PDA

View Full Version : 4/26 Minors ... Check out these starters' ERAs!

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 11:57 AM
CLASS AA

Mississippi 9, Biloxi 3

WP: Barker (2-0) 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K (0.78)
Kent 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Janas 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Cabrera 1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K, HBP

Camargo 2-3, 2B, R, RBI
Albies 3-5, 2B, HR (1st), 2 RBI (.351)
Schrader 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI,SF
Peterson 2-4, 2B, HR (3), 2 R, RBI
Astudillo 1-2, 2B, 2 R, RBI, BB, SF
Franco 1-1, 2 RBI (PH)

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 3, Toledo 1

WP: Jenkins (2-1) 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K
C. Kelly 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1ER, 2 BB, 0 K
Krol 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Peterson (Save, 3) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Brignac 2-3, RBI
Bonifacio 2-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI
Lalli 1-4, 2B, R

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 5, Wilmington 2

WP: Povse (2-1) 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 K
Parsons 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K
Johnson-Mullins (Save, 4) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Swanson 1-3, 2B, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB
Edgerton 2-4, HR (1st), 2 RBI, SB
Meneses 1-2, HR (1st), RBI
Davidson 1-4, 2B, 3 K

CLASS A

Rome 3, W. Virgina 0 (3rd, suspended)

Fried 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K

Morales 1-2, 2B, R, RBI
Riley 1-2, R

Fried (0-1 3.94 ERA)

=============

STARTING PITCHERS' ERA, 2016 (at least two starts )
(* promoted)

GWINNETT (team ERA 2.99): Blair 1.42*, Folty 2.05, Jenkins 2.40, Kelly 3.00, Gant 3.68.

MISSISSIPPI (team ERA 2.89): Barker 1.06, Ellis 1.16, Sims 1.84*, Newcomb 3.15, Whalen 4.05

CAROLINA (team ERA 4.05): Withrow 0.79, Povse 1.42, Lawlor 5.09

ROME (team ERA 4.60): Soroka 1.80, Weigel 3.27, Sanchez 3.86, Fried 3.94, toussaint 12.66(!).

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Ozzie is 2 - 3 w/ a homer (that is were a guy hits the ball and he runs to all four bases before the next batter hits) < just in case anyone forgot what that is!!

Barker has been good Through 5 innings.. 1h/1BB/4k no runs.. but has thrown 80 pitches (49 strikes)

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Barker done after 6.. threw 90 pitches.. but 6ip/0er/2H/1BB/4k..

really good outing.. Miss up 5-0 with the dreaded BP coming in..

**Barker is intriguing.. he doesn't have over powering stuff, but has done well each year. I wouldn't mind seeing him promoted to AAA sometime this year to see what he has up there. He might be a guy that can sweeten a trade deal in a year or so.

dak
04-26-2016, 12:38 PM
**Barker is intriguing.. he doesn't have over powering stuff, but has done well each year. I wouldn't mind seeing him promoted to AAA sometime this year to see what he has up there. He might be a guy that can sweeten a trade deal in a year or so.

Yeah, I'm guilty of overlooking Barker. Upside is probably limited, but gives us another depth piece to use or trade.

Looking at our depth from a 2017 perspective, I could see a breakdown like this. I think we should be open to trading from that middle group, primarily.

MLB Rotation (4): Teheran, Wisler, Blair, [Veteran Acquisition]

Competing for 5th Spot, MLB-ready depth (5): Sims, Gant, Folty, Banuelos, Jenkins

Start in Minors (5): Newcomb, Ellis, Whalen, Barker, Povse

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 12:39 PM
D Peterson with a big fly in the 8th.. now tied with the big club in Homers (3)!!

AND HELL JUST FROZE OVER!! Willians Astudillo just walked for the first time.. still no strikeouts..

Julio3000
04-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Astudillo is a marvel. I wish that they'd promote him, just to give us something interesting to watch.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I'm guilty of overlooking Barker. Upside is probably limited, but gives us another depth piece to use or trade.

Looking at our depth from a 2017 perspective, I could see a breakdown like this. I think we should be open to trading from that middle group, primarily.

