Swanson 2-4, 2B, HR (1st), 3 RBI
Curcio 1-5, 2B, R
Davidson 0-3, 2 BB, K (.175)

CLASS A

Rome 14, Asheville 1

WP: Sanchez (1-1) 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, WP
Belicek 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
Jones 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Morales 2-4, 2 R, HR (1st, slam), 5 RBI, SF (.352)
Acuna 1-3, 3 R, HR (1st), 2 RBI
Riley 2-5, HR (2nd), RBI, 2 K
Salazar 2-4, 3 R, 2 RBI
Herbert 1-4, R, 2 RBI

bravesfanMatt
04-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Hopefully Riley has gotten his head out of his ass.. he is 2-2 with a single and a bomb.. Rome up 2 -0 early..

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Hopefully Riley has gotten his head out of his ass.. he is 2-2 with a single and a bomb.. Rome up 2 -0 early..

I think it was a good move putting Morales clean-up behind him. Good to see Sanchez have a good game too.

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Brandon Barker having another good game for Mississippi so far through 3 innings. 4 K's and no runs allowed so far.

bravesfanMatt
04-21-2016, 07:50 PM
I think it was a good move putting Morales clean-up behind him. Good to see Sanchez have a good game too.

good point..

CJ9
04-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Acuna opposite field two-run homer.

nsacpi
04-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Acuna opposite field two-run homer.our best position prospect after Albies

msstate7
04-21-2016, 08:17 PM
our best position prospect after Albies

So you think Albies is the future SS?

bravesfanMatt
04-21-2016, 08:25 PM
not sure.. but Swanson just hit an inside the parker for 3 RBIs.. giving Carolina a 5-3 lead late..

Bases juiced for Riley 1 out.. Rome way out in front 10 to 1...I will update..

Riley lines out to 2B.. 2 out and Moralse just hit a Grand Slam.. Rome blowing it out now..

nsacpi
04-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Yeah. He might be the best prospect in all of baseball.

bravesfanMatt
04-21-2016, 08:34 PM

right on cue.. Ozzie singles in a run to give Miss. a 1-0 lead..

msstate7
04-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Ruiz 2-3... Now hitting .385

CJ9
04-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Jonathan Morales' first homer of the season is a grand slam. Without as many premium arms on the mound as usual tonight, the bats are certainly making noise tonight.

bravesfanMatt
04-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Jonathan Morales' first homer of the season is a grand slam. Without as many premium arms on the mound as usual tonight, the bats are certainly making noise tonight.

yes, and they are the high profile bats at that.. However, the pitching has been lights out tonight..go figure.

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 08:38 PM
Can you imagine how great defensively we could've been with Albies at second, Simmons at short and Swanson at third along with Inciarte in the OF? Just a thought.

UNCBlue012
04-21-2016, 08:42 PM
Jeez. This system man. We say it almost every night, but wow.

I'm excited about Acuna. I didn't know a lot a couple months ago, but I sure as heck do now.

And Swanson, he's a boss.

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 08:43 PM

Morales is one of my favorites in Rome, I like him a lot.

msstate7
04-21-2016, 08:43 PM
Where are the holes in our farm? 1b? Catcher? Corner OF?

dak
04-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Dansby inside the park 3-run HR. Position prospects just going nuts tonight.

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Brandon Barker, Georgia boy, is through six tonight with 5 K's and no runs allowed. He's been solid for Mississippi too so far this season.

msstate7
04-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Brandon Barker, Georgia boy, is through six tonight with 5 K's and no runs allowed. He's been solid for Mississippi too so far this season.

Is he thought of a future mlb guy?

CJ9
04-21-2016, 08:50 PM

I think that's about it. And 1B obviously isn't a huge concern for the next 5 or so years.

UNCBlue012
04-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Sanchez had a really good game too! 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 09:00 PM

He's been more under-the-radar so far, nothing flashy numbers wise but just steady and moving on up and continuing to have success along the way. Barker has had a more consistent change-up than in the past and has added like 5 mph on his fastball since being drafted so that's helped. If he keeps pitching like he has tonight he'll get some attention soon.

jpx7
04-21-2016, 09:01 PM
I think that's about it. And 1B obviously isn't a huge concern for the next 5 or so years.

