PDA

View Full Version : Garcia/Uggla in Gwinnett

tvsportscaster
08-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Tonight in Gwinnett, Freddy Garcia is making his first start for the Braves and Dan Uggla is making his first rehab.
So far, so bad... Garcia got shelled, he's out of the game after giving him 8 earned runs and 8 hits in 3 and 2/3 innings.
Dan Uggla is 0 for 2 so far, with 1 strikeout.

Garmel
08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
LOL! Sounds like they're ready to join the club.

skillet
08-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Not surprising at all about Garcia. He is awful and should have never been claimed. Uggla on the other hand, at least there is a chance there could be some improvement from the surgery.

BlackwaterPark
08-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Garcia will never see the Atlanta team

Carp
08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Not that I expect some sort of huge change from the Uggla we've come to know, but it will take Uggs a week or so to get back in the swing of things, so to speak.

Julio3000
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
He will probably be the same ol' Owl, but he's capable of hitting the ball for more cumulative distance in one game than Janish and Johnson the Lesser have in two weeks.

Bdawg2309
08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
i'm interested in seeing who the september call ups will be.

Braves1976
08-26-2013, 08:32 PM
i'm interested in seeing who the september call ups will be.

Me too, I sure hope we see Poveda and Obispo, I think Hale is a given due to his 40-man roster status. I'd hate to not see Poveda because Fredi wants another "veteran" instead, Garcia in this case.

rico43
08-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Me too, I sure hope we see Poveda and Obispo, I think Hale is a given due to his 40-man roster status. I'd hate to not see Poveda because Fredi wants another "veteran" instead, Garcia in this case.

Go obvious 40-man and take it from there: Constanza, Gosselin, Flande, maybe Hale, maybe Mejia. Leonard? I doubt Poveda and Obispo, maybe one.

Braves1976
08-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Go obvious 40-man and take it from there: Constanza, Gosselin, Flande, maybe Hale, maybe Mejia. Leonard? I doubt Poveda and Obispo, maybe one.

I agree as far as obvious 40-man, that's why I mentioned Hale. Constanza, Gosselin and Mejia are also on the 40-man so they'd be candidates too. I am not sure why you mention Flande though, unless you were thinking he was on the 40-man? I don't see any shot for him regardless.

As far as Poveda and Obispo, I expect Obispo is the more likely of the two. I actually like his chances. I am more hoping in the case of Poveda, though I won't be surprised if Garcia or some other "veteran" gets a spot instead.

bravesfan247
08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
I think Biemel will get called up as well.

jdunn
08-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Uggla goes 0-3, with 2 K's and hit into a DP. 3 at bats, 4 outs. As I told someone earlier this week, when your season is dependent upon Uggla coming back and hitting .250 it is hard to be excited.

gilesfan
08-27-2013, 09:01 AM
but, but he can see!

conalthomas
08-27-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm not saying Uggla will come back after his surgery and start hitting really well, or even like he did 3 or 4 years ago, but it is absolutely meaningless to read anything into three at bats in the minors at the start of a rehab assignment.

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Surely it can't be because he hasn't faced live pitching in two weeks...

50PoundHead
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
but, but he can see!

I heard he has discarded the white cane.

I doubt Poveda will be with the club in September and I don't know why he would be. I doubt that Garcia will be up even more. I think Obispo has a shot because Fredi raved him up in spring training and he's been pitching well pretty much all season. I think Hale could find his way into Atlanta as well and he's on the 40-man roster. There are 40-man roster issues, but there are a couple of guys who could be transferred to the 60-day DL to accommodate some short-term adjustments. Problem is anyone put on the 40-man who is removed when the guys on the 60-day DL are re-instated after the season are put on waivers, so unless there's a bunch of spots that open up due to free agency, you've got a bit of a problem.

Julio3000
08-27-2013, 10:14 AM
but, but he can see!

Better than ever.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/ugglacopy_zps718778e6.jpg

zitothebrave
08-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I heard he has discarded the white cane.

I doubt Poveda will be with the club in September and I don't know why he would be. I doubt that Garcia will be up even more. I think Obispo has a shot because Fredi raved him up in spring training and he's been pitching well pretty much all season. I think Hale could find his way into Atlanta as well and he's on the 40-man roster. There are 40-man roster issues, but there are a couple of guys who could be transferred to the 60-day DL to accommodate some short-term adjustments. Problem is anyone put on the 40-man who is removed when the guys on the 60-day DL are re-instated after the season are put on waivers, so unless there's a bunch of spots that open up due to free agency, you've got a bit of a problem.

