PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Super Duper Groups

zitothebrave
08-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Everyone has heard the Supergroup name thrown around, whether it's Cream, Velvet Revolver, Audio Slave, Emerson Palmer and Lake, Asia, etc.

To me though most of those bands were either fragments of lesser known bands, or in the case of VR and Audio Slave existing bands with new frontmen.

To me there are only 2 bands that 100% fit the Supergroup label of extremely well known musicians joining up and they made more than one album. So no one offs like Mad Season or Probot, or even Them Crooked Vultures.

Those 2 are the Highwaymen and Traveling Wilburys.

Highwaymen was Willie Nelson, Kris Kristopherson, Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings.

The Travelling Wilburys had a varying offering because of Roy Orbison passing but their solid 4 were Jeff Lynne (ELO for those who didn't know), Boby Dylan, Tom Petty, and George Harrison.

When I weigh the 2 I look at 2 things, first is how well they worked together and second is the quality of the songs.

I could very well be biased because of my general musical preference, but I prefer the TW in both of those regards.

I don't care to do I full indepth comparison of their albums, singles, etc. I've listened to them all before coming up with my opinion.

But I think my best case is their best known singles.Handle with Care vs Highwaymen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8s9dmuAKvU vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM\

Of course I recommend everyone check out all their work. It's totally worth it.

Runnin
08-18-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't disagree with these groups, both great. But The Highwayman came about mostly because of the great song Jimmy Webb wrote for them. That song gave them a new identity together, a whole new thematic direction that incredibly made them seem even greater than the sum of their parts. Amazing considering how successful they all were alone. And all because of a song about reincarnation in a supposedly Christian market.

nocalgirl10
08-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I grew up listening to the Traveling Wilburys. My dad was a huge Roy Orbison fan so their Volume 1 cd was a constant staple in his car on our morning drives to school. Handle With Care was a good one but I always really liked End of the Line. I definitely get some odd looks from friends who get in my car and hear Tweeter and the Monkey Man come on lol. I love them though. I'll have to give The Highwaymen a good listen. Johnny Cash is a one of my all time favorites.

zitothebrave
08-18-2013, 04:28 PM
All of them Rock for various reasons.

Sad that of those super groups 4 of the 9 have passed. And who knows how long Dylan, Kristoferson, and Nelson have they're all well over 70.

Tapate50
08-19-2013, 07:57 AM
The Eagles should probably be in the supergroup sub group.

jpx7
08-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Bob Dylan is an immortal.

Tapate50
08-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Not a Dylan fan.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Not a Dylan fan.

Literally worse than Hitler.

DjGrizz
08-20-2013, 07:51 AM

He just breathes in and out of a harmonica over and over. Does he actually think he can play it? Ugh

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
He just breathes in and out of a harmonica over and over. Does he actually think he can play it? Ugh

No one cares about your opinion.

DjGrizz
08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
No one cares about your opinion.

Did you lick that cheeto dust off your fingertips before typing that fatty?

jpx7
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Not a music fan.

Fixed.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Did you lick that cheeto dust off your fingertips before typing that fatty?

Doritos dust

DjGrizz
08-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Doritos dust

Fair enough

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 09:31 AM

The more I listen, the more I dislike Dylan. His voice is whiney, and has deteriorated faster than most artists. I have heard his concerts are terrible by more than one person. I have plenty on my ipod, but its gotten awful. I can't listen anymore. He made an album with The Band called "Before the Flood". It is hard to mess up anything that The Band did, but he accomplished the feat. That album isn't good. I like a select few, but for the most part it was a terrible purchase.

zitothebrave
08-22-2013, 05:44 PM
I have little doubt his concerts suck. I tihnk most folk artists concerts suck.

But Bobby Dylan is a legend, not because of his performances, but because of his lyrics. No poet was ever as great of a song writer as he was.

Tapate50
08-24-2013, 03:38 PM
I have little doubt his concerts suck. I tihnk most folk artists concerts suck.

But Bobby Dylan is a legend, not because of his performances, but because of his lyrics. No poet was ever as great of a song writer as he was.

Meh. Bob Dylan was NO Shell Silverstein.

Krgrecw
08-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Bob Dylan's overrated. A lot of blah stuff.

Poetry isn't songwriting. Bernie Taupin is a better 'poet' than Dylan ever was.

zitothebrave
08-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Calling Bob Dylan overrated is like calling sex overrated

Tapate50
08-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Calling Bob Dylan overrated is like calling sex overrated

Virgins are overrated. So what?

