PDA

View Full Version : Nationals even mess up waiver claims

tvsportscaster
08-19-2013, 10:18 PM
The Nationals acquired David DeJesus earlier today after claiming him from the Cubs when the Cubs declined to pull him back. Now it appears they didn't really want him after all, because the Nats have now put him on waivers immediately. And there's not really a fit on that club for DeJesus, seems like they can mess up a wet dream right now.

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 10:21 PM
The speculation is that they claimed him to block him to another team (someone even speculated that team being us).

drewdat
08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
The speculation is that they claimed him to block him to another team (someone even speculated that team being us).

Yeah, us picking up DeJesus could really signal the end of the Nationals' NL East hopes.

Braves1976
08-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah, us picking up DeJesus could really signal the end of the Nationals' NL East hopes.

If they still have such hope, then they're deluding themselves. The Braves might be celebrating the NL East division title by early Sept. at this rate. The division race is over. It's now just a matter of how early we clinch it officially. I don't even see the Nats getting back in the Wild Card race. They should get ready for next year.

Gary82
08-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Is this real life?

What are the Nats doing? :facepalm:

Julio3000
08-19-2013, 10:44 PM
They must have forgotten that nobody ****s with DeJesus.
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/thejesus.jpeg

Bdawg2309
08-20-2013, 12:19 AM
like we would need another OF..

Braves1976
08-20-2013, 12:24 AM
like we would need another OF..

No kidding, we barely have enough room for all those that we have now. Plus we have OF prospects in AAA that are probably ready but no room for them (Cunningham for example).

Carp
08-20-2013, 12:33 AM

I would guess the Reds more so than us. They could use an extra OFer.

Dunit24
08-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Nats released Bernadina as well. Hes had a horrible season, but a guy who used to own us in the past.

Its going to be an interesting offseason for them.

nsacpi
08-20-2013, 07:45 AM

In a lot of ways their situation this offseason will be the same as ours after the 2011 collapse. They have a great core of talent and need to resist the temptation to overreact to a very disappointing season.

conalthomas
08-20-2013, 08:26 AM

Yeah, well that's like your opinion, man.http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9fBFflcllzs/TV4P7bWip9I/AAAAAAAAAmI/UgUj35dJuEI/s320/TheDude-1.jpg

50PoundHead
08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Nats released Bernadina as well. Hes had a horrible season, but a guy who used to own us in the past.

The Nats' entire bench has really stunk it up. Moore, Suzuki, Lombardozzi, Tracy, and the soon-to-be departed Bernadina all sport sub-.600 OPS's. I don't know what was expected of some of these guys, but Moore and Lombardozzi looked like they could play last season and Bernadina has had his moments over the years. Benches don't win championships, but it's always nice to have some guys in waiting who can play a little bit.

I agree with nsacpi. The worst thing the Nats can do is panic. Nice top of the rotation and a decent starting line-up. Harper stays healthy all year, Rendon gets established, and they upgrade at C and 1B and they'll be okay.

Temo
08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
The Nats' entire bench has really stunk it up. Moore, Suzuki, Lombardozzi, Tracy, and the soon-to-be departed Bernadina all sport sub-.600 OPS's. I don't know what was expected of some of these guys, but Moore and Lombardozzi looked like they could play last season and Bernadina has had his moments over the years. Benches don't win championships, but it's always nice to have some guys in waiting who can play a little bit.

I agree with nsacpi. The worst thing the Nats can do is panic. Nice top of the rotation and a decent starting line-up. Harper stays healthy all year, Rendon gets established, and they upgrade at C and 1B and they'll be okay.

The Nationals seem like they're built the opposite of the Braves: great top-shelf players, and just zero depth behind them.

Rendon/Desmond/Werth/Harper will all be good, and Ramos might be good too. But anytime anyone goes down, the guys who step in are playing at AA-levels of productivity.

Their pitching has been good rather than great this year, which is fine... except their bullpen blows. Again, hamstrung by something that "should" be a minor thing to fix.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
People take the waiver wire way too seriously. Almost every player is put on the waiver wire. If a team offers something for Dejuses more than they gave up, maybe they let him go. Or he just stays as the 4th outfielder.

Temo, agree on depth for the most part. They have a lot of depth at certain positions (C, P), but some of the other spots they are weak at. This is directly correlated to having Bowden as a GM until 2009. You can build some top shelf prospects in a short amount of time, but in order to build depth in the organization, it takes years. They already have several really good prospects, but the depth has just started being established within the past 2 years once Roy Clark took the job and is in the lower minors. If you are the Nats, your core is Rendon/Desmond/Harper/Zimmerman/Ramos so build around them.

Agreed with 50 that the worst thing they could do is panic. They should just leave the rotation alone outside of a vet starter as insurance. Add a piece or 2 for position players/bench.

Outside of completely blowing it up (which I wouldn't expect), the spots they need to look at are CF and 1B. They have to figure out what to do with Span and Laroche.

I would consider Morales at first if I was them. I would probably keep Span.

Temo, the bullpen is essentially league average. They screwed up by not obtaining a more proved LOOGY or trying harder to re-sign Gonzalez or Gorzalany. That is an area they are def. going to have to look at as well as figuring out what to do with Soriano, who has turned into a train wreck the past week or 2. Thats an area they need depth in the organization in for sure.

Temo
08-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Their bullpen is 22nd in the majors this year in ERA and WAR. However bullpens are fairly easy to fix. Starting pitching is 12th.

Position players are 23rd, but that's mostly because Lombardozzi, Tracy, Espinosa, and Bernadina were all hitting like pitchers while filling in for various players. Tough to win when you have 4 position players who are literally batting like they're pitchers.

thethe
08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
People take the waiver wire way too seriously. Almost every player is put on the waiver wire. If a team offers something for Dejuses more than they gave up, maybe they let him go. Or he just stays as the 4th outfielder.

Temo, agree on depth for the most part. They have a lot of depth at certain positions (C, P), but some of the other spots they are weak at. This is directly correlated to having Bowden as a GM until 2009. You can build some top shelf prospects in a short amount of time, but in order to build depth in the organization, it takes years. They already have several really good prospects, but the depth has just started being established within the past 2 years once Roy Clark took the job and is in the lower minors. If you are the Nats, your core is Rendon/Desmond/Harper/Zimmerman/Ramos so build around them.

