PDA

View Full Version : ALBIES AND SWANSON!!!!!!

bravescountry
04-30-2016, 07:53 AM
Albies and Swanson has been promoted and reported by Mark Bowman:
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/726383049823252480

I like that they have been promoted, but I hope they stay there for bit (especially Albies).. I don't want them to be rushed

The Chosen One
04-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Lol the 7 exclamation marks made me thinking upstairs said f it and went ahead and called them up.

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 07:57 AM
I hope they spend the yr in minors. Maybe come up for roster expansion if that does not impact control

pfiggy
04-30-2016, 08:09 AM
Lol the 7 exclamation marks made me thinking upstairs said f it and went ahead and called them up.

6 sir, he wasn't quite that excited.

Runnin
04-30-2016, 08:52 AM
This is better than firing Fredi, which would by itself do nothing.

UNCBlue012
04-30-2016, 08:55 AM
Holy crap. This is really fast. I thought they'd take their time. Albies does nothing but hit, so I get it.

yeezus
04-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Bowman mentioned the FO wanting them both up in the 2nd half of the year.

bravesfanMatt
04-30-2016, 10:34 AM

good god, please no.. we =don't need to win a bunch of meaningless games to drop to the #3 pick again. Johns.. please just embrace the suckiness and the true fans will stay with you.. the casual fan will come back...trust me..

chop2chip
04-30-2016, 10:41 AM
So unnecessary

cajunrevenge
04-30-2016, 11:14 AM
You do realize calling them up in th second half has little to no impact on their service time. 2017 will still be their first year of service time.

chop2chip
04-30-2016, 11:28 AM
You do realize calling them up in th second half has little to no impact on their service time. 2017 will still be their first year of service time.

Sure, if you think the Braves should have Albies and Swanson up on opening day next year, which I don't think they should do.

Dalyn
04-30-2016, 11:53 AM

That's what I thought.

NinersSBChamps
04-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Lol how old is Swanson and he just made double a ball.

Dalyn
04-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Lol how old is Swanson and he just made double a ball.

http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/2013/12/30/007/n/3019466/dbb691cacc1843ac_61C.gif.xxxlarge/i/Party-Pooper.gif

50PoundHead
04-30-2016, 12:19 PM

Short-sighted to me, but the last time I checked, none of my paychecks were issued from the Atlanta Braves.

Garmel
04-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Is there any point to watching the Mudcats now with Swanson gone? Seems like we don't have a lot of talent there right now.

clvclv
04-30-2016, 01:29 PM
Is there any point to watching the Mudcats now with Swanson gone? Seems like we don't have a lot of talent there right now.

Told a couple cousins of mine that live in the area that they needed to make plans to go early three weeks ago since he wouldn't be there long. Think they both missed their chances.

VirginiaBrave
04-30-2016, 01:39 PM
Still I hope they don't see ATL until next season. I think about 2005 when Frenchy, Mac, Kelly, and Joey Devine were called up. The argument could be made that they were called up too soon. The only one that it didn't stunt their growth as players was Mac in my opinion.

chop2chip
04-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Davidson and Povhe are probably the only ones worth paying attention to.

smootness
04-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Still I hope they don't see ATL until next season. I think about 2005 when Frenchy, Mac, Kelly, and Joey Devine were called up. The argument could be made that they were called up too soon. The only one that it didn't stunt their growth as players was Mac in my opinion.

This is all just complete conjecture, though.

I mean, holy cow, Kelly Johnson had a full season in A, a full season in A+, basically two full seasons in AA, then 44 games in AAA. He was 23. If we're saying he was rushed, then good grief.

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Sure, if you think the Braves should have Albies and Swanson up on opening day next year, which I don't think they should do.

Why? If they keep raking while playing plus d they need to play

Object is to win mlb games. Not have the cheapest roster

Enscheff
04-30-2016, 02:18 PM
No, the object is to sustained trips to the playoffs. You don't do that by wasting service time of your future middle infielders during a season that is already a lost cause.

It would probably be wisest to leave both Albies and Swanson in the minors until a few weeks into 2017, but I have a feeling they will be handed the keys to SS and 2B from day 1 of next season to open up the new ballpark. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if they come up for a couple months towards the end of this season. It would cost the Braves a year of control, but at least it would give us a reason to watch the team in September

jpx7
04-30-2016, 02:29 PM
No, the object is to sustained trips to the playoffs. You don't do that by wasting service time of your future middle infielders during a season that is already a lost cause.