Besides , easily agreeing that an artists concerts are trash, probably means they don't belong in the upper echelon of musicians.

Bob Dylan might be the most overrated musician since..........

Julio3000
08-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Bob is a legend. A deity among musicians. That said, I've seen him a couple of times and my experience is that he's bad in concert. Good band, though.

Saying that his shows suck now isn't to say that it's always been so, and there's plenty of documentary evidence to the contrary.

DjGrizz
08-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Bob Dylan is trash

zitothebrave
08-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Bob Dylan is trash

Throw in a few adjectives and we'll be sure to get Keith Lockhart to take good care of you

jpx7
08-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Dylan in concert, old and gravely as he was.

Tapate50
08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Van Morrison?

Where does he land?

DjGrizz
08-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Throw in a few adjectives and we'll be sure to get Keith Lockhart to take good care of you

I don't mind if people like him, I just can't fathom it. He sounds so terrible in my opinion. And in all honesty are you impressed with his harmonica playing?

zitothebrave
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't mind if people like him, I just can't fathom it. He sounds so terrible in my opinion. And in all honesty are you impressed with his harmonica playing?

In the context of his songs? Yes. I don't think I've ever heard a better folk song than Blowing in the Wind. Dylan isn't technically perfect and he has a roadgrater of a voice but his songs possess a total simplistic brilliance and have deep song writing.

To date i've not heard any song better written than either Tangled Up in Blue or Like a Rolling Stone.

Julio3000
08-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Dylan in concert, old and gravely as he was.

I saw him twice within a relatively short period of time, so he might have been mailing it in for health or personal reasons on that particular tour. All of the arrangements were super-fast, and seemed to be designed that way so he could speed-mumble through them as fast as humanly possible.

That doesn't change the fact that he is an all-time great. Too many outstanding songs to list, spanning decades.

DjGrizz
08-26-2013, 11:34 PM
In the context of his songs? Yes. I don't think I've ever heard a better folk song than Blowing in the Wind. Dylan isn't technically perfect and he has a roadgrater of a voice but his songs possess a total simplistic brilliance and have deep song writing.

To date i've not heard any song better written than either Tangled Up in Blue or Like a Rolling Stone.

Song writing isn't my beef. I just hate his sound. I could see me enjoying some of his songs if someone else would sing it.

zitothebrave
08-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Song writing isn't my beef. I just hate his sound. I could see me enjoying some of his songs if someone else would sing it.

And you're entitled to your opinion. Just a vast majority of people in the business and fans would disagree with you.

jpx7
08-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I could see me enjoying some of his songs if someone else would sing it.

They often do.

jpx7
08-27-2013, 12:00 PM
I saw him twice within a relatively short period of time, so he might have been mailing it in for health or personal reasons on that particular tour. All of the arrangements were super-fast, and seemed to be designed that way so he could speed-mumble through them as fast as humanly possible.

That doesn't change the fact that he is an all-time great. Too many outstanding songs to list, spanning decades.

I saw him late-autumn 2005, I believe, in a nice venue downtown, the Auditorium Theatre. Certainly his older songs were very accelerated – Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, for instance, which is one of my absolute favorites, was virtually unrecognizable until about a minute into his performance of it – but I attributed this fact as much to (a) his being bored with performing his 1960s/1970s tracks in "standard studio style," having performed them thousands of times at this point, and (b) his lacking the vocal range he used to have and which his older tunes necessitated, than to any designed short-shrift on his part. Meanwhile, when he played a couple tracks from Love and Theft, the current state of his voice lent itself to much more straight-up interpretations of his studio work.

It also seems a bit rich to judge the career of a 72-year-old man based on his live-performances in the last ten or twenty years (and obviously you're not guilty of this, but others seem to be). I once watched Stephen Stills and David Crosby sweat and heave their way through a three-hour concert with Graham Nash (who's in relatively much better health), but I'm certainly not going to judge the career of Crosby, Stills, & Nash (or Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, for that matter) based on that data-point. Moreover: Dylan's copious live-albums and filmed performances from the 1960s and 1970s are testaments to his skills and merits as a performer (without even mentioning his compositional genius).

zitothebrave
08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Makes it all the more amazing that guys like the Boss can put on shows that are as amazing as they were 30+ years ago.

Some guys have whatever it is to be amazing performers their whole careers.

jpx7
08-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Now I get to be the one going against conventional wisdom: I don't much care for Bruce Springsteen's music. In fact, I don't care for it at all.

