7. Travis d'Arnaud (R) C
8. Omar Quintanilla (L) SS
9. Zack Wheeler (L) P

Tapate50
08-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Uggla taking BP today for the first time since LASIK

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Schafer has done nothing to show he's earned the spot or majority PT.

I'd still rather have BJ in there despite his struggles.

Dunit24
08-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Uggla taking BP today for the first time since LASIK

Im anxious to see if it helps him any. A lot have given up on him and rightfully so. His numbers suck, but im holding out a little hope that his vision going from 20/30 to 20/15 will help him. We shall see!

Hawk
08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
I'd still rather have BJ in there despite his struggles.

Same. I enjoy watching Schafer play, but BJ needs ABs.

thethe
08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
I think they are trying to show a message to BJ. He needs to completely change his approach or he just isn't going to get many AB's. Its a little dicey with Justin being one of our best players.

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 03:22 PM
There isn't anyhting wrong with BJ's approach TBH.

He just isn't making contact. That's not an approach, that's something physical.

He takes borderline pitches he thinks are balls, and he also takes a lot of 3rd strikes. But a lot of his depressing AB's have resulted in him striking out swinging at anything whether it be a fastball or change or curve.

I hope his vision problems aren't same as McCann, Uggla, Freeman. There just must be something wrong in Turner Field where our guys keep needing lasik.

bravesnumberone
08-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Jordan has had a grand total of two bad games at the plate since he came off the DL, And even the other night, when he was 0-5, he drew a couple of walks. BJ had a good road trip after coming back and a horrible homestand. I don't think either has really done anything to "earn" the spot. Maybe he's just going off matchups? BJ probably needs to be in there, but what good does it do when he does the same **** over and over and over?

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Jordan has had a grand total of two bad games at the plate since he came off the DL, And even the other night, when he was 0-5, he drew a couple of walks. BJ had a good road trip after coming back and a horrible homestand. I don't think either has really done anything to "earn" the spot. Maybe he's just going off matchups? BJ probably needs to be in there, but what good does it do when he does the same **** over and over and over?

We're stuck with BJ long term, so if he's going to be playing for us, we need to ride with him as long as we can.

Schafer has no guaranteed future with us after this year. We're 15.5 up on a guaranteed 5 game playoff series, I'd say we could feasibly experiment and take a risk by having BJ in there. I mean we've been playing well without him this entire time, so it wouldn't hurt that much to put him back in right?

mfree80
08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Schafer has no guaranteed future with us after this year.

I believe I read on here that Schafer is still in his Arby years, so if they Braves want to keep him they can. He would have to be traded or released in order to move on. He would have some trade value, but I can see the Braves wanting to. Keep him.

bravesnumberone
08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
We're stuck with BJ long term, so if he's going to be playing for us, we need to ride with him as long as we can.

Schafer has no guaranteed future with us after this year. We're 15.5 up on a guaranteed 5 game playoff series, I'd say we could feasibly experiment and take a risk by having BJ in there. I mean we've been playing well without him this entire time, so it wouldn't hurt that much to put him back in right?

Yeah, BJ is obviously the long term guy in CF, but you could easily just as well say we're using the lead to showcase Schafer for a potential offseason trade. Of course that doesn't do all that great, if he scuffles. I think Fredi's focus has moved beyond the division and to getting homefield advantage because clearly we're a much better home team than road team. Right now, Schafer is doing more to help us win ball games.

I want BJ to succeed because we are stuck with him, but his salary alone shouldn't just pencil him as an every day starter. You still have to earn it to a certain degree.

Tapate50
08-20-2013, 03:44 PM
There isn't anyhting wrong with BJ's approach TBH.

He just isn't making contact. That's not an approach, that's something physical.

He takes borderline pitches he thinks are balls, and he also takes a lot of 3rd strikes. But a lot of his depressing AB's have resulted in him striking out swinging at anything whether it be a fastball or change or curve.

I hope his vision problems aren't same as McCann, Uggla, Freeman. There just must be something wrong in Turner Field where our guys keep needing lasik.

I don't know, watching him pinch hit and tap it to SS the other night was tough. I wanted to scream at the screen "ONE GD PITCH?!?!" . I mean coming up cold, after not hitting all year... take a frickin pitch dude.

I feel like he has lost any idea of the zone, coupled with guessing very wrong.

