PDA

View Full Version : 8/14 MINORS SUNDAY FINAL: Fried Back, Teheran rehabs

rico43
08-13-2016, 11:58 PM
THIS FROM MiLB.com:

Early struggles for Kolby Allard forced him to take a step back and find his touch again at a lower level. But some advice from his father, Kenny, has helped guide him back to where he should be.
The fourth-ranked Braves prospect, pitching on his 19th birthday, turned in his first scoreless outing at the Class A level in Rome's 7-2 win over Hickory on Saturday at L.P. Frans Stadium. He yielded four hits and two walks while striking out nine over six innings in his fifth start since returning to the South Atlantic League on July 20.

"I established my fastball early and my changeup was working today to complement my fastball well," the left-hander said. "Everything just kind of fell in place. I threw the ball well and [Jonathan] Morales did a good job behind the plate, and it helped the team get the win. And that's the ultmate goal."

The 2015 first-round pick worked around some early trouble with a pickoff in each of the first two innings.

"It's always good when you can get some almost free outs, when you don't have to throw at the hitter," he said. "I know that's one of the parts of my game that I've been trying to improve on, so it's good to see that pay off a little bit in a game situation."

The third presented the biggest threat to Allard as singles by Ti'Quan Forbes, Sherman Lacrus and Rangers No. 9 prospect Eric Jenkins loaded the bases with one out. MLB.com's No. 69 overall prospect struck out Frandy De La Rose and Carlos Arroyo to escape unscathed.

"Whenever there are runners in scoring positions, you just have to tell yourself to take a deep breath and bear down. And that's what I did in those situations," Allard said. "I made some good pitches and eventually got out of it, and that got me into a groove a little bit."

"I went down to Danville and threw the ball pretty well," he said. "And when you are throwing up zeros, even though that stuff is not in your control, you can force their hand a litlte bit. Ever since I've kind of gotten that little groove of pitching every five days, I've improve and improved. And, hopefully, now we can keep it rolling."

While Allard kept Crawdads silent, his batterymate, Morales went 5-for-5.

"He played hell of a game," Allard said. "He did a great job behind the dish, calling pitches, and obviously had himself a day at the plate, so hat's off to him."

----------------

SUNDAY'S MINOR LEAGUE SCHEDULE

CLASS AAA

Louisville 9, Gwinnett 4

SP: Teheran 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER(2R), 0 BB, 5 K
Portuondo 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
Moran 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Mateo 1 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Lalli 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Lipka 1-3, 2B, 2 OF assists
Bonifacion 2-4, R, RBI
Kubitza 1-3, 2B, R, RBI, BB
Brignac 2-2, 2B, R
Ruiz 0-5

CLASS AA

Mississippi 6, Jacksonville 2

WP: Bradley (7-5) 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K
Pfeifer 0.1 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Phillips (Save, 2) 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K

Peterson 2-5, 2 HR (10th,11th), 5 RBI
Albies 2-5, R, RBI
Swason 1-5, R
Odom 2-4
Lien 2-4, R, BB

ADVANCED CLASS A

Carolina 8, Myrtle Beach 6
Led 8-0; 8-run 4th

WP: Withrow (7-6) 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K
Salazar 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
O'Neal 0-2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Quintana (Save, 1) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K

Obregon 3-4, 3B, R, RBI, BB
Demeritte 0-2, R, 3 BB, 2 K
Davidson 1-5, R, RBI, 4 K
Moss 2-4, R, 2 RBI
Gebhart 2-5, R, 2 RBI

CLASS A

Hickory 6, Rome 1

LP: Fried (7-6) 4 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 3 HR
Caicedo 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Custred 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Neslony 1-3, R
Herbert 1-3
Josephina 1-3

SHORT-SEASON

Danville 11, Burlington 2

WP: Walker (2-1) 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Orozco 2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
McCreery 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K

Gonzalez 3-4, 3B, HR (2nd), 4 RBI (.316)
Osuna 2-4, HR (4th), 3 RBI (.348)
Pache 1-5, R, 3 RBI
Cumberland 0-4
Hearn 2-5, 2 R, RBI
Mooney 3-3, 3 R

-------------

GCL Braves, DSL Braves idle

UNCBlue012
08-14-2016, 08:27 AM
I've said it before, but I think he's by far our best pitching prospect. I'm really high on Fried and I love Newcomb's stuff, but Allard is so pure.

