PDA

View Full Version : The Mess At Home

57Brave
08-20-2013, 12:38 PM
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. —

The DeKalb County schoolboard chairman says a there is an active shooter at McNair Elementary School.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/dekalb-police-chief-responds-incident-elementary-s/nZTRH/

goldfly
08-20-2013, 01:20 PM
uh, thought this thread would be about this:

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/08/20/1226700/916806-b2161dcc-0982-11e3-affc-ced01c385700.jpg

“They saw Christopher go by, and one of them said: ‘There’s our target,’” Ford said. “The boy who has talked to us said, ‘We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.’”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/three-teens-accused-of-murder-of-baseball-player-chris-lane-identified/story-fni0fiyv-1226700172461

57Brave
08-20-2013, 01:23 PM
uh, why would you think that?

goldfly
08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
uh, why would you think that?

cause it seems way more of a mess for a story to start a thread about over a story of someone that didn't kill anyone. seems like a stretch and a half to call that a "mess"

Tapate50
08-20-2013, 01:30 PM
uh, thought this thread would be about this:

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/08/20/1226700/916806-b2161dcc-0982-11e3-affc-ced01c385700.jpg

“They saw Christopher go by, and one of them said: ‘There’s our target,’” Ford said. “The boy who has talked to us said, ‘We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.’”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/three-teens-accused-of-murder-of-baseball-player-chris-lane-identified/story-fni0fiyv-1226700172461

Wow. The quotes from that article are jaw dropping. Yeah, nothing to see here folks!

thethe
08-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Pathetic. Our society is disgusting.

57Brave
08-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Numerous police are at the school and SWAT was there for a time. Thurmond said the suspect is a man in his mid-20s and didn't have an obvious connection to the school.

DeKalb County School Board Chairman Melvin Johnson told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://bit.ly/16t14iF) there were reports of shots being fired inside the building that houses students from pre-kindergarten to fifth grade.

"We're in the process of reuniting the children with their parents," said Mekka Parish, spokeswoman for the DeKalb County Police Department. "We're just trying to calm the nerves of parents."

Jonessia White, the mother of a kindergartner at the school, told AP she talked to her son's teacher shortly after most students were evacuated. White said the teacher told her they were still inside the building shortly after 2 p.m.

"When I hear he's safely out of the building, I'll be OK," White said, adding that she learned of the shooting when a friend called to say helicopters were hovering over the school.

goldfly
08-20-2013, 02:18 PM
http://www.panicfreaks.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31396&stc=1&d=1258313182

Hawk
08-20-2013, 02:39 PM
"They wanted to be Billy Bob Badasses," Chief Ford said yesterday.

jpx7
08-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Pathetic. Our society is disgusting.

If true, it's nothing new: the story reads a bit like Leopold & Loeb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_%26_loeb), sans the Nietzsche.

57Brave
08-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Atlanta (CNN) -- A man who opened fire at a Georgia elementary school Tuesday was armed with an AK-47 "and a number of other weapons," police said.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/20/us/georgia-school-gunshots/

"This thing came out for the best," said Dale Holmes, DeKalb County's assistant police chief. "Thank God no one was hurt -- not even the suspect."

/////////////////

except there was a nut armed with war weapons inside an elementary school with a ax to grind.
Who? Michael Brandon Hill, 20 (white male for those that endorse racial profiling)
What? The shooter barricaded himself in the school's front office
When? Aug 20, 2013
Where? Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy
Why? His motives -- no one knows. The WHY here is why was he able to arm himself?
Why do we have another unhinged person with war weapons in one of our elementary schools?

My guess is most of you will look at this and think -" nothing to see here" unless - you have a child in an elementary school

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Unless the weapon was his parents or someone close to him, he likely stole it or got it from someone who stole it. Criminals just find a way.

57Brave
08-22-2013, 09:55 AM
we find hero's in the strangest places. A school bookkeeper.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/georgia-school-shooting-call_n_3794415.html
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

He had an AK-47. Regardless of whether he stole it or was given permission -- why does a person in Dekalb County Ga have an AK-47 lying around?

