View Full Version : Movie Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

zitothebrave
07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Donnie Darko is an overrated POS

Discuss

Metaphysicist
07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
I can't believe they made a sequel. I just... why?

Julio3000
07-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm aware that it happened, but not really prepared to acknowledge it.

zitothebrave
07-04-2013, 10:37 AM
I can't believe they made a sequel. I just... why?

I can't believe they made the first one. It's such an overrated POS

DaneHill
07-04-2013, 10:48 AM
How dare you diss Jake, sir. How dare you.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg319/dane323/DonnieDarko_zps74c19a5f.jpg

The Chosen One
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Zito, I have to be honest with you... that lowercase spelling of your name is really aggravating me. Throwing off my ki.

DaneHill
07-05-2013, 12:22 AM
The Impossible - If you haven't seen it yet, add it to your must-see list. Naomi Watts. Ewan McGregor. Based on true story from the Boxing Day tsunami. Gut-wrenching stuff.

Carp
07-05-2013, 02:42 AM
Impossible was really good. Really emotional.

Thought Man of Steel was a really good movie, but there wasn't a whole of difference from Superman 2, which was a little sad considering it was a reboot. But the acting was fantastic and they put their own original touch to it. Hoping they somehow incorporate Dooms Day into one of the sequels

zitothebrave
07-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Impossible was really good. Really emotional.

Thought Man of Steel was a really good movie, but there wasn't a whole of difference from Superman 2, which was a little sad considering it was a reboot. But the acting was fantastic and they put their own original touch to it. Hoping they somehow incorporate Dooms Day into one of the sequels

Pretty much everyone I know who saw Man of Steel and is a movie buff or comic nerd didn't like it. Basically said they tried to make Superman Batman and failed. Not to mentino the big faux pas at the end.

Bj1133
07-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Went to see White House Down this past week - exactly what you would think it would be - plenty of action and explosions - stupid catchphrases (Get. Your. Hands. Off. My. Jordans! - could never be pulled off by a white dude)

I'm interested to see what the Wolverine movie is like - I was a big X-Men fan growing up and I've always been a little disappointed with the movies that feature them.

bravesnumberone
07-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Most recent movie I saw in the theaters was This Is The End. Laughed my balls off.

Gary82
07-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Donnie Darko is an overrated POS

Discuss

It really was. That was a big hit when I was in college, and I just got sick of hearing people talk about it. Another one that I just didn't care for was Being John Malkovich.

AUTiger7222
07-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Most recent movie I saw in the theaters was This Is The End. Laughed my balls off.

I saw it. I didn't like it.

elmonthc
07-06-2013, 04:51 PM
It wasnt overrated. Jake whatever his last name is just sux.

Ive always thought the shawshank redemption was overrated.

bravesnumberone
07-06-2013, 10:15 PM
I stumbled across Requiem for a Dream on a movie channel the other night. Still consider it to be the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

I never got the whole Donnie Darko obsession either.

CyYoung31
07-06-2013, 10:23 PM
I just watched Punching the Clown on Netflix last night. One of the funniest movies that I've seen in a while. I recommend checking it out, especially if you're a music fan.

The Chosen One
07-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Is anyone into foreign films?

I've been buying a lot of movies from the "Criterion Collection". They're mainly foreign movies, non-blockbuster status, and a lot of small-time indy films.

A lot of them are Oscar Foreign winners from decades ago.

BlackwaterPark
07-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Same here. I loved all their other movies, this one just didnt do anything for me

I saw it. I didn't like it.

zitothebrave
07-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Expendables 2 is the best movie of all time.

ESP47
07-16-2013, 01:21 AM

Yeah it was hilarious if you like toilet humor. What's even funnier are the people that diss it because of the toilet humor. I mean do people really show up to movies like this thinking it's going to be some smart and clever comedy?

rico43
07-16-2013, 12:55 PM
It wasnt overrated. Jake whatever his last name is just sux.

Ive always thought the shawshank redemption was overrated.

Wow. How so? I admit I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Morgan Freeman does, but...

rico43
07-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Expendables 2 is the best movie of all time.

Even Stallone didn't like it that much. You're probably being sacastic, but I liked the first one much more. Stallone felt they eased off the throttle too much to make Chuck Norris happy. This time around, no Norris and he's talking about getting Mel Gibson to direct! And Jackie Chan! Now THAT movie has potential.

zitothebrave
07-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Even Stallone didn't like it that much. You're probably being sacastic, but I liked the first one much more. Stallone felt they eased off the throttle too much to make Chuck Norris happy. This time around, no Norris and he's talking about getting Mel Gibson to direct! And Jackie Chan! Now THAT movie has potential.

It was highly sarcastic. But it was great. As far as the first vs the second. Jean-Claude Van Damme was freaking hilarious as the villain and the kills were even more ridiculous. I approach the Expendables movies as basically a shoutout to the ridiculous 80s action movies. Norris was absurd but he was enjoyable as well. I mean he made a Chuck Norris joke in the movie and it worked.

The Chosen One
07-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Watched the Conjuring twice.

Jesus Christ.

Scared the living **** out of me.

Haven't been that legitimately scared of a horror movie in a very very long time.

Dalyn
07-23-2013, 03:18 AM
The Conjuring is definitely a good one.

jpx7
07-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Is anyone into foreign films?

I've been buying a lot of movies from the "Criterion Collection". They're mainly foreign movies, non-blockbuster status, and a lot of small-time indy films.

Criterion is the tits. I just watched my Criterion blu-ray of Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux this weekend (after coming home from US Cellular). Great film — though not as masterful as Modern Times (obviously), or The Great Dictator, which is an amazing film that I also just saw via Criterion's blu-ray release.

DjGrizz
07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Just watched the original Evil Dead for the first time. Scotty is such a flamboyant sob

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Criterion is the tits. I just watched my Criterion blu-ray of Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux this weekend (after coming home from US Cellular). Great film — though not as masterful as Modern Times (obviously), or The Great Dictator, which is an amazing film that I also just saw via Criterion's blu-ray release.

Good to know someone else here collects Criterion Blu Rays.

Barnes and Noble has a 50% off sale on Criterions right now, they're $19.99 priced (if you collect criterions you KNOW this is a huge discount). If you can use the 15% off coupons or $8 off $40 coupons, you can get them for $12 or so.

These are all my Criterions on Blu:

12 Angry Men
The 39 Steps
3:10 to Yuma
The 400 Blows
8 1/2
Amarcord
Anatomy of a Murder
AntiChrist
Army of Shadows
Badlands
Band of Outsiders
Battle of Algiers
Being John Malkovich
Bigger than Life
Black Narcissus
The Blob
Blow Out
Bottle Rocket
Brazil
Breathless
Carlos
Le Cercle Rouge
Charade
Che
A Christmas Tale
The Complete Jean Vigo
Cronos
Curious Case Benjamin Button
Darjeeling Unlimited
Days of Heaven
Devil's Backbone
Diabolique
Down By Law
Following (Christopher Nolan's First Film)
For All Mankind
Forgiveness of Blood
The Game
Godzilla
The Gold Rush
Gray's Anatomy
The Great Dictator
La Haine
Hunger
If...
Island of Lost Souls
Ivan's Childhood
Jubal
The KIlling
Kiss Me Deadly
The Last Emperor
The Last Metro
Last Year at Marienbad
Leon Morin Priest
Letter Never Sent
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Lord of the Flies
M
The Magician
A Man Escaped
Man Who Knew Too Much
Marketa Lazarova
Medium Cool
Ministry of Fear
Modern Times
Monsieur Verdoux
Naked Lunch
Night of the Hunter
A Night to Remember
On the Waterfront
The Organizer
Paris Texas
Path of Glory
Pierre Etaix Set
La Promesse
Purple Noon
Qatsi Trilogy
Rashomon
Red Desert
Repo Man
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Rosemary's Baby
Royal Tenanbaums
Rushmore
Safety Last
Salo
Sansho the Bailiff
Seven Samurai
Seventh Seal
Shallow Grave
Shoah
Summer Hours
Sweet Smell of Success
The Thin Red Line
Things to Come
Three Colors Trilogy
The Tin Drum
Traffic
Two-Lane Blacktop
Umberto D
Videodrome
Vivre Sa Vie
Wages of Fear
The War Room
Weekend
Wild Strawberries
Wings of Desire
World on a Wire
Yojimbo/Sanjuro

jpx7
07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Nice. I love that Vigo set, especially À propos de Nice, which is without a doubt one of my favorite films of all time. Both the early Terrence Malick's – Badlands and Days of Heaven – are also up there on my list (particularly Days of Heaven, which is a damn-near perfect film). I'm also a huge fan of I vitelloni, which is masterful and worth purchasing even though Criterion's only published it on DVD so far.

Also: while the B&N deal is still going, you might want to check out the America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story), a pretty phenomenal set that includes Easy Rider, a few other early Jack Nicholson gems, and Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show, which is breathtaking (and features a super-hot 21-year-old Cybil Shepherd as the town coquette). I was actually lucky enough to snatch this set for $50 thanks to an Amazon GoldBox deal, but half-off would still be a great price for it.

jpx7
07-24-2013, 12:52 PM
My collection, by the way:

The Grand Illusion (DVD)
Seven Samurai
The Lady Vanishes
Amarcord
A Night to Remember
Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto
Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple
Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island
The Naked Kiss
Shock Corridor
Alphaville (DVD)
Time Bandits (DVD)
The Red Shoes
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (DVD)
Brief Encounter
Good Morning (DVD)
Alexander Nevsky (DVD)
Ivan the Terrible: Part I (DVD)
Ivan the Terrible: Part II (DVD)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (DVD)
Rashomon

Children of Paradise
Royal Tenenbaums
Contempt (DVD)
Pépé le moko (DVD)
Throne of Blood (DVD)
Umberto D.
The Leopard
The Golden Coach (DVD)
French Cancan (DVD)
Elena and Her Men (DVD)
I vitelloni (DVD)
Heaven Can Wait (DVD)
Late Spring
Army of Shadows
Days of Heaven
Mafioso (DVD)
Le plaisir (DVD)
Le doulos (DVD)
The Taking of Power by Louis XIV (DVD)
Last Year at Marienbad
Howard's End
The Golden Age of Television (DVD)
Stagecoach
Head
Easy Rider
Five Easy Pieces
Drive, He Said
A Safe Place
The Last Picture Show
The King of Marvin Gardens
The Great Dictator
Léon Morin, Priest
The Music Room
The Complete Jean Vigo
Blue
White
Red
World on a Wire
In Which We Serve
This Happy Breed
Blithe Spirit
The Organizer
Summer Interlude
Summer with Monika
The Gold Rush
Lonesome
Rosemary's Baby
The Decameron
The Canterbury Tales
Arabian Nights
Koyaanisqatsi
Powaqqatsi
Naqoyqatsi
Badlands
Monsieur Verdoux

Plus:

Eclipse Series 5: The First Films of Sam Fuller
Eclipse Series 10: Silent Ozu—Three Family Comedies
Eclipse Series 16: Alexander Korda's Private Lives
Eclipse Series 22: Presenting Sacha Guitry

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Nice. I love that Vigo set, especially À propos de Nice, which is without a doubt one of my favorite films of all time. Both the early Terrence Malick's – Badlands and Days of Heaven – are also up there on my list (particularly Days of Heaven, which is a damn-near perfect film). I'm also a huge fan of I vitelloni, which is masterful and worth purchasing even though Criterion's only published it on DVD so far.