Well 2 of the potential 60 day DL guys are FA. I say potential because Huddy is still on the 15 day DL. Not sure who else you'd plan on putting on the 60 day DL. Pastor I guess? Who knows with Beachy. Also depending on cost another 60 day DL guy (Venters) is a non-tender candidate. We also have a slew of FA as well, already mentioned 2, plus, Mac, Maholm, Ayala, and Downs. Plus to be honest some of those guys we can probably get off the 40 man now. Unless we move Schafer or Cunningham we don't need Constanza anymore. Elliot Johnson absolutely should be non-tendered. He will be hitting arb and he's not worth a penny more than 500K. Only reason we picked him up is he is borderline better than Janish. With Pastor back he makes Johnson entirely redundant.

50PoundHead
08-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Well 2 of the potential 60 day DL guys are FA. I say potential because Huddy is still on the 15 day DL. Not sure who else you'd plan on putting on the 60 day DL. Pastor I guess? Who knows with Beachy. Also depending on cost another 60 day DL guy (Venters) is a non-tender candidate. We also have a slew of FA as well, already mentioned 2, plus, Mac, Maholm, Ayala, and Downs. Plus to be honest some of those guys we can probably get off the 40 man now. Unless we move Schafer or Cunningham we don't need Constanza anymore. Elliot Johnson absolutely should be non-tendered. He will be hitting arb and he's not worth a penny more than 500K. Only reason we picked him up is he is borderline better than Janish. With Pastor back he makes Johnson entirely redundant.

There are candidates. I'm just saying I wouldn't put anyone on the 40-man who will have to be waived later. I agree that Constanza and Eliot Johnson should simply be gone. The question on Venters and O'Flaherty is that if either of them are re-signed, they will take up a spot on the 40-man roster when re-signed. I guess I don't know what the brain trust is thinking because there will also be a few guys who will warrant being put on the 40-man roster or be eligible for the Rule 5 draft. I think that's why the decisions are less straightforward than some would conjecture.

bravebonebook
08-27-2013, 02:04 PM
You know, baseball karma alone says something good should happen to the Braves now. We cannot keep getting slammed around like this. Maybe Uggla returning and hitting like he should be capable of would be the payback for the crap this team has gotten over the past few weeks! (Plus Heyward returning at least by the playoffs ready to go and Beachy able to pitch without needing more surgery would be 'fair' in the grand scheme)!!

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Agreed. If not, my suspicions will be confirmed that in addition to being a major tool belt, Bryce Harper practices voodoo.

Runnin
08-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Uggla went 2-4 with a HR and a single in probably his last game in Gwinnett.

The Owl is locking in folks. Lookout! :emot-siren.gif.17:

The Chosen One
08-28-2013, 01:02 AM

Narrowing down the tunnel vision.

Julio3000
08-28-2013, 07:57 AM

2-7, HR, 4 K. Two true outcomes initialized. Just need the walks to come online and Owl 2.0 will be ready to install.

BlackwaterPark
08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/aocDMZX.png

Julio3000
08-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Outstanding.

50PoundHead
08-28-2013, 09:05 AM

I really envy you kids and your Photoshop (or whatever it is) abilities.

Let's hope Uggla does not maintain his status as the Whiffinator.

stpeteirish
08-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Really think it makes sense to give Uggla a few more AB's before activating him, but I know they won't.

Since the rosters expand in four days I'd option someone (Cunningham?) rather than DFAing Eliot J, who would be a handy guy to have in Sept because of his speed.

The guy you option can come right back when the rosters expand, if you DFA someone you might lose him.

gilesfan
09-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Anyone have Uggla's numbers now that he can see?

Runnin
09-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Anyone have Uggla's numbers now that he can see?
He's hitting a significantly more vivid .166. 4 for 24 with 6 SOs and 7 BBs.

The only players on the team with lower batting averages are pitchers and Medlen and Teheran are still out-hitting him.

Tapate50
09-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Somehow I missed this. FAN DAM TASTIC work.

Dalyn
09-05-2013, 03:12 PM
He's hitting a significantly more vivid .166. 4 for 24 with 6 SOs and 7 BBs.

The only players on the team with lower batting averages are pitchers and Medlen and Teheran are still out-hitting him.

Don't blame him. Baseballs look as big as baseballs to him right now. Hard not to swing.