PDA

View Full Version : 6/5 SUNDAY MINOR LEAGUE FINALS (Sims rocked)

rico43
06-05-2016, 09:35 AM
SUNDAY'S MINOR LEAGUE RESULTS

CLASS AAA

Durham 9, Gwinnett 0

SP: S. Simmons 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
LP: Sims (1-5) 2.2 IP, 4 IP, 8 ER, 6 BB, 3 K
Weber 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Janas 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Albies 2-5, SB (.230)
Landoni 2-4
Ruiz 0-3, BB (.250)

CLASS AA

Tennessee 11, Mississippi 6

SP: Thurman 5.1 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 2 HR, HBP
LP: Jed Bradley (3-3) 0 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
Hursh 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, HBP
Kent 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Younginer 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Lipka 3-5, 2 R
Toscano 3-5, 2 R
Swanson 2-5, 2 R, RBI (.277)
Peterson 2-5, 2 RBI

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 6, Frederick 4 (5)

SP: Navarro 4 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
WP: O'Neal (1-0) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Odom 1-3, HR (4th), RBI
Meneses 2-2, 2B, R, BB
Gebhardt 1-3, R, RBI
Edgerton 1-3 2B, R
Davidson 0-0, R, 2 BB

CLASS A

Rome, idle

SHORT SEASON

DSL Braves, idle

KB21
06-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Good write up on Leudys Baez by John Calvagno.

http://notesfromthesally.com/2016/06/05/1st-look-leudys-baez-rome/

Tapate50
06-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Good write up on Leudys Baez by John Calvagno.

http://notesfromthesally.com/2016/06/05/1st-look-leudys-baez-rome/

Sounds like he is a guy to monitor. Good deal

KB21
06-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Sounds like he is a guy to monitor. Good deal

We have some toolsy bats in the lower minors, and that is why I wouldn't be pressed into selecting a bat if I felt I could get a stud pitcher in the draft.

Everything I have read about Ronald Acuna suggests that he could move as fast as Ozzie Albies has. David Lee from the Augusta Chronicle believes that Acuna may be the best bat prospect in the system after Swanson and Albies and will be in our top 10 lists by mid season. Of course, he is out with a thumb injury right now, but he is a young guy that has a quick bat, shows raw power, and has the ability to stick in center field.

Now we are reading that Leudys Baez has loud tools as well, with raw power to all fields and a very strong throwing arm in right field.

Isranel Wilson is a toolsy guy that will start short season ball soon, but he was a 17 year old that showed tremendous raw power in the GCL last year. If they can iron out his pitch recognition issues as he progresses, cut down on the strikes outs, and maintain the power (.270 ISO), he is a guy to watch.

KB21
06-05-2016, 01:52 PM
For what it is worth, John, Braves Redditt, and I have been tweeting back and forth on Baez. John says he thinks Baez looks like a rawer version of Yoan Moncada, who probably will not put everything together. Even with that, to have him being compared from a raw tools perspective to Yoan Moncada is pretty good for a little known prospect at this point.

atl717
06-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Not real happy with our young pitching at the moment.

bravesfanMatt
06-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Not real happy with our young pitching at the moment.

what has been going on with Simms.. he has been so wild and horrible of late... hope nothing is bothering his arm... usually when a pitcher just loses it like this, you here about an elbow bother him.

mqt
06-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Not Braves related, but Austin Meadows is pretty good. At the Altoona Curve game and he had a great play in CF and a HR in the 9th.

cajunrevenge
06-05-2016, 09:30 PM
And I got **** for saying Sims was still a long ways away. I think he stays in AAA all year then probably starts 2017 at AAA as well. I think he would be a good candidate to break into the majors as a reliever like Wainwright.

