PDA

View Full Version : Braves to interview Washington and gardenhire

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Per bowman they will be interviewed . We already interviewed TP Perez Snitker and Porter

bravesfanMatt
10-03-2016, 11:23 AM
either would be good choices

Deester11
10-03-2016, 11:24 AM
either would be good choicesdefintely agreed.

sturg33
10-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Bud Black too is getting an interview

bravesfanMatt
10-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Bud Black too is getting an interview

you figured he would. wouldn't be surprised if Marky D. doesn't get one either.

Not sure about Black.. supposed to be good with pitchers, but never did anything with the Friars.. I understand not having anything to work with.. but...

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 11:38 AM
I'd love to have Ron Washington on board.

KB21
10-03-2016, 11:40 AM
It really should be an easy decision to hire Snitker for this job.

Millwood1Hitter
10-03-2016, 11:40 AM
When is Fredi's interview? Everyone deserves a second chance.

CyYoung31
10-03-2016, 11:41 AM
I don't think Washington would like it here. There's not a good bathroom to do coke in.

chop2chip
10-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Ugh... if this is the lot we are attracting, then just give me Snitker.

I was hoping for a more forward looking bunch.

dak
10-03-2016, 12:05 PM
This quote from Snitker gives the impression that both he and the front office have agreed that he'll be retained in some capacity. My best guess is that Bud Black will be offered the job if he interviews well and agrees to make Snitker his bench coach.

smootness
10-03-2016, 12:05 PM
I don't think Washington would like it here. Not enough snow.

UNCBlue012
10-03-2016, 12:12 PM
I'd LOVE to have Washington on board. I'm glad they are on the right track with our choices.

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Out of the choices linked to being interviewed so far:

Internal candidates:

Snitker
T.P.
E. Perez
Bo Porter

External candidates:

Ron Washington
Ron Gardenhire
Bud Black

The list does not include candidates that have been rumored yet such as DeRo, Ross, etc.

Prikichi
10-03-2016, 12:20 PM
I want Ron!

smootness
I don't think there's any way you can hire an internal option over Snitker. So to me, it's either Snitker or an outside hire.

yeezus
Out of the choices linked to being interviewed so far:

Internal candidates:

Snitker
T.P.
E. Perez
Bo Porter

External candidates:

Ron Washington
Ron Gardenhire
Bud Black

The list does not include candidates that have been rumored yet such as DeRo, Ross, etc.

I'd be interested in DeRosa and Ross. I like the idea of not having a retread.
But the players seem to love Snit, so I think you take a bit of a risk if you move on from him after his success.

Enscheff
10-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Wouldn't Washington and/or Gardenhire be a step back towards the stone ages of baseball thinking?

I'm struggling to find good info about any of these candidates other than W/L records.

chop2chip
10-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Wouldn't Washington and/or Gardenhire be a step back towards the stone ages of baseball thinking?

I'm struggling to find good info about any of these candidates other than W/L records.

I had the same thought.

Washington was routinely shredded for his bullpen management in Texas. I'm not that familiar with Gardenhire's strategic tendencies, but I can't imagine they are that forward thinking.

Honest to God, if we aren't going to pursue someone progressive, I would much rather have the throwback guy we already have who has the support of the team currently.

Julio3000
10-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I don't think Washington would like it here. There's not a good bathroom to do coke in.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/i-know-a-wyus84_zps5dbbypzp.jpg

bravesfanMatt
10-03-2016, 12:50 PM
I had the same thought.

Washington was routinely shredded for his bullpen management in Texas. I'm not that familiar with Gardenhire's strategic tendencies, but I can't imagine they are that forward thinking.

Honest to God, if we aren't going to pursue someone progressive, I would much rather have the throwback guy we already have who has the support of the team currently.

IIRC, Washington was a great player's manager. teams loved him. I think he was by the book kind of guy though.. and I agree.. Washington is Snit 2.0 so just keep Snit. Gardenhire, I don't recall much.. just heard some analysis that he is a very headsy baseball guy.. what ever that means..

DaneHill
10-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Walt Weiss and Robin Ventura are available.
:fredi:

chop2chip
10-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Gardenhire, I don't recall much.. just heard some analysis that he is a very headsy baseball guy.. what ever that means..

It means he played the game the white way

bravesfanMatt
10-03-2016, 12:58 PM

:HeywardWut:

yeezus
10-03-2016, 01:00 PM

or, the (Walt) Weiss way.

