PDA

View Full Version : TUESDAY THREAD FINAL 4/25 ... Most important day so far

rico43
04-25-2017, 08:23 AM
TUESDAY SCOREBOARD

CLASS AAA

Rochester 5, Gwinnett 4

SP: Newcomb 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 6 K (92 P)
Chapman 1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Dirks 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K
LP: Cruz (1-1) 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

Ruiz 1-4, HR (1st), RBI
Howard 1-4, RBI, K
Albies 1-4
Rojas 1-4, 2B, R, RBI, 3 K
Lalli 1-3, R, BB
Camargo 2-3, R

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_04_25_gwiaaa_rocaaa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

CLASS AA

Mississippi 3, Montgomery 2

WP: Fried (1-2) 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, HBP (((z
Reynolds 0.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 1 K
Biddle (Save, 1) 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

James 1-4, HR (2nd), 2 RBI
Meneses 1-4, RBI

LINK
(http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_04_25_msbaax_monaax_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)
ADVANCED CLASS A

Florida 22, Palm Beach 2
10-run first inning!

WP: Sanchez (1-2) 6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER(2R), 1 BB, 5 K
McLaughlin 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Graham 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Acuna 3-5, 3 R, 3B, HR (2nd), 5 RBI, HBP
Riley 2-6, HR (2nd), 2 R, 2 RBI
A. Jackson 3-6, 3 R, HR (7th), 2 RBI (DH)
Neslony 3-4, 4 R, HR (2nd), 3 RBI, HBP
Didder 1-4, R, 2 RBI, BB, OF assist
Lago 2-3, 2B, 2 R, 4 RBI, HBP

LINK
(http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_04_25_pbcafa_floafa_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

CLASS A

GAME ONE
Rome 2, Hickory 1 (7)

SP: Walker 4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
WP: Kennedy (2-0) 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K

Ventura 1-4, R
Pache 2-3, RBI
Concepcion 2-3, SB
Cruz 1-2, SAC

LINK (http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_04_25_romafx_hicafx_1&t=g_box&sid=milb)

GAME TWO
Rome 4, Hickory 1 (7)

WP: Caicedo (4-0) 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 B, 2 K
Custred (Save, 1) 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Yepez 2-2, 2B, 2 BB
Seymour 3-4, R, 2 RBI
Josephina 1-3, R, BB, SB
Ventura 2-2, 2 R, SB (9th) (.381)

LINK
(http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_04_25_romafx_hicafx_2&t=g_box&sid=milb)
All Times Eastern

mqt
04-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Palm Beach @ Florida (8-10), 7:05

WP: Sanchez (0-2, 7.36)

A bit presumptuous given his ERA, don't you think?

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

beat me to it...

Hudson2
04-25-2017, 11:18 AM
We really need one of Fried or Newcomb to prove themselves this year that they can be a staple in the MLB rotation. If both were to flop then the rebuild looks a lot more bleak.

CJ9
04-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Fried so far -- three scoreless innings, one base runner on a HBP and five strikeouts.

IslandBrave
04-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Mark Bowman‏ @mlbbowman

A veteran scout who recently watched Double-A Mississippi: "That's the first time I've given a MLB grade to all five guys in a rotation."

Russ2dollas
04-25-2017, 11:40 AM
We really need one of Fried or Newcomb to prove themselves this year that they can be a staple in the MLB rotation. If both were to flop then the rebuild looks a lot more bleak.

depends on what you mean by flop. I think both are going to be good pitchers and would be now.

I think Newcombe could be a very good 5th starter now. Look at what 5th starters do. He'd have some games where he sucks but he'd have more where he's on fire.

I think Fried can be good now too.

The issue for me is will either of these guys be a TOR. Not so sure. Even less sure that they hit the ground as a TOR, maybe Newcombe has to figure it out like Folty.

I like JT at 2 and Folty as a strong 3. I think we can find a 4/5 out of Newcombe, Fried, Weigel, Simms, Blair or Wisler. But we really need some guys to step up and be TOR. WE need at least 1 TOR stud and we need a couple to be 2-3.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Fried so far -- three scoreless innings, one base runner on a HBP and five strikeouts.

4 scoreless..no hits.. did just issue a walk, but immediately picked him off first. need to run down and get ear buds so I can listen at work.

msstate7
04-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Mark Bowman‏ @mlbbowman

A veteran scout who recently watched Double-A Mississippi: "That's the first time I've given a MLB grade to all five guys in a rotation."