Tapate50
08-14-2016, 08:46 AM
I've said it before, but I think he's by far our best pitching prospect. I'm really high on Fried and I love Newcomb's stuff, but Allard is so pure.

What's this a white supremacy rally?

:FrediWut:

MadduxFanII
08-14-2016, 02:00 PM
There was probably some value to Allard getting his nose bloodied at Rome earlier in the year- the guy has probably never failed at an athletic endeavor in his life, so it might have been good for him to get the inevitable struggles in early.

IslandBrave
08-14-2016, 02:30 PM
3 run bomb for DPete in the 1st.

nsacpi
08-14-2016, 02:55 PM
3 run bomb for DPete in the 1st.i could see him having a Kelly Johnson type career

msstate7
08-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Matt withrow...
5.0 ip 2 h 0 er 3 bb 4 k

Demeritte 0-2, 3 bb

IslandBrave
08-14-2016, 04:48 PM
i could see him having a Kelly Johnson type career

2 Run Bomb by DPete in the 9th. Not a bad day. 11 HRs on the year.

nsacpi
08-14-2016, 05:18 PM
2 Run Bomb by DPete in the 9th. Not a bad day. 11 HRs on the year.

Has put up career highs in doubles and HRs.

In a tough hitting environment.

I could see him by the time he is 24 or 25 putting up a slash line in the majors along these lines: .290/.350/.450. Assuming the defense is average or better I think that can play in the major league corner outfield spot. It won't make him a star, but it has significant value.

IslandBrave
08-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Has put up career highs in doubles and HRs.

In a tough hitting environment.

I could see him by the time he is 24 or 25 putting up a slash line in the majors along these lines: .290/.350/.450. Assuming the defense is average or better I think that can play in the major league corner outfield spot. It won't make him a star, but it has significant value.

He's 2nd in the SL in RBIs. One of the youngest players in the league. Mighty impressive year.

Hudson2
08-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Peterson has been super impressive this year. He looked good in the outfield from what I've seen in person.

jpack1
08-14-2016, 07:17 PM
D Pete has played CF a couple times this year in a pinch. So his D must be decent.
The 1-4 hitters in Miss all have a chance to be big leaguers. Lien is having a pretty good go of it after his injury.

smootness
08-14-2016, 07:42 PM
Peterson's progression is exciting. I'm not going to try to put a ceiling on him. I think he can continue to get better and become a good major leaguer. That's all I know.

Managuarantano's Volunteers
08-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Nice game by Peterson or heck, the whole Mississippi team. Danville hit well too, especially Gonzalez and Osuna.

Fried struggled more than I'd like, but I guess he hasn't played in a while. All of the other starting pitching was great.

msstate7
08-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Anyone concerned about Cumberland? Before today's 0-4, he was .220/.317/.366.

smootness
08-14-2016, 08:59 PM

At the risk of receiving hate mail, I don't really think he has a big future. I'm not expecting much.

msstate7
08-14-2016, 09:12 PM
At the risk of receiving hate mail, I don't really think he has a big future. I'm not expecting much.

He's certainly not doing anything to prove you wrong.

mqt
08-14-2016, 09:15 PM

A college hitter struggling along in the Appy League? Yeah, I'm a bit concerned.

Oklahomabrave
08-14-2016, 09:17 PM
The Demeritte trade could end up being an epic steal.

jpack1
08-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Over the last 6 weeks the hitters in the system have really stepped it up. Showing the depth

msstate7
08-14-2016, 09:54 PM
The Demeritte trade could end up being an epic steal.

What has gotten into him? Last 10 games, he 14 walks and 11 strike outs. In Texas' A Adv, he had 125 strike outs and 41 walks in 331 ab's. That's 37.8% strike out rate and 12.6% walk rate. Since getting to Carolina, he's struck out 24 times and walked 16 times in 55 ab's. That's 43.6% strike out rate and 29% walk rate... Both of these percentages are trending in the right direction

Edited.... This is all wrong. Not sure why I calculated bb rate and k rate on ABs.

At Carolina, demeritte is walking at a 22.2% clip (16 bb in 72 PAs). He's striking out at a 33.3% clip (24 k in 72 PAs)

Sorry

UNCBlue012
08-15-2016, 04:35 AM
What has gotten into him? Last 10 games, he 14 walks and 11 strike outs. In Texas' A Adv, he had 125 strike outs and 41 walks in 331 ab's. That's 37.8% strike out rate and 12.6% walk rate. Since getting to Carolina, he's struck out 24 times and walked 16 times in 55 ab's. That's 43.6% strike out rate and 29% walk rate... Both of these percentages are trending in the right direction

I've seen people online talking about how good his approach has been. Maybe the trade was a kick in the right direction - and he was tearing it up before. lol

Chico
08-15-2016, 06:15 AM
Peterson has really stepped it up. I keep thinking of when Coppy was in the booth one game and alluded to him possibly playing some 3B. It was subtle, but I wonder if he has the athleticism to do so.