DaneHill
10-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I think I'm secretly rooting for DeRosa, but I couldn't tell you why. I just find myself curious at the thought of a young smart guy like that managing the team. Maybe because it's a completely new and fresh way of Braves thinking to go along with the new stadium. I'm ready for the Braves Way chapter to close with The Ted. And a new Cubs / Red Sox Way to be ushered in! Wait, can I say Cubs yet or do I need to wait for them to break the curse first?

Enscheff
10-03-2016, 01:08 PM
I had the same thought.

I have to agree with this 100%. I think I would like to see Dave Martinez in charge after spending years under Maddon, but if they are going to go old school they may as well go old school with the guy who's earned his shot with unblinking loyalty.

If someone would just sit Snitker down and explain why batting Garcia 2nd is a bad idea (and proves he can learn some basics) he would be fine.

BlackwaterPark
10-03-2016, 01:09 PM
I think I'm secretly rooting for DeRosa, but I couldn't tell you why. I just find myself curious at the thought of a young smart guy like that managing the team. Maybe because it's a completely new and fresh way of Braves thinking to go along with the new stadium. I'm ready for the Braves Way chapter to close with The Ted. And a new Cubs / Red Sox Way to be ushered in! Wait, can I say Cubs yet or do I need to wait for them to break the curse first?

I kinda am on the same page. I kinda want someone new and fresh, not someone that got fired somewhere else.

bravesnumberone
10-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Of the internal candidates, I don't see any reason for Pendleton, Perez or Porter to get it over Snitker.

I like Washington. Seems a little out of the box for the Braves whereas Gardenhire would be a classic Braves hire. Bud Black, I don't really know.

With Weiss out, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fredi take a stab at that job.

The Chosen One
10-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Pendleton apparently had the best interview of the 4 internals.

Hudson2
10-03-2016, 03:05 PM
I'd like to see Derosa interviewed too.

rico43
10-03-2016, 03:08 PM
This quote from Snitker gives the impression that both he and the front office have agreed that he'll be retained in some capacity. My best guess is that Bud Black will be offered the job if he interviews well and agrees to make Snitker his bench coach.

When he was promoted, he was promised that, at the least, he could return to Gwinnett in 2017.

jpx7
10-03-2016, 03:15 PM

And it's a long climb up to the broadcast booth.

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 03:18 PM
And it's a long climb up to the broadcast booth.

Luckily with the stadium not yet complete, a private elevator and bathroom could be installed upon request

DaneHill
10-03-2016, 03:20 PM

Aw yeah, I smell two vintage Atlanta Braves media guides coming my way! :dance:

bravesfanMatt
10-03-2016, 03:30 PM
DOB also said on Twitter, "Braves made it clear they won't hire 1st time manager after job Snit did" Take that in your Marky D pipe and smoke it...But that honestly sounds like DOB speculation too. I don't always believe DOB!!

Enscheff
10-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Where can I follow along with this info as it progresses?

Hudson2
10-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Bob Nightengale saying Bud Black is the leading candidate.

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Seems reasonable to assume based off the love fest the Braves appear to have for him. But I think Washington would be a great fit here.....

1. Washington
2. Snitker
3. Black

Probably my top 3 in that order at the moment. If they consider first time manager, then i'd have to go

1. Washington
2. David Ross
3. Brian Snitker

striker42
10-03-2016, 04:42 PM
This shouldn't even be a hard decision. Snitker did a tremendous job with this team. All the players love him and the team was playing at a level none of us thought imaginable. Why upset that?

If Coppy hires Bud Black or someone else outside the team then I think it will be more about Coppy wanting to bring in his own guy to put his own stamp on the team. I just can't see what any candidate out there would bring that would be better than what Snitker had going on here. We're finally starting to see results from the rebuild so why change horses now?

VirginiaBrave
10-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Wish they would just hire Snit. Messing with team chemistry is not smart at this stage. Two good free agent signings and this is a possible playoff team.

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 05:01 PM
reading an article out of Oakland, it seems like Washington is known for his good work developing infielders. That would make sense with guys like Swanson, Albies, Garcia, and Freeman....Bud Black, from what I hear, is good with developing pitchers. So it seems like all 3 of the major candidates (Snit, Black, Washington) all bring something to the table in terms of good value.

Coach_Chris
10-03-2016, 05:11 PM

You win the award for best cocaine usage joke.

