Lewis 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Tellor 2-4, 2B, HR (1st), RBI
Dykstra 1-3, 2B
Ellison 1-4, 2 B
Morales 1-4, K (.405)
Salazar 1-4, RBI

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Great pitching lineup tonight. Soroka and Folty will hopefully build of their last starts.. Lawlor is an under the radar guy that needs to extend his outings to get noticed.. Ellis will hopefully cut his BB down this start..

UNCBlue012
04-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Great pitching tonight! I really hope Folty can continue to build. Dude was so impressive in his last start.

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Great pitching tonight! I really hope Folty can continue to build. Dude was so impressive in his last start.

If he continues to produce in AAA, I would say he would be ready to relieve Perez of his duties in two to three weeks.

UNCBlue012
04-18-2016, 03:19 PM
If he continues to produce in AAA, I would say he would be ready to relieve Perez of his duties in two to three weeks.

I sure hope he gets an opportunity soon. His biggest issue this spring looked like arm strength, so let's hope he's all good there.

50PoundHead
04-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Great pitching lineup tonight. Soroka and Folty will hopefully build of their last starts.. Lawlor is an under the radar guy that needs to extend his outings to get noticed.. Ellis will hopefully cut his BB down this start..

I wonder what the long term plan for Lawlor is. He leapfrogged Rome completely, so he obviously has something going for him.

skillet
04-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I don't think Folty will ever amount to anything at the major league level. He's never been more than a decent minor league pitcher. He throws hard but that's about it, and those die on the vine all the time.

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2016, 05:00 PM
I don't think Folty will every amount to anything at the major league level. He's never been more than a decent minor league pitcher. He throws hard but that's about it, and those die on the vine all the time.

Lol

rico43
04-18-2016, 05:06 PM
I don't think Folty will every amount to anything at the major league level. He's never been more than a decent minor league pitcher. He throws hard but that's about it, and those die on the vine all the time.

http://lowres.jantoo.com/books-literature-wild-hero-hung-caught-tarzan-36534932_low.jpg

So do posts like this.

Julio3000
04-18-2016, 05:40 PM
I certainly can't say if he'll be a long-term, effective starter or not, but he showed enough dominant flashes last year to warrant some patience.

cajunrevenge
04-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Milb.tv not showing Rome Tonight. Boooooooo.

Braves1976
04-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Milb.tv not showing Rome Tonight. Boooooooo.

Yea, that sucks because Soroka is quickly becoming one of my favorite pitching prospects.

UNCBlue012
04-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Folty might be ready to come back up. Dude is killing it.

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Folty might be ready to come back up. Dude is killing it.

might need to get MiLBtv.. his stat sheet is saying he is on tonight.

Braves1976
04-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Anyone watching Ellis pitch for Mississippi tonight? I see he just gave up his first hit with two outs in the third. I am not able to watch tonight so just wondering how he looks so far.

Braves1976
04-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Swanson with another multi-hit game tonight including an RBI double. Bird continuing to struggle after being put in a relief role and going back to High A. The Olivera trade gets better and better. Talk about a total bust of a trade if there ever was one.

smootness
04-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Not a great night for Folty. Just 3 H and 5 K in 5 IP, but also 4 BB and 3 ER. Ruiz 1-3.

Ellis pitching really well. 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K. Albies 1-3 with a 2B.

Lawlor didn't pitch well. 6 BB in 3.2 IP, 2 ER. Davidson 2-3 with a 2B, would be nice to see him heat up. Swanson 2-3 with a 2B, now up to .362.

Soroka had an up and down night. 6 K and only 1 BB in 5 IP but 7 H and 3 ER. ERA at 2.40. Not a great night for Rome's hitters. Riley 0-3 with 2 K (Even with his obvious power, my enthusiasm for him is dying quickly); Herbert 0-3 with 2 K, now hitting .135; Acuna 0-3 with 2 K and 1 BB.

CJ9
04-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Herbert and Riley have been pretty disappointing so far this year.

smootness
04-18-2016, 08:34 PM

The thing is, Riley's production has still been fine. His average has dropped but is still at least at .250, and his OPS is still about .800, even while he's in a big slump.

But the BB rate and the K rate are both atrocious right now. He needs to get those corrected, otherwise he'll need to repeat A-ball next year.

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Not a great night for Folty. Just 3 H and 5 K in 5 IP, but also 4 BB and 3 ER. Ruiz 1-3.

Ellis pitching really well. 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K. Albies 1-3 with a 2B.

