MISSISSIPPI: Kinman goes onto DL

CAROLINA: Minter promoted from Rome

CJ9
05-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Minter promoted to Carolina.

rico43
05-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Minter promoted to Carolina.

Kid absolutely should be fast-tracked if he is healthy. Could wind up being one of the steals of that draft.

jpx7
05-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Kid absolutely should be fast-tracked if he is healthy. Could wind up being one of the steals of that draft.

I hope he's ultimately allowed the chance to start, though.

KB21
05-19-2016, 03:18 PM
I hope he's ultimately allowed the chance to start, though.

I'm curious to see if they stretch him out in Carolina. Outside of Povse, Carolina doesn't have much in the rotation.

bravesfanforlife88
05-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Swanson with a HR Mississippi up 1-0

CrimsonCowboy
05-19-2016, 06:43 PM
I'm at the M-Braves game here in Mobile. Swanson just hit an absolute no doubter over the LF wall. It was a laser

bravesfanforlife88
05-19-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm at the M-Braves game here in Mobile. Swanson just hit an absolute no doubter over the LF wall. It was a laser

When he is in Gwinnett I'll have to go to a few games

CrimsonCowboy
05-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Sharp single for Swanson in his second at bat

bravesfanforlife88
05-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Sharp single for Swanson in his second at bat

Hopefully he gets hot again

CrimsonCowboy
05-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Thurman was not sharp. Doesn't get out of the 4th. Baserunners a plenty.

devilsbballfan
05-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Fried bounced back from his last couple starts, 5 IP 1 H 1 R (0 ER) 4 BB 4 K

Lucas Herbert's bat may be starting to adjust to Low-A as an 19 year old, 7 game hitting streak

cajunrevenge
05-19-2016, 08:26 PM
I havent seen this comp thrown around for Swanson before but I think he is our Derek Jeter. As much as it pains me to say that.

bravesfanforlife88
05-19-2016, 08:47 PM
I havent seen this comp thrown around for Swanson before but I think he is our Derek Jeter. As much as it pains me to say that.

I've heard a few people give him that comparison. Let's hope they're right

50PoundHead
05-19-2016, 10:47 PM
Fried bounced back from his last couple starts, 5 IP 1 H 1 R (0 ER) 4 BB 4 K

Lucas Herbert's bat may be starting to adjust to Low-A as an 19 year old, 7 game hitting streak

Herbert has had a pretty solid May after a miserable April.

CrimsonCowboy
05-19-2016, 11:18 PM
As mentioned earlier, I was at the Mississippi/Mobile game tonight. Some observations:

Dansby Swanson: Obviously, the guy I wanted to see the most. 2-4, with the home run and a sharp single. Also made two good plays in the field. Liked what I saw

Matt Lipka: Nothing remarkable at the plate. Almost played a fly ball deep into center field into an inside the park home run. Did start a great relay to get the runner out by a good distance at the plate.

Dian Toscano: Had a walk, but nothing of note from him.

Andrew Thurman: Didn't look real good. Command was just off and didn't make it out of the fourth. Amazing he didn't allow a run before the fourth, thanks in good part to catcher Steve Rodriguez. He threw out would be base stealers in the second and third innings.

I'm planning on going to two more in the series. Not sure about tomorrow night. Weather forecast looks iffy.

thewupk
05-20-2016, 06:28 AM

That would be amazing.

The best thing I like about Swanson? 38 BB to 34 K's in his minors career so far.

rico43
05-20-2016, 06:59 AM
That would be amazing.

The best thing I like about Swanson? 38 BB to 34 K's in his minors career so far.

There will come a point where teams will quit pitching around him. That has clearly been the case more than once this year. With reason, I suppose.

KB21
05-20-2016, 10:27 AM
I just hope they resist pushing Swanson up to Atlanta at any point this year. Albies as well. Wait till May 1 next year to put them in Atlanta.

rico43
05-20-2016, 10:45 AM
I just hope they resist pushing Swanson up to Atlanta at any point this year. Albies as well. Wait till May 1 next year to put them in Atlanta.

May 1 is way too late. Swanson should and will be the opening SOMETHING in Atlanta. Albies could as well, but he is so dang young.

Enscheff
05-20-2016, 10:57 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion the new CBA will prevent teams from sticking prospects in the minors for a few weeks and gaining that 7th year of control. I would be willing to bet money they will have to be down there for at least 2-3 months, and maybe even 51% of the season to delay becoming a FA. If that ends up being the case the calculus changes when deciding to promote top prospects.

striker42
05-20-2016, 11:06 AM
The Braves don't play the service time game. When a player is ready and there's an opening, they call them up. I agree with this approach. If a player has earned the promotion then they should get it.