AerchAngel
10-03-2016, 05:17 PM
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/i-know-a-wyus84_zps5dbbypzp.jpg

I don't know why, but that pic scares the hell out of me. Like Jack Nick in The Shining when he put his inside the room.

jpx7
10-03-2016, 05:21 PM
I am by no means a big Snitker proponent, but at the same time I must admit I don't really see the big appeal of Bud Black.

DaneHill
10-03-2016, 05:25 PM
I am by no means a big Snitker proponent, but at the same time I must admit I don't really see the big appeal of Bud Black.

Race appeal. He's both white and black. :wut:

jpx7
10-03-2016, 05:39 PM
He's both white and black. :wut:

Indeed, it's quite the riddle, the Braves' fascination with him.

Fredi Gonzalez
10-03-2016, 06:28 PM
When is Fredi's interview? Everyone deserves a second chance.

Next week..... with Arizona.

Managuarantano's Volunteers
10-03-2016, 07:16 PM
I hope we hire that Boston guy or maybe keep Snitker. Don't know anything about Gardenhire though.

CrimsonCowboy
10-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Nightengale, at least to me, seems to be one of the better insiders. From what I have seen, he seems to know the Braves well, so this seems very believable to me.

bravesnumberone
10-03-2016, 08:13 PM
If we get Washington, this will be posted after every Braves win.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/778180/walkoffwash.gif

thewupk
10-03-2016, 08:34 PM
If we get Washington, this will be posted after every Braves win.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/778180/walkoffwash.gif

cocaine is a helluva drug

Braves1976
10-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Ron Washington is a good players coach but he hates all the new advanced stats and refuses to use them. That was part of the reason him and JD (Rangers GM) butted heads in the past before he left. However, I do like Ron and how excited he gets on the bench.

bravesnumberone
10-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Reading the players' quotes about Snitker makes it really difficult to not lean toward him as the guy. Ultimately, you want someone the team is going to respect and play hard for. The other thing to think about, though, is how will they play when the pressure is turned up a little more so to speak and the team is expected to contend?

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Under his staff who would be some of his coaches....? Otis Nixon as hitting coach, chip carray as bench coach?

bravesfanforlife88
10-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Reading the players' quotes about Snitker makes it really difficult to not lean toward him as the guy. Ultimately, you want someone the team is going to respect and play hard for. The other thing to think about, though, is how will they play when the pressure is turned up a little more so to speak and the team is expected to contend?

And I think that's why I lean on the side of a Ron Washington. He led teams to consecutive WS appearances in TX.

Don't get me wrong Snit did a great job.

Braves1976
10-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Bud Black would still be my choice of those named.

CyYoung31
10-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Bud Black has always been my choice, once I realized it was time to get Fredi out the door a couple years back. He's 100% player's manager in the vein of Bobby Cox and Bruce Bochy. You can't go wrong with that. He won 90 games with a suspect Padres team in 2010, and is great with pitching staffs and bullpens.

Other than that, just give Snitker the job. Player loyalty and respect is the most important thing when it comes to baseball managers.

Julio3000
10-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Jordan Schafer wants Bud.

Horsehide Harry
10-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Think Weiss gets it if Bobby has any part in the process.

bravesfanMatt
10-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Jordan Schafer wants Bud.

Heard his vote gave Washington a bump too..

bravesnumberone
10-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Washington is certainly high up the scale.

Horsehide Harry
10-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Washington is certainly high up the scale.

He's probably behind the eight ball

Prikichi
10-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Under his staff who would be some of his coaches....? Otis Nixon as hitting coach, chip carray as bench coach?

Darryl Strawberry - 1st base coach
Dwight Gooden - Pitching coach
Keith Hernandez at 3rd

KB21
10-03-2016, 10:06 PM
1. Brian Snitker
2. Ron Washington
3. Bud Black

I don't see how Snitker doesn't get this job though. If they pass on giving it to Snitker, they are going to have to explain the reasoning to every player on this team. I think it runs the risk of tearing down what was built up over the last 3 months of the season.

If they would interview him, I'd have Ron Roenicke high on the list. Probably right behind Snitker.

yeezus
10-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Keith Hernandez at 3rd

you gonna help him move and drive him to the airport?

50PoundHead
10-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Gardenhire is dumber than a chicken.

If they hire Washington, I imagine Chip will be doing all the post-game interviews.

List looks decent. I'm not that much of an advanced stats guy, but I would still like them to go outside the organization. I like our return to a more traditional scouting/player development approach, but we could use an infusion of some new blood at the big league level.

yeezus
10-04-2016, 07:45 AM
David Ross is probably my number 1 choice overall. Especially after playing for Maddon.

