Custred 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Jones 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Belicek 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Riley 3-4 (.246)
Keller 1-4, 2B, RBI
Herbert 2-4, R

Hudson2
04-24-2016, 04:33 PM
We have a ton of pitching talent but dang they sure do walk alot of people.

UNCBlue012
04-24-2016, 04:35 PM
But seriously. We have command AND control issues all throughout the minors. The talent is stout though. Also, Ruiz is a baller.

nsacpi
04-24-2016, 04:41 PM
We have a ton of pitching talent but dang they sure do walk alot of people.

Yup. The walk rate is the main obstacle for Sims, Foltynevich and Newcomb at this point in their development.

Hudson2
04-24-2016, 05:04 PM
I'd add Touki in there to with control issues. He definitely has the stuff to make it if he can ever learn to control it.

nsacpi
04-24-2016, 05:11 PM
I'd add Touki in there to with control issues. He definitely has the stuff to make it if he can ever learn to control it.

Touki is different from the other three in that he is also not generating strikeouts and giving up almost two hits per inning. Plus he is quite a bit further from the majors. So while the walk rate is the remaining thing the other three have to work on, it is probably not the biggest issue for Touki at the moment.

Julio3000
04-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Newcomb really, really needs to stop walking guys and go ahead and be awesome, because we traded Tron Simmons for him.

nsacpi
04-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Newcomb really, really needs to stop walking guys and go ahead and be awesome, because we traded Tron Simmons for him.

We also got Aybar.

Julio3000
04-24-2016, 05:56 PM
We also got Aybar.

Yeah, I heard he's a .276 career hitter and might make us better this year.

clvclv
04-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I heard he's a .276 career hitter and might make us better this year.

He has. He's kept us from starting Ozzie or Dansby's clocks!!!

:happy0157::happy0157::happy0157:

atl717
04-24-2016, 10:08 PM
We could have done so much better for Simmons, I have to believe.

cajunrevenge
04-24-2016, 10:33 PM
I find myself regretting the Simmons trade no matter what Newcomb or Ellis do. Even when we lost it was worth watching just to see Andrelton's wizardry. Imagine the defense we could have had with Simmons at SS, Swanson at 3B, and Albies at 2B. Would probably shave half a run off our pitchers ERA.

Braves1976
04-24-2016, 11:01 PM
I find myself regretting the Simmons trade no matter what Newcomb or Ellis do. Even when we lost it was worth watching just to see Andrelton's wizardry. Imagine the defense we could have had with Simmons at SS, Swanson at 3B, and Albies at 2B. Would probably shave half a run off our pitchers ERA.

Yep, that is what I was saying a few days ago. It only makes it tougher to take knowing Newcomb is high risk and Ellis is expected to be a bullpen arm. But hey, Aybar is better offensively than Simmons so there's that, lol. Bowman tweeted today that even he didn't buy that nonsense.

Braves1976
04-24-2016, 11:09 PM
We could have done so much better for Simmons, I have to believe.

If we can get what we got for Miller then for the best shortstop defensively on the planet (and it's not even close, he's simply amazing), then yes fangraphs and others that panned the return as "surprisingly light" for Simmons are exactly right. We got a similar return for Simmons as we did Gattis and that's telling IMO.

cajunrevenge
04-24-2016, 11:24 PM
I dont have anything against the return. I think its a nice mix of upside and risk. Bold prediction time. Newcomb is our long term closer and Ellis becomes a quality #4/5 starter.

Braves1976
04-24-2016, 11:30 PM
I dont have anything against the return. I think its a nice mix of upside and risk. Bold prediction time. Newcomb is our long term closer and Ellis becomes a quality #4/5 starter.

If you expect Newcomb to become our closer and Ellis to end up a quality back-end starter, then it's hard to see how you'd not have anything against the return given how highly you rate Simmons. Keep in mind we got Viz plus bonus slots that were important for someone like La Stella. I doubt Newcomb becomes any better at closing than Viz is right now but either way he needs to turn into a top of the rotation arm to argue the return for Simmons worked out, though some might argue a solid number three would suffice. Regardless I'd hope none would argue that him becoming a bullpen arm would suffice.

The Chosen One
04-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Dang.

When we acquired Newcomb we envisioned him to be a premium starter... now we're settling for closer.

yeezus
04-25-2016, 07:01 AM
Dang.

When we acquired Newcomb we envisioned him to be a premium starter... now we're settling for closer.

Uh, well, ONE person is settling for a closer.
I'm fine with getting Newcomb for a SS who can't hit a lick, especially when we have two SS in the minors who will be better hitters. I absolutely miss watching him play defense, though, and watch the Angels to see him. But man is he frustrating to watch hit.

nsacpi
04-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Uh, well, ONE person is settling for a closer.
I'm fine with getting Newcomb for a SS who can't hit a lick, especially when we have two SS in the minors who will be better hitters. I absolutely miss watching him play defense, though, and watch the Angels to see him. But man is he frustrating to watch hit.

More or less frustrating than watching Heyward hit?

UNCBlue012
04-25-2016, 09:16 AM
The trade wasn't a great one in my opinion. I can deal with it, but I think we could of gotten more if we waited. That being said, Simba has been WORSE at the plate this year. I think he has one walk so far? lol but my God his defense continues to dazzle.

UNCBlue012
04-25-2016, 09:17 AM

WAY less for me.

KB21
04-25-2016, 10:46 AM
WAY less for me.

Watching Jason Heyward hit was frustrating to me because I knew he had so much more in him that what he has shown.

50PoundHead
04-25-2016, 10:49 AM

Simmons was always more frustrating for me to watch hit. Heyward has some tics to his swing, but his approach has always been good. Simmons looks to have no idea except to swing hard.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Simmons was always more frustrating for me to watch hit. Heyward has some tics to his swing, but his approach has always been good. Simmons looks to have no idea except to swing hard.

Simmons was far more frustrating. He obviously has a ton of hand eye coordination, he rarely struck out.. but his swing was sooo bad that he either rolled over weakly or popped it up on the infield. He has the potential to be a .300 hitter. And my complete lack of faith in Kevin (let me completely change your swing) Sucker, I think he will one day realize that potential.

yeezus
04-25-2016, 11:59 AM

yes, I believe he was asking me facetiously. because if you didn't know, unless you think Heyward is a superstar and a dynamic hitter, you obviously think he's a bum.

UNCBlue012
04-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Simmons was far more frustrating. He obviously has a ton of hand eye coordination, he rarely struck out.. but his swing was sooo bad that he either rolled over weakly or popped it up on the infield. He has the potential to be a .300 hitter. And my complete lack of faith in Kevin (let me completely change your swing) Sucker, I think he will one day realize that potential.

If Simmons becomes a .280-.300 hitter, I will cry. He would probably be a top 5 most valuable position player ever lol

chop2chip
04-25-2016, 12:12 PM
IMO, the biggest thing with Newcomb is the high strikeout rate, which is excellent. That at least shows that he's (1) staying around the plate enough and (2) his stuff is excellent. While his walks are high, they aren't any higher than some of the other big time arms. Some pitchers simply benefit from pitching in the big leagues where it's harder to lose focus in games, improved pitch framing (well, not with AJ, but you know what I mean), and better umpires.

Also keep in mind that with strikeout pitchers they are by definition not inducing as much contact early in the count, so they are going to have deeper counts with hitters. The last thing great pitchers learn is to maintain high strikeout rates while limiting pitch count and walks. Hopefully, Newk can learn that.