PDA

View Full Version : Meals of Wheels

57Brave
03-17-2017, 01:27 PM
" Of all of the stupid and unsupportable and irrational cuts suggested by the Trump White House, this may end up being the dumbest – because it might be the most obviously pointlessly cruel. If the entire tax base of America can’t agree to chip in a few pennies to bring food to people who need food, and who are so grateful to receive the food, how are we even a country? "

https://kentremendousblog.tumblr.com/post/158500219983/meals-on-wheels-the-real-enemy

weso1
03-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Fake news. Only 3% of Meals on wheels funding comes from federal programs like the CDBG. So the funding that Meals on Wheels gets from the CDBG is only a portion of that 3%.

Even Snopes had to debunk the claim.

CDBG is apparently a cesspool of cronyism and corruption.

The Chosen One
03-17-2017, 01:57 PM
:cooter:

57Brave
03-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Or, is this just budgetary saber rattling ?
If there is anything we have learned about the Trump Administration they are not afraid to saber rattle or flash shiney things

50PoundHead
03-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Fake news. Only 3% of Meals on wheels funding comes from federal programs like the CDBG. So the funding that Meals on Wheels gets from the CDBG is only a portion of that 3%.

Even Snopes had to debunk the claim.

CDBG is apparently a cesspool of cronyism and corruption.

But if it's only 3% of funding, why did Trump decide to cut it. Savings are minimal and the PR is terrible.

Julio3000
03-17-2017, 03:23 PM
But if it's only 3% of funding, why did Trump decide to cut it. Savings are minimal and the PR is terrible.

Same can be said for a lot of the discretionary spending cuts.

weso1
03-17-2017, 03:31 PM

He didn't cut the Meals on Wheels program, he cut the CDBG. I'm saying that the CDBG only provides probably less than 1% of the funds for meals on wheels program. It's fake news. He cut the CDBG program because of its known issues with corruption. Will have virtually no impact on meals on wheels.

50PoundHead
03-17-2017, 06:35 PM
He didn't cut the Meals on Wheels program, he cut the CDBG. I'm saying that the CDBG only provides probably less than 1% of the funds for meals on wheels program. It's fake news. He cut the CDBG program because of its known issues with corruption. Will have virtually no impact on meals on wheels.

But if it has no effect and can even remotely be perceived as a cut, it's flat-out bad politics. That's my point.

weso1
03-17-2017, 07:01 PM
But if it has no effect and can even remotely be perceived as a cut, it's flat-out bad politics. That's my point.

Only because of fake news being pushed by libs. I think it's a good thing to get rid of a $6 billion per year corrupt government program even if it might mean bad politics because of media lies.

Julio3000
03-17-2017, 07:02 PM
That's the thing about a lot of these discretionary spending cuts. They play well to a very small, very narrow, very specific audience. They play very poorly otherwise (even as some of them, I'll grant you, are misunderstood or misrepresented).

Like 50 says, it's dumb politics.

Personally, I think the Rs have confused having a majority with having a mandate for a heritage foundation circle-jerk.

57Brave
03-17-2017, 07:09 PM
CDBG is money that goes to inner cities. So let's quit pretending what this is about.

Taking money from those with less to give a tax break to those with more

Julio3000
03-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Only because of fake news being pushed by libs. I think it's a good thing to get rid of a $6 billion per year corrupt government program even if it might mean bad politics because of media lies.

You know, the folks in Appalachia and the Rust Belt (to say nothing of the Deep South) who voted for Trump are on the federal teat in about 1000 different ways. This budget--and the health care bill--directly hoses them. It's hubristic and it's dumb politics.

No amount of smug Paul Ryan powerpoints are going to fix that. Trump could do it, if there actually were some substance to his persona, but I've seen no evidence of that.

sturg33
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Remember kids... there are not cuts that will be permitted from the left. Not a single one

DaneHill
03-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Remember kids... there are not cuts that will be permitted from the left. Not a single one

Boo hoo. Obstruction sucks, doesn't it? (Except we're obstructing things that ACTUALLY make sense to obstruct.)

sturg33
03-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Boo hoo. Obstruction sucks, doesn't it? (Except we're obstructing things that ACTUALLY make sense to obstruct.)