The Chosen One
10-04-2016, 07:47 AM
David Ross is probably my number 1 choice overall. Especially after playing for Maddon.

He's played for a HoF manager and two great managers. Bobby, Maddon and Fredi.

dak
10-04-2016, 08:43 AM
I continue to think Bud Black has the edge. That approach allows you to keep Snitker as bench coach, gives you a more experienced manager, and gives you another senior member of the organization that brings something to the table on pitching development.

Metaphysicist
10-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Don't know anything about Gardenhire though.

Imagine Bobby Cox, but just kinda ****tier in every way. Like how Rick Reed was the "poor man's Greg Maddux."

50PoundHead
10-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Imagine Bobby Cox, but just kinda ****tier in every way. Like how Rick Reed was the "poor man's Greg Maddux."

That's it in a nutshell. If Gardenhire were managing the Braves, Keith Lockhart would still be getting ABs for them.

striker42
10-04-2016, 09:05 AM
I continue to think Bud Black has the edge. That approach allows you to keep Snitker as bench coach, gives you a more experienced manager, and gives you another senior member of the organization that brings something to the table on pitching development.

That's my take too. I get the feeling that Snitker was put in there as a place holder and no one expected him to do that well. However, even with his success he still isn't one of Coppy's guys. I think Black has the inside edge because of that.

KB21
10-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Gardenhire is dumber than a chicken.

If they hire Washington, I imagine Chip will be doing all the post-game interviews.

List looks decent. I'm not that much of an advanced stats guy, but I would still like them to go outside the organization. I like our return to a more traditional scouting/player development approach, but we could use an infusion of some new blood at the big league level.

I agree with you that I don't really care for the advanced stats approach, but I'm not sure why you think the team should go outside the organization when Brian Snitker did a better job with this bunch than anyone could have dreamed about.

Chico
10-04-2016, 10:27 AM

I'm thinking whomever we get will be a seasoned guy, and we will keep Snitker on as the bench coach and confidante.

MadduxFanII
10-04-2016, 10:28 AM
What I keep coming back to with Snitker is that when we fired Fredi, there wasn't exactly a torrent of sympathy for the guy, but the overwhelming sentiment was that no one could do anything with the club he was handed. And while there were some changes to the team after Snitker took over (Kemp, most notably), it was pretty similar to the team that Fredi managed at a 39-win pace. And Snitker managed it at a 77-win pace. Considering how things looked after the first month and a half, that's nothing short of miraculous.

smootness
10-04-2016, 10:36 AM
The good thing is that Snitker will almost certainly become the bench coach or something else at the major league level even if he's not named permanent manager. So I doubt you would have players very upset, he wouldn't actually be going anywhere. And you could potentially get the advantages of having him around while adding add the advantages someone else would bring.

I am fine with keeping Snitker on as permanent manager at this point, but I'm also fine if they bring someone else in. I'm not sure why Bud Black seems to be the clear favorite, but whatever.

KB21
10-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I guess one thing that Bud Black has in his corner is that he was a player for John Schuerholz in Kansas City and for John Hart in Cleveland. Even so, how do you just ignore what Snitker did and the rapport he has with his players?

bravesfanforlife88
10-04-2016, 12:36 PM
I am hoping that the manager search is wrapped up before the WS ends. That way we can officially go into the offseason with our focus on improving the roster

bravesfanMatt
10-04-2016, 12:36 PM
to me, they have already ask Snit if he would be bench coach if they hired Black. I have a feeling it will be Black with Snit as bench coach. Players get what they want, FO gets what they want.

dak
10-04-2016, 12:49 PM

Bud Black is the front runner for the Atlanta Braves managerial opening according to a source involved in their search. With the Braves Farm System loaded with top pitching prospects and Black's long successful track record of handling, developing and procuring arms, he certainly appears to be the best fit of all the candidates they've interviewed to date. Black's ability to win one run games in his previous stint as San Diego Padres skipper helps as well. Black also has a strong personal and professional relationship with team President John Hart. Black has exceptional people skills and relates well with both field and front office personnel. The Braves also have interviewed Ron Washington, Bo Porter, Eddie Perez, Terry Pendleton and Brian Snitker.

UNCBlue012
10-04-2016, 12:50 PM

I'd be happy with Black. No issues here.

