy, he hasn't been getting much pt. He has also landed a few pretty close to the fence. I think he needs reps.

Don't get me wrong...still love the guy as a long term piece and you're right he needs more playing time. Before it was too much because he just hasn't gotten used to it but now its on the other extreme. I think Mac comes back so the Braves are going to have to find some way to get the guy in the lineup consistently but not too much. Heyward in CF once every two weeks could be a start. Once at first base every two weeks. Then put him at catcher 1-2 times per week.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 04:54 PM
I think Schafer is doing quite well despite not having results recently. Still working the count, taking walks and hitting to the opposite field. Hit in some tough luck of late. I seriously think he is getting a solid look because Fredi is preparing him for the playoffs. This is a lost season for BJ. No way you can run him out there in the playoffs.

As for Harper, I think Davey is keeping him out of this game because the Nats are getting some retribution tonight. And they want Harper out of the crosshairs.

Sure you can.

It's either Schafer or BJ.

Kinda hard for BJ to do much if all he's hitting is vs lefties.

Bye Week
08-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Never thought there was such a thing as a bad BJ until I saw Bossman this year.

Mrs. Meta
08-17-2013, 05:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Jch1ay2.jpg

Day 4 of gall bladder surgery recovery - I think I actually feel lucid enough to watch a game tonight :icwudt:

Bdawg2309
08-17-2013, 05:06 PM
If anyone should be drilled its Danny Espinosa.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 05:08 PM
If anyone should be drilled its Danny Espinosa.

I miss him and his fake beard.

Diesel
08-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Sure you can.

It's either Schafer or BJ.

Kinda hard for BJ to do much if all he's hitting is vs lefties.

You act like you missed the first 4 months of this season. BJ was less than dependable even before he signed with ATL. Now, he's a liability at the plate and the way the lineup is constructed it seems as if Schafer is being given the chance to show he adds more to this team. They won't give up on BJ because of his contract. But as for this postseason, the Braves need to do what's best for the team and Schafer could prove to be more productive than BJ. He won't have to do much for that to be the case.

BlackwaterPark
08-17-2013, 05:25 PM

I think the frustrating thing, at least it is for is, why does a majority of players the Braves bring in struggle massively.

The Chosen One
08-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I think the frustrating thing, at least it is for is, why does a majority of players the Braves bring in struggle massively.

THe pressure of playing in a non-pressure media city.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 06:07 PM

You act like he's a career 300 hitter

He's underachieved his entire career. Maybe he's just not that good.

parkvadawg
08-17-2013, 06:21 PM
You act like he's a career 300 hitter

He's underachieved his entire career. Maybe he's just not that good.

He certainly has performed better than this year. Would be a massive mistake to just chalk 75 mil up in the loss column. I'm glad they are putting him on notice but I'd bet this ends up being great for him

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Bleh.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 06:24 PM
He certainly has performed better than this year. Would be a massive mistake to just chalk 75 mil up in the loss column. I'm glad they are putting him on notice but I'd bet this ends up being great for him

I bet he ends up being mediocre. Only reason people will think he's great is because they'll compare it to this year.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Ok so who gets plunked?

My vote is Upton.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Minor made Zimmerman foul that off his ankle on purpose.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Minor made Zimmerman foul that off his ankle on purpose.

JERK!!!

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Really tight zone tonight so far.

Mrs. Meta
08-17-2013, 06:33 PM

Wood

thethe
08-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Vavaro is going to get some work today.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Minor struggling in the first, doing Tom Glavine proud lol.

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 06:36 PM
could be a 40 pitch inning

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 06:37 PM
WOW. Minor. Hell of a play, but wayyy to close. Good idea, though. Ballsy.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Wow, I don't know about that one.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Lol and then immediately gives up a two-run single.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Welp...

