Kennedy 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Matos 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Didder 1-3
McLemore 2-4
Riley 1-4

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Yankees 6, GCL Braves 3

LP: Rangel (1-1) 4 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Guardado 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K (2016 debut)
Vega 2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR
Perez 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Rodriguez 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

D. Cruz 3-4, R, BB (.355)
Concepcion 2-4, 2B, RBI
Pache 2-4, 3B, R
Pokorney 1-3

--------------

DSL Tigers 10, DSL Braves 7

SP: Javier 1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 K
Abreu 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
LP: Gil (1-1) 4 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
Javier faced four batters in 2nd

Lopez 2-5. 2B, R, 2 RBI
Centeno 1-5, 2B, R, 3 RBI
Morales 2-4, 2B, R, BB

--------------

Danville, idle

CJ9
07-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Ian Anderson debuts for the GCL team tomorrow.

clvclv
07-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Didder and Salazar better start stepping it up - those are Cruz' footsteps they hear.

Deester11
07-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Didder and Salazar better start stepping it up - those are Cruz' footsteps they hear.

Going back to Cruz's scouting report....I'd have to agree. I hope to get to see them next week. It's the first year I haven't been out to the complex. Here are a couple of snippets about Cruz from last year:

“Cruz is an explosive athlete with plus-plus speed, with scouts projecting him to be an 80 runner as he gets stronger. He’s 6 feet, 165 pounds and will need to refine some things at the plate but he’s a switch-hitter who has shown solid contact skills. Cruz trains with Javier Rodriguez and Rudy Santin and has played in the International Prospect League.” - Badler

Among the high-profile prospects on the market, Cruz is the best athlete in this year’s class. He’s an explosive player who was a plus runner at 14 and now has 70 speed on the 20-80 scale. With his gliding stride and strength projection, some scouts project Cruz as a future 80 runner and he should be a prolific basestealing force. Cruz has good bat speed, strong forearms and gap power now, with the potential to hit 8-12 home runs in his prime. He’s a switch-hitter and some scouts liked his hitting potential, though there’s some crudeness to his swing from both sides. He’s more advanced and has better barrel control from the right side, where he gets long at times but has a workable swing path and a line-drive approach. - BA

I'm squarely on the Cruz train even though it's early.

50PoundHead
07-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Cruz will probably hit Danville in a few weeks if this keeps up. I don't think Rome is in the forecast. My guess is Salazar gets every AB in Rome for the rest of the year. Curious to see what they do with Didder when Acuna returns.

But with all these middle infielders, someone is going to have to move and we do have a shortage of OF prospects.

CJ9
07-12-2016, 12:00 PM
GCL game just ended.

Derian Cruz: 3-4 (all singles) with his first walk of the year.

Cristian Pache: 2-4 with a triple.

Tapate50
07-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Going back to Cruz's scouting report....I'd have to agree. I hope to get to see them next week. It's the first year I haven't been out to the complex. Here are a couple of snippets about Cruz from last year:

“Cruz is an explosive athlete with plus-plus speed, with scouts projecting him to be an 80 runner as he gets stronger. He’s 6 feet, 165 pounds and will need to refine some things at the plate but he’s a switch-hitter who has shown solid contact skills. Cruz trains with Javier Rodriguez and Rudy Santin and has played in the International Prospect League.” - Badler

Among the high-profile prospects on the market, Cruz is the best athlete in this year’s class. He’s an explosive player who was a plus runner at 14 and now has 70 speed on the 20-80 scale. With his gliding stride and strength projection, some scouts project Cruz as a future 80 runner and he should be a prolific basestealing force. Cruz has good bat speed, strong forearms and gap power now, with the potential to hit 8-12 home runs in his prime. He’s a switch-hitter and some scouts liked his hitting potential, though there’s some crudeness to his swing from both sides. He’s more advanced and has better barrel control from the right side, where he gets long at times but has a workable swing path and a line-drive approach. - BA

I'm squarely on the Cruz train even though it's early.

ALL ABOARD!!!! Woot wooooot!!!!

Pachoo
07-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Man, I hope our new batch of international signees ball out as much as last year's crop has been.

Garmel
07-12-2016, 07:31 PM
So far Sims is throwing strikes.

Preacher
07-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Sanchez was cruising until the 4th where the wheels fell off.

He wasn't helped by a terrible call on a foul ball that was ruled fair by blind umpire - that extended the inning and brought in two.

zbhargrove
07-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Really excited about Cruz... I just hope in his development he learns to take a walk with that electric speed he has. Love to see him be a higher OBP guy with the slight power pop.

50PoundHead
07-12-2016, 08:14 PM
Sanchez was cruising until the 4th where the wheels fell off.

He wasn't helped by a terrible call on a foul ball that was ruled fair by blind umpire - that extended the inning and brought in two.

