PDA

View Full Version : #starbucksboycott

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 09:32 AM
http://www.buzzfanzine.com/trump-supporters-boycotting-starbuck-ceo-howard-schultz-announced-hire-10-000-refugees/

Has this country really gone this far off the deepend? Seriously? Is there no way back? do we have to blow it up and start again? I dont' get why for the life of me people would care that Starbucks vows to hire refugees.

Dont' get me wrong, I've never given starbucks any money. Their coffee sucks, their baked goods suck, and I'm not much of a coffee person anyway. I'd much rather support a local business when it comes to any kind fo restaurant, drink establishment, etc.

Krgrecw
01-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Because people think it's more important to hire our neighbors and veterans

gilesfan
01-31-2017, 09:40 AM
All that has happened in the past 4 years and it's boycotting starbucks that has you wondering what has happened to this country?

Krgrecw
01-31-2017, 09:42 AM
All that has happened in the past 4 years and it's boycotting starbucks that has you wondering what has happened to this country?

Zitos white guilt is hitting him hard today.

acesfull86
01-31-2017, 09:48 AM
Can't we all just get along? Trump voters can take Ubers to Dunkin Donuts while liberals can take cabs to Starbucks

sturg33
01-31-2017, 09:53 AM
This is the new thing now... any business that has an opinion requires a social media outrage and boycott

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 09:59 AM

How many "neighbors and veterans" would take a slightly above minimum wage service industry job? Cause there are plenty out there as it is. Seems like the local McDonalds, Walmart, CUmberland Farms, etc. are always looking for jobs. Didn't realize working at Starbucks was some kind of glamour position. Hey you get 9 bucks an hour plus split tips. WOOP WOOP. L'in the D

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:00 AM

Not quite like this. This is people offering people in America jobs and people getting upset about it. Seriously. That's what this is. Find me something like this that's happened in the past 4 years. Usually boycotts such as the Chik-fil-a boycott involve some kind of social movement.

mqt
01-31-2017, 10:01 AM

Starbucks would be hiring your neighbors. It's not like they're going to smuggle in refugees. These would be refugees that had already resettled into your community.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:02 AM
Zitos white guilt is hitting him hard today.

It's sad that white people can't be tolerant of all races, religions, genders, etc. without being labeled as having white guilt. But then again, I'm sure you're a MRA who thinks that men are discriminated against and black people have it easier in life than white people.

sturg33
01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Not quite like this. This is people offering people in America jobs and people getting upset about it. Seriously. That's what this is. Find me something like this that's happened in the past 4 years. Usually boycotts such as the Chik-fil-a boycott involve some kind of social movement.

People boycotting Uber because they serve their customers

thethe
01-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Shocked that a huge corporation wants to hire cheap labor.

Krgrecw
01-31-2017, 10:04 AM
How many "neighbors and veterans" would take a slightly above minimum wage service industry job? Cause there are plenty out there as it is. Seems like the local McDonalds, Walmart, CUmberland Farms, etc. are always looking for jobs. Didn't realize working at Starbucks was some kind of glamour position. Hey you get 9 bucks an hour plus split tips. WOOP WOOP. L'in the D

The job is meaningless but when a Ceo comes out and says I'll hire 10,000 refugees, why does it matter if they are refugees or not? Thought you were against discrimination.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:14 AM
People boycotting Uber because they serve their customers

First Uber is a ****ty company that people shouldn't use. Second they weren't boycotting them because they were serving their customers, they were boycotting them because they deliberately cut their rates to undermine the taxi strike. This would be like Starbucks saying they were firing all their workforce and hiring only refugees.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:16 AM
The job is meaningless but when a Ceo comes out and says I'll hire 10,000 refugees, why does it matter if they are refugees or not? Thought you were against discrimination.

