PDA

View Full Version : Beachy to Visit DR Andrews

TURBO
08-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 51s

Beachy will visit Dr. James Andrews on Monday. Minor will now start on Sunday. #Braves

skidlee
08-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Should have gotten a starter

Hawk
08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
tom_hart: Brandon Beachy's velocity suffered a sharp drop in his last inning vs the Mets Tuesday. Only reached 90 once, mostly stuck in mid-80s. [http://twitter.com/tom_hart/status/370659028344778752]

jpx7
08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
So August is, in fact, the cruelest month.

Braves1976
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM
When it rains it pours, so much for this being our year.

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 04:36 PM
I really hate the baseball gods.

CrimsonCowboy
08-22-2013, 04:37 PM
The hits just keep on coming.....

MadduxFanII
08-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Well, the division title will be fun. Nice to throw another one of those on the railing.

Braves1976
08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
tom_hart: Brandon Beachy's velocity suffered a sharp drop in his last inning vs the Mets Tuesday. Only reached 90 once, mostly stuck in mid-80s. [http://twitter.com/tom_hart/status/370659028344778752]

I noted that also in the the game thread. I was hoping it was that he was just tired. Oh well.

BRule
08-22-2013, 04:51 PM
That was a fun career while it lasted....

Really need to find an OF and a SP in the next week.

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
That was a fun career while it lasted....

Really need to find an OF and a SP in the next week.

Yeah, if he has to have surgery again he's all but finished.

thethe
08-22-2013, 05:00 PM
I knew there was something wrong with him. That really sucks. Braves just can't catch a break even when they have a good team.

ChapelHillMatt
08-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Our Braves are falling apart.

BoneThrower
08-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Damn, somebody needs to sacrifice a live chicken to the baseball Gods before anybody else gets taken down....

thethe
08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I feel ilke I will never see another world series winner again. Sucks so much.

Russ2dollas
08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm more worried about Beachy for our future than I am for the playoffs.

For the playoffs you need 3 good pitchers. I'm not sure he'd be in the top 3. We know it's Minor and Tehran. but who is 3? Maybe it's Wood or Medlen over Beachy.

Stinks....not on the level of Heyward for our chances this year IMO. Huge blow b/c Beachy is a big part of our future. But the 15 game lead makes this year's loss not as big a deal.

thethe
08-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Agreed...Beachy was awesome for us before he got hurt. Our rotation next year had the potential to be the best in baseball.

BRule
08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
As much as it sucks or seems "heartless" if he needs TJS again, you can forget about any future. He will be done

thethe
08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
As much as it sucks or seems "heartless" if he needs TJS again, you can forget about any future. He will be done

Odds are certainly not in his favor.

CyYoung31
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM

With the loss of velocity, it could be a shoulder problem too. Either way his career is probably over if it's anything serious. Feel terrible for him.

Orphan Black
08-22-2013, 05:36 PM
With the loss of velocity, it could be a shoulder problem too. Either way his career is probably over if it's anything serious. Feel terrible for him.

Same here...the guy came out of nowhere for the most part to become a very good starter. Hopefully it isn't serious. I also hope this wasn't caused by him trying to hurry back.

Tapate50
08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Could have just been scar tissue breaking up an may need a week or two off.

holden
08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
I don't think requiring a 2nd TJ surgery is necessary the death knell for his career.

bravesnumberone
08-22-2013, 06:12 PM
What the absolute ****? I can't scroll down this forum any without seeing some goddamn injury to one of our key players.

emk418
08-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Please please please just be scar tissue.

BRule
08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Could have just been scar tissue breaking up an may need a week or two off.

Everything that people are putting out there makes it seem like he's going to get REALLY bad news.

The Chosen One
08-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Everything that people are putting out there makes it seem like he's going to get REALLY bad news.

It's a Braves tradition.

Ampere
08-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Hopefully it's just dead arm or scar tissue and the appointment is precautionary. Has it been reported that he's been experiencing recent pain?