It would probably be wisest to leave both Albies and Swanson in the minors until a few weeks into 2017, but I have a feeling they will be handed the keys to SS and 2B from day 1 of next season to open up the new ballpark. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if they come up for a couple months towards the end of this season. It would cost the Braves a year of control, but at least it would give us a reason to watch the team in September

Beyond service-time, it'd be nice to give them enough PA to ensure they develop smoothly and that they seem likely to have adapted to the higher level of play, versus just riding an early hot streak.

Braves1976
04-30-2016, 02:57 PM
I don't like rushing them like this, I am afraid it will backfire one way or another.

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 03:03 PM

How does it lose a year of control? My understanding is that super 2 will just cost us more arb money if they are good. It won't cost a year of control unless u are advocating not playing them till 2018

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 03:04 PM
I don't like rushing them like this, I am afraid it will backfire one way or another.

Is it a rush if they are killing it? What is the metric for seeing if they are ready?

Braves1976
04-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Is it a rush if they are killing it? What is the metric for seeing if they are ready?

The month of April hasn't even ended yet, Albies is just 19 and already skipped High A and now barely a month in AA and off to AAA? I am not as concerned about Swanson jumping to AA as he is 22 and most thought both could handle AA. Further, as dak said in the other thread it isn't so much these promotions I don't like. It's that it seems they're trying to rush them to the Majors this year and that concerns me.

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 03:27 PM
The month of April hasn't even ended yet, Albies is just 19 and already skipped High A and now barely a month in AA and off to AAA? I am not as concerned about Swanson jumping to AA as he is 22 and most thought both could handle AA. Further, as dak said in the other thread it isn't so much these promotions I don't like. It's that it seems they're trying to rush them to the Majors this year and that concerns me.

That's your narrative. Andruw did it. Fur all did it but ended up being lower.

Albies metrics are in performance, not age. Sounds like he's not getting bigger. Everyone says he's mlb ready on d. So if he can handle elite stuff he should play.

I think their goal is for them to play NEXT yr. bring them up with roster expansion to get some firsts out of the way.

If they struggle they won't promote him

auyushu
04-30-2016, 03:44 PM
That's your narrative. Andruw did it. Fur all did it but ended up being lower.

And for as awesome as Andruw was defensively, he never really hit his full potential offensively. Now whether having that extra time in the minors would have made him a better hitter is questionable, but leapfrogging through levels definitely didn't help him. You have to give the players a chance to struggle so they can learn to make adjustments. When you move them so fast they don't even see pitchers more than once then nobody makes adjustments to them, and in turn they don't get a chance to learn to adjust.

And clearly they are planning on starting them at the beginning of next year, but it's pretty dumb. And it's being done for financial reasons (to drum up interest in the club for the new park), not developmental reasons.

Braves1976
04-30-2016, 03:51 PM
@mlbbowman
The Albies and Swanson promotions furthers the Braves' hope that both could be in Atlanta for this season's second half.

Braves1976
04-30-2016, 04:04 PM
And for as awesome as Andruw was defensively, he never really hit his full potential offensively. Now whether having that extra time in the minors would have made him a better hitter is questionable, but leapfrogging through levels definitely didn't help him. You have to give the players a chance to struggle so they can learn to make adjustments. When you move them so fast they don't even see pitchers more than once then nobody makes adjustments to them, and in turn they don't get a chance to learn to adjust.

And clearly they are planning on starting them at the beginning of next year, but it's pretty dumb. And it's being done for financial reasons (to drum up interest in the club for the new park), not developmental reasons.

Exactly!

SidSlid92
04-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Both are probably prepared for a challenge at a higher level, so I love the promotions. However, the notion of them being called up for the second half is idiotic. That would be a financial decision to put butts in the seats in the new Cobb Co. Park. That would not be a sound baseball decision. Both players need to stay in the minors throughout this year, and a few weeks in to next season. Albies, Swanson, Ruiz and Newcomb can all come up late Mid to late April 2017, not before then.