I thought you were against radical Islam. Know a great way to stop Somali refugees from becoming radicalize? Assimilate them into our society with a job. Also how is it discrimination? Again, people have had opportunities to take this job. It would be like calling Walmart's pledge to hire however many Vets they wanted to hire as part of that PR/advert campaign discrimination.

sturg33
01-31-2017, 10:17 AM
First Uber is a ****ty company that people shouldn't use. Second they weren't boycotting them because they were serving their customers, they were boycotting them because they deliberately cut their rates to undermine the taxi strike. This would be like Starbucks saying they were firing all their workforce and hiring only refugees.

No... they cut their rates because the demand was so astronomical (bc of no cabs) that the surge was out of control. They did it as a service to their customers to allow them to get home.

But... **** THEM

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:18 AM
No... they cut their rates because the demand was so astronomical (bc of no cabs) that the surge was out of control. They did it as a service to their customers to allow them to get home.

But... **** THEM

LMAO. They cut their rate because demand was so high? That's literally the exact opposite of supply and demand.

Hey the whole state is running low on gas, let's cut the price of it!

57Brave
01-31-2017, 10:19 AM
they are scabs then

and the only thing lower than a scab is a snitch

acesfull86
01-31-2017, 10:20 AM
they are scabs then

and the only thing lower than a scab is a snitch

They're supposed to side with folks who have been fighting tooth and nail to keep them out of the marketplace?

sturg33
01-31-2017, 10:21 AM
LMAO. They cut their rate because demand was so high? That's literally the exact opposite of supply and demand.

Hey the whole state is running low on gas, let's cut the price of it!

Wow... this is becoming a bit scary your lack of knowledge on supply and demand (see the other thread)... Let's recap more slowly:

1. Uber charges rates based on demand of their drivers

2. When demand is high, they surge price (supply and demand)

3. Demand was very high at JFK bc cab companies were boycotting

4. Surge pricing was so high that it was very difficult for people to pay the rates

5. Uber suspended the surge pricing in order to allow people to get home affordably

**** THEM

thethe
01-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Wow... this is becoming a bit scary your lack of knowledge on supply and demand (see the other thread)... Let's recap more slowly:

4. Surge pricing was so high that it was very difficult for people to pay the rates

5. Uber suspended the surge pricing in order to allow people to get home affordably

**** THEM

Do you really expect most of these people on the board to understand economic and business principles?

sturg33
01-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Do you really expect most of these people on the board to understand economic and business principles?

It's getting harder

weso1
01-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Starbucks can do what they want as far as I'm concerned, but is it not technically illegal what they said they want to do?

mqt
01-31-2017, 10:30 AM

This is annoyingly patronizing. I can both accept that Uber made a sound business decision and also feel that it wasn't a particularly nice thing to do. Business isn't nice, and I understand that.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:35 AM

**** THEM

So you're saying that uber is spitting in the face of supply and demand, ****ing their drivers, all to support DJT

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:36 AM
BTW just to reiterate. Sturg literally jsut said that I was right about supply and demand, and that Uber spit in the face of supply and demand which is what I said.

mqt
01-31-2017, 10:38 AM
So you're saying that uber is spitting in the face of supply and demand, ****ing their drivers, all to support DJT

I'll disagree here. I don't think the decision was made specifically to support Trump, but to undermine their competition. If taxi drivers are going to strike and Uber jacks up pricing so much that many people decide to not use their service instead, Uber doesn't benefit during a period in which they stand to do so.

sturg33
01-31-2017, 10:40 AM

Yes. That is exactly what they did in order to serve their customers... yet the left is spinning as a bad thing.

If they maintained the surge pricing, the left would bitch about price gouging.

Can anyone make the left happy? Other than screeching marching women?

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:46 AM
Yes. That is exactly what they did in order to serve their customers... yet the left is spinning as a bad thing.

If they maintained the surge pricing, the left would bitch about price gouging.

Can anyone make the left happy? Other than screeching marching women?

