PDA

View Full Version : GDT 8/28/13: Indians (Masterson) @ Braves (Maholm) 7:10 PM

Pages : 1 [2]

bravesnumberone
08-28-2013, 09:59 PM
a win and there's still complaining going on....

It kills me that people aren't able to have a discussion about one of this team's most critical investment simply because we won a ball game in late August.

parkvadawg
08-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Oh you mean the three years where Schafer had less than 200 AB's and was constantly in BC's dog house because of his immaturity? Are you a new fan to the Braves or did you just not know this? How about how immature Schafer was and how he got into a home run frenzy and got away from his game. We know what B.J is and how do you know Schafer hasn't turned the corner? I think he's finally matured and becoming the player the Braves were so high on. Please don't even bring up the Houston stats because I'd be depressed if I had to play for Houston as well. Losing night in and night out will make anyone throw in the towel.

If Schafer was given 550-600 AB's I don't think it would be absurd to think he would hit .250-.270 with close to 50 XBH and an OBP .340-.350 and steal over 40 with ease. He will K 100-120 times but I think his defense may be better than Upton's but I'm sure some stat head will show some stats that say other wise but I don't go by that I go by what I see and BJ isn't on Schafer's level as far as range goes. Ok say I give BJ the benefit of the doubt and he hits what he did in 2011 which was .246/23/81 with an OBP of .330(which happened to be the highest since 2008) and he stole 36 bags but k'd 160 times. So would BJ's 2011 season be worth 13 million more than a guy who hits lead-off that would hit no worse than .250 with an OBP of .330+ and swipe well over 40 bases and manufacture runs at the top of the order? If you truly think that then I'm done discussing anything with you.

So don't count Houston's stats because he was depressed ( how anyone could deal with being a starting MLB CF'er is beyond me). Don't count the small sample sizes previously because he spot started. However it' s not absurd to think he will have a .350 OBP based on his 50x less sample size of this years spot starts. Am I new to following the Braves or are u perhaps reaching? By the way Schafer career ops .629 (awful and including this year). Forgive me if that doesn't convince me to throw away a 75 million investment. Regardless if its worth 13 more million or not, the money is already spent.

gilesfan
08-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Schafer continuing to outplay BeeeJ.

Nice outing for Malholm as well. Who knew he had it

JusticeForAll23
08-28-2013, 10:12 PM
So that win runs our home record to 46-18. Here's what we've got left at home this year:

CLE - 1x
MIA - 3x
NYM - 3x
SDP - 3x
MIL - 3x
PHI - 4x

So how many home wins do we get? 60 is a long shot, but something like 56-58 wins seems reasonable unless we rest almost everyone during the 7-game home stand to close the season.

I'm guessing 60+ home wins is the record, but anyone know how many teams have won 55+ home games in a season?

Dalyn
08-28-2013, 10:13 PM
It kills me that people aren't able to have a discussion about one of this team's most critical investment simply because we won a ball game in late August.

Right? It is a valid discussion.

Dalyn
08-28-2013, 10:14 PM

Maholm has been one of our best pitchers at home.

drewdat
08-28-2013, 10:23 PM
So that win runs our home record to 46-18. Here's what we've got left at home this year:

CLE - 1x
MIA - 3x
NYM - 3x
SDP - 3x
MIL - 3x
PHI - 4x

So how many home wins do we get? 60 is a long shot, but something like 56-58 wins seems reasonable unless we rest almost everyone during the 7-game home stand to close the season.

I'm guessing 60+ home wins is the record, but anyone know how many teams have won 55+ home games in a season?

Record is 65-16 by the 1961 Yankees (or by win %, 62-15 by the 1932 Yankees). Not sure there's a good (free) way to find the other answer.

drewdat
08-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Record is 65-16 by the 1961 Yankees (or by win %, 62-15 by the 1932 Yankees). Not sure there's a good (free) way to find the other answer.

Actually there was (http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/situational.cgi?from=1901&to=2013&0=0&1=3&rsgtlt=gt&rs=5&ragtlt=gt&ra=5&2=6&trgtlt=gt&tr=10&3=9&mvgtlt=gt&mv=1&4=10&owlsgtlt=gt&owls=.500&sortby=WP&teams=team&years=each&submit=Run+Situation). It's 94 teams that have won at least 55 home games in a season (since 1901, no adjustment made for 154 game seasons). The Braves did it in '96, '98, '99, '03, and '10.