On the other hand, I think corner OF is—for the time being—a pretty huge concern.

bravesfanMatt
04-21-2016, 09:01 PM

Catcher could be Herbert and Moralse..

Corner outfield could be Acuna or Bradley Keller..

I think we might have some holes at pitching though!?!

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Astudillo is 1-3 tonight with no walks or K's as usual, hitting .302 this season so far. Homie might not K till the cows come home unless they decide to come home soon, then maybe never. :)

bravesfanMatt
04-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Astudillo is 1-3 tonight with no walks or K's as usual, hitting .302 this season so far. Homie might not K till the cows come home unless they decide to come home soon, then maybe never. :)

won't say he is our catcher of our future.. but he did throw behind a guy and picked him off at first tonight too... no stolen base attempts.

Braves1976
04-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Morales sure liked batting clean-up, they put him clean-up and boom 5 RBI's including a grand slam. That's what I call taking to batting clean-up in style!

smootness
04-21-2016, 09:34 PM

Uh...

I mean, I like Albies, but man.

smootness
04-21-2016, 09:36 PM

I would say catcher and corner OF, though we have some potentially intriguing prospects at both spots. I think we're ok at 1B because we can always shift a guy over. What we lack overall in the system is power, so 1B and corner OF are always going to look weak if that's the case.

Hudson2
04-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Lewis could go a long way to bring power and filling a need in the outfield.

KB21
04-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Lewis could go a long way to bring power and filling a need in the outfield.

I agree. He is a guy that could be ready to make the jump to replace Nick Markakis when his contract is up.

yeezus
04-22-2016, 06:44 AM
our best position prospect after Albies

Better than Swanson?

Russ2dollas
04-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Catcher could be Herbert and Moralse..

Corner outfield could be Acuna or Bradley Keller..

I think we might have some holes at pitching though!?!

No love for Peterson? I think he has a shot to be a good corner OF. Nothing suggests 3+ WAR seasons though...

nsacpi
04-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Can you imagine how great defensively we could've been with Albies at second, Simmons at short and Swanson at third along with Inciarte in the OF? Just a thought.

And Heyward in right.

It is likely that that kind of defense would make a staff of league average starters look like a staff of aces.

nsacpi
04-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Better than Swanson?

Three year age difference and one year difference in level of play. The Braves are the ones who decided which one should go to AA and which one should go to High A.

Albies in AA: .357/.419/.464 Youngest player in league by a wide margin.

Swanson in High A: .333/.406/.474

I like Swanson, but I don't think there is much doubt which one is the better prospect.

msstate7
04-22-2016, 06:55 AM
And Heyward in right.

It is likely that that kind of defense would make a staff of league average starters look like a staff of aces.

We've been blessed with the best defender in rf, SS, and cf over the years. Do we have any elite defenders on the farm now?

msstate7
04-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Three year age difference and one year difference in level of play. The Braves are the ones who decided which one should go to AA and which one should go to High A.

I like Swanson, but I don't think there is much doubt which one is the better prospect.

Could it be that albies has many more professional ab's than Swanson?

bravesfanMatt
04-22-2016, 06:57 AM
And Heyward in right.

we wouldn't have Swanson if we still had Heywood.. I think that is why he left him out.

nsacpi
04-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Could it be that albies has many more professional ab's than Swanson?

Swanson played for a very good college program in a very competitive college league. It is not quite as good for a player's development as being in the pros but it is not far behind. But Albies is three years younger. Think about that. This is not a knock on Swanson.

nsacpi
04-22-2016, 07:02 AM
we wouldn't have Swanson if we still had Heywood.. I think that is why he left him out.

Then Castro/Peterson at second. That's as good defensively.

yeezus
04-22-2016, 07:29 AM

Oh, I meant Acuna vs Swanson.
I agree on Albies > Swanson.

KB21
04-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Rio Ruiz is showing very good defense at 3B and his bat has really popped so far this year. I think Ruiz could be in play to be the 3B in 2017. I don't think he gets brought up this year unless it is late just to get a few at bats. I think they leave him in AAA for the whole year.