Also: while the B&N deal is still going, you might want to check out the America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story), a pretty phenomenal set that includes Easy Rider, a few other early Jack Nicholson gems, and Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show, which is breathtaking (and features a super-hot 21-year-old Cybil Shepherd as the town coquette). I was actually lucky enough to snatch this set for $50 thanks to an Amazon GoldBox deal, but half-off would still be a great price for it.

I'm actually trying to get that set but my B&N doesn't have it. I've heard a lot about the Easy Rider movie. If I order it from them, I'm trying to make sure I get a few extra because if it's a single item they don't ship it with bubble wrap protective packaging. Just put itin the plastic grey wrapper. A few months ago Save-A-Lot had a gift card sale for Father's Day. Buy a $25 Barnes and Noble Gift Card for $15. So rest assured, I bought about $600 worth of GC's, and I saved it all for the Criterion Sale. B&N Criterion sale runs from 7/9 to 8/5 I believe. In November they have a B2G1 sale.

I've heard nothing but great things about the VIgo set, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Thin Red Line is also a very good Malick film from what I heard, and he just had a beautiful new movie To The Wonder with Javier Bardem that came out a few months ago. I bought Tree of Life on sale for $8 on blu a few weeks ago, haven't watched it yet but I heard it's another beautiful Malick film.

Julio3000
07-24-2013, 12:56 PM

Agreed. Huge fan.

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 01:01 PM
My collection, by the way:

The Grand Illusion (DVD)
Seven Samurai
The Lady Vanishes
Amarcord
A Night to Remember
Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto
Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple
Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island
The Naked Kiss
Shock Corridor
Alphaville (DVD)
Time Bandits (DVD)
The Red Shoes
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (DVD)
Brief Encounter
Good Morning (DVD)
Alexander Nevsky (DVD)
Ivan the Terrible: Part I (DVD)
Ivan the Terrible: Part II (DVD)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (DVD)
Rashomon

Children of Paradise
Royal Tenenbaums
Contempt (DVD)
Pépé le moko (DVD)
Throne of Blood (DVD)
Umberto D.
The Leopard
The Golden Coach (DVD)
French Cancan (DVD)
Elena and Her Men (DVD)
I vitelloni (DVD)
Heaven Can Wait (DVD)
Late Spring
Army of Shadows
Days of Heaven
Mafioso (DVD)
Le plaisir (DVD)
Le doulos (DVD)
The Taking of Power by Louis XIV (DVD)
Last Year at Marienbad
Howard's End
The Golden Age of Television (DVD)
Stagecoach
Head
Easy Rider
Five Easy Pieces
Drive, He Said
A Safe Place
The Last Picture Show
The King of Marvin Gardens
The Great Dictator
Léon Morin, Priest
The Music Room
The Complete Jean Vigo
Blue
White
Red
World on a Wire
In Which We Serve
This Happy Breed
Blithe Spirit
The Organizer
Summer Interlude
Summer with Monika
The Gold Rush
Lonesome
Rosemary's Baby
The Decameron
The Canterbury Tales
Arabian Nights
Koyaanisqatsi
Powaqqatsi
Naqoyqatsi
Badlands
Monsieur Verdoux

Sweetness!

Naked Kiss and Shock Corridor were next on my list.

How's the Samurai Trilogy? I see you have all the digibooks for the most part. Good to know someone else here shares my collecting passion! I have 499 blu-rays currently.

These are all the ones I'm missing from my collection I want to buy:

Broadcast NewsDazed and Confused
Gate of Hell
Heaven's Gate
Kes
Lady Vanishes
Last Temptation Christ
Naked
Naked Kiss
Revanche
Rules of the Game
Schizopolis
Shock Cooridor
The Leopard
Tiny Furniture
Seconds
Life is Sweet
Alambrista
America Lost & Found
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Babette's Feast
Beauty & beast
Belle De Jour
Black Moon
Branded to Kill
Chronicle of Summer
Cul-De-Sac
My Life as a Dog
Quadrophenia
Repulsion
Still Walking
Close Up

Also, idk if you know but Criterion releases their announcements of blu-ray releases every 15th-16th of the month that will be out in 3 months. So July's announcements were for October.

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Here's my entire collection. Some are missing because I let my sister and brother-in law borrow like 10-12, and I have a few in the other room that I was watching the other day.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/29dhibp.jpg

jpx7
07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Naked Kiss and Shock Corridor were next on my list.

The Naked Kiss is pretty good, and one of the first Criterion discs I purchased after buying a blu-ray player — I'd recently seen Sam Fuller's The Steel Helmet at the neighborhood cinema, was fairly blown away, and decided I need to see more of that man's films (plus, it was like $17.99 on Amazon at the time). For whatever reason, I didn't get around to buying Shock Corridor until the big Father's-Day-centered Amazon sale in early June, and only just watched it last night: it's damn incredible, and the better of the two films in my opinion, though I'm going to rewatch The Naked Kiss in the next couple days and more directly compare the two (since it's been about a year-and-a-half since I'd seen The Naked Kiss).

Nonetheless, I'm a huge proponent of Sam Fuller and would definitely recommend grabbing both of them. Each has pretty great cover/booklet art, and good written supplements (though not a ton of video supplements on the discs themselves).

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 01:28 PM
The Naked Kiss is pretty good, and one of the first Criterion discs I purchased after buying a blu-ray player — I'd recently seen Sam Fuller's The Steel Helmet at the neighborhood cinema, was fairly blown away, and decided I need to see more of that man's films (plus, it was like $17.99 on Amazon at the time). For whatever reason, I didn't get around to buying Shock Corridor until the big Father's-Day-centered Amazon sale in early June, and only just watched it last night: it's damn incredible, and the better of the two films in my opinion, though I'm going to rewatch The Naked Kiss in the next couple days and more directly compare the two (since it's been about a year-and-a-half since I'd seen The Naked Kiss).

Nonetheless, I'm a huge proponent of Sam Fuller and would definitely recommend grabbing both of them. Each has pretty great cover/booklet art, and good written supplements (though not a ton of video supplements on the discs themselves).

Yeah the art-work I loved plus it's a full-screen aspect ratio which I prefer watching on my HDTV. Nothing against 1:33 aspect ratio movies (Most of Bergman's work I've seen are in this ratio and I love his movies), I'm just interested in seeing full-screen older black and white cinema. On the Waterfront with Brando blew me away with the quality of the image and everything all-around. It was a 4k restoration, done beautifully.

jpx7
07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
How's the Samurai Trilogy? I see you have all the digibooks for the most part. Good to know someone else here shares my collecting passion! I have 499 blu-rays currently.

Samurai Trilogy is really cool – a great narrative arc, beautifully photographed (in color), and obviously boasting a great performance by the inimitable Toshiro Mifune – though I wouldn't necessarily say it has the same sort of ethical and philosophical heft of Kurosawa's samurai films, for instance.

I'd also strongly recommend The Leopard, amongst the films on your wish-list: Burt Lancaster is great, it narrates a really interesting period of Italian history, you get two different cuts of the film (one a solid English-dub, one longer-cut in Italian, which I prefer), and the cinematography is incredibly lush — plus Claudia Cardinale.

As for the digipaks: I've generally prioritized the sets when purchasing, since usually it's a better film-per-dollar ratio and moreover because I really like studying and getting to know specific directors and/or periods. I also generally tend to buy more Criterions that I haven't seen before — hence why I haven't jumped on On the Waterfront, which like you say looks magnificent, or Videodrome, which is another of my favorite titles.

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Samurai Trilogy is really cool – a great narrative arc, beautifully photographed (in color), and obviously boasting a great performance by the inimitable Toshiro Mifune – though I wouldn't necessarily say it has the same sort of ethical and philosophical ramifications of Kurosawa's samurai films, for instance.

I'd also strongly recommend The Leopard, amongst the films on your wish-list: Burt Lancaster is great, it narrates a really interesting period of Italian history, you get two different cuts of the film (one a solid English-dub, one longer-cut in Italian, which I prefer), and the cinematography is incredibly lush — plus Claudia Cardinale.

As for the digipaks: I've generally prioritized the sets when purchasing, since usually it's a better film-per-dollar ratio and moreover because I really like studying and getting to know specific directors and/or periods.

Ahh gotcha.

Usually with the foreign films, I prefer the non-english dubbed versions and go with the original language. I want to watch the original authentic director's intended viewing and not an english dub. I know with the Godzilla set there was two versions, which I declined to watcht he second although I should just for comparison sake. I used to be anal on black bars on the top and bottom and having to zoom in to watch the movie and it fill up my screen, now I'm all about OAR.\

--

Anda s for the Leopard, I was giong to try and swing by B&N today and buy the Leopard, BBS set, and Babette's feast. All are digipacks in the cardboard packaging, and if I order one it will be shipped in a plastic wrap and hte corners get messed up. I usually by in trios or more, so I think I found my trio to buy later today.

BRule
07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Watched the Conjuring twice.

Jesus Christ.

Scared the living **** out of me.

Haven't been that legitimately scared of a horror movie in a very very long time.

Was a good movie, enjoyed it alot...wouldn't say it was that scary though.

jpx7
07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Ahh gotcha.

Usually with the foreign films, I prefer the non-english dubbed versions and go with the original language. I want to watch the original authentic director's intended viewing and not an english dub. I know with the Godzilla set there was two versions, which I declined to watcht he second although I should just for comparison sake. I used to be anal on black bars on the top and bottom and having to zoom in to watch the movie and it fill up my screen, now I'm all about OAR.

Yea, that's definitely my preference as well — and like I said I think the Italian dub of The Leopard is just the longer, better cut anyways, though it's cool that Criterion gives you both. Of course, the weird thing with Italian films of that period (60s–90s, basically) is that, even in Italian, they're dubs, because pretty much every film made in Italy during those decades was photographed without sound, then post-synched. In other words, even when you watch The Leopard in Italian (or any Sergio Leone film, for instance), the characteristic disjunction between mouth movement and what is heard is still there.

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Was a good movie, enjoyed it alot...wouldn't say it was that scary though.

As someone who grew up catholic, it was pretty scary.

I'm not afraid of any physical confrontation with any live human being. But you start talking about spirits and demons and ghosts... yeaaa....

jpx7
07-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Also, idk if you know but Criterion releases their announcements of blu-ray releases every 15th-16th of the month that will be out in 3 months. So July's announcements were for October.

Yea, there are some good October titles – particularly the five-film Cassavetes set – and I'm glad they're finally releasing La Notte, which has been rumored as forthcoming for more than a year. But a few films at the top of my wish-list are being released in August and September: The Big City and Charulata (I'm a huge Satyajit Ray fan) next month, and the Roberto Rossellini/Ingrid Bergman three-film set and the blu-ray re-release of Autumn Sonata (Ingmar directing Ingrid) the month after. I can never get enough Ingrid Bergman.

