PDA

View Full Version : 7/11 MONDAY MINORS FINAL: Allard aces! Wentz still unscored on

rico43
07-11-2016, 03:16 PM
MONDAY'S MINOR LEAGUE RESULTS

CLASS AAA

idle; all-star break

CLASS AA

Mobile 11, Mississippi 8

SP: Whalen 3 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
LP: Phillips (0-1) 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
Dirks 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
Kent 1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER(2R), 0 BB, 1 K

Hyams 3-4, 2 2B, R, RBI
Peterson 1-5, R, RBI
Albies 2-5, 2B, 2 R, RBI
Gaylor 1-5, R
Meneses 1-4, RBI
Franco 1-1, 2B, R, RBI (PH)
Astudillo 2-4, 2B, R, RBI

ADVANCED CLASS A

Potomac 6, Carolina 5

SP: Beech 5 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
lp: Salazar (1-4) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 2 K
Sobotka 1.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Davidson 1-4, HR (8th), 2 R, 2 RBI
Obregon 3-4, 2 2B, R, SB
Giardina 2-4, 2 2B, RBI

CLASS A

Rome, idle

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Braves 3, GCL Yankees 2

SP: Wentz 3 IP,. 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K
WP: Javier 4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
Greene 1 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, HR
Schlosser (Save, 1 ) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Concepcion 2-4, HR (1st) RBI
Boeldak 1-4, 3B, RBI
Pache 2-4, RBI
Cruz 1-4
Fernandez 2-4, R, 2 SB

------------

DSL Rockies 6, DSL Braves 5 (10)

SP: De la Cruz 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
Vasquez 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
LP: Rodriguez (2-1) 4.1 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

Michel 2-4, 2B, BB
Centeno 1-3, 2B, R, 2 RBI
J.C. Encarnacion 2-5, R, RBI

-------------

Danville 7, Kingsport 2

WP: Allard (2-0) 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K
Webb 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
McCreery 1 IP, 2 H, 2 Er, 0 BB, 2 K
B.S. White 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Mooney 1-2, R, 2 RBI
James 1-1, RBI, BB (.340)
Lee 3-4, 2 R
Cumberland 1-4, R

DaneHill
07-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Kinda wish they'd let Wentz bat too.

mfree80
07-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Kinda wish they'd let Wentz bat too.

Yeah.... Not sure I would feel too bad if he pulled an Andrelton and said "let me try hitting for a year before you make me a pitcher,"

He would probably be really good either way!

Coach_Chris
07-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Prediction: Wentz will never give up a earned run. NEVER. :Bowman:

msstate7
07-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Prediction: Wentz will never give up a earned run. NEVER. :Bowman:

Come on... That's unrealistic. I say he'll give up 1 when he gets to AA or maybe AAA

Millwood1Hitter
07-11-2016, 05:12 PM
I have reason to believe Wentz will give up more runs in his career than he drives in.

DaneHill
07-11-2016, 05:34 PM
At what point do they start stretching these guys out longer than just 3 innings? Or is this just a standard thing for short-season ball after a high school or college season ends?

smootness
07-11-2016, 05:36 PM
At what point do they start stretching these guys out longer than just 3 innings? Or is this just a standard thing for short-season ball after a high school or college season ends?

This is pretty typical, but if I remember correctly, we started stretching Soroka out to 4-5 IP before we shut him down last year.

auyushu
07-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Yeah, seems to be pretty standard for the GCL, I'm sure they'll get bumped up to Danville and starting going 4-5 innings near the end of the minor league season. Just to add on to what Smootness said, Soroka didn't have a start go over 4 IP last year after being drafted.

CrimsonCowboy
07-11-2016, 06:26 PM
A free evening tonight. I could have either stayed home and watch The Home Run Derby, or go to the M-Braves/Mobile game and see Albies and Whalen for the first time.

Tough call................NOT!

KB21
07-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Allard with 5 Ks through 3 innings tonight, 2 BB, 1 hit, 0 runs.

CrimsonCowboy
07-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Whalen struggling in the first. Allowed a three run homer and is visibly mad on the mound

cajunrevenge
07-11-2016, 07:26 PM

I think they do a lot of conditioning and practice outdoors which can leave them a little tired going into the games. I think they make the pitchers focus mainly on their fastballs both in GCL and Danville as well.

auyushu
07-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Allard with 5 Ks through 3 innings tonight, 2 BB, 1 hit, 0 runs.

