View Full Version : FYI: Braves free agents in 2014

rico43
09-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Brian McCann (no option)
Tim Hudson (no option)
Paul Maholm (no option)
Scott Downs
Eric O'Flaherty (no option)
Reed Johnson ($150 K buyout, $1.6 club option)
Kameron Loe
Luis Ayala
Freddy Garcia
Paul Janish (should be 6th year)
Ramiro Pena

McCann has been thouroughly hashed out and I think we agree that we have no clue as to his future in Atlanta. The other guys are the ones I'm wondering about. Sounds like Hudson will give a hometown price on re-signing, but is there anyone else there they need to keep?

NYCBrave
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
It's interesting that the emergence of Avilan, Ayala and Carpenter pretty much made Venters (non-tender candidate) and O'Flaherty expendable. Downs and Ayala I could see brought back if it's a reasonable rate.

The thing with Hudson is, do we even have a spot for him? If Beachy is back next year, that means Minor, Medlen, Beachy, Wood and Teheran are locked into the rotation. Plus we have a few other guys quickly rising in the system.

PawPawMaxwell
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Brian McCann (no option)
Tim Hudson (no option)
Paul Maholm (no option)
Scott Downs
Eric O'Flaherty (no option)
Reed Johnson ($150 K buyout, $1.6 club option)
Kameron Loe
Luis Ayala
Freddy Garcia
Paul Janish (should be 6th year)
Ramiro Pena

McCann has been thouroughly hashed out and I think we agree that we have no clue as to his future in Atlanta. The other guys are the ones I'm wondering about. Sounds like Hudson will give a hometown price on re-signing, but is there anyone else there they need to keep?
Buy out Reed Johnson simply because he is RH, team will be heavily RH next year. Try OFlay on an incentive laden deal. Hudson probably if cheap enough. Every team needs a #5. Rest are pretty fungible.

Orphan Black
09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm guessing they'll keep Reed Johnson, and probably try to keep Pena. I don't know that they need to keep anyone on the list. I hope they can sign McCann, and I hope they sign Hudson.

nsacpi
09-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Pena will be in his first season of arbitration eligibility and therefore not a free agent. Janish will also be arbitration eligible. It is less clear in his case that the team will offer arbitration. If they don't he will be a free agent.

The bullpen will be an interesting area. Downs, Ayala, and EOF hit free agency. Decisions will have to be made on whether to offer arbitration to Venters and Martinez.

Looking at relievers who are currently healthy and under contractual control for next year, we have: Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Carpenter, Varvaro. That leaves a couple spots. Gearrin and Hale are on the 40-man roster and presumably will compete for jobs next spring. Gearrin has been dealing with tendinitis in his shoulder and has not pitched since being sent down to the minors in early July.

Given the group that is coming back, I think the Braves will strongly consider bringing back Downs and/or EOF. The latter should be ready sometime in May or June. Or they might try to pick up another lefty in the off-season for the pen.

nsacpi
09-12-2013, 10:36 AM
The thing with Hudson is, do we even have a spot for him? If Beachy is back next year, that means Minor, Medlen, Beachy, Wood and Teheran are locked into the rotation. Plus we have a few other guys quickly rising in the system.

Usually you need 8 or 9 starting pitchers to get through the season. It is a long season. I think they will bring back Huddy. There are some questions about Beachy's arm that make it even more important to have starting pitching depth. In the best case scenario where all six come out strong and healthy through spring training, you can send Wood down to AAA and wait for the inevitable need for someone to step into the starting rotation. Or you could start Wood out in the pen, and send him down to AAA to get stretched out when the need arises.

BRule
09-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Mac/Pena/Downs are the only people we should attempt to bring back.

Braves1976
09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Usually you need 8 or 9 starting pitchers to get through the season. It is a long season. I think they will bring back Huddy. There are some questions about Beachy's arm that make it even more important to have starting pitching depth. In the best case scenario where all six come out strong and healthy through spring training, you can send Wood down to AAA and wait for the inevitable need for someone to step into the starting rotation. Or you could start Wood out in the pen, and send him down to AAA to get stretched out when the need arises.