Chip and joe told the same story the other night.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 11:54 AM
What would you do: Fried has 8 not hit innings at 95 pitches. Send him out or say good job. Your arm is more important. Since I think most will go with option 2. What pitch count do you send him back out. 85, 90?

msstate7
04-25-2017, 11:58 AM
What would you do: Fried has 8 not hit innings at 95 pitches. Send him out or say good job. Your arm is more important. Since I think most will go with option 2. What pitch count do you send him back out. 85, 90?

Promote em to Atlanta

mqt
04-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Absolutely the latter. I'd defer to people with a better understanding of Fries's elbow to determine a pitch count, but if he hits that mark, I absolutely take him out.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Absolutely the latter. I'd defer to people with a better understanding of Fries's elbow to determine a pitch count, but if he hits that mark, I absolutely take him out.

he gave up a hit last inning.. questionable.. but still. But if that came up, I agree. I would pull him. I think my mark would be 80 pitches this early in the season and he has only had 2 starts.

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 12:24 PM

I feel Newcomb could be a #4-#5 starter now. He will be like Folty...it will be a slow process, but I think he will get there. I really don't think you will see his true potential until he's 25-26 at the earliest. Might as well bring him up at some point this year and let him learn.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 12:28 PM
So Fried is dealing.. and he gets pulled in the 8th.. which is fine.. except you bring in DANNY F'ING REYNOLDS...

let me refresh your memory of this douche.. 10 or 11 pitches were balls when the Mississppi Braves gave up 8 runs in the 9th,,

and he promptly gives up a single and double.. please send this guy to Danville.. he is garbage.

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 12:28 PM
To me after the trade deadline it should be Sims, Wisler or Blair (whichever one separates themselves and if neither do then Fried), and Newcomb. The young guys are coming fast so we realistically have a year to see these older guys pitch (minus Sims who is still decently young), to access who is kept and who is traded. You just don't give up on a big lefty who throws 95 plus and is under 25. He's too rare of a commodity.

50PoundHead
04-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Great finishing line for Fried. 7 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 6 K. 77 pitches/49 strikes. I was following on my phone and the strike-to-ball ratio fell as the game wore on, but all-in-all a very solid start.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Great finishing line for Fried. 7 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 6 K. 77 pitches/49 strikes. I was following on my phone and the strike-to-ball ratio fell as the game wore on, but all-in-all a very solid start.

his last 2 innings, he started getting behind guys. so that pans out correctly.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Reynolds now has given up a double to cut the lead to 3-2.. No one out. seriously, I am getting pissed and I shouldn't because minor league results mean ****.. but this f**ker is complete trash and doesn't need to ruin such a great start from Fried.

striker42
04-25-2017, 12:33 PM
I just hope we don't give up on Newcomb and it become an Arrieta situation. Patience costs us nothing.

zbhargrove
04-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Refreshing to see such a dominant outing from Fried. Hoping he was just off a little bit because of being rusty after his brief break with back tightness

cajunrevenge
04-25-2017, 12:49 PM
I liked Arrieta way back when he was drafted and he was viewed as only having mid rotation potential. Just wanted to make that point to people who think ceilings are written in stone. Newcomb I am convinced is a future closer. At this point I won't be disappointed with that outcome.

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 12:52 PM
I just hope we don't give up on Newcomb and it become an Arrieta situation. Patience costs us nothing.

Exactly he could be a decent #5 while learning because his stuff is good enough even when he struggles. I could see us giving up before too long on Blair or Wisler because their stuff isn't that special. We need to be much more careful with Sims and Newcomb. TOR talent doesn't grow on trees.

zbhargrove
04-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Exactly he could be a decent #5 while learning because his stuff is good enough even when he struggles. I could see us giving up before too long on Blair or Wisler because their stuff isn't that special. We need to be much more careful with Sims and Newcomb. TOR talent doesn't grow on trees.

Nonsense, I have a TOR tree in my backyard

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Nonsense, I have a TOR tree in my backyard

Ha!!! You had one all this time and are just now telling us?? We could have drafted some hitters!!

smootness
04-25-2017, 01:03 PM
I liked Arrieta way back when he was drafted and he was viewed as only having mid rotation potential. Just wanted to make that point to people who think ceilings are written in stone. Newcomb I am convinced is a future closer. At this point I won't be disappointed with that outcome.

