PDA

View Full Version : 7/16 SATURDAY MINORS FINAL: GCL No-Hitter!

rico43
07-16-2016, 12:47 AM
Wentz part of no-hitter

with Hector Olivera's four hits (inclding a homer) sparking the way, the GCL Braves enjoyed a no-hit, no-run win Saturday, 14-0 over the Yankees West. Wentz struck out six in his three hitless innings, but the win went to the third of four pitchers. Oldavi Javier (2-0), a 19-year-old free agent out of Puerto Rico in his second year with the organization, got the win with four hitless innings. He hit a pair of Yankees hitters, who were the only baserunners.

Third baseman Alex Aquino also had a grand slam homer for the Braves.

SATURDAY'S MINOR LEAGUE RESULTS

CLASS AAA

Scranton/WB 6, Gwinnett 5

LP: Blair (3-3) 6.2 IP, 10 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
Cunniff 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Ramirez 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Bonifacio 2-4, 2B, RBI
Lalli 3-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
Kottaras 1-3, 2B, 2 R, BB
Lipka 2-4, R

CLASS AA

Mississippi 5, Jackson 4

SP: Banuelos 4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
WP: Phillips (1-1) 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Hursh (Save, 2) 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Camargo 2-3, 3 RBI
Astudillo 2-4, 2B, 2 R
Meneses 2-3, R, RBI
Swanson 1-4, 2B
Albies 0-3, BB

ADVANCED CLASS A

Frederick @ Carolina (37-54), ppd.

CLASS A

Columbia 4, Rome 0

LP: Toussaint (2-6) 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
Kennedy 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
G.Jones 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Ellison 1-3
(Only hit)

SHORT-SEASON

GCL Braves 14, GCL Yankees 0

SP: Wentz 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K
Guardado 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
WP: Javier (2-0) 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP (only baserunners!)
Schlosser 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Olivera 4-5, 2B, HR (1st), 3 R, 3 RBI
Cruz 0-5
Ventura 0-5, R, RBI
Pache 3-5, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI
Aquino 2-4, HR (1st), 4 RBI
Concepcion 1-3, 2 R, BB

--------------------

Bristol 6, Danville 5

LP: Gamez (2-3) 4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 1 K
Hyssong 1.2 IP, 2 H, o R, 0 BB, 2 K
Carroll 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Cumberland 1-3, HR (1st) 4 RBI, SF
Keller 1-4, R, RBI
James 2-4, 2B, (.344)
Gonzalez 2-4

-------------------

DSL Braves, idle

blueagleace1
07-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Hector with a 2-run HR in the 1st and single in his next AB.

Currently 2-2

UNCBlue012
07-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Hector hits everywhere but the ML... Lol

nsacpi
07-16-2016, 10:04 AM
extent ho

msstate7
07-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Why not move Olivera to AAA?

IslandBrave
07-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Why not move Olivera to AAA?

He's going on Tuesday.

smootness
07-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Wentz keeps doing his thing. 3 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 6 K.

Now at 12 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 18 K overall.

msstate7
07-16-2016, 10:20 AM
He's going on Tuesday.

Cool. I'm not crazy about him, but we need to find out if he can play

Julio3000
07-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Hector with a 2-run HR in the 1st and single in his next AB.

Currently 2-2

He's shown the ability to hit weaker competition.

msstate7
07-16-2016, 10:21 AM

So when do we stretch him out some?

smootness
07-16-2016, 10:23 AM
So when do we stretch him out some?

We may stretch him out to 4 IP before shutting him down, but we probably won't do any more than that. No real reason to.

Jay2033
07-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Joey Wentz is pretty dagum good! I thought he was the best pitcher in the draft and he has done nothing but pitch above even my expectations wow!

3IP, 0H, 0R/ER, 0BB, 6K

msstate7
07-16-2016, 10:25 AM
We may stretch him out to 4 IP before shutting him down, but we probably won't do any more than that. No real reason to.

Just seems he isn't being challenged at all. I'd like to see him challenged a little before we shut him down this year

smootness
07-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Just seems he isn't being challenged at all. I'd like to see him challenged a little before we shut him down this year

I don't think this year is about challenging him. I think it's just getting him used to pro ball, getting him used to pitching every 5th day, and preparing him to start in A ball next year.

I do think we'll probably promote him to Danville soon.

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Schlosser completes the no-no as the GCL Braves cruise to a 14-0 win. Only two baserunners for the Yankees resulted from Odalvi Javier hitting two guys.

Julio3000
07-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Schlosser completes the no-no as the GCL Braves cruise to a 14-0 win. Only two baserunners for the Yankees resulted from Odalvi Javier hitting two guys.

At least he hits guys.

clvclv
07-16-2016, 11:46 AM

Shoulda drafted a hitter instead - who needs young Pitchers???