Yes - let the state control more of your life. Just don't complain if they tell you who you're allowed to marry

goldfly
03-18-2017, 03:49 AM
since some stupid ****s on this forum say i am "the left"

i swear on everything i own, i can easily cut the ever living **** out of the budget

as opposed to what some ****boy here says

50PoundHead
03-18-2017, 07:38 AM

And the right didn't push fake news against the Obama agenda? Let's at least attempt to be balanced here.

Hawk
03-18-2017, 09:46 AM

Well, bad politics to who?

Maybe to people like 57 who, despite having been informed, still remain wrapped up in a faux furor relegated to self-perpetuation in small, predictable circles.

I don't think the GOP particularly cares if (a small segment of) Democrats find it to be poor practice.

Others, either conservatives or just people who are interested in actualities, see the cut for what it is and this 'controversy' ultimately is gone like a fart in the wind.

When you can point to trillions upon trillions in national debt and call these actions 'fiscally responsible' measures instead of 'austerity' measures that's smart politics.

Hawk
03-18-2017, 09:49 AM
CDBG is money that goes to inner cities.

Lol.

Hawk
03-18-2017, 10:07 AM
This budget--and the health care bill--directly hoses them. It's hubristic and it's dumb politics.

I know you said ~1000 different ways, but could you list 5 for me?

5 that directly "hose" people in Appalachia, the Rust Belt, and the Deep South with hubris and stupidity.

weso1
03-18-2017, 10:17 AM
And the right didn't push fake news against the Obama agenda? Let's at least attempt to be balanced here.

I'm posting in the meals on wheels thread. I just thought it was pertinent to point out the fact that meals on wheels isn't being cut or defunded in any meaningful way. With that in mind I think it's pretty clear that the media has been a wee bit tougher on Trump than they were on Obama.

thethe
03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm posting in the meals on wheels thread. I just thought it was pertinent to point out the fact that meals on wheels isn't being cut or defunded in any meaningful way. With that in mind I think it's pretty clear that the media has been a wee bit tougher on Trump than they were on Obama.

Understatement of the century.

acesfull86
03-18-2017, 10:49 AM

It goes to show how difficult it is to roll back gov't involvement once that cat is out of the bag. Which is why I'd like to see gov't exercise more restraint when it comes to expanding it's role in society, but good luck with that.

50PoundHead
03-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Well, bad politics to who?

Maybe to people like 57 who, despite having been informed, still remain wrapped up in a faux furor relegated to self-perpetuation in small, predictable circles.

I don't think the GOP particularly cares if (a small segment of) Democrats find it to be poor practice.

Others, either conservatives or just people who are interested in actualities, see the cut for what it is and this 'controversy' ultimately is gone like a fart in the wind.

When you can point to trillions upon trillions in national debt and call these actions 'fiscally responsible' measures instead of 'austerity' measures that's smart politics.

A whole lot of old people in rural areas who voted for Trump also participate in Meals on Wheels and they may not see eye-to-eye with your analysis. My point is that for a paltry amount of money it isn't worth the headache.

50PoundHead
03-18-2017, 03:36 PM

Which media? A lot of fringe outlets that made a lot of noise during the ACA debate had the folks in the three-cornered hats that Obama was going to put everyone in grey jumpsuits and subject them to death panels. I'm not saying the media hasn't been hard on Trump, but when you play the outside-the-box game, you really can't complain about the arched eyebrow from those watching the whole thing.

weso1
03-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Which media? A lot of fringe outlets that made a lot of noise during the ACA debate had the folks in the three-cornered hats that Obama was going to put everyone in grey jumpsuits and subject them to death panels. I'm not saying the media hasn't been hard on Trump, but when you play the outside-the-box game, you really can't complain about the arched eyebrow from those watching the whole thing.

