PDA

View Full Version : 6/13 MONDAH'S MINOR LEAGUE THREAD ... All-stars announced

rico43
06-12-2016, 10:07 PM
MID-SEASON ALL-STARS

MISSISSIPPI: Willians Astudillo, Chris Ellis, Dansby Swanson, Dustin Peterson

CAROLINA: Max Povse, Evan Phillips

ROME: Mike Soroka, Patrick Weigel, Jonathan Morales, Ray-Patrick Didder, Luke Dykstra

-----------------

MONDAY'S MINOR LEAGUE RESULTS

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett, idle

CLASS AA

Game One
Mississippi 4, Jackson 1 (7)

WP: Ellis (8-2) 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
Younginer (Save, 4) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

D.Peterson 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI
Swanson 1-2, R
Camargo 1-2, HR (4th), RBI
Toscano 1-3, 2B, RBI

Game Two
Jackson 6, Mississippi 1 (7th)

SP: Newcomb 3.2 IP, 4 H, 5 Er, 4 BB, 6 K, HR
Hursh 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K
O'Neal 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, wP, HBP
Morris 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R 1 BB, 2 K

Franco 2-3, 2B
Peterson 2-3, HR (7th), RBI
Schrader 2-3

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 14, Lynchburg 6

WP: Povse (4-4) 5 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
Quintana 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, HR
Johnson-Mullins 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
Phillips 1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

Meneses 4-5, 2 2B, HR (5th), 3 R, 5 RBI (.341)
Odom 2-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI
Davidson 3-4, 2B, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI, BB
Gaylor 2-5, 2 R, BB, SB

CLASS A

Rome 4, Columbia 1

WP: Toussaint (2-5) 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, HR
Custred (Save, 1) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1B, 1 K

Didder 2-4, R, RBI, HBP
Nevarez 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
Riley 2-4, 2 K
Dykstra 2-4 (.323)
Keller 1-4, 2B, R, RBI

SHORT-SEASON DSL

DSL Angels 3, DSL Braves 2

LP: Lopez (0-1) 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB,3 K
De La Cruz 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K
Volquez 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
Abreu 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1, BB, 1 K
Rodriguez 2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
0 earned runs allowed; 4 errors

Michel 1-3, R, BB
Centeno 1-2, 2 BB
Juan Morales 0-2, BB

striker42
06-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Ellis and Newcomb both in Mississippi. Should be interesting. I wonder when we'll get to see both of those in AAA. Newcomb's good work gets overlooked a little with all the focus on his command. In spite of walking 4.79 per 9, Newcomb still boasts a FIP of 3.11. He's striking out over a batter an inning and has given up just 1 HR in 62 IP. If he can keep the ball in the park and keep striking guys out at a high rate, he'll be a very good pitcher in the majors. If his command improves there's no limit to what this kid could do.

I'm trying to be patient with Touki but it is hard. I keep reminding myself he was a late arrival to pitching and is still rawer than some high schoolers picked this year. I just want to see some improvement. See some stuff start to click.

mqt
06-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Ellis and Newcomb both in Mississippi. Should be interesting. I wonder when we'll get to see both of those in AAA. Newcomb's good work gets overlooked a little with all the focus on his command. In spite of walking 4.79 per 9, Newcomb still boasts a FIP of 3.11. He's striking out over a batter an inning and has given up just 1 HR in 62 IP. If he can keep the ball in the park and keep striking guys out at a high rate, he'll be a very good pitcher in the majors. If his command improves there's no limit to what this kid could do.

I'm trying to be patient with Touki but it is hard. I keep reminding myself he was a late arrival to pitching and is still rawer than some high schoolers picked this year. I just want to see some improvement. See some stuff start to click.

Yeah, in addition to that, he's also still 2 years younger than AJ Puk. He definitely has the stuff to miss bats, so there's still plenty of time for things to click for him.

bravesfanMatt
06-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Yeah, in addition to that, he's also still 2 years younger than AJ Puk. He definitely has the stuff to miss bats, so there's still plenty of time for things to click for him.

Touki is only 19.. just came off a dominant start and has really been improving all spring. his May Whip was a little under 1.3 and that was with 18 BB in 27 IP... his ability to miss bats is incredible. He can season in the minors for another 3 years for all I care... He can be special!! I also agree on Newcomb..I think his last few starts he has been tinkering with things as his hits have gone up, but his command has gotten a bit better. I would not be surprised at all to see a truly dominate start from him within the next few starts. and once that happens, I expect him to dominate AA until he is promoted..

bravos4evr
06-13-2016, 03:37 PM
I try not to worry about pitchers too much, they are so volatile from year to year in the minors that it seems that the only way to find out their true potential is trial by fire in MLB (see teheran, remember that awful AAA year he had?)