This is a great point, and it happens far more often with pitchers than hitters. Now, we're still talking about very small %s and no moves should be made on the hope that a guy like Newcomb flips a magical switch at some point. But it's something to always stay mindful of.

As for Sims in the post above this, I don't think Sims truly has TOR potential. I think Newcomb does.

thethe
04-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Jesse Biddle with a nice outing. Guy was a first round pick. Could be a sneaky bullpen candidate towards the end of the year if not early next season.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Jesse Biddle with a nice outing. Guy was a first round pick. Could be a sneaky bullpen candidate towards the end of the year if not early next season.

He came in and calmed down the mess that Reynolds started. really no one hit him hard. it was funny.. he got ahead of the last hitter 0-2, then threw 3 straight garbage pitches and Araiza threw a bullet back to him.. he got the message and struck him out the next pitch.

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 01:26 PM
This is a great point, and it happens far more often with pitchers than hitters. Now, we're still talking about very small %s and no moves should be made on the hope that a guy like Newcomb flips a magical switch at some point. But it's something to always stay mindful of.

As for Sims in the post above this, I don't think Sims truly has TOR potential. I think Newcomb does.

??
Almost everything I've read on Sims says he has TOR potential. Inconsistent...sure...the talent is there. I'm not one of the many originally stating that.

There isn't a magical "switch". These type pitchers develop late in a lot of instances. Why? Because their stuff was so friggin good coming up, they never really had to learn how to pitch. Then they get to the upper levels and have to adjust. Sure, some don't and flame out (literally). You have to give them time. How much time?? Folty is nearing 26 and is just now maybe/hopefully coming into his own. He is finally....actually....pitching.

smootness
04-25-2017, 02:22 PM
??
Almost everything I've read on Sims says he has TOR potential. Inconsistent...sure...the talent is there. I'm not one of the many originally stating that.

There isn't a magical "switch". These type pitchers develop late in a lot of instances. Why? Because their stuff was so friggin good coming up, they never really had to learn how to pitch. Then they get to the upper levels and have to adjust. Sure, some don't and flame out (literally). You have to give them time. How much time?? Folty is nearing 26 and is just now maybe/hopefully coming into his own. He is finally....actually....pitching.

Well, Arrieta pretty much flipped a switch.

And I haven't really seen anyone in the last couple years at least say Sims has legit TOR potential. His fastball is not good enough. I've seen some that think he still has a chance to be a decent major league SP but most are pretty much resigned to him in the pen.

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Can we at least agree Sims has more potential than Wisler lol?

Tapate50
04-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Well, Arrieta pretty much flipped a switch.

And I haven't really seen anyone in the last couple years at least say Sims has legit TOR potential. His fastball is not good enough. I've seen some that think he still has a chance to be a decent major league SP but most are pretty much resigned to him in the pen.

I have not read his fb is not good enough. Link?

That's a HUGE red flag, and I really don't remember anything like that.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 03:18 PM
I have not read his fb is not good enough. Link?

That's a HUGE red flag, and I really don't remember anything like that.

I think the only thing I remember reading/hearing is he wasn't able to control his fastball. his movement often took it out of the zone. if he can control it to either get more called strikes or deceive the hitter to get more swinging will be the key. His Curve is most definitely TOR good. He might need to build a 3rd pitch to really become TOR however.

bravesguy
04-25-2017, 03:32 PM
I think the only thing I remember reading/hearing is he wasn't able to control his fastball. his movement often took it out of the zone. if he can control it to either get more called strikes or deceive the hitter to get more swinging will be the key. His Curve is most definitely TOR good. He might need to build a 3rd pitch to really become TOR however.

This is what I have heard. His FB has lots of movement and takes it out of the zone and his change is below average. If his change becomes average he can be a starter. If he can control his FB, he can be TOR.

Notice in his history, he has either blown people away or been hit hard. If his stuff is good that day, he is TOR easy, but his mechanics sometimes falter and he is just plain bad.

Julio3000
04-25-2017, 03:35 PM
How many guys do we have who "just" need a 3rd pitch?

smootness
04-25-2017, 03:39 PM
I may be wrong, but the things I've read say his fastball is too flat...which seems to be the opposite of what others have read.

bravesguy
04-25-2017, 03:40 PM
That's the rub. Every starter needs an off speed option. A 3rd pitch, just to be viable as a starter. That is why most on this board and others say pitcher x (Newcomb, Sims, etc) are bound to be high leverage relievers.