BedellBrave
10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
to me, they have already ask Snit if he would be bench coach if they hired Black. I have a feeling it will be Black with Snit as bench coach. Players get what they want, FO gets what they want.

Yep, this is the way it looks like it is shaking out.

50PoundHead
10-04-2016, 02:18 PM
I agree with you that I don't really care for the advanced stats approach, but I'm not sure why you think the team should go outside the organization when Brian Snitker did a better job with this bunch than anyone could have dreamed about.

I guess I want some fresh eyes in the organization. I think things have become ossified to some extent. I frankly don't know if Bud Black would be the answer and I worry that his ideas on pitching may conflict with Roger's.

The Chosen One
10-04-2016, 02:23 PM
I guess I want some fresh eyes in the organization. I think things have become ossified to some extent. I frankly don't know if Bud Black would be the answer and I worry that his ideas on pitching may conflict with Roger's.

I'd be curious if Roger even has a job... bringing Black in kind of negates need for Roger unless Roger is just there to be there.

thewupk
10-04-2016, 02:24 PM
I'd be curious if Roger even has a job... bringing Black in kind of negates need for Roger unless Roger is just there to be there.

I can see that. Team may not be pleased at how the young guys have been doing at the MLB level and want a change.

The Chosen One
10-04-2016, 02:27 PM
I can see that. Team may not be pleased at how the young guys have been doing at the MLB level and want a change.

It's unfortunate though. Roger has helped develop a lot of bullpen and starters. Unfortunately for him we got hit hard with injuries to Medlen, Beachy, Minor, Venters, etc. Jurrjens was another solid development.

yeezus
10-04-2016, 02:32 PM
I personally blame bad luck for all the pitching injuries we've had, much more so than anything Roger has been doing.

bravesfanforlife88
10-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Well I'm sure the new manager if it is not snit would like his own staff

50PoundHead
10-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Well I'm sure the new manager if it is not snit would like his own staff

True enough. I just think Roger has done a pretty good job.

bravesfanforlife88
10-04-2016, 03:03 PM
True enough. I just think Roger has done a pretty good job.

He has done a pretty good job and has gotten several good reviews from players, I.E. Jim Johnson. I think that Seitzer has done a great job with our hitters. Outside of that, I would be okay with a new 3b coach, bench coach (if not Snit), and first base coach if he wanted to bring some of his own guys.

chop2chip
10-04-2016, 03:18 PM
I hope they keep Perez in the organization. He seems like a really likable person and would be a really valuable asset to the young Latin players coming up. Besides, I thought his chest bumps at first base were cool.

smootness
10-04-2016, 04:26 PM
I think McDowell has been pretty great as pitching coach.

chop2chip
10-04-2016, 04:50 PM
I think McDowell has been pretty great as pitching coach.

I think he's been good, but I can't really point to many recent examples of pitchers, other than Jim Johnson, where he's made an obvious impact (keyword, obvious)

I would love for him to be retained, but it also wouldn't hurt my feelings if he left. Given the choice, I would prioritize Seitzer.

Enscheff
10-04-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure how good Black would be, but the thing that worries me is he was rumord to have the job before Fredi was even fired:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2016/5/4/11591020/atlanta-braves-fredi-gonzalez-fired-bud-black

This smells exactly like the Fredi hiring, when everyone knew he had the job before Cox even retired. This looks like another move by the "good old boys club" to hire another one of Hart's buddies.

I'd much rather see a guy like Dave Martinez or Lovullo (sp?) given a real chance.

bravesnumberone
10-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Did I read somewhere on here Black has a strong connection with John Hart? That probably tells you all you need to know. It does smell a lot like the same ole "club" thing referenced above.

CyYoung31
10-04-2016, 08:54 PM

So...Fredi?

nsacpi
10-04-2016, 10:29 PM
The good thing is that Snitker will almost certainly become the bench coach or something else at the major league level even if he's not named permanent manager. So I doubt you would have players very upset, he wouldn't actually be going anywhere. And you could potentially get the advantages of having him around while adding add the advantages someone else would bring.

