PDA

View Full Version : System Depth: Corner Outfield and First

nsacpi
09-01-2013, 05:06 PM
We're at the end of the defensive spectrum here and I'm going to lump them all together because some of the players play both first and outfield. There are no prospects that I would project to start in the majors as corner outfielders or first basemen.

Backups: Terdoslavich, Gattis, Victor Reyes. Three players with some upside here. Reyes doesn't show the power you need at these positions but given his age (18) has plenty of time to develop. Terdoslavich and Gattis have bats that I like a lot, even with Gattis' recent slump, but have defensive limitations.

Fringe: Elander, Mejia, Hefflinger, Rohm, Beckwith. Elander has the most potential in this group and a case could be made to put him in the backup group. It took him a while to adjust when moved up to High A, but he got going at the end. With the really top prospects, there tends to be less need for an adjustment period after a promotion.

Overview: There is no one in the group above that approaches the trio of Heyward, Justin Upton and Freeman. This reinforces the case to spend big to hold on to those three and go cheap elsewhere if necessary. Those three also made the majors at a young age, which means you can give them a long-term extension with less exposure to their declining years. One of the themes of my look at system depth is that the Braves will likely be looking for chances to go cheap at certain positions so they can hold on to Heyward, Justin Upton and Freeman. This is driven by the quality of those three players relative to internal alternatives.

Teheran_49
09-01-2013, 09:13 PM
I agree. If there is three position players we HAVE to keep it's those three. That's why I also feel this may be B-Mac's last year with us. We just will not be able to give him the 5 yr deal he will look for and get.

50PoundHead
09-02-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm high on Reyes. I think where batting average is still valuable as a talent measure is in the low minors and Reyes has excelled in that measure. He didn't repeat the DSL and he moved up to Danville late in the season. Braves must like him. Rome will be a challenge for a 19-year-old, but indications are he'll be ready for that jump. Power should come.

I don't know why Mejia is on the 40-man roster and I'm not that enamored with Hefflinger. Hefflinger's career arc resembles (drum roll please) Mike Hessman's. Great power, but he has really stalled in AA. Elander is someone to keep on the radar. If I were the Braves, I'd have the catcher's mitt handy for him, not as full-time catcher but as someone who could serve as a 3rd catcher down the road.

Gattis and Terdoslavich's success at the big league level speaks for itself. Should be solid bench staples for years to come.