Deester11
06-05-2016, 09:44 PM
And I got **** for saying Sims was still a long ways away. I think he stays in AAA all year then probably starts 2017 at AAA as well. I think he would be a good candidate to break into the majors as a reliever like Wainwright.
Not from me Cajun! I've said it (NOT KNOCKING HIM), but I got to see him every year from Rookie to High-A. His stuff is electric. We all know that. But when you talk about coming unraveled....he's the epitome. Or was before some improvement last year. Confidence has always been his thing. He gets down on himself and it typically goes....Walk, bloop, hit, walk...

He's got the stuff. But me thinks he could use a Dr. Jack Lewellyn in his life.

cajunrevenge
06-05-2016, 11:13 PM
That sounds like something that might get fixed in the majors because from what I have seen defenses in the minors are ****. Also another reason to bring him in first in the pen. Let him figure out how to get ML hitters out with his 2 plus pitches then worry about converting him back to a starter. Wainwright didnt set the high minors on fire either.

Deester11
06-06-2016, 09:01 AM
That sounds like something that might get fixed in the majors because from what I have seen defenses in the minors are ****. Also another reason to bring him in first in the pen. Let him figure out how to get ML hitters out with his 2 plus pitches then worry about converting him back to a starter. Wainwright didnt set the high minors on fire either.
Agree for the most part. But as has happened with our high end lottery tickets, getting them to throw strikes is brutal. Take a close look at all of them and they all have this in common.

Walk. Because command is lacking, I have to get a pitch across. Let's throw a fastball to "get it over." Next thing you know, HR, or another hit and you've now given up 3-4 runs on 2 hits. Look at Touki...He allowed two hits his last outing. Unfortunately he walked 4....Just a common theme although I love our arms, they can't hit the broad side of a barn.

bravesfanMatt
06-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Agree for the most part. But as has happened with our high end lottery tickets, getting them to throw strikes is brutal. Take a close look at all of them and they all have this in common.

Walk. Because command is lacking, I have to get a pitch across. Let's throw a fastball to "get it over." Next thing you know, HR, or another hit and you've now given up 3-4 runs on 2 hits. Look at Touki...He allowed two hits his last outing. Unfortunately he walked 4....Just a common theme although I love our arms, they can't hit the broad side of a barn.

This scares me with our pitching development. Smoltz said in Detroit, that the pitching coaches would tell him to change this and change that... then he went to Atlanta and Leo said, just throw the ball and let me look.. He told Smoltz, that looked good.. stop trying so hard.

I just hate when coaches 'tinker' with players who played a certain way all their lives. very similar to my golf swing. I learned golf on my own.. I developed my own swing. I got down to a 2 handicap in my younger years.. I took lessons around 20 when I was about an 8 handicap and they tried to change my swing.. it didn't work and I went back to what I knew and my body knew and I got better. Maybe if I tried and stuck with the new swing, I could have gotten to a scratch.. but I never felt comfortable and I really think I would have never felt comfortable. I had been playing since 14 with that swing..

UNCBlue012
06-06-2016, 05:09 PM

Yeah, that's part of it. He just gets destroyed the second that an issue arises. Much like the majority of our guys, he gets inside his own head.

KB21
06-06-2016, 08:44 PM
This scares me with our pitching development. Smoltz said in Detroit, that the pitching coaches would tell him to change this and change that... then he went to Atlanta and Leo said, just throw the ball and let me look.. He told Smoltz, that looked good.. stop trying so hard.

I just hate when coaches 'tinker' with players who played a certain way all their lives. very similar to my golf swing. I learned golf on my own.. I developed my own swing. I got down to a 2 handicap in my younger years.. I took lessons around 20 when I was about an 8 handicap and they tried to change my swing.. it didn't work and I went back to what I knew and my body knew and I got better. Maybe if I tried and stuck with the new swing, I could have gotten to a scratch.. but I never felt comfortable and I really think I would have never felt comfortable. I had been playing since 14 with that swing..

Been saying for a while that the Braves need to get Leo back in the organization, whether he replaces Roger McDowell in Atlanta or becomes the minor league pitching coordinator.