BRule
08-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Hopefully it's just dead arm or scar tissue and the appointment is precautionary. Has it been reported that he's been experiencing recent pain?

There's a few baseball guys on twitter that are saying "They are being told its very bad news"

emk418
08-22-2013, 07:00 PM
There's a few baseball guys on twitter that are saying "They are being told its very bad news"

Like who?

stpeteirish
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
boy, if he needs ligament replacement surgery 1 1/2 years after the first one it really is doomsday type stuff. His elbow obviously cannot handle the rigors of pitching.

Do the "baseball guys on twitter" know what Beachy's x ray looks like? Because you can't diagnose a torn ligament without one, and can't be sure without an MRI. Did he get one already?

edit: AJC has an article up now. Braves ortho guy has examined Beachy and done an MRI. And the're sending him to Andrews. Good bye

striker42
08-22-2013, 07:16 PM
If I had to guess I'd predict it's a torn flexor tendon. A lot of times when they do TJ surgery, the flexor tendon is torn as well but they don't fix it as a year of resting usually lets it heal. But for some reason there's a percentage of people whose flexor tendons don't get better. It's what happened to Mike Hampton.

emk418
08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
DOB said the Braves think it's just tendonitis but are not taking any chances.

thethe
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
DOB said the Braves think it's just tendonitis but are not taking any chances.

That would be graet but I would still shut him down for the rest of the season.

cajunrevenge
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I dont think we should panic just yet. Dr. Andrews did the surgery so this is probably just a check up and not the usual visit to him that almost always follows with TJ surgery. Beachy hasnt pitched enough to need another TJ surgery. Worst case in my opinion is he has as slight tear which is a sprain. If he does then it might be time to consider moving him to the pen full time.

zitothebrave
08-22-2013, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't shut him down for the season but I would basically alternate start he and Julio. Thank fully we have really good SP depth.

Krovahn
08-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Damn..

chipchildress
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
another reason why i begged the braves to stop giving away young pitching in midseason deals.

Carp
08-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Should have traded him for Cain when we had the chance! :YDS:

holden
08-22-2013, 11:38 PM
AJC has an article up now. Braves ortho guy has examined Beachy and done an MRI. And the're sending him to Andrews. Good bye

If true, my thoughts are "good bye" as well. Sucks. I really like Beachy.

Teheran_49
08-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Agreed. No reason to ruin his career and I doubt he would have been in the play-off mix anyway unless as a reliever.

Runnin
08-23-2013, 02:14 AM
And then there were 5. I just hope Minor is alright.

conalthomas
08-23-2013, 07:30 AM
If true, my thoughts are "good bye" as well. Sucks. I really like Beachy.

Well, IF it is true, and his career is over, then obviously it's bad for the Braves and even worse for Beachy. You hate to see something like that for a guy who has been such a great story. That said, it is also possible that it isn't something truly serious. For instance, maybe the Braves medical people looked at the MRI and couldn't see any damage, but they want to be sure, so Beachy is going to see Andrews. Pretty hard to tell what it's really going to be from anything I've read online. Let's hope for the best - for the Braves, and especially for Beachy.

bravebonebook
08-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Other guys come back from TJS throwing harder. Our guy might end up needing more surgery which will put him out until 2015!!!! Man, enough is enough! This team does not deserve this crap right now.

Dunit24
08-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Teheran
Minor
Medlen
Wood
Maholm

We just need Maholm to get back on track. I love what im seeing out of Teheran and Alex. Minor will get going again. All 3 have outstanding stuff.

Sucks for Beachy though, hope he is okay.

NYCBrave
08-23-2013, 08:18 AM
No need to go into panic mode just yet....

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 9h

Beachy spoke after tonight's game. He said he is confident he will pitch again this year. #Braves

Dunit24
08-23-2013, 08:31 AM
No need to go into panic mode just yet....

