PDA

View Full Version : ENOUGH. Call up Swanson, trade for a hitter...

rico43
05-27-2016, 12:44 AM
No one, not even the biggest cynics on this board, thought the Braves would SUCK as badly as they have in the first two months of the season. Fredi is gone; that is one part of the master plan that has fallen into place so far.

But with mind-numbing events like Garcia's defense, Olivera's entire year, Aybar's defense and dining mishaps, Winkler's elbow (still makes me cringe), Inciarte's game two injury, this team is spiraling downward into what might be a 100-loss season or worse.

Enough. Is. Enough. I have an 86-year-old father who watches the Braves every night, and he doesn't want to hear about 2-3 years down the road. There is rebuilding, and there is mutally assured destruction. Every time the Marlins tore down their team, they loaded their system with good young players and PLAYED THEM. We seem to want to acquire as many prospects as we can and no one wants to start the "clock ticking."

We need to start sorthing things about. Granted, we've already found Blair wanting, Gant rushed, but Perez, Kelly, Folty ready for prime time. We've found a third baseman, but reasons beyond my understanding have led to them playing d'Arnaud only occasionally. Frenchy's comeback has been all we hoped.

I want these things, and soon: Trade Teheran for the best hitter available; no more prospects, unless it's Andrew Benintendi. Trade Viz if and only if the return is there.

Bring up Swanson. Put him at shortstop. Leave him there. He's old enough and a savvy enough to deal with the ups and downs. Whatever needs to be done with Aybar, do it.

The player I wanted to target is Puig, but I will be honest if not politically correct: I have major reservations after Olivera and Garcia. Now, the person I want to target is Jay Bruce.

Time to quit being the National League's b***h.

The Chosen One
05-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Sorry my good colleague, I'm all in for the #1 pick in next year's draft.

And I believe most of us hoped the Braves would have never sniffed at Francouer like they did Neck.

auyushu
05-27-2016, 12:59 AM

Hate to break it to you, but neither trading Julio nor bringing up (and rushing the hell out of) Swanson is going to stop this from happening this year.

rico43
05-27-2016, 01:04 AM
Hate to break it to you, but neither trading Julio nor bringing up (and rushing the hell out of) Swanson is going to stop this from happening this year.

But I want any of Swason's growing pains to be OUT of his system.

And Donald, they have already wrapped up a top three draft pick for next year. If they play .500 ball the rest of the year, they are 71-91 (before Thursday's loss).

Swanson is older than Carlos Correa and Corey Seager. His high level of college play counts as seasoning in my book. He is a born leader who does not need to be coddled. He will not have stars in his eyes!

The Chosen One
05-27-2016, 01:13 AM

And Donald, they have already wrapped up a top three draft pick for next year. If they play .500 ball the rest of the year, they are 71-91 (before Thursday's loss).

Swanson is older than Carlos Correa and Corey Seager. His high level of college play counts as seasoning in my book. He is a born leader who does not need to be coddled. He will not have stars in his eyes!

Who is Donald?

Anyways, I want #1 pick, not #2 or #3.

goldfly
05-27-2016, 01:26 AM
Don't bring up Swanson and don't trade Julio

auyushu
05-27-2016, 01:48 AM

Why? So we can waste one of his controlled years on a 2017 that will likely be almost as bad as this year and at best will be a .500 team? Our offense will be just as crappy next year with a seasoned Swanson as it will if he is called up in June. And without Julio our pitching isn't going to be all that hot either.

rico43
05-27-2016, 03:02 AM
Why? So we can waste one of his controlled years on a 2017 that will likely be almost as bad as this year and at best will be a .500 team? Our offense will be just as crappy next year with a seasoned Swanson as it will if he is called up in June. And without Julio our pitching isn't going to be all that hot either.

Control years are not, and will never be, an issue with Swanson. He will be the next franchise player, who will be paid accordingly.

The Chosen One
05-27-2016, 03:20 AM
I also have to remind people, these players' agents aren't stupid either. They're gonna inform the player when a team is trying to suppress or stiff their client by trying to hold out or an extra year. The Cubs FO was getting heat from fans for trying to keep Kris Bryant off the opening day roster until the super two when everyone knew he was clearly ready. It doesn't show much loyalty or commitment to the player if you call them up after a deadline to keep them for "cheaps".

Most of these guys will be in their late 20s waiting for the one big contract. In Dansby's case we could control him until his 30s when he's leaving his prime. He may not get as big of a contract as say his age 28-29 year.

Sure it's great in theory for the FO to just maximize control and dollars for the length of player's prime. But you're dealing with human emotions here not being quantified.

Andruw was very contract friendly for us. We held him long enough just before he exited his prime and became a part time player. Chipper as well. I'm sure it really had a lot to do with the way the organization treated both. Purposely waiting for a deadline to call someone up that is pretty much ready is just telling the player we value keeping you on a leash. In Swanson's case I didn't mind him starting the year in minors same as Ozzie. But both appear to be equal if not the better options than our current middle infield at the ML level. Since we're close to the super two I don't mind keeping them down a little bit longer but both should be here by August 1st if they continue to rake. If they're both not here then the organization is cheaping out. Hart said the day after Fredi's firing that their service time situations had nothing to do with them being called up now or later. I would hope they'd wait until after the S2 deadline.

goldfly
05-27-2016, 03:26 AM
even with that being said and what not

there is ZERO reason to bring him up this year. none, not one real reason to rush him to use this year

and i really don't get why soo many are down to trade Julio. you better blow the doors off to get him

he is 25 and signed through the 2019 season. gtfoh with the trade talk as if we need to dump a 25 year old with talent that is signed long term

The Chosen One
05-27-2016, 03:32 AM
even with that being said and what not

there is ZERO reason to bring him up this year. none, not one real reason to rush him to use this year

and i really don't get why soo many are down to trade Julio. you better blow the doors off to get him

he is 25 and signed through the 2019 season. gtfoh with the trade talk as if we need to dump a 25 year old with talent that is signed long term

I think Swanson is a different case than Albies. He's older and faced more levels of competition than Oz. So I'm not opposed to bringing him up before Oz.

On the JT thing I'd trade him if you got even half or 2/3 of the Miller deal. We probably won't fleece anyone again after the Miller deal by we can definitely do almost as well with JT's contract.

Russ2dollas
05-27-2016, 06:00 AM
Can't force it.

We have two chips left bc we won't trade ff. Tehran and viz. they have to be maximized or kept.

This team wants to win soon. At some point you have to keep some of the few legit mlb players you have.