Lawlor didn't pitch well. 6 BB in 3.2 IP, 2 ER. Davidson 2-3 with a 2B, would be nice to see him heat up. Swanson 2-3 with a 2B, now up to .362.

Soroka had an up and down night. 6 K and only 1 BB in 5 IP but 7 H and 3 ER. ERA at 2.40. Not a great night for Rome's hitters. Riley 0-3 with 2 K (Even with his obvious power, my enthusiasm for him is dying quickly); Herbert 0-3 with 2 K, now hitting .135; Acuna 0-3 with 2 K and 1 BB.

Folty had it working.. he ran into trouble with a soft single then stolen base.. Error didn't help him and made him throw more pitches. I think he just got tired. He still needs more time to build strength.

Lawlor was awful.. wild pitches and walks gave them at least 3 runs..

Riley is close to a 50% K rate. he is struggling to say the least... Herbert has not impressed either.. he K's a lot and also pops up too much..Hoping those two can pick it up a bit.

Braves1976
04-18-2016, 08:47 PM
The run Ellis gave up came about due to an error and was unearned last I checked, I wonder why they changed it to earned? Either way, good line again for Ellis tonight. I'll try to catch it on replay when the post the archive of the game later.

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2016, 08:59 PM
The run Ellis gave up came about due to an error and was unearned last I checked, I wonder why they changed it to earned? Either way, good line again for Ellis tonight. I'll try to catch it on replay when the post the archive of the game later.

Ellis has 1 next to ER.. so I assume they changed it.

rico43
04-18-2016, 09:10 PM

Herbert is a high school product who played in two games last year before hurting his knee. He's teenager in a full-season league. Take a deep breath.

FYI: he's thrown out five of eight base stealers so far.

rico43
04-18-2016, 09:11 PM

Why? Because the Southern League is full of bozos for official scorers. I should know; I am one.

CrimsonCowboy
04-18-2016, 09:15 PM
So, what are the chances Dansby Swanson is in Mississippi when the M-Braves come to Mobile a little more than a month from now?

CJ9
04-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Herbert is a high school product who played in two games last year before hurting his knee. He's teenager in a full-season league. Take a deep breath.

FYI: he's thrown out five of eight base stealers so far.

This place can be really annoying at times. No one ever said we were calling him a bust or ready to cut the guy. He hasn't started off well at the plate. That's not really up for debate.

msstate7
04-18-2016, 09:20 PM
So, what are the chances Dansby Swanson is in Mississippi when the M-Braves come to Mobile a little more than a month from now?

Probably not good unless Albies is in Gwinnett

rico43
04-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Just a random FYI:

Astudillo has played 10 games, 36 ABs so far (.278) and has yet to strike out or take a walk.

Last year, he was the hardest player to strike out in baseball.

bravesfanMatt
04-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Probably not good unless Albies is in Gwinnett

so you are thinking they are going to spend some time together in the minors this year?? not saying by X series.. but I think the FO is going to want them playing together for at least half this year IMO.. I know they want them both being SS.. but building that chemistry is important too.. Maybe they won't and want to keep both values high, just in case they think about including one in a trade this off season..

msstate7
04-18-2016, 09:50 PM
so you are thinking they are going to spend some time together in the minors this year?? not saying by X series.. but I think the FO is going to want them playing together for at least half this year IMO.. I know they want them both being SS.. but building that chemistry is important too.. Maybe they won't and want to keep both values high, just in case they think about including one in a trade this off season..

Beckham and aybar are going to get extended. We're gonna trade Swanson and Albies for bullpen arms

Really though, I have no idea if they'll let Albies and Swanson play together this year. I just figured the FO would want to get extended looks at each player playing SS daily

50PoundHead
04-18-2016, 09:50 PM

Check out where the other highly-ranked high school guys are playing and how they are doing. I did today and most of the high school first rounders are still in extended spring training. The ones who are playing in full-season ball aren't doing any better than Riley or Herbert.

clvclv
04-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Really might be missing an opportunity to further challenge both Albies and Swanson for a short time right now. I see little reason NOT to bump them to AAA and AA while Castro's with the big club and Beckham's on the DL. Would allow them both to see better breaking stuff for a bit.

