PDA

View Full Version : Heyward update...

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 1m

Heyward fractured his right jaw when he was hit by the pitch this afternoon. Likely out 4-6 weeks. #Braves

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 5m

#Braves Heyward's jaw was broken in two places when he was hit by fastball today.

thethe
08-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Wow...that really effs things up. The guy was so hot. Now he will be rusty right when the playoffs start. We have no luck as a franchise.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 06:01 PM
A broken jaw usually requires six weeks at least, doesn't it? I don't see him coming back this season.

This is terrible news for our World Series hopes. It likely means we won't earn homefield in the playoffs either. Thankfully the division is at least already decided.

tvsportscaster
08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
A broken jaw usually requires six weeks at least, doesn't it? I don't see him coming back this season.

This is terrible news for our World Series hopes. It likely means we won't earn homefield in the playoffs either. Thankfully the division is at least already decided.

Absolutely terrible news, now it's more imperative than ever for BJ Upton to step up, because in all likelihood he will play almost everyday in CF and Schafer will probably platoon with Gattis.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Absolutely terrible news, now it's more imperative than ever for BJ Upton to step up, because in all likelihood he will play almost everyday in CF and Schafer will probably platoon with Gattis.

If BJ doesn't surprise and turn it around, then I'd platoon him with Schafer and platoon Gattis with Joey T in left. Justin Upton should be moved to his natural position right field now.

I hate even saying that, our outfield was so much better with Jason Heyward. What a huge loss on both offense and defense. Now we lost our answer at lead-off too.

thethe
08-21-2013, 06:11 PM
This is like a bad dream. Unreal.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 06:13 PM
This is like a bad dream. Unreal.

I can imagine a number of crazy Nats fans loving this happening to us too.

weso1
08-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Just an incredibly huge loss. Hopefully we can get him back for the playoffs.

BlackwaterPark
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Not to mention it usually takes people quite a while to get over that type of stuff

Wow...that really effs things up. The guy was so hot. Now he will be rusty right when the playoffs start. We have no luck as a franchise.

parkvadawg
08-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Just an incredibly huge loss. Hopefully we can get him back for the playoffs.

The good news is he will likely be back for the playoffs. It hurts bad no doubt. This is when Gattis needs to rise the freak up

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 06:18 PM
I updated the original post with DOB's information. Heyward's jaw was apparently broken in two places.

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 3m

#Braves Heyward hit .366 w/ 6 doubles, 5 HR, 15 RBI, 1.052 OPS in past 21 games before today, including 17 wins.

jpx7
08-21-2013, 06:22 PM
****ing ****ed ****s.

emk418
08-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Well I guess now Schafer and Justin are our two everyday OF's with Gattis and BJ rotating.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Well I guess now Schafer and Justin are our two everyday OF's with Gattis and BJ rotating.

Schafer cannot hit lefties, so he won't be an everyday player.

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 4m

In 64 games since June 2, #Braves Heyward hit .301 with 27 extra-base hits (11 HR), 43 runs, 29 RBIs, plus-.500 slugging%

Bdawg2309
08-21-2013, 06:28 PM
....francoeur can platoon with jordan......

emk418
08-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Thank god we have a 15.5 game lead. Hopefully we can get Jason back in time to get a few games in at the end of the year to get ready for the playoffs.

tvsportscaster
08-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Schafer cannot hit lefties, so he won't be an everyday player.

Yeah, my guess is Schafer and Gattis platoon with the Uptons playing everday, and yeah, so he doesn't have to continually move around, I would stick Justin in RF, with Schafer and Gattis handling LF.
Also, this might mean a reprieve for Phil Gosselin who was ticketed for Gwinnett with Elliot Johnson's arrival tomorrow, now Johnson might just take Heyward's spot, because they still have enough players to cover the outfield, including Elliot who can play out there some.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Yeah, my guess is Schafer and Gattis platoon with the Uptons playing everday, and yeah, so he doesn't have to continually move around, I would stick Justin in RF, with Schafer and Gattis handling LF.
Also, this might mean a reprieve for Phil Gosselin who was ticketed for Gwinnett with Elliot Johnson's arrival tomorrow, now Johnson might just take Heyward's spot, because they still have enough players to cover the outfield, including Elliot who can play out there some.

Janish, Gosselin and Elliot Johnson all on our team at once? Yikes, that's a scary bench. Actually it's worse since at least one of them will be starting everyday.

Krovahn
08-21-2013, 06:34 PM
4-6 weeks... assuming he can start baseball activities after 3.5-4.5 weeks, he will be back (hopefully) just in time for the playoffs to start.

This 15 game lead is huge now.

Hopefully J-Hey can come back healthy and sharp for the playoffs.

tvsportscaster
08-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Janish, Gosselin and Elliot Johnson all on our team at once? Yikes, that's a scary bench. Actually it's worse since at least one of them will be starting everyday.

That will only be for a week, though, because Dan Uggla is due back a week from today on August 28th, they can live with that for a week, and then when Uggla is ready, Gosselin will be sent down.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 06:39 PM
4-6 weeks... assuming he can start baseball activities after 3.5-4.5 weeks, he will be back (hopefully) just in time for the playoffs to start.

This 15 game lead is huge now.

Hopefully J-Hey can come back healthy and sharp for the playoffs.

If his jaw is broken in two places I don't see how he comes back sooner than six weeks. That sounds like six weeks at least not counting rehab time, etc.

That said, I hope you're right and he can somehow make it back sooner.

CrimsonCowboy
08-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Let me say first off, I don't think it will happen. I don't see it. However, once Francoeur is released from the Giants and is free to sign anywhere, I can see at least a possibility that Francoeur is discussed, if even it is just a brief discussion. Again, I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it either.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 06:40 PM
It's going to really be asking a lot for him to come back hitting on all cylinders. Simply put, we're screwed. His absence will hurt us even more defensively speaking.

BJ Upton, it's time to step it the **** up. Earn your pay.

Russ2dollas
08-21-2013, 06:41 PM
prob loose a bunch of good weight....loose timing....awful

Krovahn
08-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Personally, I think we really need to bring up LaStella now. We need more offense than anything Janish/Johnson/Gosselin can provide with J-Hey out.