50PoundHead
04-30-2016, 04:28 PM

I think a lot of this is about giving the fans reason to not simply leaving the team forever. It's been a couple of tough years and a lot of popular guys were dealt off in an attempt to start from scratch. The problem with that is that the casual fan goes away and the more serious fan becomes embittered. Atlanta isn't Boston or Chicago, where there's enough hard core fans to fill the stadium even if the product is sub-par. From my vantage point (and I think the Twin Cities up here is the same way) is that Atlanta is a town of upper middle class transients who aren't going to go to the ballpark if the team isn't good because they don't have a longstanding tie to the team.

I don't want to break the 1962 Mets' 40-120 futility mark (and I'm sure the front office doesn't either), but a bit of perspective is in order. If you've started down the road of the long view, you better stay on it, especially after the arguably negative impact of the deals that have been made.

yeezus
04-30-2016, 04:39 PM

there is no guarantee andruw does any better if he spends more time in the minors. prospects don't live up to their potential all the time.

nsacpi
04-30-2016, 04:51 PM
There are no guarantee but chances are Albies age 26 season will be better than his age 20 season. So I would rather have him under contractual control from age 21 to 26 than age 20 to 25.

striker42
04-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Remember, Albies played a good bit for the big club in ST and impressed. Yes he's young but they've gotten a really good look at him.

Enscheff
04-30-2016, 05:04 PM
How does it lose a year of control? My understanding is that super 2 will just cost us more arb money if they are good. It won't cost a year of control unless u are advocating not playing them till 2018

If they are up from day one they are controlled for 6 years. If they wait a couple weeks they get that year plus 6 more years of control. They will be a super 2 and will go through arbitration 4 times instead of the usual 3 times.

And as someone said earlier, Albies will probably a much better player at 26 then 20, so I would rather control his age 26 season than have him playing on a cheaply team from day 1 at the age of 20.

It's all about resource management.

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 05:09 PM
There are no guarantee but chances are Albies age 26 season will be better than his age 20 season. So I would rather have him under contractual control from age 21 to 26 than age 20 to 25.
Plan is probably to extend and make that argument moot.

If he becomes a boras client they will trade him

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 05:10 PM
If they are up from day one they are controlled for 6 years. If they wait a couple weeks they get that year plus 6 more years of control. They will be a super 2 and will go through arbitration 4 times instead of the usual 3 times.

And as someone said earlier, Albies will probably a much better player at 26 then 20, so I would rather control his age 26 season than have him playing on a cheaply team from day 1 at the age of 20.

It's all about resource management.

I don't think that is right.

Dob was adamant that the braves did not lose any yrs of control on Blair

Iirc u have to keep them below 172 days on 25 man to get a bonus yr

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 05:12 PM

Nothing to support this. Total speculation.

Even if u are right u say they need to adjust. If they are raking inthe minors why would they adjust?

Braves1976
04-30-2016, 05:20 PM

What Enscheff said is correct, but what DOB said is correct too because DOB was referencing this year, not next year like Enscheff. Enscheff is saying if they wait a couple weeks into next season to call them up they get all of next year and 6 additional years. Just as with Blair we get this year and 6 additional years, though he will be super 2 when he'd not been if we simply waited a few more weeks.

smootness
04-30-2016, 05:35 PM
I want us to promote guys when we think they're ready for it and for that to be the only decision, unless you're literally talking about a week or two between when they're ready and when we would gain an extra year of control.

If they feel like Albies and Swanson are ready for promotions, then this is a good decision. And there's really nothing to argue on Swanson, so the concern seems to be over Albies...but this is a guy who was given a very aggressive promotion and is hitting better in AA than he did in A. So we seem to believe he's ready, and I think he is, too.

Bryce Harper was promoted extremely aggressively, and it hasn't hurt him a bit. You could make the argument that if a guy is killing it then he's too good for the level and he actually won't be forced to make adjustments, so you promote him until he's at a level that actually challenges him to help his development.

Albies and Swanson both seem to be ready for promotions. If they appear to be ready for the jump to the majors in 2 months, then I'm fine with bringing them up.

auyushu
04-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Plan is probably to extend and make that argument moot.

If he becomes a boras client they will trade him

They can plan all they want, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen. If you keep them in the minors until May 2017 we don't have to worry about it, and have them for 7 years of control. We aren't going to make the playoffs next year either, so wasting a full year of control for a month or two of major league time is idiotic.