Don't see how it would hinder their development in the least if you moved them back down if/when you send Daniel back down - pretty much the same thing as giving them both a look against better pitching during camp.

skillet
04-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Lol

OK smartass, you think you are so smart, his career minor league ERA is barely under 4, with a WHIP of 1.40. His K/BB ratio is barely 2. None of that is anything special at all. You see hundreds of guys like him all the time that never amount to **** in the big leagues. Further, his first 34 appearances in the bigs have been putrid.

rico43
04-18-2016, 11:15 PM
OK smartass, you think you are so smart, his career minor league ERA is barely under 4, with a WHIP of 1.40. His K/BB ratio is barely 2. None of that is anything special at all. You see hundreds of guys like him all the time that never amount to **** in the big leagues. Further, his first 34 appearances in the bigs have been putrid.

If I were a member of his immediate family I expect I might want to slap the taste out of your mouth. Last season was one in which he had a case of pneumonia that went undiagnosed for three weeks, followed by emergency surgery that removed a rib and blood clots that, to not be dramatic at all, could have killed him. This is coming from someone who lost his mom to a blood clot that was in her leg and broke loose before she could be treated.

So this annoying board would be a better place without name calling and knee jerk summation. Yeah, he had a crappy season. Most of us understand why.

skillet
04-18-2016, 11:19 PM
If I were a member of his immediate family I expect I might want to slap the taste out of your mouth. Last season was one in which he had a case of pneumonia that went undiagnosed for three weeks, followed by emergency surgery that removed a rib and blood clots that, to not be dramatic at all, could have killed him. This is coming from someone who lost his mom to a blood clot that was in her leg and broke loose before she could be treated.

So this annoying board would be a better place without name calling and knee jerk summation. Yeah, he had a crappy season. Most of us understand why.

So let me get this straight, posters can't have opinions on players unless they are either glowing, or meet your specifications. Duly noted.

rico43
04-18-2016, 11:35 PM
So let me get this straight, posters can't have opinions on players unless they are either glowing, or meet your specifications. Duly noted.

I don't censor, I don't control. I just happen to believe that there are ways to make your point, or state your case, without stepping into the gutter. I might agree with you sometimes, and don't at other times. It would be nice if you indicated some knowledge about the people you criticize. In this case, I felt your post was particularly insensitive; I learned some time ago that players' family members read this stuff -- even if the players don't (or shouldn't).

cajunrevenge
04-18-2016, 11:47 PM
I dont think they need to wait a bit. Players have hot streaks and cold streaks, lets see if they are still hitting like this a month from now. I would leave Albies at AA all year and promote Swanson about halfway through the MILB season. AA is more prospect laden than AAA and a lot of prospects skip it. Then they go to spring training with a chance to win a roster spot but if they arent 100% sure they are ready they can spend 2 months at AAA to delay free agency by a year. Since its a new stadium I think they will want all the excitement around the ML club they can and they start the season in the majors unless they have a terrible spring.

nsacpi
04-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Check out where the other highly-ranked high school guys are playing and how they are doing. I did today and most of the high school first rounders are still in extended spring training. The ones who are playing in full-season ball aren't doing any better than Riley or Herbert.

Acuna is a year younger than Herbert and Riley, which gives some perspective on his talent.

skillet
04-19-2016, 07:24 AM
I don't censor, I don't control. I just happen to believe that there are ways to make your point, or state your case, without stepping into the gutter. I might agree with you sometimes, and don't at other times. It would be nice if you indicated some knowledge about the people you criticize. In this case, I felt your post was particularly insensitive; I learned some time ago that players' family members read this stuff -- even if the players don't (or shouldn't).

If I had "stepped into the gutter", I would agree with your point. However, I would like to know what part of stating I didn't think he would amount to much at the major league level due to his career minor league stats is going into the gutter? The answer, it didn't. I said nothing negative whatsoever of the man nor his family, nor would I. I was strictly pointing out stats he so far has compiled. Further, I hope Folty proves me wrong and has an outstanding major league career. I'd be quite happy to be the first to admit I was wrong. However, that is my problem with your criticism. Had I not liked a post of yours, I would have never responded with the disrespect that you administered.

Tapate50
04-19-2016, 07:33 AM
I think with pitchers such as Folty, where stretches of dominance can occur, you kinda marginalize the numbers and wait for "it" to click. Most people that have watched him believe that there is another level for him.

Just my .02.

clvclv
04-19-2016, 07:44 AM
If I had "stepped into the gutter", I would agree with your point. However, I would like to know what part of stating I didn't think he would amount to much at the major league level due to his career minor league stats is going into the gutter? The answer, it didn't. I said nothing negative whatsoever of the man nor his family, nor would I. I was strictly pointing out stats he so far has compiled. Further, I hope Folty proves me wrong and has an outstanding major league career. I'd be quite happy to be the first to admit I was wrong. However, that is my problem with your criticism. Had I not liked a post of yours, I would have never responded with the disrespect that you administered.