Braves1976
08-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Good win, we needed it since Nats are going to sweep Miami (and have the Byrdless Mets next). Hopefully we can sweep tomorrow.

That said, Gattis hasn't started in 6 days and counting again. As I said yesterday, if this continues I doubt he'll be able to shake the rust to help us later on (including in the playoffs). We need to start playing Gattis more to get him going again.

Teheran_49
08-28-2013, 10:38 PM
So don't count Houston's stats because he was depressed ( how anyone could deal with being a starting MLB CF'er is beyond me). Don't count the small sample sizes previously because he spot started. However it' s not absurd to think he will have a .350 OBP based on his 50x less sample size of this years spot starts. Am I new to following the Braves or are u perhaps reaching? By the way Schafer career ops .629 (awful and including this year). Forgive me if that doesn't convince me to throw away a 75 million investment. Regardless if its worth 13 more million or not, the money is already spent.

Schafer is still relatively young and he is just now entering the stage where the vast majority of players have their best years and things finally click. Michael Bourn was pretty bad at the plate until he was 26 and even though he's not a world beater he's still pretty damn good. I think Bourn and Schafer are very similar and I do believe that Schafer could be the same type of player if given the opportunity. Obviously the money has been spent but why would FW spend that kind of money on BJ who has lived off the "potential" tag and is now approaching 30. Seems to me the "potential" is more reality. Now if we gave a guy like Ellsbury that kind of money then I'be be fine with that but BJ's so called proven track record is that he can hit 25 HR's and steal 30 bases while striking out 150+ times with a pedestrian OBP and BA that plays solid defense.

Teheran_49
08-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Good win, we needed it since Nats are going to sweep Miami (and have the Byrdless Mets next). Hopefully we can sweep tomorrow.

That said, Gattis hasn't started in 6 days and counting again. As I said yesterday, if this continues I doubt he'll be able to shake the rust to help us later on (including in the playoffs). We need to start playing Gattis more to get him going again.

Honestly I think Gattis' problem is that he's never played this much and it's taken a toll on him. Maybe he needs the extra rest to get it back together.

Braves1976
08-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Honestly I think Gattis' problem is that he's never played this much and it's taken a toll on him. Maybe he needs the extra rest to get it back together.

I disagree, Gattis problem is that hasn't been getting consistent AB's (and has been moved around a lot, etc). This goes back to before his injury too. The injury and time missed certainly made it worse and harder.

Runnin
08-28-2013, 10:50 PM
I would pull Chipper out of the seats and pinch-hit him here.
CJ has been better than Chipper this year, more durable and played better. We should be very happy that he has made so much of his opportunity. He is definitely a keeper.

Julio3000
08-28-2013, 11:15 PM
CJ has been better than Chipper this year, more durable and played better. We should be very happy that he has made so much of his opportunity. He is definitely a keeper.

I'm thrilled with what we've gotten out of Johnson, and he's certainly been more durable than 40-year-old Chipper, but I'll bet that his OPS at year end is less than Larry's 2012 number.

Julio3000
08-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Schafer is still relatively young and he is just now entering the stage where the vast majority of players have their best years and things finally click. Michael Bourn was pretty bad at the plate until he was 26 and even though he's not a world beater he's still pretty damn good. I think Bourn and Schafer are very similar and I do believe that Schafer could be the same type of player if given the opportunity. Obviously the money has been spent but why would FW spend that kind of money on BJ who has lived off the "potential" tag and is now approaching 30. Seems to me the "potential" is more reality. Now if we gave a guy like Ellsbury that kind of money then I'be be fine with that but BJ's so called proven track record is that he can hit 25 HR's and steal 30 bases while striking out 150+ times with a pedestrian OBP and BA that plays solid defense.