BRule
07-24-2013, 02:17 PM
As someone who grew up catholic, it was pretty scary.

I'm not afraid of any physical confrontation with any live human being. But you start talking about spirits and demons and ghosts... yeaaa....

As did I, as I currently am....and yes, the idea that it could/did happen, IS scary but my point was that the movie itself wasn't over the top scary.

Tapate50
07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Tombstone is the best movie ever made.

jpx7
07-24-2013, 02:27 PM
As someone who grew up Episcopal, when are we having pancakes?

CyYoung31
07-24-2013, 02:38 PM
I can never get enough Ingrid Bergman.

She was hella hot, even in black and white.

CyYoung31
07-24-2013, 04:26 PM
As did I, as I currently am....and yes, the idea that it could/did happen, IS scary but my point was that the movie itself wasn't over the top scary.

Are you for real or are you for realz?

BRule
07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
fo' realz

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Yea, there are some good October titles – particularly the five-film Cassavetes set – and I'm glad they're finally releasing La Notte, which has been rumored as forthcoming for more than a year. But a few films at the top of my wish-list are being released in August and September: The Big City and Charulata (I'm a huge Satyajit Ray fan) next month, and the Roberto Rossellini/Ingrid Bergman three-film set and the blu-ray re-release of Autumn Sonata (Ingmar directing Ingrid) the month after. I can never get enough Ingrid Bergman.

Speaking of Ingmar, I'll hopefully be watching Wild Strawberries tonight.

jpx7
07-24-2013, 05:09 PM
She was hella hot, even in black and white.

Especially in black-and-white, perhaps? Though she is pretty magnificent in Elena and Her Men (http://www.criterion.com/films/937-elena-and-her-men) (a great mid-fifties Renoir film), as well.

jpx7
07-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Speaking of Ingmar, I'll hopefully be watching Wild Strawberries tonight.

Nice. That's another I really covet, along with The Magician. I'm thinking of picking up this early Bergman Eclipse box-set (http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/232-eclipse-series-1-early-bergman) as part of my B&N sale order — and possibly Smiles of a Summer Night, as well, since I've almost completed the "summer" trilogy (as it were).

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice. That's another I really covet, along with The Magician. I'm thinking of picking up this early Bergman Eclipse box-set (http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/232-eclipse-series-1-early-bergman) as part of my B&N sale order.

I just had the Magician arrive in the mail today!

Only Bergman I've seen so far was Seventh Seal, and I really really enjoyed it.

CyYoung31
07-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Especially in black-and-white, perhaps? Though she is pretty magnificent in Elena and Her Men (http://www.criterion.com/films/937-elena-and-her-men) (a great mid-fifties Renoir film), as well.

You're right. I misspoke. I find that black and white actually helps people's complexions.

Usually when I think about how good I look, I picture myself in black and white.

The Chosen One
07-24-2013, 09:31 PM
You're right. I misspoke. I find that black and white actually helps people's complexions.

Usually when I think about how good I look, I picture myself in black and white.

Racist.

CyYoung31
07-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Racist.

Black or white, I look good.

Dalyn
07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Watched The Lone Ranger. Had fun. Much better than the terrible reviews.

jpx7
07-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Watched The Lone Ranger. Had fun. Much better than the terrible reviews.

I assume Depp was good-to-great, but did you find Hammer's performance to be anywhere near as bad as most of the reviews purported?

elmonthc
07-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Anybody see pacific rim. Waas tjat movie seriously made ?

The new simon pegg movie looks funny. Kick arse 2looks aight.

Bj1133
07-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Watched "Red 2" this weekend - just alright, not as good as the first one but still entertaining

weso1
07-28-2013, 08:20 PM
As someone who grew up Episcopal, when are we having pancakes?

I grew up Episcopal too. We may be twins.

elmonthc
07-28-2013, 11:09 PM

Which one are you, devito or arnold?

Julio3000
07-28-2013, 11:26 PM

So did I.

Where thou findest four Episcopalians, shalt thou also find a fifth.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/poinsett/gerald_fif_zps666bc1a5.jpg

The Chosen One
08-01-2013, 12:12 PM
JPX, B&N just sent out 15% off coupons to people in their mailing list. I have about 60 of them thanks to a glitch in their system.

The B&N Criteron 50% off sale ends this Sunday night. You can get an additional 15% off the $19.99 that most of them are. If you have a B&N membership you can get an extra 10% off that too. If not, 16.99 for criterion plus tax is good.

If you need any coupons just PM me, I have a ton ton ton.

jpx7
08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm placing an order today or tomorrow, so that'd be damn awesome. Expect a PM shortly.

Krgrecw
08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Bad Grandpa

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/01/jackass-presents-bad-grandpa-trailer/

the scene starting at 1:40 is hilarious

The Chosen One
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Bad Grandpa

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/01/jackass-presents-bad-grandpa-trailer/

the scene starting at 1:40 is hilarious

Has plenty of potential.

The Chosen One
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Continuing my criterion craze, bought 8 more yesterday.

Ordered
Belle De Jour
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Still Walking

and picked up 5 japanese titles in-store
Branded to Kill
High and Low
Harakiri
Kagemusha
Kuroneko

jpx7
08-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Continuing my criterion craze, bought 8 more yesterday.

Ordered
Belle De Jour
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Still Walking

and picked up 5 japanese titles in-store
Branded to Kill
High and Low
Harakiri
Kagemusha
Kuroneko

Nice. Belle du Jour's been near the top of my most-wanted list for a while; Catherine Deneuve is awesome. I saw Au revoir les enfants at the cinema about nine months ago; it's breathtaking in a similar fashion as Melville's Army of Shadows (another auteur adapting his own personal experiences under Nazi occupation into a filmic narrative), and I think you'll enjoy it; Louis Malle is just generally an outstanding director. Branded to Kill is great and if you like it you should definitely add Pale Flower to your collection, which is another bad-ass yakuza film to emerge from the Japanese Nouvelle Vague.

Looks like a solid haul overall. I went ahead and ordered Eclipse Series 32: Pearls of the Czech New Wave and Closely Watched Trains yesterday.

jpx7
08-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Here's a cool list (http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/stanley-kubricks-list-of-top-ten-films-of-all-time-up-to-1963/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=stanley-kubricks-list-of-top-ten-films-of-all-time-up-to-1963) of the films Stanley Kubrick considered the top-ten of all-time circa 1963:

1. I Vitelloni (dir. Federico Fellini, 1953)
2. Wild Strawberries (dir. Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
3. Citizen Kane (dir. Orson Welles, 1941)
4. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (dir. John Huston, 1948)
5. City Lights (dir. Charlie Chaplin, 1931)
6. Henry V (dir. Laurence Olivier, 1944)
7. La Notte (dir. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1961)
8. The Bank Dick (dir. Edward F. Cline, 1940)
9. Roxie Hart (dir. William A. Wellman, 1942)
10. Hell's Angels (dir. Howard Hughes, 1930)

I can't help noting that I was aggressively pimpimg I vitelloni earlier in this very thread.

And, just for fun, here's a link (http://sobadsogood.com/2013/08/03/rare-photos-of-chicago-in-1949-taken-by-stanley-kubrick/) to an amazing series of photographs of Chicago that Stanley Kubrick took for Look magazine back in 1949, with this being one of the more iconic examples:

http://i.imgur.com/4HXnE25.jpg

The Chosen One
08-14-2013, 01:49 AM
Kubrick said The Godfather is probably the best movie ever made, but I see your list was circa 1963.

Speaking of The Godfather, I've been watching the movies again on AMC during Mob Week. Always must see TV these movies are for me.

Never gets old, and other than Lord of the Rings, is the only movie with this long of a run time that I could easily sit through and watch it on any given day.

Bj1133
08-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Saw "The Wolverine" this past weekend - I was a big X-Men fan growing up (loved the cartoons), but have not been all that impressed with any of the movies.

What really disappointed me was the fact that Wolverine seemed to be the only mutant in the movie, aside from Viper. I would have much rather seen another mutant show up near the end. Was just too much Wolverine, which I guess I should have expected given the title.

jpx7
08-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Kubrick said The Godfather is probably the best movie ever made, but I see your list was circa 1963.

Well The Godfather – while not being my personal favorite (or probably even in my top-ten, to be honest, but probably in my top-twenty-five) – is indeed a pretty much perfectly-executed film; I can't really argue with any of the directorial choices Coppola made, and that montage of power-consolidating murders as Michael is consecrated "godfather" (in multiple senses) is one of the more amazing and mesmerizing sequences in cinema history. (I do, however, think that Godfather II – while definitely a very good movie, all things considered – tends to be overrated, especially relative to the first film, which as I said is absolutely impeccable.)

Meanwhile, I personally greatly prefer several of Kubrick's own films to even the original The Godfather — though obviously it'd be a bit gauche for him to name one of his own films the greatest even made.

Really, I found the list I posted extraordinarily interesting because it is so early: it enumerates what Kubrick thought the best films were at a nascent period in his career, and thus is good fodder for reflecting on how those films shaped the series of masterpieces he'd go on to produce.

The Chosen One
08-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Well The Godfather – while not being my personal favorite (or probably even in my top-ten, to be honest, but probably in my top-twenty-five) – is indeed a pretty much perfectly-executed film; I can't really argue with any of the directorial choices Coppola made, and that montage of power-consolidating murders as Michael is consecrated "godfather" (in multiple senses) is one of the more amazing and mesmerizing sequences in cinema history. (I do, however, think that Godfather II – while definitely a very good movie, all things considered – tends to be overrated, especially relative to the first film, which as I said is absolutely impeccable.)

Meanwhile, I personally greatly prefer several of Kubrick's own films to even the original The Godfather — though obviously it'd be a bit gauche for him to name one of his own films the greatest even made.

Really, I found the list I posted extraordinarily interesting because it is so early: it enumerates what Kubrick thought the best films were at a nascent period in his career, and thus is good fodder for reflecting on how those films shaped the series of masterpieces he'd go on to produce.

I personally never understood GFII when I was younger. As I got older and watched it more, I understood the subtle things not so obvious like in the first, the betrayal and the chess match between Michael vs. Roth. It was a darker and deeper movie IMO than one, which was more star power and in your face drama. It's to where I put GF2 right at the same level as GF1 for me. They're both movies I could just keep watching over and over and enjoy.

On a criterion note, I picked up Seconds yesterday, one of Rock Hudson's more notable movies. I'll be enjoying it. Beautiful 4k restoration.

Bj1133
08-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Recorded Goodfellas on the DVR and just finished watching it - always heard it was something great but didn't come away too impressed.

Hawk
08-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Recorded Goodfellas on the DVR and just finished watching it - always heard it was something great but didn't come away too impressed.

Sorry you didn't like it. It's one of my favorites.

I love the maniacal sequence where Jimmy is being 'followed' by the helicopters that is musically overlaid with Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire," Harrison's "What is Love," and the Who's "Magic Bus" -- plus, you've gotta stir the sauce.

BRule
08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I have Iceman and Only God Forgives waiting for me at home...can't wait to watch both.