LMAO. SO just to reiterate. I was right, you said I was wrong, then I clarified that I was right, and then you said I was right.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they're doing what they're doing. But it's just so ****ing funny watching you spin around.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:48 AM
I'll disagree here. I don't think the decision was made specifically to support Trump, but to undermine their competition. If taxi drivers are going to strike and Uber jacks up pricing so much that many people decide to not use their service instead, Uber doesn't benefit during a period in which they stand to do so.

Yes and no. Realize that Lyft didn't do the same thing. And because of the Uber system, they don't have a stable of drivers waiting. I also assume that the employees are taking the majority of the bath here. Not the company who I'm sure are still taking the lion's share of the fees.

sturg33
01-31-2017, 10:49 AM
LMAO. SO just to reiterate. I was right, you said I was wrong, then I clarified that I was right, and then you said I was right.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they're doing what they're doing. But it's just so ****ing funny watching you spin around.

It's tough reading through all of your LMAOs in your post... I read your post as questioning whether demand was too high.

Your personal immaturity notwithstanding... I love that you're mad at a company for allowing human beings to have a ride home from the airport rather than stranding them.

sturg33
01-31-2017, 10:51 AM
They're supposed to side with folks who have been fighting tooth and nail to keep them out of the marketplace?

That's right... those poor lobbying cab companies need all the help they can get

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 11:00 AM
It's tough reading through all of your LMAOs in your post... I read your post as questioning whether demand was too high.

Your personal immaturity notwithstanding... I love that you're mad at a company for allowing human beings to have a ride home from the airport rather than stranding them.

One LMAO = All of the LMAOs

I don't really recall me saying I'm mad at Uber for doing this. I said Uber is a ****ty company, but my belief in that isn't because of this event. People boycotting Uber though again isn't similar to Starbucks though I'm glad you're trying to spin it that way.

sturg33
01-31-2017, 11:05 AM
One LMAO = All of the LMAOs

I don't really recall me saying I'm mad at Uber for doing this. I said Uber is a ****ty company, but my belief in that isn't because of this event. People boycotting Uber though again isn't similar to Starbucks though I'm glad you're trying to spin it that way.

The reason for people boycotting Uber is just as stupid as the reason people are boycotting Starbucks.

I don't like Uber either... but they are far and away a better service than cabs.

acesfull86
01-31-2017, 12:00 PM
Boycott aside, does anyone like Starbucks' coffee? Can't speak for the fancy stuff - I drink one, maybe two, cups of coffee a day, black w/no sweeteners - but I've never been a fan of the regular coffee. Especially for the price.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 12:04 PM
The reason for people boycotting Uber is just as stupid as the reason people are boycotting Starbucks.

I don't like Uber either... but they are far and away a better service than cabs.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The reason for people wanting to boycott Uber is much more complex than this and much more justified. This is boycotting a company who employs about 200K americans, wanting to employ 10K more Americans because they said they want to employ refugees who are the people who I think would benefit the most from the jobs.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Boycott aside, does anyone like Starbucks' coffee? Can't speak for the fancy stuff - I drink one, maybe two, cups of coffee a day, black w/no sweeteners - but I've never been a fan of the regular coffee. Especially for the price.

Better than ****ty coffee, much worse than what you'll find at a local place. One of the things that I hated seeing, I was in Burlington, VT and there was a Starbucks that was just hopping, like line and everything, there was a local coffee shop just down the street who roasts their own beans and is superior that was moderately busy.

Julio3000
01-31-2017, 12:12 PM

JMO, it's not very good, particularly for the price. Anyone who knows their way around the equipment can make a better cup. They prioritize repeatability and efficiency, not quality, so the result is a product that is consistent but mediocre.

gilesfan
01-31-2017, 12:13 PM
People are boycotting Uber for 3 reasons:

Uber taking fares (at some point, lower) at JFK despite the protest. (this is beyond stupid)

The CEO made a non committal response on facebook. (this is beyond stupid)

The CEO is on Trumps economic advisory council (this is beyond stupid)

You have every right to protest (taxi cab drivers), but don't expect other companies to abide by your beliefs and stand with you.

