PDA

View Full Version : System Depth: Third

nsacpi
09-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Backup: Salcedo, Kubitza, Caratini. There are no prospects in our system who project as starting third basemen. But we have three who project as backup/platoon type players. One is a switch hitter, one a righty, one a lefty. So some platoon possibilities exist. Salcedo has the biggest power potential of the three. He got off to a strong start in Mississippi, but tailed off badly. I expect him to repeat the level in 2014. Kubitza has always had a patient approach at the plate, and added some power this year. Caratini raked with Danville, but his defensive position remains uncertain.

Fringe: Leonard. Big Joe has a very fine glove but the bat hasn't developed. He will repeat in AAA next year. It will be a critical year for him. Either the hitting improves and he goes on to a major league career, or he will turn into organizational filler for the Braves or some other franchise.

Overview: We have Chris Johnson under contractual control for three more years. The arbitration process tends to overvalue players like him who pile up the counting stats and don't bring much defense to the table. Looking at the way the Braves are constructed, it appears that the team will be investing big contracts over the next few years at first, left, right and eventually short. Maybe catcher too. This means they will be looking for ways to save money at the other positions. If opportunities come to move the current incumbents at third, second and center during the next couple years, I think the Braves will be very open to exploring what is out there.

skillet
09-01-2013, 10:35 AM
I think if Caratini sticks at 3rd he could develop into a major league starter. He had a good first year in Danville .290/.415/.430/.845. Victor just turned 20 so he still has plenty of time to develop. I'll be very interested so see how he progresses and if he stays at 3rd. I also like the fact that he is a switch hitter.

Kubitza had a pretty good year in Lynchburg this year and he has an excellent eye as seen with his OBP of .382. But he just turned 23 and will need to be able to do well at Mississippi next year. I agree I think Kyle is a backup/fringe guy.

I've about given up on Salcedo. His hitting is just not progressing and his defense has been just short of terrible. The one guy we have that is great defensively, Leonard, can't hit a lick.

We will offer Chris Johnson arby for one more year, possibly two, but he is not the long term answer at 3rd. I'm really hoping Caratini stays at 3rd and continues to develop. He could be our internal answer in a couple years.