Krgrecw
08-17-2013, 10:37 AM
I never watched Reservior Dogs and iFinally got around to watching it a year ago and I thought it was awful. Seemed dated and no real action or violence.

BRule
08-17-2013, 10:44 AM
If you're watching Reservior dogs for violence and action....you're doing it wrong.

zitothebrave
08-17-2013, 01:27 PM
If you're watching Reservior dogs for violence and action....you're doing it wrong.

This the film is dated because the style has been copied several times since by many directors. But its a great example of great story telling and character interaction.

bravesnumberone
08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
If you've got about three hours of time, Once Upon a Time in the West is worth a watch.

I like The Godfather movies. Don't know if they're the best of all time, but the first and second are excellent.

jpx7
08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
If you've got about three hours of time, Once Upon a Time in the West is worth a watch.

This. I'm inclined to say it may be the best opening ten-minutes or so of any film; just a masterful introductory sequence.

Plus: Claudia Cardinale.

(Not to mention Henry Fonda's somewhat daring decision to dive into a villain's role — especially considering similar stars like John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart were not really comfortable taking the cool-but-villainous roles they were offered later in their careers.)

jpx7
08-19-2013, 07:13 PM
I personally never understood GFII when I was younger. As I got older and watched it more, I understood the subtle things not so obvious like in the first, the betrayal and the chess match between Michael vs. Roth. It was a darker and deeper movie IMO than one, which was more star power and in your face drama. It's to where I put GF2 right at the same level as GF1 for me. They're both movies I could just keep watching over and over and enjoy.

On a criterion note, I picked up Seconds yesterday, one of Rock Hudson's more notable movies. I'll be enjoying it. Beautiful 4k restoration.

Yea, I guess for my tastes the first film holds more power and sway, and – as I mentioned – I just think it's a tighter and more technically superlative film. But my inclinations and reflections with respect to the two films may be decidedly influenced by the fact that I hadn't seen either until I grew more seriously interested in the broader filmic landscape during my later years in college; in high-school, it was pretty much The Gospel According to Kubrick.

Let me know how Seconds is. I'm a huge Rock Hudson fan, and if you like him you should definitely check out Giant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_%281956_film%29) – which isn't in the Criterion Collection, but is an incredibly affective psychological Western co-starring my girl, the resplendent Elizabeth Taylor, and featuring what is perhaps James Dean's finest performance – along with two exemplary Douglas Sirk films available on Criterion dvd: All That Heaven Allows and (the even better) Written on the Wind.

(Sirk, by the way, is a damn fine director.)

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Have to disagree SAV. I think 2 is good. But the seeming need to have the Vito subplot to support the movie clearly indicates the movie isn't as strong as 1 was.

I got into a discussion with my girlfriend the other day. And I decided Al Pacino is a massively overrated actor. You often see him at the top of best actor awards but he's really 1 note and for me the only role he succeeded in was Michael Corleone. I think DeNiro is a much better 1 note actor.

We also discussed who would be our top 10 actors and had a hard time really formulating the list. Only truth I'd admit is that in my top 10 you'd have Brando, DDL, Newman, and Nicholson. After that it gets really debateable. But I picked those guys because no matter what movie they're in in any role, they shine through. My case examples are the Departed and Apocalypse Now. Brando was barely in Apocalypse Now, maybe has what 30 minutes of plot time in Redux if that, and the thing people remember from that movie is "the horror". And the Departed despite all the other names and a very underrated performance from Marky Mark, Nicholson steals the screen every chance he gets.

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Have to disagree SAV. I think 2 is good. But the seeming need to have the Vito subplot to support the movie clearly indicates the movie isn't as strong as 1 was.

I got into a discussion with my girlfriend the other day. And I decided Al Pacino is a massively overrated actor. You often see him at the top of best actor awards but he's really 1 note and for me the only role he succeeded in was Michael Corleone. I think DeNiro is a much better 1 note actor.

We also discussed who would be our top 10 actors and had a hard time really formulating the list. Only truth I'd admit is that in my top 10 you'd have Brando, DDL, Newman, and Nicholson. After that it gets really debateable. But I picked those guys because no matter what movie they're in in any role, they shine through. My case examples are the Departed and Apocalypse Now. Brando was barely in Apocalypse Now, maybe has what 30 minutes of plot time in Redux if that, and the thing people remember from that movie is "the horror". And the Departed despite all the other names and a very underrated performance from Marky Mark, Nicholson steals the screen every chance he gets.

The entire Vito subplot, is to explain and show and explain parallels in the present time:
1)Michael's rise to power was similar to his father's. (They both had to assassinate someone important).
2) Why Vito always cared extra about Fredo because he was sick. It showed how weak Fredo was from birth to the present day.
3) When Kay says "with this sicilian thing that's been going on for hundreds of years", it's to show how the game has not changed that much.
4) It shows how cunning Vito became, how loyal he was to people before he was in power, and how he rose to power. It shows lots of similarities to Michael.
5) The last scene was particularly important, because 1) Everyone at the table was against Michael's decision to join the Marines, except Fredo who ironically would be the one Michael killed. 2) It reaffirms what Vito said to him in Part 1 that "I never wanted this for you Michael (to join the crime world)."

The movie itself is deeper than Part 1, which is not really a mind game. Part 1 is more fun, but Part 2 has a darker tone which is what evens it out for having a lesser cast. The Senate Investigation of Michael Corleone itself is amazing to watch, because of how realistic it is even to this day.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Part Two is deeper?

I think I've heard it all. The main story line is truly skin deep.

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Part Two is deeper?

I think I've heard it all. The main story line is truly skin deep.

What was the main story line in part 1?

Vito trying to be assassinated? Saulatso being killed? Michael becoming a Don? Michael cleaning house? There was no central plot, it was just superstar actors putting on a show. I have nothing against Part 1, I probably watch Part 1 6/10 vs. Part 2 just because of Brando, Caan, along with Pacino.

At least Part 2 had a storyline from beginning to end.

I used to not like GF2, but after having watched it several times, I appreciate it much more. There's small bits and pieces that don't stand out that you appreciate after having watched it.

It had a weaker cast because no Brando,James Caan, Castellano, Vigoda. GF2 has more subtle stuff, more of a chess match you're watching.

Everyone was on the same page in GF1, the Corleone Family were the true protagonists.

Part 2 there's just more mafiaesque activity going on, Fredo was a traitor (even if it was unknowingly), the way they set up Senator Geary in that brothel, the way they brought in Pentangeli's brother when he was testifying in front of the Senate, the betrayal, the breaking down of the Corleone Family. Part 1, the only betrayal really is Tessio turning to Brazini after Michael becomes Don. Even that, and Carlo beating up Connie were dead obvious just awesomely executed.

And DeNiro's time as an up and coming guy in that time in New York was also very important. It's something I didn't care for initially, but I think it was well done to parallel Vito's rise and Michael's rise and the similarities. It also shows Don Tommasino and why Vito is so loyal to him and vice versa.

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Two of the most underrated scenes from GF2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXZhYJcXh2I
Show me a scene comparable in Part 1, where the dialogue and subtle context of what Hagen and Pentangelli are talking about, is matched? When they killed Tessio after finding out his betrayal, it was only a brief exchange of "It wasn't personal, it was strictly business". Duvall's acting in this scene was awesome as well, because you could see the nostalgia in his character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4WOCwfHaOw
This scene is important as well because it's the only scene in the entire saga where we see Mama Corleone talk. She was the backbone for Vito for several years and she was probably the most innocent member of the family, so it's interesting to see her take on the values of family and her strength.

jpx7
08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
The second Godfather definitely has some exemplary scenes – the closing flashback sequence with the family at the table before Michael enlists, in particular, is astoundingly resonant – but there are also, in my opinion, so very underwhelming scenes; the slow pan over the immigrants' faces as they stare up at New York from the boat-deck, for instance, is downright hammy. Meanwhile, I don't think there is a single bad scene, moment, or decision in the first Godfather, which is why I ultimately prefer it, and regard it as an effectively perfect film.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
What's the plot of the first? Seriously SAV?

The Chosen One
08-20-2013, 05:13 PM
What's the plot of the first? Seriously SAV?

I am serious.

And that's not to take away from the movie because it's still something I prefer over 1.

But there are tons of things going on in Part 1.

Half the movie is about Vito's attempted assassination, a portion is Michael in Italy getting married and coming back to USA, a portion is him coming back and taking over, then Sonny dying and Michael killing all the Dons + Carlo.

Part 2 is consistent from beginning to end. There's a traitor, a snitch against the family from within the family, and it's all about uncovering and revealing that person who turns out to be Johnny Ola, Roth, and Fredo, and then getting rid of them to settle family business.

zitothebrave
08-20-2013, 06:26 PM
What's the story? It's basically a story about a passing of the era. It's about the rise of a new don and the falling of old ways.

Though the story is much more indepth than that of course, in all reality it's a story about family (and betrayal) and business.

jpx7
08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
By the way: Jiří Menzel's Closely Watched Trains (a recent Criterion purchase of mine) is ****ing ridiculously great.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Closelywatchedtrains.jpg

BRule
08-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Mud ended up being pretty good, I thought McConaughey's role was well acted. Would recommend checking it out

Dalyn
08-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Mud ended up being pretty good, I McConaughey's role was well acted. Would recommend checking it out

Mud is excellent. Like a modern Twain story.

jpx7
09-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Of interest to SAV, and possibly others:

Last week, I picked up two out-of-print Criterion titles at the used-record store: Luis Buñuel's Diary of a Chambermaid (1964) (http://www.criterion.com/films/656-diary-of-a-chambermaid), starring Jeanne Moreau, and Robert Hamer's Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) (http://www.criterion.com/films/357-kind-hearts-and-coronets), a black-comedy featuring Dennis Price as the young protagonist and Alec Guinness as eight of his relatives.

jpx7
09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
A fascinating article (http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/03/stanley-kubricks-unmade-film-about-jazz-in-the-third-reich/274225/) entitled Stanley Kubrick's Unmade Film About Jazz in the Third Reich, a short description of which I'll quote:

Kubrick wanted to tell the tale of Dietrich Schulz-Koehn, a swing-loving Luftwaffe officer who wrote about the music scenes in Nazi-occupied cities using the pen name "Dr. Jazz."

BRule
09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Only God Forgives might be the weirdest movie I have ever seen, top 3 for sure....that's really all I can say about it, for now.

jpx7
09-30-2013, 09:01 PM
New Criterions:

The Furies (1950) (http://www.criterion.com/films/596-the-furies), directed by Anthony Mann and starring Barbara Stanwyck and Walter Huston in one of Mann's first westerns. The Criterion edition includes the long-out-of-print source-novel by Niven Busch; this is a title I've been excited about buying for a long while, and was lucky to snatch it at a steep discount.

Pale Flower (1964) (www.criterion.com/films/27604-pale-flower), directed by Masahiro Shinoda and accurately described by Criterion as a "cool, seductive jewel of the Japanese New Wave". I watched a downloaded copy of this film a few years ago, and can say that it's an absolute masterpiece and entirely worth watching even if you aren't a fan of yakuza films or the Japanese New Wave.

zitothebrave
09-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Just found out that Dr. Strangelove is on amazon prime, so you know what I'm doing.

