PDA

View Full Version : Fredi will win Manager of the Year

Runnin
09-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Or come close to it. If he does I'm gonna LMAO. He and his whole staff have done an amazing job this year, even if all they do is stay out of the players' way. Youngest team in baseball, new team make-up/no more Chipper, injuries galore, etc.

Posters treat Fredi like an illiterate half-wit who until this year was coaching junior high girls soccer in Peru, but he's having quite a season. He's had to handle some delicate situations with the potential to cause problems (new prima donna? brothers, Gattis taking away McCann's playing time, excessive strikeouts, jumping out to big lead, untested relievers) and everything seems as rosy as ever. Like most years for the Braves, the team seems to really like playing together - probably an unwritten organizational goal but the coaching staff has a lot to do with carrying it out. Fredi deserves credit for at least not trying to fix things that aren't broke. Kudos.

Dalyn
09-04-2013, 02:04 AM
We know how that turned out for the Nationals.

Dalyn
09-04-2013, 02:11 AM
If nothing drastic happens between now and the end of the year, it will be Farrell/Melvin -- Mattingly/Hurdle.

The Chosen One
09-04-2013, 02:25 AM
Mattingly will probably win it, because the media loves Yasiel Puig.

I know that doesn't make any sense, but it is a media move. Who cares if the Dodgers have a quarter of a billion dollar payroll.

It should be Fredi or Hurdle. It will be Fredi if we win 100 I think, Hurdle if we don't.

Dalyn
09-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Mattingly will probably win it, because the media loves Yasiel Puig.

I know that doesn't make any sense, but it is a media move. Who cares if the Dodgers have a quarter of a billion dollar payroll.

It should be Fredi or Hurdle. It will be Fredi if we win 100 I think, Hurdle if we don't.

I imagine it is a pain managing that team. Mattingly deserves it.

Bravesfannchar
09-04-2013, 07:16 AM
I think it will be Hurdle w/ Pitt... Mattingly wouldn't shock me bc of the large media market/ffascination with the dodgers...

gtcway
09-04-2013, 07:35 AM
It will be unanimous for Hurdle if the Pirates win the division. Not that I agree, Fredi deserves alot of credit to have this team in this position with all of the obstacles along the way, but it's expected more from the Braves than the Pirates I guess.

thethe
09-04-2013, 07:45 AM
IF Mattingly gets any consideration its a joke. The Dodgers spent a billion dollars and acquired everyone under the sun during the season. They are an embarrassment to the game with what they are doing. This is much worse than the Yankees ever did.

zitothebrave
09-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Awhile ago I went with Hurdle and Farrell. Still leaning that way.

Russ2dollas
09-04-2013, 07:53 AM
i want to know if Wrenn gets executive of the year.

With all of the injuries and young players, it's amazing to be where we are.....buy maybe signing BJ to 5/75 disqualifies you from EOY.

thethe
09-04-2013, 08:00 AM
i want to know if Wrenn gets executive of the year.

With all of the injuries and young players, it's amazing to be where we are.....buy maybe signing BJ to 5/75 disqualifies you from EOY.

LOL....that should basically disqualify anyone but BJ is showing signs so thats a good thing. I think he has hit more balls hard the last week than he did the prior three months.

zitothebrave
09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
LOL....that should basically disqualify anyone but BJ is showing signs so thats a good thing. I think he has hit more balls hard the last week than he did the prior three months.

He did well before he went on the DL back in June.

Thankfully I'm sure we've seen the worst of Bossman, hopefully he'll have a big bounceback year at some point soon.

50PoundHead
09-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I agree Fredi should get it. Hurdle is an idiot and all Mattingly needs to do is write down the line-up.

thethe
09-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I think Hurdle has a case for it but I just don't think the non-brave fans realize just how many things have gone WRONG this year. I bet most people feel that everyone has been healthy and producing all year. Braves could have been a 110 win team this year if things went according to plan.