I think you read more into my original post then I wrote. I was really just trying to correct the record for this one instance rather than make a general statement about fake news.

BedellBrave
03-18-2017, 07:39 PM
since some stupid ****s on this forum say i am "the left"

i swear on everything i own, i can easily cut the ever living **** out of the budget

as opposed to what some ****boy here says

Oh my.

BedellBrave
03-18-2017, 07:41 PM
A whole lot of old people in rural areas who voted for Trump also participate in Meals on Wheels and they may not see eye-to-eye with your analysis. My point is that for a paltry amount of money it isn't worth the headache.

But you are thinking as a politician...

weso1
03-18-2017, 08:41 PM

But they're still going to get their meals on wheels. They may be confused for a month, but in the end it will be hard to ignore the fact that their meals are still being delivered. Don't see how that's a real headache for Trump.

BedellBrave
03-18-2017, 09:04 PM
But they're still going to get their meals on wheels. They may be confused for a month, but in the end it will be hard to ignore the fact that their meals are still being delivered. Don't see how that's a real headache for Trump.

It is easy to get so caught up in the short-cycle of beltway politics to think about how things might play out longer term. Good point weso.

57Brave
03-19-2017, 09:05 AM
I hate when I am housebound and confused where my next meal is coming from.

But, will only be for a few months.
Who are you people

weso1
03-19-2017, 10:44 AM

Who are you people

Then stop posting fake news about meals on wheels being cut and folks won't be confused.

Hawk
03-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Who are you people

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Hgfepfjc--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ao8eymjss42wv5tlu7hw.gif

57Brave
03-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Then stop posting fake news about meals on wheels being cut and folks won't be confused.

Fake news ?
WTF does that mean

thethe
03-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Fake news ?
WTF does that mean

News that is factually inaccurate such as your original post which implies that Meals on Wheels will not exist because of Trumps budget cuts.

Hawk
03-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Julio, this is a good example of where 'Liar' might be freely and correctly applied.

57Brave
03-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Out of curiosity I looked up the Snopes "debunking".
Worth a read.

sturg33
03-19-2017, 03:45 PM
It goes to show how difficult it is to roll back gov't involvement once that cat is out of the bag. Which is why I'd like to see gov't exercise more restraint when it comes to expanding it's role in society, but good luck with that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7Tu0J2V4AANu8m.jpg:large

sturg33
03-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Since Trump's proposed cuts, Meals on Wheels has seen a 500x increase in volunteer sign ups, and 50x increase in online donations.

Weird... bc I thought only the government could do these things

thethe
03-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Since Trump's proposed cuts, Meals on Wheels has seen a 500x increase in volunteer sign ups, and 50x increase in online donations.

Weird... bc I thought only the government could do these things

As you know it will be run even more efficiently and cost effective with the government out of the way.

57Brave
03-19-2017, 05:03 PM
"Libraries leverage the tiny amount of federal funds they receive through their states into an incredible range of services for virtually all Americans everywhere to produce what could well be the highest economic and social ROI [return on investment] in the entire federal budget."

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/libraries/article/73071-guns-or-books-ala-vows-to-fight-trump-on-funding-cuts.html?utm_source=Publishers+Weekly&utm_campaign=d23f5bd51a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0bb2959cbb-d23f5bd51a-305335789

weso1
03-19-2017, 11:10 PM
As you know it will be run even more efficiently and cost effective with the government out of the way.

The irony is that the government has largely been out of the way, which is why it will survive. It's actually a very strong example when libertarians bring up private organizations that provide for those who are the most needy.

