PDA

View Full Version : 6/30 MINORSTHURSDAY FINAL...GWINNETT NO HITTER!!! Cumberland catching Allard

rico43
06-30-2016, 12:01 AM
THURSDAY'S MINOR LEAGUE RESULTS

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 3, Louisville 0
One error shy of perfect game

WP: Wooten (1-1) 6 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K
Marksberry 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Ramirez (Save, 4) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Ruiz 2-5, 2B, R, RBI, SB
Kazmar (SS) 3-4
Lalli 2-3, RBI
Tuiasosopo 2-4, HR (10th), RBI

CLASS AA

Mississipppi 6, Jackson 5 (10)

SP: Mateo 4 IP, 6 H, 23 ER, 5 BB, 2 K
Kent 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Morris 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER. 2 BB. 1 K
WP: Hursh (3-2) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Younginer (Save, 7) 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Swanson 4-5, 3B, R
Albies 3-5, R (2ndBase)
Peterson 1-4, RBI
Meneses 1-5, R (RF)
Camargo 1-3, RBI
Astudillo 1-5, HR (2nd), RBI, K
Schrader 2-5, RBI

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg 9, Carolina 1

SP: Beech 5.2 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
McLaughlin 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Johnson-Mullins 1 IP, 1 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K

Gaylor 2-4, 2B
Giardina 2-3
Davidson 1-3, R

CLASS A

Lexington 5, Rome 4

SP: Toussaint 4 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 8 K
McCreery 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
LP: Geekie (2-3) 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER. 2 BB, 3 K

Castro 2-4, 2 HR (9th, 10th), 2 RBI
Baez 2-4, HR (1st), RBI
Didder 2-4, 2B, R
Dykstra 1-4, RBI

SHORT-SEASON

DSL Brewers 9, DSL Braves 2

LP: Volquez (1-1) 1.1 IP, 5 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
Diaz 3 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Rodriguez 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
Gil 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Blanco 1-2, R, RBI
Michel 0-5 (.300)

-----------

GCL Braves 3, GCL Yankees 1

WP: Rangel (1-0) 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K
Javier 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
B. White (Save, 1) 1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

Ventura 2-3, RBI, 2 SB, CS
Concepcion 0-4
Pache 1-4
Aquino 1-4, 2B, RBI

-------------

Danville 3, Johnson City 0

WP: Allard (1-0) 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, HBP
Webb 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Stanton 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
B. White 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2 HBP

James 1-4, 2B, RBI
Mooney 2-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI
Cumberland 1-3, 2B, R, RBI (Braves debut)

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 06:40 AM
Snit said in his pre game that Folty was slated to rehab in Carolina?? Wonder why there.

50PoundHead
06-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Snit said in his pre game that Folty was slated to rehab in Carolina?? Wonder why there.

Gwinnett's on the road in Louisville, so it's most likely a proximity thing.

IslandBrave
06-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Ozzie headed back to AA to start playing with Dansby.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 07:46 AM
At bat shows folty as Atlanta starter tonight fwiw

Preacher
06-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Feels like they mismanaged this Ozzy thing a little bit. If the goal is to have them play together, should have left Ozzy at AA.

Feels like spin to me.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 07:50 AM
At bat shows folty as Atlanta starter tonight fwiw

Coming to say this. Snit said he is healthy and ready. I don't like this. We are messing with his future for a meaningless game. Let him go about 85 pitches in the minors where he knows it doesn't matter.

IslandBrave
06-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Feels like they mismanaged this Ozzy thing a little bit. If the goal is to have them play together, should have left Ozzy at AA.

Feels like spin to me.

Spin? He started off slow, but he's more than holding his own at AAA. I think he's hit about .300 over his last 10 games. I think it's more that Dansby may not be ready for AAA

Julio3000
06-30-2016, 08:09 AM
Spin? He started off slow, but he's more than holding his own at AAA. I think he's hit about .300 over his last 10 games. I think it's more that Dansby may not be ready for AAA

Yep

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Yep

hitting .300 over the last 7 days doesn't scream demotion.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 08:20 AM
hitting .300 over the last 7 days doesn't scream demotion.