UNCBlue012
06-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Touki is through five innings with no hits

bravesfanMatt
06-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Touki is through five innings with no hits

solo shot in 6th.. only 2 hits given up.. only 1 k for him but ZERO BB through 6 ip... this is back to back GREAT starts for him...

UNCBlue012
06-13-2016, 07:42 PM
solo shot in 6th.. only 2 hits given up.. only 1 k for him but ZERO BB through 6 ip... this is back to back GREAT starts for him... he's the key. If he's bad, he's bad. But if he's good...

UNCBlue012
06-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Ellis is now 8-2 with a 2.75 ERA.

bravesfanMatt
06-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Ellis is now 8-2 with a 2.75 ERA.

still walking a few too many hitters... but can't argue with the results.

jpack1
06-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Touki with probably his best pro outing.

mqt
06-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Touki goes 8 with 3 H and 0 BB, and Riley goes 2-4 with a 2B. That'll do, Rome.

bravesfanMatt
06-13-2016, 08:26 PM
If Newcomb has a good start, you have to go to bed a happy Braves fan with the minor league performances...

Touki stats were impressive..
Ellis just keeps getting it done..
Swanson with a good first game
Riley 2 more hits..
Povse struggled but still very effective..

and Newcomb just K'd the 1st... good start..

zbhargrove
06-13-2016, 08:41 PM
If Newcomb has a good start, you have to go to bed a happy Braves fan with the minor league performances...

Riley 2 more hits..

Not to mention the two fantastic starts in a row by Fried

bravos4evr
06-13-2016, 08:42 PM

Riley 2 more hits..

When I saw Ellis live a few weeks ago, he was nailing his spots and working efficiently. The home plate ump was pretty lousy on some high calls and ,IMO, probably cost Ellis 2 walks that game.

which brings me to this; I wonder how much the lower umpire quality in the minor leagues can give a false image of a pitcher's command and control ability? You would think the guys who work the corners the best would be hurt the most

bravesfanMatt
06-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Not to mention the two fantastic starts in a row by Fried

I didn't forget...

hopefully some of those guys will turn the corner and start to show ACE level stuff.. Fried/Touki/Newcomb could be a devastating 1-2-3 in about 3 years..

50PoundHead
06-13-2016, 08:49 PM
Meneses leading the CL in batting and having a monster night tonight. Old for High A, but has had a couple of setbacks and got started a year later than most Latin prospects. Repeating High A, so I don't know what else he has to prove at that level. I'm wondering if he ends up in Mississippi for the second half.

jpack1
06-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Newcomb dealing thru 3

striker42
06-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Typical Newcomb start so far. Lots of Ks, not much contact, but too many BBs. If they can ever get this kids motion and release point consistent, lookout.

striker42
06-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Right after I say that he does a very un-Newcomb thing and gives up a homer.

jpack1
06-13-2016, 09:31 PM
He was dominant and just like that it was over

sturg33
06-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Not sold on Newcomb..

msstate7
06-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Peterson hit his 7th hr tonight. 4-6 (double header) 2b, hr, 5 rbi

bravos4evr
06-14-2016, 12:40 AM
Peterson hit his 7th hr tonight. 4-6 (double header) 2b, hr, 5 rbi

he is sneakily creeping into legit prospect territory after many dismissed him as a "throw in"

UNCBlue012
06-14-2016, 04:34 AM
Good stuff Peterson! I hope he continues to develop, he would be a really solid LFer.

Russ2dollas
06-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Good stuff Peterson! I hope he continues to develop, he would be a really solid LFer.

I am not a fan of mallex and inciarte in the same of. But if mallex is our lf I wonder if Peterson could be a good platoon partner. Obviously I hope for more from both players...but it could be a good and cheap platoon

50PoundHead
06-14-2016, 06:55 AM
he is sneakily creeping into legit prospect territory after many dismissed him as a "throw in"

He was drafted in the 2nd round (50th overall) in 2013 and he's in AA at age 21. I was a little surprised the Braves pushed him up to Mississippi after his fall-off in the 2nd half last season, but we all have to remember he missed a ton of time after the bus crash. He is crushing LHP this season.

I guess I'm one of the few who never saw him as a throw-in. His numbers have improved as he has moved up, so unless he plateaus short of the majors, I think he'll contribute in Atlanta at some point.

bravesfanMatt
06-14-2016, 08:24 AM
He was drafted in the 2nd round (50th overall) in 2013 and he's in AA at age 21. I was a little surprised the Braves pushed him up to Mississippi after his fall-off in the 2nd half last season, but we all have to remember he missed a ton of time after the bus crash. He is crushing LHP this season.