Agreed with 50 that the worst thing they could do is panic. They should just leave the rotation alone outside of a vet starter as insurance. Add a piece or 2 for position players/bench.

Outside of completely blowing it up (which I wouldn't expect), the spots they need to look at are CF and 1B. They have to figure out what to do with Span and Laroche.

I would consider Morales at first if I was them. I would probably keep Span.

Temo, the bullpen is essentially league average. They screwed up by not obtaining a more proved LOOGY or trying harder to re-sign Gonzalez or Gorzalany. That is an area they are def. going to have to look at as well as figuring out what to do with Soriano, who has turned into a train wreck the past week or 2. Thats an area they need depth in the organization in for sure.

Who exactly are the Nationals really good prospects? Nationals did not have a good year on the farm aside from the ridiculous record of their GCL team.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Who exactly are the Nationals really good prospects? Nationals did not have a good year on the farm aside from the ridiculous record of their GCL team.

Goodwin (though they have a glut of OF as is and I think Werth is under contract for 4 more years) Cole, Purke, and more

They're not a stud farm system, but they have good players down there.

The Nats problem is that their top players are limited by their positions, most are OF and 3B and what's where they have the most strength in the majors since they already have 2 3B on the MLB roster (probably would be wise to consider moving Zimmerman to 1B)

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Ignoring the guys that graduated this year; Goodwin, Giolito, Cole, Skole (out for year), Souza. They also have some high upside starters in the lower levels that have battled injuries.

thethe
08-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Goodwin (though they have a glut of OF as is and I think Werth is under contract for 4 more years) Cole, Purke, and more

They're not a stud farm system, but they have good players down there.

The Nats problem is that their top players are limited by their positions, most are OF and 3B and what's where they have the most strength in the majors since they already have 2 3B on the MLB roster (probably would be wise to consider moving Zimmerman to 1B)

Goodwin K's a lot and doesn't have a lot of power. He isn't exactly young for his league. He is overhyped for his start in Rome when he was drafted. Not a bad prospect at all but if you are claiming him to be one of your best you are in trouble.

Cole/Gioloto are their best prospects and pitching is not an issue already for the Nats. Haren hurt them early in the year but lately he has been a stud. Nats need hitters and they have next to nothingo n the farm in terms of hitting.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Goodwin K's a lot and doesn't have a lot of power. He isn't exactly young for his league. He is overhyped for his start in Rome when he was drafted. Not a bad prospect at all but if you are claiming him to be one of your best you are in trouble.

Cole/Gioloto are their best prospects and pitching is not an issue already for the Nats. Haren hurt them early in the year but lately he has been a stud. Nats need hitters and they have next to nothingo n the farm in terms of hitting.

Goodwin has a .164 iso slugging for a center fielder (career; .142 this year) and is 22 years old in AA. Certainly K's a lot, but is a 5 tool center fielder.

They certainly need some hitting, but the only spots that aren't taken long term are 1B and CF. THe other players in place should be long term Ramos, Rendon, Desmond, Zimerman, Harper, Werth

Internal options for 1B-3B/CF are Goodwin, Skole, Souza

Hawk
08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Or he just stays as the 4th outfielder.

A $2.5 million 4th outfielder.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 11:34 AM
A $2.5 million 4th outfielder.

Yeah, when you have money, you can afford to do that, unfortunately.

bravebonebook
08-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Their bullpen is 22nd in the majors this year in ERA and WAR. However bullpens are fairly easy to fix. Starting pitching is 12th.

Position players are 23rd, but that's mostly because Lombardozzi, Tracy, Espinosa, and Bernadina were all hitting like pitchers while filling in for various players. Tough to win when you have 4 position players who are literally batting like they're pitchers.

Haven't the Braves had to overcome the same problem plus 6 season ending injuries to important or contributing players? Just saying...

BRule
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
How is this "messing up"? Teams block all the time....people are really reaching....

50PoundHead
08-20-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm not for trading pitching willy-nilly, but if the Nats have pitching depth, they can always flip that for help elsewhere.

I'm not as big a Roy Clark guy as a lot of others are, but with the Nats' wallet and a good set of area scouts, I'm relatively sure he'll improve the minor league situation.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah, when you have money, you can afford to do that, unfortunately.

They have ~$115MM already committed to next year's team -- need to upgrade their starting rotation (sans Haren, sans Detwiler?) and their bench. Let's just say that puts them at $125-130MM (kindly) next season. Deep within the Top 10 in baseball. Must be nice?

stpeteirish
08-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Interesting execution of that strategy, putting him back on waivers.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 11:58 AM
They have ~$115MM already committed to next year's team -- need to upgrade their starting rotation (sans Haren, sans Detwiler?) and their bench. Let's just say that puts them at $125-130MM (kindly) next season. Deep within the Top 10 in baseball. Must be nice?

They have 83 million committed to next year. With raises due for Strasburg, Ramos, Desmond, Zimmermann, Clippard, Storen, Detwiler; you are correct that may get up to 115ish.

Detwiler has back issue, guessing he will be back. 5th starter will likely be between Roark, Cole, Jordan, Karns, or vet FA,

They def. need to upgrade bench. Guessing Suzuki, Hairston, and possibly Dejesus stay

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 12:01 PM
How is this "messing up"? Teams block all the time....people are really reaching....

It's a mess up because they'll potentially be on the hook for 1.5 Million next year. Not a wise block.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Interesting execution of that strategy, putting him back on waivers.

At least they now control DeJesus' destiny rather firmly ... they can pull him back off waivers if the team(s) they were originally trying to block him from reaching put in a claim.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 12:08 PM
They have 83 million committed to next year. With raises due for Strasburg, Ramos, Desmond, Zimmermann, Clippard, Storen, Detwiler; you are correct that may get up to 115ish.