The Chosen One
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I have Pale Flower.... just haven't watched it yet.

jpx7
09-30-2013, 09:14 PM
I have Pale Flower.... just haven't watched it yet.

Watch it while you're killing time waiting for the Braves to kill the Dodgers.

jpx7
09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Just found out that Dr. Strangelove is on amazon prime, so you know what I'm doing.

Keeping pure your precious bodily fluids? Or just getting real turgid, son?

The Chosen One
09-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Watch it while you're killing time waiting for the Braves to kill the Dodgers.
I easily have a bunch of other Japanese criterions to watch...

Seven Samurai
Kuroneko
Branded to Kill
High and Low
Harakiri
Kagemusha

zitothebrave
09-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Keeping pure your precious bodily fluids? Or just getting real turgid, son?

Of course this is a friendly call.

jpx7
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
:emot-siren.gif.17:

Criterion 24-Hour Flash-Sale.

Paging KeithLockhart.

The Chosen One
10-01-2013, 12:50 PM
:emot-siren.gif.17:

Criterion 24-Hour Flash-Sale.

Paging @KeithLockhart (http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/member.php?u=1).

rigknhaoreinhwiohgnw4oiyn234ioh

I have like no money damnit.

I was saving up for Barnes and Noble 50% sale in November. It's actually 50% off, then 10% off with my membership!!!

The Chosen One
10-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Did you buy anything?

jpx7
10-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Did you buy anything?

3 Films by Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman (www.criterion.com/boxsets/982-3-films-by-roberto-rossellini-starring-ingrid-bergman), plus Satyajit Ray's Charulata (www.criterion.com/films/28447-charulata) and The Big City (www.criterion.com/films/28448-the-big-city), along with Masahiro Shinoda's Double Suicid (www.criterion.com/films/640-double-suicide)e (Shinoda being the director of Pale Flower).

jpx7
10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Did you buy anything?

... And I couldn't resist one more small order: Benjamin Christensen's "documentary" on witchcraft, Häxan (1922) (www.criterion.com/films/352-haxan), and Eclipse Series 1: Early Bergman (http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/232-eclipse-series-1-early-bergman), which includes Bergman's first produced screenplay (directed by Alf Sjöberg) along with his first four directorial efforts.

The Chosen One
10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm going to watch Don Jon.

Looks too good to pass up plus it's a free ticket and I love me some Scar Jo. :Bunchie1:

bravesnumberone
10-02-2013, 11:00 PM
"Gravity" looks pretty good.

Most recent movie I watched was The Place Beyond the Pines. It was really good.

The Chosen One
10-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Since it is that time of year, I've been watching a ton of AMC Fear Fest and horror movies.

However, I've been holding off on watching The Great Dictator for a while (criterion).

I may just decide to watch it, I've been only holding off on it because of run-time but this I can make an exception for.

The Chosen One
10-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Since I'm on the topic of that movie (Dictator), Glen Beck has referenced that Charlie Chaplin speech from the movie (youtube it with inception music). Now conservatives who've never seen it before are in love with the speech, but they all say "except for the part where he talks about open borders, progress through science".

jpx7
10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Since it is that time of year, I've been watching a ton of AMC Fear Fest and horror movies.

Regarding seasonally-appropriate films: this past weekend, I watched Häxan (which was tremendous) and rewatched Throne of Blood (whose witch – not to mention Lady Macbeth (Asaji) – is the spookiest in any adaptation of Macbeth I've seen).

ESP47
10-28-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm going to watch Don Jon.

Looks too good to pass up plus it's a free ticket and I love me some Scar Jo. :Bunchie1:

Was it any good? I can't quite tell if it's a chick flick or not.

The Chosen One
10-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Was not a chick flick. Had good humor in it.

Dalyn
10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Gravity kicked ass in IMAX 3D.

Captain Phillips was also very good.

The Chosen One
10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Gravity kicked ass in IMAX 3D.

Captain Phillips was also very good.

There's some major debate as to whether or not how accurate Capt Phillips is. It's Tom Hanks so I'll watch it, but I may wait for the home media release.

As for Gravity in IMAX 3D, it was the first time my parents watched an IMAX 3D movie and they were overwhelmed with enjoyment. I was too, as this is the first movie that actually used the 3D to what it's capable of. My parents and I were dodging the debris flying at us left and right hahaha.

Dalyn
10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
There's some major debate as to whether or not how accurate Capt Phillips is. It's Tom Hanks so I'll watch it, but I may wait for the home media release.

As for Gravity in IMAX 3D, it was the first time my parents watched an IMAX 3D movie and they were overwhelmed with enjoyment. I was too, as this is the first movie that actually used the 3D to what it's capable of. My parents and I were dodging the debris flying at us left and right hahaha.

I wouldn't wait. It was an excellent movie.

Outside of Avatar, Gravity was the best 3D I've watched.

sturg33
10-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Since I'm on the topic of that movie (Dictator), Glen Beck has referenced that Charlie Chaplin speech from the movie (youtube it with inception music). Now conservatives who've never seen it before are in love with the speech, but they all say "except for the part where he talks about open borders, progress through science".

I'm skeptical that many conservatives have gone out of their way to make that exception

The Chosen One
10-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm skeptical that many conservatives have gone out of their way to make that exception

Skeptical sturg will remain skeptical.

"
Beck described the speech as “Charlie Chaplin at his best” — despite a few areas where Beck believes he went “awry” at the end — and urged his audience never to grow so disheartened they utter the words “our country is over.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/25/hear-the-rousing-charlie-chaplin-dictator-speech-that-sparked-a-fiery-monologue-from-glenn-beck/

I knew Beck did this, because a bunch of conservatives on my Facebook in town posted it and they all agreed when he starts talking about intolerance, open borders and progress through science that the speech went downhill. And I can only imagine if conservatives in my town (most who are about as big of sheep to Beck and Rushbo) said this, that the sentiment across the internets is very much the same.

Also, I find it ironic Beck tells his viewers to not give up, when the last 4 years all he's done is predict our country's doomsday.

The Chosen One
10-28-2013, 01:17 PM
For the speech in question, here we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FMNFvKEy4c

The Chosen One
10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Oh and as for the movie itself, I just finished watching it. It's my first Chaplin film ever watching as an adult (I saw a few when I was younger really young so I didn't understand it). It's his first non-silent movie and speaking role. I loved it. The humor is very much random and dry. It was very refreshing to see the jokes and comedic stunts he pulled.

I loved it, especially the speech at the end. Gonna watch the entire movie again in a few days.

jpx7
10-28-2013, 02:13 PM
It's an incredible film.

I highly recommend watching any Chaplin you can, silent or otherwise, particularly Modern Times (one of the greatest films, and one of the greatest parsings of modernity and the modern human condition, ever conceived), as well as the other Criterion titles (Gold Rush, Monsieur Verdoux, and the upcoming City Lights).

The Chosen One
10-28-2013, 03:11 PM
City Lights comes out in December I think. I have all the others, just have not gotten around to it yet.

BRule
10-29-2013, 11:14 AM
The Counselor, such a train-wreck of fail.

Dalyn
11-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Ender's Game was good. Definitely worth checking out.

Runnin
11-17-2013, 11:50 PM
http://www.chud.com/articles/content_images/NICK/DVD/beowulf1.jpg

Anthony Hopkins
John Malkovic
Robin Wright Penn
Angelina Jolie
http://d3iq55z57l3zed.cloudfront.net//movie_poster_it/la-leggenda-di-beowulf-film-poster-hd-ray-winstone-crispin-glover-angelina-jolie.jpg

zitothebrave
11-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Thor was solid.

Wished there was more Christopher Eccleston.

One thing Thor has done really well is cast villains. In the Marvel movie arc my 3 favorite villains are Loki, Malekith, and Iron Monger. Sad that of those 3 only Loki has had serious screen time.

Tapate50
11-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Loki is a terrible villian is my personal opinion.

Wife and I went to the movies for the first time in forever, and they had pulled Gravity and Captain Phillips for ........... Best Man Holiday. Apparently people flocked to it this weekend.

zitothebrave
11-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Loki is the best villain in the movies. Sure powers wise he's kinda lame. But in the movies he's the best Villain. A good cartoon villain makes you kinda want to root for him. Magneto for XMen was a lot like that. McKellan brought that character to life.

The Chosen One
11-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Going to try and watch Ender's and 12 Years a Slave sometime this week.

Dalyn
11-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Going to try and watch Ender's and 12 Years a Slave sometime this week.

12 Years a Slave is a disturbing, fantastic movie.

The Chosen One
11-20-2013, 09:40 AM
12 Years a Slave is a disturbing, fantastic movie.

Watched Ender's Game last night.

Awesome movie. Getting hammered by critics, but most audience reviews have been very positive.

It's a visual beauty and space isolation theme. If you enjoyed Tron Legacy, you'll be enjoying this. Tron Legacy is a movie I can watch again and again just for the beautiful visual effects.

Dalyn
11-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Watched Ender's Game last night.

Awesome movie. Getting hammered by critics, but most audience reviews have been very positive.

It's a visual beauty and space isolation theme. If you enjoyed Tron Legacy, you'll be enjoying this. Tron Legacy is a movie I can watch again and again just for the beautiful visual effects.

Yeah. I enjoyed it. And it is doing decent with professional critics. It is the people who are boycotting OSC that are slamming it.

The Chosen One
11-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah. I enjoyed it. And it is doing decent with professional critics. It is the people who are boycotting OSC that are slamming it.

Yeah, I don't know how much of an effect it's had on the BO, but the movie has grossed only a bit over half its budget right now. It will have to do well internationally for a sequel because otherwise it's going to be a bigger bust than After Earth.

I never read the books, and apparently in the books you actually don't root for Ender until the end while in the movie you kind of were rooting for him as the underdog the entire time.

Excellent performance by Harrison Ford, Kingsley, and the young actors in this movie. And again, the visual effects were superb.

Dalyn
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I don't know how much of an effect it's had on the BO, but the movie has grossed only a bit over half its budget right now. It will have to do well internationally for a sequel because otherwise it's going to be a bigger bust than After Earth.

I never read the books, and apparently in the books you actually don't root for Ender until the end while in the movie you kind of were rooting for him as the underdog the entire time.

Excellent performance by Harrison Ford, Kingsley, and the young actors in this movie. And again, the visual effects were superb.

I seem to recall rooting for Ender from the start, but it HAS been 23 years or so.

My biggest--and only major--problem with the movie was how they glossed over some of the subplots and made his initial accomplishments seem almost trivial.

The Chosen One
11-20-2013, 12:43 PM
I seem to recall rooting for Ender from the start, but it HAS been 23 years or so.

My biggest--and only major--problem with the movie was how they glossed over some of the subplots and made his initial accomplishments seem almost trivial.