PawPawMaxwell
08-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Shafer will be arb eligible for first time in 14. Dont see the Braves riding him thru that with BJ anchoring down CF and Heyward more than capable.
Even a trade can be iffy if we make a long run thru the playoffs and have to make quick decision about tenders and non-tenders.

bravesnumberone
08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah, we seem to have a couple guys who have yet to grasp the concept of not swinging at the first pitch frequently.

One other thing about Fredi, I think he's likely using a strict platoon even if he says he isn't.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
I have absolutely no problem at all with Schafer playing over BJ. They said on the broadcast the other day that perhaps the Braves were getting a little preturbed that BJ wasn't really making the necessary adjustments.

mfree80
08-20-2013, 03:52 PM
They also said that BJ understood why he was losing AB's and knows he has to prove himself to get it back.

bravesnumberone
08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Once he stops swinging through 88 mph fast balls or just watching them go by, he'll be starting in no time. Another thing is keeping his front foot away from the third base dugout. If he could just correct those two things, he'd probably take off and catch fire.

gtcway
08-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Maybe this has been said already, but this is the perfect time for BJ to be out there trying to get his act together. We're what, 15 games up on the Nats. Get him out there to try to figure out how to hit in time for the postseason.

Enscheff
08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
I have to agree. These mostly meaningless games are precisely the time you keep running your $90M investment out there to see if he can get back on track.

bravesnumberone
08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Maybe he'll hit a pinch hit bomb to win the game tonight. Might as well call it now.

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 04:06 PM
I have absolutely no problem at all with Schafer playing over BJ. They said on the broadcast the other day that perhaps the Braves were getting a little preturbed that BJ wasn't really making the necessary adjustments.

That's strange because Bobby or Fredi or JS or Wren have ever publicly called out any player like that.

It might be smoke and mirror. IDK

Bdawg2309
08-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Maholm starting Thursday ... On the road vs the cards..yikes

Chico
08-20-2013, 05:13 PM
These games are not meaningless. We need to be focused on home-field advantage.

emk418
08-20-2013, 05:15 PM
We obviously should not mess with our lineup right now but if Schafer is going to play everyday I would love to put him 2nd and Justin 4th.

stpeteirish
08-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Its not like BJ isn't playing. He's in a platoon, when he starts hitting he'll usurp Schafer in a matter of days. If he never starts hitting, you guys still want him in there?

There's gotta be some performance to get playing time. Same goes with Schafer.

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Its not like BJ isn't playing. He's in a platoon, when he starts hitting he'll usurp Schafer in a matter of days. If he never starts hitting, you guys still want him in there?

There's gotta be some performance to get playing time. Same goes with Schafer.

We don't face as many lefties as we do righties... so platooning him would be stupid.

I'd like to see BJ be somewhat contributive by the time October comes because Fredi would be insane to start Schafe over him in postseason.

I'd give Schafer 1/3 starts against righties, and BJ everything lefties and other 2/3 against righties.

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Braves:

6. Jordan Schafer (L) CF

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q89/534031_552543568145401_627309525_n.jpg

:fredi:

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
I guess I don't understand why so many of you who advocated shoving Dan Uggla in front of a firing squad are wanting the only guy who's been worse all year to get to play. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely curious...

Hulavol
08-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Am really excited to see Beachy again tonight. I suspect that he will look pretty much like an ace.

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 05:38 PM
I guess I don't understand why so many of you who advocated shoving Dan Uggla in front of a firing squad are wanting the only guy who's been worse all year to get to play. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely curious...

I want to see Uggla play for a bit longer. That said, BJ didn't even get half a year of sucking before Fredi started treating him like a good decision (something to be avoided). Uggla hasn't been treated like that yet.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Justin Upton late scratch from the lineup with an upper back strain.
Simmons now batting 2nd and playing SS
Everyone else moves down one with Gattis playing LF.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 05:43 PM
I want to see Uggla play for a bit longer. That said, BJ didn't even get half a year of sucking before Fredi started treating him like a good decision (something to be avoided). Uggla hasn't been treated like that yet.

That is true. I really wonder what happened after he got his contacts on that last road trip to make him go so bad again. At first I thought maybe he just left them in Atlanta, but then he got back and sucked too. I hope that both their issues can be solved before October, but at least Uggla has something diagnosable.