I guess I'm one of the few who never saw him as a throw-in. His numbers have improved as he has moved up, so unless he plateaus short of the majors, I think he'll contribute in Atlanta at some point.

I am with you. I have always thought more highly of Dustin than Braxton. Right now Dustin is streaking in a good way. Last 7 days he has been OPSing over 1.1... and the last Month he is hitting over .300 with an OPS right at .800... like you said he just seems to get better. His K rate is pretty good for the year too at 19% with about a 10% BB rate... Just some solid numbers for someone who has faced younger pitching only twice (2 ABs) all year..

KB21
06-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Meneses and Odom need to be moved up to Mississippi. Meneses is tearing it up this year with the bat, and Odom is having his best offensive season after laying a turd in the AFL. Both are 24 and old for the Carolina League. It is time to push them to see what we may have.

smootness
06-14-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure how many viewed Peterson as just a throw-in at the time of the trade. I think Jace was the guy most considered to be mostly a throw-in, even though he had value as a potential utility guy as well.

Dustin Peterson was thought to have a pretty high ceiling at the time of the deal, there were just doubts about him due to his risk of not hitting it. He hit well to begin last year, people got excited, then he fell off and people kind of forgot about him. This year has been great for his prospect status, for sure.

bravos4evr
06-14-2016, 11:17 AM

I'm with you, I thought he had a lot of potential and loved his addition to the trade. But, at another forum I used to frequent, there was a lot of grousing that he was just another Cody Johnson type who was gonna bust.... blahblahblah

bravesfanMatt
06-14-2016, 03:37 PM
This is from the comments section in Talking Chop, somebody who as at Touki's game last night. I didn't know he had such a BIG FB?!?

I posted this in another thread but had the opportunity to sit directly behind home plate at the Rome game here in Columbia last night. Saw Touki pitch here a month or so ago and the difference was night and day. He looked much more comfortable and in control of his pitches yesterday. While he consistently threw in the mid 90’s, he hit (according the scoreboard) 101 once and 100 multiple times. However, he threw some absolutely nasty curves last night especially in the later innings. Looked like a totally different pitcher. Didder is just plain fast. Austin Riley was, unfortunately for him, the "free beer" batter and obliged the crowd by striking out his first two at bats but rebounded with a single and hard hit double.

jpx7
06-14-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure how many viewed Peterson as just a throw-in at the time of the trade. I think Jace was the guy most considered to be mostly a throw-in, even though he had value as a potential utility guy as well.

Dustin Peterson was thought to have a pretty high ceiling at the time of the deal, there were just doubts about him due to his risk of not hitting it. He hit well to begin last year, people got excited, then he fell off and people kind of forgot about him. This year has been great for his prospect status, for sure.

Correct, from everything I recall.

Nerfherders
06-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Okay I have to ask how one pronounces Meneses? Now that I know he's Latin, I am guessing May-nay-says? When I glance at it I see Menses, which is all kinds of wrong.

Tapate50
06-14-2016, 04:44 PM
This is from the comments section in Talking Chop, somebody who as at Touki's game last night. I didn't know he had such a BIG FB?!?

I posted this in another thread but had the opportunity to sit directly behind home plate at the Rome game here in Columbia last night. Saw Touki pitch here a month or so ago and the difference was night and day. He looked much more comfortable and in control of his pitches yesterday. While he consistently threw in the mid 90’s, he hit (according the scoreboard) 101 once and 100 multiple times. However, he threw some absolutely nasty curves last night especially in the later innings. Looked like a totally different pitcher. Didder is just plain fast. Austin Riley was, unfortunately for him, the "free beer" batter and obliged the crowd by striking out his first two at bats but rebounded with a single and hard hit double.

I remember him having a healthy FB, but nothing in the triple digits. I remember if he reached back hard mid 90s?

bravesfanMatt
06-14-2016, 04:47 PM
I remember him having a healthy FB, but nothing in the triple digits. I remember if he reached back hard mid 90s?

I looked at some older scouting reports. he is a max effort pitcher with a mid to upper 90's FB.. touches 98..

I have a feeling the gun at the stadium was off a few MPH.. But he can sit at 94 -96 with movement (which he has) and his wipe out curve and be an ace!!

Julio3000
06-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Didn't Stewart have a little jag about that, talking about how they "hadn't seen 97 from him once"? Or was that TLR? Anyway, it was when they were getting some crap from the media about the deal.

I'm really hoping that he continues to progress. I'm looking forward to watching him break that curve off on some fools.