57Brave
03-22-2017, 11:37 AM
As Mr. Trump and his advisers press for bone-deep cuts to the federal budget, Republican governors have rapidly emerged as an influential bloc of opposition. They have complained to the White House about reductions they see as harmful or arbitrary, and they plan to pressure members of Congress from their states to oppose them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/us/eyeing-trumps-budget-plan-republican-governors-say-no-thanks.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

The White House’s proposed cuts would be felt in matters well beyond economic development: A budget briefing circulated last week by the National Governors Association, a nonpartisan group, identified a long list of Trump-backed cuts to programs that support states. They include the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, a $3 billion project in the Department of Health and Human Services that helps people pay for heating and air conditioning, and the Community Development Block Grant program, a $3 billion initiative of the Department of Housing and Urban Development that funds local projects from affordable housing to Meals on Wheels.

zitothebrave
03-22-2017, 11:45 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/kaepernick-50g-donation-time-meals-wheels-article-1.3004757

50PoundHead
03-22-2017, 12:12 PM
But you are thinking as a politician...

I am speaking as someone who has witnessed a number of policy initiatives over the years that are presented in a way that produces more problems for the advocates than would be necessary to promote the proposal. There were ways to get at this issue that wouldn't have provided ready-made talking points for the Dems. Unless, of course, Trump wants to just look like a bully. This is a paltry amount of revenue to pick a fight over.

50PoundHead
03-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Because the on-going drumbeat will be that he cut Meals on Wheels. I don't see why this is so hard for folks to understand. Some scabs really bleed when you pick them. If there is any inconvenience, people are going to complain and they are going to blame Trump's budget whether that is fair or not.

Look at the ACA. A much bigger piece of legislation with certainly more discernible and significant shifts in the insurance industry. But it got blamed for everything that was wrong with health care on a day-to-day basis since its inception. Some of that is warranted and some of it is not. This item is a grain of sand compared to that in the whole scheme of things, but when people--especially seniors--have their routine disrupted, they don't like it.

57Brave
03-22-2017, 12:31 PM
... and why should they? A society should be judged by how it treats its parents and grandparents. Not by how many get away skirting taxes

If taxes want to be argued, that is fine. But the scorched earth starve the beast school of thought is for lack of a better word, cruel.
Even the mention of it

The word I've been looking for was arbitrary
this just seemed so arbitrary

cajunrevenge
03-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Love to see private donations. If these programs are so great and helpful then they shouldn't need to take our money at gunpoint to fund it. I have no problem paying taxes I just wish we had more control over where it's going. Knowing what I pay in taxes helps fund human slavery disgusts me.

57Brave
03-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Of course in an ideal world that would be nice.
And so would a pony and the food to feed it , in every backyard

There is an old saying in Tennessee and to be blunt
Get private donations to fund a program like MOW in one hand then **** in the other and see which fills up first.

The Myth of Private Donations
There is a reason they came to the federal government in the first place. And it wasn't just because they wanted "free stuff"

BedellBrave
03-23-2017, 06:17 PM
I am speaking as someone who has witnessed a number of policy initiatives over the years that are presented in a way that produces more problems for the advocates than would be necessary to promote the proposal. There were ways to get at this issue that wouldn't have provided ready-made talking points for the Dems. Unless, of course, Trump wants to just look like a bully. This is a paltry amount of revenue to pick a fight over.

I think there are two questions here actually:

1. Why do it? - There are reasons as weso has enumerated why Trump should have done this.

2. If you are going to do this, why do it so Trumpily? On that question I agree with you.

57Brave
05-23-2017, 03:03 PM
The Trump administration's proposed budget isn't just unconscionable for how inhumane it is, it's a sweeping effort to hamstring science, setting back lifesaving advances in both medical research and treatment that will inevitably make our nation sicker and result in unneeded deaths.

Here's a brief look at the chopping block:

National Institutes of Health—$6 billion cut
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—a 17 percent cut of $1.3 billion
Food and Drug Administration—a 31 percent cut, from $2.7 billion to $1.89 billion (supposedly offset by increased fees from drug and device makers)
Planned Parenthood—barred from Medicaid funding or any other Health and Human Services program
Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)—at least a 20 percent cut over the next two fiscal years, as a part of overall cuts in Medicaid funding

The CDC director had some immediate thoughts to share about the budget:

The cuts would negatively impact everything from the National Cancer Institute to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to NASA. The Washington Post reports:

The National Science Foundation, which dispenses grants to a variety of scientific research endeavors, would be trimmed $776 million, an 11 percent cut. NSF had not been mentioned in the administration's earlier budget outline, the so-called "skinny budget," which was released in March. [...]