See Jason Heyward for a good example of why we are complaining about this. Furcal is another perfect example. Bring either up a month or two later and you get another full year of control for each. As Enscheff said, it's all about resource management, which is essential to be consistently good as a mid market/small market club like the Braves are with our crappy TV contract.

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 06:22 PM
They can plan all they want, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen. If you keep them in the minors until May 2017 we don't have to worry about it, and have them for 7 years of control. We aren't going to make the playoffs next year either, so wasting a full year of control for a month or two of major league time is idiotic.

See Jason Heyward for a good example of why we are complaining about this. Furcal is another perfect example. Bring either up a month or two later and you get another full year of control for each. As Enscheff said, it's all about resource management, which is essential to be consistently good as a mid market/small market club like the Braves are with our crappy TV contract.

I get it. But I don't think u can focus on 2024. By that time the braves want to be winning games, having a lot more money, and be out of tv deal. Front office could be fired by then. Ownership could be done by then.

Braves prob hope maitan et al are ready to replace albies if he becomes a boras guy.

Copy has made comments iirc that they are not going to play a lot of service time games. Maybe they think that helps them in signing future young guys.

Heyward came up early. If he is up 2 months into the season it's very unlikely we make the playoffs. We were not signing him. We dealt him for a good return and got a great return bc zo a is dumb. I'm not complaining about that.

I really think we could be a decent team next year with Swanson and albies and one big trade or signing.

If he's an all star in 2022 and won't sign then you flip him.

UNCBlue012
04-30-2016, 07:08 PM
2-3 with three RBI for Swanson. He's already hit a homer.

nsacpi
04-30-2016, 07:27 PM
I want us to promote guys when we think they're ready for it and for that to be the only decision, unless you're literally talking about a week or two between when they're ready and when we would gain an extra year of control.

If they feel like Albies and Swanson are ready for promotions, then this is a good decision. And there's really nothing to argue on Swanson, so the concern seems to be over Albies...but this is a guy who was given a very aggressive promotion and is hitting better in AA than he did in A. So we seem to believe he's ready, and I think he is, too.

Bryce Harper was promoted extremely aggressively, and it hasn't hurt him a bit. You could make the argument that if a guy is killing it then he's too good for the level and he actually won't be forced to make adjustments, so you promote him until he's at a level that actually challenges him to help his development.

Albies and Swanson both seem to be ready for promotions. If they appear to be ready for the jump to the majors in 2 months, then I'm fine with bringing them up.
As good as Harper was at 20...he is much better now and will likely be quite a bit better at 26 than he was at 20...which is my point about Albies

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 07:46 PM
As good as Harper was at 20...he is much better now and will likely be quite a bit better at 26 than he was at 20...which is my point about Albies

So why not keep him inthe minors 4 more years and control his entire 20s?

bravesfanMatt
04-30-2016, 07:52 PM

A bit extreme, I think.. now the FO could elect to extend them after this year if they are thinking about bringing them up. Just give them a contract to extend each to age 29. you could buy them cheap I am sure. The risk is they flame out or get injured but they could go cheap because they would have guaranteed money in case they flame out or get injured..

nsacpi
04-30-2016, 07:53 PM
The case for preferring his age 26 season to his age 20 is quite a bit stronger than preferrin 28 over 22.

Russ2dollas
04-30-2016, 07:54 PM
A bit extreme, I think.. now the FO could elect to extend them after this year if they are thinking about bringing them up. Just give them a contract to extend each to age 29. you could buy them cheap I am sure. The risk is they flame out or get injured but they could go cheap because they would have guaranteed money in case they flame out or get injured..

That's my point. Every yr to 30 u assume they'll be better. At some point they play

Some we can extend lie Simmons ff Tehran kimbrel. Others will get traded. 2017 we will want to be 500 or better

Enscheff
04-30-2016, 09:50 PM

Iirc u have to keep them below 172 days on 25 man to get a bonus yr

They didn't lose a year of control in Blair because they left him in the minors for a month. They now control him for 6 years plus 5 months of this season...or exactly what we are suggesting they do with Swanson and Albies.

Those guys need to stay in the minors all 2016. Bringing them up this year is beyond stupid. There is no reason to start their clocks so the Braves lose 90 games instead of 100 games.

keithlaw
04-30-2016, 11:04 PM
We should call them both up to pump up their trade value then flip them for a top 50 prospect.

auyushu
05-01-2016, 12:28 AM
I get it. But I don't think u can focus on 2024. By that time the braves want to be winning games, having a lot more money, and be out of tv deal. Front office could be fired by then. Ownership could be done by then.