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 11:50 AM
At least he hits guys.

I guess we can be happy Olivera isn't a pitcher.

DaneHill
07-16-2016, 12:57 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Wentz have to go through a line-up two or three times, and see how that works for him.

auyushu
07-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Shoulda drafted a hitter instead - who needs young Pitchers???

Tell me, who on this board complained about drafting Wentz or Muller? Because I can't think of anyone.

zbhargrove
07-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Hector hits everywhere but the ML... Lol

Actually he didn't really ever hit that well in our minor league system.

DaneHill
07-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Tell me, who on this board complained about drafting Wentz or Muller? Because I can't think of anyone.

I'll admit, I complained about the Wentz pick....because he was committed to Virginia! :mad:

auyushu
07-16-2016, 06:22 PM
I'll admit, I complained about the Wentz pick....because he was committed to Virginia! :mad:

Hah, well outside of college interests anyway. Kinda the same for me with Anthony and Auburn I guess, though I considered it more of a win win no matter where he wound up going.

I don't remember anyone complaining about picking either in terms of value though.

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 06:41 PM

I seem to remember some discontent not so much with the individuals taken, but with the decision to forego choosing Kyle Lewis and the decision to load up on more pitching instead. I can't recall specific individuals who complained, but there were some.

mfree80
07-16-2016, 06:47 PM
I seem to remember some discontent not so much with the individuals taken, but with the decision to forego choosing Kyle Lewis and the decision to load up on more pitching instead. I can't recall specific individuals who complained, but there were some.

Yeah: It wasn't specifically Wentz and/or Muller. It was three pitchers and no hitters.

auyushu
07-16-2016, 06:59 PM

Well yeah, there were many people who would have rather have seen us go after Lewis rather than Anderson, but that has nothing to do with Wentz and Muller. We could have gotten those two and swapped Lewis for Anderson rather easily. Just seems like a weird strawman argument to act like anyone complained about signing Wentz and Muller, there were literally no bats worth drafting there in those spots that dropped without reaching a bit. There were lots of people that complained about going with Anderson, but I don't remember complaining about Wentz and Muller.

IslandBrave
07-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Cumberland just hit a Bomb!!

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Well yeah, there were many people who would have rather have seen us go after Lewis rather than Anderson, but that has nothing to do with Wentz and Muller. We could have gotten those two and swapped Lewis for Anderson rather easily. Just seems like a weird strawman argument to act like anyone complained about signing Wentz and Muller, there were literally no bats worth drafting there in those spots that dropped without reaching a bit. There were lots of people that complained about going with Anderson, but I don't remember complaining about Wentz and Muller.

I think there was also concern that Wentz and Muller were going to blow the budget because we had to go overslot to sign them. I just remember that there was complaining. Again, much of the complaining dealt with the decision on Anderson over Lewis, but there was also the complaint about pitching over hitting. I think that was what clvclv was saying.

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 07:19 PM
John Camargo with two singles and 3 RBIs tonight. He's been hitting at about a .400 clip over the last ten games. I know others in here don't like him as much as I do, but I think he can at least be a usable utility guy or perhaps a trade chip going forward.

auyushu
07-16-2016, 07:25 PM
I think there was also concern that Wentz and Muller were going to blow the budget because we had to go overslot to sign them.

Going overslot at 40 and 44 was like the entire plan for the draft, that would be a fairly crazy complaint (not saying it couldn't happen on message boards mind you). Could be what clv was going for there, but like I said, I don't remember anyone complaining about that. Sturg, striker and a few others went off endlessly about Anderson, but I don't remember any major complaints about those two.

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Going overslot at 40 and 44 was like the entire plan for the draft, that would be a fairly crazy complaint (not saying it couldn't happen on message boards mind you). Could be what clv was going for there, but like I said, I don't remember anyone complaining about that. Sturg, striker and a few others went off endlessly about Anderson, but I don't remember any major complaints about those two.

Which is why I couldn't understand the complaints. After the first three picks, it was obvious what the strategy was

SJ24
07-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Cumberland just hit a Bomb!!

It went about 370 feet to far right.

He tattooed a liner to first in his first AB, too.

auyushu
07-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Which is why I couldn't understand the complaints.

I understand the complaints as far as Anderson versus Lewis or Groome, and I can understand complaining about the Harrington pick as it was a bit odd (particularly with a potential upside bat in Heath Quinn sitting there). But other than that, yeah the complaints wouldn't make a ton of sense.

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 07:49 PM
I understand the complaints as far as Anderson versus Lewis or Groome, and I can understand complaining about the Harrington pick as it was a bit odd (particularly with a potential upside bat in Heath Quinn sitting there). But other than that, yeah the complaints wouldn't make a ton of sense.