In a separate tweet, [CDC director] Frieden listed what he sees as the dire ramifications of the Trump proposal, saying, for starters, that it "Devastates programs that protect Americans from cancer, diabetes, heart attacks, strokes and other deadly and expensive conditions."

Also terminated would be NASA's Office of Education, as well as five NASA Earth Science missions that the administration considers to be low-priority. The administration said killing those Earth Science missions would save $191 million.

In addition to the budget's disastrous effects on health care, the cuts would also dampen job creation in the medical sector—one of the nation's biggest engines of economic growth.

Rush Holt, CEO of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, said the Trump budget is short-sighted, particularly in assuming that economic growth won't be hampered by cuts in government-funded research.

"There's this rosy optimism that somehow growth will magically occur, and yet it cuts the principal source of that growth," Holt said. The proposal "savages research. Economists are clear: That’s where we ultimately get our economic growth.”

The budget was indeed so appalling that even some the GOP's most conservative members pushed back on the cuts.

One Republican lawmaker, Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, flinched at the thought of cutting NIH and such programs as Meals on Wheels. Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), head of the ultra-conservative Freedom Caucus, said of Meals on Wheels, “I’ve delivered meals to a lot of people that perhaps it’s their only hot meal of the day."

When you offend Mark Meadows with the inhumanity of your budget cuts, you're truly in the running for scum of the earth.

By Kerry Eleveld

cajunrevenge
05-24-2017, 03:06 AM
Hey you what let's just give everyone free money. We can just print that **** till it's less valuable than monopoly money. **** has to be it from somewhere. I would just do a blanket 25% cut to everything and tell them to make their **** more efficient. Maybe stop ordering **** loads of new for furniture and paintings to government buildings for a start. The waste in government is obscene. When there is no pressure to meet budget goals like a normal business they don't give a **** how much things cost. Gotta make sure you spend every penny allocated to you or they will cut it next year. Almost every program sounds great but just because it sounds great does not mean it gets good results.

sturg33
05-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Yep... Cuts aren't nearly deep or wide enough

thethe
05-24-2017, 07:25 AM

This.

57Brave
05-24-2017, 07:42 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAhgLrAXgAASaBF.jpg:large

mqt
05-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Hey you what let's just give everyone free money. We can just print that **** till it's less valuable than monopoly money. **** has to be it from somewhere. I would just do a blanket 25% cut to everything and tell them to make their **** more efficient. Maybe stop ordering **** loads of new for furniture and paintings to government buildings for a start. The waste in government is obscene. When there is no pressure to meet budget goals like a normal business they don't give a **** how much things cost. Gotta make sure you spend every penny allocated to you or they will cut it next year. Almost every program sounds great but just because it sounds great does not mean it gets good results.

Therefore let's spend the same amount of money, but funnel it toward the military!

57Brave
05-24-2017, 08:29 AM
I think we could cut more out of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
People are still getting colds and pollen season around here ... whew
What do those people really do?

57Brave
05-24-2017, 08:43 AM

Emma Sandoe‏ @emma_sandoe 17h17 hours ago

This isn't just about cuts to coverage- cutting Medicaid would devastate state budgets, put hospitals on life support, and cost jobs.

sturg33
05-24-2017, 09:43 AM
Over the last 10 years the federal budget has increased 42%... and we're supposed to panic over miniscule cuts to miniscule programs and call them "inhumane"

Get a grip people... we were able to run the country before and we will be able to run it again.

I say cut everything by 40%... cut income taxes to 0%... and give the people back their property.

cajunrevenge
05-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Therefore let's spend the same amount of money, but funnel it toward the military!

The military is the first place I would cut from. I Would have the troops home actually defending the country. We have plenty of money for healthcare so good you could get a handjob fromna pretty nurse once a week but we choose to kill and destroy instead. We can choose healthcare or deatgcare, we can't afford both.