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Justin Upton late scratch from the lineup with an upper back strain.
Simmons now batting 2nd and playing SS
Everyone else moves down one with Gattis playing LF.

Unbelievable.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 05:44 PM
New Braves lineup
Heyward RF
Simmons SS
Freeman 1B
Gattis LF
McCann C
Johnson 3B
Schafer LF
Janish 2B
Beachy P

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Having a hard time understanding this move. When is it ever going to be a better time to get BJ going then now?

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 05:47 PM
That is true. I really wonder what happened after he got his contacts on that last road trip to make him go so bad again. At first I thought maybe he just left them in Atlanta, but then he got back and sucked too. I hope that both their issues can be solved before October, but at least Uggla has something diagnosable.

BJ also has something Uggla doesn't have, skills that don't slump - speed and defense. It is ridiculous to treat him like this so early in his Braves career.

thethe
08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
BJ also has something Uggla doesn't have, skills that don't slump - speed and defense. It is ridiculous to treat him like this so early in his Braves career.

Yeah, I'm frustrated with him but you can't just give up on a 75 million dollar investment. This doesn't feel good to me.

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm frustrated with him but you can't just give up on a 75 million dollar investment. This doesn't feel good to me.

Sure doesn't

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 05:50 PM
I guess it has to be because of what the commentators were alluding to. Maybe he doesn't want to make adjustments. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just feel like if one has been treated like this and the other hasn't, there's gotta be a reason why. Although BJ didn't help himself by not hustling after that triple in Philly...

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I guess it has to be because of what the commentators were alluding to. Maybe he doesn't want to make adjustments. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just feel like if one has been treated like this and the other hasn't, there's gotta be a reason why. Although BJ didn't help himself by not hustling after that triple in Philly...

Fredi is the main reason the Braves traded for Uggla. Fredi is the reason Uggla is treated differently than BJ.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Fredi is the main reason the Braves traded for Uggla. Fredi is the reason Uggla is treated differently than BJ.

Not necessarily, you seem to forget that Fredi benched Uggla for a time down the stretch last year when he was struggling mightily.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
I will say that while neither of them have done much positive, Uggla's 21 HR may have kept him from being team goat for a while. I do think he agreed to LASIK to keep from being benched.

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Not necessarily, you seem to forget that Fredi benched Uggla for a time down the stretch last year when he was struggling mightily.

That was after more than a full year with the team. BJ was benched (and juggled around in the lineup) the first time on day 9. 9! Dan didn't get benched for even a day until the middle of July.

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
That day in July, by the way, was the only day Dan had off all year.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:12 PM
That was after more than a full year with the team. BJ was benched (and juggled around in the lineup) the first time on day 9. 9! Dan didn't get benched for even a day until the middle of July.

I do think BJ can be a hard guy to slot in a lineup. He doesn't walk enough to lead off, doesn't go the other way enough to hit in the 2-hole...he's a hard guy to put in one specific slot. That was true before he went completely in the crapper.

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 06:16 PM
I do think BJ can be a hard guy to slot in a lineup. He doesn't walk enough to lead off, doesn't go the other way enough to hit in the 2-hole...he's a hard guy to put in one specific slot. That was true before he went completely in the crapper.

When a player lacks consistency, a manager can help by creating consistency in the areas they can control. Lineup. Playing time. Practice. etc etc

Hawk
08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
No, Chip, it wasn't Angel Pagan for Zack Wheeler. It was Beltran.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
When a player lacks consistency, a manager can help by creating consistency in the areas they can control. Lineup. Playing time. Practice. etc etc

Help me out here.Are you blaming Fredi for Bj's struggles?

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Meh

Hawk
08-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Gattis with a mini-howitzer out there.

thethe
08-20-2013, 06:26 PM

I wouldn't blame Fredi per se but I don't think he is doing what he should to help him get out of it.

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 06:26 PM
No, Chip, it wasn't Angel Pagan for Zack Wheeler. It was Beltran.

Seriously?

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 06:27 PM

Obviously, something is off with BJ. That is one issue. Fredi is not giving him the opportunity to get out there and work through it when we have a 15+ game lead in the division. That is another issue.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't blame Fredi per se but I don't think he is doing what he should to help him get out of it.

