PDA

View Full Version : Orel Hershiser

Diesel
08-30-2013, 02:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9606617/looking-back-orel-hershiser%E2%80%99s-major-league-record-scoreless-innings-streak

Here is an article about the scoreless streak he had in '88-'89. I posted it because I never really bought the "bulldog" persona that he tried to take on. Lasorda mentions giving it to him and why. Not saying he wasn't an excellent pitcher, but what really brought that to life was in the '95 WS against Cleveland. Something happened (maybe we hit Murray?) and I remember Orel trying to be so macho and tough and it was almost comical as I remember. He was so nerdy looking and acting. Bulldog? Nahhhhhh

Anyone remember the circumstances to that altercation in '95?

Gary82
08-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Orel Hershiser wasn't just pitching against Greg Maddux, he was talking to him.

A brushback pitch by Maddux to Eddie Murray after Albert Belle's first-inning homer caused both benches and bullpens to clear in the first inning last night.

"Greg, I don't think, was trying to throw at Eddie," Hershiser said. "I walked out during the bench-clearing and stood next to Greg and said to him, `Did you try to hit him on purpose?' He said back to me, `No, I was trying to jam him,' and I said, `I know you're better than that,' meaning much better control, `because I'm going to have the ball, too. I can have as good of control as you can.'

"He just kind of looked at me and we had respectful glances. It wasn't my job to come back and knock someone down."

Maddux threw high and inside to Murray after Belle's homer put the Indians ahead 2-0 lead. Murray took a couple of steps toward the mound and yelled at Maddux, and home plate umpire Frank Pulli jumped in front of Murray as he pointed to his head and complained.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19951027&slug=2149075

RIP Frank Pulli

Hawk
08-30-2013, 02:54 PM
From that same article:

Atlanta Manager Bobby Cox said the proposed merger of Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc., the company that owns the team, and Time-Warner Inc. will not have an effect on the Braves.

"Ted (Turner) called all his sports people together from TBS, the basketball team (Atlanta Hawks) and the baseball team and discussed it, and my understanding is that it won't effect that ballclub. If anything, I think Ted just gets more money," Cox said.

Julio3000
08-30-2013, 04:32 PM
From that same article:

United Nations General Secretary Boutros Boutros-Ghali said the proposed merger of Time Warner Inc. and AOL. will not have an effect on the UN.

"Ted (Turner) called all his philanthropy people together . . . and discussed it, and my understanding is that it won't effect that billion-dollar pledge. If anything, I think Ted just gets more money," Boutros-Ghali said.

True story.

Julio3000
08-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Orel is overrated.

jpx7
08-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Orel is overrated.

His cousin Anel was the real star of the family.

Julio3000
08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
His cousin Anel was the real star of the family.

He had a knack for getting a DP in just the right situation.

It's too bad. I hear his career was really derailed by injury.

jpx7
08-30-2013, 05:19 PM
It's too bad. I hear his career was really derailed by injury.

Yea, but Orel didn't care: he was only a second-cousin, once removed.

bravebonebook
08-30-2013, 06:01 PM
I believe Orel should take young Wood under his wing...

Julio3000
08-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Yea, but Orel didn't care: he was only a second-cousin, once removed.

Wow.

Bama9507
08-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey Oral!!!

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/ksjdhfskjdhf/BSSI.gif