Someone has gotten in Travis's ear about his walk rate. Whatever he's doing is working. Just got to cut down on those K's. We stole him for scrap heap placeholders. It's the reason I see us stocking up on some vet placeholders this offseason. Common logic would say better placeholders would mean better prospects in return.

Cumbeland's struggles are worrisome, but it also may be the fact that he's focusing on his catching. Most said he wouldn't be able to stick. If we're trying to make him stick that could be where his focus is. So, I'm going to be a little more patent with him until we figure out what we're doing with him. I say move him to LF and let him focus on hitting. Switch hitting power hitters are valuable no matter where they play.

UNCBlue012
08-15-2016, 06:48 AM
Peterson has really stepped it up. I keep thinking of when Coppy was in the booth one game and alluded to him possibly playing some 3B. It was subtle, but I wonder if he has the athleticism to do so.

Someone has gotten in Travis's ear about his walk rate. Whatever he's doing is working. Just got to cut down on those K's. We stole him for scrap heap placeholders. It's the reason I see us stocking up on some vet placeholders this offseason. Common logic would say better placeholders would mean better prospects in return.

Cumbeland's struggles are worrisome, but it also may be the fact that he's focusing on his catching. Most said he wouldn't be able to stick. If we're trying to make him stick that could be where his focus is. So, I'm going to be a little more patent with him until we figure out what we're doing with him. I say move him to LF and let him focus on hitting. Switch hitting power hitters are valuable no matter where they play.

I'd love to get DPete at 3rd and add a guy like Ramos. The lineup could be pretty solid then!

Albies 2B
Swanson SS
Freeman 1B
Kemp LF
Ramos C
DPete 3B
Inciarte CF
Pitcher
M. Smith RF

You could configure the lineup several ways, but it could be a lot of fun.

msstate7
08-15-2016, 07:05 AM
If we're thinking of Peterson at 3b, shouldn't he be there now? Unless we move Ruiz to Atlanta, Peterson and Ruiz will be in Gwinnett next season

UNCBlue012
08-15-2016, 07:38 AM
If we're thinking of Peterson at 3b, shouldn't he be there now? Unless we move Ruiz to Atlanta, Peterson and Ruiz will be in Gwinnett next season

That's a good point. I wonder what the plan is. I like Ruiz, but I'm not super high on him. I would LOVE for him to be an above-average starting 3B, but I don't see it.

striker42
08-15-2016, 07:52 AM
I wonder if Fried was told not to throw his curve. Curves are much tougher on the fingers and this was his first start back from the DL after being out with blisters. It wouldn't surprise me if he had his curve taken away or at least seriously limited. Since that's probably his best pitch he was predictably hammered.

Chico
08-15-2016, 08:05 AM

I don't know that we are. I just recall Coppy mentioning it. He also mentioned how there were a number of free agent catchers available and then tried to trade for McCann.

I did find it odd when he listed our targets for next season a month or so ago he listed Catcher, RH OF, 2 RH relievers, and a starter, but didn't list 3B. Who really knows with politician talk? I'm just spitballing.

Tapate50
08-15-2016, 08:17 AM
I don't think Peterson at 3b is an option or he would be there and not moved off the hot corner at first.

Fried should be getting close to innings limits one would think.

50PoundHead
08-15-2016, 09:37 AM
Peterson played 3B in the Padres' system, but the Braves obviously thought he fit better in the OF. I wouldn't be surprised if he logged some innings there in the future, but my guess is he's not viewed as a full-time guy at the position. Curious to see if he plays in the winter league and if he does play some IF. Versatility would help his cause.

nsacpi
08-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Peterson played 3B in the Padres' system, but the Braves obviously thought he fit better in the OF. I wouldn't be surprised if he logged some innings there in the future, but my guess is he's not viewed as a full-time guy at the position. Curious to see if he plays in the winter league and if he does play some IF. Versatility would help his cause.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Ruiz as well. Ruiz and Peterson are going to be part of the mix by 2018 if not 2017 at corner infield and outfield. We'll have a situation where guys like Smith, Peterson and Ruiz will be pushing the incumbents.