Let me ask you this; I'm assuming that so many people are advocating BJ playing bc o the commanding lead the Braves have in the division. If it were a tight race, would you still advocate playing him? Again, I'm not wanting to be argumentative, I'm just curious...

thethe
08-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Let me ask you this; I'm assuming that so many people are advocating BJ playing bc o the commanding lead the Braves have in the division. If it were a tight race, would you still advocate playing him? Again, I'm not wanting to be argumentative, I'm just curious...

Thats a good question. I would probably go with a straight platoon unless BJ started showing some more. But if both start to not hit then I would go with BJ full time.

thethe
08-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Thats a bad play by Freeman. He needs to catch that.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Seriously?

He corrected himself after the commercial break. IIRC the Braves were in on the Beltran sweepstakes too, the Mets wanted none other than Mike Minor.

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Cmon Fredito

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 06:34 PM
He corrected himself after the commercial break. IIRC the Braves were in on the Beltran sweepstakes too, the Mets wanted none other than Mike Minor.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/null_zpse43af80b.jpg

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Jon Heyman just tweeted Chase Headley just went on waivers...

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Can he go back to defensive replacement please

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Can he go back to defensive replacement please

He sure does hit like one, doesn't he?

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Little slow in here tonight. I wonder if this is what the scout board feels like all the time...

thethe
08-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Heyward is just unbelievable in RF.

Hawk
08-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Sick.

Julio3000
****ing ridiculous.

thethe
Little slow in here tonight. I wonder if this is what the scout board feels like all the time...

No, we have a GDT!!!

parkvadawg
He is good

chopdrew
LOL. In that instance, the GD could stand for two things...

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 06:45 PM
He sure does hit like one, doesn't he?

I don't follow the minors like I should but Gosselen (sp) had got to be better right?

Hawk
08-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Nice fastball by Beachy there at 93.

BremanFan88
08-20-2013, 06:47 PM
I don't follow the minors like I should but Gosselen (sp) had got to be better right?
He had a sub .700 OPS in AAA so not really.

thethe
08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Beachy has looked good today. His location is more precise than it has been in all his other starts.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Beachy has looked good today. His location is more precise than it has been in all his other starts.

That's good. I have my doubts about Meds as the #3 in the postseason...

thethe
08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow, Gattis looks awful right now. So sad.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Gamecast made that foul look like it was 8 rows back. Obviously not the case.

He'll be ok. I think he's been rushed to the big leagues a good bit. He's gotta keep making adjustments. His sample size isn't near big enough to render a verdict yet...

emk418
08-20-2013, 07:02 PM

He needs AB's. He's fine.

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Paul Janish at bat
A dry twig tossed into flame
Consumed in seconds

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
That's good. I have my doubts about Meds as the #3 in the postseason...

I have doubts if he even loves the number 3.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Jon Heyman just tweeted Chase Headley just went on waivers...

Someone will claim him and a trade won't go down.

weso1
08-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey guys! Let's go team.

thethe
08-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Beachy has been great today. Wonderful sign.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm afraid until they get Wheeler out of the game the Braves aren't going to get crap.

thethe
08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm afraid until they get Wheeler out of the game the Braves aren't going to get crap.

We just have too many hitters who aren't hitting right now.

ChapelHillMatt
08-20-2013, 07:35 PM
There is that terrible fielder making yet another good defensive play.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 07:36 PM
We just have too many hitters who aren't hitting right now.

Well they are also being hurt by a very weak bottom of the lineup now without Uggla. Paul Janish is pretty much an automatic out.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Well they are also being hurt by a very weak bottom of the lineup now without Uggla. Paul Janish is pretty much an automatic out.

He's so frustrating to watch....

Bdawg2309
08-20-2013, 07:52 PM
why does this team suck so much vs the mets?

Hulavol
08-20-2013, 07:54 PM
error city....

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 07:54 PM
This game is over

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
why does this team suck so much vs the mets?

Honestly man, they haven't really been hitting that good lately. Thank god our pitching was decent and the Nats suck...

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Looks like the Braves took two off days this week instead just the one, because they look awful tonight.

skidlee
08-20-2013, 07:56 PM

we have about 3 auto outs right now

Janish
Gattis
Pitcher

thethe
08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Beach has NOTHING on his fastball right now.

Lville21
08-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Well, it's a good thing the Mets aren't making the playoffs.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Get home and see that the Braves are going to lose another game to the Mets. What is this spell the Mets have over the Braves?