50PoundHead
08-22-2013, 10:47 AM
we find hero's in the strangest places. A school bookkeeper.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/georgia-school-shooting-call_n_3794415.html
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

He had an AK-47. Regardless of whether he stole it or was given permission -- why does a person in Dekalb County Ga have an AK-47 lying around?

I have no problem with gun rights. People want to own guns, fine by me. Own a thousand if you want. But I agree with the basic sentiment of why would anyone believe that they might need an AK-47. That must be one helluva squirrel infestation.

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I have no problem with gun rights. People want to own guns, fine by me. Own a thousand if you want. But I agree with the basic sentiment of why would anyone believe that they might need an AK-47. That must be one helluva squirrel infestation.

AK is a cheap made easily obtainable weapon. For years people had them because it was enjoyable to shoot weapons of that ilk. It isn't accurate enough for squirrel hunting with much efficiency.

jpx7
08-22-2013, 01:12 PM
For years people had them because it was enjoyable to shoot weapons of that ilk..

It's enjoyable to shoot heroin and opiates of that ilk, as well. I presume it too should be "a cheap made easily obtainable" commodity?

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 03:17 PM
It's enjoyable to shoot heroin and opiates of that ilk, as well. I presume it too should be "a cheap made easily obtainable" commodity?

Is it? Not my cup of tea, but some people like their cucumbers pickled. I would have to take your word for price or obtainability, as I really no basis to start a assumtion in that dept.

They are obtainable for anyone that wants to search it out just like everything else on the planet. The government is unfortunately in the business of protecting people from themselves all too often and if someone puts their mind to something, you simply aren't going to stop it.

I take the road of extreme caution when implementing policies that limit freedom. Everyone should.

57Brave
08-22-2013, 03:27 PM
I would lean towards the freedom of the elementary school children, the lady that had to talk the guy down off the ledge and the parents that didnt know for an hour or so the condition of their kids.
So, we have to weigh the freedom of someone to leave an AK-47 lying around and the safety of the general population.

When I coached ball I learned that in the course of going to a length to accomodate one player (and family) I was impacting another in a negative way.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
////////////

In a nutshell -- it is the freedom of people to go about their daily lives vs the freedom to own a war weapon. Whereas, should one take a shot of heroin -- will the people of Dekalb County evacuate a school

jpx7
08-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I take the road of extreme caution when implementing policies that limit freedom. Everyone should.

I just want you to be consistent in the application of your "cheap made easily obtainable" standard for the legality of things.

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 03:54 PM
I would lean towards the freedom of the elementary school children, the lady that had to talk the guy down off the ledge and the parents that didnt know for an hour or so the condition of their kids.
So, we have to weigh the freedom of someone to leave an AK-47 lying around and the safety of the general population.

When I coached ball I learned that in the course of going to a length to accomodate one player (and family) I was impacting another in a negative way.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
////////////

In a nutshell -- it is the freedom of people to go about their daily lives vs the freedom to own a war weapon. Whereas, should one take a shot of heroin -- will the people of Dekalb County evacuate a school

That wasn't what I was referring to, but preach on since you love it so.

I am not in the business of telling people what they can and cannot do.

You are assuming someone let an AK laying around. I have not seen anything to that point yet.

I find it very interesting that no one was injured in this case, but the baby shooter (with a pistol) has nary a comment or these calls for banning. I wonder what the difference is and why you chose this case....

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
I just want you to be consistent in the application of your "cheap made easily obtainable" standard for the legality of things.

So what did I say should be illegal or legal? I was simply stating that an AK is a cheap, and easily obtainable weapon. Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess if you look hard enough for a fight, you will find it anywhere.

jpx7
08-22-2013, 04:00 PM

AK is a cheap made easily obtainable weapon. For years people had them because it was enjoyable to shoot weapons of that ilk. It isn't accurate enough for squirrel hunting with much efficiency.