Detwiler has back issue, guessing he will be back. 5th starter will likely be between Roark, Cole, Jordan, Karns, or vet FA,

They def. need to upgrade bench. Guessing Suzuki, Hairston, and possibly Dejesus stay

Nats have 80 in guaranteed contracts, 2 Arb 3 players (Zimmerman and Clippard) 4 arb 2 guys (Storen, Detwiler, Desmond and bernadina) and 4 arb 1 guys (Ramos, Rodriguez, Espinosa, Strasburg)

Of that group maybe 4 are non tendered? Zimmerman will probably make aroudn 10M, Storen probably aroudn 5 or 6, Detwiler probably around 4 or 5, Desmond probably aroudn 5 or 6 maybe more though depending on if he gets any hardware, Ramos probably makes around 2 maybe a little less, and Strasburg goes up to at least 5 but probably goes higher. With those guys you're already starting out probably around 111, I don't see them cutting ties with Clippard or Bernadina, call me crazy, and I doubt they'll guy ties with Rodriguez and Espinosa both.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 12:10 PM
From District Sports Page:

http://districtsportspage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/payroll.jpg

Key
FNT = Full no trade clause
NT = partial no trade clause
© = Club option
MO = Mutual option
A1, A2 or A3 = Arbitration eligible year 1, 2, or 3.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 12:12 PM
That Zimmerman contract ... :YDS:

BRule
08-20-2013, 12:16 PM
It's a mess up because they'll potentially be on the hook for 1.5 Million next year. Not a wise block.

LOL....You think 1.5 mil is going to screw up the Nats?

Dude, stop.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 12:18 PM
LOL....You think 1.5 mil is going to screw up the Nats?

Dude, stop.

Not mess up, but I can see them having to take a lesser quality player at osme point because of it. Every team has a spending ceiling.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Bernadina has already been released.
Who is Rodriguez? Henry, who plays for Cubs?

Espinosa, if he stays, won't get that much in arby 1.

Guessing Clippard will be gone.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Key
© = Club option
MO = Mutual option

That is with arbitration estimates built in and assuming some buyouts/options.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 12:23 PM
That is with arbitration estimates built in and assuming some buyouts/options.

Yes, hence the key.

I feel like the estimates are more on the conservative side though, don't you?

BRule
08-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Not mess up, but I can see them having to take a lesser quality player at osme point because of it. Every team has a spending ceiling.

IF they actually needed to save money, wouldn't they just not pick-up Sori's option? Ya know, since he's been horrible in the 2nd half and makes 7 mil, compared to 1.5?

He makes 1.5 MIL and we are talking about him like it's a 20 mil contract....this is stupid.

Temo
08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
BJ Upton has been pretty bad with the bat... and that's about it? I don't even think a single braves player has a batting line under league average, as amazing as that is.

Compared to the lines those 4 guys put up for the Nats... it's not even a comparison. BJ's been better with the bat than all of them, and he's been our worst hitter.

Temo
Haven't the Braves had to overcome the same problem plus 6 season ending injuries to important or contributing players? Just saying...

BJ Upton has been pretty bad with the bat... and that's about it? I don't even think a single braves player has a batting line under league average, as amazing as that is.

Compared to the lines those 4 guys put up for the Nats... it's not even a comparison. BJ's been better with the bat than all of them, and he's been our worst hitter.

bravesnumberone
I don't really see it as a mess up, but I also don't see the point. Blocking someone from getting David DeJesus isn't accomplishing anything.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Yes, hence the key.

Yes, conservative on a few players....Zimmermann/Desmond/Ramos (Desmond/Zim likely get extensions).

One of Clippard/Storen/Soriano will be gone and probably 2-3 of the arby 1 players.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes, hence the key.

Especially on Zimmerman

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 12:29 PM
IF they actually needed to save money, wouldn't they just not pick-up Sori's option? Ya know, since he's been horrible in the 2nd half and makes 7 mil, compared to 1.5?

He makes 1.5 MIL and we are talking about him like it's a 20 mil contract....this is stupid.

With their payroll of 118 last year likely rising significantly (according to Lerner---and in part due to future tv contracts), the 1.5 million is probably has no consequence.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Especially on Zimmerman

Zimmerman is signed long term.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Zimmerman is signed long term.

Sorry forgot the second M, I was referring to the pitcher who they have making less than 3 million more in his next arb raise despite an extremely strong season.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 12:32 PM

It seems like an obvious move, but the Nationals are hell bent on alienating Drew Storen, plus Mike Rizzo is easily the worst GM in the NL East.

Edit: Actually, that honor might go to Amaro. But I still dislike Rizzo.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
I would rank Rizzo slightly behind Wren. What are your issues with Rizzo?

BRule
08-20-2013, 01:13 PM
It seems like an obvious move, but the Nationals are hell bent on alienating Drew Storen, plus Mike Rizzo is easily the worst GM in the NL East.

Edit: Actually, that honor might go to Amaro. But I still dislike Rizzo.

Storen has been horrid this year, in previous years I would agree. Granted he signed Soriano off a very good year from Storen, so I see your point. I wouldn't hand Storen the job next year, I wouldn't bring Sori back, either.

As for NL East GM's

1- Wren
2- Sandy
3- Rizz
4- Rube
5-Whoever is in FL

Dunit24
08-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Storen has been horrid this year, in previous years I would agree. Granted he signed Soriano off a very good year from Storen, so I see your point. I wouldn't hand Storen the job next year, I wouldn't bring Sori back, either.

As for NL East GM's

1- Wren
2- Sandy
3- Rizz
4- Rube
5-Whoever is in FL

Hard to argue with the order of that list. Ive been impressed with Sandy, but Wren(even after throwing out some bad contracts to Uggla, Upton, Lowe, Kawakami) has put together one of the youngest and best teams in baseball.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

As for NL East GM's

1- Wren
2- Sandy
3- Rizz
4- Rube
5-Whoever is in FL

I'd actually go

1. Wren
2. Sandy
3. Hill (Marlins have done a good job with a horrible owner)
4. Rizzo
5. Amaro

Though really Amaro is a special class of terrible

thethe
08-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Alderson has benefitted from three things:

1. Matt Harvey being arguably the best pitcher in baseball
2. Having trade chips in Beltran/Dickey. He deserves a bunch of credit for getting those three players but he was trading premium talent for non-major league players
3. Expectations from the fanbase were nill so he could sit through sucking without having to worry about winning

Still a good GM but I think he is overrated.

conalthomas
08-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Key
© = Club option
MO = Mutual option

I think it's hilarious that the Nats owe Werth 21 million in 2016 and 17 million in 2017. He'll be what, 38? And they owe R. Zimmerman 18 million in 2019.