50PoundHead
09-04-2013, 08:39 AM
If the Pirates win their division or just make the playoffs, Hurdle will be the sentimental pick by the press.

depley
09-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Lets see, it has been 20 years since the Pirates finished above .500 , Hurdle is the winner hands down, don't care if the Braves win 100 games or what the Dodgers do, you have to give credit to breaking a 20 year slump.

bravesnumberone
09-04-2013, 10:24 AM
The Pirates are going to the postseason for the first time since Sid slid. I'm not sure how it's a conversation. Fredi should probably be runner-up, though.

bravesnumberone
09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
IF Mattingly gets any consideration its a joke. The Dodgers spent a billion dollars and acquired everyone under the sun during the season. They are an embarrassment to the game with what they are doing. This is much worse than the Yankees ever did.

I hate it too, but how is this the Dodgers' fault, exactly? Blame MLB if nothing else. They will become/are on the way to becoming just like the Yanks eventually. Bunch of terrible contracts on aging players with no farm system and hardly any titles to show for it.

weso1
09-04-2013, 10:28 AM
I just don't see how you can't give it Clint Hurdle. His roster is/was by far the worst of the teams likely to make the playoffs.

weso1
09-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I think Hurdle has a case for it but I just don't think the non-brave fans realize just how many things have gone WRONG this year. I bet most people feel that everyone has been healthy and producing all year. Braves could have been a 110 win team this year if things went according to plan.

Wren should win GM of the year. He did the most with the least amount of cash.

bravesnumberone
09-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I just don't see how you can't give it Clint Hurdle. His roster is/was by far the worst of the teams likely to make the playoffs.

It's also not the first time he's won in an unexpected place.

ProbationDeac
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Or come close to it. If he does I'm gonna LMAO. He and his whole staff have done an amazing job this year, even if all they do is stay out of the players' way. Youngest team in baseball, new team make-up/no more Chipper, injuries galore, etc.

Posters treat Fredi like an illiterate half-wit who until this year was coaching junior high girls soccer in Peru, but he's having quite a season. He's had to handle some delicate situations with the potential to cause problems (new prima donna? brothers, Gattis taking away McCann's playing time, excessive strikeouts, jumping out to big lead, untested relievers) and everything seems as rosy as ever. Like most years for the Braves, the team seems to really like playing together - probably a unwritten organizational goal but the coaching staff has a lot to do with carrying it out. Fredi deserves credit for at least not trying to fix things that aren't broke. Kudos.

I think every fan base has fans that are "smarter" then the manager so it's nothing unique to Braves fans. I think Fredi has done a great job this year. No manager makes the right move every time.

Dunit24
09-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Fredi Gonzalez makes dumb moves, but so does every manager. Cox is a HOF manager and I questioned him more than Fredi.

FG deserves manager of the year

Teheran_49
09-05-2013, 07:58 AM

I mean I can see how/why you would say that but I think their roster is pretty solid. Of course their offense before acquiring Byrd and Morneau was kind of suspect but their pitching staff has been great. If Burnett had more wins you could definitely make a case for him to win the Cy Young award this year, that's how good he's been. Not to mention Liriano who is also have a Cy Young like season as well. Liriano has been one of the best pitchers in the NL this year and Pittsburgh hit the lottery when they signed Francisco as he looks like the guy that showed so much promise with the Twins before all the injuries. Morton and Locke have also been pretty solid and Gerrit Cole has contributed as well.

I can see why Hurdle should get it but Gonzalez has also led his team to the best record while having a rash of injuries. You could just about field a starting 9 with all the year ending injuries the Braves have had.

Runnin
09-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Fredi Gonzalez makes dumb moves, but so does every manager.
I agree to a point, but to call every other thing he does "dumb" is dumb. He's making decisions based on much more information that any fan could possibly have. He knows who's a little tired or nursing a sore whatever that they don't want to make public. Besides, a good game manager should be a bit unpredictable at times and free to make the occasional blunder. Just because something didn't work doesn't make it dumb to have tried it.

That said, most in-game decisions are actually decided before the game in discussions with the staff. They pretty much know what they are gonna do in any situation.

sturg33
09-05-2013, 11:52 AM
If Derek Jeter can win a gold glove, I suppose it's possible Fredi can win Manager of the Year

Doesn't mean he is a good manager

ChapelHillMatt
09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
If Derek Jeter can win a gold glove, I suppose it's possible Fredi can win Manager of the Year

Doesn't mean he is a good manager

Message board posters will never admit when they are wrong will they?