JMO, but I think rico's more fed up with the general tone the board has taken in recent months. What we all know...

1.) We're rebuilding.
2.) Many folks here aren't happy with that - some of them take every opportunity to voice that opinion and aren't willing to let things play out.

The unfortunate fact is that prospects take time to develop, and some folks aren't willing to wait. Those folks tend to go out of the way to criticize everything because they're impatient - spoiled by an unparalleled run of success by a professional franchise. EVERYONE'S frustrated and wants things to move faster - we all understand - some folks just say "things aren't working" without adding "fast enough for me".

nsacpi
04-19-2016, 07:52 AM
JMO, but I think rico's more fed up with the general tone the board has taken in recent months. What we all know...

1.) We're rebuilding.
2.) Many folks here aren't happy with that - some of them take every opportunity to voice that opinion and aren't willing to let things play out.

The unfortunate fact is that prospects take time to develop, and some folks aren't willing to wait. Those folks tend to go out of the way to criticize everything because they're impatient - spoiled by an unparalleled run of success by a professional franchise. EVERYONE'S frustrated and wants things to move faster - we all understand - some folks just say "things aren't working" without adding "fast enough for me".

There is also a group that overreacts to every little hot streak a prospect has. I find both annoying. But that's part of life at a discussion board.

There is a tendency among some to look at the rebuild as almost guaranteeing a perpetual 90+ win team beyond a certain date. The FO certainly makes statements from time to time implying that they are on track for this. But spinning is part of their job. And I suppose some have bought into the spin or to give them more credit independently reached that conclusion.

striker42
04-19-2016, 07:58 AM
Swanson needs to be in Mississippi. I understand wanting to get a look at both of them at short but you're doing Swanson any favors by not challenging him. What we need to do is move Swanson to Mississippi now. Then you let him and Albies alternate between short and second. Let each get some time there, let them get familiar with each other, and see which alignment is more comfortable for the both of them. You then should have these guys ready for a cup of coffee this year and to step in as legitimate starters next year.

Swanson, Albies, and Inciarte is a STRONG group up the middle.

skillet
04-19-2016, 07:58 AM
I actually am a fan of the rebuild and think it was overdue. Except for a couple of questionable moves, with the Olivera trade front and center, I think this FO has done an excellent job. I'm also not impatient. I've been a diehard Braves fan since 1966 and have lived through many laughing stock years. I'm excited about our future and very much look forward to the coming years.

skillet
04-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Swanson needs to be in Mississippi. I understand wanting to get a look at both of them at short but you're doing Swanson any favors by not challenging him. What we need to do is move Swanson to Mississippi now. Then you let him and Albies alternate between short and second. Let each get some time there, let them get familiar with each other, and see which alignment is more comfortable for the both of them. You then should have these guys ready for a cup of coffee this year and to step in as legitimate starters next year.

Swanson, Albies, and Inciarte is a STRONG group up the middle.

Completely agree.

JxnMissFan
04-19-2016, 08:56 AM

The unfortunate fact is that prospects take time to develop, and some folks aren't willing to wait. Those folks tend to go out of the way to criticize everything because they're impatient .

What I find irritating is how the people jump on and off a prospects bandwagon based on a few weeks of box scores and baseball card stats. The minor leagues are about instruction not stats. Minor league players especially pitchers are going to be working on different things during a game that may effect their performance negatively. Honestly I don't think anyone can speak in absolutes about a prospect unless they have seen the prospect play in person and not just video clips.

Rio Ruiz is a good example of people jumping on and off the bandwagon. Last year most everyone was down on him. If you looked at his stats they were bad for the most part. I watched him play many times in Mississippi last year and he flashed the ability to be the player he has been so far this year. No surprise he has started the year strong. I am surprised he has started strong in AAA. My guess was he would be in AA this year.

50PoundHead
04-19-2016, 09:08 AM
What I find irritating is how the people jump on and off a prospects bandwagon based on a few weeks of box scores and baseball card stats. The minor leagues are about instruction not stats. Minor league players especially pitchers are going to be working on different things during a game that may effect their performance negatively. Honestly I don't think anyone can speak in absolutes about a prospect unless they have seen the prospect play in person and not just video clips.

Rio Ruiz is a good example of people jumping on and off the bandwagon. Last year most everyone was down on him. If you looked at his stats they were bad for the most part. I watched him play many times in Mississippi last year and he flashed the ability to be the player he has been so far this year. No surprise he has started the year strong. I am surprised he has started strong in AAA. My guess was he would be in AA this year.