Would defense play a part in a demotion? He has 11 errors at Gwinnett

Preacher
06-30-2016, 08:23 AM

So it makes more sense to demote Ozzy who has started to hit well in AAA, than it is to wait for Dansby to get promoted? For what purpose? So te two can play together, even though that was never a consideration in the past?

This feels mismanaged

msstate7
06-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Seems there's less and less reasons to even look at a Gwinnett boxscore. Who's noteworthy there now? Ruiz and Blair? Seems we're gutting our AAA team

striker42
06-30-2016, 08:25 AM
So it makes more sense to demote Ozzy who has started to hit well in AAA, than it is to wait for Dansby to get promoted? For what purpose? So te two can play together, even though that was never a consideration in the past?

This feels mismanaged

It makes sense if they're wanting Albies to learn a new position. Let him play at a level he's more comfortable at, let him and Dansby play together, and let Ozzie learn the new position.

Tapate50
06-30-2016, 08:26 AM

This feels mismanaged

There really is nothing to see here it seems. They want them playing together. AA is where the rubber meets the road, and Albies destroyed it. I don't think they are worried about him at all, and want to see them together at some point before Cobb. So, it makes sense.

Tapate50
06-30-2016, 08:27 AM
Seems there's less and less reasons to even look at a Gwinnett boxscore. Who's noteworthy there now? Ruiz and Blair? Seems we're gutting our AAA team

Our talent is at AA and below mostly. So when they say 2017 to compete, it goes in one ear as 2017, and comes out the other as 2019.

Preacher
06-30-2016, 08:28 AM
There really is nothing to see here it seems. They want them playing together. AA is where the rubber meets the road, and Albies destroyed it. I don't think they are worried about him at all, and want to see them together at some point before Cobb. So, it makes sense.

Ozzy was skipped a level SO they wouldn't play together, it hasn't been a consideration all year, then he's sent to AAA, struggles, starts to figure it out and as soon as he does he's demoted so they can suddenly play together again????

What???

If it was that important they should have been doing it at AA when Dansby came up.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Would defense play a part in a demotion? He has 11 errors at Gwinnett

No. But 11 errors at SS probably pushes him to 2B.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 08:36 AM

A few of those are at 2b... Too lazy to look it up though

CJ9
06-30-2016, 08:43 AM
Our talent is at AA and below mostly. So when they say 2017 to compete, it goes in one ear as 2017, and comes out the other as 2019.

Totally agree with this, and it's why I'm a little nervous about the front office getting too antsy this offseason. It's also the reason I'm fine with trading Teheran for hitting prospects, considering I think we are a couple years away from being competitive again.

50PoundHead
06-30-2016, 09:06 AM

I've got 2020 vision. Maybe front office Lasik gets it to 2019.

yeezus
06-30-2016, 09:07 AM
I've got 2020 vision. Maybe front office Lasik gets it to 2019.

2016 is as good as it gets tho.

nsacpi
06-30-2016, 09:10 AM
I think we're looking at a slow gradual improvement in the team's baseline over the next few years. But actual results always differ from the underlying baseline, reflecting injuries and other elements of luck.

Depending upon how the front office allocates the spending power it will have this off-season, our biggest one season improvement in wins and losses could come in 2017.

Preacher
06-30-2016, 09:12 AM
I've been consistent in saying that 2017 is a bit of a pipe-dream; and that's PERFECTLY FINE. Don't short circuit the rebuild to cut corners.

One of the biggest obstacles to that is the pressure of opening a new stadium, I wish we had another year before the move lol.

50PoundHead
06-30-2016, 09:15 AM
2016 is as good as it gets tho.

I'm praying for temporary blindness.

jimsnores
06-30-2016, 09:19 AM
I think we're looking at a slow gradual improvement in the team's baseline over the next few years. But actual results always differ from the underlying baseline, reflecting injuries and other elements of luck.

Depending upon how the front office allocates the spending power it will have this off-season, our biggest one season improvement in wins and losses could come in 2017.