Your post, an explicit response to 50's, is either (a) a fairly obvious justification for personal "AK47" ownership (the absurdity of which was the demonstrable subject of 50's post) or (b) a fairly obvious example of a total non-sequitur that adds (effectively) nothing to the conversation. I assumed – I think for fairly obvious reasons – that it was the former.

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Did you know that Aks are cheap and pretty easily obtainable? If so, bully for you but since this board is so different than me and my upbringing I assumed most did not. I guess people see what they want to see and assume that is (effectively) "nothing to add". Like I said, it seems you were very anxious to make a point regardless.

50PoundHead
08-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info Tapate50. I had no idea AK-47's were cheap and readily available. I would have thought the opposite, but seeing I don't own a gun (but don't care if others do), I don't go out and price them a lot. I just know what I see in the Cabela's ads.

I think "they are fun to shoot" is all that good of a reason for ownership and I don't think I'm anti-fun. But again, if it's not illegal, I'm not going to bark about it. I'm just wondering about the utility of the weapon other than fun and possible mayhem.

Tapate50
08-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the info Tapate50. I had no idea AK-47's were cheap and readily available. I would have thought the opposite, but seeing I don't own a gun (but don't care if others do), I don't go out and price them a lot. I just know what I see in the Cabela's ads.

I think "they are fun to shoot" is all that good of a reason for ownership and I don't think I'm anti-fun. But again, if it's not illegal, I'm not going to bark about it. I'm just wondering about the utility of the weapon other than fun and possible mayhem.
Wondering the merits of such is not crazy. In Ga, you don't have to have a bill of sale if purchased from another owner, but I'd bet some good money it was stolen . They usually are.

jpx7
08-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Did you know that Aks are cheap and pretty easily obtainable?

I honestly did assume most people were aware of that fact — but maybe that's a result of my having grown up in northwest Florida, where people love the hell out of their guns.

Julio3000
08-23-2013, 12:26 PM
I've got to arch an eyebrow at the guy who suggests that free and easy purchase of assault rifles is a freedom that shouldn't be limited also saying "criminals will just find a way."

57Brave
08-23-2013, 01:17 PM
"He's a hurting soul, and so if there's any kind of way I can help him and allow him to get on the right path – we all go through something," she said during the interview.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/23/michael-brandon-hill-georgia_n_3803437.html

Yeah --- the weapon is a major issue but it seems hearing of people with firearms threatening schools seems to be confined to the USA'
Wonder why that is?

Why do our people hurt this way - this is twice in a little over 6 months

Tapate50
08-23-2013, 04:16 PM
I've got to arch an eyebrow at the guy who suggests that free and easy purchase of assault rifles is a freedom that shouldn't be limited also saying "criminals will just find a way."arch away, but toward whom?

Tapate50
08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Suspect is mentally ill per news today.

57Brave
08-23-2013, 04:27 PM
world is filled with mentally ill people - but it seems the only place in the world armed mentally ill people go into schools and threaten lives is USA .

guns and race aside
Why / how do we deserve that distinction?

Julio3000
08-23-2013, 04:38 PM
arch away, but toward whom?

Anyone who suggests letting Chip Caray walk into a house that had lines of cocaine laid out on every available surface, then throws up his hands and says "oh, well, drug addicts are going to find a way" when he discovers Chip in the house practicing his cold opens at 2.5X speed and humping the furniture.

Tapate50
08-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Anyone who suggests letting Chip Caray walk into a house that had lines of cocaine laid out on every available surface, then throws up his hands and says "oh, well, drug addicts are going to find a way" when he discovers Chip in the house practicing his cold opens at 2.5X speed and humping the furniture.

Chip has ****ty parents.

But I haven't suggested that either

VOLracious
08-26-2013, 01:29 AM
world is filled with mentally ill people - but it seems the only place in the world armed mentally ill people go into schools and threaten lives is USA .

guns and race aside
Why / how do we deserve that distinction?

We're the only place in the world with your brand of liberalism. thethe got it right. The culture sucks. You and your ilk are responsible! Deal with it.