Dalyn
09-05-2013, 12:54 PM

You are right. He is not a good in-game manager. Don't know why some can't admit that. I am sure he is doing a lot right outside of the actual game. Either that, or he won't be managing the Braves next year.

ChapelHillMatt
09-05-2013, 12:56 PM
You are right. He is not a good in-game manager. Don't know why some can't admit that. I am sure he is doing a lot right outside of the actual game. Either that, or he won't be managing the Braves next year.

lol.....he's going to be our manager for a very long time. It's hilarious that some of you think he's a terrible manager.

Dalyn
09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
lol.....he's going to be our manager for a very long time. It's hilarious that some of you think he's a terrible manager.

I think he is a bad in-game manager, and the facts are there to support that--look at how many decisions he makes that lowers our chance of winning at that moment. Because he is still here, I assume he is great behind the scenes. Think a great bench coach who he respects would be a wonderful addition to the team.

ChapelHillMatt
09-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Just because you disagree with a move he makes that doesn't automatically make it a bad one. You aren't always right and Fredi isn't always wrong. All I know is the man gets results despite having a team that has had to go through a lot of adversity. That means something to me. I bet if you polled other managers in the game you would find out that Fredi is well respected in the game of baseball. Only message board posters think he's a bad in game manager. I'm not saying every move he makes is the right one, I'm sure he makes his fair share of blunders (as do most managers) but this notion that he's terrible is much like the reputation Chris Johnson has defensively on this board. I just don't see it. I think people have a preconceived notion of what they believe about a person and aren't willing to change their stance. Isn't it possible that Fredi has improved since he got here? I mean I find it hard to believe we are able to win as much as we do if he's holding us back with his managerial tactics.

Dalyn
09-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Just because you disagree with a move he makes that doesn't automatically make it a bad one. You aren't always right and Fredi isn't always wrong. All I know is the man gets results despite having a team that has had to go through a lot of adversity. That means something to me. I bet if you polled other managers in the game you would find out that Fredi is well respected in the game of baseball. Only message board posters think he's a bad in game manager. I'm not saying every move he makes is the right one, I'm sure he makes his fair share of blunders (as do most managers) but this notion that he's terrible is much like the reputation Chris Johnson has defensively on this board. I just don't see it. I think people have a preconceived notion of what they believe about a person and aren't willing to change their stance. Isn't it possible that Fredi has improved since he got here? I mean I find it hard to believe we are able to win as much as we do if he's holding us back with his managerial tactics.

Couldn't agree more. But you can actually track how moves decrease or increase the chance of victory. It isn't perfect, but when you constantly see questionable moves that reduce the chance of a win...

Has he improved his in-game performance? Sure. His first year and a half or so, he was obsessed with bunts. Stopped that. Medlen woke him up a little with the pitchers, it seems. He has been better about that since. If wins is a team stat, you can give the manager a bit of the credit (like the starting pitcher) but not nearly as much as people want to make out. PLENTY of bad managers managed--and manage--good teams.

sturg33
09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Fredi is a terrible manager.

That's not me "not willing to admit I'm wrong." He proves me right basically every game.

jpx7
09-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I just don't see it.

You're not always right, either.

Runnin
09-05-2013, 07:55 PM

That's not me "not willing to admit I'm wrong." He proves me right basically every game.Best endorsement of Fredi yet.

CyYoung31
09-05-2013, 08:16 PM

That's not me "not willing to admit I'm wrong." He proves me right basically every game.

Nice edit.

Runnin
09-08-2013, 05:05 AM
What would people say Fredi's WAR is?  I will never believe, or admit, that it's negative.

stpeteirish
09-09-2013, 08:42 AM

they just go away and become Nats fans.

Braves1976
09-09-2013, 09:34 AM
they just go away and become Nats fans.

Hmm, are you sure? For example, I thought Gilesfan was born that way. :icon_biggrin: