PDA

View Full Version : Did the Braves miss the boat on IF Depth?

CJC
08-19-2013, 02:20 PM
I know that no one would have predicted that Pastornicky would go down right after they DLed Uggla. However, the lack of pre-deadline moves leaves us with Janish and Gosselin for 2 weeks. The waiver situation, coupled with our best record in baseball will make it near impossible to find a short term fix.

Is there any way to patch the problem. Or are we just waiting on Uggla?

GovClintonTyree
08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I know that no one would have predicted that Pastornicky would go down right after they DLed Uggla. However, the lack of pre-deadline moves leaves us with Janish and Gosselin for 2 weeks. The waiver situation, coupled with our best record in baseball will make it near impossible to find a short term fix.

Is there any way to patch the problem. Or are we just waiting on Uggla?

We're 15 1/2 up. I think we wait for Uggla.

Nerfherders
08-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Where is Brooks Conrad when you need him?

Russ2dollas
08-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Still have LaStella. Uggla coming back. Can use Janish if we have to. I don't see a difference maker available.

CJC
08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
A guy like Scutaro or Callaspo... just a short term fix.

BTW I just looked at the numbers for 2B and they are terrible across the board. How valuable are Cano and Kipnis right now?

nsacpi
08-19-2013, 02:58 PM
We actually still have some decent infield depth in AAA and AA. Everyone knows about La Stella. Alden Carrithers has had a solid season in Gwinnett and could fill in at second or third if necessary. He's put up a .375 OBP in AAA.

CJC
08-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Does LaStella get a look in Sept?

did we not want to start for two weeks in Late August with a 15 game lead?

JCarbo76
08-19-2013, 03:13 PM
We're 15 1/2 up. I think we wait for Uggla.

Agree. At worst, all we need now is a body, or two. No need to sacrifice anything until Uggla returns. Janish and Gosselin are fine for now, Plus, Uggla isn't two weeks away, he is eligible for reinstatement on the 27th, and we only have 6 games before then.

Temo
08-19-2013, 03:25 PM
A guy like Scutaro or Callaspo... just a short term fix.

BTW I just looked at the numbers for 2B and they are terrible across the board. How valuable are Cano and Kipnis right now?

Damn, you weren't kidding. NL 2B for the year are barely hitting better than SS's. And fielding way worse (relative to position).

NL 2B: .251/.311/.376
NL SS: .254/.309/.370

50PoundHead
08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
I think they pretty much sit tight. I was a bit surprised they didn't express interest in Ryan Roberts, but no one else did either so there's probably a reason he was passed over.

I think the thing on LaStella is that he doesn't have to go on the 40-man roster over the winter to avoid being eligible for the Rule 5. I was a bit surprised Gosselin did come up, because even though he would have to go on the 40-man to escape Rule 5 consideration, I don't think he'll be there going into next season (unless he totally rips it up in September). Truth be told, I'm no big Tyler Greene guy, but I think he makes a little more sense than Gosselin because of his experience at SS, but it doesn't look like the time window worked (or wasn't open very long).

Janish will stick around. Can't hit, but super glove.

gilesfan
08-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Really doesn't make any sense to make a move. Just like Janish play for a few days.

nsacpi
08-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Fredi likes having Janish as a late game defensive sub and I think he'll be on the post-season roster. The rest of our bench is strong enough offensively to allow us to carry someone like Janish.

NinersSBChamps
08-19-2013, 05:33 PM
It's pretty sad when people can't wait for Dan Uggla to come back and be inserted in the lineup.

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
The problem with the lack of infield depth is if Simmons or CJ goes down near or in the playoffs. We'd be in trouble. Then again if Simmons goes down near or in the playoffs, we're likely pretty much done anyway.

emk418
08-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Still have LaStella. Uggla coming back. Can use Janish if we have to. I don't see a difference maker available.

Janish is awful. Our need for a UTIL player has nothing to do with Uggla. We need someone who can play 3B/SS/2B and hit better than a pitcher.

zitothebrave
08-19-2013, 06:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4XskfT6vNY