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Lol and then immediately gives up a two-run single.

first ball hit out of the infield

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 06:41 PM

yeah, lets see how it looks the other way.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:41 PM
first ball hit out of the infield

Yeah it was a dorky inning. But he set himself up walking two men.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Take advantage of that, Heyward.

thethe
08-17-2013, 06:45 PM
He is on a different level right now. WOW.

Krovahn
J-HEY! Great AB!

ChapelHillMatt
wow that ball was crushed!!!

bravesnumberone
Here comes the plunk.

parkvadawg
Can the Jason haters finally eat crow?

bravesnumberone
Called it.

thethe
We knew that was coming.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 06:46 PM
I knew Upton was going to be the one

Krovahn
And there it is. And J-UP just calmly takes his base. No stare down, nothing. I love it! ..ok, slight stare down, but with a smile.

CrimsonCowboy
There you go

zitothebrave
#Doesntcareaboutbaseball.

ChapelHillMatt
Thanks for the free baserunner, we appreciate it

Lville21
Thanks, Stras. Now implode and give up the lead for that useless HBP.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Now let's light these bums up.

thethe
08-17-2013, 06:47 PM
liberty needs to open up the purse strings to keep Jason/Freddie/Justin. I hope they realize that we can be a dynasty with those three core guys long term.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Man, Freddie looked silly there... but he just missed one of the fastballs.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Alright let's keep hitting.

thethe
08-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Damn, CJ hit that HARD.

bravesnumberone
Lame. BABDP.

Krovahn
Damn, CJ scalded that, just right at him.

zitothebrave
liberty needs to open up the purse strings to keep Jason/Freddie/Justin. I hope they realize that we can be a dynasty with those three core guys long term.

Yup sprinkle in Simmons who should be pretty cheap since he's a defensive first player.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:51 PM
We hit him well that inning. If Minor can settle down and not walk people, we'll be fine.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 06:53 PM

Why would we want to keep Heyward? He doesn't love baseball. We need to trade him, afterall he's no better than Francoeur. His only value is his defense in RF.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 06:53 PM

We can keep them, it's all a matter if they want to stay longterm.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Nats are all over him.

Be lucky to make it through 5.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 06:55 PM
No surprise JUp got hit, hope that's all and we can move on, probably not though.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:55 PM
That'll be reviewed next year.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Ugh...

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 06:56 PM
No surprise JUp got hit, hope that's all and we can move on, probably not though.

If there's anything else, it'll be the Nats coming after us. The Braves, like every other logical person knows how dumb the Nats' complaining and reasoning about last night being on purpose was.

tvsportscaster
08-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Mike Minor is really struggling tonight. He needs to tighten things up.

Heyward
CJ actually with some bad luck, he smoked that ball.

Even still, some good swings off Stras.

bravesnumberone
Mike Minor is really struggling tonight. He needs to tighten things up.

Seems like he's struggled a bit against the Nats. He's gotta start putting guys away with two strikes.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 06:59 PM
If there's anything else, it'll be the Nats coming after us. The Braves, like every other logical person knows how dumb the Nats' complaining and reasoning about last night being on purpose was.

I hope we just let it go, we can't afford to get anyone hurt or suspended.

TURBO
08-17-2013, 07:03 PM
from nats board

LOL, why are you guys so excited. They have gotten Harper 3 times and INJURED him. He just hit UPton in the butt and was then laughed at by UPton and Pendelton. Once again the Braves are our daddy.

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 07:04 PM
minor ain't got it tonight.Weak hitting Nats can't hit a fair ball but normally MM puts guys away and tonight he isn't.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:04 PM
from nats board

LOL, why are you guys so excited. They have gotten Harper 3 times and INJURED him. He just hit UPton in the butt and was then laughed at by UPton and Pendelton. Once again the Braves are our daddy.

Lol, hurt?

He will be back in the lineup tommorow or Monday, smh.

thethe
08-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Did we just get Tommy Hanson back? This is painful.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
No consistency at all tonight. Hope the pen is ready to put work in. I will say that last pitch was a strike.

Krovahn
Ugh, that was strike 3.