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Well, fortunately its a quick turnaround, just forget about this fiasco and come back and win tomorrow.

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Well, fortunately its a quick turnaround, just forget about this fiasco and come back and win tomorrow.

This game isn't over yet sir.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Game isn't over with yet but the fat lady is warming up.

weso1
08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Now that was a great AB by Heyward.

jpack1
08-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Really wish J Up was in there.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Honestly....his best 1 in a while. Very patient

emk418
Simmons will come through.

Julio3000
He's seeing the ball...and being pitched carefully. Full counts all night.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Chances of Simmons getting a hit here? 000000000000000.1%. Hell, I'll call it right now. Simmons pops up the 1st pitch to the SS.

Garmel
I don't want to see a first pitch popup.

parkvadawg

I know he's been really awful lately........

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
He's seeing the ball...and being pitched carefully. Full counts all night.

I think he has seen over 24 pitches today.

Julio3000
Wheeler-dealer, huh, Chip?

7th inning and Chip's wondering where his dealer at.

david55
Yes it was!!!!

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:18 PM
TRON!!!!!!

AUTiger7222
HOLY WOW!!! SIMBA DID GET A HIT!!!!

thethe
I can't believe that some of our fans are still giving up on our team this year. We never die!

jpack1
That a boy Simba.

weso1
08-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Chances of Simmons getting a hit here? 000000000000000.1%. Hell, I'll call it right now. Simmons pops up the 1st pitch to the SS.

welp

emk418

Great prediction.

Julio3000
Jason is money in the bank to score from first on a double.

AUTiger7222

Really? Didn't Heyward have a 2 homerun game the other night?

weso1
Simmons follows Heyward with another great AB.

stpeteirish

there you go.

parkvadawg
I can't believe that some of our fans are still giving up on our team this year. We never die!

As soon as the game is over posts come , we come back.

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Really? Didn't Heyward have a 2 homerun game the other night?

Nope he must be 0 for 100000000000000000

AUTiger7222
Great prediction.

Maybe me expecting the worse possible outcome from Simmons actually caused the universe to wanna make me look like a fool and caused him to get a hit.

jpack1
I love this team. There is just no quit in this team. Win or lose the effort and talent is there.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Big hit Simba.....now watch Freddie the MVP magician work.

stpeteirish
I thought Pedro Feliciano was dead. Baseball wise, that is.

emk418
Maybe me expecting the worse possible outcome from Simmons actually caused the universe to wanna make me look like a fool and caused him to get a hit.

That sounds like me with Uggla.

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Wow, I really thought Freeman woudl come through there. .

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 08:22 PM

Really? Didn't he just hit a bases clearing double?

stpeteirish
08-20-2013, 08:23 PM
That was pretty weird, Freddie's avg with RISP is about 200 points higher than Simmons'

Orphan Black
As great as Simmons three run double was, he swung at ball 4 which is annoying because it was a terrible to pitch to try and hit.

Julio3000
Great prediction.

Even better decimal placement.

AUTiger7222
Great inning Braves! 2 out damage!

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Really? Didn't he just hit a bases clearing double?

It was posted before the at-bat thank you. And I had good reason not to expect Simmons to get a hit there. He was 6-for-50 with 2 outs and RISP before that at-bat.

Runnin
08-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing "game over" on the censor list.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Even better decimal placement.

Sorry. Numbers are not my friend. I've spent hours today doing crappy math homework tonight. Getting math homework on the 1st day of school should be illegal.

Runnin
08-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I love that camera angle.

skidlee
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Amazing that David Carpenter has pitched in 6 straight games.

Wren go get another damn right handed reliever and kick ayala to the curb

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Amazing that David Carpenter has pitched in 6 straight games.

Wren go get another damn right handed reliever and kick ayala to the curb

That will be either Medlen or Beachy in the postseason. A trade is not needed.

skidlee
08-20-2013, 08:33 PM
That will be either Medlen or Beachy in the postseason. A trade is not needed.

Got to get there first

Carpenter is going to be **** by the playoffs

But Ayala is pointless on this team. Varvaro is your long man. Go get another quality RH reliever

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Sorry. Numbers are not my friend. I've spent hours today doing crappy math homework tonight. Getting math homework on the 1st day of school should be illegal.

My condolences.

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Geez, get these bums out.