Braves prob hope maitan et al are ready to replace albies if he becomes a boras guy.

Copy has made comments iirc that they are not going to play a lot of service time games. Maybe they think that helps them in signing future young guys.

Hate to break it to you, but we're unfortunately going to still be under the Tv contract in 2024, it doesn't run out until 2027.

But anyway, you always have to consider 5-6 years down the road, otherwise you wind up just like we are right now. JS was focused entirely on the now in 2003-2008 and wiped out our farm and screwed us because of it. Once we got rebuilt a bit Wren's crappy low ceiling short term focused drafted screwed us again (along with some poor injury luck). In order to have a consistently good team as a mid-market team you always have to consider all the angles.

And it's not playing service time game to call up Swanson or Albies in June next year, that would actually be perfectly normal progression. What we are doing right now would be considered rushing the hell out of them by most franchises leveling process.

And if by being a decent team you mean right around .500, then sure we could do that next year. But wasting a year of control on them for that is pointless. We don't have the pitching to make noise yet, but we will in 2018/2019, which is main reason it makes more sense to streamline Albies and Swanson's clocks for 2018-2023.

Russ2dollas
05-01-2016, 11:51 AM
I think players need to play when they are ready. I think being 500 next year is a stepping stone to playoffs. I don't think you want to go into 18 with 5 plus rookies

Ideally we keep them under 172 days next yr.

But we have a lot of things to consider. I think the braves feel confident they extend them

yeezus
05-01-2016, 11:53 AM
I think players need to play when they are ready. I think being 500 next year is a stepping stone to playoffs. I don't think you want to go into 18 with 5 plus rookies

But we have a lot of things to consider. I think the braves feel confident they extend them

this is pretty much where I am. if they're pushing the issue that much by performing the way they have, keep challenging them.

nsacpi
05-01-2016, 11:59 AM
I would also move a player up as they show they are ready. But I would say that a player should show they are are ready at each level over a two to three month period as opposed to a few weeks.

bravesfanforlife88
05-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Swanson's Double

https://youtu.be/cJYcQY8a5kA

Sawanson's HR

https://youtu.be/y629swGwhqE

rico43
05-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Swanson's Double

https://youtu.be/cJYcQY8a5kA

Sawanson's HR

https://youtu.be/y629swGwhqE

Lipka sighting!

jpx7
05-01-2016, 01:39 PM
@mlbbowman
The Albies and Swanson promotions furthers the Braves' hope that both could be in Atlanta for this season's second half.

I have reason to believe that's unwise.

jpx7
05-01-2016, 01:46 PM

there is no guarantee andruw does any better if he spends more time in the minors. prospects don't live up to their potential all the time.

... auyushu explicitly admitted as much in the second sentence of the post, so I'm not sure why you're reiterating. The point is, it'd be hard to argue that flying up so quickly patently helped Andruw's development, even if "there is no guarantee Andruw does any better if he spends more time in the minors."

And at least—with a very competitive team and needs on the major-league roster—there was some justification for moving Andruw (or Furcal, or Francoeur, et cetera) up to the majors quickly. In a lost season like this one, the Human Centi-John that runs the organization just needs to embrace the major-league suck and be patient with the gems down on the farm.

smootness
05-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Swanson and Albies both have such sweet swings. That is easy bat speed from Swanson.

auyushu
05-01-2016, 02:08 PM

None of us want to go into 18 with 5 rookies, all of us arguing for those two to not come up till June next year want them on the roster at the least by mid 2017. There is barely any developmental difference coming up in June rather than April. Even if they blow the doors off we are looking at a difference of 4-5 wins maybe from the two of them over 2 months, so the impact on our record won't be huge either. Outside of getting a better draft pick, having 81 wins versus 77-78 wins will mean little next year. The big focus for me will be how we perform in the second half.

Most of the best players in baseball start their clocks in Juneish, for good reason. I'm hoping to see all our top players that are High A ball and above right now in the majors by the middle of next year, with the ones in Rome hopefully being up by mid 2018.

Spend/trade for an OF bat with pop and we are looking good for a solid run from 2019-2023 at least at that point. Those two are definitely players I hope we extend, but their are no certainties there, so we're better off maximizing service time, particularly when we are just following normal developmental progression and the players won't be getting pissed about it.