Good points about pitching needs, I also agree about bringing back Huddy. But I could see Medlen traded this off-season too.

emk418
09-12-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm just not so sure we need to spend money on Hudson. We should have Minor, Teheran, Medlen, Beachy and Wood. Spend the money elsewhere.

thethe
09-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I doubt Mac will be back.

bravebonebook
09-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Brian McCann (no option): I see the pros and cons of his return; absolutely no idea!
Tim Hudson (no option) Cannot let his Braves career end like that and need the insurance from a team friendly deal
Paul Maholm (no option) See ya!
Scott Downs Re-sign; good pitcher to have
Eric O'Flaherty (no option) If returning to form, absolutely resign!
Reed Johnson ($150 K buyout, $1.6 club option) Pretty cheap to keep; probably resign
Kameron Loe Are you kidding...?
Luis Ayala Maybe...might just need the extra arm for insurance, AAA bound??
Freddy Garcia Doubt it highly
Paul Janish (should be 6th year) If he's willing to spend most of his time in Gwinnett, then good insurance otherwise, see ya.
Ramiro Pena Doing good when injured; arbitration eligible so resign.

Just my thoughts...

BlackwaterPark
09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Boom!

Heyward
09-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Mac/Pena/Downs are the only people we should attempt to bring back.

It's pretty much Mac, everyone else is replaceable.

clvclv
09-12-2013, 01:50 PM
1.) Brian McCann (no option)
2.) Tim Hudson (no option)
3.) Paul Maholm (no option)
4.) Scott Downs
5.) Eric O'Flaherty (no option)
6.) Reed Johnson ($150 K buyout, $1.6 club option)
7.) Kameron Loe
8.) Luis Ayala
9.) Freddy Garcia
10.) Paul Janish (should be 6th year)
11.) Ramiro Pena

1.) Mac is gone. Can't possibly see justification for spending the money even for a hometown discount. Do you lose a little defensively if Gattis is your starter behind the plate? Sure. But having him as the "everyday" Catcher allows you to continue carrying 3 Catchers, utilizing Laird in the event you need him to help with younger arms as they're brought up (and could imagine a scenario where he becomes Julio's caddy - Gerald's been a huge part of his development). Bethancourt can be used in the event Fredi REALLY wants a defensive guy back there late in a close game.
2.) If Huddy will re-sign for around $6-$8 million I can definitely see him being brought back, no question.
3.) Maholm is gone - sure wish Beachy's return had gone swimmingly and we could've gotten something for him at the deadline.
4. & 5.) I think EOF and Downs are joined at the hip - whichever can be retained the cheapest will be brought back.
6.) Reed will be bought out. Terdoslavich and Gattis provide you arguably better bats off the bench, and Schafer will be cheaper to re-sign as a backup CF.
7.) Loe - obviously gone.
8.) Ayala is an interesting case. Always nice to have an experienced guy that can get groundballs out there whenever you need him. Should be inexpensive to retain (and Fredi obviously trusts him). That said, Hale, Graham, and several others would be even cheaper.
9.) Garcia is gone.
10.) Janish likely won't be retained even though he'd give you a superior defensive SS UNTIL Pena's healthy. Gotta figure that Elliott Johnson will be brought back instead - gives you much more versatility, an additional tool with his speed, and another switch-hitter - at least until Pena returns.
11.) Pena will likely be retained as long as no one else realizes his value and is willing to spend significant money on him while he's rehabbing.

3 Cs - Gattis, Laird, Bethancourt
3/4 1Bs - Freeman, Terdoslavich, Gattis, Johnson
2 2Bs - Uggla and Johnson (with La Stella knocking on the door)
2 SSs - Simmons and Johnson (with Pena on the way back)
2 3Bs - Johnson and Johnson (with Pena on the way back)

7 OFs - Upton, Upton, Heyward, Schafer, Terdoslavich, Gattis

Wood in limbo if Huddy re-signs and Beachy's healthy. Could be used in the pen, but I don't think that's likely. Much better idea to have him stretched out and ready in Gwinnett.

Personally think Venters and EOF are gone if Downs can be retained. Wood would give you an option for a third LHP out of the pen without the injury concerns. Absolutely believe Venters is a non-tender candidate - guys coming off a second TJ surgery don't have nearly as much success as those who've had one.

Heyward
09-12-2013, 02:22 PM
As much as I love Huddy, it's time to part ways.

Julio, Meds, Minor, Beachy, Wood as the starters next year.

But I wouldn't be totally stunned if we shopped Meds to retool the farm system a little bit.

Temo
09-12-2013, 03:07 PM
I don't feel comfortable trusting Beachy's elbow next year. I wouldn't mind having all 6 guys. Pitching depth is good.

Enscheff
09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
I would be very surprised if Hudson isn't brought back.

cajunrevenge
09-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I agree. We can't assume Beachy will be healthy. Re-sign Hudson and if everyone is healthy start Beachy in the pen. Without being able to log many innings this year it would not be wise to jump Beachy to 200 innings next year even if he is healthy.