Heyward
Wow how is that not a strike.

Probably cash in here.

Dunit24
08-17-2013, 07:07 PM
its all mental with mike minor

nibbling is his worst enemy and if he isnt nibbling tonight then i dont know what nibbling is

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:07 PM
its all mental with mike minor

nibbling is his worst enemy and if he isnt nibbling tonight then i dont know what nibbling is

I would say pretty much all of our starters except maybe Wood, haven't seen enough of him, have that problem.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:09 PM
My God, it's time to pull him. Did Minor's gf dump him or something?

Heyward
Ugh he's got nothing tonight.

One of those games, happens to every pitcher.

Unfortunately.

Dunit24
cmon mike..no walks.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 07:11 PM
He is missing, badly.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:11 PM
He's getting way too much of the plate with these two-strike pitches, allowing them to get a piece of them. With the warning, his inability to go inside is hurting him too.

Krovahn
08-17-2013, 07:12 PM
He finally throws a decent pitch and Werth just reaches down and flips it.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Game.

zitothebrave
Bad game for Minor.

CrimsonCowboy
Disappointing night to be sure

thethe
Wow. That was a good piece of hitting.

Dunit24
4 walks
4 runs

good move fredi
mike can relax now, horrible outing and its obvious he was pitching scared.

bravesnumberone
Werth is a damn good hitter.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:14 PM
4 walks
4 runs

good move fredi

Meh, just one of those bad games where you don't have it.

Happens to every pitcher.

BravesBlock
08-17-2013, 07:14 PM
4 walks
4 runs

good move fredi

Inexperience truly shows. Hudson would have been able to grind out and give us at least five innings.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
It happens to every guy. Hopefully doesn't happen anymore to Minor this year. We need him to be an ace.

tvsportscaster
08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Yeah it was obvious that Mike reverted back to how it was early in his career, he was nibbling and not very aggressive and couldn't put anybody away. Just a horrific performance by Minor. It happens, though, just shake it off and get them next time.
And I'm not sure this one is over, the Braves hit some rockets off Strasburg.

BravesBlock
08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Wouldn't it be crushing if the Braves came back to win this game. And we all know it is possible if our bullpen shuts them down.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah it was obvious that Mike reverted back to how it was early in his career, he was nibbling and not very aggressive and couldn't put anybody away. Just a horrific performance by Minor. It happens, though, just shake it off and get them next time.
And I'm not sure this one is over, the Braves hit some rockets off Strasburg.

Our top 5 sans Freddie was good vs him, bottom of the order is horrific.

I don't see us getting 4+ off Stras.

Just chalk it up as a loss and get the series tommorow.

Runnin
08-17-2013, 07:18 PM
You gotta bring more than that when faces Strasburg.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Our top 5 sans Freddie was good vs him, bottom of the order is horrific.

I don't see us getting 4+ off Stras.

Just chalk it up as a loss and get the series tommorow.

We are kind of due to get our asses kicked in, something like 11-3.

bravebonebook
08-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Just got in to see the score and Varvaro pitching in the 2nd! I didn't know they were going to activate and start Maholm today....

tvsportscaster
You gotta bring more than that when faces Strasburg.

Yeah and in the playoffs you will be matched up against the other teams aces, Minor has to be better than that. But he was purely awful tonight.

The Chosen One
Game.

If we come back to win this game you will be suspended for 2 days, non-negotiable.

TURBO
08-17-2013, 07:21 PM
If we come back to win this game you will be suspended for 2 days, non-negotiable.

awesome

gilesfan

Then they don't know what they are talking about.

Heyward

That's fine, I hope I'm wrong, I don't see us winning this game.

We're due for an ass kicking.

zitothebrave
08-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Start chipping away at the lead now.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:23 PM
If we hold them scoreless from here on, I think we can do it.

Lville21
Hopefully the long inning will make Strasburg rusty and the Braves can get 1-2 runs back.

skidlee
Atlanta Braves ‏@Braves 17s

Since Fredi Gonzalez took the helm in 2011, the Braves have the best record in the National League at 258-188 (.578)

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Toss him. Shouldn't Schafer get the plate there?

