PDA

View Full Version : Minor League 5_12_2016

bravesfanMatt
05-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Jenkins has settled in nicely today. struggled with control to start. he is now through 5 innings throwing 73 pitches (43 strikes).. 1ER/5H/1BB/2K..

ozzie 0-3 w/ K..

**Rico, feel free to take this thread as your own..

clvclv
05-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Honestly think he could eventually fit right in with Blair and Wisler as very solid #3, #4, #5 options - not sexy with the Ks and not overpowering - just guys that know how to pitch and can consistently get outs. Assuming Julio's kept, he gives you your #2. It then falls to Folty/Newcomb/Sims/Allard/Soroka to turn into that "Ace" if you want to be considered as a team with a really strong rotation. If we consistently got sub-3.9 ERAs from the last three spots in the rotation, you've set yourself up for the marathon that is the regular season, but you've still got to have that someone that can make Julio a #2 - as many others have noted.

Garmel
05-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Albies went 0-5 today. Strange thing is he still hasn't walked in 47 at-bats at AAA.

Enscheff
05-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Albies went 0-5 today. Strange thing is he still hasn't walked in 47 at-bats at AAA.

In a weird way I'm glad he is struggling. It makes it less likely the FO will do something stupid like promoting him to the MLB level this season.

smootness
05-12-2016, 04:09 PM
In a weird way I'm glad he is struggling. It makes it less likely the FO will do something stupid like promoting him to the MLB level this season.

I want him to have to work his way through this as well. AA obviously wasn't much of a challenge. He has been hitting better in AAA recently.

smootness
05-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Blair and Wisler are pretty clearly rotation staples at this point, I think, as is Teheran. I agree that you probably would like someone ahead of Teheran, but even if no one gets quite to that level (at least no one before Allard/Fried/Soroka), you can put together a really good rotation if Newcomb and Sims develop to about the level of Teheran. If you have 3 good #2's and then two good #3/4's, that's a really good rotation. You don't have to have a shut-down ace.

striker42
05-12-2016, 04:18 PM

The lack of BBs is odd. Ozzie's always had a respectable BB rate. He's also striking out at almost twice the rate he has in his career. So he's definitely going to have to make adjustments.

That being said, his BABIP is only .250. That's over 100 points lower than its been in his career in the minors. So he's having some bad luck there.

bravesfanMatt
05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
The lack of BBs is odd. Ozzie's always had a respectable BB rate. He's also striking out at almost twice the rate he has in his career. So he's definitely going to have to make adjustments.

That being said, his BABIP is only .250. That's over 100 points lower than its been in his career in the minors. So he's having some bad luck there.

which is probably making him press more.. He will come around.. he will probably have a night where he bloops 3 hits in and take off from there..

Russ2dollas
05-12-2016, 04:43 PM
This is what ppl wanted. They said they wanted albies to make adjustments.

If they don't push him to aaa does he struggle?

Julio3000
05-12-2016, 05:51 PM
I like Oz. A lot. I'd be willing to bet I've seen him play in person as much is anybody else post regularly on this board, unless they live in Rome.

I'm a believer in him and his future as a big leaguer. On the other hand, he is still a teenager and there is absolutely no reason to rush him to the majors right now.

He was easily the youngest player in AA, and right now he's playing a level above that. Seriously, chill the **** out.

bravesfanforlife88
05-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Interesting enough Michael bourn is leading off for the mobile bay bears tonight against Mississippi . Must have signed with minors deal with Arizona I didn't see.

Braves1976
05-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Interesting enough Michael bourn is leading off for the mobile bay bears tonight against Mississippi . Must have signed with minors deal with Arizona I didn't see.

Yea, he signed with them not long after Toronto let him go.

nsacpi
05-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Just awful to see Albies struggling like this. They shoulda let him skip AAA.

msstate7
05-12-2016, 07:29 PM
D. Peterson with a triple

Deester11
05-12-2016, 07:51 PM
I like Oz. A lot. I'd be willing to bet I've seen him play in person as much is anybody else post regularly on this board, unless they live in Rome.

I'm a believer in him and his future as a big leaguer. On the other hand, he is still a teenager and there is absolutely no reason to rush him to the majors right now.

He was easily the youngest player in AA, and right now he's playing a level above that. Seriously, chill the **** out. I live in Douglasville but stay in Cartersville a lot. I saw Oz a lot in Rome. I agree with you. Not worried about him really.

msstate7
05-12-2016, 07:54 PM
D. Peterson with a double. 2-2 (2b, 3b)

smootness
05-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Peterson is quietly playing really well. He's been promoted every year and has posted a higher OPS and an improved BB/K rate at each level. If he can get his BA up to around the .280 range and keep it there, he'll have a real shot to be a solid major leaguer.

msstate7
05-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Toscano with a single and walk (1-1). He's now up to .225.

UNCBlue012
05-12-2016, 08:10 PM
I love Peterson! I've been high on the guy for a while.

Julio3000
05-12-2016, 08:11 PM
I live in Douglasville but stay in Cartersville a lot. I saw Oz a lot in Rome. I agree with you. Not worried about him really.