Swanson is going to come up with roster expansion IMO. I think he can handle it. I think the braves think he'll take an extension. I also think they want to stagger him and albies if possible.

You have to wait until after the draft IMO and see if you get a college bat.

I think you need 2/3 of the Shelby deal for jt. I think viz req a haul like the phils got. Otherwise try again at winter meetings.

Remember worst to first....

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 07:02 AM
Logic and cold calculation not emotion should drive these decisions.

-----------your friend Spock

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 07:07 AM
Control years are not, and will never be, an issue with Swanson. He will be the next franchise player, who will be paid accordingly.

Remains to be seen.

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 07:09 AM
Granted, we've already found Blair wanting, Gant rushed, but Perez, Kelly, Folty ready for prime time.

Maybe. Maybe not with all these guys. Need a bigger sample.

Kelly?

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 07:11 AM
We've found a third baseman, but reasons beyond my understanding have led to them playing d'Arnaud only occasionally.

Maybe. Probably not.

Small sample of major league at bats this year says maybe.

Large sample from the minors says probably not.

Beckham is more likely to sustain a decent performance the rest of this year. Snit gives indications of understanding this.

Deester11
05-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Don't bring up Swanson and don't trade Julio

I'm with you!!!!!

NinersSBChamps
05-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Lol.

smootness
05-27-2016, 07:51 AM
With all due respect to your father, we need to rush our prospect development and trade away important assets because he doesn't want to hear about 2-3 years down the road?

57Brave
05-27-2016, 08:07 AM
they would be nuts to trade Tehran for anyone not named Harper,Trout or McCutchen.

50PoundHead
05-27-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm curious why d'Arnaud is getting ABs.

Knucksie
05-27-2016, 08:12 AM
Yeah, tanking is a deliberate strategy. Except for Zito and a few others, most of you aren't hockey fans also. This tactic was obvious in the NHL, in order to assure selection of can't miss, blue chip, future superstar. So, they instituted a draft lottery system to try and curtail the practice. It still made little difference, as 2 "generational talents" were draft eligible last June. Point is that #1 or no lower than #2 is part of the master plan. They're just not going to come out and tell you so. Meantime, message board rants is like pissing in the wind. Further, this "trade Vizcaino" trend on the board kind of disturbs me.

rawwr
05-27-2016, 08:14 AM
Well, this is good evidence of why fans would not make good GMs.

We suck this year, we're supposed to suck this year. It's still only May, so you need to either stop watching the team or figure out some way to watch that keeps you sane (I mainly tune in to watch our young pitchers).

Panic moves like rushing Swanson and blowing our wad on Jay F***in Bruce are a ticket to never-ending mediocrity.

thewupk
05-27-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm curious why d'Arnaud is getting ABs.

hot hand

sturg33
05-27-2016, 08:27 AM
gtfoh with the trade talk as if we need to dump a 25 year old with talent that is signed long term

All the Braves have done the last 2 years is trade young players with talent

Heyward
Upton
Kimbrel
Wood
Simmons
Gattis
Peraza

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 08:28 AM

We suck this year, we're supposed to suck this year. It's still only May, so you need to either stop watching the team or figure out some way to watch that keeps you sane (I mainly tune in to watch our young pitchers).

Panic moves like rushing Swanson and blowing our wad on Jay F***in Bruce are a ticket to never-ending mediocrity.

I agree. But I would add that I think we can have a .500 team next year and should strive to improve it. There are ways to do so that don't cannibalize from the future (except for having a lower position in the draft). We should for example avoid signing guys in the FA market that would cost us a pick or that would imply a large financial commitment during the time frame when we would want to have the funds to extent some of the younger guys coming up through the minors.

Dalyn
05-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Heyward
Upton
Kimbrel
Wood
Simmons
Gattis
Peraza

You forgot one...

...Stella!

.299 .397 .522 .920

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 08:44 AM
You forgot one...

...Stella!

.299 .397 .522 .920

At least we got Viz for him. And now we can trade Viz!

clvclv
05-27-2016, 08:45 AM
If you've made it this far, you really have no choice other than to hold off on Swanson at this point - not until next season, but until the Super-Two cutoff. That said, something drastic needs to happen, beginning with releasing Aybar.

It's obvious that pretty much ANY offensive improvement will give this team a legitimate shot to win more games - they're "in" most of them now that the schedule has gotten a little more kind, and the pitching has been good enough to make them competitive if they could score 3-4 runs in most games. The young Pitchers are going to toss a clunker or two here and there, but that's part of the process. If Dansby goes on a tear for a couple weeks after the cutoff date, I'd promote him - until then, I'd tweak the lineup, pen, and rotation slightly and keep riding things out.

1.) Release Aybar - even if he has anything left, we're not going to get it out of him. You can see it in his eyes - he doesn't want to be here and doesn't care that anyone knows it.

2.) Move d'Arnaud to SS and leave him there until Swanson forces him out of the lineup. If we're going to get *hitty defense at the position, at least play somebody there that can help the offense.

3.) I completely understand why Snitker's mixing-and-matching while looking for a spark, but doing so with a bunch of AAAA players and washed-up vets isn't going to help the young Pitchers. It's not going to be long before the starters ALL feel like Shelby did last season - no matter how well they pitch, they have no shot at a win unless they throw a shutout. Given Folty and Perez' shaky control, that's just begging them to crumble - they need to feel like it's "OK" to give up a run or two if they can minimize the damage and hold teams there.

4.) Quit screwing around with Frenchy and play Mallex every day. If we're willing to deal with the growing pains on the mound (and with Dansby when he eventually comes up), deal with them with Mallex. This "second leadoff guy" in the 9 hole is such a waste. If the thought is that you can score more runs with Mallex and Ender hitting in front of Freddie and running wild, I'm sure the Pitchers would LOVE that to happen early in games - *ell, they might even have a lead to work with once in a while. Even if you're going to keep hitting down there, he needs to actually play against lefties if he's ever going to figure out how to hit them. Frenchy's been great WHEN he's been used for what he's good for - a pinch-hitter and a defensive replacement in the corners late in games. Use him when one of the starters can use a blow against a tough lefty, otherwise I don't want to see him before the 7th or 8th inning, period. Same thing with Castro - if you need to slide Chase to 3B and Beckham to 2B to be better defensively, that's fine. Otherwise, park his *ss on the bench until he can actually do something to help you win a game.

5.) Trade Markakis to the Royals no matter how much salary you have to eat, and get Garcia back up here - we've got to have his bat back. They both want - and need him. Get Ender's arm in RF where it belongs (not to mention get Nick's out of there).

