PDA

View Full Version : If the Braves don't think Heyward will be back for the Playoffs...

ramadon101
08-27-2013, 08:30 AM
There is a new post up at MLBTraderumors that says the Mets now do intend to trade Byrd to a team putting in a waiver claim for him given the recent news on Harvey's UCL (probably to secure the best spot they can for next year's draft). On a balance of a 1 year contract, Byrd seems like the perfect replacement for Heyward given his plus defense in RF and decent bat. He won't replace all of Jason's offense or defense, but he'd probably be our best bet going into the playoffs. Of course I doubt Byrd ever drops down to us on the waiver wire, but I'd nab him in a second if he did.

NYCBrave
08-27-2013, 09:18 AM
There is a new post up at MLBTraderumors that says the Mets now do intend to trade Byrd to a team putting in a waiver claim for him given the recent news on Harvey's UCL (probably to secure the best spot they can for next year's draft). On a balance of a 1 year contract, Byrd seems like the perfect replacement for Heyward given his plus defense in RF and decent bat. He won't replace all of Jason's offense or defense, but he'd probably be our best bet going into the playoffs. Of course I doubt Byrd ever drops down to us on the waiver wire, but I'd nab him in a second if he did.

He was claimed this morning, no word on who though:

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears that Marlon Byrd was claimed off revocable waivers.

The Mets now have 48 hours to work out a trade with the claiming team. It was previously believed that the Mets preferred to keep Byrd for the rest of the season, but Rubin reported early Tuesday morning that the team is preparing for the possibility of multiple trades within the next couple of days.

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
We're not getting him, but it would be a lift for sure. And if Heyward did come back for October, he could play center.

Heyward
Justin
Freddie
Byrd
Mac
CJ
Uggla
Simmons

bravebonebook
08-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Should have signed him in the offseason. :mad0182: Have always liked Byrd. Think he's better than Reed Johnson or even the (somewhat) resurgent Jordan Schaffer.

bravebonebook
08-27-2013, 10:46 AM
To finish the OP's question, IMO:

If the Braves don't think Heyward will be back for the Playoffs...
...then they (like all teams) should be allowed to trade for any player they wish to pursue, without waiver wire interference.

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 11:00 AM
The way I see it, if Byrd did fall down to us, the Mets owe it to us since they pretty much may have ruined our season, albeit not on purpose.

ramadon101
08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
True.

Josh Willingham just got placed on waivers.

His Ks are up, but he's got a good walk rate and can explode at any moment if he gets into a groove. If we don't get Byrd (unlikely), I'd be ecstatic with Willingham (although he's still under contract for 7m or so next year.. he's tradeable at that price, though).

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Byrd or Willingham would be preferable to what we're getting right now, even if Willingham hasn't had a great year. But I see the Pirates/Dodgers or even the Nats/Phillies just throwing up road blocks at us for anyone. I think largely our success offensively from here on relies on three things.

1. Justin needs to carry the team and be the MVP, and Freddie, Mac and CJ need to continue to produce.
2. Uggla has to go on one of his two-month tears. Give us something more than just some walks and a home run every 8-10 games.
3. Either BJ has to start hitting, or one or two out of Schafer, Gattis and Terd have to become a force.

nsacpi
08-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Byrd or Willingham would be preferable to what we're getting right now

Byrd yes. But Willingham has had a very poor season.

Our best outfield right now is Terdoslavich in left, Schafer/Upton platoon in center, Justin in right. Don't see where Willingham would be an upgrade relative to that.

Garmel
08-27-2013, 12:28 PM

Our best outfield right now is Terdoslavich in left, Schafer/Upton platoon in center, Justin in right. Don't see where Willingham would be an upgrade relative to that.

Yep. It's also important to not have Schafer and BJ Upton in the same lineup if it can be helped.

bravesnumberone
08-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Scratch Byrd off the list. On his way to Pitt.

MadduxFanII
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Dammit, ramadon. If you hadn't said anything the Pirates would never have gotten the idea of picking up Byrd. Why must you ruin our season?

ramadon101
08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Sorry MF. I'm the cause the Braves missed out on David Ortiz (for Robert Freaking Fick) too. I need to stop posting my ideas on public forums and hurry up and become a GM already.

So which team steals Willingham now?