Jordan is 2 years younger than BJ.

bravesnumberone
08-29-2013, 12:03 AM
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/610/img/photos/2013/08/28/36/6d/082913_braves_CC19.JPG

zitothebrave
08-29-2013, 12:05 AM

I would eat Kevin Mench's hat if Schafer became the same type of player Bourn is. For starters, Schafer cannot field close to Bourn's level. Second I severely doubt even if he was on a team that ran more he would swipe 60+ bases and be caught under 15 times. Considering to date Schafer has stolen a total of 64 bases for his whole career. All 311 games, 1085 PA. Schafer walks more but also Ks more. About the only thing they have in common is they're fast lefties with little girl power. Look at their batted ball and you'll see why Schafer won't be Bourn, Schafer lifts more balls as his GB% is 44% compared to Bourn's 55%. LD% for the 2 is close as well, so the difference is Schafer lifts more balls. But given that they have similar HR/FB numbers and Schafer hits WAY more IFFB, that's not a good thing at all.

Basically Schafer can hope to be a poorman's cross of worse than Bourn's offensive ability with like Curtis Granderson recently or Adam Jones's defensive ability. Which has some value, but I'd rather have Bossman's normally pretty surefire 3 WAR than pray Schafer can piece it together.

JusticeForAll23
08-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Actually there was (http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/situational.cgi?from=1901&to=2013&0=0&1=3&rsgtlt=gt&rs=5&ragtlt=gt&ra=5&2=6&trgtlt=gt&tr=10&3=9&mvgtlt=gt&mv=1&4=10&owlsgtlt=gt&owls=.500&sortby=WP&teams=team&years=each&submit=Run+Situation). It's 94 teams that have won at least 55 home games in a season (since 1901, no adjustment made for 154 game seasons). The Braves did it in '96, '98, '99, '03, and '10.
Yeah, I figured 55+ home wins was pretty common, and should've known some of our teams during the division champs streak did it a few times. Don't know why I didn't think of or remember 2010 since I remember us having the best home record in baseball that year. A few other teams were close to 55+ home wins but we were the only ones to win 55+ with a 56-25 home record.

Bdawg2309
08-29-2013, 12:08 AM

he does have it, just as long as he's not pitching on the road.

Carp
08-29-2013, 04:31 AM
I disagree, Gattis problem is that hasn't been getting consistent AB's (and has been moved around a lot, etc). This goes back to before his injury too. The injury and time missed certainly made it worse and harder.

Well I disagree with that.

Gattis has looked lost at the play recently. Pitchrs have started to figure him out. I do agree he probably needs more at bats so he can try to make adjustments, but I don't think the lack of at bats is why he has struggled, nor do I think it was to do with moving him around.

stpeteirish
08-29-2013, 06:32 AM
looking at the replay a lot of guys would not have scored on CJ's hit, Brantley's throw was right there. Schafer's speed is another reason he has value.

While Heyward's hurt the argument is which of Gattis, BJ, Schafer and Terdo should play in the two spots besides Justin. Gattis is the last one of the four in usage lately, and I think its right. The other three should all be getting regular starts, and they are.

stpeteirish
08-29-2013, 06:36 AM

At who's expense? I think he's the 5th OF'er and the other four have been more productive lately, or in the case of BJ have more reasons to get some AB's. Even Laird has hit better than Gattis lately.

Braves1976
08-29-2013, 07:03 AM
At who's expense? I think he's the 5th OF'er and the other four have been more productive lately, or in the case of BJ have more reasons to get some AB's. Even Laird has hit better than Gattis lately.

Gattis hasn't been playing enough, getting enough consistent AB's to make your case. I could go a week of missing games and hardly miss a start by Gattis. Further, this shouldn't even be a debate with Heyward out now. Gattis should be playing in left when Joey T isn't starting IMO.

Braves1976
08-29-2013, 07:11 AM
looking at the replay a lot of guys would not have scored on CJ's hit, Brantley's throw was right there. Schafer's speed is another reason he has value.

Schafer had done almost nothing since coming off the DL before two out of the last three games. I agree he has speed and had a strong game last night. But I am not sold that he's any sort of answer at lead-off, etc.

skidlee
08-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Compared to the alternatives I don't see anyone who should be the leadoff hitter over schafer

Dunit24
08-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Im cool with the starting lineup Fredi used in this game. We should roll w/that one until JHey gets back.