Great start for Allard all around 6 IP 7 Ks, 2 BB, 2 hits, no runs. Wonder how long till he gets to go back to Rome

chop2chip
07-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Great start for Allard all around 6 IP 7 Ks, 2 BB, 2 hits, no runs. Wonder how long till he gets to go back to Rome

I hope we let him get some innings under his belt and keep him in Danville the rest of the season. There's no sense to promote a pitcher battling back from injury at the lower levels of the minor this late in the minor league season. The goal should be health. Even if he were to go to Rome and pitch well, he's still going to start next season there.

The same should apply to Fried as well, IMO.

jimsnores
07-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Kolby WOW llard. Hope he continues on this trajectory. I agree with leaving him in Danville, though I wouldn't mind seeing him pitch a game or two in A ball after Danville's season ends.

CrimsonCowboy
07-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Whalen's struggles tonight continue

CJ9
07-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Braxton Davidson is 1-3 with a homer and no strikeouts.

CrimsonCowboy
07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Albies 2-3. Just smashed a RBI double

Coach_Chris
07-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Come on... That's unrealistic. I say he'll give up 1 when he gets to AA or maybe AAA

We do not need that kind of negativity around here.

sturg33
07-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Davidson has the power stroke working

Southcack77
07-11-2016, 08:07 PM
I hope we let him get some innings under his belt and keep him in Danville the rest of the season. There's no sense to promote a pitcher battling back from injury at the lower levels of the minor this late in the minor league season. The goal should be health. Even if he were to go to Rome and pitch well, he's still going to start next season there.

The same should apply to Fried as well, IMO.

I'd move both Allard and Fried up personally. They are both placed pretty conservatively right now, I think.

smootness
07-11-2016, 08:10 PM
I'd move both Allard and Fried up personally. They are both placed pretty conservatively right now, I think.

I agree. I don't really see why pitching in Danville or Rome is better when coming back from injury than Rome or Carolina. What does it really matter? I would like to keep challenging them and to try to kickstart their progression.

zbhargrove
07-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Davidson has the power stroke working

If he finds the big time power he was hyped for in HS, that would be yuge

Southcack77
07-11-2016, 08:12 PM

I wonder what Albies would have to do to reverse the ranking with Swanson. Obviously, Albies is torching AA at a much younger age than Swanson. At what point does that become significant?

jimsnores
07-11-2016, 08:25 PM

Back over .400 in AA. Love to see the success, but part of me wonders what he would be doing if he had stayed up in AAA. I am thinking he'd still be hot and headed toward.300. Even in limited AA at bats, a kid his age (and size) hitting .400 with a little power at this point in a AA season is really, really impressive.

smootness
07-11-2016, 08:33 PM
I wonder what Albies would have to do to reverse the ranking with Swanson. Obviously, Albies is torching AA at a much younger age than Swanson. At what point does that become significant?

It matters, but scouting reports matter as well. I personally believe Swanson is a better defender at SS and will continue to be a better defender at SS than Albies. And I think people also believe that Swanson has a higher floor and more ability for power than Albies.

Personally, I don't really care which one ends up being better. I love both of them, and Albies is about as natural as I've ever seen at just barreling up a baseball.

Southcack77
07-11-2016, 08:42 PM
It matters, but scouting reports matter as well. I personally believe Swanson is a better defender at SS and will continue to be a better defender at SS than Albies. And I think people also believe that Swanson has a higher floor and more ability for power than Albies.

Personally, I don't really care which one ends up being better. I love both of them, and Albies is about as natural as I've ever seen at just barreling up a baseball.

I struggle with the weight they give to position.

Would I rather have Altuve at 2b or Stephen Drew at SS? That seems like an easy choice. Maybe it's not a fair comparison for either player, but it might be.

smootness
07-11-2016, 08:45 PM
I struggle with the weight they give to position.

Would I rather have Altuve at 2b or Stephen Drew at SS? That seems like an easy choice. Maybe it's not a fair comparison for either player, but it might be.

I wasn't giving extra weight to position. I was just saying that I think Swanson is a better defender than Albies.