Julio3000
01-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Better than ****ty coffee, much worse than what you'll find at a local place. One of the things that I hated seeing, I was in Burlington, VT and there was a Starbucks that was just hopping, like line and everything, there was a local coffee shop just down the street who roasts their own beans and is superior that was moderately busy.

They built a store literally adjacent to my local shop nearly a decade ago...I'm pleased to report that the local joint is still in business.

gilesfan
01-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Starbucks coffee is ok; not my favorite. But, it's convenient and quick and serves my purposes at times.

NinersSBChamps
01-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Ef satanic Starbucks.

cajunrevenge
01-31-2017, 12:23 PM

A lot of ex military people work for pizza hut so yes, they will take ****ty jobs just above minimum wage.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 12:35 PM
They built a store literally adjacent to my local shop nearly a decade ago...I'm pleased to report that the local joint is still in business.

There isn't a Starbucks in Asbury Park NJ and a huge reason is Asbury Park Roasters which is amazing.

gilesfan
01-31-2017, 12:41 PM
There isn't a Starbucks in Asbury Park NJ and a huge reason is Asbury Park Roasters which is amazing.

You realize it is probably just demographics, right?

Metaphysicist
01-31-2017, 12:56 PM

I do, but I'm not gonna claim to be a coffee taste czar. Round these parts people are always serving instant Nescafe coffee. The grocery stores have whole aisles of the stuff, but just maybe one or two bags of normal ground coffee (typically, gas station quality). So when I am traveling way out yonder to the big city and end up near a Starbuck's, I definitely stop in and am duly appreciative.

jpx7
01-31-2017, 12:56 PM
This is the new thing now... any business that has an opinion requires a social media outrage and boycott

The market has an invisible hand, but a loud mouth.

NinersSBChamps
01-31-2017, 01:02 PM
A lot of ex military people work for pizza hut so yes, they will take ****ty jobs just above minimum wage.

Yep. I had a struggle getting a crappy job when I got out of the army. Got an okay one now, but your point is incredibly valid.

acesfull86
01-31-2017, 01:07 PM

I guess people like what they like but I feel the same way walking around Manhattan seeing people stuffing themselves into chain restaurants.

acesfull86
01-31-2017, 01:09 PM
I do, but I'm not gonna claim to be a coffee taste czar. Round these parts people are always serving instant Nescafe coffee. The grocery stores have whole aisles of the stuff, but just maybe one or two bags of normal ground coffee (typically, gas station quality). So when I am traveling way out yonder to the big city and end up near a Starbuck's, I definitely stop in and am duly appreciative.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm spoiled with food options in my part of the world.

jpx7
01-31-2017, 01:14 PM

It's not about understanding the principles; it's about the motivations we're imputing to the actors.

sturg33 thinks, out of the goodness of their hearts, "Uber suspended the surge pricing in order to allow people to get home affordably", when theoretically they'd only calibrate surge-pricing downwards only to the extent that ensured maximum consumption of their service (since, in the absence of similar competing services, the only pressure on pricing was the literal maximum folks could or would pay, before looking for dissimilar alternatives like public transportation). I have no such faith in their reservoirs of charity.

I think they suspended surge-pricing because they saw a dove-tailing opportunity: to scoop up additional profit by flooding the market, in the absence of competitors, yes; but more importantly to purchase longer-term goodwill for their service whilst consumers were inconvenienced by competitors' striking workers (which is, incidentally, an important component-pressure of a strike, and why companies that engage in strike-breaking via the deployment of scabs are particularly vile).

sturg33
01-31-2017, 01:18 PM
It's not about understanding the principles; it's about the motivations we're imputing to the actors.

sturg33 thinks, out of the goodness of their hearts, "Uber suspended the surge pricing in order to allow people to get home affordably", when theoretically they'd only calibrate surge-pricing downwards only to the extent that ensured maximum consumption of their service (since, in the absence of similar competing services, the only pressure on pricing was the literal maximum folks could or would pay, before looking for dissimilar alternatives like public transportation). I have no such faith in their reservoirs of charity.