50PoundHead
08-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Will be interesting to see what they do with Ruiz as well. Ruiz and Peterson are going to be part of the mix by 2018 if not 2017 at corner infield and outfield. We'll have a situation where guys like Smith, Peterson and Ruiz will be pushing the incumbents.

Could be a great opportunity to work those guys in and put them in positions where they can succeed as opposed to expecting them all to be 600 AB guys out of the gate. Peterson has an OPS > .900 vs. LHP so he looks like someone who can serve as a part of a platoon at the very least. Ruiz has been much better against RHP than he has against LHP, so he could be a platoon guy as well.

I think the key will be to let these guys get their feet under them before we expect too much.

Enscheff
08-15-2016, 10:52 AM

If the incumbents are being "pushed" by players like Mallex, Peterson and Ruiz the Braves didn't have incumbents worth worrying about.

zbhargrove
08-15-2016, 10:57 AM
If the incumbents are being "pushed" by players like Mallex, Peterson and Ruiz the Braves didn't have incumbents worth worrying about.

Come on man. Peterson and Smith have the chance to be very valuable.

Chico
08-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Could be a great opportunity to work those guys in and put them in positions where they can succeed as opposed to expecting them all to be 600 AB guys out of the gate. Peterson has an OPS > .900 vs. LHP so he looks like someone who can serve as a part of a platoon at the very least. Ruiz has been much better against RHP than he has against LHP, so he could be a platoon guy as well.

I think the key will be to let these guys get their feet under them before we expect too much.

I agree. Both of these guys should be eased in as complimentary players. Put them in a position to succeed and help the team.

nsacpi
08-15-2016, 11:06 AM

Yup. Elite prospects like Albies and Swanson you clear a path for. Guys like Smith, Peterson and Ruiz you don't. Rather you give them an opportunity as injuries/performance issues arise with the guys holding down their positions.

msstate7
08-15-2016, 11:18 AM
In 58 games, mallex had a WAR of 1.2. If he maintained that pace, that would be 3.4 for a full season.

Enscheff
08-15-2016, 11:41 AM
In 58 games, mallex had a WAR of 1.2. If he maintained that pace, that would be 3.4 for a full season.

OK I concede, Mallex can probably be the starting CFer if Inciarte is traded to fill another position of need long term. In fact, an Inciarte for Baez swap makes a lot of sense in part because Mallex has shown enough in CF, in my opinion.

However, Mallex Smith is not better than Ender Inciarte and will not be pushing him anywhere.

jpx7
08-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Maybe I'm misreading you? How is going from a 37.8% K-rate to a 43.6% K-rate "trending in the right direction"? Obviously the doubling of the walk-rate is excellent to see, but I'd think we'd want to see that coincide with fewer strikeouts.

msstate7
08-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Maybe I'm misreading you? How is going from a 37.8% K-rate to a 43.6% K-rate "trending in the right direction"? Obviously the doubling of the walk-rate is excellent to see, but I'd think we'd want to see that coincide with fewer strikeouts.
Should've seen demeritte's strike out rate when he first got to Carolina haha. His k rate is actually pretty much lately where he was for the Rangers so it really isn't trending the right direction. Sorry

bravesfanMatt
08-15-2016, 01:00 PM

I wasn't sure either.. maybe trending better in last 10 days.. but not really. However, you might live with K's if he produces like his last 7 days..

Avg/ OBP/ SlG/ OPS
.412/ .655/ 1.000/ 1.655

smootness
08-15-2016, 01:18 PM
It actually is slightly lower since the trade. K rate is based on PAs, not ABs.

msstate7
08-15-2016, 01:22 PM
It actually is slightly lower since the trade. K rate is based on PAs, not ABs.

See, I was right haha. No, I really wasn't. My percentages are all jacked up bc walks don't count as ABs.

msstate7
08-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Demeritte since getting to Carolina...

K rate = 33.3% 24 k in 72 PAs
Bb rate = 22.2% 16 bb in 72 PAs

Now never listen to me again

Enscheff
08-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Demeritte since getting to Carolina...

K rate = 33.3% 24 k in 72 PAs
Bb rate = 22.2% 16 bb in 72 PAs

Now never listen to me again

If I remember correctly, he K'd like 20 times in his first 30 PAs (or something similarly absurd) with the Braves. I would chalk that up to trying to impress a new team. Seems he has been better lately.