Right now our lineup is looking like:

BJ
JUp
Freeman
Gattis
McCann
Johnson
Simmons
Johnson/Gosselin/Janish
Or:
Schafer
JUp
Freeman
McCann
Johnson
BJ
Simmons
Johnson/Gosselin/Janish

That won't cut it. Neither of them will. LaStella would at lease be an improvement, instead of a black hole offensively.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
BTW, the baseball gods are dead to me. And I know it's not his fault in any way, but ****ing really Niese? You were shutting us down and you let one get away from you.

tvsportscaster
08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Personally, I think we really need to bring up LaStella now. We need more offense than anything Janish/Johnson/Gosselin can provide with J-Hey out.

Right now our lineup is looking like:

BJ
JUp
Freeman
Gattis
McCann
Johnson
Simmons
Johnson/Gosselin/Janish
Or:
Schafer
JUp
Freeman
McCann
Johnson
BJ
Simmons
Johnson/Gosselin/Janish

That won't cut it. Neither of them will. LaStella would at lease be an improvement, instead of a black hole offensively.

Again, it's only a week before Uggla comes back, so I doubt the Braves will panic and bring anybody else in. No doubt Heyward's loss is huge but I think they will survive. However, it's imperative he comes back for the playoffs.

Krovahn
08-21-2013, 06:46 PM
If his jaw is broken in two places I don't see how he comes back sooner than six weeks. That sounds like six weeks at least not counting rehab time, etc.

That said, I hope you're right and he can somehow make it back sooner.Well, healing time is generally 4-6 weeks; seeing as how he is a professional athlete with great body conditioning, a ton of great doctors and trainers... I am assuming (and hoping) that it will be the shorter of the time frame.

Especially since Heyward is a beast and can probably come back a little sooner. I am definitely not a doctor, though; I have to think with the playoffs coming, timing of this and timing of potential return... that J-Hey will be back for the playoffs... assuming no infections or complications arise.

Bj1133
08-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Let me say first off, I don't think it will happen. I don't see it. However, once Francoeur is released from the Giants and is free to sign anywhere, I can see at least a possibility that Francoeur is discussed, if even it is just a brief discussion. Again, I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it either.

Too many other better options already on the team

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Schafer or BJ are going to have to break out of their funk for me to trust either at leadoff. Unfortunately, I think Simmons might be heading back for that spot.

CrimsonCowboy
08-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Too many other better options already on the team

And that is a main reason why I don't see it happening. With Joey T. and probably Cunningham as guys who will likely be asked to play more in crucial times. It's highly unlikely, but I wouldn't all the way dismiss the notion.

Krovahn
08-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Again, it's only a week before Uggla comes back, so I doubt the Braves will panic and bring anybody else in. No doubt Heyward's loss is huge but I think they will survive. However, it's imperative he comes back for the playoffs.Uggla also hasn't played the greatest; while I have said that I think Uggla will come back and play better since he will actually be able to see... a week of poor offense is enough to send any time into a funk that is tough to get out of. That is something we definitely don't need at this time of the year; so, why take the chance of it when we could just put LaStella into the lineup.

Plus, when Uggla comes back, we can utilize LaStella as our main PHer. It just makes more sense to have LaStella, even with Uggla coming back in a week as opposed to having Elliot Johnson, Janish and Gosselin all on the team, IMO.

It isn't so much panicking, as it is making the team be the best it can be with the pieces they have in the organization.

Carp
08-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Good thing we never traded away Reed Johnson. Going to need all the help we can get in the OF now.

Hawk
08-21-2013, 06:53 PM

I, too, would like to see Francouer in a Braves uniform one more time. Even if he doesn't hit. I'm just sentimental like that. However, that being said, I get the impression that Jeff still has some enemies in the Braves front office.

Runnin
08-21-2013, 06:54 PM
:facepalm:

:Sad:

Diesel
08-21-2013, 06:54 PM
I know it's irrational, but I really want to kick Niese's ass. Ticks me off.

Now, on the lineup: I think Schafer should get the bulk of the time because he presents the best option for leadoff and that allows for the rest of the lineup to stay the same as it has been during the hot streak. Let Gattis and BJ split time for the most part. Just my opinion. I don't expect BJ to be able to get it together this season.

nsacpi
08-21-2013, 06:57 PM
We'll mix and match between Joey T, Schafer, BJ and Gattis. One or two will step up. This is a very good team with fantastic outfield depth.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Oh, and another thing, and this goes for me too, as I've probably said this as well.

Anyone who ever says we have too many people at a position, be it outfield, infield, pitching, again, needs to be banned. :icwudt:

parkvadawg
08-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I'll say it again. Gattis needs to step up

tvsportscaster
08-21-2013, 07:00 PM
If they were going to bring up La Stella, they would have done it when Uggla went on the DL, and with the Braves valueing defense at that spot, La Stella will not be coming up.

Krovahn
08-21-2013, 07:01 PM
The #Braves have announced Heyward will return to Atlanta to undergo surgery tomorrow.

Well... ****.

Recovery from a broken jaw, when surgery is required generally adds on a couple of weeks; not sure if the Braves were considering that when they initially reported 4-6 weeks or not. everything I find on it says 6-8.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 07:03 PM
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=29918.0

Grayson Dawg
08-21-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't think they will panic, but Wren owes this team by checking all possibilities. Don't think there is an OF available out there worthy of bringing in, but he has to check. Pence could be available. With a broken jaw in two places Wren as to be thinking as if Heyward is done for the year.
Let me say while EY and Niese acted like both incidents were accidents, but for the same team to seriously hurt two of the Braves best players is a bit suspicous. My disappointment of losing Hudson and Heyward could clouding my view.
Again, it's only a week before Uggla comes back, so I doubt the Braves will panic and bring anybody else in. No doubt Heyward's loss is huge but I think they will survive. However, it's imperative he comes back for the playoffs.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 07:04 PM
I'll say it again. Gattis needs to step up

If we start using Gattis regularly at one position and he starts there regularly (not just a few times a week). Then I expect him to start being more consistent and hit better.