One of the things that disgusts me about baseball is the disparity in salaries. LA has a payroll that is TEN TIMES the size of the Houston payroll. It's ridiculous.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Werth contract is ridiculous.

Zimmerman one isn't too shabby considering they only 14 mil a year between 2014 and 2018, which are his 29-33 year old seasons.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 01:40 PM
I would rank Rizzo slightly behind Wren. What are your issues with Rizzo?

My number 1 is Sandy Alderson. I think what he's done with the Mets in terms of player development, the trade market, and team relations is textbook worthy.

As for Rizzo (although I will admit, he is definitely no Jim Bowden,) the main issue is my perception of his personality. For example: firing Rick Eckstein recently without even talking to Davey Johnson ahead of time. Also, I think the signings of Werth and Soriano were ill-advised. At the time I remember a lot of pundits saying that Werth was a high-priced signal to players (and the league) that the Nationals were around to spend and win. Still, they owe him $60MM from now until his age 38 season (2017.) And, with the exception of this season, he hasn't produced for them at all except in his role as Harper's 'mentor' and handler. I guess the Soriano signing bothers me the most -- mainly because he ousted a young, viable, and cheap option from closers role with little delicacy in the process, but also because Rizzo treated it as an icing on the cake move, "strengthening a strength," when it actually caused strife in the bullpen to the point where Tyler Clippard called out management (Rizzo) about a month ago for their handling of the Storen situation.

And then there's this:

"Cole Hamels says he's old school? He's the polar opposite of old school. He's fake tough," Rizzo said, according to the report. "He thinks he's going to intimidate us after hitting our 19-year-old rookie who's eight games into the big leagues? He doesn't know who he's dealing with.

"He thinks he's sending a message to us of being a tough guy. He's sending the polar opposite message. He says he's being honest, well, I'm being honest. It was a gutless chicken (bleep-bleeping) act," Rizzo added, according to the report. "That was a fake-tough act. No one has ever accused Cole Hamels of being old school."

"This goes beyond rivalry and all that stuff," Rizzo added. "This points to, you take the youngest guy in baseball. He's never done a thing. And then Hamels patted himself on the back. Harper's old school. Hitting him on the back, that ain't old school. That's (bleeping) chicken (bleep)."

NYCBrave
08-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Why would a team with a 1% chance of making the playoffs be worried about blocking someone?

jpx7
08-20-2013, 01:44 PM

John Turturro is the best.

BRule
08-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Why would a team with a 1% chance of making the playoffs be worried about blocking someone?

Well, I'm not sure if you're aware or not BUT there is baseball next year....and DeJesus contract runs through NEXT year.

conalthomas
08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, Werth contract is ridiculous.

Zimmerman one isn't too shabby considering they only 14 mil a year between 2014 and 2018, which are his 29-33 year old seasons.

Well, that depends on what happens next. He's a third baseman that has trouble throwing to first. They could move him to first, in which case his contract is even worse, but I agree that his contract isn't ridiculous.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Alderson has benefitted from three things:

1. Matt Harvey being arguably the best pitcher in baseball
2. Having trade chips in Beltran/Dickey. He deserves a bunch of credit for getting those three players but he was trading premium talent for non-major league players
3. Expectations from the fanbase were nill so he could sit through sucking without having to worry about winning

Still a good GM but I think he is overrated.

Nevertheless, you can't discount the environment that he walked into when he was named GM. **** was hostile. He hired Terry Collins. He didn't rush Harvey or Wheeler. He kept Wright. The Dickey trade may end up turning out to be a bigger steal than the Wheeler deal if Syndergaard's minor league numbers are any indication.

NYCBrave
08-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, I'm not sure if you're aware or not BUT there is baseball next year....and DeJesus contract runs through NEXT year.

Well then that's not considered blocking, that's considered they think he can help the team next year. The initial indication was they did this to block another team, which is proven by the fact they put him back on waivers....

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
My number 1 is Sandy Alderson. I think what he's done with the Mets in terms of player development, the trade market, and team relations is textbook worthy.

As for Rizzo (although I will admit, he is definitely no Jim Bowden,) the main issue is my perception of his personality. For example: firing Rick Eckstein recently without even talking to Davey Johnson ahead of time. Also, I think the signings of Werth and Soriano were ill-advised. At the time I remember a lot of pundits saying that Werth was a high-priced signal to players (and the league) that the Nationals were around to spend and win. Still, they owe him $60MM from now until his age 38 season (2017.) And, with the exception of this season, he hasn't produced for them at all except in his role as Harper's 'mentor' and handler. I guess the Soriano signing bothers me the most -- mainly because he ousted a young, viable, and cheap option from closers role with little delicacy in the process, but also because Rizzo treated it as an icing on the cake move, "strengthening a strength," when it actually caused strife in the bullpen to the point where Tyler Clippard called out management (Rizzo) about a month ago for their handling of the Storen situation.

And then there's this:

"Cole Hamels says he's old school? He's the polar opposite of old school. He's fake tough," Rizzo said, according to the report. "He thinks he's going to intimidate us after hitting our 19-year-old rookie who's eight games into the big leagues? He doesn't know who he's dealing with.

"He thinks he's sending a message to us of being a tough guy. He's sending the polar opposite message. He says he's being honest, well, I'm being honest. It was a gutless chicken (bleep-bleeping) act," Rizzo added, according to the report. "That was a fake-tough act. No one has ever accused Cole Hamels of being old school."

"This goes beyond rivalry and all that stuff," Rizzo added. "This points to, you take the youngest guy in baseball. He's never done a thing. And then Hamels patted himself on the back. Harper's old school. Hitting him on the back, that ain't old school. That's (bleeping) chicken (bleep)."