I think they suspended surge-pricing because they saw a dove-tailing opportunity: to scoop up additional profit by flooding the market, in the absence of competitors, yes; but more importantly to purchase longer-term goodwill for their service whilst consumers were inconvenienced by competitors' striking workers (which is, incidentally, an important component-pressure of a strike, and why companies that engage in strike-breaking via the deployment of scabs are particularly vile).

I'm fine with either.

1. They're doing a nice thing for customers while also trying to gain market share

2. They're undermining their competitors who have lobbied to keep them out of existence... Who could blame them for that?

jpx7
01-31-2017, 01:25 PM

Again, I'm confused, because I'd think you of all people should be happy to see this sort trend. Isn't this a model for how we could do without most or all governmental regulation, now that we've reached an age of informational hyper-access and social tele-connectedness? Isn't this just the free-market working how it's supposed to work?

A company does something. Consumers don't like it. Consumers suspend economic activity with said company. If enough consumers follow suit, a critical mass is reached, and either the company adapts, or it dies. Isn't that pretty literally your whole thing?

I have qualms about these sort of boycotts because I don't like seeing so much organizing energy dumped into either boosting or harming shareholder windfalls and corporate profits. I have concerns about perpetually framing and phrasing political action in terms of market activity. But shouldn't you love this?

jpx7
01-31-2017, 01:30 PM
I'm fine with either.

1. They're doing a nice thing for customers while also trying to gain market share

2. They're undermining their competitors who have lobbied to keep them out of existence... Who could blame them for that?

And that's consistent with your principles. My point to thethe was simply that the disagreement isn't arising out of deficit in comprehension vis-à-vis economic mechanics, but out of a different moral countenancing of what motivates Uber's action and what it means politically.

sturg33
01-31-2017, 01:33 PM
Again, I'm confused, because I'd think you of all people should be happy to see this sort trend. Isn't this a model for how we could do without most or all governmental regulation, now that we've reached an age of informational hyper-access and social tele-connectedness? Isn't this just the free-market working how it's supposed to work?

A company does something. Consumers don't like it. Consumers suspend economic activity with said company. If enough consumers follow suit, a critical mass is reached, and either the company adapts, or it dies. Isn't that pretty literally your whole thing?

I have qualms about these sort of boycotts because I don't like seeing so much organizing energy dumped into either boosting or harming shareholder windfalls and corporate profits. I have concerns about perpetually framing and phrasing political action in terms of market activity. But shouldn't you love this?

I've not once complained that these consumers have the ability or willingness to do it. I simply am amazed at the reasons they're doing it. It's completely baffling to me to form a movement to get rid of a service that most people really like because they simply performed their service.

It amazes me that people will boycott Chick-fil-a bc their founder has an opinion.

They have every right to do it. I'm just stunned they do.

But the market is powerful. And that is why I think we don't need parts of the 1964 civil rights act... Imagine the outrage if a business put a sign on their door saying "no blacks allowed"... they'd be out of business in a week. And the government wouldn't have had to lift a finger

57Brave
01-31-2017, 01:53 PM
In theory your point might be valid, but history is some funny stuff.
Seems now a days a sign saying "No Blacks Allowed " is a business model

Shoot, it got someone to the white house

Hawk
01-31-2017, 02:12 PM

Their "house blend" medium roast, Pike Place, is actually pretty decent (and rarely burnt). I prefer it to the roast Dunkin' Doughnuts offers by a country mile. It's only ~$2.50 for a medium (ugh ... grande) cup. When I'm on the road it's my go-to over chains like DD / Peet's / Coffee Bean / Einstein / Seattle's Best. Like you, I only drink my coffee black, so have never explored the "fancy" options - with the exception of those locations which have "Starbucks Reserve" brewers (which I find exceptional). They also have a good tea selection, but the thing that keeps me going back is the rewards program. It's available at every Starbucks location (franchise or not, and in many countries abroad) and they are extremely lax about 'shared' accounts. My immediate family pools together on one and we have about 12 free drinks/food items constantly sitting in there.