The other reason I feel no sympathy is all these states have a means for paying for most of these cuts themselves if they legalized weed. Even the ones that already have could make a lot more tax revenue from it if there were not so many regulatory hoops to jump through to be able to sell it legally. Again they are choosing to use the money we give them to harm and terrorize innocent people. They need to prioritize the money we give them better. Maybe they need to think more like a business and innovate new revenue streams that are less harmful. I wouldn't say taxing the **** out of weed is good but it's a hell of a lot better than getting arrested and burdened with a criminal record.

mqt
05-24-2017, 06:38 PM
The military is the first place I would cut from. I Would have the troops home actually defending the country. We have plenty of money for healthcare so good you could get a handjob fromna pretty nurse once a week but we choose to kill and destroy instead. We can choose healthcare or deatgcare, we can't afford both.

The other reason I feel no sympathy is all these states have a means for paying for most of these cuts themselves if they legalized weed. Even the ones that already have could make a lot more tax revenue from it if there were not so many regulatory hoops to jump through to be able to sell it legally. Again they are choosing to use the money we give them to harm and terrorize innocent people. They need to prioritize the money we give them better. Maybe they need to think more like a business and innovate new revenue streams that are less harmful. I wouldn't say taxing the **** out of weed is good but it's a hell of a lot better than getting arrested and burdened with a criminal record.

It just baffles me that:

1) Conservatives in general are so eager to spend such absurd amounts to bomb the Middle East.

2) People are so opposed to legalizing weed. I still can't believe we are stuck with Jeff ****ing Sessions and his one-man vendetta against marijuana.

Runnin
05-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Isn't it Meals on Wheels?

weso1
05-24-2017, 10:29 PM
You know if you look at the glass half full from a lefty perspective, then you should be happy about cuts to the wheels part of the meals on wheels program.

cajunrevenge
05-25-2017, 12:12 AM
It just baffles me that:

1) Conservatives in general are so eager to spend such absurd amounts to bomb the Middle East.

2) People are so opposed to legalizing weed. I still can't believe we are stuck with Jeff ****ing Sessions and his one-man vendetta against marijuana.

Don't worry about #2. Sessions is going to have a rubber band effect on weed legalization. The harder he pushes the more people are going to see the light.

thethe
05-25-2017, 01:03 AM
Don't worry about #2. Sessions is going to have a rubber band effect on weed legalization. The harder he pushes the more people are going to see the light.

Seating of which. I'll be in Amsterdam in 2 days. Can't wait!

Hawk
05-25-2017, 01:21 AM
Seating of which. I'll be in Amsterdam in 2 days. Can't wait!

Where are you staying?

thethe
05-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Where are you staying?

I'm in Cologne for work the next two weeks. I have no plans where I will be staying. Any suggestions?

I just say though....Cologne might be the most amazing place I've been to. Not that I've been many places.

Hawk
05-25-2017, 01:51 PM
I'm in Cologne for work the next two weeks. I have no plans where I will be staying. Any suggestions?

I just say though....Cologne might be the most amazing place I've been to. Not that I've been many places.

Cologne/Bonn is a pretty cool area. I'm assuming that the Kölner Dom was one of your first stops.

As for Amsterdam, anywhere in the Centrum (except De Wallen - the Red Light district) is going to be perfect. The city is very compact and easy to walk (a little confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it) or bike. Downtown hotels can be a little pricey, but it's worth splurging a bit if you are only going to be around for a night or two. I have recently taken to the Doubletree at Centraal Station, because it's new and I have status with Hilton, but I would also recommend the Radisson Blu on Rusland (cool Soviet themed coffeeshop right across the street) and the Swissotel right on Damrak (way too crowded for my tastes, but a good location).

If you are looking for something super cheap, check out the Best Western in Zaandam. It's one stop away on the Sprinter (commuter train) from Centraal Station but it's only like $45 a night. Clean, nice, quiet. You can rent a bike from the hotel, pick up a spliff, pack a picnic (ie Heineken, Cheese, and Stroopwafels) and take a little excursion out to Zaanse Schans (which most people visiting Amsterdam don't find time to do, and they should). Zaandam itself is a cool little Dutch town and everything is sooo much cheaper than central AMS. It's also just a few stops away from Schiphol airport (I don't know if you are flying out from there or going onward in Europe).