Could be. I think it would be a mistake to totally punt 2017, given the hype it's been given and the importance of establishing a good major league product in the new stadium. I certainly wouldn't do anything rash to be in "win now" mode, but short of rushing players so much that it retards development, they need to try to win. Spend some cash on free agents and see what the kids can do in 2017. While I am a realist that expects a sub .500 2017, I do like to hope. Best case scenario? Swanson and Albies are the real deal and play well in 2017, Adonis continues reasonable (or maybe even slightly plus???) defense and hits near major league average with some power, Freddie has a career year as he reaches his prime, Mallex improves as he has at each level, Inciarte plays as well as last year and Neck is either traded or plays MLB average. Julion pitches close to how he has this year, Folty is healthy and figures it out, Wisler improves a little, Newcomb figures it out and some other starter is a decent four or five. It isn't impossible that most of these things happen and something else unexpected happens for good. That team could compete. Of course, I did say "best case".

Hope springs eternal. Expectations spring.........

Enscheff
06-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Ozzy was skipped a level SO they wouldn't play together, it hasn't been a consideration all year, then he's sent to AAA, struggles, starts to figure it out and as soon as he does he's demoted so they can suddenly play together again????

What???

If it was that important they should have been doing it at AA when Dansby came up.

They wanted both to play SS so they could decide which would stay there long term. They made that decision, and it's obviously Swanson at SS. Now they want them to play together, so they either had to promote Swanson to AAA, or demote Albies to AA. Since neither was exactly tearing up their respective level, it makes sense to have them play together in AA.

Seems very logical to me. However, they probably jumped the gun with the promotions in the first place. They should have kept Albies at AA the entire time since he is so young, and just promoted Swanson to AA when they decided to have them play together. I think they were overaggressive with their promotions. Folks can poo-poo it all they want, but demoting a guy is NEVER a good thing.

auyushu
06-30-2016, 11:07 AM
Seems very logical to me. However, they probably jumped the gun with the promotions in the first place. They should have kept Albies at AA the entire time since he is so young, and just promoted Swanson to AA when they decided to have them play together. I think they were overaggressive with their promotions. Folks can poo-poo it all they want, but demoting a guy is NEVER a good thing.

Pretty much this all around. Hopefully this is a sign that maybe they will hold off on making them opening day starters next year if they don't show they are ready.

auyushu
06-30-2016, 11:10 AM
A few of those are at 2b... Too lazy to look it up though

Nah, those are all at SS, and just from AAA. He has 20 errors on the season, 11 at SS at AAA, 4 at AA, and then 5 at 2B at AAA.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 11:41 AM
That Rangel kid is pitching again for the GCL team today. If you remember, he had 8Ks in 4ip last time. He has 2 in the 1st already. WHO IS HE?!?!

CJ9
06-30-2016, 11:47 AM
That Rangel kid is pitching again for the GCL team today. If you remember, he had 8Ks in 4ip last time. He has 2 in the 1st already. WHO IS HE?!?!

The only thing I've been able to find is this Johnny Almaraz quote from when Rangel signed in 2014: “We’re projecting him to have three above-average pitches. He’s a number three type starter one day. He’s got a good curve and change. He throws 88-90 mph.”

msstate7
06-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Nah, those are all at SS, and just from AAA. He has 20 errors on the season, 11 at SS at AAA, 4 at AA, and then 5 at 2B at AAA.

Thanks. 4 at 2b is a big number considering he hasn't been there long

yeezus
06-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Thanks. 4 at 2b is a big number considering he hasn't been there long

well, not being there long probably has a lot to do with it, as well.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 11:55 AM
The only thing I've been able to find is this Johnny Almaraz quote from when Rangel signed in 2014: “We’re projecting him to have three above-average pitches. He’s a number three type starter one day. He’s got a good curve and change. He throws 88-90 mph.”

wonder if he is still throwing that hard or if he has gained some velocity. he is only 18.. so it could be. Maybe he has a nasty curve/slider.. he has 3 Ks through 2 innings and they have all been swinging.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 11:57 AM
well, not being there long probably has a lot to do with it, as well.