57Brave
08-26-2013, 07:22 AM
will you be more specific?

Julio3000
08-26-2013, 07:45 AM
The problem: easy access to guns.

The cause: liberals.

Yep. I'm interested to see the reasoning behind this one.

goldfly
08-26-2013, 07:48 AM
The problem: easy access to guns.

The cause: liberals.

Yep. I'm interested to see the reasoning behind this one.

uh, listening to the NRA, i thought the problem was "Not enough guns"?

57Brave
08-26-2013, 07:53 AM
In fairness Julio mental illness is too a huge part of the problem.
However, the people that yell the loudest about gun rights trip over themselves to defund metal health care assistance / diagnosis

Those are surface issues though that most everyone can agree on. What are the underlying issues of our society that makes one go shoot up a Shiite Temple or hole up in a grade school armed to the teeth?? Or even go back a generation -- lynch another human or go back further commit genocide on Native Americans.

Seems like a pattern --- when / how do we break that pattern?
Why are these even options?

Tapate50
08-26-2013, 08:13 AM
The targeting of schools has got to be one of the most troubling developments of the issue. In the past, it must have been unimaginable to target children in such a manner. What changed? Have we evolved to being so senseless to target children in this sort delusions?

57Brave
08-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Taken from yesterdays ceremonies at the Lincoln Memorial was this little known fact:

" easier to buy assault rifle than vote. 33 states allow gun purchase w/o ID. 0 allow vote"
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/29/clintons_line_was_true_the_sad_facts_about_assault _weapons_and_voting/

57Brave
08-29-2013, 09:06 AM
"""Every Republican who was invited to speak yesterday the 50th anniversary of The March on Washington declined due to "scheduling conflict." """

Don't know about anyone else but that troubles me. On many levels

Tapate50
08-29-2013, 09:14 AM
OMG!

57Brave
08-29-2013, 09:49 AM
OMG!

Another well thought out Thursday morning comment. Can't wait to see Fridays -- probably along the lines of Fox and MSNBC are the same or Bush and Obama the same ...

57Brave
08-29-2013, 09:54 AM
National fast food strike hits dozens of cities
Ned Resnikoff, @resnikoff
8:00 AM on 08/29/2013

Twitter196
Facebook120

Protesting fast food workers fill a McDonald's restaurant on New York's Fifth Avenue, Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013. (Photo by Richard Drew/AP)

Protesting fast food workers fill a McDonald’s restaurant on New York’s Fifth Avenue, Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013. (Photo by Richard Drew/AP)

Fast food workers staged a nationwide strike across dozens of American cities on Thursday morning, demanding a $15 per hour wage and the right to form a union. The strike, which is believed to be the largest in the industry’s history, included work stoppages in regions of the country which had never seen concentrated fast food labor activism before.

Roughly 50 cities are affected by the strikes. Cities that have struck before and are striking again include New York, Chicago, St.Louis, Seattle, and Detroit. But far more cities are experiencing their first strike ever, including cities from Hartford, Conn., to Dallas, Texas, to Berkeley Calif.

Growing national news coverage and social media buzz helped to fuel the strikes, according to workers and organizers.

“I’ve been watching the news, and I saw that a lot of fast food workers were organizing over the country,” said Willietta Dukes, a Burger King employee in Durham, North Carolina. “And I felt like it was high time that I be heard.” Thursday’s fast food strike is the first to occur in Durham.

The last major labor action in the fast food industry occurred one month prior, when workers and activists from seven cities engaged in a series of rolling work stoppages over four days. That week of action was essentially a regional phenomenon: the participating cities, except for New York, were all based in the Midwest. This time, all of the strikes have been condensed into twenty-four hours, and are sweeping across all corners of the continental United States.

That includes the South, a region which presents unique challenges for the burgeoning low-wage workers movement. Organized labor is far weaker in the American South than in any of the regions where fast food strikes have previously occurred. Union density tends to be significantly lower in southern states, and many of them have right-to-work laws on the books, the result being that much of the region the local union infrastructure which was able to help organize previous strikes.