The reports I read said that Rizzo informed Davey that he was going to fire Eckstein. And Davey insisted he be the one to inform Eckstein. What is your source?

Werth was a bad contract.

I thought the Soriano signing made sense. Clippard (who is roommates with Storen) are obviously going to be upset about it because they each got knocked back an inning in their role. It was a move to strengthen the back end of the bullpen and didn't work because Storen changed his delivery on his own and imploded this year.

Rizzo's work in the draft, which is one of his strengths has been really good. The Gio trade was awesome for them. The Span trade was the right move, though he hasn't hit this year. Getting Krohl and AJ Cole for Morse was a great trade.

I'm not sure how to comment on the Cole Hamels comments. Hamels threw at Harper for no reason and the GM spoke his mind.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Well then that's not considered blocking, that's considered they think he can help the team next year. The initial indication was they did this to block another team, which is proven by the fact they put him back on waivers....

That doesn't "prove" anything. Teams put most, if not all of there players on waivers to keep their options open.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 02:11 PM
The reports I read said that Rizzo informed Davey that he was going to fire Eckstein. And Davey insisted he be the one to inform Eckstein. What is your source?

Werth was a bad contract.

I thought the Soriano signing made sense. Clippard (who is roommates with Storen) are obviously going to be upset about it because they each got knocked back an inning in their role. It was a move to strengthen the back end of the bullpen and didn't work because Storen changed his delivery on his own and imploded this year.

Rizzo's work in the draft, which is one of his strengths has been really good. The Gio trade was awesome for them. The Span trade was the right move, though he hasn't hit this year. Getting Krohl and AJ Cole for Morse was a great trade.

I'm not sure how to comment on the Cole Hamels comments. Hamels threw at Harper for no reason and the GM spoke his mind.

That's what I originally read in the Washington Post too, but then I came across an opinion piece a few days later written by a former columnist (or player) that basically tore into the Nationals as a team (attacking everyone from Bryce Harper, to Zimmerman, to Rizzo) and unless I'm greatly confused I'm fairly certain the column said Rizzo went to Davey the day of the firing with his decision and that Johnson's response was that he would resign before he allowed Eckstein to be fired. I guess, somehow, Rizzo talked him down. Schu was apparently Rizzo's hand-picked choice and Johnson had no input.

I can't find the original column for the life of me, but bits and pieces here: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/22/rick-eckstein-takes-fall-hitting-woes-nationals-pl/?page=all

Rizzo has had some good drafts for sure, but Strasburg and Harper (and even Storen) were no brainers.

And I think, for sure, Rizzo's heart was in the right place with his comments about Hamels/Harper, but there is no way he should've opened up that much publicly. Totally unprofessional, and would've resulted in a pink slip for about 95% of other individuals in a position like his.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Firing Eckstein had been talked about for weeks with Davey offering to save Eckstein (who he is close with) by stepping down himself.

Was it Mike Wise? http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/washington-nationals-have-plenty-of-blame-to-go-around-for-lost-season/2013/08/08/e0dd5828-004f-11e3-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html

They have every right to be ripped into bc the talent on that team is a 90+ win talent. The fault of the season rests on the players; mainly Storen, Laroche, Espinosa (though injured), Haren, Span, and the entire bench.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 02:26 PM
No, it wasn't him, but the tone was very similar ...

I remember it said something about the author writing the piece from a vacation? If that helps.

NYCBrave
08-20-2013, 02:41 PM
That doesn't "prove" anything. Teams put most, if not all of there players on waivers to keep their options open.

Examples of other teams ever claiming people on waivers and then putting them back on waivers? This isn't common...

jpx7
08-20-2013, 02:42 PM
""Cole Hamels says he's old school? He's the polar opposite of old school. [...] He thinks he's sending a message to us of being a tough guy. He's sending the polar opposite message. He says he's being honest, well, I'm being honest. It was a gutless chicken (bleep-bleeping) act," Rizzo added, according to the report.

Oh, oh: I know this one.

Rizzo : polar opposite :: Schuerholz : caliber

Dunit24
08-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Examples of other teams ever claiming people on waivers and then putting them back on waivers? This isn't common...

The Nats have money now so they can afford to throw away 2.5 mil here, and 2.5 mil there. Or thats what Ive been told.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Rosales was again designated for assignment on July 31, and on August 2, Rosales was claimed off waivers by the Texas Rangers.[5] Rosales did not appear in any games for the Rangers prior to being designated for assignment on August 5 to make room for Joey Butler. On August 8, Rosales was claimed by the Athletics.[6] Oakland once again designated him for assignment on August 10, and once again he was claimed by the Texas Rangers on August 12.[7]

But, I'm sure it happens often because not every player put on waivers is reported through the media. I can't think of specific examples, but htere have been players in the past few years that are claimed in August, only to move on to other teams by Sept 1.

NYCBrave
08-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Rosales was again designated for assignment on July 31, and on August 2, Rosales was claimed off waivers by the Texas Rangers.[5] Rosales did not appear in any games for the Rangers prior to being designated for assignment on August 5 to make room for Joey Butler. On August 8, Rosales was claimed by the Athletics.[6] Oakland once again designated him for assignment on August 10, and once again he was claimed by the Texas Rangers on August 12.[7]

But, I'm sure it happens often because not every player put on waivers is reported through the media. I can't think of specific examples, but htere have been players in the past few years that are claimed in August, only to move on to other teams by Sept 1.

Ok but surely nobody was claiming Rosales to block in the first place. The point was, it was suggested that the Nats did this move to block some other team. If that was the case, you wouldn't put the player back on waivers. End of story.

gilesfan
08-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Ok but surely nobody was claiming Rosales to block in the first place. The point was, it was suggested that the Nats did this move to block some other team. If that was the case, you wouldn't put the player back on waivers. End of story.

I never said they claimed him to block another team. But, if they did, they could still block the other team if the other team claims him from the Nats.

