PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Andrelton Simmons defense

Teheran_49
09-14-2013, 10:05 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/74452/atlanta-braves-shortstop-andrelton-simmons-will-challenge-your-metaphysical-beliefs

Sorry if this was posted somewhere but I didn't see it. Obviously everyone is taking notice of just how great of a SS we have here in Atlanta.

Braves1976
09-14-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/74452/atlanta-braves-shortstop-andrelton-simmons-will-challenge-your-metaphysical-beliefs

Sorry if this was posted somewhere but I didn't see it. Obviously everyone is taking notice of just how great of a SS we have here in Atlanta.

Thanks for posting, I hadn't read that one. It's good to see more writers taking notice of Simmons great defense. Simmons is a big reason we're going to win the NL East.

Heyward
09-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Absolute shame if he doesn't win the NL Gold Glove.

CyYoung31
09-14-2013, 11:05 PM
There's also another great article in the latest issue of SI.

Runnin
09-14-2013, 11:09 PM
If his throw would've been a little lower that's the best defensive play ever.
http://i.minus.com/ibxvss5Z70AGQO.gif

Braves1976
09-14-2013, 11:23 PM
If his throw would've been a little lower that's the best defensive play ever.
http://i.minus.com/ibxvss5Z70AGQO.gif

How do you figure? The throw doubled off the runner at first.

Runnin
09-14-2013, 11:52 PM
How do you figure? The throw doubled off the runner at first.
The throw was a little high and the runner would've been safe with a decent slide.

Braves1976
09-14-2013, 11:57 PM
The throw was a little high and the runner would've been safe with a decent slide.

Oh, I thought maybe you were thinking he was safe at first. If I knew you were just being really nitpicky I'd not even bothered.

Dalyn
09-15-2013, 12:00 AM
:facepalm:

cajunrevenge
09-15-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aWb_5a41qhE

This is what I consider the greatest defensive thing I have ever seen. I dont think he made the out but to transfer the ball behind his back to his throwing hand all in one motion while bent over is absurd.

The Chosen One
09-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm waiting for Simmons to chase a double down in the gap that BJ and Gattis are too slow to reach, throw the ball from the outfield fence to home and nail someone on a line.

Dalyn
09-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm waiting for Simmons to chase a double down in the gap that BJ and Gattis are too slow to reach, throw the ball from the outfield fence to home and nail someone on a line.

Chip?

Gary82
09-15-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aWb_5a41qhE

This is what I consider the greatest defensive thing I have ever seen. I dont think he made the out but to transfer the ball behind his back to his throwing hand all in one motion while bent over is absurd.

Holy crap! I've never seen a transfer like that before. I think Andrelton is a Jedi.

Dalyn
09-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Holy crap! I've never seen a transfer like that before. I think Andrelton is a Jedi.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4947159221799738&pid=15.1

Runnin
09-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Chris Johnson: “You can hear (the ball) when he releases it. It’s kind of got that (makes a pfft sound) and you can hear it when he releases it. It just, like, flicks out of his hand. It’s pretty cool because usually when people hit a ball in that hole they’re, like, ‘I’m going to beat this one out.’ We know you’re not. You may think you are, but we know you’re not.

Dalyn
09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Chris Johnson: “You can hear (the ball) when he releases it. It’s kind of got that (makes a pfft sound) and you can hear it when he releases it. It just, like, flicks out of his hand. It’s pretty cool because usually when people hit a ball in that hole they’re, like, ‘I’m going to beat this one out.’ We know you’re not. You may think you are, but we know you’re not.

Johnson gets better and better. Hope we keep him.

thethe
09-15-2013, 12:29 PM

He will be our third baseman next year for sure. Not sure after that though.

Runnin
09-16-2013, 11:52 PM
I have a lot of respect for what he's done this year. He may have been just a throw in in the trade but he took advantage of his opportunity and won himself a starting position on a good team. He didn't fold when Juan started out hot, who everyone said was clearly the better defender. He didn't tank when everyone was saying he couldn't maintain his high average.

He's simply done everything a player can do to win a position. And he's also shut up the naysayers who said he couldn't play defense. Major kudos to him and the year he's had.

Braves1976
09-17-2013, 04:26 AM
And he's also shut up the naysayers who said he couldn't play defense.

Nice try, but if not for Simmons his defense wouldn't be acceptable. Simmons is the main reason why the Braves have been able to cover having two bad defenders at second (Dan Uggla) and third (Chris Johnson). Which is also telling on just how great a season Simmons is having on defense. Further, I like Chris Johnson because he plays hard and is having a great season on offense. But I am not going to join in the spin about his defense that some of y'all are pushing. If he were a good defender we'd not need to bring on Janish regularly late in the game for him.

Now before someone takes what I've said wrongly or twists it into bashing Chris Johnson. I'll note that Justin Upton and Evan Gattis have been bad defensively in the outfield. But like CJ they'd made up for the bad defense with their bat.

thethe
09-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Nobody has ever claimed that Johnson is a good defender. The "popular" sentiment is that he is an all time horrible one. That is what most of us have refuted.

weso1
09-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Simmons has figured out a very unusual way to successfully mask his farts. "Um... yeah Chris that was just the sound of my throw."

gilesfan
09-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Ahhhh, that explains your lack of range.

zitothebrave
09-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Nobody has ever claimed that Johnson is a good defender. The "popular" sentiment is that he is an all time horrible one. That is what most of us have refuted.

He's one of the worst defensive 3B in baseball. Over the past 3 seasons, Johnson is only better than Miggy over that time frame in UZR. He's been better this year but that largely has to do with playing with Simmons. In DRS Johnson is the worst in baseball.

Runnin
09-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Nice try, but if not for Simmons his defense wouldn't be acceptable.
If Simmons was having an average defensive year Chris Johnson would still be at 3B and it would be very acceptable. As long as you're contributing on offense and making the routine plays you don't have to be a defensive whiz. As long as we need hitters who can make contact CJ is going to be very welcome.

zitothebrave
09-17-2013, 09:01 AM
If Simmons was having an average defensive year Chris Johnson would still be at 3B and it would be very acceptable. As long as you're contributing on offense and making the routine plays you don't have to be a defensive whiz. As long as we need hitters who can make contact CJ is going to be very welcome.

Johnson would be starting. That's for surebut he would look much worse. We're lucky that our SS can cover some of his mistakes and turn them into outs. What would be really great is if we could find a 3B with great range to his right.

gilesfan
09-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Why do people keep saying Chris Johnson "makes contact?"

zitothebrave
09-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Why do people keep saying Chris Johnson "makes contact?"

Yeah. Driving the ball is more accurate for Johnson.

I wouldn't say that Gattis is a contact hitter and he has a close K%.

Johnson doesn't K excessively, but the only contact hitter we really have is Simmons.

Tapate50
09-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah. Driving the ball is more accurate for Johnson.

I wouldn't say that Gattis is a contact hitter and he has a close K%.

Johnson doesn't K excessively, but the only contact hitter we really have is Simmons.

Mr Freeman would probably have a case.

zitothebrave
09-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Mr Freeman would probably have a case.

Our 3 highest players in contact% are Simmons (88.0) Mac (85.0) and Jason (80.0) Freddie is right behind them at 77.6.