6.) Quit screwing around with A. J. behind the plate. He's Tyler's backup, so play him like it. He's fine in the clubhouse, and doesn't call as bad a game as many think. Cut out the platoon crap and play him when Flowers needs a day off.

7.) Get Simmons up here by releasing EOF and give everyone in the pen a role - Vizcaino closing, Shae in the 8th, everybody else somewhere in front of them. EOF has been a LOOGY at best (the few times he's been worth spitting on), and we've got other guys who can fill that role.

This team needs offense so desperately that you simply have to play the bats - no matter what that does to the defense. The Pitchers have done a good job of working around bad defense most of the year - if you can get them some more runs, there's no reason to think they won't still do so. Run, run, run - every time Ender, Chase, and Mallex get on base, they need to be on the move.

RF - Inciarte
SS- d'Arnaud
1B - Freeman
C - Flowers
2B- KJ
3B- Beckham
LF- Garcia
SP
CF- Mallex

clvclv
05-27-2016, 08:47 AM
You forgot one...

...Stella!

.299 .397 .522 .920

67 ABs certainly can't be thought of as a small simple size at all - he really ought to be their All-Star representative if you think about it. As a matter of fact, maybe he can backup Chase d'Arnaud since he's hitting .375/.468/.525/.993.

rawwr
05-27-2016, 08:51 AM
I agree. But I would add that I think we can have a .500 team next year and should strive to improve it. There are ways to do so that don't cannibalize from the future (except for having a lower position in the draft). We should for example avoid signing guys in the FA market that would cost us a pick or that would imply a large financial commitment during the time frame when we would want to have the funds to extent some of the younger guys coming up through the minors.

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree that the team probably won't be awful next year and that we should start looking to build on it. I'm even in favor of trading Teheran if it brings us back a Benintendi or Bregman. I'm just not in favor of spending prospects to get Jay "-1.2 WAR since 2013" Bruce or starting Swanson's service clock early in the name of sucking a little less this season. When your reasoning includes propositions like "Casey Kelly is ready for prime time" and "Chase D'arnaud is our 3B of the future," you're probably not making decisions from a rational place.

Julio3000
05-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I'm mystified as to how trading Julion would make us better in the short run. Even if we got a stud corner guy for him, we still have to replace the 150 or so quality innings that he's going to get us from here out. We then have a rotation full of youngsters whose workloads would have to be carefully managed, so those innings would likely end up being taken on by Bud Norris or the like.

sturg33
05-27-2016, 09:07 AM
67 ABs certainly can't be thought of as a small simple size at all - he really ought to be their All-Star representative if you think about it. As a matter of fact, maybe he can backup Chase d'Arnaud since he's hitting .375/.468/.525/.993.

Funny how you hate all former Braves... when they had no choice in their departures

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I'm mystified as to how trading Julion would make us better in the short run.

The logic would similar to trading Simmons (whether you favored the move or not is another matter). But I guess we are not in the same place as we were last off-season. That seems to be the gist of JC's recent comments (which need the usual spin disclaimer).

Preacher
05-27-2016, 09:18 AM
If you've made it this far, you really have no choice other than to hold off on Swanson at this point - not until next season, but until the Super-Two cutoff. That said, something drastic needs to happen, beginning with releasing Aybar.

It's obvious that pretty much ANY offensive improvement will give this team a legitimate shot to win more games - they're "in" most of them now that the schedule has gotten a little more kind, and the pitching has been good enough to make them competitive if they could score 3-4 runs in most games. The young Pitchers are going to toss a clunker or two here and there, but that's part of the process. If Dansby goes on a tear for a couple weeks after the cutoff date, I'd promote him - until then, I'd tweak the lineup, pen, and rotation slightly and keep riding things out.

1.) Release Aybar - even if he has anything left, we're not going to get it out of him. You can see it in his eyes - he doesn't want to be here and doesn't care that anyone knows it.

2.) Move d'Arnaud to SS and leave him there until Swanson forces him out of the lineup. If we're going to get *hitty defense at the position, at least play somebody there that can help the offense.

3.) I completely understand why Snitker's mixing-and-matching while looking for a spark, but doing so with a bunch of AAAA players and washed-up vets isn't going to help the young Pitchers. It's not going to be long before the starters ALL feel like Shelby did last season - no matter how well they pitch, they have no shot at a win unless they throw a shutout. Given Folty and Perez' shaky control, that's just begging them to crumble - they need to feel like it's "OK" to give up a run or two if they can minimize the damage and hold teams there.

4.) Quit screwing around with Frenchy and play Mallex every day. If we're willing to deal with the growing pains on the mound (and with Dansby when he eventually comes up), deal with them with Mallex. This "second leadoff guy" in the 9 hole is such a waste. If the thought is that you can score more runs with Mallex and Ender hitting in front of Freddie and running wild, I'm sure the Pitchers would LOVE that to happen early in games - *ell, they might even have a lead to work with once in a while. Even if you're going to keep hitting down there, he needs to actually play against lefties if he's ever going to figure out how to hit them. Frenchy's been great WHEN he's been used for what he's good for - a pinch-hitter and a defensive replacement in the corners late in games. Use him when one of the starters can use a blow against a tough lefty, otherwise I don't want to see him before the 7th or 8th inning, period. Same thing with Castro - if you need to slide Chase to 3B and Beckham to 2B to be better defensively, that's fine. Otherwise, park his *ss on the bench until he can actually do something to help you win a game.

5.) Trade Markakis to the Royals no matter how much salary you have to eat, and get Garcia back up here - we've got to have his bat back. They both want - and need him. Get Ender's arm in RF where it belongs (not to mention get Nick's out of there).

6.) Quit screwing around with A. J. behind the plate. He's Tyler's backup, so play him like it. He's fine in the clubhouse, and doesn't call as bad a game as many think. Cut out the platoon crap and play him when Flowers needs a day off.

7.) Get Simmons up here by releasing EOF and give everyone in the pen a role - Vizcaino closing, Shae in the 8th, everybody else somewhere in front of them. EOF has been a LOOGY at best (the few times he's been worth spitting on), and we've got other guys who can fill that role.

This team needs offense so desperately that you simply have to play the bats - no matter what that does to the defense. The Pitchers have done a good job of working around bad defense most of the year - if you can get them some more runs, there's no reason to think they won't still do so. Run, run, run - every time Ender, Chase, and Mallex get on base, they need to be on the move.

RF - Inciarte
SS- d'Arnaud
1B - Freeman
C - Flowers
2B- KJ
3B- Beckham
LF- Garcia
SP
CF- Mallex

very good post.

clvclv
05-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Funny how you hate all former Braves... when they had no choice in their departures

Not as funny as how some people would eat the corn out of Tommy's *hit are.