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Got to get there first

Carpenter is going to be **** by the playoffs

But Ayala is pointless on this team. Varvaro is your long man. Go get another quality RH reliever

They are going to stop using him as much in September.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Well heck. It appears the Braves are in a boat load of trouble.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
My condolences.

Thanks. My brain is so fried right now.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:39 PM
YES! Huge strikeout for Downs! Now get the next one!

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Big out. Now do your job Downs and get the lefty out.

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks. My brain is so fried right now.

What kind of math?

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Crap! Ugh!

thethe
Oh boy...here we go with Ayala.

Downs failed today big time.

AUTiger7222
LUIS AYALA????????????????????????????????????????????? ?/ NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:45 PM
What kind of math?

Stupid Algebra.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 08:48 PM
LUIS AYALA????????????????????????????????????????????? ?/ NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could be good news. This outcome here could determine if he gets the pink slip.

Garmel
08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice job, Ayala.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Whew!

thethe
08-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Shocked.

jpack1
Hopefully Wren will leave Ayala off the postseason roster. Only way to keep Fredi from using him in big spots.

Runnin
Way to show these non-believers Ayala!

jsebe10
Thanks Luis....now can we please pur these Muts to sleep. gracious.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 08:56 PM
I love McCann but he is so freaking slow.

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Not surprisingly, Chip's Spanish accent falls somewhere between "cocaine withdrawal jitters" and "Chip's Harry Caray impression" on the ol' ledger of Really Horrible Stuff.

david55
08-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Gattis is really struggling lately .... amazing -- major league pitcher will find your weak spot ... Got to adjust!!!

Julio3000
Lord BABIP poops line drives.

AUTiger7222
Gattis is really struggling lately .... amazing -- major league pitcher will find your weak spot ... Got to adjust!!!

He just hasn't made the adjustments I expected him to.

Garmel
08-20-2013, 08:59 PM
We can't buy a break. Nearly every hard hit ball has been hit straight to someone or a great play is made.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:00 PM
We can't buy a break. Nearly every hard hit ball has been hit straight to someone.

These sorry ass Muts get that kind of luck vs us this time of year.

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
We can't buy a break. Nearly every hard hit ball has been hit straight to someone or a great play is made.

This game is going to end with fatass Marlon Byrd scaling the wall to rob us of a game-tying HR.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Top 9 ya gotta go BJ, Justin, then roll it to Jason.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:02 PM
GOOD GOD he got a cookie to hit. lmao

Garmel
08-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Damn it, Ayala.

thethe
08-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Damn, that hurts.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Damn, that hurts.

He threw him a nut!!

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Ayala's fastball looks like BP.

david55
08-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Well only one run ... better this inning and not last inning ...

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 09:09 PM
I think you guys are kind of being overly hard on Ayala.

He's been reliably consistent and a workhorse for us the last few months.

He's the worst pitcher on one of the best assembled bullpens in modern history.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Ayala's fastball looks like BP.

Him, I didn't realize it looked like a Multi-national oil conglomerate :icwudt:

sturg33
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Why does Fredi trust Ayala more than Vavaro?

Why does Fredi bat our coldest hitter (Gattis) 4th?

Why does Fredi use two backup outfielders in place of our starting CF who we desperately need to get going and get some confidence in?

We may have the best record in baseball, but we could be 2-3 games better with a competent manager.

Garmel
08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
BJ being BJ.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Poor BJ. Didn't have a chance...

Laird?

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
BJ looked helpless. Wow. 87 yr. old Latroy Hawkins embarrassing folks...

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Him, I didn't realize it looked like a Multi-national oil conglomerate :icwudt:
Well, it did make a huge, flaming mess that somebody else had to clean up.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Why does Fredi trust Ayala more than Vavaro?

Why does Fredi bat our coldest hitter (Gattis) 4th?

Why does Fredi use two backup outfielders in place of our starting CF who we desperately need to get going and get some confidence in?

We may have the best record in baseball, but we could be 2-3 games better with a competent manager.

Word

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Laird PHing in the 9th...

Dag.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Laird PHing in the 9th...

Dag.