Competing for 5th Spot, MLB-ready depth (5): Sims, Gant, Folty, Banuelos, Jenkins

I would prefer to trade JT.. but I have a feeling that will depend on Folty's development. If he comes around and we have a rotation starting kit of Folty/Wisler/Blair.. then I really like our chances to be better next year... just need to get key offensive pieces back in trades and draft..

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Astudillo is a marvel. I wish that they'd promote him, just to give us something interesting to watch.

I wonder about that little troll.. he keeps his average up.. he hasn't been putrid on defense.. he just doesn't walk or strike out.. I can't see that translating to MLB though..

Can't he elect FA this winter.. being a career minor leaguer..

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 12:50 PM
D Peterson with a big fly in the 8th.. now tied with the big club in Homers (3)!!

AND HELL JUST FROZE OVER!! Willians Astudillo just walked for the first time.. still no strikeouts..

btw.. I am really pulling for D. Peterson.. he just looks like a ball player and I think he can be good one.. he is only 21.. I tend to give up on guys too quickly..

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Ozzie got to bat in the bottom of the 8th.. and doubled in a run with another runner thrown out at home..

Ozzie is now 3-5 with Homer and 2rbis..

Miss all over 1st place Bilioxi 9-1 heading into the 9th...

The Chosen One
04-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Ozzie has more power than our major league club.

50PoundHead
04-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Peterson's K-rate has slid a bit this season, but like others have said, he's 21 and in AA. He doesn't need to go on the 40-man over the winter, so it's my guess he'll play the whole season in Mississippi. Nice to see him getting a few XBH. Those numbers were down for him last season (although the injury due to the bus crash has to be taken into account when looking at last year's performance).

Enscheff
04-26-2016, 01:20 PM

I would be very reluctant to trade either Sims or Folty. Sims has put up 31 Ks in 19 innings so far this year, and Folty is probably going to be a late inning reliever.

Enscheff
04-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Ozzie got to bat in the bottom of the 8th.. and doubled in a run with another runner thrown out at home..

Ozzie is now 3-5 with Homer and 2rbis..

Miss all over 1st place Bilioxi 9-1 heading into the 9th...

So what happens to the prospects lists if Albies puts up an .850 OPS with 25 SBs from the SS position as a 19 year old in AA?

Most people consider the jump from A+ to AA to be the hardest transition in minor league baseball, but Albies skipped A+ entirely and went directly from A- to AA.

50PoundHead
04-26-2016, 01:31 PM
So what happens to the prospects lists if Albies puts up an .850 OPS with 25 SBs from the SS position as a 19 year old in AA?

Most people consider the jump from A+ to AA to be the hardest transition in minor league baseball, but Albies skipped A+ entirely and went from A- to AA. It doesn't seem to have even slowed him down a bit.

He probably lands in the top ten. Curious to see (1) if he fills out a bit more and (2) if his power numbers increase appreciably if he does get bigger. Only thing lacking from his game now is consistent power and given his size, that may never develop. Everything else seems to be there for him.

SJ24
04-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Am I crazy for thinking Ozzie could be Jose Altuve? I would be ecstatic with that, obviously.

yeezus
04-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Considering Ozzie is only 19, it's reasonable to think he may grow more.
He's a beast tho.

50PoundHead
04-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Am I crazy for thinking Ozzie could be Jose Altuve? I would be ecstatic with that, obviously.

I have heard that comp before. Like you, I'd be ecstatic with that result.

Hudson2
04-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Ozzie is a stud. With him and Swanson up the middle we are set got a long time. If we could get a stud 3b our infield would badass.

The Chosen One
04-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Ozzie is a stud. With him and Swanson up the middle we are set got a long time. If we could get a stud 3b our infield would badass.

If only we hadn't donated Simmons.

We could have moved Dansby to 3rd and had the all Curacao DP combo.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Considering Ozzie is only 19, it's reasonable to think he may grow more.
He's a beast tho.