Honestly - he's THAT big a loss?

453 ABs, .260/.338/.360/.698, 29 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 4 HRs, 2 SBs

Preacher
05-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Everybody knew this year would be bad, and now that we are worse than what we thought - some people want to pull the plug?

Tell me, whats the difference between a 75 win season or a 60 win season? How does the 75 win season actually help the Braves more in the long-term? You still don't get anywhere near the playoffs, you get a lesser draft pick, less slot money............. I love the Braves, but if this season is going to be a lost year -- make it epically LOST and get the best draft pick.

You have to take the long-view in the rebuild and not make rash decisions to chase useless wins.

Let me tell you; as a Phoenix Suns fan -- there's nothing worse in sports than mediocrity.

Dalyn
05-27-2016, 09:24 AM

I like Stella!. I even want him back on the team. That is different than thinking he was some big loss. The Braves got the best in that deal.

sturg33
05-27-2016, 09:25 AM

It was just a fun comment from Dalyn who always liked TLS... you've of course get butt-hurt whenever the almighty Johns are questioned

Dalyn
05-27-2016, 09:29 AM
It was just a fun comment from Dalyn who always liked TLS...

Yeah. I have fun with Stella!. It's one of the reasons I like him. Same way with Cody Martin. That doesn't mean I actually think they are supreme stars in the making, though I WOULD love to see Stella! in the ideal position for him throughout a full year. I think he could put up something like .282 .377 .433.

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 09:49 AM
Yeah. I have fun with Stella!. It's one of the reasons I like him. Same way with Cody Martin. That doesn't mean I actually think they are supreme stars in the making, though I WOULD love to see Stella! in the ideal position for him throughout a full year. I think he could put up something like .282 .377 .433.

Martin Prado is having a wonderful season.

clvclv
05-27-2016, 09:51 AM
It was just a fun comment from Dalyn who always liked TLS... you've of course get butt-hurt whenever the almighty Johns are questioned

I like La Stella fine, and when he's being put in situations where he can be successful he's a useful player. Every team needs guys like that. The thing is, the majority of people like you just throw his name out there when you want to take shots at the Johns.

The simple fact is that Tommy's not good enough to be an everyday player regardless of where you play him, and we got a much better return for him than anyone had the right to expect. Utility guys that perform well when used correctly grow on trees, and we've got more of them than anyone needs - even without La Stella.

Dalyn
05-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Martin Prado is having a wonderful season.

:eusa_naughty:

50PoundHead
05-27-2016, 10:01 AM
hot hand

I don't think d'Arnaud goes above lukewarm.

50PoundHead
05-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Dalyn if Braves somehow bring Prado back.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l9aUu3Uus_c/hqdefault.jpg

sturg33
05-27-2016, 10:10 AM
I like La Stella fine, and when he's being put in situations where he can be successful he's a useful player. Every team needs guys like that. The thing is, the majority of people like you just throw his name out there when you want to take shots at the Johns.

The simple fact is that Tommy's not good enough to be an everyday player regardless of where you play him, and we got a much better return for him than anyone had the right to expect. Utility guys that perform well when used correctly grow on trees, and we've got more of them than anyone needs - even without La Stella.

I'd challenge you to find one instance where I brought him up

Dalyn
05-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Dalyn if Braves somehow bring Prado back.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l9aUu3Uus_c/hqdefault.jpg

This is entirely too accurate. If you could tilt down, you would see Prado celebrating his new contract on a boat. Death from above, baby.

Dalyn
05-27-2016, 10:17 AM
I'd challenge you to find one instance where I brought him up

Yeah. I think I'm pretty much the only person who ever mentions him.

Five
05-27-2016, 10:23 AM
No one, not even the biggest cynics on this board, thought the Braves would SUCK as badly as they have in the first two months of the season.

I thought we'd be worse.

Horsehide Harry
05-27-2016, 10:39 AM
"I have an 86-year-old father who watches the Braves every night, and he doesn't want to hear about 2-3 years down the road."

That's certainly understandable but has no bearing on what should be done.

The win now at the expense of any concern for tomorrow approach is part of what got the Braves in the mess they now are in. The rebuild should have been done at least 5 years ago instead of slapping on a solid donut spare each time there was a flat in hopes of winning one more checkered flag. Now, we've got our car in the pits with a blown engine and no tires, ten technology generations behind, the driver has just been fired and you want to start slapping the new state of the art parts onto the wreck so you can at least watch the car go round, and round and round and maybe, just maybe other cars will blow an engine so you at least get the illusion of getting better.

50PoundHead
05-27-2016, 10:52 AM
"I have an 86-year-old father who watches the Braves every night, and he doesn't want to hear about 2-3 years down the road."

That's certainly understandable but has no bearing on what should be done.

The win now at the expense of any concern for tomorrow approach is part of what got the Braves in the mess they now are in. The rebuild should have been done at least 5 years ago instead of slapping on a solid donut spare each time there was a flat in hopes of winning one more checkered flag. Now, we've got our car in the pits with a blown engine and no tires, ten technology generations behind, the driver has just been fired and you want to start slapping the new state of the art parts onto the wreck so you can at least watch the car go round, and round and round and maybe, just maybe other cars will blow an engine so you at least get the illusion of getting better.

They should have invested in the young core of Freeman and Heyward and not pursued the other high-end guys like Uggla and the Uptons.

Enscheff
05-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Let's just hope the FO isn't as emotionally irrational as the OP.