Is Justin hurt?

sturg33
08-20-2013, 09:18 PM
By the way, I don't know his name, but I think this umpire behind the plate is really great. He's done two other games this year where I remember how much I love his strike zone and he rarely misses. Another good game tonight

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Word

Wait, so you're asking why he's playing Gattis, who needs at bats to get going, and calling him a bad manager for doing that. THEN, you're blaming him for NOT playing BJ Upton bc he needs at bats to get going, and calling him a bad manager for doing that, too. You can have either one, but not both. Some of you are ridiculous...

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Well we didn't bring our A game on the offensive side or pitching side. Beachy was good HR aside. Got to give the Mets props they earned the win today.

Dalyn
08-20-2013, 09:20 PM
I can't believe how frustrating it is having Fredi as the manager.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:22 PM
By the way, I don't know his name, but I think this umpire behind the plate is really great. He's done two other games this year where I remember how much I love his strike zone and he rarely misses. Another good game tonight

His name is Alan Porter and he's one of the better umpires.

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Well we didn't bring our A game on the offensive side or pitching side. Beachy was good HR aside. Got to give the Mets props they earned the win today.

Yea, the 2 errors that led to 3 runs weren't a factor at all...They didn't earn a thing.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Wait, so you're asking why he's playing Gattis, who needs at bats to get going, and calling him a bad manager for doing that. THEN, you're blaming him for NOT playing BJ Upton bc he needs at bats to get going, and calling him a bad manager for doing that, too. You can have either one, but not both. Some of you are ridiculous...

No. I was saying that Gattis doesn't need to be hitting 4th ahead of McCann and Johnson.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 09:24 PM
No. I was saying that Gattis doesn't need to be hitting 4th ahead of McCann and Johnson.
Ok. I misread that. My bad. Yeah, I wouldn't mind if on nights with this particular bunch of players, Fredi went;
Schafer
Simba
Heyward
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis

jsebe10
08-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I can't believe how frustrating it is having Fredi as the manager.

Bad thing about it....tomorrow being a day game, Laird will be catching and I'm sure he will give another starter a day off like Freddie or Johnson...

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow. Zack Wheeler has beaten the Braves 3 times this season. First rookie pitcher to beat the Braves 3 times in a season since Tom Seaver also did it for the Mets.

parkvadawg
08-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Ok. I misread that. My bad. Yeah, I wouldn't mind if on nights with this particular bunch of players, Fredi went;
Schafer
Simba
Heyward
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis

Put Simba last and move everyone up and I agree. Simba has no business at the top of the order

sturg33
08-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Schafer
Simba
Heyward
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis

I thought you were a moneyball guy... Simba 2nd?? (.288 OBP)

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Schafer
Simba
Heyward
Freeman
Johnson
McCann
Gattis

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing that.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:29 PM

It's a very little sample size (just 77 PA), but Simmons has a .329 OBP in the 2nd spot coming into tonight's game.

sturg33
08-20-2013, 09:31 PM
It's a very little sample size (just 77 PA), but Simmons has a .329 OBP in the 2nd spot coming into tonight's game.

A. People don't magically become hitters if they change spots in the order. It's a coincidence.

B. .329 is still pretty bad.

C. You covered the sample size problem

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Yeah

On a night liek tonight our lineup should have been

Jason
Johnson
Mac
Freddie
Simmons
Gattis
Schafer
Janish

When we only have 4 good hitters, they shoudl be hitting 1-4. Not 3-6

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Simmons is one of those guys i think you just have to stick in a spot and let him work it out. I like the lineup symmetry w l/r that way, but I'd be ok with Heyward back @ 2, too. Although he's been so good I hesitate to move him. Maybe I'm overreacting after one loss. I hope Justin Upton is back in tomorrow. It thickens out the lineup and moves the other guys back more where they're supposed to be.

chopdrew
08-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah

On a night liek tonight our lineup should have been

Jason
Johnson
Mac
Freddie
Simmons
Gattis
Schafer
Janish

When we only have 4 good hitters, they shoudl be hitting 1-4. Not 3-6

If I remember right, Johnson's not been good in the 2-hole.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:38 PM
A. People don't magically become hitters if they change spots in the order. It's a coincidence.