You probably got a better look at him than anyone and have a good idea what he is and what he isn't. IMO he's going to put the bat on the ball at any level, but right now he's really being tested. I just want to make sure we're considering his age vs. his level right now.

smootness
05-12-2016, 08:14 PM
You probably got a better look at him than anyone and have a good idea what he is and what he isn't. IMO he's going to put the bat on the ball at any level, but right now he's really being tested. I just want to make sure we're considering his age vs. his level right now.

The FO has said all along that they're going to let players tell them when they're ready through their play. I will believe that until it's proven untrue. We have a lot of fans who have simply assumed what the FO will do, and we have no indications yet that they will.

msstate7
05-12-2016, 08:41 PM
D. Peterson with hr. 3-3 (2b, 3b, hr)

nsacpi
05-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Soroka with another strong start.

cajunrevenge
05-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Peterson is quietly playing really well. He's been promoted every year and has posted a higher OPS and an improved BB/K rate at each level. If he can get his BA up to around the .280 range and keep it there, he'll have a real shot to be a solid major leaguer.

Thats what I love to see from a prospect.

smootness
05-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Soroka with another strong start.

Great to see him rebound. And man, Peterson's OPS has shot up over 70 points tonight, up to .830 now...in AA...at 21. May be time to start thinking about him as a serious prospect.

bravesfanMatt
05-12-2016, 08:54 PM
D. Peterson with hr. 3-3 (2b, 3b, hr)

He is a single away from the cycle.. should have 2 more Abs to get it hopefully.

Rome just finished off a 2 hit shutout.. Soroka started.. Minter closed it down... good job guys.

bravesfanMatt
05-12-2016, 08:59 PM
also in the AA game.. Whalen with a good start.. 6 pitched 4H/1ER/4K/1BB 95 pitches.. needs to throw more strikes...but still a good effort.

Braves1976
05-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Toscano with a single and walk (1-1). He's now up to .225.

I don't know if he'll ever hit enough, but Toscano has made some impressive catches in RF of late. Looks like he has plus range out there.

Deester11
05-12-2016, 09:22 PM

Real quick, and I'm sure there are professionals that get paid to do what I surmise, but Albies bat speed is second to none....and I mean none in this organization. I'd say Dansby is second, but I've only seen him once. If you look at Albies first AAA HR...watch the barrel get to the zone on the inside pitch. It's what separates him from say....Braxton. Braxton has the recognition, but only AFTER he's put in a hole forcing him to swing at a pitchers pitch or the UP AND AWAY pitch that he has problems with.

Albies will be ok. He's hitting the ball hard, but I've never seen so many at em balls. (My brother is in Gwinnett....gives me an excuse to see him and have beers). LOL. If Albies bats .100, he'll still learn. He's a quick study. Just wait for it....

KB21
05-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Great to see him rebound. And man, Peterson's OPS has shot up over 70 points tonight, up to .830 now...in AA...at 21. May be time to start thinking about him as a serious prospect.

It would be great if he is a legitimate option for LF at some point in 2017 or the start of 2018. His brother seemed to top out at AA, so I hope he has the ability to adjust and push through.

KB21
05-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Look for AJ Minter to be a guy that moves fast. He would have been a 1st round pick out of Texas A&M if he had never injured his elbow.

Braves1976
05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Look for AJ Minter to be a guy that moves fast. He would have been a 1st round pick out of Texas A&M if he had never injured his elbow.

Any idea what the plans are with him as far as starting?

striker42
05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
I live in Douglasville but stay in Cartersville a lot. I saw Oz a lot in Rome. I agree with you. Not worried about him really.

I grew up in Douglasville. Graduated from Chapel Hill actually.

KB21
05-12-2016, 09:56 PM

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him pushed to Carolina and stretched out there.

Deester11
05-13-2016, 12:12 AM
I grew up in Douglasville. Graduated from Chapel Hill actually.

Areas grown up a lot. Delino DeShields daughter trained in D'ville for basketball. My daughter trained there until moving to orlando. Good talent In that area now in baseball too. Small world Striker!

smootness
05-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Real quick, and I'm sure there are professionals that get paid to do what I surmise, but Albies bat speed is second to none....and I mean none in this organization. I'd say Dansby is second, but I've only seen him once. If you look at Albies first AAA HR...watch the barrel get to the zone on the inside pitch. It's what separates him from say....Braxton. Braxton has the recognition, but only AFTER he's put in a hole forcing him to swing at a pitchers pitch or the UP AND AWAY pitch that he has problems with.

Albies will be ok. He's hitting the ball hard, but I've never seen so many at em balls. (My brother is in Gwinnett....gives me an excuse to see him and have beers). LOL. If Albies bats .100, he'll still learn. He's a quick study. Just wait for it....

I agree. I don't think anybody's worried about Albies.

CJ9
05-13-2016, 08:18 AM

If I remember correctly, I think he struggled as a starter in college but was dominant out of the bullpen. Seems reasonable that we drafted him as a reliever to move fast.

50PoundHead
05-13-2016, 10:16 AM

I checked Peterson's splits this morning and he's absolutely killing LHP. He's among the youngest players in the league (in a league where a number of relatively young guys sit high on the performance charts) and he's moved up a level each year. His power numbers look to be up this year (the bus crash probably set him back last year), which is a good thing in our system.