Cockrell 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Orozco 0.2 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Ratcliffe 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 0 K

Moss 2-4, RBI, SB
Mooney 2-4, 3B, R
Wilson 1-4, HR (1st), 2 RBI

Preacher
06-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Soroka, Fried, Muller, Ellis.... another strong day of pitching.

Love tracking the progress of our trio of bats in the GCL (Ventura, Pache, Cruz) there's about $3.5 million invested in Pache and Cruz alone. Both are potentially toolsy bats that play premium positions.

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Muller's first career K comes against Jesus... Holy Smokes

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Soroka, Fried, Muller, Ellis.... another strong day of pitching.

Love tracking the progress of our trio of bats in the GCL (Ventura, Pache, Cruz) there's about $3.5 million invested in Pache and Cruz alone. Both are potentially toolsy bats that play premium positions.

I could see one or both being very Ozzie like. that will never hurt our organizational depth. I had them on my radar this year.. but this Concepcion guy was a total surprise. I will keep my eye on him too. I love hitters..

smootness
06-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Man, that GCL roster is about to be arguably our most exciting in the system. Great starts from Cruz and Pache, and so far, so good for Muller.

CJ9
06-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Muller update: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K.

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Man, that GCL roster is about to be arguably our most exciting in the system. Great starts from Cruz and Pache, and so far, so good for Muller.

I have watched fewer MLB games this year and kept up with Minor league games more. I love watching guys like Mallex/Blair/Wisler/Folty/JT.. but I have grown to really enjoy the minor league depth for the first time as a fan.

CJ9
06-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Muller update: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K. Four ground outs, one fly out.

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 11:59 AM
isn't Muller the kid with the huge bat too.. I mean he is pitching a good game so far.. but maybe they shouldn't DH him...

50PoundHead
06-28-2016, 12:02 PM
It's February already?

CJ9
06-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Muller update: 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K. Four ground outs, one fly out.

This is his final line.

smootness
06-28-2016, 12:08 PM
It is unbelievably rare to have so many guys spread throughout one farm system that are legitimate options to become something good down the line.

GCL: Anderson, Wentz, Muller, Cruz, Pache, Ventura, Rowland, Guardado, Wilson (I guess Concepcion, but I hesitate on him)
Danville: Allard, Wilson, probably Cumberland
Rome: Toussaint, Fried, Soroka, Acuna, Riley, Sanchez, Yepez, Herbert
Carolina: Davidson, Povse, Minter
Mississippi: Swanson, Newcomb, Sims, Peterson, Lien, Whalen, Hursh (?)
Gwinnett: Albies, Blair, Ruiz, Ellis, Banuelos (not counting Folty here)

The most exciting thing is that those lower levels are the most stacked. The rookie levels will be just as stacked next year, too, Rome will still be loaded, and Carolina should become similarly stacked.

Preacher
06-28-2016, 12:12 PM
I could see one or both being very Ozzie like. that will never hurt our organizational depth. I had them on my radar this year.. but this Concepcion guy was a total surprise. I will keep my eye on him too. I love hitters..

Sure, but Concepcion is also 21 in the GCL, but he hit well in the DSL... maybe there's something there. He's going to have to get on his horse and move quickly though.

Update today
Cruz 2-2, 1 R
Pache 0-2, 1 RBI, 1 SB

smootness
06-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Anybody want to take a stab at who is left out of our top 30 after the int'l period (assuming we sign who we're favored to sign, which would put probably just Maitan and Gutierrez into our top 30 right away).

I'm going to say Folty, Blair, M. Smith, Jenkins, Banuelos, Gant, and Cabrera are all graduated, so they won't count.

Even still, you have the following that would clearly be in the top 30 (not in order): Albies, Swanson, Newcomb, Toussaint, Allard, Soroka, Fried, Riley, Acuna, Sims, Anderson, Wentz, Muller, Davidson, Peterson, Ruiz, Cruz, Pache, Povse, Ellis, Whalen, Maitan, Gutierrez. In my opinion, those 23 are all clearly in the top 30 and everything after that is up for debate.

After that, you've got the following group that would have a shot at the top 30: Herbert, Sanchez, Minter, Cumberland, I. Wilson, Yepez, Ventura, Lien, Rowland, Hursh, Akeel Morris, Weigel, Camargo. That is 13 guys, and some may have others they believe should be considered. But regardless, at least 6 of the guys on this list won't be in the Braves' top 30 soon. That is remarkable.

Preacher
06-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Anybody want to take a stab at who is left out of our top 30 after the int'l period (assuming we sign who we're favored to sign, which would put probably just Maitan and Gutierrez into our top 30 right away).