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Wow lol

skidlee
08-17-2013, 07:25 PM
holy crap

Krovahn
Did Rick Ankiel put on a Strasburg jersey?

bravesnumberone
Damn, I wasn't being serious. Don't toss him now.

TURBO
hahahahahahahahahahaha

skidlee
Toss him. Shouldn't Schafer get the plate there?

no '

TOSS HIS ASS

Krovahn
EJECTED????

Heyward
Stras is tossed!

thethe
08-17-2013, 07:26 PM
WTF?

Do the Nationals even care about winning games anymore?

Thanks Stras! LOL

stpeteirish

2 days is way too light for this offense.

Heyward
EJECTED????

Yep.

Lville21
Stras is a "Team" player.

Heyward
2 days is way too light for this offense.

I said game, not like I said anything personal to anyone.

thethe
08-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Uh Oh!!

bravesnumberone
Rick the Wild Thing Vaughn.

Krovahn
3 Straight like that... definitely Rick Ankiel in a Strasburg jersey.

zitothebrave
WTF?

Do the Nationals even care about winning games anymore?

Thanks Stras! LOL

Seriously that's some lulz.

Heyward
Uh Oh!!

Ain't worried.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:28 PM
This actually sucks. I had more confidence against Stras than I do against their pen.:cooter:

thethe
08-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Simmons better take 2 here.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Simmons better take 2 here.

If he swings, he needs to be removed.

ChapelHillMatt
Been a bad year for the Nats.

This was supposed to be their year. They can't do anything right, not even hit a guy.

stpeteirish
not able to watch, did Stras get tossed for trying to hit Simmons and missing?

TDlxANDER
Stras didn't argue much when he got tossed

Heyward
This actually sucks. I had more confidence against Stras than I do against their pen.:cooter:

I agree with this.

At least it's not Stammen, yet.

thethe

Three wild pitches in a row. Two were inside that missed Simmons BEHIND him.

Heyward

Basically, did it three straight times, crazy.

CrimsonCowboy
08-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Nats now have nothing to say

Murphfan
Wth is going on here? Was Stras trying to cya for another upcoming plunk? This doesn't make a lot of sense..btw, new here, how ya'll doing...

bravesnumberone
I mean that was some vintage Mark Wohlers circe '97-'98 ****.

JusticeForAll23
I just got home and so I just saw the boxscore...and is all that right? Minor done after 1.2 innings? Strasburg ejected? Why'd Strasburg get ejected?

Krovahn
Honestly, it half looks like the YIPS... I dunno, though.

thethe
08-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Good TRON!

Orphan Black
08-17-2013, 07:32 PM
3 Straight like that... definitely Rick Ankiel in a Strasburg jersey.

I actually wondered about this...it didn't look like he was trying to hit anyone. It looked like Mark Wohlers and Rick Ankiel wild...he walked Schafer on 4 straight, and then 3 extremely wild pitches.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 07:33 PM
It just seems to me like the Nats aren't gonna be satisfied unless they start a bench clearing brawl. It appears that they are annoyed the Braves aren't responding.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I just got home and so I just saw the boxscore...and is all that right? Minor done after 1.2 innings? Strasburg ejected? Why'd Strasburg get ejected?

Threw three straight times behind Simmons, warned after the second one.

Did it again, tossed.

TDlxANDER
08-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Will Stras be in CF tomorrow?

thethe
It just seems to me like the Nats aren't gonna be satisfied unless they start a bench clearing brawl. It appears that they are annoyed the Braves aren't responding.

Do they even realize that we have a bear in our dugout?

DaneHill
Thought it looked more Ankiel-like too. That's actually worrisome. Don't want to consider one of the best pitchers in the league suddenly coming down with that condition.

Krovahn
Jeeze, almost hit Janish.