Make time to visit the Anne Frank House. Walk through Vondelpark. Visit a farmer's market in Haarlem. Albert Heijn is the best grocery store ... probably in all of Europe. FEBO is a fun little novelty eat ... try the kipburger. Grey Area is my favorite coffeeshop in the city. Pace yourself with all of that stuff, in general - I find it to be much stronger than anything you might have ever tried stateside. Just walk around the city, get lost. Rembrandtplein, Museumplein, Damstraat ... Amsterdam is laid back and just ... really ****ing cool. Never disappoints.

Edit: Oh yeah, vlaamse frites (belgian french fries smothered in mayo) ... drink lots of beer ... don't pay more than 35 euro for a blowjob.

thethe
05-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Fantastic advice. I'll definitely take that last part to heart as well!

I haven't gone inside the Kolner Dom. It is certainly awe inspiring though. Should I make that a goal for the rest of my trip? I was supposed to go today but there was holiday in Germany today so last night we got pretty wasted and I golfed this morning. Came back and slept and now I'm doing work.

I will be driving up to Amsterdamn. I love to drive and wanted to make the trip. I have Marriot points from my PwC days. Do you know what parking is like in Amsterdamn? Can I cram all of those things into 1 full day and a part of the next?

I'll definitely take your advice on the strength of the goods in Amsterdamn. As I'm not an everyday smoker anymore I always moderate on the monthly (in some cases weekly) indulgence.

Hawk
05-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Fantastic advice. I'll definitely take that last part to heart as well!

I haven't gone inside the Kolner Dom. It is certainly awe inspiring though. Should I make that a goal for the rest of my trip? I was supposed to go today but there was holiday in Germany today so last night we got pretty wasted and I golfed this morning. Came back and slept and now I'm doing work.

I will be driving up to Amsterdamn. I love to drive and wanted to make the trip. I have Marriot points from my PwC days. Do you know what parking is like in Amsterdamn? Can I cram all of those things into 1 full day and a part of the next?

I'll definitely take your advice on the strength of the goods in Amsterdamn. As I'm not an everyday smoker anymore I always moderate on the monthly (in some cases weekly) indulgence.

Honestly? The only religious site in Europe that I can remember having felt good after having waited/paid to enter was St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. Once you've seen the inside of one, you've seen them all. That being said, if you can go ... go. The stained glass at the Dom is remarkable.

It's really cool that you are driving. I did a Peugeot buy-back one summer and crisscrossed Europe. Gas was terrifyingly expensive and I didn't have a GPS ... but it was one of the most memorable trips I have ever taken. I have to tell you though, driving in Amsterdam is really difficult (trams are everywhere and rule the road) and parking can run you at least 50 euro a day - some places without in-and-out privileges. Most hotels have underground garages though. I'm sure that the Marriott does. I have not stayed there but know exactly where it is - great area.

BTW, if you decide not to drive, the express trains (Thalys or DB ICE) from Cologne to AMS are only 2.5 hours and cost $20 each way.

If you are going to only be in Amsterdam for 1.5 days I would recommend staying downtown entirely. You can do pretty much everything on foot without taking a cab or public transit. If you are thinking about the Anne Frank house, check the website now for reservations. It sells out early, and the line is atrocious. It might be something to save for next time if you want to make sure to see the rest of the city. Otherwise, you are going to find most of the other things I mentioned just by stumbling around. On that note, I would recommend saving the coffeeshops until the evening. That way you don't get too debilitated early. Haha.

Have fun dude. Were you at a conference in Cologne or are you doing work with a German company?

thethe
05-25-2017, 02:57 PM
I work for a multinational company that has made acquisitions in Europe over the past 4 years. We are implenting a new accounting information system so I'm here to assist with that roll out. Additionally, one of my principle responsibilities is for the consolidation's of our European operations an therfore the face to face networking is integral for my role.