He seems like a cool enough dude, though, once you get past his musical output.

zitothebrave
08-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Now I get to be the one going against conventional wisdom: I don't much care for Bruce Springsteen's music. In fact, I don't care for it at all.

While I respect everyone's right to their own opinion. My urge is to stone you in front of the Stone Pony. The boss is awesome. I don't know if anyone captured life in the north east in the 70s as well as him.

Julio3000
08-27-2013, 12:39 PM

I was a long time coming around to Springsteen. I did come around, at least partially. I like Nebraskaa lot, and some of the more elemental acoustic stuff he's occasionally done more recently. He's written a few truly great pop songs, some of which I really like, and some which aren't my cup of tea. He ventures into self-parody (unintentionally) a little too often for my taste.

He's got a sense of humor about himself, if his (this time intentional) self-parody with Jimmy Fallon's Neil Young was any indication.

jpx7
08-27-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't know if anyone captured life in the north east in the 70s as well as him.

But we have to ask ourselves: Is that really something that needed to be captured?

More seriously: my father came of age during that decade, in the north-east (Boston suburbs and, for college, Vermont), and he's never noted feeling a great affinity for Springsteen, so I think you may mean "captured life in the greater New York City / New Jersey area in the 70s."

zitothebrave
08-27-2013, 09:10 PM
But we have to ask ourselves: Is that really something that needed to be captured?

More seriously: my father came of age during that decade, in the north-east (Boston suburbs and, for college, Vermont), and he's never noted feeling a great affinity for Springsteen, so I think you may mean "captured life in the greater New York City / New Jersey area in the 70s."

Does anyone care about the north east aside from New York Metro and Philly Metro? That's like talking about catching the california scene and saying Sacramento wasn't like that. No one has time for that ****. haha.

And I dare anyone to listen to Thunder Road or Born to Run and not fall in love with it. If you don't then you sir have no soul.

Julio3000
08-27-2013, 10:33 PM
I saw him late-autumn 2005, I believe, in a nice venue downtown, the Auditorium Theatre. Certainly his older songs were very accelerated – Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, for instance, which is one of my absolute favorites, was virtually unrecognizable until about a minute into his performance of it – but I attributed this fact as much to (a) his being bored with performing his 1960s/1970s tracks in "standard studio style," having performed them thousands of times at this point, and (b) his lacking the vocal range he used to have and which his older tunes necessitated, than to any designed short-shrift on his part. Meanwhile, when he played a couple tracks from Love and Theft, the current state of his voice lent itself to much more straight-up interpretations of his studio work.

It also seems a bit rich to judge the career of a 72-year-old man based on his live-performances in the last ten or twenty years (and obviously you're not guilty of this, but others seem to be). I once watched Stephen Stills and David Crosby sweat and heave their way through a three-hour concert with Graham Nash (who's in relatively much better health), but I'm certainly not going to judge the career of Crosby, Stills, & Nash (or Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, for that matter) based on that data-point. Moreover: Dylan's copious live-albums and filmed performances from the 1960s and 1970s are testaments to his skills and merits as a performer (without even mentioning his compositional genius).

"Stuck Inside of Mobile..." is one of my all-time favorites. By anyone.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, when I saw him he was touring on "Love and Theft" (which I think is terrific) and those excellent songs got the same treatment. Still, I'd recommend that album to anyone.

jpx7
08-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Does anyone care about the north east aside from New York Metro and Philly Metro? That's like talking about catching the california scene and saying Sacramento wasn't like that. No one has time for that ****. haha.

And I dare anyone to listen to Thunder Road or Born to Run and not fall in love with it. If you don't then you sir have no soul.

Boston Metro >>> New York Metro >>> Philly Metro

I'll get back to you on the soul issue.

zitothebrave
08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Boston Metro >>> New York Metro >>> Philly Metro

I'll get back to you on the soul issue.

Only people who think that are drunk irishmen!

Krgrecw
09-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Kings of Chaos. Hopefully they tour America next summer

CyYoung31
09-03-2013, 10:34 PM
The Wilburys are the best band of all time. They had no choice but to be. It's still hard for me to believe sometimes that Harrison, Dylan, and Orbison were in a band together. And, then you throw Petty and Lynne into the mix.

And Dylan is one of the best live acts of all-time. It's just that now he's hit or miss. And he was somewhat of a miss for me back in 2010, but it was still awesome to get to see him live. What I wouldn't give to have seen one of his late 60's or mid 70's shows in person.