Yes it is true. The organization is responsible for player development and part of that is to develop a player's 3rd pitch. If Sims has a plus FB and a plus plus Curve but his change is below average, can the organization develop it to be average. And if they do, then he is a #2/#3 at the worst. I think they try until he reaches 24 or 25 yrs old. Until then, they need to try (too much value) in starters with plus stuff.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 03:40 PM

our depth in that department is staggering. but seriously, I would rather be in this situation than, after our top 4 pitching prospects, we have nothing. The hitting has been abysmal this year however.

Enscheff
04-25-2017, 03:42 PM

Riiiight. I would be interested to see all your "predictions" from 10 years ago.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 03:42 PM
I may be wrong, but the things I've read say his fastball is too flat...which seems to be the opposite of what others have read.

not sure..maybe. I watched 2-3 games and his fastball moves in on righties. he has a four seamer that is flat and very straight.. but should play off his other pitches.

Enscheff
04-25-2017, 03:49 PM

Teams can't keep guys in the minors forever. At some point they must be given a chance at the MLB level, and a team in contention often can't afford to give a guy unlimited chances to "figure it out".

Arrieta wasn't good until 2014, and the Cubs were bad in 2013/2014, so they could afford to let him "figure it out". This is what the Braves should currently be doing rather than paying Dickey, Colon and Garcia $30M to give a non-contending team mediocre innings.

If the Braves are still awful by the time Newcomb is 28 like Arrieta was, the rebuild will have already failed miserably and there will be new Johns in the FO.

chipchildress
04-25-2017, 04:37 PM
I agree about getting those young arms in there, but it's not a terrible idea to let the old guys take some lumps and try to sell them before throwing the new guys in. That way you can't pin a crappy season on the young pitchers you're trying out. Confidence and such can be pretty important to young athletes.

Enscheff
04-25-2017, 05:14 PM
I agree about getting those young arms in there, but it's not a terrible idea to let the old guys take some lumps and try to sell them before throwing the new guys in. That way you can't pin a crappy season on the young pitchers you're trying out. Confidence and such can be pretty important to young athletes.

The example we are currently discussing is Arrieta, who was not young when the Cubs gave him a chance at the MLB level. He was a disappointing prospect who the Cubs decided to take a chance on because they were terrible. The Braves should be doing the same thing in an attempt to find the next Arrieta, not paying old pitchers $30M to eat innings.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Wait. Swanson should be in AAA to learn to hit but pitchers should learn to pitch in the majors. Maybe they are just trying to keep Wisler's service time in check.

Enscheff
04-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Wait. Swanson should be in AAA to learn to hit but pitchers should learn to pitch in the majors. Maybe they are just trying to keep Wisler's service time in check.

Unsurprisingly, you failed to comprehend what I wrote. I'll explain it for the 3rd time...

Arrieta was not a young pitcher when the Cubs acquired him. He was a 27 year old former 5th round pick that didn't pan out. The Cubs were going to be terrible, so they decided to give him a shot to see if they could figure things out because they identified something they like with him (probably velocity and spin rate). They ended up figuring things out, and the Cubs were rewarded with 16 WAR over 3 great seasons.

The Braves should be trying to find the next Arrieta, not paying stopgap pitchers $30M to eat innings in a noncompetitive season. I don't know which 27 year old the Braves should be giving these chances to, but I'm sure a little research could dig up some candidates.

Is there any chance you were able to wrap your head around the difference between Arrieta's situation and Wisler's situation? Or are you just going to keep proving how stupid you are?

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 05:51 PM
So it is better to trade for 28 year old quad A guys in hopes to hit than to pay reliable pitching so you don't have to call up prospects too soon and that can be flipped if they pitch well. Brilliant.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Rome is good

Enscheff
04-25-2017, 06:08 PM
So it is better to trade for 28 year old quad A guys in hopes to hit than to pay reliable pitching so you don't have to call up prospects too soon and that can be flipped if they pitch well. Brilliant.

If you think you can identify the next Arrieta, yes. The Braves aren't even trying. And you aren't taking issue with the idea, you simply didn't understand the difference between Arrieta's and Wisler's situations. You are THAT stupid.

You think there are only 2 options to eat innings at the MLB level? Pay mediocre veterans to eat innings, or rush young prospects?

The Braves could have very easily rolled the dice on a couple attempts at finding the next Arrieta, and if/when those guys failed called up a young guy who deserved a promotion or went with another filler guy like Collmenter. Essentially exactly what they are doing with Colon/Dickey/Garcia, but with a much better potential payoff. What are any of those 3 guys going to net the Braves? Another Ellis? Yay!