TDlxANDER
Can our RP's bunt?

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
That pitch just tailed away from him. Come on Anthony don't **** this up.

Runnin
There's got to be a better way to play baseball than that. I understand the retaliation thing but at some point it gets silly. The best retaliation is to win the game.

Murphfan
Kinda get the feelin' that this whole 'plunk' thing ain't over.

Heyward
Good job, Janish, get this bunt down.

CrimsonCowboy
I think Strasburg knew exactly what he was doing

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Beyond pathetic. At least it didn't result in a double play. If Heyward gets hit here, we'll know it's on.

Murphfan
yep

Krovahn
Come on J-HEY!

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Bleh, looked lost the entire time.

Do work, JHey.

TDlxANDER
The first pitch behind looked Ankiel like. The second one...not so much. And after he saw the tossed signal...Stras just walked to the bench...no words no emotion.

ChapelHillMatt
So is their goal to injure one of our players or retaliate?

I'm confused.

skidlee
08-17-2013, 07:38 PM

but couldn't do it

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:39 PM
We need some more insights from the Nats' forum.

Also, we don't need to squander this chance here.

Orphan Black

That could be, but that first one behind the back wasn't even close. Unless he was just trying to set up the ump to say he was just wild.

Heyward
Thats a run if the bunt gets down.

stpeteirish
08-17-2013, 07:41 PM

then he needs to let his catcher in on it.

bravesnumberone
We let them off the hook there. Just need our bullpen to shut it down.

thethe
Wow, we really needed to get another run there. That sucked. Did not expect Heyward/Upton to fail there.

Murphfan
08-17-2013, 07:42 PM
He was setting up the ump for another drill.

stpeteirish
two innings its 8:41, didn't this game start at 7:10?

CrimsonCowboy
To say it's been an odd two innings is like saying it gets a bit warm during Summer.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Terrrrible to squander that opportunity.

Does Stras get suspended, that looked intentional.

Wonder how Giles defends that.

JusticeForAll23
08-17-2013, 07:43 PM
And 1 hour and 33 minutes later we've finally completed TWO innings!

CrimsonCowboy
08-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 1m
It has taken an hour and 20 minutes to play the first two innings here. Take that #Yankees and #RedSox.

cajunrevenge
08-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Thank you, I hate people who give up on games so easily. Especially when they hang around the rest of the game thread repeating their doom and gloom.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Who here besides me thinks when Minor got taken out in the second inning, Carpenter tried to find a hole to crawl into? #fredi

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 07:46 PM
What I hate about this the most is what if one of our pitches get away and we hit someone? Then they probably charge the mound and we have a fight.

BravesBlock
08-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Wow, we really needed to get another run there. That sucked. Did not expect Heyward/Upton to fail there.
They can't be the only players we expect to step up. To go all the way this year the team is going to need a lot of contributions from the bottom part of the batting order.

Now come on braves and get this game tied so it will be a new game. Battle of the bullpens? I like our chances.

cajunrevenge
08-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Who here besides me thinks when Minor got taken out in the second inning, Carpenter tried to find a hole to crawl into? #fredi

Considering his career before this year I think he is just happy to be getting a big league paycheck right now.

Krovahn
An uneventful half inning? What is this?

bravesnumberone
Nice job, Vavaro. Time for the middle of the order to step up and do something here.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 07:49 PM
All this commotion has everyone really stirred up on scout. They are so upset they haven't even started a gamethread yet.

gilesfan
08-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Terrrrible to squander that opportunity.

Does Stras get suspended, that looked intentional.

Wonder how Giles defends that.

Nothing to defend. I have no clue what happened like everyone else.

Why would he hit Simmons after walking a guy on 4 pitches? Why would he lead Simmons off with a curve all in the left hand batters box? I'm thinking more injury as he wintered leg last start. But I have no clue.