Tapate50
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Good thing we never traded away Reed Johnson. Going to need all the help we can get in the OF now.

Reed is still experiencing pain in his Achilles. I doubt he comes back in 4 weeks

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=29918.0

I figured as much, I didn't even have to check. I knew crazy Nats fans would be celebrating it.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 07:09 PM
I too think Gattis will hit in time if given an everyday opportunity. But I worry significantly about his defense out there. I agree that Wren needs to spend the next 10 days exploring every possible avenue on an outfielder, though with us still at the top record-wise, it will be difficult to get anyone.

As for whoever mentioned Francoeur, that's the one thing that could make this whole situation worse. No thanks.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 07:13 PM
The #Braves have announced Heyward will return to Atlanta to undergo surgery tomorrow.

Well... ****.

Recovery from a broken jaw, when surgery is required generally adds on a couple of weeks; not sure if the Braves were considering that when they initially reported 4-6 weeks or not. everything I find on it says 6-8.

That's what I read too. I was also assuming the surgery after hearing that it was broken in two places. I seem to recall a hockey player having that injury and his was wired shut for around six weeks, IIRC.

CyYoung31
08-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Really hope he's back by the playoffs. Even a rusty Jason Heyward is a lot better than no Heyward at all. If not, our World Series hopes are severly hurt. Maybe even non-existent. And just when I think the baseball Gods may have had all of their fun with us.

I swear the dude is snake bitten. First the apendectomoy and now this? Two things that are completely out of his control.

Having said that, if he's not back in time for the playoffs then he clearly doesn't love baseball.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Really hope he's back by the playoffs. Even a rusty Jason Heyward is a lot better than no Heyward at all. If not, our World Series hopes are severly hurt. Maybe even non-existent. And just when I think the baseball Gods may have had all of their fun with us.

I swear the dude is snake bitten. First the apendectomoy and now this? Two things that are completely out of his control.

Having said that, if he's not back in time for the playoffs then he clearly doesn't love baseball.

Can't he at least wear a face guard??:YDS:

parkvadawg
08-21-2013, 07:33 PM
If we start using Gattis regularly at one position and he starts there regularly (not just a few times a week). Then I expect him to start being more consistent and hit better.

That's my point. If we are looking for someone to ignite the offense, that's our shot IMO.

Braves1976
08-21-2013, 07:45 PM
That's my point. If we are looking for someone to ignite the offense, that's our shot IMO.

Agreed.

Bdawg2309
08-21-2013, 07:46 PM
the mets should hand Byrd over as compensation.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 07:47 PM
the mets should hand Byrd over as compensation.

And he'd promptly go 0-40.

ChapelHillMatt
08-21-2013, 07:49 PM
I think we win the division regardless. My concern is over him being rusty for the playoffs (if he can get back)

This could not have happened at a worst time. Going to be hard to recover from this one.

Dalyn
08-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Plunking hell. For real.

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 08:00 PM
This is horrible news.

Time to go with a Schafer, Bossman, Gattis, Terds hydra.

Sit whoever is coldest from the guys who aren't making 13 million or whatever.

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I think we win the division regardless. My concern is over him being rusty for the playoffs (if he can get back)

This could not have happened at a worst time. Going to be hard to recover from this one.

Yup. Plus now whenever he sees a fastball high and tight it could make him flinch horribly.

Teheran_49
08-21-2013, 08:09 PM
This is f'ing usual for us Braves fans. I seriously doubt Heyward will be back for the play-offs and even if he did he would not be the same player. Not only timing but he may be a bit timid in the box until he feels it is 100%.

I broke my left middle finger and dislocated the ring finger and had to have surgery on the middle finger while playing volleyball a few months ago(go ahead and insert your jokes). I think it took about 6 weeks but it was still very susceptible to get re-injured if I hit it the wrong way. The physical therapist said I wouldn't get to play volleyball for a while and couldn't play in my softball league. You know what? I taped that finger really good and played both sports anyway. I couldn't hit for power in softball and when I played volleyball again I was timid at going for blocks but it didn't take me long until I was blocking shots again. Ok don't really know where i'm going with this and obviously a bunch of 20-30 year old guys playing backyard sports is night and day from the big leagues but I felt the need to throw that out there. Enjoy!

cajunrevenge
08-21-2013, 08:09 PM
6 weeks would put him back right as the playoffs start. The thing that worries me is that he wont be able to eat solid food and could lose some weight and not be in the best of playing shape.

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
6 weeks would put him back right as the playoffs start. The thing that worries me is that he wont be able to eat solid food and could lose some weight and not be in the best of playing shape.

That's the risky thing.

stpeteirish
08-21-2013, 08:16 PM
I broke my jaw once. It sucks, you can't eat. Six weeks is it. Hope he can work out some in weeks 4 and 5. I kept getting the dry heaves, pretty awful with your mouth wired shut.

Gary82
08-21-2013, 08:18 PM
We have three more games scheduled against the Mets. I suggest that the Braves forfeit those games now. That team is bad for your health.

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 08:19 PM
We have three more games scheduled against the Mets. I suggest that the Braves forfeit those games now. That team is bad for your health.

True. Odds are they won't matter anyway.

holden
08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
This absolutely blows. He was finally putting it all together.

Hang in there, J-Hey. Just listen to "Through the Wire" on repeat for 6 weeks and come back ready to roll.

jason27nc
08-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Something tells me Jason will be back sooner rather than later. He is a tough kid and there is no doubt Cj will have him hitting like he was before the injury.

BremanFan88
08-21-2013, 08:47 PM
This absolutely sucks. Losing our best player for the rest of the season is going to be rough. I have serious doubts about how quickly you come back from this but any Heyward for the playoffs is better than no Heyward.

Bravesfannchar
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Such BS.... First, Huddy.... Now, Heyward.... GTHMets!!!!! GTH!!!!!

JusticeForAll23
08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm really trying to think of ways to stay positive but this !@%*@& blows. Until Justin Comes back, what we'll be putting out there will barely be recognizable as an MLB lineup.