Your stupidity it amusing though, so thanks for that.

msstate7
04-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Unsurprisingly, you failed to comprehend what I wrote. I'll explain it for the 3rd time...

Arrieta was not a young pitcher when the Cubs acquired him. He was a 27 year old former 5th round pick that didn't pan out. The Cubs were going to be terrible, so they decided to give him a shot to see if they could figure things out because they identified something they like with him (probably velocity and spin rate). They ended up figuring things out, and the Cubs were rewarded with 16 WAR over 3 great seasons.

The Braves should be trying to find the next Arrieta, not paying stopgap pitchers $30M to eat innings in a noncompetitive season. I don't know which 27 year old the Braves should be giving these chances to, but I'm sure a little research could dig up some candidates.

Is there any chance you were able to wrap your head around the difference between Arrieta's situation and Wisler's situation? Or are you just going to keep proving how stupid you are?

Didn't the cubs trade a stopgap (Feldman) to get Jake? Maybe the FO is hoping to trade our stopgaps for a high ceiling guy

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:14 PM
How many jakes been 'found' since. Also the braves paid for reliability so they didn't have to
Call up someone deserving too soon. And like state said they could then trade said reliable pitching for that 'shot'.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Newk hitting 96 on black. Pitcher duel forming

Enscheff
04-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Didn't the cubs trade a stopgap (Feldman) to get Jake? Maybe the FO is hoping to trade our stopgaps for a high ceiling guy

They were definitely acquired with an eye towards flipping them, but when have we seen the Braves leverage the advantage of meaningless MLB innings like the Cubs did with Arrieta? Nothing the Braves have ever done tells me those veteran pitchers will be flipped for anything other than minor league organizational filler.

The closest we have seen the Braves come to "seeing what a guy can do" is Adonis Garcia, and in that case they couldn't even figure out that it's time to cut bait on the guy. Even when they do the right thing they can't quite get it right.

Enscheff
04-25-2017, 06:17 PM
How many jakes been 'found' since. Also the braves paid for reliability so they didn't have to
Call up someone deserving too soon. And like state said they could then trade said reliable pitching for that 'shot'.

That doesn't change the fact that you didn't even understand my statement...because you're a moron.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Newk hitting 96 on black. Pitcher duel forming

As I typed that. Ozzie and Johan making some noise. Bases loaded one out for Mel

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:18 PM
That doesn't change the fact that you didn't even understand my statement...because you're a moron.

I figured you had no retorte so you revert to mud slinging. Typical and sad.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Rio with a bomb. Very nice. Newk lost some control but still dealing.

msstate7
04-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Rio with a bomb. Very nice. Newk lost some control but still dealing.

Really need Rio to get going... only thing keeping him down is him

mqt
04-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Florida might just pull this one out tonight, apparently Rico knew something we didn't.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Kills me how Newcomb will just lose control. He can't find the zone

chipchildress
04-25-2017, 06:51 PM
If you think you can identify the next Arrieta, yes. The Braves aren't even trying. And you aren't taking issue with the idea, you simply didn't understand the difference between Arrieta's and Wisler's situations. You are THAT stupid.

You think there are only 2 options to eat innings at the MLB level? Pay mediocre veterans to eat innings, or rush young prospects?

The Braves could have very easily rolled the dice on a couple attempts at finding the next Arrieta, and if/when those guys failed called up a young guy who deserved a promotion or went with another filler guy like Collmenter. Essentially exactly what they are doing with Colon/Dickey/Garcia, but with a much better potential payoff. What are any of those 3 guys going to net the Braves? Another Ellis? Yay!

Your stupidity it amusing though, so thanks for that.

you seem to be contradicting yourself here. you'd like the braves to turn newcomb into arrietta by being patient and allowing him to learn.

currently the braves are being patient with newcomb and letting him grow.

what's the big rush here? i'm sure he'll have plenty of chance to suck at the big league level in time. and to complete your story, then he'd finally be old enough and ready e enough to be arrietta. but this time he'd be under contract since the braves didn't waste early years on him only to watch him fail and ultimately get traded or quit.

instead they waited and let him learn his craft. then they let him work his craft in the big leagues as the braves got closer and closer. finally he breaks out just as the braves are back as world series contenders.

that's your wish. that's what they're doing. two months of garcia will not prevent newcomb from turning into arrietta. promise.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Florida might just pull this one out tonight, apparently Rico knew something we didn't.