It's all about adjustments and mastery at the minor league level and a lot of fans simply look at what you've labelled "baseball card stats" and make their judgments solely on that. Every player has a development arc and you hope that the arc for the most highly-touted ones lands at the major league level. But that's not always the case. Some guys are pretty much finished products when they are drafted and hit a wall fairly soon in their careers. Others have some room between where they are currently at in terms of physical development and skill application and their ultimate ceiling. Not all reach their ceilings. Injuries, the psychological grind of playing a game predicated on failure (at least for hitters), cultural adjustments, and other factors can derail a young player.

I've been a Braves' fan since the late-1950s, so I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, so it's easy for me to sit back and say "be patient." Believe me, I was impatient in the 1970s when the Braves were trotting out horrible team after horrible team and making ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision so I can empathize. But as someone who has watched a lot of very bad Braves' baseball, I can only say this is a great time to learn about the player development process (which I dedicated myself to when the big league team totally stunk) and hold out hope for guys and try to discern why some succeed and some fail.

Julio3000
04-19-2016, 09:53 AM
There is also a group that overreacts to every little hot streak a prospect has. I find both annoying. But that's part of life at a discussion board.

There is a tendency among some to look at the rebuild as almost guaranteeing a perpetual 90+ win team beyond a certain date. The FO certainly makes statements from time to time implying that they are on track for this. But spinning is part of their job. And I suppose some have bought into the spin or to give them more credit independently reached that conclusion.

100% agree.

I also agree with striker that we shouldn't have a particular attachment to both of the kids playing short full-time. I wouldn't mind at all seeing them alternate between short and second.

I don't think either one of them is going to be bothered by this, in terms of development. It may even provide a positive challenge.

I watched the Sox low-A club do this for most of the year last year. They had 3 strong middle-IF guys (Moncada, Javier Guerra, and Mauricio Dubon) who rotated between short, second, and DH, and it seemed to work well. Barring a trade, they are going to be playing together at the keystone eventually, so why not start that dynamic earlier?

Enscheff
04-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Swanson had about 100 professional PAs at the professional level so far before this season. He now has 150 PAs. For comparison, Alex Bregman, who was drafted immediately after Swanson, got over 300 professional PAs last year before jumping to AA this year.

I would expect to see Swason get another ~100 PAs in A ball and then be moved to AA. Look for a promotion sometime next month. By then the organization will know who they want at SS, and one of Albies/Swanson will be there nearly full time. If they are truly going to be the middle infield duo for the next decade, it would be a waste to have them flip flopping positions when they play together.

nsacpi
04-19-2016, 11:10 AM
I think there is a chance that Swanson will go to AAA when he gets promoted. That way he and Albies can continue to play short full-time.

Enscheff
04-19-2016, 11:24 AM
I think there is a chance that Swanson will go to AAA when he gets promoted. That way he and Albies can continue to play short full-time.

I can't remember the last time a prospect has skipped AA and gone to AAA.

JxnMissFan
04-19-2016, 11:31 AM

I think if Albies and Swanson are not on the same team at some point this year then one of them will be traded. The only reason not to make the decision on which one is at short and which one is 2nd is trade value.

nsacpi
04-19-2016, 11:35 AM
I can't remember the last time a prospect has skipped AA and gone to AAA.

Matt Marksberry went from Carolina to Gwinnett last year.

50PoundHead
04-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Matt Marksberry went from Carolina to Gwinnett last year.

Speaking of Marksberry, he's off to a pretty good start in Mississippi and I wouldn't be surprised if he's back with the big club at some point in 2016. No urgency right now, but his numbers against LHH continue to be dominant at the minor league level.

clvclv
04-19-2016, 01:46 PM
I continue to struggle to understand the treatment of Marksberry. We've been in desperate need of lefties in the pen for two years, and he's even flashed his dominance against left-handed hitters at the MLB level.

I understand that they'd love to have him eventually develop into one of those guys that can get hitters on both sides of the plate out, but he's done little to make it look like he's going to be one of those. I'd personally stop kicking around scrap heap guys and use him as my LOOGY - but that's obviously just me.

rico43
04-19-2016, 02:09 PM
You can only reply to one post at a time, so one lucky poster got my general disgust that was truly directed at more than one poster here. If I reply to you, it means (in part) that I respect your opinions and point and view generally, and might have issue with one thing in particular. The trolls and morons I have simply placed on Ignore.