BlackwaterPark
08-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Something tells me Jason will be back sooner rather than later. He is a tough kid and there is no doubt Cj will have him hitting like he was before the injury.

Ddnt he take 3 1/2 weeks to heal from a 14 day surgery?

chopdrew
08-21-2013, 09:36 PM
That's not really fair. You can do normal people stuff after 14 days. Hitting doubles and laying out for liners in the gap? Might take a little longer.

david55
08-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Just sick ... as everyone has said time for other to step up their game ... BJ, Jordan, Gattis, Uggla (when he returns)and Reed needs to get well sooner than later ...

chopdrew
08-21-2013, 09:48 PM
One thing I think this does is now you have to be smarter about how much you play BJ. You have to make up those runs Heyward was creating somewhere, and BJ's not gonna do it...BTW, I apologze for any typos...this is the day off my diet/workout plan and the wife broke out the Sailor Jerry's....

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 10:05 PM
One thing I think this does is now you have to be smarter about how much you play BJ. You have to make up those runs Heyward was creating somewhere, and BJ's not gonna do it...BTW, I apologze for any typos...this is the day off my diet/workout plan and the wife broke out the Sailor Jerry's....

I think Heyward going down means we shoudl stick to BJ in CF. honestly considering Schafer and Gattis have been equally sucking lately. Bossman should be plopped in the lineup and stuck in the 8 hole and just pray that he gets better. We'll need him for the stretch run.

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 10:11 PM
So I'm guessing the lineup for now will be something like

Schafer
JUpton
Freeman
McCann
CJ
Simmons
BJ
Second base clusterfluck

Or

Simmons
JUpton
Freeman
McCann
Johnson
Gattis
BJ
second base

And when Uggla returns, put him in between Simmons and BJ or ahead of Simmons?

zitothebrave
08-21-2013, 10:12 PM
So I'm guessing the lineup for now will be something like

Schafer
JUpton
Freeman
McCann
CJ
Simmons
BJ
Second base clusterfluck

Or

Simmons
JUpton
Freeman
McCann
Johnson
Gattis
BJ
second base

And when Uggla returns, put him in between Simmons and BJ or ahead of Simmons?

I really hope not. But I guess we have no other choice.

Schafer has stank since coming back from the DL

I would go with

Justin
Freddie
Johnson
Mac
Simmons
Schafer
Bossman
2B (why can't La Stella just get a callup?)

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm cool with trying Justin at leadoff, not so much with Freeman second, but I guess it could work. Wish BJ could get going and put him at leadoff.

JusticeForAll23
08-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Are you talking about the appendectomy?

Ummm...yeah. I had one when I was 13. It didn't burst or anything, but it was close, and it was miserable. Even the day or two of stomach pains that kept coming and going -- and eventually just stayed -- leading up to the surgery were excruciating. I wasn't completely bed-ridden for a week after surgery, but I was close. Then I went back to school the second week. I played basketball and was doing very light stuff during practice (shooting drills, the "get loose" passing and dribbling drills, etc.) during that week, and didn't get back to going full-speed until the 3rd week after practice. Now, obviously I wasn't a world-class athlete and was probably a bit of a wuss; but it can take about a month to get back to 100% after having an appendectomy. And even then you're not quite in the same kind of shape you were pre-surgery, so you spend another week or so working yourself back into legit game shape.

chopdrew
08-21-2013, 10:40 PM
You guys stay on this. I'm gonna keep handling writing my screenplay "Doogie Blauser," about a 14 yr old prodigy MLB shortstop...

The Chosen One
08-21-2013, 10:45 PM
The worst part of this is, we may not be the #1 in the NL anymore. That's how valuable Heyward's defense and offense are to our team.

thethe
08-21-2013, 11:03 PM
The worst part of this is, we may not be the #1 in the NL anymore. That's how valuable Heyward's defense and offense are to our team.

It was arguable that we weren't #1 before it. Now I have trouble putting us any higher than 3.

Metaphysicist
08-21-2013, 11:33 PM

This gave me a PTSD flashback to 2006.

Metaphysicist
08-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Can't he at least wear a face guard??:YDS:

You joke, but it is the natural next step (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/21554802/just-because-dave-parker-playing-baseball-in-a-hockey-mask) in his evolution into Dave Parker:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0724/mlb_parker_300.jpg

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images//visual/whatshot/Dave-Parker-hockey-mask.png

DjGrizz
08-21-2013, 11:38 PM
4-6 weeks ain't nothin and I could see Heyward with his body composition being a freak healer ala Adrian Peterson

bravesnumberone
08-21-2013, 11:39 PM
4-6 weeks ain't nothin and I could see Heyward with his body composition being a freak healer ala Adrian Peterson

True, but by all accounts, Adrian Peterson loves his sport.

DjGrizz
08-21-2013, 11:39 PM
It was arguable that we weren't #1 before it. Now I have trouble putting us any higher than 3.

Idk I think our best record said otherwise

Strike3urout
08-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Just read this, what a piece of f'n awful news in the morning...

Can we please burn down Citi Field ASAP?!?

Get well soon Jason.

ramadon101
08-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Jose Daniel Abreu - can you play a corner OF spot? If so, come on down!

Heyward will be back for the playoffs. I don't know if he'll be effective or not, but he'll be back barring some setback during today's surgery that is outside the normal course.

Runnin
08-22-2013, 05:43 AM
This is just horrible news.

For all practical purposes, Frank and Fredi have to proceed as if he's out for the year, while secretly praying he's not. No better way to say it. Even if he does get back in the lineup how effective can we expect him to be? That's the kind of injury that's probably more than physical. He's a tough dude but how are his instincts going to react the next time he see a 90+mph fastball coming at his chin? Even his diving, lay out for everything defense could suffer for a while at first.

Dunit24
08-22-2013, 07:25 AM
As long as we continue to pitch well, we will be in the hunt for the best record. No question we need Heyward back though for the postseason. Id roll with this lineup until he and Uggla return. Now is BJs chance to show us something.

