PDA

View Full Version : MLB Pipeline Top 10 2B

thewupk
01-23-2017, 03:01 PM
#2 Albies
#5 Demeritte

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/213958338/2017-top-10-second-base-prospects/?topicid=151437456

Chico
01-23-2017, 03:15 PM
I was surprised to see DT in the top 5.

Knucksie
01-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Begin the countdown for Jace to find a new home.

Russ2dollas
01-23-2017, 04:21 PM
That's not a deep list. The tiers from Moncada to Albies and Albies to the rest.......wow.

TD is a great athlete with in game power. I get it. I think they are glossing over the strikeout numbers........a lot.

Knucksie
01-23-2017, 04:39 PM
TD is a great athlete with in game power. I get it. I think they are glossing over the strikeout numbers........a lot.

It was mentioned, and they indicated that it improved in the AFL. See what happens as he progresses through AA and maybe AAA this year.

rico43
01-23-2017, 05:11 PM
It was mentioned, and they indicated that it improved in the AFL. See what happens as he progresses through AA and maybe AAA this year.

Demeritte's stock rose sharply from his AFL exposure. He is quite a trade chip at the moment, much more so than when the Braves picked him up. Call it a Bigger Stage Syndrome.

Carp
01-23-2017, 07:53 PM
That's not a deep list. The tiers from Moncada to Albies and Albies to the rest.......wow.

It's also important to note that he gets very good reviews on his defense. I get that he might not hit even .240 in the majors. But there's a decent chance he could be Dan Uggla while playing good defense up the middle.

GovClintonTyree
01-23-2017, 10:09 PM
It's also important to note that he gets very good reviews on his defense. I get that he might not hit even .240 in the majors. But there's a decent chance he could be Dan Uggla while playing good defense up the middle.

Dan Uggla was a very good player. Until we started paying him.

Carp
01-24-2017, 06:02 AM
Dan Uggla was a very good player. Until we started paying him.

He still was pretty decent for a couple years. Even still, while he's cheap you could stand to live with .220 average if he's also jacking 30 homers and playing good defense.

thethe
01-24-2017, 07:33 AM
Goes to show how awesome the farm system is when a guy like TD is an afterthought. He would have been a top 5 guy 3 years ago.

zitothebrave
01-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Goes to show how awesome the farm system is when a guy like TD is an afterthought. He would have been a top 5 guy 3 years ago.

According to Sickels, the BRaves had 8 B or higher rated prospects in 2014, according to Sickels Demeritte is a B- prospect, meaning he'd be borderline top 5.

But your'e right, our farm now is incredibly deep. We lack some top end talent with only Swansby, Allard, and Albies as A grade prospects. But having 15 or so B rated prospects is sick.

CJ9
01-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Austin Riley ranked as the No. 8 3B prospect: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/214061862/2017-top-10-third-base-prospects/?topicid=151437456

smootness
01-24-2017, 08:43 AM
That's a pretty weak list compared to other positions obviously, but Calhoun is a top 100 prospect. So there may be a wide gap after him, but Demeritte has jumped up from last year. He was #9 on the list last year and was behind Ibanez, Kingery, and Wall. MLB Pipeline seems to like him more than most, but that's a pretty good spot for him. It means he's probably not very far out of their top 100.

thethe
01-24-2017, 08:50 AM
According to Sickels, the BRaves had 8 B or higher rated prospects in 2014, according to Sickels Demeritte is a B- prospect, meaning he'd be borderline top 5.

But your'e right, our farm now is incredibly deep. We lack some top end talent with only Swansby, Allard, and Albies as A grade prospects. But having 15 or so B rated prospects is sick.

I'd argue that Allard is a top end prospects but overall I agree with you. Fun time to be a braves fan.

thethe
01-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Meant to write Fried in there

smootness
01-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Austin Riley ranked as the No. 8 3B prospect: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/214061862/2017-top-10-third-base-prospects/?topicid=151437456

Dozier is the Royals' top prospect. Yikes.

Knucksie
01-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Maitan will join them soon enough.

Enscheff
01-24-2017, 01:33 PM
TD at 3B makes a lot of sense. This upcoming season at AA should remove most doubt about whether is K problems are going to continue to be an issue.

smootness
01-24-2017, 02:22 PM
TD at 3B makes a lot of sense. This upcoming season at AA should remove most doubt about whether is K problems are going to continue to be an issue.

Yeah, if his arm is better than some scouting reports indicate (and other reports indicate it is), then he should definitely move to 3B. There just isn't a future in Atlanta at SS or 2B. I think he's likely a bench guy going forward, but you might as well give him the shot to be an everyday guy for us.

Orphan Black
01-24-2017, 03:13 PM

Pretty odd that it looked like all three homers they showed from heim were on off-speed pitches. Hope the guy can hit a fastball.

smootness
01-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Pretty odd that it looked like all three homers they showed from heim were on off-speed pitches. Hope the guy can hit a fastball.