Horsehide Harry
05-27-2016, 11:28 AM
1. Trade ANY veteran of value for future pieces and payroll relief. This isn't "fire-sale" which is getting rid of damaged goods at cut rate prices. This is a planned effort of turning 1 player into cash (money saved on payroll commitment) and multiple helpful pieces for when you can expect a possibility of REALLY being good again (and sustaining that level for an indefinite time).
A. An example of this MIGHT be: Teheran and Inciarte to Colorado for Dahl, McMahon and C Dom Nunez; OR Teheran to Boston for OF Benintendi and 1B Sam Travis;
B. Maybe Freeman in a package to Cleveland for Frazier and Bradley, etc.
C. Markakis back to Baltimore (along with a little cash) for Trey Mancini
D. Viz and Grilli to Texas for Lewis Brinson.
2. Load up on as much draft position and cash for 2016 as you can (they seem to be already doing this).
3. Break the bank on International signings in 2016 (avoid Cubans and Asians who are seen as ready or near ready ML options since they are usually overvalued). Bring in as many Maitan, Guiterrez and Severino's as you can understanding that each is likely a minimum of 4 years away, probably 6.
4. Don't worry about the record for 2016. The team is proven it's bad. Incremental improvement is bad for the rebuild, not good at this point. Draft at the top of the board in 2017.
5. Break in Swanson and Albies (and any other near term acquisitions that you get from the trade mentioned above) in September call ups to give them a taste and see how they react.
6. 2016-2017 offseason focus on incremental FA help and targeted trades where you are taking short term salary back without having to give up high end talent. Save your money and flexibility for the 2017-2018 FA crop.
7. Play the young team in 2017. Sure, they won't all be ready and sure they won't be hugely better BUT 2017 is the year to start the infusion process. The few veterans you have like Flowers will be hugely important in helping the young guys.
8. Unless the new CBA changes the equation, international signings in 2017 will be limited.
9. Fill holes in the 2017-2018 FA signing period where you'll have guys like 1B Hosmer; 3B Moustakas; C LuCroy; a number of OF; a number of SP and RP.
10. Pick early and often in the 2018 draft depending on how bad the 2017 turns out - make no mistake, it WILL be bad, just increments of bad.
11. Make 2018 the year you push to make a run back towards the top with intents of staying there. In 2018 you MIGHT be able to field a team of:

SS Albies
2B Swanson
CF Dahl
RF Frazier
3B McMahon
LF Brinson
1B Bradley
C Nunez

with other possibilities including OF M Smith, OF Peterson, OF Acuna, OF/1B Davidson, 3B Ruiz, 3B Riley etc.
with low minors guys like Maitan and the other latin guys and all the bats brought in from the 15, 16, 17 & 18 drafts

SP could be:

RHP Folty
RHP Wisler
RHP Blair
LHP Newcomb
RHP Sims

With guys like Allard, Touki, Jenkins, Fried, Soroka, Ellis, Sanchez, Gant, Whalen, Povse in the wings

You build your relief corps from guys like: Cervenka, Krol, Simmons, Withrow, Banuelos, Bird, Thurman, Hursch, Cabrera, etc.

You have a super young team and can afford to bring in pen help like a closer or a star SP as needed.

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 11:32 AM
I would consider moving Wisler for the right package. Some teams might prefer him to Julion. And imo his expected surplus value over remaining years of contractual control is now a bit higher than Julion. We would have to win that trade like any other. But he might be the most valuable chip we have on the major league roster.

nsacpi
05-27-2016, 11:39 AM
8. Unless the new CBA changes the equation, international signings in 2017 will be limited.

My understanding is that our international pool for next year will not be affected by us exceeding the pool this year. We pay a fine (tax) and we are restricted in how much we can pay individual prospects the next two years. I also believe those restrictions go away if we trade our international pool slots. So there is a case for trading it so that its full value can be realized by another team. We will have one of the biggest maybe the biggest international pool next year.

Knucksie
05-27-2016, 11:43 AM

Some of these guys have actually been owners of fantasy league teams. That makes them experts.

Horsehide Harry
05-27-2016, 11:51 AM
My understanding is that our international pool for next year will not be affected by us exceeding the pool this year. We pay a fine (tax) and we are restricted in how much we can pay individual prospects the next two years. I also believe those restrictions go away if we trade our international pool slots. So there is a case for trading it so that its full value can be realized by another team. We will have one of the biggest maybe the biggest international pool next year.

Agree. Even if there is restriction on amounts available to sign players, advantage will be had in trading the slots as long as the rules don't change.

chipchildress
05-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Everybody knew this year would be bad, and now that we are worse than what we thought - some people want to pull the plug?

Tell me, whats the difference between a 75 win season or a 60 win season? How does the 75 win season actually help the Braves more in the long-term? You still don't get anywhere near the playoffs, you get a lesser draft pick, less slot money............. I love the Braves, but if this season is going to be a lost year -- make it epically LOST and get the best draft pick.

You have to take the long-view in the rebuild and not make rash decisions to chase useless wins.

Let me tell you; as a Phoenix Suns fan -- there's nothing worse in sports than mediocrity.

preach it!

where would the spurs have been without getting that number one pick to be able to draft time duncan?
think the nats are glad they had number one to get harper?
i bet the braves look back and appreciate the opportunity to draft chipper jones, eh?

it's not often you can really be bad and it doesn't matter. this is the year for the braves. they suck. every knows it. their stadium is falling apart and nobody cares since they're leaving. nobody wants to go to games anyway, so whatever. your team stinks anyway, so of all years, if you try to win and move up four spots in the standings, what have you done besides given an old man 3 more wins a month than he would otherwise be seeing. all at the expense of drafting chipper jones.

trying to "go for it" now would be the dumbest possible thing they could possibly do.

GovClintonTyree
05-27-2016, 03:08 PM

That's right. Or, 75 and, I don't know, 40? Honestly, I was bearish on the team and the roster and projected 100 losses, but this ninth-circle-of-hell ineptitude is beyond my wildest dreams.

What I find utterly mystifying is that the Twins can hang. I mean, we're 1899 Cleveland Spiders bad. Heretofore rational individuals are recommending we play Chase d'Arnaud at short to free us up to release Aybar. We broke camp with Jeff Francoeur and Drew Stubbs in our outfield. Many of our fans, searching in vain to feel better about this group that wouldn't compete in the Eastern League, started discussing the obvious wisdom of having Jhoulys Chacin and Bud Norris both in our rotation (you know who you are). We sounded like those three Wahoos in the right field bleachers in Major League, debating whether the Yanks home run was hit too high.

Jesus Christ! How can those ****ers be right with us? Can't we just have the first pick, just this once?

bravesfanMatt
05-27-2016, 03:32 PM
That's right. Or, 75 and, I don't know, 40? Honestly, I was bearish on the team and the roster and projected 100 losses, but this ninth-circle-of-hell ineptitude is beyond my wildest dreams.

What I find utterly mystifying is that the Twins can hang. I mean, we're 1899 Cleveland Spiders bad. Heretofore rational individuals are recommending we play Chase d'Arnaud at short to free us up to release Aybar. We broke camp with Jeff Francoeur and Drew Stubbs in our outfield. Many of our fans, searching in vain to feel better about this group that wouldn't compete in the Eastern League, started discussing the obvious wisdom of having Jhoulys Chacin and Bud Norris both in our rotation (you know who you are). We sounded like those three Wahoos in the right field bleachers in Major League, debating whether the Yanks home run was hit too high.

Jesus Christ! How can those ****ers be right with us? Can't we just have the first pick, just this once?

don't forget about the Reds.. they are starting a bit earlier than last year.. they have lost 10 in a row.

rico43
05-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Let's just hope the FO isn't as emotionally irrational as the OP.