Schafer - RF
J.Upton - LF
Freeman - 1B
McCann - C
CJohnson - 3B
B.Upton - CF
Simmons - SS
Janish - 2B

Bench - E.Johnson, R.Johnson, Laird, Gattis, Terd

Of course if BJ doesnt get any better, id be fine with Schafer-Upton-Freeman-Gattis-McCann-CJohnson-Simmons-Janish

All in all, I just hope Heyward gets back in time for the postseason.

zitothebrave
08-22-2013, 07:32 AM
You joke, but it is the natural next step (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/21554802/just-because-dave-parker-playing-baseball-in-a-hockey-mask) in his evolution into Dave Parker:

2 Problems though. First Jason doesn't love the game like Parker. Second we all know Jason gave up crack, so how will we convince him to go on coke so that he will be willing to play early?

Julio3000
08-22-2013, 08:13 AM
This gave me a PTSD flashback to 2006.

Ha, I thought the exact same thing. Revenge of Jordesi!

Julio3000
08-22-2013, 08:15 AM
This is just horrible news.

For all practical purposes, Frank and Fredi have to proceed as if he's out for the year, while secretly praying he's not. No better way to say it. Even if he does get back in the lineup how effective can we expect him to be? That's the kind of injury that's probably more than physical. He's a tough dude but how are his instincts going to react the next time he see a 90+mph fastball coming at his chin? Even his diving, lay out for everything defense could suffer for a while at first.

Yeah, I think the problem is that even when his jaw heals, and provided he can maintain his strength, I suspect he's going to need to see a good bit of live, game-quality pitching just to get comfortable.

Runnin
08-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I think the problem is that even when his jaw heals, and provided he can maintain his strength, I suspect he's going to need to see a good bit of live, game-quality pitching just to get comfortable.
However, a playoff atmosphere could be a good healer.

JohnAdcox
08-22-2013, 08:24 AM

Also, the Minor League season is over. Would he be able to rehab with, like, the Marlins or someone? ;-)

jdunn
08-22-2013, 09:01 AM

We'll if nothing else, the football face mask would cut out those risky head first slides

Julio3000
08-22-2013, 09:36 AM

We agree.

—Marge Schott & Bill Shanks

jpx7
08-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately, I think Simmons might be heading back for that spot.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

jpx7
08-22-2013, 10:26 AM
The thing that worries me is that he wont be able to eat solid food and could lose some weight and not be in the best of playing shape.

Word is they already have him on a meal-plan:

I drink a Boost for breakfast, and Ensure for dessert.
Somebody ordered pancakes; I just sip the sizzurp.

50PoundHead
08-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Just to bring everyone down a little more, Francoeur is available.

Carolina Kid
08-22-2013, 11:02 AM

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/michael_scott/The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

bravebonebook
08-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Conspiracy Theory: Francouer paid Niese to hit Heyward so that Atlanta would have the need for a right fielder and he would be available to ride in on the white horse to save our season. If he could only play really well for a month, it would be a storybook ending for 'The Natural'.

bravesnumberone
08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Conspiracy Theory: Francouer paid Niese to hit Heyward so that Atlanta would have the need for a right fielder and he would be available to ride in on the white horse to save our season. If he could only play really well for a month, it would be a storybook ending for 'The Natural'.

Bill Shanks had to be in on the conspiracy too. I bet he'll be wetting himself if we did that. If we get Francoeuer, I've probably watched my last Braves game for the season.

Dunit24
08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Eh, I have no problem picking up Frenchy, but there is absolutely no need. Gattis/Schafer/RJohnson/Terd can all fill in.

50PoundHead
08-22-2013, 12:14 PM
I hope you guys know that I was not serious in the least.

emk418
08-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Yea I don't see why we would need to pick up an OF. I know the Francouer stuff was a joke but we don't need to grab anyone else. Justin moves to RF. Schafer/BJ continue to platoon in CF, and a combination of Gattis/Terdo/Schafer in LF. Schafer almost has to be in there though since we don't have a leadoff hitter.

VirginiaBrave
08-22-2013, 12:53 PM
My guess is we won't miss a beat. There are so many reasons why we shouldn't be where we are and yet we are. Its a huge hole but this club has an intangible about it that frankly I haven't seen since '91. We'll be fine.

mfree80
08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Eh, I have no problem picking up Frenchy, but there is absolutely no need. Gattis/Schafer/RJohnson/Terd can all fill in.

Agreed. What once appeared to be a glut of OF's now appears to be much needed depth.

Reed J, JHey, and missed time by Schafer and Gattis, has made the glut pretty important.

bravebonebook
08-22-2013, 01:58 PM
My guess is we won't miss a beat. There are so many reasons why we shouldn't be where we are and yet we are. Its a huge hole but this club has an intangible about it that frankly I haven't seen since '91. We'll be fine.

Man, this has got to be the year. So much success with so much adversity on the injury front. On the DL or out with season ending injuries this season include:
3 out of 7 starting pitchers
3 out of 7+ relief pitchers
5 out of 6 starting and reserve outfielders (putting Gattis here)
both of our catchers
4 out of 7+ infielders.

EDIT: forgot about Laird's kidney stone trip

That's roughly 16 players that were to contribute to a 25 man roster but missed time! This team has been hit big and small with injuries all year but, so far, has persevered. :eusa_clap:

NinersSBChamps
08-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Didn't see the HBP, but the Braves better retaliate against any Mets players next time we play them. It's too bad Wright is done and the Mets have nothing to play for though.

Gary82
08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Didn't see the HBP, but the Braves better retaliate against any Mets players next time we play them. It's too bad Wright is done and the Mets have nothing to play for though.

Why? There's no reason to retaliate. Both Hudson and Heyward were injured via accident.

Carp
08-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Frenchy always does seem to go on a hot streak when he gets traded/released by his usual August team.

bravesnumberone
08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Agreed that if any team can overcome something like this, it's the Braves. We've done it all yearlong. Can't even imagine where we'd be if we had been able to stay completely healthy.

As much grief as I give him for some of his head-scratching in-game moves, I think Fredi deserves a tremendous amount of credit for keeping this bunch on an even keel and focused throughout the season despite all the setbacks with injuries.

ChapelHillMatt
08-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Why? There's no reason to retaliate. Both Hudson and Heyward were injured via accident.