The reinforcements are on the way. Rio at 3B along with Ozzie and Dansby at SS/2B in some order. That's three above average defensive players who can hit.

nsacpi
04-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Oh, I meant Acuna vs Swanson.
I agree on Albies > Swanson.

oh ok. Acuna vs Swanson is very speculative on my part.

yeezus
04-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Rio Ruiz is showing very good defense at 3B and his bat has really popped so far this year. I think Ruiz could be in play to be the 3B in 2017. I don't think he gets brought up this year unless it is late just to get a few at bats. I think they leave him in AAA for the whole year.

The reinforcements are on the way. Rio at 3B along with Ozzie and Dansby at SS/2B in some order. That's three above average defensive players who can hit.

I could actually see Ruiz being brought up if he continues to easily handle AAA. However, I think the FO will be looking for his K rate to come down a good bit moving forward.

smootness
04-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Considering essentially every prospect-ranking service has Swanson ahead of Albies, I think there is some doubt.

I don't really care who people have ahead of the other or which one ultimately is better because they're both going to be really good and that's awesome for the Braves. But to say Albies is the best prospect in baseball, to me, is a bit of an overstatement, and it just comes down to ultimate ceiling.

Albies has about as high a floor for a 19-year-old kid as I've ever seen...but I don't think his ceiling is as high as some other prospects, including possibly Swanson. If everything goes right, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, and really good baserunning. That is a great baseball player. But I think if everything goes right for Swanson, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, really good baserunning...and some power. That's the only real difference I see, and it may not ultimately matter.

50PoundHead
04-22-2016, 08:37 AM

If Garcia continues to do his stellar Pele imitation at 3B and Ruiz continues to hit in Gwinnett, I can envision a scenario where Ruiz would be here sooner as opposed to later.

nsacpi
04-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Considering essentially every prospect-ranking service has Swanson ahead of Albies, I think there is some doubt.

I don't really care who people have ahead of the other or which one ultimately is better because they're both going to be really good and that's awesome for the Braves. But to say Albies is the best prospect in baseball, to me, is a bit of an overstatement, and it just comes down to ultimate ceiling.

Albies has about as high a floor for a 19-year-old kid as I've ever seen...but I don't think his ceiling is as high as some other prospects, including possibly Swanson. If everything goes right, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, and really good baserunning. That is a great baseball player. But I think if everything goes right for Swanson, he's going to hit .320+ with a good OBP, really good defense, really good baserunning...and some power. That's the only real difference I see, and it may not ultimately matter.

I strongly suspect that the Braves intended for Swanson to be ahead of Albies before spring training. They got a good look at the two side by side, in games and practices, every day in February and March and made a decision to send Albies to AA and Swanson to High A.

We should consider for a minute how accelerated Albies is. He skipped the DSL, sailed though the GCL and Apply League at 17, skipped High A and is killing it in AA at 19. Andruw is the only prospect I can think of who has followed a similar path, and even he started his age 19 year in High A. Of course, Andruw finished that season playing in the World Series, which won't happen with Albies.

50PoundHead
04-22-2016, 08:58 AM

I think of guys like Williams Perez when I try to project Barker. Although their stat profiles are different, they are both guys who have flown below the radar but performed well as they moved up the minor league line. This is only Barker's third professional season, so he's really put it in gear, even for a mid-round college draftee. Can't argue with what he's done thus far this season and he may move up to AAA as other guys are shuffled around provided he continues to perform well. GO/AO ratio is of some concern.

On Albies v. Swanson, aluminum may have something to do with the placement decision.

clvclv
04-22-2016, 12:43 PM

I do.

clvclv
04-22-2016, 12:51 PM
We've been blessed with the best defender in rf, SS, and cf over the years. Do we have any elite defenders on the farm now?

Whichever of Albies or Swanson winds up at 2B will certainly be elite when the decision is made. I asked J. J. Cooper when he was discussing BA's positional rankings if they'd have been #2 on the 2B list ahead of Peraza and he said yes and it really wouldn't even be that close.

Millwood1Hitter
04-22-2016, 01:04 PM
For those of you fools that are drooling over Albies, remember it wasn't too long ago Peraza was appointed the chosen one and was going to lead this team at the top of the order and at shortstop, and where is he now?