Holy cow you made me go look at that game. WOW

msstate7
04-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Acuna 1-1, 3b, 3 RBI
Riley 2-2, hr, 2 RBI

smootness
04-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Teams can't keep guys in the minors forever. At some point they must be given a chance at the MLB level, and a team in contention often can't afford to give a guy unlimited chances to "figure it out".

Arrieta wasn't good until 2014, and the Cubs were bad in 2013/2014, so they could afford to let him "figure it out". This is what the Braves should currently be doing rather than paying Dickey, Colon and Garcia $30M to give a non-contending team mediocre innings.

If the Braves are still awful by the time Newcomb is 28 like Arrieta was, the rebuild will have already failed miserably and there will be new Johns in the FO.

So the Braves are dumb for not calling a guy like Newcomb up and paying him while he figures it out...but they're also stupid for calling guys up while we're bad because we have to pay them earlier and lose them earlier?

Oh, you just twist every single situation into somehow a negative for the Braves?

For the record, I'll take 100 blind homers before I care to listen to 1 blind hater.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 07:08 PM
So the Braves are dumb for not calling a guy like Newcomb up and paying him while he figures it out...but they're also stupid for calling guys up while we're bad because we have to pay them earlier and lose them earlier?

Oh, you just twist every single situation into somehow a negative for the Braves?

For the record, I'll take 100 blind homers before I care to listen to 1 blind hater.

No we should trade for quad A guys in hopes something happens that happens once every ten years. Also hope those quad A guys don't break down resulting in calling up guys not ready. If you think about. It really is the only thing that is not moronic.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Newk looked good in 5th.

CJ9
04-25-2017, 07:29 PM
I wonder if we get to the point where Neslony gets at bats ahead of Braxton Davidson. Neslony has done nothing but hit since signing, and Davidson has been pretty much horrible since signing.

msstate7
04-25-2017, 07:38 PM
I wonder if we get to the point where Neslony gets at bats ahead of Braxton Davidson. Neslony has done nothing but hit since signing, and Davidson has been pretty much horrible since signing.

Is Davidson still getting a lot of walks? Perhaps we should tell him to start swinging away early in counts. Whatever he's doing is not working

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Is Davidson still getting a lot of walks? Perhaps we should tell him to start swinging away early in counts. Whatever he's doing is not working

He is still pretty young. So he will keep getting at bats. But eventually we will trade him to a rebuilding club who thinks he might turn into trout.

cajunrevenge
04-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Riiiight. I would be interested to see all your "predictions" from 10 years ago.

Get the sand out of your vagina. You are like the Bizzaro Bill Shanks. I didn't say I predicted he would become an ace. Unlike yourself I don't post here to try and inflate my ego. I am right a lot and I am wrong a lot. I have no problems admitting what I got wrong. Go up a few threads and you will see me saying I liked Braxton Davidson and that sure isn't going well right now. Enlighten me how you go about evaluating draft prospects since there is no WAR stat for you to jerk off to.

msstate7
04-25-2017, 07:54 PM
He is still pretty young. So he will keep getting at bats. But eventually we will trade him to a rebuilding club who thinks he might turn into trout.

Probably the cubs... the genius will give away the positional version of Jake arrieta

rico43
04-25-2017, 07:54 PM
No big secret why I call this night the most important. Just about every starter going had something to prove and it has been quite a coincidence that each of them had his best start of the year today.

Makes me feel like I've been paying attention.

Russ2dollas
04-25-2017, 07:56 PM
I think the pitchers need to work it out in the majors.

I get the signings we did. I'd prefer not to have dickey and let the best man win that spot. But maybe the extra service time and humility will pay off. I hope all 3 one year guys are gone at the deadline and our guys are up

nsacpi
04-25-2017, 08:21 PM

I get the signings we did. I'd prefer not to have dickey and let the best man win that spot. But maybe the extra service time and humility will pay off. I hope all 3 one year guys are gone at the deadline and our guys are up

I have the opposite view. I'd try to minimize "learning time" in the majors. Some of it is unavoidable. But I'd want those six pre-free agency years to be as near peak production as possible and as little learning curve as possible.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 08:21 PM

I agree with this..

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 08:23 PM
No big secret why I call this night the most important. Just about every starter going had something to prove and it has been quite a coincidence that each of them had his best start of the year today.

Makes me feel like I've been paying attention.