I'm going to say Folty, Blair, M. Smith, Jenkins, Banuelos, Gant, and Cabrera are all graduated, so they won't count.

Even still, you have the following that would clearly be in the top 30 (not in order): Albies, Swanson, Newcomb, Toussaint, Allard, Soroka, Fried, Riley, Acuna, Sims, Anderson, Wentz, Muller, Davidson, Peterson, Ruiz, Cruz, Pache, Povse, Ellis, Whalen, Maitan, Gutierrez. In my opinion, those 23 are all clearly in the top 30 and everything after that is up for debate.

After that, you've got the following group that would have a shot at the top 30: Herbert, Sanchez, Minter, Cumberland, I. Wilson, Yepez, Ventura, Lien, Rowland, Hursh, Akeel Morris, Weigel, Camargo. That is 13 guys, and some may have others they believe should be considered. But regardless, at least 6 of the guys on this list won't be in the Braves' top 30 soon. That is remarkable.

Crazy deep system -- I'd move Minter/Cumberland/Wiegel into your guaranteed top-30. I'd probably round it out with Yepez, Akeel, Wilson and Hursh.

smootness
06-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Severino may make it into the top 30 right away as well. I probably wouldn't put him in, but he should be in the 'in consideration' group.

KB21
06-28-2016, 01:06 PM
How long is it before we consider Joey Meneses a legitimate prospect as well, as he has done will in his initial start at AA, which is a more age appropriate league for him?

smootness
06-28-2016, 01:10 PM
How long is it before we consider Joey Meneses a legitimate prospect as well, as he has done will in his initial start at AA, which is a more age appropriate league for him?

He might get some looks for a top 30 list, but I generally put more stock in scouting reports than results, at least until a guy gets to AA/AAA, so we'll see. I don't think he was even on the radar until this year. I'll be interested to see what scouts who have seen him think. His best-case scenario seems to be a corner OF who is ok defensively and doesn't have much power.

KB21
06-28-2016, 01:25 PM
He might get some looks for a top 30 list, but I generally put more stock in scouting reports than results, at least until a guy gets to AA/AAA, so we'll see. I don't think he was even on the radar until this year. I'll be interested to see what scouts who have seen him think. His best-case scenario seems to be a corner OF who is ok defensively and doesn't have much power.

I'm not sure what the scouts felt about him when he was 19 coming out of Mexico. I do know that he has had some injury issues, but when he has been healthy, he has generally hit the ball well.

CJ9
06-28-2016, 01:39 PM

I doubt it any time soon. He was bad in Carolina last year and was repeating the level as a 24 year old when he put up big numbers. He's only played five games in Mississippi.

KB21
06-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Dansby Swanson in the Futures Game.

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 02:24 PM
Dansby Swanson in the Futures Game.

and future brave Moncada.. :HeywardWut:

3Deans
06-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Not trying to be Debbie Downer just curious on people's thoughts. If our system is so dominate why are our minor league records so poor? Serious question, just wondering.

Julio3000
06-28-2016, 04:45 PM
Not trying to be Debbie Downer just curious on people's thoughts. If our system is so dominate why are our minor league records so poor? Serious question, just wondering.

I think we have some spotty bullpens in the minors, and not a ton of position-player depth, but I think the losing records have more to do with having prospects who are good enough to be playing while young for their level (perhaps taking some lumps in the process) and an emphasis on instruction/development (over piling up innings/wins) w/r/t young arms.

The Chosen One
06-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Well we had good teams in the minors when our rosters consisted of Trey Hodges, Mike Hessman, Wes Helms, Jung Bong... don't think there's a correlation.

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 04:47 PM

I wouldn't sweat records too much.. just look at the GCL game today. Muller dominated them but we lost because two lessor prospect came in a blew the lead. As the season shakes out, you will see teams play better. I think Rome will start to blow teams out soon.

3Deans
06-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks I understand that this is the most individual team sport there is, but I just figured we would be winning more games but that makes sense.

bravos4evr
06-28-2016, 04:48 PM

I did some research on this and there is zero correlation between farm system rankings and minor league team results. Think of it like this:

Let's say you have a great and deep farm system ranked in the top 3. That's still only 30 prospects, but those 30 guys are spread between 6 or 7 teams and 200+ players. So you may only have 3-4 on the upper level teams at any time and 2 of them might be starting pitchers who only contribute every 5 games. The rest of the team is org depth and journeymen types. Basically, winning in the minor leagues is more about how good your "never going to MLB" players are rather than the quality of your prospects.

mqt
06-28-2016, 05:04 PM

I think we need to stop penciling in Gutierrez on our top prospect lists. Just about every report coming out at this point suggests that he has dropped off significantly compared to his peers and that the tools aren't great at this point. I think Cumberland and Herbert both should be easily ahead of him based on what is out there.