That's the knock on him - may lack the bat speed to catch up to fastballs as he advances. He will probably need to become very good at recognizing pitches and starting his swing early to offset that some.

Knucksie
01-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Any time that TD eventually spends at 3B with the big club will be about as short-lived as Rio Ruiz, unless he could adapt to supersub role. Riley and Maitan are the bigger fish. Versatility at 2B helps though.

smootness
01-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Any time that TD eventually spends at 3B with the big club will be about as short-lived as Rio Ruiz, unless he could adapt to supersub role. Riley and Maitan are the bigger fish. Versatility at 2B helps though.

Riley and Maitan are both at least 2-3 years away. Demeritte could potentially be ready by the end of this year. If we really want to compete in 2018-2019, he could be a part of that.

And versatility helps everywhere. If he can play well at 3B and gain experience there, then all the better for his ability to help the major league team.

Enscheff
01-24-2017, 05:00 PM
That's the knock on him - may lack the bat speed to catch up to fastballs as he advances. He will probably need to become very good at recognizing pitches and starting his swing early to offset that some.

This is why he strikes out over 25% of the time and has been prone to horrific stretches of poor production. If he guesses right he makes good contact. If he guesses wrong...K.

I don't think he makes it above AA once more advanced pitchers exploit his slow bat. This is the biggest reason I'd like to see TD moved to 3B now if it's going to happen.

Russ2dollas
01-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Td strikes out all of the time too

If he can make enough contact his bat should play anywhere. Doubt it. But hope to see it

Enscheff
01-25-2017, 12:17 AM
Td strikes out all of the time too

If he can make enough contact his bat should play anywhere. Doubt it. But hope to see it

There's a difference between striking out because you can't catch up to a fastball vs striking out due to an over-aggressive approach. A kid can develop patience. Bat speed? Not so much.

TD is definitely a log shot though, that's for certain.

Russ2dollas
01-25-2017, 10:44 AM
There's a difference between striking out because you can't catch up to a fastball vs striking out due to an over-aggressive approach. A kid can develop patience. Bat speed? Not so much.

Is it over aggressive? Bad Eye? Poor hit tool? Some combination.

I know the slow bat is out there from some on Riley. But there have been leaguers who have slower bats. I use that temper my expectations from him (some have him penciled in as our 3B). But he could still be that guy. If he can stick at 3B he could be a guy that only hits 250 but has the XBHs to be a very positive player.

smootness
01-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Agreed. I think Riley is a slightly better prospect than Demeritte right now simply because of the age and because his raw strength/power is so impressive. And you just don't know until he sees better pitching just how much of a hindrance his bat speed will be. But it is definitely a concern, and if he proves unable to catch up to average fastballs, then his future as a hitter is pretty much over.

Enscheff
01-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Agreed. I think Riley is a slightly better prospect than Demeritte right now simply because of the age and because his raw strength/power is so impressive. And you just don't know until he sees better pitching just how much of a hindrance his bat speed will be. But it is definitely a concern, and if he proves unable to catch up to average fastballs, then his future as a hitter is pretty much over.

I would easily rate TD above Riley. TD's defense sets his floor as a bench player with occasional power. Riley's floor is a guy that doesn't make it out of AA (and I don't think he will) since his defense will force him to 1B and his bat will not come anywhere close to playing there.

TD will probably settle in as a lesser version of Baez...a toolsy utility player.

To me, Riley is almost a non-prospect...something like a 40 FV guy.

mqt
01-25-2017, 03:15 PM
I would easily rate TD above Riley. TD's defense sets his floor as a bench player with occasional power. Riley's floor is a guy that doesn't make it out of AA (and I don't think he will) since his defense will force him to 1B and his bat will not come anywhere close to playing there.

TD will probably settle in as a lesser version of Baez...a toolsy utility player.

I disagree with your overall assessment of Riley, but I agree TD is the better prospect. Both players are power threats with concerns about the bat going forward. TD has elite defensive potential at 2B, while Riley might be passable at 3B.

smootness
01-25-2017, 03:20 PM

I think that's fair. I just disagree on Riley. I realize his bust potential but think he does have a chance to be a big bat in the majors, like plenty of other guys with iffy bat speed but tons of raw strength.

bravesfanMatt
01-25-2017, 03:44 PM
I think that's fair. I just disagree on Riley. I realize his bust potential but think he does have a chance to be a big bat in the majors, like plenty of other guys with iffy bat speed but tons of raw strength.

I would trade Riley if I could improve my big club and hang my eggs in the Kevin basket at 3B.. I think Riley will be in A+ this year and hopefully he will have a good year to maintain prospect status. He would be on my potential 'Bust' list.. man I hope I am wrong..