Bama9507
08-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Ortiz would have the play defense and that would've been rough.

ramadon101
08-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Fick 2003 - .4 WAR

Ortiz 2003 - 3.1 WAR (then would go on to post a 4, 5 and 5.5 WAR in successive seasons... in the same period Fick posted a 0, -1.5 and another -1.5 WAR)

I hear what you're saying on D, but I'd say we lost that bet pretty badly. We could have used Ortiz when he was younger and still serviceable at 1B and then flipped him as a valuable DH for a lot.

MadduxFanII
08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Per Rosenthal, the Royals have put Ervin Santana on waivers. Probably not meaningful (everyone puts everyone on waivers, and the Royals definitely want to keep him), he wouldn't fix any offensive issues, obviously, and the Royals would ask a lot for him, but if we claimed Kyle Lohse, Santana isn't the worst idea in the world.

ramadon101
08-27-2013, 03:37 PM
... and Dayton just swung a trade for Clayton Mortenson from the Red Sox (who has recently been stretched out and converted into a SP). Oh to dream a dream.

nsacpi
08-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Santana is a better idea than Lohse. He's pitched better than Lohse this year. And no financial obligation beyond 2013.

Having said that, I think the Royals will hold on to him. They can get a #1 draft pick for him. We would have to offer something more attractive. As a point of reference they would value a player like Hursh about the same as a potential #1 pick.

MadduxFanII
08-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Can we sign Francoeur just to trade him back to Dayton?

ramadon101
08-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Would you trade Salcedo for Santana? I would. And he's the type of player that Dayton would covet.

yeezus
08-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Would you trade Salcedo for Santana? I would. And he's the type of player that Dayton would covet.

extremely easily.

nsacpi
08-27-2013, 04:02 PM
extremely easily.

What did you think of the Greinke trade last year when it happened? The Beltran trade from two years ago that sent Wheeler to the Mets?

50PoundHead
08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
I saw a game with Willingham last week. He banged up his knee earlier in the year and he is really hobbling. Was never that fast. Is now glacial.

Heyward
08-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Should have signed him in the offseason. :mad0182: Have always liked Byrd. Think he's better than Reed Johnson or even the (somewhat) resurgent Jordan Schaffer.

He wouldn't be starting so he wouldn't get near the at bats he is now.

Not sure the big deal.

gilesfan
08-27-2013, 04:26 PM
No way the Royals trade Santana for only Salcedo.

gilesfan
08-27-2013, 04:27 PM
What did you think of the Greinke trade last year when it happened? The Beltran trade from two years ago that sent Wheeler to the Mets?

Wheeler>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Salcedo

nsacpi
08-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Wheeler>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Salcedo

Didn't say otherwise. Just asking what everyone thought of those two trades at the time they went down.

zbhargrove
08-27-2013, 04:53 PM

Not sure the big deal.

^This... why would we have signed Byrd? Better question... why would Byrd have signed with us to be a bench player when he could be playing everyday? Not a very logical post.

yeezus
08-27-2013, 05:58 PM

I think they shouldn't have traded Wheeler for a half year of Beltran.

Bye Week
08-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Jason Kubel was DFA's by the D'Backs. He can hit a little.

bravebonebook
08-27-2013, 06:44 PM

Not sure the big deal.

We've used outfielders #7-9 this year. 5 of the 6 'starting' outfielders have been on the DL and Justin has been banged up plenty. Byrd would have played a lot for this team. Not a starter, true, but he would have gotten plenty of bats. Don't know if he would have even signed but he would have been a decent pick-up.

zbhargrove
08-27-2013, 07:34 PM
We've used outfielders #7-9 this year. 5 of the 6 'starting' outfielders have been on the DL and Justin has been banged up plenty. Byrd would have played a lot for this team. Not a starter, true, but he would have gotten plenty of bats. Don't know if he would have even signed but he would have been a decent pick-up.

Yes but there is no way Byrd could have predicted injury futures for the Braves before the season started. An OF many were calling the best in MLB preseason. If there was a chance to start (and I'm sure he had plenty of interest as a potential starter) do you really think Byrd would have been a 4th OFer which is what he would have been when signed? Makes no sense.

ramadon101
08-27-2013, 07:41 PM
No way the Royals trade Santana for only Salcedo.

Yeah because Moore is an astute GM, right?

I actually KNOW Dayton has a stiffy for Salcedo. Maybe he wouldn't be the only piece but trust me, he'd ask for him.