That's what I was told by some of the book diehards. Reality is there wasn't enough time to do full character development in 1hr 54min run time. My buddy told me one of the biggest facets they left out was the inner thoughts of Ender and the internal conflicts and struggles from within he faces. Also mentions that in the book there is no portal space travel, and that the soldiers were in the sleep pods for 40-50 years before Ender sent them in for the suicide mission.

50PoundHead
11-20-2013, 01:17 PM
The Counselor, such a train-wreck of fail.

Agree. As Joe Ely once sang, "I had my hopes up high." Very disappointing.

Anyone else here see "Bad Grandpa?" I owe my wife the next month of choices (which unfortunately included "Last Vegas") for insisting on seeing "Bad Grandpa." It's hilarious. The kid almost steals the show, but Knoxville holds up his end of the deal as well. MUCH more enjoyable than Cohen's "Bruno" and a notch up from "Borat."

"12 Years a Slave" will be this weekend's choice.

thethe
11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Fight Club has now moved into my favorite movie list. I can just watch that movie over and over and over again.

Dalyn
11-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Fight Club has now moved into my favorite movie list. I can just watch that movie over and over and over again.

You JUST watched it? Fantastic movie (and book). Right there at the top of my list, too.

The Chosen One
11-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I watched 12 Years.

What a depressing movie. No doubt the performances were fantastic and Fassbinder should get an Oscar for that performance for how brutal he was.

THe movie did it's job, which was symbolize how hopeless it was to be not only a slave but a black person in the South in those times. The hopelessness. Solomon was the strongest person there for a long time, he was able to help keep his stuff together until finally he realized he was truly trapped in hell and would never see his family again.

thethe
11-24-2013, 05:13 PM
You JUST watched it? Fantastic movie (and book). Right there at the top of my list, too.

No, I watched it when it came out but dvred it a couple of weeks ago. I must be at 8 times in the last two weeks. I really wish that we could live in the world that Tyler Durdon visualizes.

Dalyn
11-26-2013, 02:11 PM
No, I watched it when it came out but dvred it a couple of weeks ago. I must be at 8 times in the last two weeks. I really wish that we could live in the world that Tyler Durdon visualizes.

Chuck is writing a sequel. (http://chuckpalahniuk.net/news/fight-club-sequels-plot-revealed)

jpx7
11-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Saw The Killing of a Chinese Bookie at the cinema last Wednesday; phenomenal direction and a really transcendent performance by Ben Gazzara.

The Chosen One
11-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Saw The Killing of a Chinese Bookie at the cinema last Wednesday; phenomenal direction and a really transcendent performance by Ben Gazzara.

Criterion 50% sale is at Barnes and Noble until 12/2

The 30% off coupon is this weekend, already started e-mailing out.

So for most Criterions at 39.99...

-50% off sale - $19.99, -30% off = 13.99 , -10% B&N membership = $12.59

There's also rumored to be a 40% off black friday coupon, so possibly $11 criterions!

On Sunday I bought: Frances Ha, La Notte, Spy Who Came in From Cold, Eyes without a Face, City Lights, The Univited (1944), Autumn Sonata

If the 40% off coupon is true and I can stack it with the 50% off sale, I'm going bonkers this weekend.

50PoundHead
11-28-2013, 12:03 PM

The 30% off coupon is this weekend, already started e-mailing out.

So for most Criterions at 39.99...

-50% off sale - $19.99, -30% off = 13.99 , -10% B&N membership = $12.59

There's also rumored to be a 40% off black friday coupon, so possibly $11 criterions!

On Sunday I bought: Frances Ha, La Notte, Spy Who Came in From Cold, Eyes without a Face, City Lights, The Univited (1944), Autumn Sonata

If the 40% off coupon is true and I can stack it with the 50% off sale, I'm going bonkers this weekend.

I'll channel the old Spike Lee Nike commercial with "Did you know? Did you know? Did you know?"

A ton of the Criterion Collection is available for view if you subscribe to Hulu Plus? Either $7.99 or $8.99 per month.

The Chosen One
11-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I'll channel the old Spike Lee Nike commercial with "Did you know? Did you know? Did you know?"

A ton of the Criterion Collection is available for view if you subscribe to Hulu Plus? Either $7.99 or $8.99 per month.

HD streaming has nothing on physical media. One thing I love about Criterion Blu's, is the company spends tons of money to remaster them and restore them. The picture quality is noticeable is noticeable for people like me who pay attention to that stuff. lol

Runnin
11-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Just watched As I Lay Dying and loved it. Not the kind of film most folks can sit through but being a longtime Faulkner fan I had to. Very impressive directing job by James Franco and Tim Blake Nelson may get some serious recognition for his role of the toothless father. He deserves it.

Krgrecw
11-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Any bond fans? Amazon has the complete Bond DVD set (23 DVDs including sky fall) for $99 today. Believe it might be Saturday only. That's a good deal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EK6RM92/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00EK6RM92&linkCode=as2&tag=daringfirebal-20

jpx7
12-03-2013, 05:44 PM

On the final day, I snatched:

The Ballad of Narayama
The Battle of Algiers
Big Deal on Madonna Street
City Lights

The Chosen One
12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Briefly: Details are scant but director Bryan Singer seemingly just announced that a new X-Men movie, called X-Men: Apocalypse, will be out in 2016. The precise date being reported is May 27, 2016. We’ll have more details soon.

:pound:

Bj1133
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/simon-kinberg-to-shepherd-foxs-own-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Fox looking to create their own Marvel Universe involving the X-Men/Fantastic Four. I really wish all the Marvel properties could be combined into one single universe, but with different studios owning the rights to the movies it doesn't look good.

Bj1133
12-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I didn't read past the spoiler alert on this page, but they claim to breakdown how Apocalypse will be involved in the 2014 X-Men movie. I'd rather wait until the movie to find out how it happens, but some people just have to know right now.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/exclusive-how-x-men-days-of-future-past-teases-x-men-apocalypse/

BRule
12-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I know Spike Lee's remake of "OldBoy" is getting crushed by most critics but I enjoyed it...probably wouldn't have picked Brolin but I thought the movie as a whole was rather good.

The Chosen One
12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/simon-kinberg-to-shepherd-foxs-own-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Fox looking to create their own Marvel Universe involving the X-Men/Fantastic Four. I really wish all the Marvel properties could be combined into one single universe, but with different studios owning the rights to the movies it doesn't look good.

They're not actually merging it. They're just acknowledging they exist in the same universe because FOX owns the film rights to both franchises.

I did recently read that Marvel reacquired Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and I believe Blade from FOX, Sony, and New Line Cinemas respectively.

Dalyn
12-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I know Spike Lee's remake of "OldBoy" is getting crushed by most critics but I enjoyed it...probably wouldn't have picked Brolin but I thought the movie as a whole was rather good.

Good to hear.

Hawk
12-06-2013, 10:33 PM

Assuming you have seen the original? Amazing film.

Krgrecw
12-07-2013, 03:09 AM
Disney acquired the rights to future Indiana Jones films.

Reboot like Star Trek or have Indy pass the torch in an upcoming movie? Hope Shia lebouf wont be involved

goldfly
12-07-2013, 03:14 AM
reboot Indy?

blasphemy

BRule
12-07-2013, 09:42 AM

I have, I thought Spike stuck to the original in all the important areas ....hopefully one of you guys watch it and tell me if I'm missing something and I'm just sticking up for a fellow Knick fan or if the critics are just hating because it's "cool"

Dalyn
12-07-2013, 02:56 PM
reboot Indy?

blasphemy

Word is, Ford is pushing for more Indy...so it won't be a reboot. Thankfully.

goldfly
12-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Word is, Ford is pushing for more Indy...so it won't be a reboot. Thankfully.

have heard that and not surprised since Ford made nearly 100 million from that piece of crap indy film they made recently

Dalyn
12-07-2013, 03:25 PM
have heard that and not surprised since Ford made nearly 100 million from that piece of crap indy film they made recently

I enjoyed it. Not as much as the others, but still worth watching.

Disney is going to do a great job. Just hope they don't bring on Abrams.

Julio3000
12-07-2013, 03:27 PM
On the final day, I snatched:

The Ballad of Narayama
The Battle of Algiers
Big Deal on Madonna Street
City Lights

A bargain at twice the price.

The Chosen One
12-07-2013, 03:51 PM
The Abrams hype is killing me. Now that he's doing star wars.

Dalyn
12-07-2013, 04:38 PM
The Abrams hype is killing me. Now that he's doing star wars.

The sad part is, his approach is perfect for Star Wars. It just sucks for something like Star Trek. Don't get me wrong, the movies are good, but they aren't Star Trek. I am sure he will do a fantastic job with Star Wars. Just wish they would've had someone who respected Roddenberry do the movies.

Krgrecw
12-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I imagine Indy would still be done by Spielberg/Lucas. Kennedy (lucasfilms pres) said an in interview last fall that after her three year contract was up with Disney (fall 2014) they were all going to do an Indy movie. Ford said numerous times that he'd only do it if all four of them were involved.

Anyone know that the second highest grossing movie producer of all time was women?

jpx7
12-09-2013, 03:50 PM

I refuse to see the Spike Lee version; there was no reason to remake something that was so damn tremendous to begin with. (I felt similarly about the silly, US-remake of Let the Right One In.)

Have you seen the other two Vengeance films, or anything else by Park Chan-wook? I'm a huge fan of Thirst as well.

jpx7
12-09-2013, 03:55 PM
A bargain at twice the price.

Seriously. I saw it, for the first time, at the cinema about a year ago; riveting, and definitely worth the multiple re-viewings I plan to do.

That Morricone sound-track is sublime.

jpx7
12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
but they aren't Star Trek.

YES. THANK YOU.

The Chosen One
12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
YES. THANK YOU.

Barnes and Noble is having a B1G1 Free Criterion Sale 12/10-12/16.

Basically an extension of the 50% off sale they had (at 50% off they were $20, but since they're back to regular MSRP at $39.99, you basically are getting two at the same price).

Hawk
12-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I refuse to see the Spike Lee version; there was no reason to remake something that was so damn tremendous to begin with. (I felt similarly about the silly, US-remake of Let the Right One In.)

Have you seen the other two Vengeance films, or anything else by Park Chan-wook? I'm a huge fan of Thirst as well.

That's kind of how I feel -- also about LTROI, even Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (although I would drink the Rooney sisters' bath water.)

I have seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, which was superb, but not Lady Vengeance. I really want to see Snowpiercer.

When I lived in Seoul my (Korean) girlfriend went to the same university as Park did, Sogang. Her all-time favorite movie was My Sassy Girl (which, if you have the time ... is pretty forward for South Korea circa 2001 ... but very much a RomCom) and I believe Park worked on that film as well.

jpx7
12-10-2013, 03:56 PM
That's kind of how I feel -- also about LTROI, even Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (although I would drink the Rooney sisters' bath water.)

I have seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, which was superb, but not Lady Vengeance. I really want to see Snowpiercer.

When I lived in Seoul my (Korean) girlfriend went to the same university as Park did, Sogang. Her all-time favorite movie was My Sassy Girl (which, if you have the time ... is pretty forward for South Korea circa 2001 ... but very much a RomCom) and I believe Park worked on that film as well.