As for Venters amd O'Flaherty I would bring both back. Lets not forget just how good Venters was at one time. There is little risk bringing him back. With O'Flaherty I would give him am incentive deal and try to get an option for the 2015 season. I think he won't get much guaranteed coming off injury and I assume he would prefer to try and rebuild his value with the team he has had all his success.

The Braves should have plenty of money spend for the 2014 season if they don't re-sign McCann its just beyond 2014 that payroll gets tight. I wonder if a starter looking to rebuild his value will see Atlanta as an attractive option because of Andrelton. Its been rumored Josh Johnson will seek a 1 year deal with an NL team. His peripheral stats were good but he is a big injury risk.

stpeteirish
09-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Maybe the Freddy Garcia saga isn't as clear cut as it would appear, it looks like he's going to get a lot of innings before he hits free agency. He might make sense as a long man if he's cheap, and there's no reason he wouldn't be (cheap, that is).

I don't see how you can pass on Downs with the other two lefties coming off TJ. Try to sign him first and go after EOF if Downs is too expensive.

Is Pena not expected to be ready for the opening of the season? Some of your comments seem to imply that. He's a no brainer if healthy, and you don't offer Janish if you have Pena.

Elliot Johnson and Schafer might be fighting for the same spot. Reed Johnson at 1.5 mill makes a lot of sense, assuming his leg gets better. That would leave Terdo in AAA another year but we have control and can always call him up when needed.

National media all think McCann is a goner. But the money saved will allow us to retain Hudson and you CANNOT go into April with only 5 rotation worthy guys. Wood can stay on the back burner till someone falters.

NYCBrave
09-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe the Freddy Garcia saga isn't as clear cut as it would appear, it looks like he's going to get a lot of innings before he hits free agency. He might make sense as a long man if he's cheap, and there's no reason he wouldn't be (cheap, that is).

I don't see how you can pass on Downs with the other two lefties coming off TJ. Try to sign him first and go after EOF if Downs is too expensive.

Is Pena not expected to be ready for the opening of the season? Some of your comments seem to imply that. He's a no brainer if healthy, and you don't offer Janish if you have Pena.

Elliot Johnson and Schafer might be fighting for the same spot. Reed Johnson at 1.5 mill makes a lot of sense, assuming his leg gets better. That would leave Terdo in AAA another year but we have control and can always call him up when needed.

National media all think McCann is a goner. But the money saved will allow us to retain Hudson and you CANNOT go into April with only 5 rotation worthy guys. Wood can stay on the back burner till someone falters.

You mention only 5 rotation worthy guys, what about Graham, is he ready? Is Gilmartin no longer an option? You can also always pick up a cheap veteran to stash in AAA.

skidlee
09-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Graham has been hurt for over half the year. I wouldn't count on him as being an option for Atlanta before september.

I hope both EOF and Venters are brought back. I can see Venters before EOF because the braves have control over him but I would not mind a pen with 3 lefties. We also have to keep in mind Avilan work load. 3 out of Downs, EOF, Venters, and Avilan would be awesome. People need to remind themselves that Walden is not a picture of health.

The Chosen One
09-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Trade/Release Uggla, and there's money to free up for McCann.

Trade Laird, and use Gattis as backup C and 2nd utility OF/1B guy.

Bethancourt can be backup C if needed.

50PoundHead
09-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Pena is not a FA. He is arbitration eligible. I imagine the Braves' offer will be contingent on his progress.

Reed Johnson isn't a bad option at $1.6 million, but he doesn't bring a ton to the table. Is he that much better than Cunningham or Terdoslavich? My guess is he'll be bought out.

I'm not counting on Beachy at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Hudson is considered.

I hope they keep McCann, but I doubt they will.

The Chosen One
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM
They should use Beachy like they did Medlen last year (2012). Start him in the pen first.

Bring Hudson back with a nice deal.

If anybody gets hurt, take Beachy out of the pen and have him light it up like Medlen did.

Problem with Beachy vs. Medlen, is his return was rushed and during the middle of hte year. Medlen's TJ was in August/Late July of 2010 I think, and when he came back he only pitched a little bit in September, and had another offseason to recover. It was 2 years before he was a starter. Beachy was literally a year and a few weeks.

bravebonebook
09-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Most of these guys seem to be parts to a greater whole instead of 'gamechangers' (except McCann). I'd sign as many as possible unless they appear to have no value to the team (hello, Kameron Loe). If this year taught us nothing, it's that you cannot win unless you have near 40 players available for a season! Pitching losses alone were silly so I say having more starters and relievers than you need for a 25 man roster is a good start!! Hudson, EOF, Venters, Downs, even Ayala and Garcia can be good pitchers to have available when the inevitable need arises. Work out reasonable deals and load up the MLB and AAA rosters. And don't forget trade options that always are available...