I am also a moderator on this board, and I was tired of reading only negative comments in the daily posts. I bet myself I could shake up this board and, by golly, I think I can check that box.

It's true about my dad, but I agree it has nothing to do with the process other than some folks see it a different way. I thanked a couple of folks who generated strong, detailed posts without calling names or questioning sanity.
If I weren't being so sneaky, I'd take offense at being called irrational.

I do think Swanson is ready. But I see the point in those of you who say that it doesn't matter.

bravos4evr
05-27-2016, 04:01 PM

do you have the powerball numbers too almighty Kreskin?

GovClintonTyree
05-27-2016, 04:13 PM
I am also a moderator on this board, and I was tired of reading only negative comments in the daily posts. I bet myself I could shake up this board and, by golly, I think I can check that box.

It's true about my dad, but I agree it has nothing to do with the process other than some folks see it a different way. I thanked a couple of folks who generated strong, detailed posts without calling names or questioning sanity.

I do think Swanson is ready. But I see the point in those of you who say that it doesn't matter.

I knew you were jacking us around. It was too far out of character. Very amusing; fun thread.

GovClintonTyree
05-27-2016, 04:15 PM
don't forget about the Reds.. they are starting a bit earlier than last year.. they have lost 10 in a row.

I know, right? We suck more! It's OUR turn!!!

Heyward
05-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Julio's a guy you build around, not trade.

And i'd prefer not to waste Swanson's clock just yet, maybe in September.

And count me in as one wanting the #1 pick.

bravos4evr
05-27-2016, 04:32 PM
"Dave Winfield=Jason Heyward- BRule."

you are right Heyward has been worth nearly half of Winfield's long career in only 6 1/4 seasons! he's tracking to be better than Winfield!

clvclv
05-27-2016, 04:44 PM

Right with ya - except for the obvious one.

FWIW, I'm only in favor of Chase at SS for a couple weeks to get Aybar and his *itty attitude away from the clubhouse until it's prudent to start Swanson's clock!!! LOL

Braves1976
05-27-2016, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah, I absolutely agree that the team probably won't be awful next year and that we should start looking to build on it. I'm even in favor of trading Teheran if it brings us back a Benintendi or Bregman. I'm just not in favor of spending prospects to get Jay "-1.2 WAR since 2013" Bruce or starting Swanson's service clock early in the name of sucking a little less this season. When your reasoning includes propositions like "Casey Kelly is ready for prime time" and "Chase D'arnaud is our 3B of the future," you're probably not making decisions from a rational place.

It has to be a knee-jerk type reaction, Rico has seemed quick to turn for or against certain players at times lately (maybe just due to frustration, if so that is understandable). His statement about Blair for example seems to imply that we know what we have there. With all due respect to Rico we don't know what we have there yet, not even close, nor with anyone else in the rotation outside of Teheran. However, Wisler has been consistent enough to make an argument for this year, but even that is still a SSS and isn't telling enough in terms of long term. He could still end up better or even quite worse than he's doing now.

Braves1976
05-27-2016, 06:14 PM

So outside of the Swanson bit you were "being so sneaky" and not sharing your own view and just seeing if you could "shake up this board"?

FWIW, I do understand your reasoning as far as hoping your Dad gets to see a winner again. Hopefully that will happen. I am not ready to give up on 2017 like some others, though some moves by the FO have hurt our chances in 2017 IMO. And it concerns me that more moves are coming that may or may not help in 2018-20 but will hurt our chances further next year.

Braves1976
05-27-2016, 06:33 PM
BTW, I am fine with giving Chase d'Arnaud a shot at short at some point if he keeps hitting enough. He has been good defensively at multiple positions (second, third and RF) so if he can be serviceable at short and continue to hit well off the bench we should consider him as back-up shortstop bench piece for next year who can also fill in at second, third and OF corners. It all depends on his bat, obviously he's not this good but he also may be better than his past years which were also SSS in the Majors. The question for me comes down to can he play at least average at short and maintain enough with the bat to be useful. I like his speed for pinch running and he has did well pinch hitting too, so all this considered he may have value off the bench if nothing else.

zbhargrove
05-27-2016, 06:43 PM
No one, not even the biggest cynics on this board, thought the Braves would SUCK as badly as they have in the first two months of the season. Fredi is gone; that is one part of the master plan that has fallen into place so far.

But with mind-numbing events like Garcia's defense, Olivera's entire year, Aybar's defense and dining mishaps, Winkler's elbow (still makes me cringe), Inciarte's game two injury, this team is spiraling downward into what might be a 100-loss season or worse.

Enough. Is. Enough. I have an 86-year-old father who watches the Braves every night, and he doesn't want to hear about 2-3 years down the road. There is rebuilding, and there is mutally assured destruction. Every time the Marlins tore down their team, they loaded their system with good young players and PLAYED THEM. We seem to want to acquire as many prospects as we can and no one wants to start the "clock ticking."

We need to start sorthing things about. Granted, we've already found Blair wanting, Gant rushed, but Perez, Kelly, Folty ready for prime time. We've found a third baseman, but reasons beyond my understanding have led to them playing d'Arnaud only occasionally. Frenchy's comeback has been all we hoped.

I want these things, and soon: Trade Teheran for the best hitter available; no more prospects, unless it's Andrew Benintendi. Trade Viz if and only if the return is there.

Bring up Swanson. Put him at shortstop. Leave him there. He's old enough and a savvy enough to deal with the ups and downs. Whatever needs to be done with Aybar, do it.

The player I wanted to target is Puig, but I will be honest if not politically correct: I have major reservations after Olivera and Garcia. Now, the person I want to target is Jay Bruce.

First of all, there is no guarantee Swanson will be the next franchise player... or even a good MLB player... prospects that have looked thousands of times better than him have failed miserably at the MLB level. If he came up right now, you'd be rushing him and it may hurt his development... sorry. We've found a 3rd baseman in d'Arnaud? Really? Dude is 29 years old, has no power, and you're saying "we've found a third baseman" based on ~45 at bats at the MLB level. Let's just ignore that he's never been considered much of a prospect or that he has 3000 minor league at-bats with around a .700 OPS. Come on, you are wiser than that. Kelly and Folty are ready for prime time? We haven't even seen what Kelly can do at the MLB level beyond a 3-5 inning stretch here or there. He's been decent but far from prime time. Folty has looked much better but let's see him sustain the success before crowning him the next big thing... he still walks way too many and still gives up too many homeruns. You really want to trade our best starter who's under control on a cheap deal for a while still? Frenchy's performance has only been okay... he's only a platoon player and doesn't have any power... a decent bench piece but you're really giving some of these players way too much credit. Jay Bruce is mediocre... he's having a good year, but it doesn't match up with the last few.