Snowpiercer looks great, and I'm a fan of Bong Joon-ho's two preceding films (The Host, starring the immensely talented Song Kang-ho (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_Kang-ho)*, and Mother); that Park Chan-wook is producing just adds to the intrigue.

Definitely check out Lady Vengeance, which I think I may prefer to Mr Vengeance (although I've only watched those two once, unlike Oldboy) and which nicely rounds out this loose "trilogy." Meanwhile: Thirst, I think, is the second-best film Park has directed, after Oldboy; his US debut, Stoker, was solid though unamazing.

I haven't seen, nor had I heard of, My Sassy Girl, but I'll give it a look sometime soon. I also suspect we may have been introduced to SK cinema by similar vectors.

*Song Kang-ho also has a tremendous turn in this really ****ing great film (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_good_the_bad_the_weird).

BRule
12-10-2013, 04:22 PM

You can argue whether great movies should be remade or not, they probably shouldn't but Hollywood is going to do it....I don't think that's a good enough reason not to see a movie. People are going to feel, how they feel, though...I don't blame you.

jpx7
12-10-2013, 06:41 PM
You can argue whether great movies should be remade or not, they probably shouldn't but Hollywood is going to do it....I don't think that's a good enough reason not to see a movie. People are going to feel, how they feel, though...I don't blame you.

Yea, I'm not really attempting to discourage others from seeing Lee's version; but I've seen and loved – multiple times at home, and once in cinema – the original version, so I'm in no rush to see the Westernized, English-language take (which I fear may be likewise softened and less potent).

However, I am encouraging everyone to view the original, regardless of whether you've seen and/or enjoyed Lee's interpretation.

BlackwaterPark
12-10-2013, 06:54 PM
New Godzilla movie looks epic!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

50PoundHead
12-10-2013, 09:13 PM
J.J. Abrams can do just about anything he wants, but I desperately want him to stay away from the Anchorman franchise.

zitothebrave
12-10-2013, 09:18 PM
I am not a fan of Abrams. I think he has some good ideas but think he lacks several skills to be great

50PoundHead
12-11-2013, 09:59 AM
I am not a fan of Abrams. I think he has some good ideas but think he lacks several skills to be great

I think Abrams is the king of television, but I agree that he has some problems in translating what he is best at to the big screen. I think he's a good story arc guy and it's almost impossible to apply that talent in a two-hour movie.

Krgrecw
12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
That's why I'm glad Kasdan is sitting there with Abrams. He can pull off a two hour movie.

The Chosen One
12-16-2013, 11:24 PM
One of the March Criterion Blu-Ray releases...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-production/release_boxshots/4220-24e878ae87060090d71abcc9fbde79d3/701_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

By the mid-sixties, Ingmar Bergman had already conjured many of the cinema’s most unforgettable images. But with the radical Persona, this supreme artist attained new levels of visual poetry. In the first of a series of legendary performances for Bergman, Liv Ullmann plays an actress who has inexplicably gone mute; an equally mesmerizing Bibi Andersson is the garrulous young nurse caring for her in a remote island cottage. While isolated together there, the women perform a mysterious spiritual and emotional transference that would prove to be one of cinema’s most influential ideas. Acted with astonishing nuance and shot in stark shadows and soft light by the great Sven Nykvist, Persona is a penetrating, dreamlike work of profound psychological depth.

Quote:

Disc Features
New, 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
New visual essay on the film’s prologue by Ingmar Bergman scholar Peter Cowie
New interviews with actor Liv Ullmann and filmmaker Paul Schrader
Excerpted archival interviews with Bergman and actors Bibi Andersson and Ullmann
On-set footage, with audio commentary by Bergman historian Birgitta Steene
Liv & Ingmar, a 2012 feature documentary directed by Dheeraj Akolkar
Trailer
New English subtitle translation
One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Thomas Elsaesser, an excerpted 1969 interview with Bergman, and an excerpted 1977 conversation with Andersson

Other releases in March:
George Washington
http://images2.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/92548_medium.jpg
The Hidden Fortress, a film by Akira Kurosawa
http://images3.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/49048_medium.jpg
A Brief History of Time, a documentary on Stephen Hawking
http://images.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/92549_medium.jpg
The Freshman, silent film by Harold Lloyd
http://images3.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/92547_medium.jpg
The Great Beauty, 2013 Italian Film
http://images.static-bluray.com/movies/covers/92545_medium.jpg

More info:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12830

jpx7
12-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Barnes and Noble is having a B1G1 Free Criterion Sale 12/10-12/16.

Picked up Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion tonight as the "get one free" whilst buying Science Is Fiction: 23 Films by Jean Painlevé for a friend for Chrimbus.

The Chosen One
12-17-2013, 01:07 AM
The sale is still on?

Oh crap forgot it ended tonight...

And I had a 25% off coupon too... Could've gotten them for about $15 each.

Dalyn
12-21-2013, 03:23 AM
http://assets.mixxter.com/images/730x%3E/72/11/6d/72116d3d1e444f4291fff85baaa6ceb6.jpg

The Chosen One
12-21-2013, 08:52 AM
http://assets.mixxter.com/images/730x%3E/72/11/6d/72116d3d1e444f4291fff85baaa6ceb6.jpg

I read Bradley and Barker are coming back for a rebooted Hellraiser. Can only imagine what they'll be able to do with modern CGI + practical effects.

Dalyn
12-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I read Bradley and Barker are coming back for a rebooted Hellraiser. Can only imagine what they'll be able to do with modern CGI + practical effects.

Yeah. That's what he's saying. Looking forward to it. Barker is a cool dude.

mossy
12-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Was very dissapointment by The Hobbit. Too much left out, too much put in.

First installment was much better, though not that great.

The Chosen One
12-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Lots of movies to watch this week.

Grudge Match (DeNiro Stallone)
American Hustle (Cooper, Lawrence, O'Russell)
Anchorman 2
Secret life of Walter Mitty (really looking forward to this)
Wolf of Wall Street (heard it's Scorcese's best in quite a while)

Dalyn
12-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Anchorman 2

Watched The Hobbit and American Hustle yesterday. Both were good. A few scenes in The Hobbit were worth the price of admission alone.

BRule
12-27-2013, 11:11 AM

Anchorman 2

2 of these don't belong.

Dalyn
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
I loved The Wolf of Wall Street. Such a fun depraved movie.

Hawk
01-07-2014, 07:15 PM
I am currently staying in a fisherman's cottage in Croatia for 36 days (don't ask), so I've had some time on my hands. Thank god for torrents.

I've watched:
Don Jon (Hilarious and relatable ... A-)
Wolf of Wall Street (Soundtrack sucked for a Scorsese movie .... A)
American Hustle (Phenomenal ... A+)
Lone Survivor (I read a review that described it as 'war porn' ... not quite, but definitely more 'propagandic' ... B+)
Rush (Excellent flick, action scenes a little redundant but top notch acting / directing ... A+)
Blue is the Warmest Color (Lesbian sex scenes were very explicit, but plot development first rate ... A)

I have Captain Phillips, 12 Years a Slave, Blue Jasmine, The Butler, and Out of the Furnace to watch ... but as you might imagine, a little movie'd out.

Dalyn
01-07-2014, 08:01 PM
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ron-Burgundy-Smells-a-Dirty-Pirate-In-Anchorman-Gif.gif

50PoundHead
01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Wife and I saw a few of the Hollywoodland blockbusters out there over the holidays.

I'm a big Will Ferrell fan (probably one of his oldest fans at age 60). I'm a little split on Anchorman 2. Some great jokes and bits, but the movie doesn't hold together as well as the first one. Still some classic Ferrell/Koechner/Rudd/Carrell moments. Had a bit of a feeling of an SNL episode hosted by Ferrell.

American Hustle was very good. They had the 1970s fashion look down to a tee, which I found troubling because I was in my 20s during that era of fashion tragedies and have been trying to forget those looks ever since. Great ensemble cast.

I was pleasantly surprised by The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Read some middling reviews and was wondering if this was one of those projects that the director (Stiller) loved so much that it would be loved to death.

Wife wanted to see Saving Mr. Banks and it was pretty good. Read an interesting interview with Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson in The New York Times that was very interesting. Really a dressed up story, but if you are familiar with the Sherman Brothers (the guys who did a bunch of songwriting for Disney), it's a great study in creative tension.

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom was a pretty good, unvarnished history lesson. Idris Elba is on the cusp of the big time and this will push him up a little higher.

I thought Hobbit II was alright. Tolkien's Catholicism just comes pounding through incessantly. Greed isn't good. I get it. Let's move on.

Philomena was very low key, but Judi Dench and Steve Coogan played off each other really well, making what could have been a bland tale entertaining.

Oklahomahawk
01-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Was very dissapointment by The Hobbit. Too much left out, too much put in.

First installment was much better, though not that great.

I liked Hobbit #2 (didn't love it though). I have likened it to Back to the Future II from back in the day, pretty good, just enough plot to keep the purists somewhat interested, lots of action but more than anything else it is a commercial for the last movie in the trilogy set to come out in about a year. The same voice does Smaug who does the Necromancer FWIW. Is it just me or had Legolas not aged all that well? Oh and his dad is a major ahole, I see now why he left to roam Middle Earth, and why Thorin wants to bust a cap in his sorry elvish arse.

Oklahomahawk
01-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Like we don't all know people who turn into pinheaded pricks around the holidays.

nocalgirl10
01-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Anchorman 2 had some funny jokes. (I also have a black man following me around on sunny days.) But from the lighthouse onward it got pretty dumb.

Wolf of Wall Street...no comment on that one. Haha

Good to hear Don Jon was good. I've been meaning to check that one out.

zitothebrave
01-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Finally watched Silver Linings Playbook, and ehhhh. It's not for me. I get why people love it but I don't think it should have been in the Oscar hunt like it was.

Though of course it could be hurt because I don't like Bradley Cooper. Also I don't get why people were all in love with Jennifer Lawrence as far as her appearance goes. I'm guess it's just the first time people realized she has chesticles. I'd bang her, but I don't get why people are bonkers over her. B-Rule explain!

jpx7
01-13-2014, 01:35 PM
I liked Wolf of Wall Street.

BRule
01-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Also I don't get why people were all in love with Jennifer Lawrence as far as her appearance goes. I'm guess it's just the first time people realized she has chesticles. I'd bang her, but I don't get why people are bonkers over her. B-Rule explain!

BRUH, are you being serious right now? This isn't as bad as the SAV/Upton bull**** but really??????????????????

zitothebrave
01-13-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't bone her, or that she isn't hot. But I don't think she's that hot. SHe's not top 10 celebrity like seemingly most people think.

BRule
01-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Saying someone isn't one of the 10 hottest people in the world isn't out of the norm. She would probably make my top 10 actress list but I haven't really thought about it. She also comes off as rather awesome, which helps.....plus boobs and stuff.

zitothebrave
01-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Saying someone isn't one of the 10 hottest people in the world isn't out of the norm. She would probably make my top 10 actress list but I haven't really thought about it. She also comes off as rather awesome, which helps.....plus boobs and stuff.

Her boobs aren't that good. She has a nice ass for a white girl. That's her definer. I'm not a fan of her face even a little though.