For the record, the Harrington and Wilson picks puzzled me a bit, especially Harrington.

msstate7
07-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Blair...
6.2 ip 10 h 6 er 4 bb 6 k

How worried are you guys about Blair?

Garmel
07-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Blair...
6.2 ip 10 h 6 er 4 bb 6 k

His problems are all mechanics. I think he'll be fine.

clvclv
07-16-2016, 09:24 PM

It's been a constant theme - "why do they keep adding Pitchers?"

If you haven't picked that up, you've been reading a different message board.

auyushu
07-16-2016, 10:00 PM
It's been a constant theme - "why do they keep adding Pitchers?"

The only thing I've seen consistently is a worry about where the bats are going to come from. I think most people are fine with adding high upside arms, we'd just like to see some decent high upside bats mixed in as well. Not sure why that's some questionable point of view, balance is key to a successful team. People have been grumpy the last two drafts about things being pitching heavy sure, which is understandable when we've had the worst offense in baseball two years running. But like I said, once we got to picks 40 and 44 and no bats had dropped to us, I don't remember anyone complaining about drafting Wentz and Muller. So not sure why you are trying to use their stats as some sort of gotcha.

auyushu
07-16-2016, 10:05 PM
For the record, the Harrington and Wilson picks puzzled me a bit, especially Harrington.

Wilson was just surprising to me since it cost so much to sign him. He does at least profile as a high leverage reliever long term, so I think it's decent value in the third round even if he never develops a third pitch. Harrington just didn't make sense to me at all, back of the rotation guy or decent reliever stuff with a 2nd round pick is the opposite of an upside play. Particularly with a nice boom/bust corner OF guy like Quinn sitting there.

auyushu
07-16-2016, 10:08 PM

Blair mentioned that he had mechanical issues when he went down the first time, so I think Garmel is completely right about what is wrong. My only slight worry right now would be what is going at AAA at the moment. Sims had to bounce down to AA to get fixed mechanically, and Blair is continuing to get slaughtered at AAA, so while I have no clue about any of the coaches at AAA I'm kinda curious about what is going on there.

Julio3000
07-16-2016, 10:14 PM
John Camargo with two singles and 3 RBIs tonight. He's been hitting at about a .400 clip over the last ten games. I know others in here don't like him as much as I do, but I think he can at least be a usable utility guy or perhaps a trade chip going forward.

I like Camargo. I think he could be a big leaguer, albeit probably not with us.

Buzzworm
07-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Gonzo just hits.I think the kid will end up being a steal from this draft.He's just a hitting machine.Blackman was the same way at GT.underated..

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 11:37 PM
Wilson was just surprising to me since it cost so much to sign him. He does at least profile as a high leverage reliever long term, so I think it's decent value in the third round even if he never develops a third pitch. Harrington just didn't make sense to me at all, back of the rotation guy or decent reliever stuff with a 2nd round pick is the opposite of an upside play. Particularly with a nice boom/bust corner OF guy like Quinn sitting there.

I figured they would have to go overslot for Wilson, but I never thought it would be a half a mil. Lot of dough.

50PoundHead
07-16-2016, 11:41 PM
I like Camargo. I think he could be a big leaguer, albeit probably not with us.

I'm halfway around the bend on this, but I'd release Aybar tomorrow and audition Camargo at SS with the big club for the rest of the season. I know many don't agree with me, but he's a better long-term prospect than Castro so he'll likely have to go on the 40-man over the winter. Neither Swanson nor Albies have to go on the 40-man (although they will likely have to go on at the end of spring training in 2017). At the very least, Camargo could build up some value as a possible trade chip.

striker42
07-17-2016, 07:36 AM
I've about given up on Banuelos at this point. He's nothing more than a fringy prospect now.

bravesfanMatt
07-17-2016, 08:47 AM
I've about given up on Banuelos at this point. He's nothing more than a fringy prospect now.

I know it is AA. But he had a better start. I am seriously wondering about our pitching coach in AAA. Like the other poster said, no one can work out issues up there. Sims, Blair, ManBan, Ellis have all struggled to get back on track in AAA. This needs to be addressed.

Southcack77
07-17-2016, 09:44 AM
I know it is AA. But he had a better start. I am seriously wondering about our pitching coach in AAA. Like the other poster said, no one can work out issues up there. Sims, Blair, ManBan, Ellis have all struggled to get back on track in AAA. This needs to be addressed.

I don't think it was all that good a start -- whip over 2. Down a level. Yikes. Needs to be converted to reliever perhaps.

rico43
07-17-2016, 04:31 PM

This is very valid. Original AAA pitching coach, Marty Reed, moved to ATL with Snitker, but Jose Alvarez has been in the system for years.