"Rizzo said on Monday that he still believes in the Nationals have a run in them. It would be certainly be an improbable one. Improving the bench was a target at the trade deadline, and he already made moves to do so, such as acquiring Scott Hairston and sending Tyler Moore to the minors. So adding DeJesus seems to make sense. So maybe the Nationals placed DeJesus on waivers to protect themselves and give themselves flexibility should they sink further in the wild-card standings and can send him to a contender."

NYCBrave
08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
I never said they claimed him to block another team. But, if they did, they could still block the other team if the other team claims him from the Nats.

"Rizzo said on Monday that he still believes in the Nationals have a run in them. It would be certainly be an improbable one. Improving the bench was a target at the trade deadline, and he already made moves to do so, such as acquiring Scott Hairston and sending Tyler Moore to the minors. So adding DeJesus seems to make sense. So maybe the Nationals placed DeJesus on waivers to protect themselves and give themselves flexibility should they sink further in the wild-card standings and can send him to a contender."

I'm going off of the initial comments on it being speculated they made the claim to block. Not sure what's so hard to understand here.

Dunit24
08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm going off of the initial comments on it being speculated they made the claim to block. Not sure what's so hard to understand here.

Only a delusional Nats fan wouldnt understand, lulz

BRule
08-20-2013, 04:53 PM

How's that not blocking? Teams can claim DeJesus if they want him for next year. Thus the Nats would be blocking a team from improving next year.

yeezus
08-20-2013, 05:31 PM

So they claimed DeJesus to block him from getting to a team NEXT season?
David DeJesus?
Seems pretty silly.

BRule
08-20-2013, 05:39 PM
So they claimed DeJesus to block him from getting to a team NEXT season?
David DeJesus?
Seems pretty silly.

So you either believe the Nats claimed him because they wanted him, to block someone from getting him or because they are stupid and wanted to claim for LULZ.

The latter seems rather unlikley and since they put him right back on waivers you'd assume they didn't want him...leaving us with one option....

Dunit24
08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
david dejesus sucks, so heres to hoping the nats keep him

BRule
08-20-2013, 06:27 PM
david dejesus sucks, so heres to hoping the nats keep him

Lovely set-up, thanks a ton!

DeJesus has a 1.8 WAR this year in 319 at bats

Chris Johnson has a 2.4 WAR in 410 at bats

If you project DeJesus WAR over the same playing time as Johnson, his WAR would be 2.3

drewdat
08-20-2013, 09:28 PM
He's platooning, and he's getting old.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 10:00 PM

If you project DeJesus WAR over the same playing time as Johnson, his WAR would be 2.3

Well over half his WAR is defense and baserunning which can quickly vanish.

Dunit24
08-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Well over half his WAR is defense and baserunning which can quickly vanish.

Yup and the Nats need hitting. That offense has been a disappointment. Defense and baserunning helps, but they need offense and DeJesus isnt your answer.

gilesfan
08-21-2013, 10:44 AM
OF course, he's not the answer, he's a 4th OFer.

Dunit24
08-21-2013, 10:59 AM

How's It Going Giles?

yeezus
08-21-2013, 05:35 PM
So you either believe the Nats claimed him because they wanted him, to block someone from getting him or because they are stupid and wanted to claim for LULZ.

The latter seems rather unlikley and since they put him right back on waivers you'd assume they didn't want him...leaving us with one option....

Teams don't typically claim a player to block them from another team for next season, especially a guy who, for most teams, would be an expensive 4th OFer.

They have no reason to block a team for this year because they are out of it, and there will be plenty of guys to pick up who be cheaper and/or better than DeJesus. I don't think it was particularly wise, and definitely not a shrewd move.

yeezus
08-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Exactly. So they were blocking a team from a getting a 4th outfielder..for next year?

yeezus
08-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Speaking of "lulz", here is the problem with WAR.

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Exactly. So they were blocking a team from a getting a 4th outfielder..for next year?

I've never said they were blocking another team.

50PoundHead
08-22-2013, 09:39 AM
All I know is that we could sure use DeJesus after the Heyward injury.

DeJesus is a nice player. He won't replicate his current contract in terms of dollars and it will be interesting to see where he ends up this off-season.

BRule
08-22-2013, 09:45 AM
50 truth bomb

BRule
08-22-2013, 11:05 AM
DeJesus gets claimed.

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
DeJesus gets claimed.

So if they really didn't want them, he cost them about a dollar fifty?

Shocking development I say.

BRule
08-22-2013, 11:23 AM
So if they really didn't want them, he cost them about a dollar fifty?

Shocking development I say.

Nats screwed up sooooooooooo badly, not sure they'll recover from this. They probably made up the fact that someone claimed him, ya know, since he sucks so much.

BRule
08-22-2013, 11:39 AM
DeJesus is heading to Tampa Bay

50PoundHead
08-22-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm not getting what the beef is here. Nats claimed DeJesus and he's a Nat in the short term as a result. Good player. Better than Bernadina. Nats are conceivably in the Wild Card race and have a terrible bench. They have the money to pay DeJesus for the remainder of the season. so adding DeJesus is logical. Or they are just blocking and put him on waivers again. Looks like a boneheaded move, but the downside is next to nil.

At any rate, the bottom line is DeJesus is a good player. Looks like he's going to end up with the Rays and he's a nice addition to that team's roster.

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 11:49 AM
DeJesus is heading to Tampa Bay

Confirmed yet? I see the Nats discussing what they would get for him and have option of pulling him back.

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN 15m
Davey's point: Guys get claimed every Aug., usually get pulled back. But if team offered something good for DeJesus, they'd make deal.

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN 17m
Davey downplays report of DeJesus waiver claim. "It's a normal practice. It's not like this is earth-shattering news."

Dunit24
08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm not getting what the beef is here. Nats claimed DeJesus and he's a Nat in the short term as a result. Good player. Better than Bernadina. Nats are conceivably in the Wild Card race and have a terrible bench. They have the money to pay DeJesus for the remainder of the season. so adding DeJesus is logical. Or they are just blocking and put him on waivers again. Looks like a boneheaded move, but the downside is next to nil.

At any rate, the bottom line is DeJesus is a good player. Looks like he's going to end up with the Rays and he's a nice addition to that team's roster.