I just don't want them pushing Swanson because they want him to earn the promotion. Don't let the desire to show the rebuild is progressing force us to make stupid decisions.

That being said, if the Braves promote Swanson to AAA next month and he tears up AAA pitching showing he's ready for the show, then you call him up and let him cut his teeth. In fact, letting him get his first experience and get over some growing pains in games that don't matter might be beneficial for him.

nsacpi
05-20-2016, 11:14 AM
I don't believe either Swanson or Albies have to be added to the 40-man this off-season to protect them in the Rule 5. So there is a case for deferring that while adding guys who we might lose in the Rule 5 as well as creating space for us to add some players this off-season.

50PoundHead
05-20-2016, 11:54 AM
I don't believe either Swanson or Albies have to be added to the 40-man this off-season to protect them in the Rule 5. So there is a case for deferring that while adding guys who we might lose in the Rule 5 as well as creating space for us to add some players this off-season.

I don't have the list in front of me, but with all of the guys they have obtained over the past couple of off-seasons, there are probably a few that will have to be put on the 40-man to prevent their being eligible for the Rule 5. Plus, as you say, we may want to keep a spot open to draft someone. If we're planning on winning 50 games, I don't think we need to have Swanson and Albies contribute to the futility. Camargo has to go on the 40-man at the end of the season, so bringing him up would make more sense than bringing in either Albies or Swanson. The trouble is with Albies and Swanson taking all the innings at SS, Camargo isn't getting any time there.

jpx7
05-20-2016, 12:00 PM

Hopefully they won't call either player up to Atlanta, since the organization won't be playing any baseball there.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tim-Eric-Awesome-Shows-Tim-Is-Indifferent.gif

dak
05-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Here are the noteworthy guys I see that need Rule 5 protection this Winter (if the Braves deem them worthy or protection): Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Whalen, Lien, Hursh, Janas, Thurman, Bird

Notable guys who don't need protection: Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Ellis, Povse, Barker, Peterson

thewupk
05-20-2016, 02:43 PM
The Braves don't play the service time game. When a player is ready and there's an opening, they call them up. I agree with this approach. If a player has earned the promotion then they should get it.

I just don't want them pushing Swanson because they want him to earn the promotion. Don't let the desire to show the rebuild is progressing force us to make stupid decisions.

That being said, if the Braves promote Swanson to AAA next month and he tears up AAA pitching showing he's ready for the show, then you call him up and let him cut his teeth. In fact, letting him get his first experience and get over some growing pains in games that don't matter might be beneficial for him.

Which gets us one less year of Heyward. It's stupid to not play the game. At some the Braves will realize they are a mid market team at best and that they have to do this. It doesn't make sense not to.

nsacpi
05-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Which gets us one less year of Heyward. It's stupid to not play the game. At some the Braves will realize they are a mid market team at best and that they have to do this. It doesn't make sense not to.

The Braves are a Gold Standard Franchise which means that all their practices are Gold Standard. By definition.

thewupk
05-20-2016, 02:56 PM
The Braves are a Gold Standard Franchise which means that all their practices are Gold Standard. By definition.

JS and Co are living in the past when they had Ted's checkbook to solve a lot of problems.

nsacpi
05-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Here are the noteworthy guys I see that need Rule 5 protection this Winter (if the Braves deem them worthy or protection): Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Whalen, Lien, Hursh, Janas, Thurman, Bird

Notable guys who don't need protection: Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Ellis, Povse, Barker, Peterson

The 40 man will fill up quickly when you consider they will also eventually have to add back guys currently on the 60 day DL. We have three right now: Jesse Biddle, Paco Rodriguez and McKirahan. Though McKirahan could be released. Even if we release McKirahan and do not add Swanson and Albies, we would not be able to protect all the guys you listed given the need to pick up some major league players for catcher, third, and a couple guys for the bench and pen. My guess is we protect Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Lien, Whalen and Janas, and take our chances on losing Bird, Hursh and Thurman.

rico43
05-20-2016, 06:12 PM
The 40 man will fill up quickly when you consider they will also eventually have to add back guys currently on the 60 day DL. We have three right now: Jesse Biddle, Paco Rodriguez and McKirahan. Though McKirahan could be released. Even if we release McKirahan and do not add Swanson and Albies, we would not be able to protect all the guys you listed given the need to pick up some major league players for catcher, third, and a couple guys for the bench and pen. My guess is we protect Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Lien, Whalen and Janas, and take our chances on losing Bird, Hursh and Thurman.

Lein's horrible AFL showing compounded by this injury should lead the Braves to take a chance on not protecting him. Agree on the others.

Heyward
05-20-2016, 08:17 PM

One less year of Heyward did land us Swanson.

Shrugs.