MadduxFanII
08-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Looks like Josh Willingham was claimed off waivers (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/josh-willingham-claimed-off-waivers.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter). No word on the claiming team yet. Fingers crossed for the Braves.

rico43
08-28-2013, 05:12 PM

Did you kind of throw up in your mouth when you wrote that? It was painful to read because I'm afraid it's true.

rico43
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Jason Kubel was DFA's by the D'Backs. He can hit a little.

Kubel has option for 2014 at $7.5 mil. Interesting.

tvsportscaster
08-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Looks like Josh Willingham was claimed off waivers (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/josh-willingham-claimed-off-waivers.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter). No word on the claiming team yet. Fingers crossed for the Braves.

For the Braves to have claimed him means that every other team in baseball would have passed on him, because with the Braves having the best record in baseball, and Willingham in the AL, then that means the Braves would have been the very last team on the list. Not likely they were the claiming team.

MadduxFanII
08-28-2013, 05:25 PM
For the Braves to have claimed him means that every other team in baseball would have passed on him, because with the Braves having the best record in baseball, and Willingham in the AL, then that means the Braves would have been the very last team on the list. Not likely they were the claiming team.

That's why I'm crossing my fingers.

For luck.

ramadon101
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Looks like I gave another team an idea... sigh.

Orioles claimed Willingham and are trying to workout a trade now.

bravesnumberone
08-28-2013, 11:16 PM
We don't need Willingham. We need BJ to try to work it out. But seriously, we're not losing much by not getting him.

Dunit24
08-29-2013, 07:35 AM
So right now we are looking at a playoff bench of(if Heyward doesnt return) - Laird, Gattis, Terdo, RJohnson, EJohnson?

Is it really a need to get another bench player?

jason27nc
08-29-2013, 07:52 AM
So right now we are looking at a playoff bench of(if Heyward doesnt return) - Laird, Gattis, Terdo, RJohnson, EJohnson?

Is it really a need to get another bench player?

I have no doubt that JHey will be back for the playoffs. I feel like he would be back in the regular season if it wasn't for the big lead. I wish he was back for the last week to get some swings against live pitching but that may be a stretch.

tululush
08-29-2013, 09:19 AM
He said in the game the other day when interviewed that he was going to start working out on Thursday (today).

bravesnumberone
08-29-2013, 10:52 AM
If at all possible, he needs to be in there before the postseason. Don't need him completely cold starting the playoffs. But I'll be happy with any Jason at all.

bravebonebook
08-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Here's my question(s): If Heyward doesn't return, do the Braves need another bat to replace his production? I say 'yes' because I don't see Uggla or BJ suddenly turning it around the last month.
If Heyward does return at least by the play-offs and is closer to form than some think, do the Braves need a bench bat? Maybe; El Oso Blanco has been transparent since his trip to the DL and do you trust some of these guys in key pinch hit situations? (Terdo, Laird, ??).
Here's the problem: how are we going to be able to get anyone? Thanks to these ridiculous waiver wire rules, anyone we could actually claim would have to be either (1) too expensive or (2) too rotten to bother with because all of the good to decent ones will be claimed by the teams fighting us for 'best record' and play-off spots.
Wren has 2 1/2 days left, only a couple of needs, but I don't see how he is going to fill them with his hands tied by the waiver wire...

bravesnumberone
08-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Marlon Byrd was our chance to get anyone of significance. So we're just going to have to hope we can get by. Hope that Schafer can build off the last couple days, and BJ/Uggla give us something.

AJonesATL
08-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Maybe i'm a minority but i still think jason will be back. If anything I think they are being very cautious not to put any unnecessary pressure on him to come back...But there is an absolute chance he gets back

tululush
08-29-2013, 12:46 PM
I think he comes back as well. He may have some funky helmet to help proect himself but I saw whatever. Play him. If he get's re-injured you have the whole offseason to heal. It's your jaw. Not an elbow or shoulder.

Maybe i'm a minority but i still think jason will be back. If anything I think they are being very cautious not to put any unnecessary pressure on him to come back...But there is an absolute chance he gets back

ProbationDeac
08-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Agreed, I think he comes back as well.

goosecreekbrave
08-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Agreed, I think he comes back as well.

I think he'll be back for postseason play if not the last few regular season games. I'm not worried about the rust of his swing, but I am worried about the mental aspect of facing live pitching again when it matters. The psyche factor has got to play in somewhere. How strong will Jason be is the question.