...at the end of the day, we all were right. A move that didnt make much sense, but a move that was really low risk as I was told.

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 02:54 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/08/22/another-development-in-david-dejesus-status/

Exactly what I have said repeatedly.

The Nationals now have three options remaining: 1) Pull DeJesus back and keep him and his the remaining $2.5 million owed on his contract; 2) Allow the Rays to just take on DeJesus and his entire contract; 3) The two sides can work out a trade. ESPNChicago.com first reported that the Rays claimed DeJesus on Thursday morning.

It is standard practice for teams to place players on waivers, and the Nationals have placed everyone on waivers after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. That, however, doesn’t mean the player will be traded.

When the DeJesus trade was announced, the Nationals publicly said they were sending the Cubs a player to be named later. But, according to a person familiar with the deal, the Nationals are not sending a player and instead paying a small fraction of the waiver fee. So, if the Nationals trade DeJesus to the Rays, they could be adding a prospect without having lost one in the first place.

Dunit24
08-22-2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/08/22/another-development-in-david-dejesus-status/

Exactly what I have said repeatedly.

The Nationals now have three options remaining: 1) Pull DeJesus back and keep him and his the remaining $2.5 million owed on his contract; 2) Allow the Rays to just take on DeJesus and his entire contract; 3) The two sides can work out a trade. ESPNChicago.com first reported that the Rays claimed DeJesus on Thursday morning.

It is standard practice for teams to place players on waivers, and the Nationals have placed everyone on waivers after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. That, however, doesn’t mean the player will be traded.

When the DeJesus trade was announced, the Nationals publicly said they were sending the Cubs a player to be named later. But, according to a person familiar with the deal, the Nationals are not sending a player and instead paying a small fraction of the waiver fee. So, if the Nationals trade DeJesus to the Rays, they could be adding a prospect without having lost one in the first place.

We were arguing about nothing. You were exactly right and so was I. Yes, everything you said is exactly whats been going on, but my point was that it was an unnecessary/dumb move, which is also the case. I just didnt think he fit the Nats well off the bench if they kept him. If they allowed the Rays to take on his contract, then why the fug pick him up in the first place and say yall are going for it one last time...last but not least, I just think it will be hard for the Nats to get anything for Dejesus worth while with the money he will be making next season.

All in all, its much a do about nothing.

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 03:35 PM
So if they get a player for Dejesus, how was it a bad move?

If they decide to keep him, how is it a bad move?

Dunit24
08-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Read Above Post

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Why doesn't he fit off the bench? (which is the only excuse you have). Are there better 4th OFers that can back up CF?

ramadon101
08-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Irrespective of their intent, the Nationals are NOT getting a freaking prospect for DeJesus (unless they are picking up salary or something). Even then it'll qualify more as a warm body. Hardly a move I'd consider giving Rizzo props for.

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Irrespective of their intent, the Nationals are NOT getting a freaking prospect for DeJesus (unless they are picking up salary or something). Even then it'll qualify more as a warm body. Hardly a move I'd consider giving Rizzo props for.

I wouldn't give him big props for the move. But, getting a prospect....any prospect for nothing is a smart move.

drewdat
08-22-2013, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't give him big props for the move. But, getting a prospect....any prospect for nothing is a smart move.

They gave the Cubs a PTBNL. Reason would suggest that what they get wouldn't vary greatly from what they gave up.

gilesfan
08-22-2013, 09:01 PM
They gave the Cubs a PTBNL. Reason would suggest that what they get wouldn't vary greatly from what they gave up.

No, they didnt.

drewdat
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
No, they didnt.

Was this report (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/nationals-acquire-david-dejesus.html) incorrect?

The Nationals have acquired David DeJesus from the Cubs in exchange for a player to be named later, the team has announced via press release. The Nationals reportedly claimed DeJesus off waivers before working out a trade with Chicago. In order to clear roster space for their newest acquisition, the Nationals released fellow outfielder Roger Bernadina.

Dunit24
08-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Why doesn't he fit off the bench? (which is the only excuse you have). Are there better 4th OFers that can back up CF?

I would save that 6.5 million and bench spot and go after Mike Morse. Say what you want but the Nats miss his bat this year. Harper can slide over to CF and Morse to LF and the Nats would have a heck of a OF in Harper, Werth, Span, and Morse. There isnt much on the FA market thats better than DeJesus, but he doesnt exactly stand out either.

If the Braves had plenty of money and settled for DeJesus as our 4th OF, I wouldnt be happy. Maybe we value DeJesus differently, idk. I just think the Nats could do a lot better. If this was a trade that was simply to try and flip him, so be it. If they are just getting him and then eventually buying him out, so be it.

I dont think he would fit off the bench bc hes 34 yrs old, his game is baserunning and defense...The Nats need hitting and they could do better.

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Was this report (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/nationals-acquire-david-dejesus.html) incorrect?

Yes.

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 08:40 AM
The Nats need hitting and your propose signing Mike Morse and his .234/.289/.424?

50PoundHead
08-23-2013, 08:42 AM

I read a report that the Nats sent the Cubs cash instead of a player. Can't remember where I read that.

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 08:45 AM
I read a report that the Nats sent the Cubs cash instead of a player. Can't remember where I read that.

Nothing is concrete on how much they sent, but the speculation is they paid the waiver fee and the rest of Dejesus's contract this year.

BRule
08-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I would save that 6.5 million and bench spot and go after Mike Morse. Say what you want but the Nats miss his bat this year. Harper can slide over to CF and Morse to LF and the Nats would have a heck of a OF in Harper, Werth, Span, and Morse. There isnt much on the FA market thats better than DeJesus, but he doesnt exactly stand out either.

If the Braves had plenty of money and settled for DeJesus as our 4th OF, I wouldnt be happy. Maybe we value DeJesus differently, idk. I just think the Nats could do a lot better. If this was a trade that was simply to try and flip him, so be it. If they are just getting him and then eventually buying him out, so be it.

I dont think he would fit off the bench bc hes 34 yrs old, his game is baserunning and defense...The Nats need hitting and they could do better.