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 9h

Beachy spoke after tonight's game. He said he is confident he will pitch again this year. #Braves

Sweet. Could just be a follow up to see how everything looks.

thethe
08-23-2013, 08:35 AM
I think it would be a big mistake to pitch Beachy again this year if he is healthy. He needs to be put back on a SLOW rehab schedule to properly build up his arm strength. Just eat your losses and have him ready for next year.

Julio3000
08-23-2013, 08:35 AM
It could be that the Braves are just being extra conservative, considering the big divisional lead. Regardless, the drop in velocity is a concern.

pfiggy
08-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Cheeses, I don't remember all the angst when Venters went under the knife pfor the second time. Did anyone say his career was over? Hopefully, like previously stated, it's just some scar tissue breakin' loose. And yeah, I know Venters is a reliever and Beachster is a starter.

bravebonebook
08-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Cheeses, I don't remember all the angst when Venters went under the knife pfor the second time. Did anyone say his career was over? Hopefully, like previously stated, it's just some scar tissue breakin' loose. And yeah, I know Venters is a reliever and Beachster is a starter.

Venters pitched longer (and in some ways, better) after his first TJS. Beachy has been back for only a few weeks and already experiencing a setback or two. I also hope it's just minor and common due to Beachy pitching more as a starter than a reliever but I can see the point of view by the Venters crowd.

Tapate50
08-23-2013, 09:47 AM
I think it would be a big mistake to pitch Beachy again this year if he is healthy. He needs to be put back on a SLOW rehab schedule to properly build up his arm strength. Just eat your losses and have him ready for next year.

If he is healthy, I hope the Braves FO disagrees.

holden
08-23-2013, 11:18 AM

Agree.

Surgeries are complicated. It could be something simple that can be easily fixed; or, as others have said, maybe they saw something and they're not sure what to make of it, so they're sending him to see his surgeon to get his opinion. We have a big enough lead that it's not going to crush us to skip a starter.

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ofw7mwVt1rtrcvu.gif

I so wish we had picked up another starter so we wouldn't have rushed Beachy back.

chopdrew
08-23-2013, 12:36 PM

I so wish we had picked up another starter so we wouldn't have rushed Beachy back.
There's still 8 days.

Tapate50
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM

I don't think you can say he was rushed. Especially not with the previous starts before this setback.

The Chosen One
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
He certainly wasn't rushed like Wood.

Wood was just rushed extremely prematurely. I'm glad it paid off, but man it could've gotten really messy had it not.

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't think you can say he was rushed. Especially not with the previous starts before this setback.

There is no question he was rushed. He was scheduled for at least two or three more rehab starts before Hudson went down.

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 12:40 PM
He certainly wasn't rushed like Wood.

Wood was just rushed extremely prematurely. I'm glad it paid off, but man it could've gotten really messy had it not.

Yeah. Wood was rushed in a developmental way. Beachy being rushed is a health issue.

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
There's still 8 days.

There isn't eight more days to keep the team from rushing Beachy, unless you want to include rushing him back from whatever his issue is this time.

BRule
08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Lots of people said his career was over, or at least, he would never be the same.

emk418
08-23-2013, 01:31 PM
There is no question he was rushed. He was scheduled for at least two or three more rehab starts before Hudson went down.

Beachy was not rushed back.

The Chosen One
08-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah. Wood was rushed in a developmental way. Beachy being rushed is a health issue.

:facepalm:

thethe
08-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I don't get the Beachy was rushed angle. He made a bunch of starts in the minors as part of the plan that was set forth since his surgery. He wasn't really ahead or behind schedule the whole time.

chopdrew
08-23-2013, 01:46 PM
There isn't eight more days to keep the team from rushing Beachy, unless you want to include rushing him back from whatever his issue is this time.

I just meabt there was still 8 days to try to make a move.

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
:facepalm:

:icon_biggrin:

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I just meabt there was still 8 days to try to make a move.

Oh, okay. That's true.

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I don't get the Beachy was rushed angle. He made a bunch of starts in the minors as part of the plan that was set forth since his surgery. He wasn't really ahead or behind schedule the whole time.