B. .329 is still pretty bad.

C. You covered the sample size problem

I disagree with the notion that guys don't produce differently in different spots. Brian Jordan was a great hitter in the #4 spot who saw a huge decline in his numbers when he hit 5th in a huge number of plate appearances in both spots.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Some of you guys are wondering about Ayala. Well, when the Braves activate Maholm Thursday someone has to go to make room. You wonder if the Braves will DFA him or what they do. Another option is sending Wood down to AAA, skip his next start since you're giving them rest and then in 10 days you can recall him and he can make his other starts. We'll see soon enough.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:41 PM

He hasn't. .154/.214/.192 (.407) in 28 PA this season. It's the only 6 games of his career that he has hit 2nd.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Some of you guys are wondering about Ayala. Well, when the Braves activate Maholm Thursday someone has to go to make room. You wonder if the Braves will DFA him or what they do. Another option is sending Wood down to AAA, skip his next start since you're giving them rest and then in 10 days you can recall him and he can make his other starts. We'll see soon enough.

Who said anything about Wood getting rest? The only pitcher I've heard about getting rest is Minor.

chopdrew
I disagree with the notion that guys don't produce differently in different spots. Brian Jordan was a great hitter in the #4 spot who saw a huge decline in his numbers when he hit 5th in a huge number of plate appearances in both spots.
I agree with the notion that they shouldn't, but for whatever reason, there are guys that do and guys that don't. There's no chartable reason for it. It's one of those psychological aspects of sports that's unexplainable.

zitothebrave
I don't really care.

In a situation like tonight where we have 4 good major league hitters you hit them 1-4 and just hope for the best. I put Johnson 2 because it's the best breakup of the lefty/righty splits.

tvsportscaster
08-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Who said anything about Wood getting rest? The only pitcher I've heard about getting rest is Minor.

They said earlier the plan was instead of going to a 6-man rotation they were going to skip a rotation each time through with some of their young starters just to give them some rest. So that means, both Wood and Teheran will get some rest.

bravesnumberone
08-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Missed the game. I see we still are having issues "solving" the Mets lol. Little irritating that we're 7-8 against them, but whatever. Is Justin's back strain just a day-to-day thing?

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 10:06 PM
I agree with the notion that they shouldn't, but for whatever reason, there are guys that do and guys that don't. There's no chartable reason for it. It's one of those psychological aspects of sports that's unexplainable.

Yep.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't really care.

In a situation like tonight where we have 4 good major league hitters you hit them 1-4 and just hope for the best. I put Johnson 2 because it's the best breakup of the lefty/righty splits.

True

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 10:07 PM
They said earlier the plan was instead of going to a 6-man rotation they were going to skip a rotation each time through with some of their young starters just to give them some rest. So that means, both Wood and Teheran will get some rest.

Good to know. I was worried about Wood and Teheran and how much they would have left in the tank come October.

AUTiger7222
08-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Missed the game. I see we still are having issues "solving" the Mets lol. Little irritating that we're 7-8 against them, but whatever. Is Justin's back strain just a day-to-day thing?

Yep.

Julio3000
08-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Maybe this has been said already, but this is the perfect time for BJ to be out there trying to get his act together. We're what, 15 games up on the Nats. Get him out there to try to figure out how to hit in time for the postseason.

I was drive-by posting tonight and missed most of the thread, but I'll chime in to say yeah, this.

Or maybe just "yep." ;-)

Dunit24
08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
I read where Wheeler said after the game gameplanning against the Braves is easy. I have a feeling hes going to eat those words sooner rather than later. I doubt he was trying to be disrespectful, but this Braves team seems to feed off that kinda stuff.

Tapate50
08-21-2013, 08:35 AM
To his credit, we never hit pitchers very well the first few times seeing them.

Dunit24
08-21-2013, 09:03 AM
To his credit, we never hit pitchers very well the first few times seeing them.

I think Wheeler is going to be a stud. I dont know if last night was a fluke, but 95 on the corners with his breaking stuff is going to be a pain through the years.

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Wheeler has TOR potential. Command is the only concern with him. If he gets that down he'll be a force.

sturg33
08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Mets have Harvey, Wheeler, and Synddagaurd coming. They are going to have quite the rotation

thethe
08-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Mets also have more pitching in the lower minors. With their potential payroll ceiling they will be a force.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 12:14 PM
I was happy to see Beachy's velocity up again last night through four innings. But I noticed it started to fade in the 5th and more in the 6th. He had something like three straight fastballs of only 85 mph in the 6th. But through 4 innings he hit 93 mph a few times and had no issues hitting 92 mph quite a bit as needed.

This suggests to me that after the 5th he was a bit tired (and should've been pulled earlier).