202 innings at 2nd
267 innings at SS

not a huge difference. I think his struggles at the plate carried over to the field.

yeezus
06-30-2016, 11:58 AM
202 innings at 2nd
267 innings at SS

not a huge difference. I think his struggles at the plate carried over to the field.

but he's been at SS his whole minor league career, no?

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 12:00 PM
but he's been at SS his whole minor league career, no?

yes.. saying that his error rate is higher at SS if you look at innings. He did ok at second. I am not too worried about his fielding personally. I think it is just a thing as he works to make it to the Majors.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 12:07 PM
202 innings at 2nd
267 innings at SS

Nevermind me, I'm lost. I didn't realize he's played that many innings at 2b

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Nevermind me, I'm lost. I didn't realize he's played that many innings at 2b

next time take a left at Albuquerque

50PoundHead
06-30-2016, 12:20 PM
next time take a left at Albuquerque

But turn right when you come to the spoon in the road.

CJ9
06-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Alan Rangel done: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Rangel's first two GCL starts: 9 IP, 4 H, 1 ER/R, 2 BB, 12 K. He's still 18 years old for a few more months.

smootness
06-30-2016, 01:03 PM

What???

It's probably more that they've decided Albies will play 2B and Dansby SS so they want them playing together. The main reason they were kept apart was to keep them both at SS to get more time seeing them both play it to figure out who is the long-term option there.

ETA: Or, what Enscheff said.

CJ9
06-30-2016, 02:57 PM
Cumberland is behind the plate and hitting cleanup for Danville tonight. First game since signing.

bravos4evr
06-30-2016, 03:05 PM
I really like Cumberland and hope he can stick at the dish because I think that bat is fo realz

smootness
06-30-2016, 03:11 PM
Coming to say this. Snit said he is healthy and ready. I don't like this. We are messing with his future for a meaningless game. Let him go about 85 pitches in the minors where he knows it doesn't matter.

How are we messing with his future by starting him in Atlanta instead of Carolina?

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 03:26 PM
How are we messing with his future by starting him in Atlanta instead of Carolina?

I think rehab starts should be just that.. rehab.. I understand you throw a pitch regardless if you are in Atlanta or Carolina. But If his arm still needs time to build strength, then throwing in higher leverage situations could be bad. I just think if a team doctor says let him throw in the minors a few games to build back arm strength and test elbow.. then you do that if your season is already down the ****ter.. what benefit does bringing him back early accomplish? We are not going to win this year.. let some scrub throw and we can get our brains beat in.. WHO CARES!!!

nsacpi
06-30-2016, 03:27 PM

I do think the stress of effort (from adrenaline and so forth) is greater in a major league game than a rehab start. Theoretically you can rehab in major league games, but there is some increased risk.

smootness
06-30-2016, 03:29 PM
I think rehab starts should be just that.. rehab.. I understand you throw a pitch regardless if you are in Atlanta or Carolina. But If his arm still needs time to build strength, then throwing in higher leverage situations could be bad. I just think if a team doctor says let him throw in the minors a few games to build back arm strength and test elbow.. then you do that if your season is already down the ****ter.. what benefit does bringing him back early accomplish? We are not going to win this year.. let some scrub throw and we can get our brains beat in.. WHO CARES!!!

I just don't know why we're assuming doctors told him to throw in the minors and we're just snubbing them and decided, 'Who cares, just pitch him in Atlanta.' If he's going to pitch anyway, and we feel like he's ready to throw in the majors, then let him throw in the majors.

We have a tendency to be overly dramatic about everything. Starting in Atlanta instead of Carolina is not going to ruin his career.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 03:43 PM
I just don't know why we're assuming doctors told him to throw in the minors and we're just snubbing them and decided, 'Who cares, just pitch him in Atlanta.' If he's going to pitch anyway, and we feel like he's ready to throw in the majors, then let him throw in the majors.

We have a tendency to be overly dramatic about everything. Starting in Atlanta instead of Carolina is not going to ruin his career.