I think this kind of arrangement could be problematic. The bond Snitker has developed with the players is something that would put the new manager (Bud Black or whoever) in an awkward position. Whenever he has to make a controversial decision, there would be some mumbles in the clubhouse about how Snitker would have done it differently. It would place both Snitker and Black in a difficult situation

Runnin
10-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Winning %

Bud Black .477
B. Snitker .476

Runnin
10-04-2016, 10:42 PM
Online poll for new manager at AJC. (http://jeffschultz.blog.myajc.com/2016/10/04/snitker-was-good-but-bud-black-may-be-braves-choice-poll/)

Snit getting 72% of the votes so far. I'm inclined to think that this poll matters.

rico43
10-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Notable that Darren Balsley was pitching coach during Black's entire run in San Diego, and he's still there.

bravesfanforlife88
10-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Washington interviewed or is interviewing today with the braves

emk418
10-05-2016, 09:55 PM
I want Bud Black. But fine if we go Snitker

Millwood1Hitter
10-05-2016, 10:19 PM
BRAVE NEW WORLD

Manager: Bud Black
Bench Coach: Brian Snitker
Advanced Analytics Assistant Mgr: DeRosa
Hitting Coach: Kevin Seitzer
Asst Hitting Coach: Chipper Jones
Pitching Coach: Roger McDowell
First Base Coach: Terry Pendleton
Third Base Coach: Fredi Gonzalez
Bullpen Coach: Eddie Perez
Infielder Coach: Keith Lockhart
Outfield Coach: Trinidad Hubbard

The Chosen One
10-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Lockhart should get the job.

bravesfanforlife88
10-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Sources say it is down to 3 candidates: Snitker black and Washington who did really well in his interview and has known JS for 50 years.

Decision likely to be made this week

thewupk
10-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Sources say it is down to 3 candidates: Snitker black and Washington who did really well in his interview and has known JS for 50 years.

Decision likely to be made this week

I'd want Black or Washington.

ixiXSolidXixi
10-08-2016, 09:02 PM
I really hope is Black or Washington. We need a manager with experiences.

bravesnumberone
10-08-2016, 09:30 PM
I really hope is Black or Washington. We need a manager with experiences.

Washington has certainly had experiences!

Garmel
10-08-2016, 09:57 PM

It's going to get really interesting when Washington finds Chip's stash.

CyYoung31
10-08-2016, 11:32 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/585234218478743552/TNP8zQdV.jpg

Julio3000
10-09-2016, 07:19 AM

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/ae4c200d-7de0-451b-ac6a-922dd4c0cadb_zpsn9mqw5kl.jpg

NYCBrave
10-09-2016, 07:34 AM

I thing that really scares me about Washington are the personal issues. How sure are we they are a thing of the past?

KB21
10-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Didn't realize this:

Washington has experienced more success as a manager than either Snitker or Black, though he had plenty of talent at his disposal in Texas. Between Washington’s hiring in 2007 and his resignation in 2014, the Rangers went 664-611 and made three playoff trips – two of which resulted in American League pennants. After leaving Texas, Washington took over as the Athletics’ third base coach in 2015. Notably, the 64-year-old has a connection that goes back nearly 50 years with Braves president John Schuerholz. When Washington signed with the Royals in 1970, Schuerholz was a member of the club’s front office. More recently, Braves president of baseball operations John Hart was an executive in Texas when Washington managed there.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/braves-deciding-on-three-managerial-candidates.html

Coach_Chris
10-09-2016, 10:42 AM
I thing that really scares me about Washington are the personal issues. How sure are we they are a thing of the past?

We don't and can not be sure.

50PoundHead
10-09-2016, 10:46 AM

Admittedly, they're nothing to sniff at.

Krgrecw
10-09-2016, 05:37 PM
If a guy was good enough to coach wouldn't he already have a job and why would he had been fired from a previous job? Why want a guy who couldn't cut it somewhere else? Try someone new with a fresh set of ideas not a has been.

bravesfanMatt
10-09-2016, 06:06 PM
If a guy was good enough to coach wouldn't he already have a job and why would he had been fired from a previous job? Why want a guy who couldn't cut it somewhere else? Try someone new with a fresh set of ideas not a has been.

I agree. I think. Wait. Maybe not. I really don't know what you said.

Hudson2
10-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Every good manager has been fired or left at one point. That wouldn't stop me from hiring someone.

Braves1976
10-09-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure how good Black would be, but the thing that worries me is he was rumord to have the job before Fredi was even fired:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2016/5/4/11591020/atlanta-braves-fredi-gonzalez-fired-bud-black

This smells exactly like the Fredi hiring, when everyone knew he had the job before Cox even retired. This looks like another move by the "good old boys club" to hire another one of Hart's buddies.

I'd much rather see a guy like Dave Martinez or Lovullo (sp?) given a real chance.