"Hey, Beachy! You are going to have your first start in two weeks or so."

"Okay. That sounds great!"

"Hey, Beachy! Hudson broke his ankle. Instead of two or so weeks from now, you are starting on Monday."

Clearly rushed. Clearly.

Coredor
08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Beachy would have made another start or two in the minors if he hadn't been brought up to Atlanta early when Hudson got hurt. There he would have also thrown and would most likely have been on a similar pitch count. It didn't put more stress on his arm it just gave him less time to get back to form. We had bumped back his scheduled comeback before due to discomfort. We were very careful with Beachy as I'm sure we will continue to be. I also think we're jumping to conclusions. Some discomfort doesn't mean his elbow has gone out again.

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Beachy would have made another start or two in the minors if he hadn't been brought up to Atlanta early when Hudson got hurt. There he would have also thrown and would most likely have been on a similar pitch count. It didn't put more stress on his arm it just gave him less time to get back to form. We had bumped back his scheduled comeback before due to discomfort. We were very careful with Beachy as I'm sure we will continue to be. I also think we're jumping to conclusions. Some discomfort doesn't mean his elbow has gone out again.

You are right about jumping to conclusions. But starts in the majors are more stressful on the arm than rehab starts in the minors. Just look at his first start back. He was overthrowing and was all over the place. That start alone was likely more stressful on his arm than two rehab starts in the minors (where he might throw at 90+% for one or two innings).

Tapate50
08-23-2013, 02:39 PM

He was cleared by everyone. He was going to be given extra time because it was a luxury we could afford , but not because we thought he wasn't ready. Regardless he would have still been pitching in AAA, so the same result (whatever it is) would have happened. I guess it doesn't if you think he tries harder in Atl. Just don't get that angle. No biggie

Dalyn
08-23-2013, 02:57 PM
He was cleared by everyone. He was going to be given extra time because it was a luxury we could afford , but not because we thought he wasn't ready. Regardless he would have still been pitching in AAA, so the same result (whatever it is) would have happened. I guess it doesn't if you think he tries harder in Atl. Just don't get that angle. No biggie

Pitchers on rehab starts don't go 90+% for a game. They may approach that mark for an inning or two. If throwing in the bullpen, where you throw 99% for an inning, sometimes two, is more stressful on your arm than a major league start, then pitching in a rehab start is DEFINITELY less stressful than a normal start in the majors.

NYCBrave
08-23-2013, 03:43 PM
The latest:

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 4m

#Braves announce Beachy has been placed on the DL (right elbow inflammation) and Cunningham recalled from Gwinnett.

stpeteirish
08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
probably done for the year, even if its not another surgery. Maybe some 1 inning bullpen stuff in the last two weeks. Have to protect the elbow which obviously can't handle much stress at this point. Maybe he'll be 100% in March.

Its pretty strange that they say they can't read his MRI but Andrews can.

Bama9507
08-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Well he is the expert on elbow injuries

PawPawMaxwell
08-23-2013, 05:08 PM
If you have ever had an MRI you should know that the tech who administers it cannot say anything. A doctor has to read it/interpret it for insurance reasons.

emk418
08-23-2013, 05:15 PM
probably done for the year, even if its not another surgery. Maybe some 1 inning bullpen stuff in the last two weeks. Have to protect the elbow which obviously can't handle much stress at this point. Maybe he'll be 100% in March.

Its pretty strange that they say they can't read his MRI but Andrews can.

It's not strange. After a pitcher has TJ an MRI is always tricky to read. That's why they always send the pitcher back to the Dr that performed the surgery.

mfree80
08-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Anybody know when we might hear a report on Beachy's prognosis?

NYCBrave
08-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Anybody know when we might hear a report on Beachy's prognosis?

I believe his meeting with Dr. Andrews is scheduled for today.

Tapate50
08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

Dalyn
08-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Any word?