Agreed. Why do people feel the need to throw at someone every time one of our players get hurt?

Julio3000
08-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Just hit Harper again.

Hawk
08-22-2013, 05:19 PM
A silver lining?

Jim_Powell: Good news: Heywards mouth didn't have to be wired shut so he will be able to eat. Full story coming up on Fredi show @ 7ET on #Braves Radio. [http://twitter.com/Jim_Powell/status/370663758613327872]

gtcway
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM
How can I listen to this "#bravesradio" thingamadoobob?

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 05:38 PM
A silver lining?

Jim_Powell: Good news: Heywards mouth didn't have to be wired shut so he will be able to eat. Full story coming up on Fredi show @ 7ET on #Braves Radio. [http://twitter.com/Jim_Powell/status/370663758613327872]

Intended pun?

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 05:42 PM
A silver lining?

So, can Heyward still smoke crack then?

Hawk
08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm just trying to keep up with Julio.

The Chosen One
08-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Glad to see you've quickly picked up and adjusted nicely getting back in the game after years in isolation.

Also happy to see you've stuck around and are posting full-time for the time being. :cooter:

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Glad to see you've quickly picked up and adjusted nicely getting back in the game after years in isolation.

Also happy to see you've stuck around and are posting full-time for the time being. :cooter:

Thanks.

Russ2dollas
08-22-2013, 06:49 PM
DOB said heyward didnt get jaw wired. great for keeping his weight up

zitothebrave
08-22-2013, 06:52 PM
DOB said heyward didnt get jaw wired. great for keeping his weight up

Probably the best news. Hopefully he comes back in 4 weeks with a shield or something. Or maybe he'll rock a Sydney Crosby http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nhl/blog/052613_crosby.jpg

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Probably the best news. Hopefully he comes back in 4 weeks with a shield or something. Or maybe he'll rock a Sydney Crosby http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nhl/blog/052613_crosby.jpg

He who hath not love for baseball's agent said he would not be back for the regular season and in fact is very questionable for the playoffs

chipchildress
08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
how many times have we seen magical braves seasons get ruined by injury?
a couple years ago it was the chipper ACL among other things.

javy lopez in 99.

smoltz a time or two.

The Chosen One
08-22-2013, 09:17 PM
how many times have we seen magical braves seasons get ruined by injury?
a couple years ago it was the chipper ACL among other things.

javy lopez in 99.

smoltz a time or two.

Chipper AND Prado in 2010.

Didn't Prado go down with like 5 games left to go which made Brooksie the starting 2nd baseman the last week?

The Chipper injury was just depressing. If we had Prado AND Chipper that year, no doubt we beat the G-Men.

NinersSBChamps
08-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Agreed. Why do people feel the need to throw at someone every time one of our players get hurt?

The Mets have subsequently ruined the Braves season. No chance we win anything in the playoffs now. How do you accidentally drill someone in the jaw with a 90 MPH pitch?

Braves1976
08-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Chipper AND Prado in 2010.

Didn't Prado go down with like 5 games left to go which made Brooksie the starting 2nd baseman the last week?

The Chipper injury was just depressing. If we had Prado AND Chipper that year, no doubt we beat the G-Men.

Yea, there were a lot of injuries. A lot seem to forget what huge hits Brooksie had that week and all season to get us to the playoffs. Remember his big late hits that last week vs Florida? We don't even make the playoffs without them. But all you usually hear about is the costly error made in the 9th in the playoffs.

BTW, MLB Network did a piece on that error showing an angle that showed that the umpire actually screened Brooks on that play. I am not sure many saw that piece or really care about that though.

NYCBrave
08-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Don't know if anyone saw this on Rotoworld, but it's not sounding good:

Jason Heyward (jaw) is expected to miss the rest of the regular season after undergoing surgery Thursday to repair a fracture in his right jaw.

The Braves pegged his timetable at 4-6 weeks, but Heyward's agent, Victor Menocal, said his client won't return in September. In fact, his availability for the postseason is up in the air, as well. Heyward did not have to have his jaw wired shut, which is good news for his food consumption, but it doesn't really affect how quick his recovery will be.

bravesnumberone
08-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Yea, there were a lot of injuries. A lot seem to forget what huge hits Brooksie had that week and all season to get us to the playoffs. Remember his big late hits that last week vs Florida? We don't even make the playoffs without them. But all you usually hear about is the costly error made in the 9th in the playoffs.

BTW, MLB Network did a piece on that error showing an angle that showed that the umpire actually screened Brooks on that play. I am not sure many saw that piece or really care about that though.

I don't think I could bring myself to watch us get screwed by another umpire. The thing that pissed me off about that inning more than the error was that Kimbrel got SQUEEZED, and I didn't agree with lifting him. Not to get off topic, so back to the original. We lost some big big guys that year, and this year is really feeling like that now.

The Chosen One
08-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Don't know if anyone saw this on Rotoworld, but it's not sounding good:

Jason Heyward (jaw) is expected to miss the rest of the regular season after undergoing surgery Thursday to repair a fracture in his right jaw.

The Braves pegged his timetable at 4-6 weeks, but Heyward's agent, Victor Menocal, said his client won't return in September. In fact, his availability for the postseason is up in the air, as well. Heyward did not have to have his jaw wired shut, which is good news for his food consumption, but it doesn't really affect how quick his recovery will be.

:Sad:

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 10:46 PM
My bet is that Heyward plays in the postseason. He may not be ready, but he'll force the Braves to play him.

The Chosen One
08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
My bet is that Heyward plays in the postseason. He may not be ready, but he'll force the Braves to play him.

Smart move. Make people think he loves baseball so he doesn't get blamed for us losing in the postseason again.

bravesnumberone
08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't see how a broken jaw could keep him out all of October honestly, other than being rusty.

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Smart move. Make people think he loves baseball so he doesn't get blamed for us losing in the postseason again.

Worked for Andruw in 04 and 05.

rniki10
08-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Message from Jason this morning via Twitter...

- Morning. Blessed to see another day.

Before I'm asked to do any interviews regarding my most recent injury, I'd like to personally..