Teheran_49
08-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Schafer had done almost nothing since coming off the DL before two out of the last three games. I agree he has speed and had a strong game last night. But I am not sold that he's any sort of answer at lead-off, etc.

So I guess we'll bash Schafer because he had a 30 AB slump and give BJ a pass because he's only had a 350 AB slump. B.J has shown zero pop in the last two months but we'll give him a pass since it's only 100 AB's and he was injured but we'll bash Schafer who was out for a while with his injury. Schafer has mashed righties this year in 150 AB's while BJ has hit worse against lefties with the eye popping stats of .168/.231/.463 in 100 AB's with just 1 homer. So when all of you want to see BJ out there and this offense struggles to score 2 runs a game with BJ and Uggla in the line-up don't cry and try to put the blame on Freddi.

zitothebrave
08-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Bashing Schafer has more to do with the failed start to his career in Atlanta and 2 failed seasons in Houston. I like Schafer as a bench player but that's what he is. You do realize the samples you're citing for BJ sucking against lefties while Schafer rocks against righties are small sample size correct? Schafer has a career .301 wOBA vs RHP Bossman has a career .339 wOBA vs LHP

Braves would be wise to play the guy with a much better career.

gilesfan
08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
The Braves are playing the better player right now in Schafer, it's not hard to understand. If Upton showed signs of changing his swing, then maybe he would get some ABs.

As far as Gattis, what has he done in the past 3 months to deserve playing?

Tapate50
08-29-2013, 10:18 AM
The Braves are playing the better player right now in Schafer, it's not hard to understand. If Upton showed signs of changing his swing, then maybe he would get some ABs.

TheThe just died. A little.

thethe
08-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I actually agree. Gattis needs to drastically change his approach. Its not going to work anymore.

bravesnumberone
08-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Gattis not getting enough starts has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he can't take a few pitches to save his life.

Julio3000
08-29-2013, 11:09 AM
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/610/img/photos/2013/08/28/36/6d/082913_braves_CC19.JPG

The Braves' playoff hopes were dealt another serious blow when first baseman and team MVP Freddie Freeman was placed on the 15-day disabled list with severe lacerations to his left index finger, which required surgical reattachment owing to injuries sustained after a failed hug attempt during the team's celebration of their walkoff win over the Cleveland Indians on Wednesday. A dejected-looking Freeman was seen leaving a local hospital where he received stitches, a rabies vaccination, and a tetanus shot.

bravesnumberone
08-29-2013, 11:17 AM
The Braves' playoff hopes were dealt another serious blow when first baseman and team MVP Freddie Freeman was placed on the 15-day disabled list with severe lacerations to his left index finger, which required surgical reattachment owing to injuries sustained after a failed hug attempt during the team's celebration of their walkoff win over the Cleveland Indians on Wednesday. A dejected-looking Freeman was seen leaving a local hospital where he received stitches, a rabies vaccination, and a tetanus shot.

So basically, Freddie's finger is the Nathan's hot dog, CJ is Chestnutt/Kobiyashi, and Medlen is supplying the beast with his water.

emk418
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Compared to the alternatives I don't see anyone who should be the leadoff hitter over schafer

Yep...until hopefully Heyward comes back for the playoffs, Schafer needs to be leading off every day. Even if he comes back, Schafer should start over BJ in CF in the playoffs if he keeps playing like this.

yeezus
08-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh you mean the three years where Schafer had less than 200 AB's and was constantly in BC's dog house because of his immaturity? Are you a new fan to the Braves or did you just not know this? How about how immature Schafer was and how he got into a home run frenzy and got away from his game. We know what B.J is and how do you know Schafer hasn't turned the corner? I think he's finally matured and becoming the player the Braves were so high on. Please don't even bring up the Houston stats because I'd be depressed if I had to play for Houston as well. Losing night in and night out will make anyone throw in the towel.