But you also picked the biggest extremes possible. Would you rather have someone hitting like Jeter at SS or 2B, given the choice? Doesn't matter that much, but I'll take him at SS if he can still play it well defensively.

Southcack77
07-11-2016, 08:54 PM
I wasn't giving extra weight to position. I was just saying that I think Swanson is a better defender than Albies.

But you also picked the biggest extremes possible. Would you rather have someone hitting like Jeter at SS or 2B, given the choice? Doesn't matter that much, but I'll take him at SS if he can still play it well defensively.

I was shooting for something like .280 and 10 hrs with pretty good defense at SS (basically a slightly above average SS) as opposed to an all star playing decent defense at 2b.

That's sort of the hypo I am building. Maybe Stephen Drew wasn't the right number profile. Did that off the top of my head and was thinking more about his best years.

Not saying this is how it ends up.

smootness
07-11-2016, 08:56 PM
I was shooting for something like .280 and 10 hrs with pretty good defense at SS (basically a slightly above average SS) as opposed to an all star playing decent defense at 2b.

That's sort of the hypo I am building. Maybe Stephen Drew wasn't the right number profile. Did that off the top of my head and was thinking more about his best years.

Not saying this is how it ends up.

Well, no. I'll take the All-Star no matter where he lines up. Position matters, but it doesn't matter that much.

And you picked Altuve, who is not just 'an All-Star' at 2B...he's arguably the best player in baseball so far this year. Guys who hit like him are super valuable at any position, including 1B or DH.

CrimsonCowboy
07-11-2016, 10:35 PM
A summary of tonight's M-Braves/Mobile game tonight in the Port City:

It was not a great showing by the M-Braves. Four errors, two wild pitches, and a passed ball. Can't imagine the Mississippi coaches were thrilled by tonight's showing.

Rob Whalen: He was just off tonight. A big problem he had was not finishing off hitters after two strikes. He also seemed to let his frustration get to him. He especially showed it after giving up a home run in the first inning. Also hit a batter and walked a batter with the bases loaded.

Ozzie Albies: My first chance to see him. And I was impressed. He is a spark plug. His double down the RF line was a smash and he flies around the bases. After the double, he tagged up on a fly to center, then scored as the throw got passed the third baseman for Mobile. He immediately took off after the ball got away and slid in ahead of the tag at home. Just great baserunning. Reminded me a bit of Inciarte a few weeks ago against the Mets. Made me go Wow!

Levi Hyams: Had himself a good game. Doubled twice, including going the other way on the second one.

Williams Astudillo: Good game for him at the plate. Ground rule double and later homered to left.

Dansby Swanson: Did not play tonight. Did see him in the dugout. I'm sure given a break after this past weekend playing in the Futures Game and the long flight from San Diego to Mobile.

Enscheff
07-11-2016, 10:53 PM

Albies will definitely cool off at some point, and I think Swanson is going to steadily improve all year.

They are definitely 1A and 1B, and I wouldn't argue with anyone that put Albies as the A slightly ahead of Swanson.

chop2chip
07-12-2016, 10:08 AM
I agree. I don't really see why pitching in Danville or Rome is better when coming back from injury than Rome or Carolina. What does it really matter? I would like to keep challenging them and to try to kickstart their progression.
IMO, the worst thing you can do coming back from injury is to overthrow / over do it. In a lesser league, success is more assure and the temptation isn't as strong to over do it and I think that's more important than getting a couple extra weeks at a higher level.

smootness
07-12-2016, 10:21 AM
IMO, the worst thing you can do coming back from injury is to overthrow / over do it. In a lesser league, success is more assure and the temptation isn't as strong to over do it and I think that's more important than getting a couple extra weeks at a higher level.

Maybe. I just don't think it matters much, if any.

Southcack77
07-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Well, no. I'll take the All-Star no matter where he lines up. Position matters, but it doesn't matter that much.

And you picked Altuve, who is not just 'an All-Star' at 2B...he's arguably the best player in baseball so far this year. Guys who hit like him are super valuable at any position, including 1B or DH.

That's fair. Maybe Altuve average stats in first three seasons was more what I was picturing. All star, not MVP.

Still I made a pretty easy hypo in effort to suggest Albies may well be a better hitter than Swanson. Probably not fair.