I thought Strasburg did what he should have with Upton.

cajunrevenge
08-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I hate to be the negative nancy but I bet Roark shuts us down for 3-4 innings. We never seem to hit long relievers.

gilesfan
08-17-2013, 07:51 PM
What I hate about this the most is what if one of our pitches get away and we hit someone? Then they probably charge the mound and we have a fight.

The warnings are dumb. Just judge the pitches individually. You could say the same after Teheran hit Harler and was warned. Or last night.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Nothing to defend. I have no clue what happened like everyone else.

Why would he hit Simmons after walking a guy on 4 pitches? Why would he lead Simmons off with a curve all in the left hand batters box? I'm thinking more injury as he wintered leg last start. But I have no clue.

I thought Strasburg did what he should have with Upton.

I agree mainly on the last part.

That was fine, trying to hurt Simmons on purpose is bush league, hope he gets a suspension, uncalled for. Lost respect for Strasburg. I think his intent was to get payback.

bravesnumberone
Come on Freeman, be better.

The Chosen One
I've seen some guys get HBP after warnings were issued but they didn't appear to be intentional so whoever is behind home plate has to make a judgement call.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I hate to be the negative nancy but I bet Roark shuts us down for 3-4 innings. We never seem to hit long relievers.

Which is why I was sad to see Stras go.

Heyward
Ugh...

bravesnumberone
Rally killer Chris Johnson. LOL we would have been better off with Strasburg.

gilesfan
08-17-2013, 07:55 PM
I agree mainly on the last part.

That was fine, trying to hurt Simmons on purpose is bush league, hope he gets a suspension, uncalled for. Lost respect for Strasburg. I think his intent was to get payback.

Why would he do it with runner on first? Why would he throw curveball? Makes no sense if he really was throwing at Simmons? Why Simmons and why that spot?

Why do you say he was trying to injure Simmons? Was Avilan trying to in injure Harper last night? (no)

BravesBlock
08-17-2013, 07:56 PM
And Julio is pitching tomorrow. Will be interested to see if this is over or they go after him.

ChapelHillMatt
08-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Why would he do it with runner on first? Why would he throw curveball? Makes no sense if he really was throwing at Simmons? Why Simmons and why that spot?

Joe said maybe it's because they know if Simmons is lost then it hurts the Braves the most because of our lack of depth in the middle infield.

But who knows? Only Strasburg and the Nationals know what their intent was. The fact that he didn't argue to me says a lot.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Why knock on wood, Chip? If the game gets postponed with them ahead before the fifth, it doesn't count. The lulz.

Murphfan
08-17-2013, 07:59 PM
I'll say again, I think it was a set-up for another drilling. Covering his arse.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Why do you say he was trying to injure Simmons? Was Avilan trying to in injure Harper last night? (no)

I have no idea, he threw behind him or at him with a purpose. Lose Simmons, defense goes reallllly bad.

That ball slipped, this seemed intentional, we will never know I guess.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Sigh.

gilesfan
08-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Joe said maybe it's because they know if Simmons is lost then it hurts the Braves the most because of our lack of depth in the middle infield.

But who knows? Only Strasburg and the Nationals know what their intent was. The fact that he didn't argue to me says a lot.

It would make sense to hit a good hitter if that was their intent.

Strasburg never argues anything. He gets the Andruw rep because he's so non chalant.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Werth gonna go yard here.

Murphfan
08-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Hope Julio has 7-8 in him tomorrow. Bullpen's gonna be ragged out.

Heyward
08-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Werth is locked in, pray and hope...

Heyward
08-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Hope Julio has 7-8 in him tomorrow. Bullpen's gonna be ragged out.

Meh, depends how many we get from Varvaro.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Again, this is where we're hurt by the warning. Can't go inside on Werth.

Murphfan
08-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Meh, depends how many we get from Varvaro.

He's not known for more than 3 at most. Been awhile since he's done that, hasn't it?

chopdrew
WHERE WAS THAT, BLUE?

ChapelHillMatt
Again, this is where we're hurt by the warning. Can't go inside on Werth.

I'd do it anyway.