If Schafer was given 550-600 AB's I don't think it would be absurd to think he would hit .250-.270 with close to 50 XBH and an OBP .340-.350 and steal over 40 with ease. He will K 100-120 times but I think his defense may be better than Upton's but I'm sure some stat head will show some stats that say other wise but I don't go by that I go by what I see and BJ isn't on Schafer's level as far as range goes. Ok say I give BJ the benefit of the doubt and he hits what he did in 2011 which was .246/23/81 with an OBP of .330(which happened to be the highest since 2008) and he stole 36 bags but k'd 160 times. So would BJ's 2011 season be worth 13 million more than a guy who hits lead-off that would hit no worse than .250 with an OBP of .330+ and swipe well over 40 bases and manufacture runs at the top of the order? If you truly think that then I'm done discussing anything with you.

LMAO at 50 XBH and 40 SB for Schafer. He'd be one of the better players in the game with those numbers.
Now I KNOW you're insane.

Julio3000
08-29-2013, 11:49 AM
So basically, Freddie's finger is the Nathan's hot dog, CJ is Chestnutt/Kobiyashi, and Medlen is supplying the beast with his water.

That picture of Kris is just begging for some Photoshoppage.

Enscheff
08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I think the next month is going to determine who plays CF for the Braves in the postseason. Fredi has the chance to play BJ and Schafer side by side every day (or almost every day) to see who earns the right to play in October.

When the playoffs start we will see Heyward and Justin in the corners, and the winner of the Schafer/BJ battle in CF. At that point it won't matter who did what 2 years ago, or even 2 months ago. Whomever is hitting better on Oct 1 will be the starter in CF, so there really isn't any point in arguing about it right now.

Both guys are going to get their shot this month, so it's up to each of them to prove themselves.

jason27nc
08-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Gattis not getting enough starts has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he can't take a few pitches to save his life.

Exactly, I don't believe in swinging your way out of a slump or even shooting your way out of a slump in basketball. If you are failing at what you are doing, you have to change something. Especially in baseball where small mechanics can keep you from making good contact. Sitting on the bench while you figure them out is not the worse thing in the world either. It gives you a chance to figure it out and then when you do get in there it will show. Gattis has not figured it out and should not be getting more playing time.

stpeteirish
08-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Im cool with the starting lineup Fredi used in this game. We should roll w/that one until JHey gets back.

except Schafer really isn't any good vs LHP. No easy solution to who plays instead because the last thing I'd want is Simmons going back to leadoff. And if Schafer doesn't play we have no one who is remotely close to a good leadoff man.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any lefties on the horizon. vs RHP play Schafer, BJ and an occasional Terd.

jpx7
08-29-2013, 01:07 PM
BJ has been the biggest failure in history of FA signings.

History? Hardly. Vaughn comes to mind. Hampton. Bonilla. The list goes on and on. BJ has several seasons to make it to the top of the list--or to bounce back and get off it altogether.

Yea, I think people are often a little too quick to invoke the totality of history.

Teheran_49
08-29-2013, 01:36 PM

+1. Once we officially or are damn near close to locking up the division then let Gattis,Upton and BJ get all the playing time they need.

Julio3000
08-29-2013, 02:23 PM
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/harper_yellingcopy_zpseb35ecba.jpg

Julio3000
08-29-2013, 02:24 PM
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/mordor__zpsb1bebb6c.jpg

Julio3000
08-30-2013, 11:06 AM
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/holbrook_meds_zps0ccffdab.jpg

Temo
08-30-2013, 02:32 PM
I wish there was a higher league of message boards we could send Julio too. He's conquered this level and needs to be promoted.

jpx7
08-30-2013, 03:23 PM
I wish there was a higher league of message boards we could send Julio too. He's conquered this level and needs to be promoted.

SAV should just give Julio a cut of all that internet-money he's raking from this site.

Julio3000
08-30-2013, 04:06 PM
SAV should just give Julio a cut of all that internet-money he's raking from this site.

Greedy bastard. It's not enough for him to have his cut of royalties from turning a television into a watch. Now he's raking in the bucks from this joint.

CyYoung31
08-30-2013, 04:33 PM
This is just what I feared...

Julio3000
08-30-2013, 04:36 PM

See what happens when you leave for two weeks?

jpx7
08-30-2013, 04:49 PM

See what happens when you leave for two weeks?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/the-bridge-on-the-river-kwai/w448/the-bridge-on-the-river-kwai.jpg?1333963169