Teheran_49
08-31-2013, 05:12 AM
http://tomahawktake.com/2013/08/30/braves-prospects-a-review/

JohnAdcox
08-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks. That WAS a good read.

cajunrevenge
08-31-2013, 11:19 AM
I am still not big on our farm system as it stands now but the amount of talent that has come up to Atlanta in such a small amount of time is incredible. Even when it was a top 5 farm system it was vastly underrated. The Royals were supposed to have a legendary farm system a few years ago and they have got next to squat from it while we keep getting good production from our prospects.

zitothebrave
08-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Interesting read. I think too many people are down on La Stella though. Having watched him play I think at worst he'll be a decent starting 2B or great reserve IF. Dude can flat out hit.

Teheran_49
08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
I am still not big on our farm system as it stands now but the amount of talent that has come up to Atlanta in such a small amount of time is incredible. Even when it was a top 5 farm system it was vastly underrated. The Royals were supposed to have a legendary farm system a few years ago and they have got next to squat from it while we keep getting good production from our prospects.

Well Hosmer is doing pretty well as is Alex Gordon. Moustakas is having a bad year and they traded away the best of the bunch for a one year rental . How TB got Myers for Shields is beyond me but more power to them.

cajunrevenge
08-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Gordon came up long before this particular wave of prospects, he just didnt start hitting till 2 years ago. Hosmer is still a marginal player right now. He seems to have turned figured it out recently but even then he looks like Freeman with a little less power. Jury is still out on Hosmer, but I think there is reason to be optimistic. The strength of their farm system was supposed to be pitching and they got squat from that so far.

Teheran_49
08-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Interesting read. I think too many people are down on La Stella though. Having watched him play I think at worst he'll be a decent starting 2B or great reserve IF. Dude can flat out hit.

I'm not sure why La Stella isn't praised more but a lot of our guys weren't really considered top tier prospects but have produced really well for us. I have not got the chance to see La Stella in person but from the limited amount of highlights I've seen from him is that he hits the ball where it's pitched and his swing looks pretty good as well. The guy has walked more than he's struck out so he must be doing something right.

Teheran_49
08-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Gordon came up long before this particular wave of prospects, he just didnt start hitting till 2 years ago. Hosmer is still a marginal player right now. He seems to have turned figured it out recently but even then he looks like Freeman with a little less power. Jury is still out on Hosmer, but I think there is reason to be optimistic. The strength of their farm system was supposed to be pitching and they got squat from that so far.

I just remember hearing about their offensive players in their system. Did their guys get hurt like what happened to the Pirates years ago when all their top pitchers just kept getting hurt?

Hawk
08-31-2013, 12:41 PM
I really like KC's core -- Butler/Hosmer/Moustakas/Gordon -- and their complimentary pieces are nice too -- Dyson/Escobar/Cain

Their starting pitching is an achilles heel, even with the addition of Shields. When they inevitably lose Santana, and Chen falls back to earth, things are going to look mighty rough.

thethe
08-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Braves farm system started to get underrated after so many prospects flamed out in the late 90's and early 2000's. I don't mind. Braves keep producing above average major leaguers. Our young pitching is the envy of every organization in baseball.

cajunrevenge
08-31-2013, 02:00 PM
I just remember hearing about their offensive players in their system. Did their guys get hurt like what happened to the Pirates years ago when all their top pitchers just kept getting hurt?

Here is a link to John Sickels top 20 Royals prospects and his summary of their system. He normally does 20 but he liked the system so much he went to 28 prospects.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/10/24/1772207/kansas-city-royals-top-20-prospects-for-2011

What can you say? This is one hell of a farm system. While the young pitching gets a large amount of attention, and deservedly so, the Royals also have three of the most elite young bats in baseball in the Moustakas/Hosmer/Myers troika. I'm also a huge fan of Brett Eibner. In addition to the possible future stars, they have considerable depth in C+ types, some projecting as role players, some as possible regulars if things pan out properly. The exact ranking of players 12 to 26 would vary depending on if you are looking short or long term.