NinersSBChamps
05-01-2016, 02:14 PM
So wait I thought all these mega stud prospects the Braves have would be ready to dominate the sport next season. Why is there talk about 2018?

smootness
05-01-2016, 02:16 PM
So wait I thought all these mega stud prospects the Braves have would be ready to dominate the sport next season. Why is there talk about 2018?

You are the worst.

Heyward
05-01-2016, 02:37 PM
If Swanson/Albies are as good as some hope im sure the FO will try to buy out a few FA years.

Some of yall complain just to complain.

nsacpi
05-01-2016, 02:40 PM
The possibility of an extension is there whether or not the service clock starts this year or next year. The fact that this possibility exists does not change the arguments for or against bringing them up this year.

sturg33
05-01-2016, 02:43 PM
If Swanson/Albies are as good as some hope im sure the FO will try to buy out a few FA years.

This is what was said about Heyward too...

Russ2dollas
05-01-2016, 02:48 PM
This is what was said about Heyward too...

Don't bring up heyward and we miss the playoffs

Heyward worked out for us IMO

sturg33
05-01-2016, 02:51 PM

Just saying... the excuse back then was - who cares about serve time because we're going to extend him forever.

Not holding him down 11 days cost us a year.

jpx7
05-01-2016, 02:58 PM

But that line of justification is moot in this case, because the Braves aren't winning anything in 2016—and are very unlikely to be serious playoff contenders in 2017. At the very least, roster decisions in April 2017 shouldn't be made with much consideration for October 2017.

thewupk
05-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Key word: try

The Braves and some Braves fans need to start operating under the realization that this is 2016 and not 1995. We are a middle to low tier payroll and not #1 anymore. There is no guarantee we will extend anybody. Therefore just carelessly bringing them up and not maximizing service time rules is mind boggling.

Enscheff
05-01-2016, 02:59 PM

A couple weeks of Swanson and/or Albies isn't going to make or break the odds of the Braves making the playoffs in 2017. Not having them for the extra year of control in 2024 could very well cost that team a playoff spot.

See the difference? Why is this so hard for folks to grasp? What rational person would rather have those 2 players for an extra month in 2017 over an entire year in 2024?

weso1
05-01-2016, 03:24 PM
I completely understand the reason why you hold them back, but I personally want to see them called up in June just because I want to watch them play. Would make the rest of this season and 2017 so much more watchable if these guys are up and playing well.

NinersSBChamps
05-01-2016, 03:33 PM
You are the worst.

The fans are about as bad as the front office. Always backtracking and trying to convince themselves things that aren't actually true.

jpx7
05-01-2016, 03:43 PM
The fans are about as bad as the front office. Always backtracking and trying to convince themselves things that aren't actually true.

Backtracking? I'm pretty sure the fans have been pretty consistent in their accusations that you're the worst (or at least the co-worst).

Enscheff
05-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Backtracking? I'm pretty sure the fans have been pretty consistent in their accusations that you're the worst (or at least the co-worst).

Yes, he is the Fredi Gonzales or CB Bucknor of posters.

Carp
05-01-2016, 03:59 PM
What Enscheff said is correct, but what DOB said is correct too because DOB was referencing this year, not next year like Enscheff. Enscheff is saying if they wait a couple weeks into next season to call them up they get all of next year and 6 additional years. Just as with Blair we get this year and 6 additional years, though he will be super 2 when he'd not been if we simply waited a few more weeks.

That's assuming Blair stays up the rest of the season. I think there's a decent chance he is sent down at some point before the deadline for a couple weeks.

Braves1976
05-01-2016, 04:52 PM
That's assuming Blair stays up the rest of the season. I think there's a decent chance he is sent down at some point before the deadline for a couple weeks.

I hope you're right, obviously. But if that's assuming it isn't me doing the assuming since both Bowman and DOB have reported that he's up to stay. Do you think they both lack sources on that?

smootness
05-01-2016, 05:01 PM
I think Blair is up to stay. It just doesn't make much sense to send him down at this point.

Braves1976
05-01-2016, 05:05 PM
I think Blair is up to stay. It just doesn't make much sense to send him down at this point.