BRule
01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Her boobs aren't that good. She has a nice ass for a white girl. That's her definer. I'm not a fan of her face even a little though.

Dude.....

jpx7
01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
And here's zito, doing his best 2/10 - Would not bang impression.

Gary82
01-13-2014, 04:38 PM
I've grown a little tired of all the love she's getting on the net, but she appears to be a pretty cool chick and a fine actor.

zitothebrave
01-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Dude.....

They're not. I mean if you compare them to someone who anorexic then yeah. But its not like she's anything outatanding like Kate Upton

ESP47
01-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Finally watched Silver Linings Playbook, and ehhhh. It's not for me. I get why people love it but I don't think it should have been in the Oscar hunt like it was.

Though of course it could be hurt because I don't like Bradley Cooper. Also I don't get why people were all in love with Jennifer Lawrence as far as her appearance goes. I'm guess it's just the first time people realized she has chesticles. I'd bang her, but I don't get why people are bonkers over her. B-Rule explain!

Smartest thing you've ever said. I don't get it either.

BRule
01-13-2014, 05:37 PM
Can't believe this is turning into a thing.....................

So, because Barry Bonds is a great power hitter, no one else can be?

zitothebrave
01-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Can't believe this is turning into a thing.....................

So, because Barry Bonds is a great power hitter, no one else can be?

Well off the top of my head women who're celebrities who have as good or better racks. Olivia Munn, Katy Perry, Sofia Vergara, Halle Berry (ok maybe not at 50 but you know what she has been working with), ScarJo, Emmanuelle Chirqui, Lindsey Lohan (sameprincipal as Halle, but her tits are still fairly hot) Meghan Fox, and Kat Dennings (check them out if you get the chance)

nocalgirl10
01-13-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't bone her

I always get a kick out of stuff like this. Gee you're not saying you wouldn't bone her? Cause I'm pretty sure she wouldn't touch you with a 39 1/2 pole. But what do I know, I'll find my way out of this conversation and go make someone a sandwich.

For the record, I find Jennifer Lawrence to be sexy as hell. The one I don't understand all the fuss over is Olivia Wilde. She looks like a pissed off Russian all the time.

zitothebrave
01-13-2014, 06:43 PM
I always get a kick out of stuff like this. Gee you're not saying you wouldn't bone her? Cause I'm pretty sure she wouldn't touch you with a 39 1/2 pole. But what do I know, I'll find my way out of this conversation and go make someone a sandwich.

For the record, I find Jennifer Lawrence to be sexy as hell. The one I don't understand all the fuss over is Olivia Wilde. She looks like a pissed off Russian all the time.

Hey, bright side you know what's expected of you :YDS:

I don't expect her to bone me since she's rich and famous and could bang most anyone she wants. But its a standard most guys set if someone wasn't famous.

ESP47
01-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Jennifer Lawrence kinda looks like that trashy chick in jr high that only liked black dudes. The chick that would pull her hair back super tight and then let two strands of hair come forward for bangs. The chick that would talk about how she could kick guys asses and would wear windbreaker pants and a big Adidas jacket every day.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Jennifer Lawrence kinda looks like that trashy chick in jr high that only liked black dudes. The chick that would pull her hair back super tight and then let two strands of hair come forward for bangs. The chick that would talk about how she could kick guys asses and would wear windbreaker pants and a big Adidas jacket every day.

:tchop:

The Chosen One
01-14-2014, 10:37 AM
:YDS:

The Chosen One
01-14-2014, 10:38 AM
If there comes a day where any incarnation of Lindsay Lohan is considered hotter then J-Lawrence, I will just go ahead and give up on the internet.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
If there comes a day where Lindsay Lohan is hotter then J-Law, I will just go ahead and give up on the internet.

I mean let's be honest that's not happening, but no way is Lawrence hotter than Lohan was before she got way too intro drugs and eating disorders. That Lohan was something cray.

BRule
01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Well off the top of my head women who're celebrities who have as good or better racks. Olivia Munn, Katy Perry, Sofia Vergara, Halle Berry (ok maybe not at 50 but you know what she has been working with), ScarJo, Emmanuelle Chirqui, Lindsey Lohan (sameprincipal as Halle, but her tits are still fairly hot) Meghan Fox, and Kat Dennings (check them out if you get the chance)

We are done here

gilesfan
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM

This post is worthless without pics. I don't even know how Jennifer Lawrence or 50% of these chicks are.

gilesfan
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Im hung up on this chick at the moment:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRv_Ie5ft_B7B_iMUSiO5LMtWj02lBp HzF0YsNjrd0sCg9fXvAVA

The Chosen One
01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Brule used to be huge on Lohan also if I remember.

I've never been a Lohan fan even when she was supposedly "hot" in Mean Girls before she went crazy on drugs.

The millions of freckles did me in, don't care about her tits. I remember the shoot she did for Vanity Fair or playboy where they had to photoshop tons of her freckles.

gilesfan
01-14-2014, 12:54 PM
My top 3 acresses are:

Alexis Texas
Shyla Stylez
Abella Anderson

jpx7
01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
My top 3 acresses are:

Alexis Texas
Shyla Stylez
Abella Anderson

Those look like adult-film pseudonyms.

The Chosen One
01-14-2014, 12:56 PM
My top 3 acresses are:

Alexis Texas
Shyla Stylez
Abella Anderson

I think Monroe is better than Texas.

Also, Abella is probably the greatest rider of all time. Talking about knowing how to ride.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
We are done here

Hate the truth? I get it

BRule
01-14-2014, 01:08 PM
My top 3 acresses are:

Alexis Texas
Shyla Stylez
Abella Anderson

Sophie Dee

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Sophie Dee

Her eyes freak me out. Thankfully they're not featured much.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 01:24 PM
This post is worthless without pics. I don't even know how Jennifer Lawrence or 50% of these chicks are.

Maybe you should watch amovie? Ya know?

I'll try to only use red carpet **** to avoid the skill of photoshop

Lawrence
http://image.thehothits.com/640x360/jennifer_lawrence_golden_globes_2013_640x360.jpg

Olivia Munn

http://cdn01.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/06/06/Olivia-Munn-tenthings-6-Splash-695x1024.jpg

Katy Perry

http://www.hdwallpapers3g.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/KatyPerry_Rimmel.jpg

Sofia Vergara

http://celebnwall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Sofia-Vergara-Photos.jpg

I presume you know ScarJo and Berry, Berry because she's been around forever and ScarJo was in Avengers

Emmanuelle Chriqui

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpic/emmanuelle-chriqui-2011-espy-awards-press-room-01.jpg

Megan Fox

http://cdn.cnwimg.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/megan-fox.jpg

Lohan still has big ass tits

http://www.gotceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/celebrities/lindsay-lohan/2013-amfar-new-york-gala/Lindsay-Lohan---2013-amfAR-New-York-Gala-01-560x721.jpg

Kat Dennings

http://ilarge.listal.com/image/1958569/936full-kat-dennings.jpg

Also feel like a boner for not mentioning Alison Brie

http://cdn1.ouchpress.com/media/celebrities/606/alison-brie-604.jpg

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Brule used to be huge on Lohan also if I remember.

I've never been a Lohan fan even when she was supposedly "hot" in Mean Girls before she went crazy on drugs.

The millions of freckles did me in, don't care about her tits. I remember the shoot she did for Vanity Fair or playboy where they had to photoshop tons of her freckles.

You're allowed to have that opinion. You're probably alone. I like to think that freckles are several targets.

BRule
01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Her eyes freak me out. Thankfully they're not featured much.

Not that those are the things I'm focused on BUT I think her eyes are amazing.....as well as her other features..........

gilesfan
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Have some kids and then tell me what movies outside of Cars and **** you watch.

Sloan from Entourage is sooo bomb.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Not that those are the things I'm focused on BUT I think her eyes are amazing.....as well as her other features..........

Maybe they'd be better with someone who knows what to do with them. But they freak me out.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Have some kids and then tell me what movies outside of Cars and **** you watch.

Sloan from Entourage is sooo bomb.

I know plenty of people with kids who still watch good movies. Called renting movies online, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Sure you don't catch them immediately, but you still should get them.

gilesfan
01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
I know plenty of people with kids who still watch good movies. Called renting movies online, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Sure you don't catch them immediately, but you still should get them.

I'd have to cut out sleep or work then.

The Chosen One
01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
You're allowed to have that opinion. You're probably alone. I like to think that freckles are several targets.

I've slept with a few girls who had freckles and it was kind of hot, but none with the extent of Lindsay.

If the magazines feel they need to cover 95% of them, then that should tell you they aren't that sexy.

The Chosen One
01-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Pass on Kat Dennings, even with makeup she doens't look that hot.

Bewbs only get you so far Zeets.

gilesfan
I've slept with a few girls who had freckles and it was kind of hot, but none with the extent of Lindsay.

If the magazines feel they need to cover 95% of them, then that should tell you they aren't that sexy.

By slept with, I'm assuming you mean freaked out.

zitothebrave
I'd have to cut out sleep or work then.

Or you could cut back on your porn/jerking it to RG3's rookie card.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Pass on Kat Dennings, even with makeup she doens't look that hot.

Bewbs only get you so far Zeets.

The discussion was boobs.

And Kat Dennings has fantastic boobs. Look up her leaked photos.

I'm not listing people I necessarily think is hotter than Lawrence, the topic was boobs, I'm sticking to the topic. That's a different discussion.

And I would do horrible things to Kat Dennings. She's not the hottest celebrity but she's still a celebrity so yeah.

BRule
01-14-2014, 02:49 PM
The discussion was boobs.

And Kat Dennings has fantastic boobs. Look up her leaked photos.

I'm not listing people I necessarily think is hotter than Lawrence, the topic was boobs, I'm sticking to the topic. That's a different discussion.

And I would do horrible things to Kat Dennings. She's not the hottest celebrity but she's still a celebrity so yeah.

Right, the discussion was boobs AND you bring up Olivia, coked up LL and Fox........

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Munn is on par. I've never seen Magic Mike, but I've seen her tits in it.

Lohan still has great looking tits, still. Look at Canyons.

FOx is on par, or at least was don't know about after preggers.

Krgrecw
01-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Anyone looking forward to the 300 sequel?

jpx7
01-14-2014, 04:43 PM

I'm not, personally—but I am thankful that you've brought this thread back to movies, before BRule and zito totally ran it aground upon the fair Cliffs of Boober.

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm not, personally—but I am thankful that you've brought this thread back to movies, before BRule and zito totally ran it aground upon the fair Cliffs of Boober.

Puss

TURBO
01-14-2014, 05:17 PM

I am. Really the first one.

jpx7
01-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Puss

I'm a fan of it, but we already have a space for those discussions here (http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11).

zitothebrave
01-14-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm a fan of it, but we already have a space for those discussion here (http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11).

Puss

Gary82
01-14-2014, 07:21 PM
I just saw The Wolf of Wall Street. It's okay.

I will say it was a lot funnier than I had expected.

goldfly
01-17-2014, 02:59 AM

why would anyone look forward to that garbage?