1. Mike Mouse-Tacos - Grade A - He's had some good half seasons but thats usually combined with a BJ/Uggla-esque other half. Good defender. Actually demoted to AAA at one point this year. Jury still out on his career but star has faded a ton.

2. Eric Hosmer - Grade A - Actually looked like a future star in his rookie season. I drafted him in fantasy leagues expecting a breakout in 12 and he **** the bed so to speak. Had a miserable 1.5 seasons after 2011. He looks to have turned it around after George Brett was brought in as hitting coach. He has shown good ability to hit for average but his ability to hit for power might limit is potential.

3. Wil Myers - Grade A - I loved this kid as a prospect way back before he was even drafted. I almost dont fault Dayton Moore for trading him because he saw so many good prospects come up and take years to figure it out or just never be productive at all that I can see his justification for the trade. With the way luck treats the Royals he will go on to be the best ML career of anyone on this list. No one can really say Shields has disappointed and its not wise to judge the trade before its all said and done because they do get another shot next year and when he leaves they will get a draft pick barring a bad 2014 season from Shields. You never know, that could turn into a blessing. The Mets let Hampton go and drafted David Wright with the compensation pick.

4. Danny Duffy - Grade B+/A- - 9 starts in the last 2 years, the results are too small of sample to make a judgement but just 150 innings pitched over the last 3 years does not bode well for the future.

5. Michael Montgomery - Grade B+ - Never really been effective above A ball. Injuries a factor in that.

6. John Lamb - Grade B+ - Same as above

7. Jake Odor-Easy - Grade B+ - Too soon to tell. Probably turns out the best pitcher on the list to add to Royals fans torment. Received in Greinke deal and traded in Shields deal.

8. Jeremy Jeffress - Grade B+ - Converted to reliever. Multiple drug suspensions and got hit hard in limited ML exposure. I believe he is one drug violation away from lifetime ban. Million dollar arm two cent brain.

9. Chris Dwyer - Grade B - Really bad at AA and AAA the last 2 years. Some success at AAA this year but he is 25 and repeating the level.

10. Brett Eibner - Grade B - 25 at AA and hitting like Uggla is now. Stock at Enron levels right now.

11. Christian Colon - Grade B - Was supposed to be a safe pick. Now 24 and a sub .700 OPS at AAA in a league that is known for being a hitters paradise. Not gonna say he wont amount to anything but his prospects are not looking good.

12. Johnny Giavotella - Grade B- - Now 25 and still cant hit a lick in the majors. On the positive side in 100 ML games over the last 3 years he has dont better than BJ has in 2013.

13. Louis Coleman - Grade B- - Above average reliever. Currently in the minors for some reason I dont feel like researching.

14. Aaron Crow - Grade C+ - A good reliever who walks too many to be a closer. Another bad use of a high first round pick

15. Tim Melville - Grade C+ - I liked him coming out of the draft. Has thrown 35 innings the last 2 years. Career looks to be toast right now.

I think you get the drift by now. A couple more spots down the list is Salvador Perez who has turned into a solid stating catcher and Yordano Ventura who is now a highly rated pitching prospect. I believe most of their minor league parks are good hitters parks which some believe hurts the development of their pitchers and makes their hitters over rated. I know the Braves prefer their minor league parks to favor pitchers which has occasionally led to over rated pitching prospects and under rated hitting prospects.

Carp
09-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Royals got unlucky with the injury bug with their top pitchers. And Aaron Crow ended up bring a reliever. There isn't one person 3 yrs ago that thought Mike Montgomery wasn't going to be a legit top of the rotation type of pitcher.

I think the Royals hold on to Shields. They could be in play for someone like Lohse this off-season. And with a wining season, who knows, may be they start a little more money.

They have a good core. I like their future, even if it doesn't include Moore.