BlackwaterPark
08-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Silence is usually not good

cajunrevenge
08-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Bird is the word

BlackwaterPark
08-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Beachy to speak in a few minutes. Indications are nothing but inflamation

The Chosen One
08-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Hopefully inflammation and they're shutting him down rest of the year to be safe.

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Hopefully inflammation and they're shutting him down rest of the year to be safe.

This would be my preference unless we planned on using him for the pen in the postseason.

Dalyn
08-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Smart, though it sucks not to have a healthy Beachy in the playoff rotation.

thethe
08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
It certainly hurts to not have Beachy back by the postseason but he will be back strong next year and the starting rotation is going to be filthy.

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Have they said anything yet?

BlackwaterPark
08-27-2013, 03:12 PM
No sir

nsacpi
08-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Ligament intact. Beachy to take 10 days off. Still hopes to pitch again in 2013.

Dalyn
08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Ligament intact. Beachy to take 10 days off. Still hopes to pitch again in 2013.

Good news, I hope.

nsacpi
08-27-2013, 03:40 PM
At this point we are looking at a post-season rotation of Minor, Teheran, Medlen and Wood. I'm fine with that. A couple young uns in there, but I think they could rise to the occasion. The A's rode a young rotation pretty far last off-season.

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Rotation of: Minor, Teheran, Medlen and Wood
Bullpen of: Kimbrel, Avilan, Walden, Downs, Carpenter and two of Maholm, Beachy, Ayala and Varvaro if Beachy can throw out of the bullpen and if we go with a sixth bench player.

cajunrevenge
08-27-2013, 05:57 PM
I know this will never happen but I think this is a perfect situation to try out an idea that has been floating around baseball for a while now. That is to have the starters go 3 innings every 3 games. For instance Minor goes 3 innings Game 1 then Medlen 3 innings then turn it over to the pen. Game 2 Teheran/Wood go 3 innings each then turn it over to the pen. Game 3 Maholm/Beachy each go 3 innings then turn it over to the pen. With a game off between games 2 and 3 thats 3 days rest for the starters going into games 4 and 5 if necessary. I think its beneficial to pair a righty and a lefty so the hitters dont get too comfortable with a pitcher. I think this would be brilliant but whoever did it would probably be fired if they didnt win the series.

The Chosen One
08-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Problem with that Cajun is you assume the bullpen guys won't give up any runs the rest of the game.

When the bullpen guys suck, you can't ask the starters to come back in.

Runnin
08-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Players who have major injuries should be able to have a little HGH and/or steroid boost to aid in the healing process.

Coredor
08-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Players who have major injuries should be able to have a little HGH and/or steroid boost to aid in the healing process.

I think that it would be appropriate if approved by the FDA as standard medical treatment. Steroids are prescribed for certain medical conditions and my assumption is that it would be ok in MLB if it were carefully screened. I actually know a non-athlete who was recently prescribed steroids due to some problems with his back. I don't know the details, but he has no interest in bulking up. The key is that it would have to be safe and medically appropriate.

Runnin
08-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Seems to me to be a big difference between using light steroidal supplements as part of a injury recovery program and loading the system up with steroids in order to unnaturally bulk up, but would allowing the one make it easier to cheat on the other? It would also shine a bigger light on MLB's highly hypocritical and sanctimonious public stance if they began to waiver.

lwj10jr
08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
I think that it would be appropriate if approved by the FDA as standard medical treatment. Steroids are prescribed for certain medical conditions and my assumption is that it would be ok in MLB if it were carefully screened. I actually know a non-athlete who was recently prescribed steroids due to some problems with his back. I don't know the details, but he has no interest in bulking up. The key is that it would have to be safe and medically appropriate.

steroids for back problems are usually corticosteroids, which is totally different than anabolic steroids, fyi

ramadon101
08-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Medical marijuana. Problem solved.

... or LSD. Hey it seemed to work for Dock Ellis.

DjGrizz
08-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Da Beachanator!