One name you didn't mention that I still am intrigued with is Leudys Baez. I don't think he'll be top 30, but I also think he has a chance to jump up quickly.

IslandBrave
06-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Riley 2-3 this afternoon with a triple. Kid is starting to heat up.

Soroka is flat dealing too.

nsacpi
06-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Imo, Soroka is now our best pitching prospect. Dominating in a full-season league at 18.

CJ9
06-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Soroka threw a CG in game one. They only play seven-inning games during a DH.

7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER/R, 1 BB, 7 K. Gave up a solo homer, his first homer allowed in over 100 innings as a pro.

mqt
06-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Soroka threw a CG in game one. They only play seven-inning games during a DH.

7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER/R, 1 BB, 7 K. Gave up a solo homer, his first homer allowed in over 100 innings as a pro.

Confirmed bust.

smootness
06-28-2016, 06:05 PM
I think we need to stop penciling in Gutierrez on our top prospect lists. Just about every report coming out at this point suggests that he has dropped off significantly compared to his peers and that the tools aren't great at this point. I think Cumberland and Herbert both should be easily ahead of him based on what is out there.

One name you didn't mention that I still am intrigued with is Leudys Baez. I don't think he'll be top 30, but I also think he has a chance to jump up quickly.

Some still have him on top 10 international lists. I would say he'll be in our top 30.

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 06:11 PM
How would you feel if you are 20 games under 500 and facing Soroka and Fried in a seven inning double hitter.

bravesfanMatt
06-28-2016, 06:16 PM
How would you feel if you are 20 games under 500 and facing Soroka and Fried in a seven inning double hitter.

Except Fried is not starting. Oops.

dak
06-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Well we had good teams in the minors when our rosters consisted of Trey Hodges, Mike Hessman, Wes Helms, Jung Bong... don't think there's a correlation.

Jung Bong . . . that just blew my mind.

50PoundHead
06-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Of course we had a good record in the minors back then with Big Hess in tow.

The Chosen One
06-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Imo, Soroka is now our best pitching prospect. Dominating in a full-season league at 18.

Imagine if Soroka and Sobotka make it together.

Oklahomabrave
06-28-2016, 08:11 PM
Why isn't Fried pitching? An hour before the game he was listed as the starter.

praeceps93
06-28-2016, 08:19 PM

Maybe a callup inbound?

UNCBlue012
06-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Maybe a callup inbound? that didn't cross my mind. It would be awesome.

Heyward
06-28-2016, 09:17 PM

he was traded for Myers

Oklahomabrave
06-28-2016, 09:19 PM
he was traded for Myers

Wouldn't shock me.

Garmel
06-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Riley's 5 out of his last 6 games have been very good. Also, he hasn't struck out in his last four games.

yeezus
06-29-2016, 07:07 AM

What exactly is his stuff like?

nsacpi
06-29-2016, 07:11 AM
What exactly is his stuff like?

Heavy sinker type guy. I think his fastball sits around 92-93. I like the combination of his being a sinkerball pitcher with a strong strikeout rate and low walk rate. And the age for level colors my evaluation pretty strongly.

msstate7
06-29-2016, 07:11 AM
Riley's 5 out of his last 6 games have been very good. Also, he hasn't struck out in his last four games.

Nice to have 2 3b guys trending well lately.

yeezus
06-29-2016, 07:50 AM
Heavy sinker type guy. I think his fastball sits around 92-93. I like the combination of his being a sinkerball pitcher with a strong strikeout rate and low walk rate. And the age for level colors my evaluation pretty strongly.

awesome, thanks. his age is definitely (y)huge. who knows, he's only 18 so that fastball could jump a couple MPH.

CJ9
06-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Wentz starting today for the GCL team.

skillet
06-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Where will Maitin be assigned when we sign him? GCL?

ball4life32
06-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Where will Maitin be assigned when we sign him? GCL?

Probably starts with GCL but that won't be until next year.

mqt
06-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Probably starts with GCL but that won't be until next year.

This. If he absolutely tears it up, I can see him maybe ending the year with Danville, but I think that's a long shot. Either way, J2 signees sign contracts for the following year, so the most we'd see of him is an appearance at Instructs.

praeceps93
06-29-2016, 04:14 PM
This. If he absolutely tears it up, I can see him maybe ending the year with Danville, but I think that's a long shot. Either way, J2 signees sign contracts for the following year, so the most we'd see of him is an appearance at Instructs.

Right. He'll probably be in the Tricky League this summer, then at instructs, then DSL/GCL next year.