PDA

View Full Version : Really good ESPN interview with Coppy on Swanson, prospects, offseason, etc.

UNCBlue012
09-21-2016, 12:42 PM
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=17603102

Coppy is an openbook, but the man is smart. Check this out!

thewupk
09-21-2016, 12:43 PM
summary?

DaneHill
09-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Talked about....

* Difference between calling up Dansby this year (after trading Aybar in a rebuild season) versus calling up Heyward toward the beginning of 2010 (a season in which they were competing).

* The strategy of hitting Dansby 8th to reduce the pressure on him.

* Suntrust Park -- lot friendlier for hitters? maybe or maybe not, will probably be neutral for hitters and pitchers, won't know until they start playing there

* Off-season free agent market -- biggest needs are starting pitching (2 starters) to add stability

* Freeman -- becoming an MVP-caliber player

* Albies -- had surgery "yesterday", spoke with his agent and everything supposedly went as planned; expecting him to come back stronger than ever and isn't far away from the Bigs at all; should be ready to resume baseball activities in January

* New manager -- still plan to look outside as previously noted, but they have been very impressed with Snitker's managing who has only made himself a stronger candidate; the Johns will talk it all through though once the season ends

ramadon101
09-21-2016, 01:12 PM
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=17603102

Coppy is an openbook, but the man is smart. Check this out!

Open book, yes. "Smart" may be subject to debate. What's not up for debate, however, is:

1) Coppy sounds like my 8 year old cousin; and

2) I don't think he's capable of having an interview without singing the praises of the Senior Johns Duo.

Summary:

- Excited about Dansby call up and performance since that time - "doing right by the player" yields results (also brought up Heyward as an example of the org being rewarded by his call up)
- Coppy said the duo Johns wanted to call up Dansby and he was at first surprised by the suggestion but took their recommendation (because he doesn't know everything.. read: I do what I'm told to do)
- Cited Jeff Sullivan at FanGraphs about the Braves offense in the 2nd half - credits Kemp acquisition to change offensive dynamics
- On this offseason: Braves have more money now than in past 10 years - focus will be on starting pitching. Wants to focus on "stable" arms - not writing off prospects, but want two veteran SPs (consistent with what we've read/heard recently).
- On Freeman - doing everything - Coppy thinks he's one of the best pure hitters in the game. Also remains a leader in clubhouse. Reinforced "right arm" comment. Huge part of present and future of org.
- On Albies injury - had surgery yesterday and Coppy spoke with his agent - procedure went as planned. Knowing his makeup Coppy expects him to come back without issue. "He isn't very far away at all" Had hoped he could go to fall league but can resume baseball next January
- On 2017 Manager - still plan to look outside of the organization - but saying that Snit "couldn't have done any better". Played really well in 2nd half. Part of it is calling up Swanson and getting Kemp with increased performances from players. Snit is getting alot of existing roster- and they aren't playing through the motions despite record. Snit has only made a stronger case for himself but remains subject to discussion among all 3 Johns - still do want to talk to external candidates.

UNCBlue012
09-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Sorry, I was at work and couldn't really post a full-length summary! Good insight though.

MadduxFanII
09-21-2016, 04:52 PM
I guess here's my thing about the "two starting pitchers" on the free agent market- didn't we hear at the beginning of the re-build that a big part of our focus on young pitching was that "free agent pitching is the the worst investment in baseball" and that being able to fill a pitching staff with homegrown arms was crucial to avoid setting money on fire in that market? If we're talking about free agent arms in the Harrell/Norris class, that's one thing, but I don't know that you can call those sorts of guys "stable arms."

Enscheff
09-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Copy sited FG? I was assured FO members don't read the fan sites. How could that be?

smootness
09-21-2016, 05:21 PM
I guess here's my thing about the "two starting pitchers" on the free agent market- didn't we hear at the beginning of the re-build that a big part of our focus on young pitching was that "free agent pitching is the the worst investment in baseball" and that being able to fill a pitching staff with homegrown arms was crucial to avoid setting money on fire in that market? If we're talking about free agent arms in the Harrell/Norris class, that's one thing, but I don't know that you can call those sorts of guys "stable arms."

They generally aren't a good investment relative to position players. And yes, eventually the goal is to have young pitching constantly ready to fill in.

But that's not ready yet, so it's not a bad idea, while we have money to play with over the next 2-3 years, to get some decent arms to help fill the rotation.

Also, people hear money to spend and always think FA, but it doesn't have to go that way. Ervin Santana, for example, could be a decent trade candidate, where we're only on the hook for 2 years but have the room to pay him and could get him without giving up top prospects.

chop2chip
09-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Copy sited FG? I was assured FO members don't read the fan sites. How could that be?

He cited Jeff Sullivan's twitter account.

And duh he reads Fangraphs. He's a baseball fan, first and foremost.

clvclv
09-21-2016, 06:06 PM

Nope he CITED FanGraphs - of course you knew that, right?

clvclv
09-21-2016, 06:11 PM

He actually didn't state that they would be looking to add them from the free-agent pool - just that they would be looking to add two SPs. Got kinda lumped into the same response to Buster's question because Buster asked it as one question - "So what about free-agency? What will the Braves be looking to do this offseason?" Coppy said we have more money to spend than we have in 10 years - he didn't say those dollars would strictly be spent on free-agents.

mfree80
09-21-2016, 06:35 PM
He cited Jeff Sullivan's twitter account.

