PDA

View Full Version : Does showing up to the airport to buy a ticket actually work?

holden
08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
It seems like every time I talk to someone about the price of airline tickets, they always know "someone" who, on the day they need a flight to somewhere, will just show up to the airport hoping to buy a last-minute ticket. That can't possibly work, can it? I don't think airports even have ticket counters anymore. It's just baggage drop-off and ticket pick-up areas. Has anyone tried this?

goldfly
08-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Yes

You can go to the airport and buy them at the counter of an airline and buy a ticket for a flight that is leaving that day

Done it a couple times

Julio3000
08-23-2013, 11:55 AM
As long as it's one-way and you insist on paying cash. It helps if you're a male 18-40 and sweat a lot.

Hawk
08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
You can -- usually the price is exponentially higher though, with the exception of 'no-frills' airlines like Spirit, Southwest, Allegiant, where (especially Spirit) sometimes you can actually score an extremely cheap ticket.

gilesfan
08-23-2013, 12:22 PM
It can work. Often though the flights are booked. Also, there is the possibility of flying standby, which equals pretty much a ****ty day of waiting in airports.

holden
08-24-2013, 06:41 PM
As long as it's one-way and you insist on paying cash. It helps if you're a male 18-40 and sweat a lot.

This was my thought as well. There's no way you're not going to be get "randomly" frisked.

Also, I should clarify - I meant that people claim you can do this to obtain super cheap tickets. I know you can buy tickets the day-of. I just don't believe you can show up at an airport last minute and get a great deal on a flight.

goldfly
08-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Depends on some factors but it can happen

weso1
08-24-2013, 10:01 PM
My connection flights to Maine were far from sold out. It's hard to imagine the airliner wouldn't have been willing to sell those at the last minute.