Sorry... I like your posts, but no...

zbhargrove
05-27-2016, 06:46 PM

Heyward
Upton
Kimbrel
Wood
Simmons
Gattis
Peraza

And Kimbrel is really the only one playing worth anything.

zbhargrove
05-27-2016, 06:54 PM

okay okay... well played... pot stirred

rico43
05-27-2016, 11:01 PM
It has to be a knee-jerk type reaction, Rico has seemed quick to turn for or against certain players at times lately (maybe just due to frustration, if so that is understandable). His statement about Blair for example seems to imply that we know what we have there. With all due respect to Rico we don't know what we have there yet, not even close, nor with anyone else in the rotation outside of Teheran. However, Wisler has been consistent enough to make an argument for this year, but even that is still a SSS and isn't telling enough in terms of long term. He could still end up better or even quite worse than he's doing now.

I was just paraphrasing what the FO said when he was sent back down. Of course, I hear he's back for Saturday, sop we'll see!

rico43
05-27-2016, 11:04 PM
First of all, there is no guarantee Swanson will be the next franchise player... or even a good MLB player... prospects that have looked thousands of times better than him have failed miserably at the MLB level. If he came up right now, you'd be rushing him and it may hurt his development... sorry. We've found a 3rd baseman in d'Arnaud? Really? Dude is 29 years old, has no power, and you're saying "we've found a third baseman" based on ~45 at bats at the MLB level. Let's just ignore that he's never been considered much of a prospect or that he has 3000 minor league at-bats with around a .700 OPS. Come on, you are wiser than that. Kelly and Folty are ready for prime time? We haven't even seen what Kelly can do at the MLB level beyond a 3-5 inning stretch here or there. He's been decent but far from prime time. Folty has looked much better but let's see him sustain the success before crowning him the next big thing... he still walks way too many and still gives up too many homeruns. You really want to trade our best starter who's under control on a cheap deal for a while still? Frenchy's performance has only been okay... he's only a platoon player and doesn't have any power... a decent bench piece but you're really giving some of these players way too much credit. Jay Bruce is mediocre... he's having a good year, but it doesn't match up with the last few.

Sorry... I like your posts, but no...

When I said "found" a third baseman, I was merely pointing out we finally had someone there who could play DEFENSE at the position, instead of the train wreck that was Adonis. No one else had show much aplomb there, either. Your definition of "found" is clearly much larger than mine. To paraphrase William Hurt in Body Heat, I'm just trying to make it through tonight.

rico43
05-27-2016, 11:06 PM
So outside of the Swanson bit you were "being so sneaky" and not sharing your own view and just seeing if you could "shake up this board"?

FWIW, I do understand your reasoning as far as hoping your Dad gets to see a winner again. Hopefully that will happen. I am not ready to give up on 2017 like some others, though some moves by the FO have hurt our chances in 2017 IMO. And it concerns me that more moves are coming that may or may not help in 2018-20 but will hurt our chances further next year.

Sometimes you just need a broad brush to make a fine point.

rico43
05-27-2016, 11:09 PM
do you have the powerball numbers too almighty Kreskin?

11-24-41-59-64-15*

bravesnumberone
05-28-2016, 08:26 AM
I think you guys are all missing the greater plan. They need more time to work with Swanson at catcher. :Bowman:

bravescountry
05-28-2016, 02:15 PM
How about this..
Trade Teheran for an elite OF and lower prospect
Trade Vizcaino for a good package of prospects
Trade Freeman for a 1B prospect, an elite OF prospect, and another solid bat

Don't bring up Swanson or Albies till September..
We will suck ass for 2016, but you can tell your father we will be better (hopefully unless growing pains of all rookies) and we can be a dominant force comes 2018- just wait, patience is virtue.

nsacpi
05-28-2016, 02:46 PM
we can be a dominant force comes 2018

I know its fun to talk in certainties. But what are the odds of this if everything you suggest is done. And what is your definition of dominant force.

depley
05-28-2016, 07:45 PM
the quote of the day.

“The days of us trading players like Teheran for prospects are over. We need to get better at the major league level. We would have to be overwhelmed to move Teheran,” Coppolella said.

bravescountry
05-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I know its fun to talk in certainties. But what are the odds of this if everything you suggest is done. And what is your definition of dominant force.

TBH, I'm not sure about 2018.. but definitely 2019 and dominant force as in like Cubs, cheap young players in all positions with veterans we can get (from big 2018 FA class).
In a situation we trade all three, we would get a massive return back for the three players. I'm just going to make a mock trade to the RS in which they would be receive all three prospects bc they can use some pitching help, 1B help, and bullpen help (always)...
We would in return receive a package in value to: Moncada(Freeman gets), Devers (Freeman gets), Benintendi(Teheran gets), Swihart(Teheran/Vizcaino gets) and Kopech (Freeman/Vizcaino gets)
...That trade won't happen but we could get that type of a haul (obviously in separate trade though bc nobody would trade that much talent) for the three players...and we draft an elite bat in the 2016 draft, the 2018/2019 roster could look like (with just the RS trade as a base):

1B Devers
2B Albies
3B Moncada
SS Swanson
C Swihart/Herbert/Morales
OF Benintendi, Lewis, Smith/Davidson/Acuna(?)/other
SP Newcomb/Sims/Wisler/Touki/Soroka/Fried/Sims/Ellis/Blair/others whoever doesn't bust...
That's a pretty explosive roster top to bottom and I would expect it to be a championship caliber team..
Like I said, if we do trade with the RS, we won't be getting their top 3 prospects and Swihart, but in terms of value, we could get that much back for Tehran, Vizcaino, and Freeman IMO and that would again IMO help us be contenders by 2018/2019.... I'm not the GM though, and alot can change and we can just see how the trade deadline plays out...

bravesnumberone
05-29-2016, 08:34 AM

Idk his, but my definition is winning the division and losing game 5 of the NLDS at home. The Braves Way.

nsacpi
05-29-2016, 09:00 AM
I think the range of possible outcomes is pretty wide for 2018 and beyond. Most likely we will be a team that wins 85-90 games per year over the 2018-2025 seasons. Some years will be on the low side and there might be one or two years we win over 90. We are not likely to be Cubs like over this period. But then the Cubs themselves are not going to sustain the pace we've seen so far this year.

clvclv
05-29-2016, 09:34 AM
the quote of the day.