And duh he reads Fangraphs. He's a baseball fan, first and foremost.

Which does not mean that he doesn't have additional sources that we (believe it or not) may not have access to.

chop2chip
09-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Which does not mean that he doesn't have additional sources that we (believe it or not) may not have access to.

Well... yeah. That's obvious.

mfree80
09-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Well... yeah. That's obvious.

To most, but apparently not all of us. :tchop:

nsacpi
09-21-2016, 06:48 PM
we'll shop in a more expensive aisle than the one we found norris...but we're still talking mid-rotation type guys...nova, cashner, anderson, peavy, morton, etc

Horsehide Harry
09-21-2016, 08:12 PM
we'll shop in a more expensive aisle than the one we found norris...but we're still talking mid-rotation type guys...nova, cashner, anderson, peavy, morton, etc

Norris isn't a bad option for a 5, maybe even a 4. He's not the guy you want to have the ball when your trying to win the division, as the Dodgers learned, but he would eat innings, be inexpensive and provide a little veteran leadership. I would prefer him over someone like Jake Peavy at this point since at his age, the likelihood of a career renaissance is low.

What the Braves REALLY need is an ACE (I like Julio, but he is a 2 for me). Unfortunately there won't be any available or will cost a prohibitive amount.

Morton is intriguing because he has always looked like he was one step away from being pretty good. Nova if the price is right. I think Cashner is hurt and am leery about Anderson.

Southcack77
09-21-2016, 09:02 PM
The way Coppy always points to the two Johns regarding any controversial decision is somewhat disconcerting.

That said, he is correct that starting pitching is the weakness of the team and could do the most to improve it.

Horsehide Harry
09-21-2016, 09:10 PM
The way Coppy always points to the two Johns regarding any controversial decision is somewhat disconcerting.

That said, he is correct that starting pitching is the weakness of the team and could do the most to improve it.

The short term weakness is SP. The long term weakness is team power/production. Peterson and Riley really HAVE to come through (and maybe Acuna).

nsacpi
09-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Norris isn't a bad option for a 5, maybe even a 4. He's not the guy you want to have the ball when your trying to win the division, as the Dodgers learned, but he would eat innings, be inexpensive and provide a little veteran leadership. I would prefer him over someone like Jake Peavy at this point since at his age, the likelihood of a career renaissance is low.

What the Braves REALLY need is an ACE (I like Julio, but he is a 2 for me). Unfortunately there won't be any available or will cost a prohibitive amount.

Morton is intriguing because he has always looked like he was one step away from being pretty good. Nova if the price is right. I think Cashner is hurt and am leery about Anderson.

I think the point will be more to accumulate potentially useful (and flippable) assets rather than put together a killer rotation. I see a multi-step process:

1) Sign a couple veteran mid-rotation starters on two to three year deals, hopefully with options included.

2) At some point upgrade the rotation by trading quantity (including possibly one of those mid-rotation starters we acquire this off-season) for quality.

3) As one or more of the high upside arms that just played in Rome achieves major league readiness, upgrade the rotation further.

Horsehide Harry
09-21-2016, 09:46 PM
I think the point will be more to accumulate potentially useful (and flippable) assets rather than put together a killer rotation. I see a multi-step process:

1) Sign a couple veteran mid-rotation starters on two to three year deals, hopefully with options included.

2) At some point upgrade the rotation by trading quantity (including possibly one of those mid-rotation starters we acquire this off-season) for quality.

3) As one or more of the high upside arms that just played in Rome achieves major league readiness, upgrade the rotation further.

Probably right.

I could see the FO taking some short term chances trying to catch value from a rebuilding club that is trying to shed payroll. Maybe a trade with the Twins for Santana and Hughes where the fact that you are willing to take on the injury uncertainty of Hughes gets you Santana at a reduced cost. Hughes had the Thorasic Oultlet surgery so should be OK but his performance is more 3-5 at $13.2M per year through 2019. If you could get Santana for virtually nothing by taking on Hughes, it would answer a couple of issues and potentially be a great deal if Hughes returns to 2014 form (or close). Something along the lines of Whalen for Santana and Hughes with the Braves taking all the payroll (it only works if Minnesota really wants to move Hughes' money) would give you a rotation of:

Teheran, Santana, Folty, Wisler and Hughes (I would pick up Morton as well and start Wisler in AAA if Hughes is ready)

GovClintonTyree
09-21-2016, 10:15 PM

He's still driving with his learners permit.

zbhargrove
09-21-2016, 10:31 PM

There you go with the terrible reading comprehension/middle aged dementia.... Don't know which one because either you can't read or you only remember what you want to remember. People never said they didn't read fan sites, they said they didn't base their decision on fan sites. Not surprised you failed yet again.

zbhargrove
09-21-2016, 10:35 PM
I've gone from not wanting Nova to being big on the Nova train. He's been very good in the NL, has some pretty good stuff, and had success in NY in the past.