This guy?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/14/d9/92/14d992e3bba0bdd136e27e141a493f83.jpg

zbhargrove
07-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Seem to remember something about this, but is Juan Yepez injured?

nsacpi
07-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Dustin Peterson with a single and a double.

CJ9
07-12-2016, 08:53 PM
AJ Minter gets a ground out, then a strikeout but the batter reaches as the ball gets away. He then strikes out the next two.

CJ9
07-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Seem to remember something about this, but is Juan Yepez injured?

Yeah he's hurt. During the Ask Coppy thing on June 24, he said Acuna and Yepez were 4-6 weeks away from returning.

msstate7
07-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Minter -- 1.0 ip 0 h 0 er 0 bb 3 k

Hudson2
07-12-2016, 08:55 PM
Where has Cumberland been?

rico43
07-12-2016, 09:17 PM

He's played in 10 games for Danville since June 30; how much is he supposed to play?

zbhargrove
07-12-2016, 09:22 PM

His team is idle today... but he has struggled quite a bit to start his career... .393 OPS and 15 K's in 39 at bats... he's in yesterday's thread when he played.

jimsnores
07-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Good days for Albies and Sims.

Hudson2
07-12-2016, 09:50 PM
He's played in 10 games for Danville since June 30; how much is he supposed to play?

Guess I just missed it.

Tapate50
07-13-2016, 05:16 AM
Anyone seen Minter? What he's doing is sick. I'm assuming he has legit closer stuff?

smootness
07-13-2016, 08:56 AM
I think people need to slow down a tad on Cumberland. He's got a potentially good bat, but apparently there are some questions on his power...and I'm just not sure what his ceiling is. I think his most likely outcome is about a AAAA catcher.

sturg33
07-13-2016, 08:58 AM
I think people need to slow down a tad on Cumberland. He's got a potentially good bat, but apparently there are some questions on his power...and I'm just not sure what his ceiling is. I think his most likely outcome is about a AAAA catcher.

I think it's a product of - we're so desperate for hitting prospects that we're squinting really hard and raising expectations on any new toy we get

Preacher
07-13-2016, 10:00 AM
I think it's a product of - we're so desperate for hitting prospects that we're squinting really hard and raising expectations on any new toy we get

I don't think people need to squint to see Cumberland as a legit prospect with offensive potential.

He was ranked highly by most scouting services, hit 16 bombs at UCLA and was the conference POTY. Who knows if it'll translate, but there's certainly reasons to be excited about him.

He's scuffling a little bit right now, but its an extreme SSS.

zbhargrove
07-13-2016, 10:45 AM

Slow down? I didn't see anyone "speeding up" about him. Someone just asked where he's been and we simply replied he's been playing and struggling. Who needs to slow down here?

zbhargrove
07-13-2016, 10:50 AM

Also most scouting reports had him as a first day pick with a plus or plus plus power tool so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Power is definitely supposed to be his strong suit. He almost won the conference triple crown, was a 3rd team all American and hit 16 bombs in a park that's a notorious pitchers park. I seriously doubt the Braves took him in the 3rd round with the hope he could be a AAAA player and the scouting reports certainly don't agree that that's his likely outcome if everything clicks.

http://www.scout.com/college/california/story/1677151-mlb-draft-scouting-report-brett-cumberland

That's just one link with many other reports nearly identical.

EDIT: SECOND round

auyushu
07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
I seriously doubt the Braves took him in the 3rd round with the hope he could be a AAAA player and the scouting reports certainly don't agree that that's his likely outcome if everything clicks.

Yeah, there are major questions about his defensive ability to stick at catcher from scouting reports, but not about the bat.

rico43
07-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Anyone seen Minter? What he's doing is sick. I'm assuming he has legit closer stuff?

His stuff is big league. He's just thrown so little in the last two years. He's already moved two levels this year and could easily move up again. No doubt he's in big league camp next spring.

bravesfanMatt
07-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Interesting blurb on the Talking Chop recap of last nights game..

"Lucas knew he had a mechanical issue nearly immediately when he was in Gwinnett but couldn’t pinpoint it. With the large amounts of managerial moves including Snitker to Atlanta, Rick Albert to Gwinnett, etc. Sims found himself in Gwinnett with a pitching coach that didn’t have previous working knowledge of Sims. As a result he continued to go out there every 5 days with the same issue. Once the smoke settled Lucas was sent down to Mississippi to be reunited with pitching coach Dennis Lewallyn and the results have been quite different. Lucas gave up 1 extra base-hit over 6.2 innings and had 2 walks - the first time he’s had under 3 since May 9th. A visit from an old coach may have helped save Sims’ season."

That really makes sense!!

cajunrevenge
07-13-2016, 05:30 PM
This Minter fella is something.