“The days of us trading players like Teheran for prospects are over. We need to get better at the major league level. We would have to be overwhelmed to move Teheran,” Coppolella said.

And rightfully so. Thing is, I'm not sure who that could possibly be. Boston's not going to trade Betts or Bogaerts. The Dodgers aren't going to trade Seager, Houston's not going to trade Springer. Trevor Story might look pretty good at 3B, but I'm a little worried that his power won't translate away from Coors and I HATE the K rate. Still not interested in Soler or Baez personally. Would love to have either of Piscotty or Grichuk but can't see the Cards parting with either.

Really tough to see any match anywhere unless they're willing to take prospects, which is fine with me - I agree that the return needs to be HUGE if you're going to move him. Will say I think it's a bad idea to draw a line in the sand like that though. If you could get Bregman plus, Dahl plus, or Benintendi plus - guys that are really close to being ready - I think it's pretty shortsighted to eliminate that option.

mqt
05-29-2016, 09:56 AM
And rightfully so. Thing is, I'm not sure who that could possibly be. Boston's not going to trade Betts or Bogaerts. The Dodgers aren't going to trade Seager, Houston's not going to trade Springer. Trevor Story might look pretty good at 3B, but I'm a little worried that his power won't translate away from Coors and I HATE the K rate. Still not interested in Soler or Baez personally. Would love to have either of Piscotty or Grichuk but can't see the Cards parting with either.

Really tough to see any match anywhere unless they're willing to take prospects, which is fine with me - I agree that the return needs to be HUGE if you're going to move him. Will say I think it's a bad idea to draw a line in the sand like that though. If you could get Bregman plus, Dahl plus, or Benintendi plus - guys that are really close to being ready - I think it's pretty shortsighted to eliminate that option.

I would assume that Coppy isn't actually going to ignore high level prospects if they were available. I feel like we've heard this from the FO (much like every other FO in sports) before where they say something along the lines of "we have no interest in trading Shelby" or "we think of Simmons as a vital part of our future" before dealing them. I'm sure we're obviously looking for an established ML hitter, but that's a non-starter because of course we are. The problem is that teams with those hitters aren't usually looking to part with them, as trading for Julio would open up a hole in their lineup.

The most likely scenario in my opinion is a trade where we get a lesser talent than Julio that is in the bigs, and a prospect that is the actual crown jewel of the deal.

Horsehide Harry
05-29-2016, 11:23 AM
I would hope that this is just GM speak. Prospects ARE just prospects and are full of uncertainty and risk. However, even guys who are ML stars are full of uncertainty and risk in the form of complacency, injury, devolution of skills, the drug policy, the domestic abuse policy, and on and on. When it comes to acquiring prospects you either trust your scouts or you don't and if you don't you should boot them and get some you can trust.

The thing is that this team isn't one bat away. It isn't three bats away. And it isn't a 2016 or 2017 competitive team no matter how much the Johns say that it is (they know it isn't). So, if you look at the veterans that you have in terms of current skill set, extrapolated future skill set, current cost, future cost, current value vs future value, etc., if a move presents itself that can make you a much better team in 2018 and beyond, then you have to do it.

Teheran - not a true ace but can be a very good pitcher; probably a solid long term number two; signed to a very good contract; no significant injury history; currently sits at the top of the pitching pyramid for the Braves, heading a big number of drafted, signed and acquired pitching; reasonable likelihood that he will remain as good, or nearly so, for the rest of his current contract unless injured; likely the BEST arm available under any circumstances over the next calendar year now that Stras is off the board. He should bring 2 maybe 3 young long term pieces that have a chance to be as good or better long term in terms of trade. He's the perfect win now/win later acquisition for a close contender.

Freeman - probably in the 8-10 range of 1B in baseball; not a franchise guy but a strong core piece; has some power and LH and plays a good, not great, defensive 1B; signed long term and in the middle currently of peak baseball age; reasonable contract that increases in expense but still a very good number for his production; probably the BEST bat available over the next calendar year and should bring 2-3 long term pieces in terms of trade. By the time the Braves have a realistic shot at competing again he will be in physical decline but he's the ideal guy for a team who is short a power, LH bat for the next 2-3 years.

Inciarte - excellent defensive outfielder who has positional flexibility; hits as a top of the order guy with a little power who will steal a few bases.

Viz - closer who's value is probably at a high point right now; will be expensive and older with less control when the Braves are good again, assuming he keeps up at current pace; unlikely to get huge save opportunities as a Braves because the team won't have many wins to save; some injury history and PED history.

IF you want to return to almost certain mediocrity, then you keep those guys and chicken scratch around each offseason for the Francouer's and the Johnson's to fill everyday spots. Mediocrity has less chance of failure than shooting for greatness.

IF you want a shot at greatness, then you try to add as many potentially great, young controllable pieces that you can and use the money you save by making a Freeman, Teheran, Viz or Inciarte trade to go FA shop to fill holes. It's not like any of those guys are generational talents. They're good players with good value that should be put to best use.

jpx7
05-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Idk his, but my definition is winning the division and losing game 5 of the NLDS at home. The Braves Way.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/9/11/2/anigif_enhanced-buzz-7993-1378881510-5.gif

bravos4evr
05-29-2016, 03:08 PM
The thing is that this team isn't one bat away. It isn't three bats away.

I reckon we are 3 bats away, solid power bats at one corner OF spot, 3b and C would help this team's future fortunes a lot. Hell, I woul take a run at cespedes next year if they move Markakis this summer. We have plenty of $$$ to pay him and he would fill a major need at RF.

rico43
05-29-2016, 04:08 PM
I reckon we are 3 bats away, solid power bats at one corner OF spot, 3b and C would help this team's future fortunes a lot. Hell, I woul take a run at cespedes next year if they move Markakis this summer. We have plenty of $$$ to pay him and he would fill a major need at RF.

Eureka! An ephiany! Acquire Cespedes and Puig, bring Garcia and Olivera back and have Fredi throw out the 2017 first pitch at the newly renamed Fidel Field. But then again, maybe I should stay off the good stuff on slow days.

bravos4evr
05-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Eureka! An ephiany! Acquire Cespedes and Puig, bring Garcia and Olivera back and have Fredi throw out the 2017 first pitch at the newly renamed Fidel Field. But then again, maybe I should stay off the good stuff on slow days.

what's wrong with Cespedes? Puig, I get, he's had attitude issues (tho I would still take him) Cespedes has been both lights out and off the field issue free as far as I can remember,

goldfly
05-29-2016, 06:46 PM
the quote of the day.

hope this is true and is what i have been saying