Fried was great.. Newk was ok... first 4 hitters..he was awesome.. then partially through the 2nd until the end of 4th he got lucky.. deep counts and several line drives snagged. great 5th.

ixiXSolidXixi
04-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Florida up 17-2!!

CJ9
04-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Neslony now homers for Florida. He needs to be playing every day.

ixiXSolidXixi
04-25-2017, 08:38 PM
I am at the game and Palm beach team hit florida batters 2 or 3 times.

ixiXSolidXixi
04-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Any one here been at Gwinnett games? How difficult is to get autographs?

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Fried was great.. Newk was ok... first 4 hitters..he was awesome.. then partially through the 2nd until the end of 4th he got lucky.. deep counts and several line drives snagged. great 5th.

Dang 2 hits and 0 runs over 5 innings. I mean he "did" walk 4, but that's not a "ok" line to me.

CJ9
04-25-2017, 08:51 PM
Acuna two-run homer. He's 3-5 with a HBP and will finish a double short of the cycle. Hopefully this gets him going.

bravesguy
Carmargo 2-3 again. He now has an OPS of 1.167.

What is his deal, he is playing great. He is known for his defense. He has 1 of ATL's 2 pinch hits this year. Is he a real prospect or why isn't he on Atlanta bench?

msstate7
Acuna warming up... 3-5, 3b, hr

ixiXSolidXixi
04-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Alex jackson just homer

CJ9
And Alex Jackson follows with a homer two batters later. What a night for the Fire Frogs.

bravesguy
A. Jackson with his 7th HR. Watching him, what is wrong with him? Is it just the Catcher DH thing that keeps people for actually going nuts over this guy?

CJ9
04-25-2017, 08:56 PM
A. Jackson with his 7th HR. Watching him, what is wrong with him? Is it just the Catcher DH thing that keeps people for actually going nuts over this guy?

I think people here are certainly excited. But it's probably smart to stay guarded about it considering he has 18 Ks and 2 BBs. No question he has exceeded expectations so far though.

mqt
04-25-2017, 09:00 PM

Sounds like you need a ticket: http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6690

msstate7
04-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Neslony now homers for Florida. He needs to be playing every day.

He also committed his 6 error tonight. Yikes

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Dang 2 hits and 0 runs over 5 innings. I mean he "did" walk 4, but that's not a "ok" line to me.

right.. but I was saying he could have been a lot worse. He got behind a lot of hitters. Rio made a great diving catch that saved a run.. another liner that turned into a double play.. another liner that Ozzie stabbed. Yes he was effective and had a good stat line... but the meat and potato of the game was just ok, imo.. 90+ pitches to get through 5 innings.

not sure if it was you, but comparing him to Folty with development is probably spot on. he just seems to mentally fall apart.. but when he puts it together, he is incredible..

bravesguy
04-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Minor league catching right now:
AA - Kabe Scivicque - 282/356
A+ - Jackson - 338 w/7HR, Morales .287/.344
A - Tanner Murphy - .281/.405 + Hebert + cumberland

Maybe catching has a chance in the future?

CJ9
04-25-2017, 09:14 PM
He also committed his 6 error tonight. Yikes

Wow I didn't realize that. They are trying to teach him first base, and he didn't play there in college. Wonder if that's the problem. I'd like them to just give him his natural corner OF spot and move Davidson to first or the bench.

bravesfanMatt
04-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Minor league catching right now:
AA - Kabe Scivicque - 282/356
A+ - Jackson - 338 w/7HR, Morales .287/.344
A - Tanner Murphy - .281/.405 + Hebert + cumberland

Maybe catching has a chance in the future?

Herbert has been so much better this year. I listened to his game today and he nailed a guy at second and kept every ball in front of him.. Can see why he is known for defense.

TheBravos
04-25-2017, 09:37 PM
right.. but I was saying he could have been a lot worse. He got behind a lot of hitters. Rio made a great diving catch that saved a run.. another liner that turned into a double play.. another liner that Ozzie stabbed. Yes he was effective and had a good stat line... but the meat and potato of the game was just ok, imo.. 90+ pitches to get through 5 innings.

not sure if it was you, but comparing him to Folty with development is probably spot on. he just seems to mentally fall apart.. but when he puts it together, he is incredible..

Ah...I see. Was just looking at the line and didn't watch the game.

Yes, it was me with the Folty comp. I think they should bring him up at the trade deadline and just learn.

rico43
04-25-2017, 10:58 PM

You doubt me ...

