PDA

View Full Version : Underrated albums in the last 23 years or so.

weso1
09-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Since the 90's.

Garbage by Garbage - Butch Vig knows what he's doing.

Darkest Days by Stabbing Westward - Maybe too much "The Cure" for some, but some damn good songs on this album.

Secret Samahdi by Live - Live's best album and it's not even close, imo. The other albums are mediocre at best.

Runnin
09-07-2013, 12:25 AM
So 1979 counts?http://thekey.xpn.org/aatk/files/2010/12/rickie-lee-jones.jpg

This album should never be forgotten. Just amazing, freaky-jazzy writing and a killer groove on every song.
"..weasle and the white boys cool, just like a weee eeee eeeeasle yeah yeah..."

"Company" still makes me cry.

Krgrecw
09-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Sparkle horse- good morning spider
Some acoustic songs, a few rocking, some just sound effects, some have strings on them. It's a headphone album
Melancholy lyrics.
No wonder the guy later committed suicide. Good album. Probably the best full album from front to back I've ever heard next to Appetite for Destruction.

zitothebrave
09-07-2013, 10:02 AM
While not underrated in the sense of people not knowing about them, some from my list

1. Vitology - Pearl jam. Ten gets all of the attention but aside from the few junk songs, Vitology is amazing.
2. Above - Mad Season. Doesn't make sense that this gets less press than other "Super Group" albums of the last 23 years since JMO it's the best. Temple of the Dog is pretty close.
3. Vapor Trails - Rush. While obviously not on the level of their early stuff, it's quite good but doesn't get the respect it deserves because of how awesome Rush used to be.

Dalyn
09-07-2013, 02:53 PM
The Church of Rock and Roll - Foxy Shazam

There isn't a bad song on this one. Amazing album.

Gary82
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
http://bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/upload/portisheaddummycover.jpg

I love this damn album. It's a shame I never really heard about them until Pandora started playing their songs on one of my channels.

rniki10
09-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Since the 90's.

Garbage by Garbage - Butch Vig knows what he's doing.

Darkest Days by Stabbing Westward - Maybe too much "The Cure" for some, but some damn good songs on this album.

Secret Samahdi by Live - Live's best album and it's not even close, imo. The other albums are mediocre at best.

I don't have anything to add except the fact that I love Bitch Vig!

jpx7
09-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? by The Unicorns.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Unicornswwcohwwg.jpg

This is one of my hands-down favorite albums of all-time.

I'd also say Radiohead's The Bends tends to get a little lost in the (deserved) approbation for their subsequent albums (most notably OK Computer).

Julio3000
09-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Loveless, My Bloody Valentine. Not underrated, exactly, but lost in the shuffle a bit. I kinda re-discover it every few years.

The Bends is funny. Some people sleep on it, some people insist it's their best.

Gary82
09-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Loveless, My Bloody Valentine. Not underrated, exactly, but lost in the shuffle a bit. I kinda re-discover it every few years.

The Bends is funny. Some people sleep on it, some people insist it's their best.

The Bends has strong songs in it. I'm partial to Just and Street Spirit.

I consider it a great entry point if you want to get into Radiohead. It's a straight up rock sound with very little experimentation. (though there is some.)

jpx7
09-10-2013, 03:18 PM
The Bends has strong songs in it. I'm partial to Just and Street Spirit.

I consider it a great entry point if you want to get into Radiohead. It's a straight up rock sound with very little experimentation. (though there is some.)

And I'm in that interesting place where I'm not sure it's necessarily their best, but I think it's really damn excellent and agree that too many people sleep on it.

For a long time in high-school, it was my favorite (along with, to a slightly lesser extent, Amnesiac). Then my preferences shifted slightly to Kid A for a while, followed by a prolonged and intense OK Computer renaissance, the initiation of which coincided with the release and digestion of In Rainbows (which you may or may not know was designed, in part, to be consumed as a complementary collation with OK Computer (http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/)). Suddenly, for the past few months, I've been slightly obsessed with Hail to the Thief again, but more than I ever was when it first dropped.

Julio3000
09-10-2013, 03:26 PM
And I'm in that interesting place where I'm not sure it's necessarily their best, but I think it's really damn excellent and agree that too many people sleep on it.

For a long time in high-school, it was my favorite (along with, to a slightly lesser extent, Amnesiac). Then my preferences shifted slightly to Kid A for a while, followed by a prolonged and intense OK Computer renaissance, the initiation of which coincided with the release and digestion of In Rainbows (which you may or may not know was designed, in part, to be consumed as a complementary collation with OK Computer (http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/)). Suddenly, for the past few months, I've been slightly obsessed with Hail to the Thief again, but more than I ever was when it first dropped.

I'm a big Amnesiac fan. I think it's the underrated album in their catalog. I did the same thing with Hail to the Thief that you're doing, too. I appreciated a lot more in retrospect.

Today's random observation on all things radioheadish: Gillian Welch's version of Black Star is killer.

Gary82
09-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Kid A got me into Radiohead. Listening to that album brings me back to being 18 and art school. Good times.

weso1
09-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Amnesiac was awful, imo. I like a ton of Radiohead's stuff, but sometimes I think if Radiohead farted in a mic for 50 minutes people would say it's amazing art.

Radiohead's first album was pretty good as well, but nowhere near the quality of Bends and of course OK Computer is just as good as it gets.

Gary82
09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Knives Out off of Amnesiac is one of the best songs (obviously my opinion) they've ever released.

I don't like Pablo Honey (first album)

57Brave
09-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I can't stop listening to Another Self Portrait - Bob Dylan