Again Hawk, thanks for this advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

AerchAngel
05-25-2017, 03:08 PM
My former wife is from Duisburg, so when we visit family in the Nordrhein-Westfalen area we always make a trip to Zeist or Utrecht and hitting the club scene in Amsterdam (I was 21 when we dated so we went clubbing every chance we got). She lived in Koblenz when we met so going through Andernach Bonn, Duesseldorf, Koeln (Cologne) was an awesome drive. I bet Hawk did it many times and I would not doubt he hit the Deutsches Eck as well, great resturants and pubs along the front.

The best Donar Kebabs I ever have was in Neuewied which is right across from Andernach/Koblenz. To this day haven't found one as good and they are not like the ones you buy in the states either.

Thethe watch yourself in Amsterdam at night, some shady people do come out so stick to being with a group of people. But enjoy yourself. There is a lot of great towns in that region. Aachen, Monchengladbach are not shabby as you can spend days in middling towns (if you can call towns with 200 to 300k middling) just looking at sites alone.

My daughter will probably marry in the next few years so I will be going back to my old stomping grounds to visit family and I will most definitely stop by my favorite kebab shop if it is still there.

The best discotheques I visited were in Zeist and Amsterdam, the one in Neuewied called the Hippodrome was the best. Koblenz had a very nice one as well.

I am jealous that Hawk can see these places all the time and mostly at whim. I spent a good decade in Europe and wish I could do it all over. So different than here and probably even better today due to technology alone. Back in the 80's and 90's they were kind of behind of the times compared when I moved back to the states.

I wish I could remember all the places I been but it would be pages of posts. Oh Hawk, the lake near Remagen, between Bonn and Andernach, you see the bridge (WWII and a movie made about it) but Maria Laach See is a nice place and I am not talking about the Abbey which is nice. The water is like perfect.

AerchAngel
05-25-2017, 03:11 PM
I work for a multinational company that has made acquisitions in Europe over the past 4 years. We are implenting a new accounting information system so I'm here to assist with that roll out. Additionally, one of my principle responsibilities is for the consolidation's of our European operations an therfore the face to face networking is integral for my role.

Again Hawk, thanks for this advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Need a programmer, SQL, Oracle, VB. NET, ASP.NET qualified but I dabble in other languages as well when work needs it.

Are you dealing with SAP or Netsuite for roll outs, we seen a influx of companies switching to them?

chop2chip
05-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Another strong recommendation for that general area is Maastricht, Netherlands. It's fairly close to Cologne and it's centrum is as impressive as any I have been to in Europe.

But if you are going for a more traditional European experience, then you cannot do wrong by Amsterdam. I second many of Hawk's suggestion and add Keukenhof to that list. It's a massive tulip garden and this is a great time of year for that. It's fairly close to Amsterdam/Haarlem.

As for the Frites. I recommend Frites Oorlog. Belgian fries with mayo and sate sauce. Immaculate.

Enjoy your trip!

AerchAngel
05-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Heineken brewery is cool as well.

thethe
05-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Need a programmer, SQL, Oracle, VB. NET, ASP.NET qualified but I dabble in other languages as well when work needs it.

Are you dealing with SAP or Netsuite for roll outs, we seen a influx of companies switching to them?

I'm not privy to the needs from our IT function. We are actually moving to ax 2012 but I'd refer sap.

Thank you all for the advice!

57Brave
10-09-2017, 07:07 AM
https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22308582_1472897066130967_6625834629910056947_n.jp g?oh=cc8243d87e7e63b2c862e8ca304f87bd&oe=5A73BA93

Securing the stadium cost a small fortune I'd guess
So total, we are looking at $300K on the low side.

They wanted to cut Meals on Wheels funds.
$300K plus, extravagant ski trips for his kids, weekly golf outings and of course mis use / abuse of power by cabinet members ...

Any one want to cut meals for old destitute people today ?