Thank EVERYONE for their well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of people that have reached out. That love, appreciation and respect makes it hard not to shed a tear. My friends, family and I are grateful. While baseball isn't life I love this game to death. It's also hard not to be frustrated and hurt for my teammates, coaches and fans that I have battled with and recieved support from all season. My heart goes out to them as I know there's never a right time to be injured but at this point in the season it hits home the most. As a group the Braves still have high expectations for the rest of the season and I will participte in whichever way time and healing allows me to do so. On or off the field my teammates always have my love and support. Good, bad or indifferent. Our common goal is to make the playoffs and excel in October. My personal goal is to heal in time to be ready to join my teammates and coaches on the field for the postseason with the mindset to finish what we've started. Looking forward to joining my team asap and showing them support until I can be on the field again with them. In the mean time I'll be doing my best to stay in shape. Putting my best foot forward for an opportunity to play in October.
I don't like taking up your time by talking about myself much. I hate to bring the attention to myself alone, while it's never all about me. It's about all of us involved in the game of baseball. But at the end of the day I wanted EVERYONE to recieve the "THANK YOU" and appreciation from me and only me because it's most genuine. Again thank you, and take care. Talk to u/ see u soon,

Jason

The Chosen One
08-23-2013, 07:47 AM
- Morning. Blessed to see another day.

Before I'm asked to do any interviews regarding my most recent injury, I'd like to personally..

Thank EVERYONE for their well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of people that have reached out. That love, appreciation and respect makes it hard not to shed a tear. My friends, family and I are grateful. While baseball isn't life I love this game to death. It's also hard not to be frustrated and hurt for my teammates, coaches and fans that I have battled with and recieved support from all season. My heart goes out to them as I know there's never a right time to be injured but at this point in the season it hits home the most. As a group the Braves still have high expectations for the rest of the season and I will participte in whichever way time and healing allows me to do so. On or off the field my teammates always have my love and support. Good, bad or indifferent. Our common goal is to make the playoffs and excel in October. My personal goal is to heal in time to be ready to join my teammates and coaches on the field for the postseason with the mindset to finish what we've started. Looking forward to joining my team asap and showing them support until I can be on the field again with them. In the mean time I'll be doing my best to stay in shape. Putting my best foot forward for an opportunity to play in October.
I don't like taking up your time by talking about myself much. I hate to bring the attention to myself alone, while it's never all about me. It's about all of us involved in the game of baseball. But at the end of the day I wanted EVERYONE to recieve the "THANK YOU" and appreciation from me and only me because it's most genuine. Again thank you, and take care. Talk to u/ see u soon,

Jason

:roll:

Dunit24
08-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Heyward will be back. The question will just be how rusty will he be?

bravebonebook
08-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Screw his agent! When the playoffs start, if he can play, he better play! I don't believe Heyward will end his season like this.

jpx7
08-23-2013, 11:43 AM

He may not love baseball, but damn does he love schemes.

NYCBrave
09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Here's the latest:

Jason Heyward (jaw) was cleared to play catch and hit off a tee on Tuesday afternoon.

Heyward underwent surgery in late August to repair multiple fractures in his jaw and is not expected to be ready for live game action until sometime in October. His status for the postseason is still uncertain.

tululush
09-03-2013, 05:57 PM
The first NLDS game is October 3rd. Exactly one month from today. I know they don't want to come out and make any promises about him coming back for the playoffs but if he is cleared to play catch and hit off a tee I would imagine he should be able to participate in live game action by then? Right? I wonder if he'd be ready to face live pitching in 3 weeks and then use the week to knock the rust off and be ready for the playoffs?

Here's the latest:

Jason Heyward (jaw) was cleared to play catch and hit off a tee on Tuesday afternoon.

Heyward underwent surgery in late August to repair multiple fractures in his jaw and is not expected to be ready for live game action until sometime in October. His status for the postseason is still uncertain.

zitothebrave
09-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Hopefully he comes back. I'm sure he'll have a jaw shield even though the oddsd of him getting hit up there are slim. Some scumbag pitchers will brush him back in hope of scaring him gotta be safe.

Bj1133
09-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Hopefully he comes back. I'm sure he'll have a jaw shield even though the oddsd of him getting hit up there are slim. Some scumbag pitchers will brush him back in hope of scaring him gotta be safe.

DOB has tweeted several times that Heyward is planning on wearing a protective mask equipped to his helmet once he returns

Gary82
09-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Heyward's new helmet

http://www.davidrm.com/rmphotoblog/images//2010/03/tj201003191417-2.jpg

All they have to do is mark a little A on it.

holden
09-04-2013, 11:59 AM
I hope his new walk-up music is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvb-1wjAtk4

(warning: swears)

Julio3000
09-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Heyward's new helmet

http://www.davidrm.com/rmphotoblog/images//2010/03/tj201003191417-2.jpg

All they have to do is mark a little A on it.

He will have to go to the Brotherhood outpost in Gwinnett to get the perk first.

benchguy
09-04-2013, 02:32 PM
doubt he will come back where he left off...my guess is he will not be the same
in the post season as he was before getting hit.. hope I'm wrong but I think it
will take a while to get back into form..

The first NLDS game is October 3rd. Exactly one month from today. I know they don't want to come out and make any promises about him coming back for the playoffs but if he is cleared to play catch and hit off a tee I would imagine he should be able to participate in live game action by then? Right? I wonder if he'd be ready to face live pitching in 3 weeks and then use the week to knock the rust off and be ready for the playoffs?

jpx7
09-04-2013, 02:32 PM
He will have to go to the Brotherhood outpost in Gwinnett to get the perk first.

I'd swing by Rivet City and grab that Baseball-Love bobble-head first, but that's just me.

MadduxFanII
09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
From what I understand, Heyward's more the type to hang out with the hookers and Jet fiends at Gomorrah in New Vegas.

CyYoung31
09-04-2013, 03:43 PM
From what I understand, Heyward's more the type to hang out with the hookers and Jet fiends at Gomorrah in New Vegas.

Nah, man. Skooma. He's all about the Skooma.

jpx7
09-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Nah, man. Skooma. He's all about the Skooma.