Best prospect in baseball? Really, some of you believe that? The guy has no power. Andruw Jones was a top propsect in the game, same can be said of Kris Bryant, or Bryce Harper, or Chipper Jones....but for someone that is a cross between Jesse Garcia and Elvis Andrus, that's not top prospect elite status. And that means nothing, at one time Wilson Betemit was one of the elite, and he was nothing more than a solid role player with a few good seasons at the MLB level. Marte was a top prospect in our system, and dumped a steaming pile of poo on the diamond once he hit the bigs.

smootness
04-22-2016, 01:20 PM
I strongly suspect that the Braves intended for Swanson to be ahead of Albies before spring training. They got a good look at the two side by side, in games and practices, every day in February and March and made a decision to send Albies to AA and Swanson to High A.

We should consider for a minute how accelerated Albies is. He skipped the DSL, sailed though the GCL and Apply League at 17, skipped High A and is killing it in AA at 19. Andruw is the only prospect I can think of who has followed a similar path, and even he started his age 19 year in High A. Of course, Andruw finished that season playing in the World Series, which won't happen with Albies.

I love Albies, I don't want this to come across as some kind of knock on him. I think he and Swanson both are fantastic prospects.

And what Albies is doing at such a young age is incredibly impressive. But there is still a ceiling for every play, and the lack of size and power will limit his to some degree. Again, this doesn't mean he can't be a great major league player, but it is something to consider. Andruw had it all, while Albies has most of it. I mean, some of this is splitting hairs and I feel stupid for even saying any of it. My point is simply that the fact that Albies is ahead of Swanson despite being 3 years younger is very impressive and a great sign for him...but doesn't necessarily mean he's definitely the better prospect with a higher ceiling.

I just think we're reading too much into the 'jumped Swanson' stuff. Sometimes decisions like that come down simply to each guy individually and what they're likely to take mentally from these decisions. We have no idea what went into it, but regardless, they're both likely going to be really good major leaguers.

Deester11
04-22-2016, 01:22 PM
For those of you fools that are drooling over Albies, remember it wasn't too long ago Peraza was appointed the chosen one and was going to lead this team at the top of the order and at shortstop, and where is he now?

Best prospect in baseball? Really, some of you believe that? The guy has no power. Andruw Jones was a top propsect in the game, same can be said of Kris Bryant, or Bryce Harper, or Chipper Jones....but for someone that is a cross between Jesse Garcia and Elvis Andrus, that's not top prospect elite status. And that means nothing, at one time Wilson Betemit was one of the elite, and he was nothing more than a solid role player with a few good seasons at the MLB level. Marte was a top prospect in our system, and dumped a steaming pile of poo on the diamond once he hit the bigs.
Why don't you just crap on our dreams sir?!!!

Prospects fail. Yes. Albies could but he looks really good and to skip levels and Dansby at his age deserves some hype. And yes. I'm a fool. I've followed him since his first AB in Rome and once at the Disney complex. I thought he was the water boy/bat boy. But alas,he's good!

smootness
04-22-2016, 01:23 PM

Cool, thanks. You've just listed the definition of 'prospect'.

And giant lulz on your Jesse Garcia comment. And Albies has a much better bat than Andrus ever showed. Even if he is Andrus, I'll take close to 20 WAR over Albies' first 4 seasons. Sure.

nsacpi
04-22-2016, 01:41 PM

I liked Peraza. But there are objective reasons to have a higher opinion of Albies. He excelled in Rome at 18, while Peraza did so a year older. Generally he is playing at a higher level taking age into account. Comparing the Rome numbers, Albies also has an edge in walk rate and ISO (even while being a year younger).

Peraza btw is doing very well as a washed up 22 year old in AAA. Well he hasn't quite turned 22 yet. But he is old. And washed up. And a bust already with three teams.

Braves1976
04-22-2016, 05:47 PM
And Heyward in right.

True, but we'd not have Inciarte nor Swanson if we still had Heyward since we traded Miller for them and Blair after trading Heyward in the deal for Miller. As much as I liked Heyward, I must say Inciarte, Swanson, Blair are worth losing him. However, I am afraid the Braves brass won't value Inciarte as they should. One reason Heyward wasn't locked up IMO is because the Braves don't value defense like that, and same goes for the Simmons trade too.