I don't believe I broke my pitch forks out. I just think we should err on the side of caution in a lost season. throwing to a bunch of kids is less stressful than a bunch of MLB players.

bravos4evr
06-30-2016, 03:58 PM
I'm good with Dansby and Ozzie at AA, this means that when they come back to play the Shuckers in August I get to see both! (and maybe get a couple of ball signed)

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm good with Dansby and Ozzie at AA, this means that when they come back to play the Shuckers in August I get to see both! (and maybe get a couple of ball signed)

if they are still there in August.

jimsnores
06-30-2016, 04:10 PM
if they are still there in August.

They will.....September call ups.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 04:16 PM
They will.....September call ups.

They will be in the minors.. but will they be in AA..

smootness
06-30-2016, 05:23 PM
I don't believe I broke my pitch forks out. I just think we should err on the side of caution in a lost season. throwing to a bunch of kids is less stressful than a bunch of MLB players.

Did I say you broke your pitch forks out? You suggested we are messing with his future by starting him in a major league game...on a day when we were going to start him in a minor league game. I think that's a touch overly dramatic.

bravos4evr
06-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's gonna make much difference. He's gonna be throwing 98 in MLB or MiLB, so if something bad was gonna happen, it was gonna happen in either place.

50PoundHead
06-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Alan Rangel done: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K.

Rangel's first two GCL starts: 9 IP, 4 H, 1 ER/R, 2 BB, 12 K. He's still 18 years old for a few more months.

Good start to the season for Rangel. My nickname for him is the Raisin W-Rangel-er.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/192/495366836_91bb1cd109_b.jpg

cajunrevenge
06-30-2016, 05:53 PM

From what I have seen of the guys who play 1b for Gwinnett they would be below average defenders as a DH, much less 1b.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Did I say you broke your pitch forks out? You suggested we are messing with his future by starting him in a major league game...on a day when we were going to start him in a minor league game. I think that's a touch overly dramatic.

Right. I think potential set backs to rehab is messing with future. I see no benefit in him throwing to mlb hitters right now. It might be fine and he is right back on track. But he gets beat around because his arm isn't strong and he loses confidence. Or he over throws a pitch and tweaks something because he over compensating. I just don't like risk when there is zero reward. Which him pitching tonight has ZERO reward.

clvclv
06-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Right. I think potential set backs to rehab is messing with future. I see no benefit in him throwing to mlb hitters right now. It might be fine and he is right back on track. But he gets beat around because his arm isn't strong and he loses confidence. Or he over throws a pitch and tweaks something because he over compensating. I just don't like risk when there is zero reward. Which him pitching tonight has ZERO reward.

Just a guess, but if the doctors didn't tell him to throttle back from the 97 and 98 he just threw Yelich, they probably didn't give a *hit which mound he was going to be throwing from.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Just a guess, but if the doctors didn't tell him to throttle back from the 97 and 98 he just threw Yelich, they probably didn't give a *hit which mound he was going to be throwing from.

Well I will say that was f'ing impressive.

smootness
06-30-2016, 06:31 PM

Yeah, again...overly dramatic. He was going to be throwing really hard off some mound tonight. The doctors were fine with it. I mean, you could make the case that if his arm isn't strong and he gets killed by A+ or AAA hitters, his confidence will be even more shot. Technically there's no reward to him pitching the rest of the year...so let's just sit him until 2018.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Touki struggles in the first. Folty fails in the second. Bummer.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Allard with a nice start. Touki battled. He had 8Ks. But was wild doing it.

IslandBrave
06-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Albies and Dansby both 2-2 and DPete is 1-2. That's a helluva top to the Miss order.

CJ9
06-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Six scoreless for Allard with 1 BB/5 K.

Cumberland has an RBI double.

Heyward
06-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Six scoreless for Allard with 1 BB/5 K.

I thought he should have retired after two rough starts to begin his minor league career?

Jay2033
06-30-2016, 08:14 PM
I thought he should have retired after two rough starts to begin his minor league career?

This! The panic here was ridiculous!

jpack1
06-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Allard back dealing. Good thing we held off releasing him.

Deester11
06-30-2016, 08:24 PM
This! The panic here was ridiculous!
Really? The level-headed posters here didn't blink.