UNCBlue012
04-26-2017, 04:20 AM
DANG. What a game! I'm thrilled Acuna and Jackson look so good. Riley has picked himself up a bit since his horrid start, as well.

I'm more encouraged about Fried's start than anything. Dude killed it yesterday.

Tapate50
04-26-2017, 05:49 AM
DANG. What a game! I'm thrilled Acuna and Jackson look so good. Riley has picked himself up a bit since his horrid start, as well.

I'm more encouraged about Fried's start than anything. Dude killed it yesterday.

Fried has picked up right where he left off... as our hottest pitcher most likely. He had the one game he tried to play through spasms and that's the low light of his season.

UNCBlue012
04-26-2017, 05:55 AM
Fried has picked up right where he left off... as our hottest pitcher most likely. He had the one game he tried to play through spasms and that's the low light of his season.

Absolutely. I've vocally supported Fried and think he at the least will be a good 3/4 pitcher. If he can stay healthy, the sky is the limit.

As frustrating as this season has been, I'm really confident in the arms we have coming down the pipe. Our contention plan may be pushed back further than expected, but I think we have legit talent coming our way.

The Chosen One
04-26-2017, 05:56 AM
Love Fried. Only thing that worries me is his mechanics remind me of Venters.

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Love Fried. Only thing that worries me is his mechanics remind me of Venters.

That is my concern as well. hopefully we can get a few great years from him and then trade him off as the younger crop starts to press the rotation.

You have to be impressed with the AA rotation. That is usually the hardest jump A+ to AA and we have several guys who went from A to AA and early returns have been outstanding. Then you have the Rome entire pitching staff that is just dominate right now. Plus GoHard in A+ doing well.. Sims has looked good. Wisler/Blair/Newk all seem to have moments.. plus your pure stuff guys like Touki and Sanchez.. The MLB team has been depressing, but I have enjoyed the early start for our top prospects and beyond..

msstate7
04-26-2017, 07:01 AM
That is my concern as well. hopefully we can get a few great years from him and then trade him off as the younger crop starts to press the rotation.

You have to be impressed with the AA rotation. That is usually the hardest jump A+ to AA and we have several guys who went from A to AA and early returns have been outstanding. Then you have the Rome entire pitching staff that is just dominate right now. Plus GoHard in A+ doing well.. Sims has looked good. Wisler/Blair/Newk all seem to have moments.. plus your pure stuff guys like Touki and Sanchez.. The MLB team has been depressing, but I have enjoyed the early start for our top prospects and beyond..
I felt pretty optimistic about the future; but then I found out soroka will never be an effective MLB pitcher and we signed dickey/colon over the next arrieta

bravesfanMatt
04-26-2017, 07:04 AM
I felt pretty optimistic about the future; but then I found out soroka will never be an effective MLB pitcher and we signed dickey/colon over the next arrieta

why do you have to always piss in my cheerios.. I am all feeling good and you slap me with a dose of reality... Why did we not sign Arrieta 2.0 this offseason.. genius at work I guess.

Southcack77
04-26-2017, 07:06 AM
The example we are currently discussing is Arrieta, who was not young when the Cubs gave him a chance at the MLB level. He was a disappointing prospect who the Cubs decided to take a chance on because they were terrible. The Braves should be doing the same thing in an attempt to find the next Arrieta, not paying old pitchers $30M to eat innings.

What you said wasn't immediately clear, but got it now.

You want the braves to acquire more formerly highly drafted pitchers with tools who haven't performed except you want them to play them at the major league level.

You aren't sure those guys are, which is odd since you keep a detailed list of every somewhat obscure position free agent the braves should have overpaid.

I assume this is just awaiting research.

Nothing wrong with your strategy I guess except the market in high upside but disappointing relatively young major league pitchers seems like it might be tight. Taijuan walker is one, I guess.

smootness
04-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Was Arrieta even considered a guy with great upside? He was drafted in the 5th round out of TCU after a decent career there, and he got worse as a junior. Nothing from his numbers would indicate he had some kind of immense potential. His K/9 his junior year was under 9.

atl717
04-26-2017, 08:45 AM
He was a 1st rounder prior to an injury.

smootness
04-26-2017, 08:58 AM
He was a 1st rounder prior to an injury.

I do see that he signed a huge bonus for a 5th rounder. It just seems odd that he would have even been considered a 1st rounder at any point after his junior year. A K/BB ratio of under 2 at the college level doesn't scream 'elite'.