PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article: "Model for a Modern Day Manager" - Does Fredi Fit the Mold?

NYCBrave
08-19-2013, 12:06 PM
I found this article in the NY Daily news where the writer was discussing Charlie Manuel after his firing and how he was the ideal manger type for the current era. Here are a few select quotes that stuck out:

Charlie Manuel, one of the underestimated baseball figures of our time, presented the model for how a contemporary manager can succeed. He was a genius at handling the sensitivities of the current MLB player, and he created the template that has informed my coverage of Jerry Manuel, Terry Collins, Joe Girardi, and everyone else.

The modern athlete is sensitive, insecure, and performs better when flattered. If a player does not feel that a manager has his back, the skipper will not succeed. Jerry Manuel once joked that injured righthander John Maine could pitch lefthanded, and called the Mets’ offense “pathetic;” he was right on the latter point, but lost the locker room with comments like that.

Terry Collins began his tenure by courting veterans Carlos Beltran, David Wright and Johan Santana, and has been rewarded -- in most cases, at least -- with a team that listens to him, and plays hard during losing seasons. Fans often want managers to be tougher, but that approach simply does not work

Would love to hear what my fellow Braves fans think, and if you think Fredi is anywhere close to this management style. Bobby Cox was the perfect definition of having his players backs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/baseballinsider/2013/08/phillies-charlie-manuel-showed-how-to-manage-the-modern-mlb-player-evaluatin

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 12:08 PM
It's possible, I don't really know what goes on behind the scenes.

But, I wonder how much it affects players that he does not have their backs in on field arguments.

NYCBrave
08-19-2013, 12:18 PM
It's possible, I don't really know what goes on behind the scenes.

But, I wonder how much it affects players that he does not have their backs in on field arguments.

Yep, that's been one of my gripes with him as well, he seems to rarely take up an argument that his player is having. Cox was notorious for doing that.

The Chosen One
08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Fredi has been ejected a few times.

Im glad he doesn't get thrown out just to get thrown out.

If BJ wants to get tossed for arguing balls and strikes let em lol

cajunrevenge
08-19-2013, 04:44 PM
I dont think this kind of thing can be under rated. Players believing in a manager and wanting to play for them is a big deal. I also think whats going on behind the scenes has a lot to do with moves that are made that we as fans dont agree with.

Julio3000
08-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Something that I've noticed about Fredi is that he is willing to make adjustments and change things up...his threshold for making those changes is just (usually) higher than message board yahoos--myself included--are happy with,

He treated Craig Kimbrel like a U-Haul rental at first, then did a much better job managing the bullpen the next season. He moved Heyward to leadoff and Simmons to the lower end of rhe order...finally. He PH'd with his backup catcher a couple of times this year. I don't know what the numbers say, but it seems like he's bunting with position players less than he used to. Heck, he's even arguing more than he used to.

The biggest part of his job is arguably the part that we have the least insight into, though.