All those being considered are JS and Hart's buddies, so for me it comes down to who is the least likely to go down the "good old boys" club road on everything and do what is best to move forward. I'd say that is Bud Black and that those are against the good old boys club and want a real change should support Black among the choices. Do I wish they'd interviewed and considered more? Sure but I never expected them to knowing their track record. Bottom line for me is Black is the only one that really considers advanced stats and he does have a well documented and solid track record with pitchers, which is where we need the most help IMO. Washington while a very likable man cost his team a world series by refusing to take Cruz out on defense for a better defender and later on clashed with GM John Daniels over using advanced stats. Washington is so "old school" that he's said in the past he hates advanced stats. Snitker is a players coach so of course they like him but even his track record in the minors isn't impressive. Doing well with no pressure once you're out of it doesn't tell me a lot. Plus he is obviously someone that is going to do what he's told and isn't going to bring any real lasting change. That is also why the Bill Shanks types love him so much.

To sum it up, I'm hoping for Black because he is the best of the choices we've been allowed to consider.

auyushu
10-09-2016, 07:24 PM
To sum it up, I'm hoping for Black because he is the best of the choices we've been allowed to consider.

Agreed all around on what you said. In addition to Snitker being more of the same of what we've had forever, what he did with our bullpen this year wouldn't fly long term. He'd blow out our relievers arms and/or have them exhausted by the end of the year.

Black is really a great choice with all the young pitching we will have coming up.

Braves1976
10-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Agreed all around on what you said. In addition to Snitker being more of the same of what we've had forever, what he did with our bullpen this year wouldn't fly long term. He'd blow out our relievers arms and/or have them exhausted by the end of the year.

Black is really a great choice with all the young pitching we will have coming up.

My thoughts exactly. I started to add that about the bullpen but I didn't because usually that starts arguments on here and I'm tired of the same old arguments to be honest.

NinersSBChamps
10-09-2016, 07:55 PM
So people here hate on Padres and say they have been awful which is accurate, but want to hire their former manager who has a sub .500 record?

KB21
10-09-2016, 09:26 PM
The most important aspect of managing a baseball team is how you handle the clubhouse. All three candidates at this point have good reputations for this, but for this particular job, no one is better served than Brian Snitker in this aspect. The three C's of coaching are character, competency, and connection, and Brian Snitker aces these three C's in spades.

bravesfanforlife88
10-10-2016, 10:41 AM
DOB and Bowman both now reporting that the Braves are close to finalizing their manager search, both have reason to believe that Snitker is going to land the job

VirginiaBrave
10-10-2016, 10:52 AM
That would be good news he deserves it.

GovClintonTyree
10-10-2016, 11:00 AM
DOB and Bowman both now reporting that the Braves are close to finalizing their manager search, both have reason to believe that Snitker is going to land the job

I'm a little surprised by this. When they were insistent they were considering outsiders, I figured they we likely to go with an outsider. Then when Roger was axed, I figured Balsley was on his way and it was a matter of time before they tabbed Bud Black. I'm not sure the manager has a huge impact on W/L, but there's no denying they came together under Snitker.

CrimsonCowboy
10-10-2016, 11:10 AM
If Bowman says Snitker, then Black is getting the job.:happy0157:

bravesfanforlife88
10-10-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm a little surprised by this. When they were insistent they were considering outsiders, I figured they we likely to go with an outsider. Then when Roger was axed, I figured Balsley was on his way and it was a matter of time before they tabbed Bud Black. I'm not sure the manager has a huge impact on W/L, but there's no denying they came together under Snitker.

Have to agree. Thought it was a nice gesture to Snitker to appoint him interim manager over TP or Eddie.....but I was not happy with his use his roster and bullpen management during the season....would much prefer someone like Bud Black or Washington with Snitker as bench coach or something

Enscheff
10-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Hopefully the FO didn't mettle too much during this season because Snit was only interim, and if he gets the title officially they will do more to try to prepare him tactically. Things like batting Garcia 2nd prove Snit is not competent at that part of the job.

Additionally, this move likely means Coppy was once again overruled by the Johns just like he was with the desicion to call up Swanson. The Braves just can't shake the "Braves Way" good old boys club no matter how hard Coppy seems to be trying to make it happen.

Ultimately I think Snit will be fine, but the analytics department needs to be given more power to show him how to make optimal in game moves.

bravesfanMatt
10-10-2016, 11:16 AM
If Bowman says Snitker, then Black is getting the job.:happy0157:

I think Bowman thought his gut was saying snitkers instead of snickers.

smootness
10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Additionally, this move likely means Coppy was once again overruled by the Johns just like he was with the desicion to call up Swanson. The Braves just can't shake the "Braves Way" good old boys club no matter how hard Coppy seems to be trying to make it happen.