I am not sure Ozzie will get much bigger.. I am fine with a gap power/speedy guy that plays good defense and has a good arm... hopefully with Swanson we will have two.. Swanson should have a little more power with less speed. But both will be in top 10 on the MLB 100 mid season update..

smootness
04-26-2016, 01:53 PM
If only we hadn't donated Simmons.

We could have moved Dansby to 3rd and had the all Curacao DP combo.

Having Swanson and Albies makes it less impactful to also have Simmons, not more.

The value of all 3 is maximized up the middle. And with the general lack of power we have, we need more pop in the infield. Having Swanson over Simmons and then a 3B (Ruiz if he keeps hitting, or a FA) should increase our ability to hit as well.

Preacher
04-26-2016, 01:58 PM
I haven't watched a ton streaming, but anybody have any insight into why Albies isn't stealing much? Only 2 swipes on the year and he's been caught 3 times.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Having Swanson and Albies makes it less impactful to also have Simmons, not more.

The value of all 3 is maximized up the middle. And with the general lack of power we have, we need more pop in the infield. Having Swanson over Simmons and then a 3B (Ruiz if he keeps hitting, or a FA) should increase our ability to hit as well.

I agree.. SS and 2B are the premium on the infield.. not only are they up the middle, they are your cut off men.. Now neither of Swanson nor Ozzie have Simmon's gun.. but hopefully they both hit better and off set that.. What the Braves need at 3B is a power bat that is serviceable to good defender. Then FF to come back around and our infield will be top of the class good.-- **edit.. a catcher would be nice too..

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 02:05 PM
I haven't watched a ton streaming, but anybody have any insight into why Albies isn't stealing much? Only 2 swipes on the year and he's been caught 3 times.

#BravesWay..

no, I think Ozzie just picks his spots to steal.. he is facing better competition, so give him some time.. by May 1st last year, I think he only had 5 or 6 steals and 4 CS..

UNCBlue012
04-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Albies is pretty incredible. We haven't had a hitter as pure as he is in a while. Jason was pretty awesome coming up, but I had issues with his mechanics, I see nothing to pick at with Albies outside of power - which he could be a 5-10 HR guy with his contact as is.

Preacher
04-26-2016, 02:30 PM
#BravesWay..

no, I think Ozzie just picks his spots to steal.. he is facing better competition, so give him some time.. by May 1st last year, I think he only had 5 or 6 steals and 4 CS..

True, its so nitpicky to look at stolen base numbers for a 19 year old that is terrorizing pitchers in AA. He's been incredible so far.

Preacher
04-26-2016, 02:31 PM
double post

clvclv
04-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Ozzie has more power than our major league club.

Now, now...Frenchy and Stubbs have "big-time power" - the opposing Pitchers just have to have exceptional enough control to hit their bats!!!

sturg33
04-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Albies is pretty incredible. We haven't had a hitter as pure as he is in a while. Jason was pretty awesome coming up, but I had issues with his mechanics, I see nothing to pick at with Albies outside of power - which he could be a 5-10 HR guy with his contact as is.

Interesting... so you were watching Heyward's games in the minors and had issues with his mechanics?

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Rio was named to MLB pipeline's team of the week after hitting .480 in 7 games..

clvclv
04-26-2016, 03:07 PM
I would be very reluctant to trade either Sims or Folty. Sims has put up 31 Ks in 19 innings so far this year, and Folty is probably going to be a late inning reliever.

Still daydream about how amazing the pen could be if Julio, Newcomb, Blair, Wisler, and whomever weren't traded out of the Gant/Jenkins/Ellis/Barker/Povse crowd (or a vet) could fill out a rotation until you could add one or two of Fried/Allard/Soroka and you had a pen consisting of...

Viz
Simmons
Sims
Folty
Paco
Withrow
Banuelos (if he could stay healthy enough to even become a pen piece)

If we'd ever start transitioning some of these high-end arms instead of grooming them to be traded, you're looking at seriously dominant staffs from 1-12.

Hudson2
04-26-2016, 03:25 PM
I'd rather trade Sims as a starter then put him in the bullpen. He's a starter imo.