At home I usually just turn on the espresso machine and make an Americano. I have an AeroPress and a pour over setup, but these days my need for caffeine precedes by snobbery. Beans are another story, though. I really like Intelligentsia ... but Costco sells 2 pounds of co-branded Starbucks espresso beans for $9.99 (that's something like ~120 cups).

Oklahomahawk
01-31-2017, 02:15 PM
Has anybody here ever tried the Frida coffee stuff (named after the woman played by Salma Hayek in a movie that I've never seen)? A local Mexican food place (Tex Mex actually) has it and it's really good. Of course for you purists the stuff I drink you probably wouldn't even consider coffee. I like additives and sweeteners but preferably only sugar free. There's also a Java Dave's close by that I like.

Hawk
01-31-2017, 02:22 PM

I don't know if you can get your hands on any Korean or Japanese instant coffee over there, but it's surprisingly good for the cost.

I actually find Japanese canned coffee to be some of the most delicious (and effective) 'brew' that I've ever consumed.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 03:41 PM
I guess people like what they like but I feel the same way walking around Manhattan seeing people stuffing themselves into chain restaurants.

I think the same thing. ANd then cry up here where chain restaurants represent (counting fast food) something like 50% of the places you can go eat at around me. If you factor in as well the cheap deli/pizza joint type of stuff. then it gets even sadder and smaller. Around me basically in a 10 minute drive for dinner that isn't chain or pizza/deli I have 4 restuarants and one just does'nt hit at all near my tastes 1 is more fine dining which isn't my speed, and the other 2 are nice but you can only eat there a few times a month. So places that are more chain more common.

When I lived in NJ I ate at chain fast food, but I never ate at places like Applebees.

I got miffed quietly when my gf, her mom and I went to NY and we went to Sbarro for pizza. Sbarro. Ugh.

Hawk
01-31-2017, 03:48 PM
I got miffed quietly when my gf, her mom and I went to NY and we went to Sbarro for pizza. Sbarro. Ugh.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq5q823wV31qbbpaoo2_500.gif

nsacpi
01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
I wonder if those boycotting Starbucks are aware that it also seeks out veterans to hire and has been doing so for a while, with a goal of 10,000 by 2018.

https://news.starbucks.com/news/starbucks-hires-5500-veterans-and-military-spouses

goldfly
01-31-2017, 05:42 PM

First they have done that plenty as well

And refugees are our neighbors too

goldfly
01-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Starbucks coffee is ok

i'm not even sure if it's ok

had it a few times of different types cause i was given a gift card. don't think i used all of the gift card and haven't been back. this was last year.

prefer the little Cuban shop not far from my place, will go to Fresh Market right up the street usually cause my coffee maker is broken right now

BedellBrave
01-31-2017, 09:24 PM
Grande Flat Whites keep me coming back.

The Chosen One
01-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Dunkin' Donuts Iced Coffee >

Hawk
01-31-2017, 09:42 PM
Dunkin' Donuts Iced Coffee >

Their cold brew coffee is pretty good too.

NinersSBChamps
01-31-2017, 09:49 PM
cause my coffee maker is broken right now

Such a shame. First world problems.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:10 PM
Grande Flat Whites keep me coming back.

That's just a latte, or less foamy cappuccino. Mediocre drink at best.

I want to perfect my Latte art and get it on point.

zitothebrave
01-31-2017, 10:16 PM
Their cold brew coffee is pretty good too.

While I prefer cold brew to hot brew (I don't drink hot drinks typically) their cold brew is mediocre at best. Sadly where I live is largely desolate of good coffee. There's one place that tries too hard in town but their baristas struggle a lot. I do a mean pour but don't have access to Cold Brew.

goldfly
01-31-2017, 11:50 PM
Such a shame. First world problems.

without a doubt

didn't say it wasn't

i should replace it soon cause it's costing me more than making it at home though