Not at all true.

KB21
10-10-2016, 12:59 PM
It is funny how Snit's tactical managing is criticized, ignoring the fact that the team outperformed expectations under his management.

He handles the clubhouse well and pushes the right buttons on his players, but because he doesn't sit there and manage off a spread sheet, he's not any good.

I'll take Brian Snitker's instinct over anyone's spread sheet.

smootness
10-10-2016, 01:09 PM
It is funny how Snit's tactical managing is criticized, ignoring the fact that the team outperformed expectations under his management.

He handles the clubhouse well and pushes the right buttons on his players, but because he doesn't sit there and manage off a spread sheet, he's not any good.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

Those numbers are interesting for us. It says that we were ever-so-slightly better than you would expect given our actual RS/RA but slightly worse than you would expect given our projected runs scored.

Neither number is definitive, but it suggests we ended up about where you would think we would have. Of course, these numbers also include Fredi's tenure to start the year, so that has to be accounted for as well. But I'm not sure you can just flatly say that the team outperformed expectations under Snitker. We certainly outperformed where we had been to start the year before he took over, but beyond expectations in general? I don't know.

And it's also hard to know how much to credit a manager for scoring more runs than you might think, for instance. We had a worse run differential over the course of the year than we projected to have, based on the underlying statistics we put up, but we also won slightly more games than you would expect given the run differential we actually posted.

Regardless, as I've said, I'm fine with Snitker being named manager. I think he's really good for the clubhouse, which is probably the most important thing for a manager.

chop2chip
10-10-2016, 02:08 PM

It's possible to be a good manager with sub-optimal tactical strategy, which I and nearly everyone concedes was true of Snitker this year.

It also doesn't excuse Snitker from refining his tactics as a manager. The good news is that its by far the easiest thing to improve upon as manager.

Tapate50
10-10-2016, 02:20 PM
From what I saw at the end of the year... I can't complain one bit about this if true. Good on Snit.

nsacpi
10-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Snit is a good baseball man.

KB21
10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Snitker is the leading candidate. This is being widely reported now.

striker42
10-10-2016, 04:07 PM
The way this team looked under Snit was close to how they looked under Cox. Steady, consistent, professional.

drewdat
10-10-2016, 04:58 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/72318877.jpg

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/205645626/braves-near-naming-brian-snitker-manager/

CrimsonCowboy
10-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Its looking like Snitker to me as well.

The Chosen One
10-10-2016, 06:14 PM
If Snitker is in makes me wonder why McDowell was let go... gonna be hard to replace him.

KB21
10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Marty Reed will replace McDowell.

UNCBlue012
10-10-2016, 07:34 PM
BREAKING: Source tells #FOX5Sports that #BrianSnitker will be named manager of the #AtlantaBraves #FOX5Atl

It's a legit account lol

CrimsonCowboy
10-10-2016, 07:46 PM

Heyward
10-10-2016, 08:10 PM
the team did play better for him, we shall see.

nsacpi
10-10-2016, 08:17 PM
the players gave him a very strong endorsement

KB21
10-10-2016, 10:08 PM
http://media.jrn.com/images/092910webapcox_5316199_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

sc1767
10-11-2016, 12:38 AM
I thought they were rewarding Snitker for his loyalty when they gave him the reins and that would be that. Good for him.

UNCBlue012
10-11-2016, 04:55 AM
I thought they were rewarding Snitker for his loyalty when they gave him the reins and that would be that. Good for him.

Yeah, it's really hard not to give it to him with his strong effort the second half. Personally, I go with Bud in a heartbeat, but I understand. Chemistry is really important, especially with young guys.

goldfly
10-11-2016, 07:56 AM
so, they are about to announce we hired another one of the good old boys that bobby loves?

i love bobby but wish his influence wasn't anywhere near the front office

GovClintonTyree
10-11-2016, 08:52 AM
http://media.jrn.com/images/092910webapcox_5316199_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Well, KB, one year with an option isn't an all-in head over heels commitment, but it's a start, right?

If they play for him like that did this year, that'll take care of itself soon enough. I don't like the overuse of the bullpen, but that's quibbling and really just the way the game is managed today.

Congrats to your boy. He earned it.