GIMME THAT MOON SUGAR.

Dalyn
09-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I am worried about the fallout from this thread.

Gary82
09-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Baseball. Baseball never changes.

Gary82
09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
WAR. WAR never changes.

Since the dawn of America, when our forefathers first discovered the killing power of bat to ball, runs have been scored in the name of everything: from God to justice to simple, psychotic stat head rage.

In the year 2013, after years of pennant races, the apathetic nature of Heyward could sustain itself no longer. The Braves were plunged into an abyss of Kameron Loe and Jose Constanza.

But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the season. Instead, the jaw injury was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of postseason history. For Heyward had succeeded in destroying our chances at home field advantage - but WAR, WAR never changes.

In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of sabermetrics by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters, known as RBIs. But when they emerged, they had only the hell of the wastes to greet them - all except those at ChopCountry. For on that fateful day, when home runs rained from the sky, the giant steel door of ChopCountry slid closed... and never reopened. It was here you were born. It is here you will die.

Because, at ChopCountry: no one ever enters, and no one ever leaves.

I'm insane.

CyYoung31
09-04-2013, 05:45 PM
WAR. WAR never changes.

Since the dawn of America, when our forefathers first discovered the killing power of bat to ball, runs have been scored in the name of everything: from God to justice to simple, psychotic stat head rage.

In the year 2013, after years of pennant races, the apathetic nature of Heyward could sustain itself no longer. The Braves were plunged into an abyss of Kameron Loe and Jose Constanza.

But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the season. Instead, the jaw injury was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of postseason history. For Heyward had succeeded in destroying our chances at home field advantage - but WAR, WAR never changes.

In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of sabermetrics by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters, known as RBIs. But when they emerged, they had only the hell of the wastes to greet them - all except those at ChopCountry. For on that fateful day, when home runs rained from the sky, the giant steel door of ChopCountry slid closed... and never reopened. It was here you were born. It is here you will die.

Because, at ChopCountry: no one ever enters, and no one ever leaves.

I'm insane.

Excellent.

Julio3000
09-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Worthy of Ron Perlman narration.

Gary82
09-04-2013, 09:05 PM
http://carboncostume.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/one-city-of-lost-children-21.jpg

goosecreekbrave
09-06-2013, 06:19 AM
I am worried about the fallout from this thread.

NICE!

bravebonebook
09-06-2013, 09:15 AM
At least Heyward didn't take an arrow to the knee...

And per FO:NV, Niese better remember that baseballs bats can be upgraded with maple bodies, cork cores and NAILS!!

jason27nc
09-06-2013, 09:17 AM
doubt he will come back where he left off...my guess is he will not be the same
in the post season as he was before getting hit.. hope I'm wrong but I think it
will take a while to get back into form..

I think we see him in the last series vs the Phillies. I also think he will come back as good if not better than he was when he got hurt. The reason being, he will have a lot of time to work with his hitting coach Cj Stewert while he is out. Cj will have him on his game when he comes back. It may take him a game or two to see live pitching but that will be all it takes.

The Chosen One
09-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Tom Hart tweeted:

Jason Heyward will resume "normal action" during on field BP Friday. On pace to join Instructional League, which starts Monday, as planned.

THANK THE LAWD. :bowdown:

A rusty Heyward in RF and hitting leadoff, is better than Schafer/BJ leading off. Cuts down the strikeouts dramatically.

NYCBrave
09-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Tom Hart tweeted:

Jason Heyward will resume "normal action" during on field BP Friday. On pace to join Instructional League, which starts Monday, as planned.

A rusty Heyward in RF and hitting leadoff, is better than Schafer/BJ leading off. Cuts down the strikeouts dramatically.

Any speculation on how long he'll need in the instructional league? Hypothetically, if he's there for a week, he's still got a week of the season left.

Enscheff
09-10-2013, 10:25 AM
It really doesn't matter. If Heyward can play in Game 1 of the postseason he absolutely must be in there, no matter what.

And PLEASE make him wear every piece of protective equipment possible to the plate until the postseason. last thing the Braves need is for him to get hit in the hand by some 18 year old kid throwing 90 MPH.

In fact, lets just wrap the entire team in bubble wrap for the rest of the month. I almost had a heart attack when Justin got hit in the hand a week or so ago.

weso1
09-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Tom Hart tweeted:

That gives him a couple of weeks to get things going before the playoffs. Hopefully that's enough time.

Gary82
09-10-2013, 10:50 AM
When he gets back, I want him in CF. The outfield should be Heyward, J Upton, and Gattis. You can bring in Schafer in the late innings as a defensive replacement for Gattis.

Garmel
09-10-2013, 11:07 AM
When he gets back, I want him in CF. The outfield should be Heyward, J Upton, and Gattis. You can bring in Schafer in the late innings as a defensive replacement for Gattis.

It's looking like that's our best bet.

zitothebrave
09-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Yeah, but I would go with a Schafer/Gattis platoon.

The Chosen One
09-10-2013, 11:33 AM
IDK how I feel about Heyward being in center... it means he'd have to dive for balls face first... exposing the jaw a little.

Julio3000
09-10-2013, 11:45 AM
IDK how I feel about Heyward being in center... it means he'd have to dive for balls face first... exposing the jaw a little.

Diving for baseballs means loving baseball, so, no worries.

BlackwaterPark
09-10-2013, 11:56 AM

But having him in right means he may go face first into a wall....

NYCBrave
09-10-2013, 12:22 PM

I was under the impression that since he's able to resume all baseball activities, he's healed?

Julio3000
09-10-2013, 12:39 PM
If I were worried about him—I'm not—I would be worried more about how he would respond if he were in a position to take an impact, not whether or not he's fully recovered physically. I assume he wouldn't be cleared to play if he wasn't healed.

The Chosen One
09-10-2013, 12:52 PM
If I were worried about him—I'm not—I would be worried more about how he would respond if he were in a position to take an impact, not whether or not he's fully recovered physically. I assume he wouldn't be cleared to play if he wasn't healed.

IDK about that... I mean someone did clear BJ and Uggla to play...