“The fact that workers are going to strike is a sign of a significant turning point in the movement. It’s really gone national,” Columbia University professor Dorian Warren told CNN.

The traditional stumbling blocks to labor organizing in the South have not seriously impeded the fast food campaign, according to organizers.

“You would think it would be very hard to organize, because [North Carolina] is a right-to-work state and because people have been living under fear of being fired for the most minute issue … but to be honest with you, people are just fed up,” said Corine Mac, a Charlotte-based community organizer affiliated with the NAACP, Center for Community Change and the A. Phillip Randolph Institute.

North Carolina has the lowest union density in the country, with fewer than 3% of workers paying union dues.

Dearius Merritt, a striking Church’s Chicken assistant manager in Memphis, Tenn., also described fast food workers in his city as “fed up.”

“They’re tired of coming to work and having to work eight hours, nine hours, and them coming home and they can barely provide for their kids,” he said. When asked whether he was afraid of retaliation from management, he shrugged the question off, saying, “It’s bigger than me and it’s bigger than the workers that are standing up. It’s not just going to help my generation, it’s going to help the next generation that’s going to come, and the generation after that.”

While the fast food movement has received some assistance from traditional union outfits—with the large Service Employees International Union acting as a particularly key supporter—it has never relied entirely on established channels for labor organizing. The very first fast food workers strike, which occurred in late November, was put together in large part by the community group New York Communities for Change. Subsequent strikes have received crucial support from grassroots progressive groups, churches, and other non-union institutions.

The week of action which began on July 29 seems to have been a turning point in the movement, as it was the first fast food workers’ action to receive significant national coverage. Rev. Herbert Lester, who helped organize workers in Memphis through the Workers Interfaith Network, said that the week of action galvanize workers in his city.

“We started reading and hearing about what other people in other parts of the country were doing, and the whole thing kind of coalesced as people did get together and talk about what was happening,” he said.

Tapate50
08-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Grab a student loan, and get a degree. Problem solved.

57Brave
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
yeah just like that!

Care to venture a guess how many people flipping burgers at Burger King qualify for a loan of any kind?
Which kinda is the problem. Your solution is a Catch-22

Tapate50
08-29-2013, 10:25 AM
yeah just like that!

Care to venture a guess how many people flipping burgers at Burger King qualify for a loan of any kind?
Which kinda is the problem. Your solution is a Catch-22

Um, Looks pretty simple to me.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/FSA-Eligibility-11.16.12.png

Facts, they really pigeon hole a good race\class baiting.

57Brave
08-29-2013, 10:29 AM
The longer one lives one see's things really aren't "simple as that"
with that phrase right besides "The check is in the mail" and "I won't cum in your mouth"

My guess the majority of people working fast food (outside of students!) are people with families, people without high school degrees or GED's, people ineligible for any kind of loan because of past financial indiscretions and last but not least people recently released from prison. I wouldn't necessarily call this race / class baiting but on the surface I can see how you come to that conclusion.
Not sure how the person who sends jobs overseas making $100K+ takes the moral high ground when going through drive thru at McD getting being waited on by someone making minimum wage when, in fact that customer shipped manufacturing jobs overseas precludes this person from having a meaningful blue collar job.
Not sure you understand Blue Collar Jobs -- and what they are and where they are in 2013

Have a nice Labor Day

Tapate50
08-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Have a nice Labor Day

You too!

57Brave
08-29-2013, 12:41 PM
"""Every Republican who was invited to speak yesterday the 50th anniversary of The March on Washington declined due to "scheduling conflict." """

Don't know about anyone else but that troubles me. On many levels

I know it is rude to quote yourself but ... WCIS.
Came across this:

When House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) declined to speak at the March on Washington 50th anniversary rally Wednesday, he was choosing instead to meet with a North Dakota oil and gas lobby group, The Washington Post reports.
////
Wasn't Mitt handed his hat for saying "business' are people too my friend?"