Though I wanted to wait, I would agree that it is hard to send him down now minus poor performance. If you do so for just two weeks, it's obvious why and I wouldn't want to make it that obvious. However, if he had a bad game soon I'd use that as a reason and just recall him in a few weeks. That said, I doubt either happens as reports as you know say he's here to stay.

Enscheff
05-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Wasn't Blair in the minors long enough to get that extra year of control?

Braves1976
05-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Wasn't Blair in the minors long enough to get that extra year of control?

Yes, but as MLBTR stated had he stayed in minors two more weeks (almost exactly as far as days). He'd not been super two either but will now if he stays up all year.

sturg33
05-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Yes, but as MLBTR stated had he stayed in minors two more weeks (almost exactly as far as days). He'd not been super two either but will now if he stays up all year.

I hope those extra 3 starts he gets to make this year will be worth the potentially many more millions we may end up paying due to super 2

Braves1976
05-01-2016, 09:04 PM
I hope those extra 3 starts he gets to make this year will be worth the potentially many more millions we may end up paying due to super 2

Yea, this is why I wanted to just give him a few more weeks and in the meantime give others in line a shot. Then if they failed or did well you just put one in Norris spot and call up Blair after that time is up.

GovClintonTyree
05-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Yea, this is why I wanted to just give him a few more weeks and in the meantime give others in line a shot. Then if they failed or did well you just put one in Norris spot and call up Blair after that time is up.

Would've been the right move, '76. More incompetence from the Coppy Crowd.

GovClintonTyree
05-01-2016, 09:50 PM

Worst GM in MLB.

GovClintonTyree
05-01-2016, 09:52 PM
You are the worst.

He's pissed. I'm pissed.

GovClintonTyree
05-01-2016, 09:53 PM

Heyward came up early. If he is up 2 months into the season it's very unlikely we make the playoffs. We were not signing him. We dealt him for a good return and got a great return bc zo a is dumb. I'm not complaining about that.

I really think we could be a decent team next year with Swanson and albies and one big trade or signing.

If he's an all star in 2022 and won't sign then you flip him.

2024???

Sweet Jesus.

Braves1976
05-01-2016, 10:05 PM
2024???

Sweet Jesus.

Yea. Some of us old timers will be dead by then, lol.

Enscheff
05-02-2016, 01:26 AM

I'm much less concerned about the super 2 status. If the guy ends up being good enough to worry about team control he will be a bargain at any arbitration figure. If he ends up being non tendered then it doesn't matter.

But it all boils down to setting the team up to be able to control a potential star for one more full season in their prime.

The Chosen One
05-02-2016, 03:16 AM
I'm much less concerned about the super 2 status. If the guy ends up being good enough to worry about team control he will be a bargain at any arbitration figure. If he ends up being non tendered then it doesn't matter.

But it all boils down to setting the team up to be able to control a potential star for one more full season in their prime.

Yes, if Albies and Swanson actually reach their star potential projections, if Malone and Co. don't give us more payroll we won't be able to afford them if they become awesome. If we're worried about whether we get one more arbitration year, I'm more worried about us being able to afford them for the arbitration year. We may end up doing another rebuild again. I think if we had a bigger purse we would have signed Hey and Justin long term instead of trying to flip them.

Julio3000
05-02-2016, 07:05 AM
If there is anything to Bowman's tweet, I think there is (ahem) reason for concern that the Triple Johntente is emphasizing short-term PR gains over the long game. It will be fun, sure, kinda like eating cheesecake for dinner, but in a few years we may wish we'd eaten our veggies instead.

nsacpi
05-02-2016, 07:08 AM
If there is anything to Bowman's tweet, I think there is (ahem) reason for concern that the Triple Johntente is emphasizing short-term PR gains over the long game. It will be fun, sure, kinda like eating cheesecake for dinner, but in a few years we may wish we'd eaten our veggies instead.

This is where spin can be something not entirely harmless. The spinner will sometimes feel obligated to accompany the spin with actions that are not in the long-term interests of the organization.

Yogi44
05-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Told a couple cousins of mine that live in the area that they needed to make plans to go early three weeks ago since he wouldn't be there long. Think they both missed their chances.

Made my trip two weeks ago. Definitely worth it as I knew he would not be there long. Keith Curcio has been pretty interesting to watch.

clvclv
05-03-2016, 12:59 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/braves-have-two-elite-shortstops-of-the-future/#8UWVu1pmF5AUcdlQ.97