Where did you get 6.5 mil from? Doesn't he only make 1.5 next year?

Also, Morse is horrible and never healthy.

Hawk
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
They can buy out his contract for $1.5 million, but the option is a full $6.5 million.

drewdat
08-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Nothing is concrete on how much they sent, but the speculation is they paid the waiver fee and the rest of Dejesus's contract this year.

Fair enough then.

Dunit24
08-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Yes, I would take Morse over DeJesus anytime. Morse was a very good player for the Nats and they never should have let him go. That aside, I just dont think DeJesus is a good baseball player anymore. Bottom line is if you feel the Nats are a better team with DeJesus, thats okay, they might be..im just tired of discussing this over and over lets just agree to disagree and carry on regarding something else.

Hawk
08-23-2013, 12:30 PM
NationalsPR: The #Nationals today traded OF David DeJesus to TBR in exchange for a player to be named or cash considerations. [http://twitter.com/NationalsPR/status/370959816459423745]

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Yes, I would take Morse over DeJesus anytime. Morse was a very good player for the Nats and they never should have let him go. That aside, I just dont think DeJesus is a good baseball player anymore. Bottom line is if you feel the Nats are a better team with DeJesus, thats okay, they might be..im just tired of discussing this over and over lets just agree to disagree and carry on regarding something else.

Have you looked at Morse's numbers the past 2 years? Like at all?

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
NationalsPR: The #Nationals today traded OF David DeJesus to TBR in exchange for a player to be named or cash considerations. [http://twitter.com/NationalsPR/status/370959816459423745]

So they turned a straight waiver claim into a PTBNL or cash.

BRule
08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Boom.

Hawk
08-23-2013, 12:54 PM
The best thing to come out of this whole pointless fiasco: https://vine.co/v/hhrADaVEWjj

ramadon101
08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
So they turned a straight waiver claim into a PTBNL or cash.

Rizzo for GM of the year! Lol. Stupid waiver claim (they didn't think they'd get him ... be honest) and Rizzo lucked out some other team was willing to take him and his buyout next year.

Hawk
08-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Zuckerman has now completely back-tracked on his comment about the Cubs receiving cash from Washington. Looks like the Nats are indeed sending a player.

So, PTBNL for PTBNL. Rizzo gets lucky, looks stupid.

http://www.natsinsider.com/2013/08/dejesus-traded-to-tampa-bay.html

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Rizzo for GM of the year! Lol. Stupid waiver claim (they didn't think they'd get him ... be honest) and Rizzo lucked out some other team was willing to take him and his buyout next year.

I think you are wrong here. They have been after Dejesus the entire year. IT's been documented. Why would they be surprised?

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Zuckerman has now completely back-tracked on his comment about the Cubs receiving cash from Washington. Looks like the Nats are indeed sending a player.

So, PTBNL for PTBNL. Rizzo gets lucky, looks stupid.

http://www.natsinsider.com/2013/08/dejesus-traded-to-tampa-bay.html

The Nationals acquired DeJesus on Monday in a trade that was essentially a straight waiver claim, and then promptly placed him on revocable waivers, a standard move. Other teams were interested in DeJesus before the Nationals claimed the veteran outfielder on waivers, so it’s only logical contenders would still have interest in adding the left-handed hitter.

I also can't link Kilgore's piece, but he says the same. No player or cash (outside of waiver fee) to Cubs.

Hawk
08-23-2013, 02:15 PM
WaPo seems to be the only outlet reporting it was cash (straight waiver claim) although I tend to trust a guy like Kilgore more than Chastain.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/08/23/nationals-trade-david-dejesus-to-rays/

He does call it a 'waiver trade' which is incorrect terminology.

Official Nationals site also has PTBNL: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130823&content_id=58053108&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

We'll see, I guess.

drewdat
08-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Rizzo should probably just search for glass bottles and then turn them in for the 5 cents recycling incentive. Seems like a better use of time.

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 02:25 PM
WaPo seems to be the only outlet reporting it was cash (straight waiver claim) although I tend to trust a guy like Kilgore more than Chastain.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/08/23/nationals-trade-david-dejesus-to-rays/

He does call it a 'waiver trade' which is incorrect terminology.

Official Nationals site also has PTBNL: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130823&content_id=58053108&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

We'll see, I guess.

The Nationals acquired DeJesus from the Cubs merely by assuming the remainder of his salary.

Hawk
08-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Rizzo should probably just search for glass bottles and then turn them in for the 5 cents recycling incentive. Seems like a better use of time.

He could just hang around outside of Jim Bowden's bedroom window.

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Why, is he looking to trade pieces for a 15th toolsy outfielder?

Hawk
08-23-2013, 02:28 PM
The Nationals acquired DeJesus from the Cubs merely by assuming the remainder of his salary.

The Nationals acquired DeJesus on Monday in a waiver-wire trade with the Cubs, releasing outfielder Roger Bernadina to make room on their roster.

Not saying you are wrong, just noting the discrepancy.

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 02:43 PM
The Nationals acquired DeJesus on Monday in a waiver-wire trade with the Cubs, releasing outfielder Roger Bernadina to make room on their roster.

Not saying you are wrong, just noting the discrepancy.

The line i wrote was in the same article posted. Clearly it was a misprint earlier.

Krovahn
08-23-2013, 02:44 PM
DeJesus is wearing #7, Batting 7th and playing LF (7) tonight for the Rays.... apparently they want his nickname to be "Lucky 7's".

Hawk
08-23-2013, 03:05 PM
The line i wrote was in the same article posted. Clearly it was a misprint earlier.

Now, from the recently aforementioned Jimmy Bowden:

JimBowdenESPNxm: Nationals get DeJesus from Cubs for waiver claim cost…then turn him into a 22-year old LHP prospect as Rays take full salary/contract back [http://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/status/371000046319173633]

Dunit24
08-23-2013, 03:25 PM
So Bernadina for that Rays prospect is basically all that happened here at the end of the day?

Julio3000
08-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Why, is he looking to trade pieces for a slightly pudgy intern with low self-esteem?

Whoops, wrong former GM.