Julio3000
04-26-2016, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Albies SB numbers at this point. Remember, he skipped a level, and he was one of the three youngest guys at low-a last year. Like the previous poster sad, he's adjusting to a higher level of competition, and he's crazy young for the level where he is playing--and thriving.

I think it's more pertinent to note that he's hitting the **** out of that higher level of competition.

He may not end up being a huge SB guy, but I wouldn't put it past him. He's a hell of a ballplayer.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 03:59 PM
I have no earthly idea where to put this.. but I was reading an article about minor leagues and got sucked into one of the side videos..

I forgot what the article was about even.. but this is my new future ex wife..

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/4/20/11465784/kiss-cam-pizza-woman-video-vine-hawks

50PoundHead
04-26-2016, 04:28 PM
I have no earthly idea where to put this.. but I was reading an article about minor leagues and got sucked into one of the side videos..

I forgot what the article was about even.. but this is my new future ex wife..

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/4/20/11465784/kiss-cam-pizza-woman-video-vine-hawks

We used to call that Viking Style!

NYCBrave
04-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Well you have to realize that when Altuve was 19, he was playing in short season ball (He hit 3 homers that year). He didn't reach AA until he was 21. His age 20 season playing between lo-A and hi-A, he hit 15 home runs, then had 10 the following year as a 21 year old splitting between hi-A and AA.

Will be interesting to see if the power does develop for Albies like it has for Altuve (who already has 5 HR this year!!).

CJ9
04-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Dansby RBI double in the first inning.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Povse is at it again..

47 pitches.. 35 strikes through 4 innings.. 2h/1ER/0BB/4K..

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 07:11 PM
T. Jenkins trying to get noticed.. if he could throw more strikes he might make some noise..

6 innings complete.. 5H/2BB/3K ZERO Runs!!! 1.71 ERA.. most likely done 97 pitches with only 55 strikes..

chop2chip
04-26-2016, 07:17 PM
T. Jenkins trying to get noticed.. if he could throw more strikes he might make some noise..

6 innings complete.. 5H/2BB/3K ZERO Runs!!! 1.71 ERA.. most likely done 97 pitches with only 55 strikes..
Hes generating a ton of ground balls, so if he can limit the walks then I think he's a rotation piece. The strike out numbers don't blow you away, but they are slightly higher, and his stuff still outpaces his results which leads me to believe there is some room to grow there.

dak
04-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Povse is at it again..

47 pitches.. 35 strikes through 4 innings.. 2h/1ER/0BB/4K..

Povse needs to find his way to Mississippi pretty soon. He's through 6 IP on 64 pitches. 3H, 0 BB, 0R. His WHIP somewhere around 0.6 at the moment.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Povse needs to find his way to Mississippi pretty soon. He's through 6 IP on 64 pitches. 3H, 0 BB, 0R. His WHIP somewhere around 0.6 at the moment.

he is quickly becoming one of my favorites to follow.. very Maddux like efficiency. I don't care if he Ks 10 guys.. I just love the low pitch count he continuously has..

Preacher
04-26-2016, 07:36 PM

Watched a lot of his game tonight - the command wanders a little bit, and he doesn't seem to throw his fastball by many people; but he threw some really good curveballs for strikes and certainly limited hard contact. Pitched out of trouble in the 6th, seemed to stay composed.

Rio Ruiz drove a ball oppo to the warning track on his 3rd AB, didn't miss the home run by very much.

50PoundHead
04-26-2016, 07:58 PM

Was just going to post that. He can't be long for Carolina. He's been dominant except for the game last week when he had a touch of the flu.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Was just going to post that. He can't be long for Carolina. He's been dominant except for the game last week when he had a touch of the flu.

I wouldn't call that last start bad either.. just didn't go as deep.. I think he only gave up one or two runs IIRC

Braves1976
04-26-2016, 08:17 PM
Watched a lot of his game tonight - the command wanders a little bit, and he doesn't seem to throw his fastball by many people; but he threw some really good curveballs for strikes and certainly limited hard contact. Pitched out of trouble in the 6th, seemed to stay composed.

I like Jenkins but he looks like a solid bullpen arm in the future rather than a starter in MLB, IMO.