UNCBlue012
06-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Swanson is 3-3! All he needed was his buddy Albies back!

jpack1
06-30-2016, 08:34 PM
G Braves finish off no no.

jimsnores
06-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Combined no no for Gwinett!

CrimsonCowboy
06-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Nice job G-Braves pitchers. A no-hitter!

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Way to go Gwinnett. Go and have a beer. Now that Ozzie is off that team they should be good.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Way to go Gwinnett. Go and have a beer. Now that Ozzie is off that team they should be good.

Lol

msstate7
06-30-2016, 08:39 PM
Need to send Ruiz and Blair down to AA so I can catch them all at MBrave games

rico43
06-30-2016, 08:51 PM
G-Braves walked no one. One error (Kazmar) shy of a perfect game. So is Wooten now a chip in the trade wars?

msstate7
06-30-2016, 08:58 PM
G-Braves walked no one. One error (Kazmar) shy of a perfect game. So is Wooten now a chip in the trade wars?

Maybe we can flip him for 2 pitchers... Need to keep adding pitching

jpx7
06-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Swanson is 3-3! All he needed was his buddy Albies back!

Nice to see them both posting good lines in their debut as a duo.

nsacpi
06-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Allard back

I'd rather not see those two words within proximity of each other.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 09:17 PM
I'd rather not see those two words within proximity of each other.

lol... I thought the same thing when I First read that.

50PoundHead
06-30-2016, 09:44 PM
Two more hits for Mr. Mooney in Danville.

https://decadesnetwork.s3.amazonaws.com/EvW28-1466612828-408-decades_days-803_6-30-16.jpg

nsacpi
06-30-2016, 09:45 PM
Nice game from Wooten. Even before tonight he held some interest for me. Reverse splits. Give him a chance as a starter.

nsacpi
06-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Both Brandon S and Brandon T White pitching tonight. Now I know how to tell them apart.

bravesfanMatt
06-30-2016, 10:05 PM
A-Stud-illo with a 9th inning tying homer.. then Swanson lines into double play with go ahead run on 2nd..

cajunrevenge
06-30-2016, 11:34 PM
There is a cliche about needing veterans to win both in te regular season aND the playoffs but I think it's the other way around. Younger players seem to play with more urgency and fire. I think people are expecting linear growth from the prospects but rarely does it work out that way. Heywood had his best season at the plate his first year. Francoeur was never better than his first few years. Erik Hinske won the rookie of the year award and was never better than a platoon/bench bat after that year. I now you remember the legend of Charles Thomas. I still think 2017 may be a bit ambitious but I won't be the least bit surprised if these young prospects come up and make a run at a playoff spot next year either.

praeceps93
07-01-2016, 12:22 AM
There is a cliche about needing veterans to win both in te regular season aND the playoffs but I think it's the other way around. Younger players seem to play with more urgency and fire. I think people are expecting linear growth from the prospects but rarely does it work out that way. Heywood had his best season at the plate his first year. Francoeur was never better than his first few years. Erik Hinske won the rookie of the year award and was never better than a platoon/bench bat after that year. I now you remember the legend of Charles Thomas. I still think 2017 may be a bit ambitious but I won't be the least bit surprised if these young prospects come up and make a run at a playoff spot next year either.

I agree with you to a certain extent; certainly rookies have a larger desire to prove themselves and take over as faces of teams. However, I think having one or two veterans with a strong presence is a huge boon for a team, even if not exactly essential to victory. Having a David Wright, a Chipper Jones, a Derek Jeter to lead your squad, to set an example of how to be a professional, how to deal with slumps and losing streaks as well as winning streaks and overconfidence? I'd pay good money to have that. I do believe there's a diminishing returns value there, though. Having more than one or two probably wouldn't have any particularly large effect.

Tapate50
07-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Pretty great day on the farm, and I was saying that around noon. Only got better!

Tapate50
07-01-2016, 06:58 AM
A 5/3 GDT ratio yesterday. Strong braves fans, strong. We will make posibraves of you all yet

sturg33
07-01-2016, 09:02 AM
I truly don't remember a single poster panicking about Allard